Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 90 of 657
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2010

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Hook Mountain Massacre IC

    Setsuna

    Having been completely oblivious to the turtle's wound until Red pointed it out, and even more clueless about how bad it is, the Minkan tiefling bites her lip and frowns. "If we heal it, it may realize that and just leave," she says in response to Shalelu mentioning that it wouldn't get them any closer to doing their job. "We should at least try. It is not as if it means any harm to anyone," she says before looking toward Brin, figuring that the Pharasman would be the only one among them capable of properly treating the infected wound.
    Lilith Avatar by AsteriskAmp

    Other Character Avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

    . . . . . .
    Setsuna by Kymme | Desril by Wolfshonor | Eruvia (no background) by Oneris

  2. - Top - End - #62
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2011

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Hook Mountain Massacre IC

    "I'd need a willing patient." Brin answers, mulling their options. "Plus a way to get over there and a place to stand. Or an flying enchantment. And you'd have to be ready to put it down if it changes it mind mid-treatment." She sighs, not quite believing she's agreed to this. Hopefully all the condition would put the others off the plan. She rather wonders what giant snapping turtle soup tastes like.

  3. - Top - End - #63
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    jamieth's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Hook Mountain Massacre IC

    Naya

    Hearing the conversation, Naya realises the plan - if not went off the rails, at least is leaning sideways; "Sorry, turtle, no meal for you today..." she whispers, before speaking a magic word and suddenly disappearing. Seconds later, her voice sounds from besides Brin, "Flight enchantment I can arrange, Miss Brin..."

    Spoiler
    Show
    Invisibility; fly to D3
    Tome of Radiance, a Magical Girl sourcebook for 3.5/PF.

    "Jamie" is fine. TH is mostly there to make sure the name would be free on any forum I'd want to register :-)

    Extended signature

  4. - Top - End - #64
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Miraqariftsky's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Stormwracked verdant hive
    Gender
    Male2Female

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Hook Mountain Massacre IC

    Rico
    HP 55/56 AC 17/22
    Enlarge Person 10/10
    ((<---should I already begin counting this down?))

    Are? Ya? Fooken? Meh? Gorrammit.

    Rico groans as she hears the plan already being carried out by her kindly comrades even as a dozen entirely legitimate reasons flash through her head for putting this poor beast down.

    "Hwat. Een. Deh. Fawk. Arr. Yeh. DOIN"?" she groans once again, then squares herself off, jaw set, crouched, spear hidden and ready just below the waterline. Grating out of the side of her mouth, she says, "Hellgirl, on your head, if this turns into a frak-up. Archers, make ready ta provide coverin' fire..."

    Suddenly getting a crazy yet strangely sensible idea, her wolfish ears flick and she grins crookedly then asks, "Rrrrrrred? Iffen this thing turns sour, ye okay iffen I throw ye at it? Save ye a swim, eh?"

    Blood in the water. Here we go.

    Still, she gives... innocence and compassion... a chance. Slashing her upper lip with a tusk, she spits several bloody globs into the water and stirs up the improvised chum with her spearbutt... but not before taking a step back, anticipating the need for space. "Hey, ya rotten wretch. Treat. Here. Now."

    Gorrammit. Why isn't this a horse an' a carrot or summat like that?

    Spoiler
    Show

    Hokay, Wild Empathy, then. Lessee wot we've got. (1d20+6)[13]
    Avatarcred: HELL YEAH to THE Oneris! Ma'am, thank you, ma'am.
    Previous Avatars: by Dr Bath, Strawberries, zimmerwald1915

  5. - Top - End - #65
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Denial

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Hook Mountain Massacre IC

    GM post

    Spoiler
    Show
    Shalelu WE check: (1d20+3)[17], -4 vs wild animal with INT 1 for 13, +2 for Rico's AA for total 15
    vs Unfriendly Turtle - failed, failure by more than 5 turns Turtle Hostile


    Shalelu makes a wry face, glaring at the turtle through squinted eyes even as she pricks up her ears at the unexpected presence of Naya's voice. "You're all far more optimistic than I am. But very well. Sister Brin, if that turtle as much as puts a claw out of line, give it a nice dose of arrow through the skull. Red, whatever you do now, don't let it eat you."

    Pacing cautiously along the river bank to where Rico stands, mud sucking at the soles of her boots, Shalelu frowns and narrows her eyes as Rico slices open her lip and spits. "A bold move. Best hope that it won't link you with the smell of prey then." She mutters ruefully, thrusting out her chin as she keeps her gaze trained on the lumbering reptile, both hands raised and open, ready to catch its attention at a moment's notice.

    *****

    The giant turtle was not having a very good day.

    It was tired. It was hurting. It had swum far - oh so very far. For days and days. The shallow mud had seemed like a good spot to rest. To let the sun warm its aching body. To keep far away from two-legs and their pricking sticks.

    The two-legs had come anyway. With noise. With fire. So it'd gone after the closest one. The fat one in the air.

    But the fat one was gone now. It was still tired. Still hurting. And now, as the faint scent of blood hitting its scaly nostrils reminds it, the instinct coursing sharp as lightning tearing midnight clouds asunder - it was hungry.

    *****

    Spoiler
    Show
    Attack: (1d20+16)[33], Damage: (4d6+16)[27]


    "Tar osaer, Kaer Oli os si Volaes! Shi tael bai cas..." Shalelu's soothing patter trails off uncertainly as she watches the turtle turn and paddle determinedly towards them, weed-slimed maw already agape and trembling. Wasting no time, the elf sputters a string of shocking curses in Elven and promptly scrambles back, one hand already grasping for an arrow in her quiver as she barks frantically over her shoulder at those of you further up the bank "Setsuna! It's not working! Back us up! Rico? RICO. You need to move. Now!"

    Whether from martial stubbornness or the dregs of her nap, Rico doesn't budge from her spot even as the turtle bears inexorably down, snapping like a demon at Rico's shield and shoulders even as it tries to crush her against the river bank with a flailing swat of its heavy front claw.

    *****

    Combat begins. Rico needs to roll AoO against the GST.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Rico: (1d20+1)[2]
    Setsuna: (1d20+9)[23]
    Brin: (1d20+9)[24]
    Red: (1d20+5)[20]

    Shalelu: (1d20+3)[6]


    Initiative Order:
    > 25 - Naya
    24 - Brin
    23 - Setsuna
    20 - Red
    12 - Giant Snapping Turtle
    6 - Shalelu
    2 - Rico


    It is now Naya's turn.


    *****

    Combat Map
    Spoiler
    Show
    Avatar by the awesome Strawberries.

    MINE:
    Spoiler
    Show
    RotRL: Burnt Offerings IC - COMPLETED
    RotRL: Skinsaw Murders IC I and II - COMPLETED
    RotRL: Hook Mountain Massacre IC and OOC

    Seraphina "Red" Allin, fighter-rogue of double kukri slicey death

  6. - Top - End - #66
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    jamieth's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Hook Mountain Massacre IC

    Naya
    HP 24/24
    AC 20, FF 15, Touch 16


    So far for being kind... Naya bites her lip and starts chanting a spell, gathering of electric energy shattering her aerial prism. I really didn't want to harm you, but... you hurt my friend. Pointing towards the turtle, she throws a bolt of lightning at the giant creature...

    Spoiler
    Show
    LIghtning Bolt damage (7d6)[25], Ref DC 19 for half; aiming is trivial. Invisibility down.
    Tome of Radiance, a Magical Girl sourcebook for 3.5/PF.

    "Jamie" is fine. TH is mostly there to make sure the name would be free on any forum I'd want to register :-)

    Extended signature

  7. - Top - End - #67
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2011

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Hook Mountain Massacre IC

    "Well...soup it is, then." Brin sighs as the enormous reptile makes its hostile intent quite clear. There was nothing left to do but take Shalelu's advice and send a flight of arrows streaming towards the creatures less bone-y bits.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Full attack with Rapid Shot:

    (1d20+8)[28]
    (1d8+2)[4] + (1d6)[4] electrical

    (1d20+8)[27]
    (1d8+2)[8] + (1d6)[6] electrical

    Crit, if needed:
    (1d20+8)[23]
    (2d8+4)[13]

  8. - Top - End - #68
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2010

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Hook Mountain Massacre IC

    Setsuna
    HP 46/46
    AC 25


    As the turtle opens its maw and moves to take a bite out of Rico Setsuna looks more than a little upset but draws Maethilur in a flash, imbuing the blade with arcane energy and chanting a spell even as she runs to the half-orcess' aid. "I did not want to hurt you, but you are not leaving us any choice!"

    Shouting, her black blade now arcing with electricity, the tiefling stops herself from running into the river and converts her momentum into an upward slash. The blade might not do much on its own, but the electricity would leave its mark on the turtle for sure, especially when combined with Naya's lightning.

    Spoiler
    Show

    Swift - Arcane Pool for +1 and Keen for 1m
    Standard - Cast Shocking Grasp
    Move - to I3 (provoking I assume)
    Free (as part of Shocking Grasp) - Spellstrike the turtle

    Spellstrike (1d20+13)[15]
    Damage (1d8+8)[12] + (5d6)[21]

    It's been so long since Setsuna had a combat post, I hope I didn't forget how to magus >.>
    Lilith Avatar by AsteriskAmp

    Other Character Avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

    . . . . . .
    Setsuna by Kymme | Desril by Wolfshonor | Eruvia (no background) by Oneris

  9. - Top - End - #69
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Miraqariftsky's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Stormwracked verdant hive
    Gender
    Male2Female

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Hook Mountain Massacre IC

    Rico
    HP 29/56 (+04/+04) AC 15/22
    Enlarge Person 09/10
    Rage I/III, 01/10


    THIS is wotchuget fer givin' YOU a chance! Nah, no, no good with tossin' blame like 'at.

    "Yeah, no!" Rico grates at Shalelu even as the behemoth barrels towards them. "I'll hold it here!"

    Whoahcrapfrakagh! Huge but fast! Fook these giant beasties! Gritting her teeth as she anticipates the huge claw coming in, she stands her ground and thrusts the barbed spearhead at the giant turtle's exposed armpit.

    "GWAAHH!" comes her breath in a whoosh as the claw clouts her across her own shoulder, thankfully catching it with the edge of her shield. Still it ploughs on, almost knocking her to the ground but she rolls with the blow, or tries to, and forces her battered shoulder into a shrug, letting the massive paw slide off into the muck.

    Growling, and cursing her slowness, she sidles to her left, hoping to draw the beast's attention away from the others. One slow, sloshing stride... and then another, and another. She holds her stance, sighting down the length of the shaft, bracing arm loose yet firm, the thrusting arm coiled and ready to strike. Snorting, baring her teeth, she makes eye contact with Red over the fray and jerks her head towards the beast's backside.

    Sorry, ya damned beastie. Please die quickly.

    She takes a deep breath, waiting for the opportune moment. Once the shot presents itself, she lunges and yells, jabbing right at the poor blighter's face, hoping to put it out of everybody's misery swiftly.

    "WWAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGHHHH!!"

    Spoiler
    Show

    AoO!
    As of OOC#130
    Attack roll: 26
    Damage roll: 20

    5ft-step to K/L x 1/2. Doing tacmap coordinates this way because of recalcs from Enlarge Person.

    And let's toss in an Intimidate like from the Sawmill, eh?
    (1d20+8)[14]

    Full Attack:
    Power Attack!
    (1d20+13)[19]
    (2d6+19)[29]
    +1 weapon +6 PA +12 double-handed Rage Str with Enlarge
    Regular Second Strike!
    (1d20+11)[14]
    (2d6+13)[24]
    Last edited by Miraqariftsky; 2016-10-31 at 11:03 AM.
    Avatarcred: HELL YEAH to THE Oneris! Ma'am, thank you, ma'am.
    Previous Avatars: by Dr Bath, Strawberries, zimmerwald1915

  10. - Top - End - #70
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Denial

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Hook Mountain Massacre IC

    GM post

    The fetid stench of swamp and rotting flesh, a gleam of maddened eyes - and the giant turtle is upon Rico in a snapping, swiping flurry of slimy scales. Smashing against her shield, the turtle seizes upon Rico's shoulder with bone-cracking fury and makes a valiant attempt to saw through her curiass with its beak, only to rear back in agony as its own shoulder is impaled in turn by Rico's notch-toothed spear.

    *****

    Naya casts Lightning Bolt.

    Spoiler
    Show
    GST's Reflex vs Naya: (1d20+5)[14] - failed


    Unable to distinguish between a jolt of electricity intended to get it moving and a jolt of electricity intended to kill, the turtle shudders and flails about in agony, coming dangerously close to shocking Rico as well as it churns up a splashing frenzy of mud and river water.

    *****

    Brin and Setsuna

    Spoiler
    Show
    GST's AoO: (1d20+16)[31], Damage: (4d6+16)[26]


    Pragmatism seems to go down better than altruism with the giant turtle. Even with Naya bobbing about distractingly overhead, Brin's steady aim (over her private musings about dinner) sees her bowstring thrum twice in quick succession, lodging arrows deep in the turtle's fleshy neck.

    Setsuna, on the other hand, is not so lucky. Having shut its eyes and instinctively withdrawn its neck partway into its shell from the pain, the giant turtle is nevertheless quick to pick up the imminent threat poised by Setsuna as she makes her battle cry. Hissing aloud from its foul-smelling maw, the turtle pulls its head back into its shell even further, leaving the tiefling with naught but empty air to strike at. Yet even as Setsuna recovers from her slash, the beast suddenly lashes out with malicious speed, striking swift as the viper as it bites down hard on the tiefling's exposed torso.

    *****

    Red
    HP 55/55
    AC 23


    Spoiler
    Show
    Move to I4
    Swim check: (1d20+8)[28]
    Attack: (1d20+12)[18], Damage: (1d4+5)[9] - miss


    But Rico, that's too far to jump. My legs... they're too short...

    Ruing not for the first time that she was born of Tien stock and was the tiniest in her vertically challenged family, Red furrows her brow and hesitates, digging her heels into the ground, unsure of what to do. She hadn't practiced with her bow since leaving Sandpoint. The kukris, newly enchanted then by Taladron, had been ever so much better to use. (What on earth would Rathi have said?)

    Still, upon seeing Rico staggering and Setsuna apparently crushed between the turtle's jaws, she doesn't hesitate. Putting all shame at what her mentor would have said out of her head for now, Red takes a flying leap off the bank and dives headfirst into the river. Gasping as she surfaces from the unexpected chill of the water, she kicks herself over to the turtle's side, her kukri skittering across the wet scales and she tries ineffectually to hack into its leg without getting swatted herself.

    ****

    GST and Rico

    Spoiler
    Show
    Attack: (1d20+16)[21], Damage: (4d6+16)[35] - miss


    Setsuna's new tunic, scandalous in appearance as it might be, proves it worth in deflecting the worst of the turtle's serrated bite. To those watching, it might have seemed for a moment as if the turtle had chomped the tiefling into half, but no. For after a few heart-stopping seconds during which one might have sworn they heard the snapping of bone as the turtle saws its jaws back and forth to try for a better angle, the beast spits the tiefling back out, a thin layer of blood coating the sharper edges of its filthy mouth.

    Lunging forward once more with its mouth agape, the turtle tries to grab hold of Setsuna, only to be thrown off balance as it is promptly pummeled in the skull by Rico as she tries to stab it to no avail.

    *****

    Shalelu

    Spoiler
    Show
    Attack: (1d20+11)[14], Damage: (1d8+2)[6]
    Attack: (1d20+6)[21], Damage: (1d8+2)[6]


    The muted sigh and the head tilt of frustration is sufficient testament to Shalelu's opinion of the situation, even as her own arrows glance off the turtle's bullet head and shell, doing little more than skim algae off the chipped scales.

    "Goddess alive, Red, I told you not to do anything to get yourself eaten..."

    *****

    Initiative Order:
    > 25 - Naya
    24 - Brin
    23 - Setsuna
    20 - Red
    12 - Giant Snapping Turtle
    10 - Rico
    6 - Shalelu


    It is now Naya's turn.


    *****

    Combat Map
    Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by maggie_mcknife; 2016-11-08 at 10:39 AM.
    Avatar by the awesome Strawberries.

    MINE:
    Spoiler
    Show
    RotRL: Burnt Offerings IC - COMPLETED
    RotRL: Skinsaw Murders IC I and II - COMPLETED
    RotRL: Hook Mountain Massacre IC and OOC

    Seraphina "Red" Allin, fighter-rogue of double kukri slicey death

  11. - Top - End - #71
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    jamieth's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Hook Mountain Massacre IC

    Naya
    HP 24/24
    AC 21


    "Careful, everyone!" Naya shouts, "It's shell is too tough, leave it to those who have magic, just concentrate on not getting eaten!"

    Sayong that, she readies to continue the bombardment of the beast, aiming a couple of more concentrated blasts now, since the presense of her companions nearby makes it tricky to place the large one (and also because, in the stories, mages never win by casting the same spell over and over).

    Spoiler
    Show
    Lightning Ray: (1d20+8)[14] vs. touch, (4d6)[17] damage
    Second ray: (1d20+8)[20] vs. touch, (4d6)[17] damage

    In case either crits, (1d20+8)[15] vs. touch, (4d6)[16] damage
    Tome of Radiance, a Magical Girl sourcebook for 3.5/PF.

    "Jamie" is fine. TH is mostly there to make sure the name would be free on any forum I'd want to register :-)

    Extended signature

  12. - Top - End - #72
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Miraqariftsky's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Stormwracked verdant hive
    Gender
    Male2Female

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Hook Mountain Massacre IC

    Rico
    HP 29/56 (+04/+04) AC 15/22
    Enlarge Person 08/10
    Rage I/III, 01/10


    "Red! Hack into the leg! An' hold on! Don't drown!"

    Snorting against the pain, Rico shakes her head vigourously. Slowly but surely she continues her movement to put the beast in a pincer maneuver between her and her comrades.

    "COME ON! ISSAT ALL YA GOT?" she growls.

    Out of the corner of her eye, she spots Setsuna wading into the fray and then get chomped on by the huge beast. Having seen the tiefling triumph against worse odds, Rico doesn't worry overmuch there, but rather takes advantage by jabbing at the exposed neck or eye right at that moment.

    When the head withdraws, she backsteps again, and once more stabs through the rotting hole in its shell. Or, failing that, she goes for the leg that she'd pricked earlier.

    She's RIGHT, ya know. MUCH easier to just let the mages handle things, eh? Then again, if their spells're sapped fer when the REAL problems come in, THEN we're right damn frakked.

    Spoiler
    Show

    Ahem. Hope you don't mind my "spelling out" these damn numbers, ma'am? I confess, I get confused every so often.

    5ft-step to MN-12
    AoO!

    BAB 7 + Rage Str 7 + Enlarge 1 + Weapon 1 + Flank 2
    (1d20+18)[19]
    (2d6+13)[22]

    Toss in an Intimidate, eh?
    (1d20+8)[12]

    Full Attack:
    Power Attack!
    BAB 7 + Rage Str 7 + Enlarge 1 + Weapon 1 + Flank 2 - Power Attack 2
    (1d20+16)[27]
    (2d6+19)[24]

    NO Power Attack.
    BAB 2 + Rage Str 7 + Enlarge 1 + Weapon 1 + Flank 2
    (1d20+13)[18]
    (2d6+13)[20]
    Last edited by Miraqariftsky; 2016-11-09 at 12:12 AM.
    Avatarcred: HELL YEAH to THE Oneris! Ma'am, thank you, ma'am.
    Previous Avatars: by Dr Bath, Strawberries, zimmerwald1915

  13. - Top - End - #73
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2010

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Hook Mountain Massacre IC

    Setsuna
    HP 22/46
    AC 25


    Gasping in pain as the turtle's beak crashes into her stomach, Setsuna rears back and takes up a more defensive posture. I'm sorry, turtle, but this is the only way! Without her usual abjurations she feels oddly exposed, or perhaps that's just the new outfit, but whatever the case she quickly reaffirms her grip on Maethilur and makes another strike, continuing to channel electrical energy through the blade but this time with more precision, waiting for the right time to strike.

    Spoiler
    Show

    Attack again! (1d20+14)[29]
    Damage (1d8+8)[16] + (5d6)[21]
    Critical threat (1d20+14)[30]
    Damage (2d8+16)[19] + (5d6)[14]
    Total Damage: 35 slashing + 35 electric, 70 total (assuming hit)

    Parry if attacked (1d20+14)[26]
    Riposte if successful parry (1d20+14)[29]
    Damage (1d8+8)[11]
    Last edited by Desril; 2016-11-07 at 05:15 PM.
    Lilith Avatar by AsteriskAmp

    Other Character Avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

    . . . . . .
    Setsuna by Kymme | Desril by Wolfshonor | Eruvia (no background) by Oneris

  14. - Top - End - #74
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2011

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Hook Mountain Massacre IC

    Brin Zafira
    35/35 HP
    19 AC


    "Che...you're as stubborn as Belkzen mudwine, but I kept that down, and I'll put you down." Brin hisses, featching another pair of arrowsd to launch at the beast. It was hard to imagine the thin shifts as more than pin-pricks to the turtle, but it has eyes, and arteries, and other soft spots. She just wish she knew where more of them were...

    Spoiler
    Show
    Full attack with rapid shot:

    Shot 1:
    (1d20+8)[10]
    (1d8+2)[3] + (1d6)[2] electrical

    Shot 2:
    (1d20+8)[27]
    (1d8+2)[8] + (1d6)[4] electrical

    Crit, if needed:
    (1d20+8)[19]
    (1d8+2)[10] + (1d6)[6] electrical

  15. - Top - End - #75
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Denial

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Hook Mountain Massacre IC

    GM post

    Naya and Brin


    Even in broad daylight, Naya's spelled lightning blazes blinding white as it arcs and crackles through the air, striking the turtle on its shell, cracking plastron and searing through the beast's body in agonising pulses. As the choking stench of scorched marsh and flesh fills the air once more, another of Brin's arrows chances to find its mark in the turtle's left eye, extinguishing its crazed gleam in a spurt of clear fluid.

    *****

    Setsuna

    With several of her ribs surely cracked and what tastes suspiciously like blood pooling in her mouth, it is difficult for Setsuna to even muster a returning strike. Yet this time, with forbearance rather than haste, her attack strikes true. With the now half-blinded turtle gaping its maw in a silent scream, thrashing about wildly, all the tiefling has to do is to wait for the right moment - the reptile's neck extended just so - to slash through the exposed flesh and tendon, half-severing its head down the bone and showering herself in a deluge of steaming scarlet blood.

    Combat is over. Initiative ends.

    *****

    Even with its head mostly detached, the turtle continues to twitch and shiver, its beak slowly hinging open and shut in a cruel parody of life while its life blood pools in a dark cloud around the stump of its neck. There's meat aplenty to be harvested from its carcass, should one take the time to crack open the beast's shell, though between its gaping wound and the numerous blackened craters scored by Naya's lightning, its shell itself has been rendered quite useless.

    "Well. That was unpleasant." remarks Shalelu baldly, giving those of you closer to her a curt nod of appreciation as she surveys the stinking hulk of dead turtle before her, hands planted on her hips. "Now we just have to decide how to get all this out of the way so the barge can pass. Red, Rico. Get those spears out of its back. We've got our business to attend to, but if I should chance upon another of my kind who guards the lands, it would be good to inform them that such mischief is afoot. Leaving an injured animal to wander and weaken like this..." The elf's face twists in a brief flash of anger, her eyes glinting cold as emeralds.
    Avatar by the awesome Strawberries.

    MINE:
    Spoiler
    Show
    RotRL: Burnt Offerings IC - COMPLETED
    RotRL: Skinsaw Murders IC I and II - COMPLETED
    RotRL: Hook Mountain Massacre IC and OOC

    Seraphina "Red" Allin, fighter-rogue of double kukri slicey death

  16. - Top - End - #76
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    jamieth's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Hook Mountain Massacre IC

    "Miss Setsuna!" sylph already starts heading towards the tiefling to - somehow - help her out of the turtle's giant jaws when Setsuna's lucky hit nearly decapites the beast, "Are... you alright?"
    Landing next to Setsuna and making sure she can at least move on her own, Naya turns her attention to the turtle. Half-burned, half-skewered, Naya can't help but feel that the majestic beast looks... pityful. "I'm sorry..." she whispers, placing her hand between the turtle's eyes and removing Brin's hat as a sign of mourning, "You didn't deserve this, but we had no choice..."
    Tome of Radiance, a Magical Girl sourcebook for 3.5/PF.

    "Jamie" is fine. TH is mostly there to make sure the name would be free on any forum I'd want to register :-)

    Extended signature

  17. - Top - End - #77
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Miraqariftsky's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Stormwracked verdant hive
    Gender
    Male2Female

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Hook Mountain Massacre IC

    "waddahell... Yo Hellgirl! Are ye a gorram prophet of GORUM?! I mean, gorrammit, WELL-DONE."

    Rico's jaw drops at Setsuna's spectacular slaying stroke. She shakes her head in admiration at her comrade's prowess...

    ...and in pity of the poor beast before them. Striding over to the still spasming creature, she chokes up her grip on the longspear's shaft, puts the point right where the skull joins the neck, then slams it through the skull, obliterating its brain in one go, putting it out of its misery. She twists the spearhead in there, just to make sure. Rico nods gravely in agreement at Shalelu's words.

    Wrenching out the spear and tossing it quivering into the riverbank, she takes hold of the edge of the carapace. Heaving, stride by magickally enlarged boot-sucking stride, she hauls it ashore.

    Wading back out, she politely coughs before grasping Red and Setsuna by their torsos and getting them safely back to land. Jabbing a finger at the latter and at Naya, she says, "Hellgirl. Stormgirl. Well-done. GET CLEAN."

    Snorting at the sorceress, Rico says with a grin, "HAH! She's survived far worse than THIS little thing's taps! Don't worry! Yer alright, aintcha, Hellgirl?"

    Swirling a hand at Red, she says, "Arright Red. Do the honours o' cleanin' out any plunder thattaways?"

    Unsheathing her Minatan sabre, she sets to at crucially weakened points to saw the shell open.
    "What? ---spwehf!--- Who knows if someone was eaten? Could be somebody local, check with missing persons reports!"

    Spoiler
    Show

    As per GM orders:
    (1d20+8)[23]

    Edit:
    ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!
    NOW! NOW YOU ROLL DECENTLY HIGH? Whyyyyyyyyyy?!

    Last edited by Miraqariftsky; 2016-11-09 at 02:48 AM.
    Avatarcred: HELL YEAH to THE Oneris! Ma'am, thank you, ma'am.
    Previous Avatars: by Dr Bath, Strawberries, zimmerwald1915

  18. - Top - End - #78
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Denial

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Hook Mountain Massacre IC

    Red

    "Thank you." Glad to back on dry land and feeling rather foolish at having jumped in like that, Red whispers to her friend over the faint blush of shame spreading across her cheeks, giving Rico an appreciative pat on her extra-large knuckles. Orders to loot the turtle were good too. She would have something to do and wouldn't have to talk to Se- the others. About being a silly bugger.

    Trying ineffectually to wring some of the water out of her sodden sleeves, Red shuffles over to where the turtle's carcass lies. It looked a little smaller without its head, somehow. Still, there was work to be done. And this was what kukris were meant to do anyway. Pity about the mess she'd make, but nothing a rinse with soap in a cleaner part of the river wouldn't take care of.

    *****

    GM post

    At her current prodigious size, it is only a matter of minutes before Rico has successfully cracked open the turtle's shell around its harpoon wounds like a walnut, spilling pink muscle and tangled, steaming viscera. Plunging her hands into its cavernous belly halfway up the elbow, it takes some rooting around before she finds and hauls out the wobbling jelly of the turtle's stomach.

    The turtle's bloated stomach could easily accommodate half a dozen large cows. Slicing a ragged hole open in the lining causes a wet, sour stench to erupt into the air, the organ spilling forth a massive mulch of half-digested plant-weed and fish that quickly piles higher than Brin is tall. Some stirring of the nauseating pulpy mess, however, does yield what Rico had been looking for - a disembodied hand of some large humanoid, swaddled in leather bindings that have shielded it from being digested so quickly. Most of the hand has already been dissolved down to the bone, though at least two fingers still show the chipped blackened nails and so much matted hair growing on the sallow knuckles that one might have mistaken it for fur.

    Meanwhile, Red pauses in the midst of hacking the harpoons out of the turtle's side to hand over the scrap of crimson rag tied to one of the spears. The rag seems to have been torn from what feels like the remnants of some travelling cloak and is adorned with a single black rune, crudely stitched on with what looks a lot like dried animal gut.

    Heal DC 18
    Spoiler
    Show
    This hand has probably been marinating in the turtle's stomach for several days, at least. Difficult to tell exactly how long it's been in there for though.


    Knowledge (local) DC 15
    Spoiler
    Show
    That's definitely not a goblin hand. Judging from the size - it's big enough to grab hold on any of your heads like an orange to crush at leisure - this had to come from something big. Like a troll, ogre, or giant.


    Linguistics DC 18 / Knowledge (local) DC 20
    Spoiler
    Show
    The rune vaguely resembles Thassilonian writing and it is from this clue that you make your deduction - this rune is from the Giant language, representing the sound 'krig', which translate to 'war'.
    Last edited by maggie_mcknife; 2016-11-17 at 09:42 AM.
    Avatar by the awesome Strawberries.

    MINE:
    Spoiler
    Show
    RotRL: Burnt Offerings IC - COMPLETED
    RotRL: Skinsaw Murders IC I and II - COMPLETED
    RotRL: Hook Mountain Massacre IC and OOC

    Seraphina "Red" Allin, fighter-rogue of double kukri slicey death

  19. - Top - End - #79
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Miraqariftsky's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Stormwracked verdant hive
    Gender
    Male2Female

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Hook Mountain Massacre IC

    "Thees... ees... abso... fooken... lutely... " Rico grumbles aloud through the labour of slaughtering, her face an unwavering mask of concentration, her sensitive nostrils violently scrunched up... "By the smell an' the look, though... Definite. SEVERAL days old. Been killed an' etten several days away. Though things DO get faster over... an' IN water... so, hmm..."

    ...then pauses at the foul find. Holding up the hand against her own, her eyes boggle on its sheer size. Squatting over by Shalelu, she asks while offering it to her for further study, "Ma'am, feast yer eyes on this damn morsel, iffen ye please. Wozzisname, I ferget... This damn hand's a good bit larger'n even a bugbear's, looks like?"

    "Wait, sorry, scuse me..." she says as she measures Red's head with her fingers, then compares it to her own still sorcerously enlarged noggin. And then to the suspect hand. "...Gorum's gonads, this bugger's HUGE. Gigantic. Huh. Giant. Wossamacallit. Might probably be troll or ogre or some damned bugger like that."

    Waving the others over, she points out Red's find and asks, "Wot da fook y'all think o' that thing? Y'ask me, iffen goblin an' Tien traditions're anythin' alike, seems like a warrior's tassel fer that harpoon."

    Spoiler
    Show

    Let's see wot we got, eh? By the way, with the latter two, would Favoured Enemy: Giants apply?
    (1d20+10)[22] Heal
    (1d20+4)[18] Know: Local
    (1d20+4)[5] Know: Local <---SCHEISSE! CARAMBA! TABERNAC! SUKA!
    Last edited by Miraqariftsky; 2016-11-09 at 12:53 PM.
    Avatarcred: HELL YEAH to THE Oneris! Ma'am, thank you, ma'am.
    Previous Avatars: by Dr Bath, Strawberries, zimmerwald1915

  20. - Top - End - #80
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    jamieth's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Hook Mountain Massacre IC

    Naya turns around, unwilling to risk her breakfst at the sight of... "looting" the beast, only daring to look back after Rico's question. "This... I'm afraid doesn't look like any of the writings I'm familiar with. But... you're saying the turtle ate a giant of some kind? are they common enough around here?"
    Tome of Radiance, a Magical Girl sourcebook for 3.5/PF.

    "Jamie" is fine. TH is mostly there to make sure the name would be free on any forum I'd want to register :-)

    Extended signature

  21. - Top - End - #81
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2010

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Hook Mountain Massacre IC

    Setsuna

    As the turtle falls, lifeless, Setsuna cleans the blood off of Maethilur and resheathes the blade, only to then wince and hold move her hand to hold her bruised ribs. "I am fine, Naya, but I think I might try to avoid heavy lifting for a day or two."

    To Rico she only gives a half-hearted smile, not happy about what they had to do, and nods her head. She had indeed survived worse, but usually she didn't feel as guilty about what she had to do to survive, and as the constable and Red start working to pry into the shell and see what the turtle had devoured recently, the tian princess excuses herself. Fighting beasts and animals was one thing, but ripping them apart to see if anyone long dead was in there? No, that was too much for her. "I think I am going to go lie down."
    Lilith Avatar by AsteriskAmp

    Other Character Avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

    . . . . . .
    Setsuna by Kymme | Desril by Wolfshonor | Eruvia (no background) by Oneris

  22. - Top - End - #82
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2011

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Hook Mountain Massacre IC

    "Careful with that, careful!" Brin shouts, not wanting the bloated guts of the prodigious turtle to burst before being extracted and ruin the meat. There was quite a bit of it there, more than they could possibly finish before it goes bad. But it was worth trying to, if the creature was as delicious as its normal-sized cousins. Kind of amazing for a bottom-feeder, feasting on scum and rot and giant hands at the bottom of the river.

    Wait.

    "You mean it's been eating thinking things?" Brin mewls, her face screwing up along with her stomach. She'd heard of some people in distant parts of the world who thought it perfectly fine to consume the remains of dead relatives, either cooked fresh or well aged, but her own theological leanings, though unorthodox, weren't nearly so divergent. "Ugh. Maybe we should just leave it here to rot. Even if it's just a giant or ogre, I'd rather not be eating anything talks. Even if it's second-hand."

    Her interest in the turtle ebbing, she finally notices the extent of her friends' injuries "Come over her so The Lady can see to your bites." She says, a bit sheepish that she didn't see to them quicker. "Then I'll burn the hand in a decent ceremony. Last thing I want is a crawling hand skittering about, especially one that big."

    Spoiler: Channels!
    Show
    As needed:
    1) (4d6)[9]
    2) (4d6)[11]
    3) (4d6)[11]

  23. - Top - End - #83
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Denial

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Hook Mountain Massacre IC

    Red

    Spoiler
    Show
    Heal check: (1d20+2)[20] - pass
    Knowledge (local) 1: (1d20-1)[18] - pass
    Knowledge (local) 2: (1d20-1)[6] - fail


    Red squints at the apparent tassel before shrugging, shuffling as discreetly as she can to one side to avoid Rico from dripping whatever stomach juice that was currently spooling off the half-digested hand onto her. Even if she was already soaked in muddy river water and turtle blood, the thought of getting something that had actually come from a deadder onto her clothing sent her own guts churning.

    "It is... from a giant. Maybe. Miss Brin, you should b-burn it." Crouching on her haunches, she picks up one of the harpoons and hefts its unwieldy mass in her palms for balance. Heavy, that was for sure. Its roughly hewn shaft was far longer than she was tall, its three-pronged tip coated with a thick patina of rust. Anyone strong enough to use this harpoon to hunt the turtle could probably also crush her throat easily - like how that demon-wolf thing under Thistletop had done, not so long ago...

    Red gently sets the harpoon down, raising a trembling hand to where the unbroken skin of her neck tingles, her dark eyes drawn and troubled.

    *****

    GM post

    "Fortunately for us, giants don't live down here in the Mushfens. Though we are heading into giant territory - Turtleback Ferry's just south of the Iron Peaks. Plenty of bigfolk up there. Hill giants. Stone giants. Ogres. They're the whole reason why Fort Rannick even exists - the Black Arrows protect the village from the meaner varieties of bigfolk, the Ferry gives Magnimar tribute and taxes in return." Shalelu replies to Naya as she stoops to examine the hand, unfazed by its advanced state of dissolution as she peers closely at the putrefying skin and prods the exposed bone with her gloved finger. "If the Black Arrows have really gone silent, then perhaps the bigfolk have come out to play... in the worst possible way. It's not out of the question - this turtle's a big beast. It could have easily escaped a hunting party's spears and fled all the way here. And I can't say I like the possibility of that."

    Shalelu's expression is grim as she sucks in her cheeks and frowns, sighing aloud in frustration. "Blast it. Hand's too far decayed for me to tell what it's from. And I'm afraid can't read that rune either. Pity that Taladron's not here, hm? But yes, Rico, I think you're right. It's probably some sort of trophy or tribal marking."

    For those of you who aren't busy examining the cadaverous remnants, you are alerted to the imminent arrival of the barge by the distant shouts as Captain Amin bustles about on deck, bullying his crew into getting things moving upriver once more as quickly as he can. Your adrenaline may still be coursing from the fight, but all the surly barge captain cares about is getting his cargo getting to where it is bound - time is money, after all.

    *****

    The following items are available for looting, should you so choose to take them with you:
    • 5 large harpoons
    • 2 broken large harpoons
    • 1 red rag with a black rune stitched on it
    • 1 disembodied hand from a giant-sized creature
    • 1 hacked open turtle carcase - the meat is still viable to harvest
    Avatar by the awesome Strawberries.

    MINE:
    Spoiler
    Show
    RotRL: Burnt Offerings IC - COMPLETED
    RotRL: Skinsaw Murders IC I and II - COMPLETED
    RotRL: Hook Mountain Massacre IC and OOC

    Seraphina "Red" Allin, fighter-rogue of double kukri slicey death

  24. - Top - End - #84
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    jamieth's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Hook Mountain Massacre IC

    Naya

    Still depressed about the whole ordeal with the turtle, Naya, looking down, approaches Brin and returns the elf her hat of disguise. "Here, miss Brin, and thank you for lending it to me... I'm sorry it didn't work out in the end." Then, too distressed to think about asking where did the dress she left with Brin ended up when the cleric joined the fight, she floats towards the barge and heads straight into the cabin. There's not much she can help with right now anyway... "I'm sorry it ended that way, miss Setsuna..." she almost whispers, catching up with the tiefling, "if not for that shirt, you could have..." she stops herself, not willing to actually say it.
    Tome of Radiance, a Magical Girl sourcebook for 3.5/PF.

    "Jamie" is fine. TH is mostly there to make sure the name would be free on any forum I'd want to register :-)

    Extended signature

  25. - Top - End - #85
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2010

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Hook Mountain Massacre IC

    Setsuna

    Having not wanted to watch...or smell...the turtle be dismembered, Setsuna quickly made her way back to their vessel and into her cabin. She can't help but look at the still naked sylph when she comes in though her eyes are eventually drawn back to the floor when she thinks about the turtle.

    When Naya mentions the shirt taken from Xanesha saving her though, she shakes her head, "No, it made no difference. I should have avoided that blow. I was...overconfident because it was just a large beast. These enchantments only help me to avoid harm, they do nothing to soften blows...I am just glad Brin is such a capable healer."
    Lilith Avatar by AsteriskAmp

    Other Character Avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

    . . . . . .
    Setsuna by Kymme | Desril by Wolfshonor | Eruvia (no background) by Oneris

  26. - Top - End - #86
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    jamieth's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Hook Mountain Massacre IC

    Naya

    "Oh yes, indeed... too bad that even though magic can erase wounds, they still hurt almost as much..." Naya sighs, "You have to rest. Honestly, I think so does miss Rico, but I don't want to be the one to suggest it to her", she manages a weak smile. Then, Setsuna's words catch her, "Avoid harm? But in that case, you could just remake it into something like this", the sylph touches a thin line of silver around her waist - or, rather, transfer its power into the one you're already wearing? That way, you won't have to wear that shirt - I thought you didn't like it?" by this moment, a thought occured to Naya that made her smile a little more cheerful, whenever you want to distract Setsuna, be it from depression, or from pain, talking about magical fashion usually does the trick.
    Tome of Radiance, a Magical Girl sourcebook for 3.5/PF.

    "Jamie" is fine. TH is mostly there to make sure the name would be free on any forum I'd want to register :-)

    Extended signature

  27. - Top - End - #87
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Miraqariftsky's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Stormwracked verdant hive
    Gender
    Male2Female

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Hook Mountain Massacre IC

    The orcblood constable's nostrils flare at Shalelu's insight. "I say we assume the worse've it an' things're frakked as usual. Gorum's gonads, gah... We been gettin' whomped on by huge buggers all this damn while, now we're gettin' legit-as-all-hell giants... HMPH!"

    IF we be facin' off against friggn giants... can I friggin FLING Red or Hellgirl into their mouths an' they could carve 'em out from the inside? she stretches as Brin's god-juice soothes her aches... "Mh. Thanks fer that as always, ma'am."

    ...and then drops the giant hand into the priestess' palm.

    Hwut dah buggerin' hell is with y'all's sudden mopingness? Rico wonders as she plucks the bundle of five intact huge harpoons from Red's tottering pile of plunder.

    Gorrammit, you nekkid-arse mages. she grumbles silently as she plods over to the barge's stern. Yer lucky yer so damned efficient at blowin' things ta bits. Ye make the case fer Guilty: Public Indecency an' Guilty: Grave Scandal an' Guilty: Disturbing the Peace so damn easy.

    "AHOY, y'all! Shipmaster, by yer leave, I'll be givin' us a little push. BRACE YERSELVES." she says as she sets her shield against the barge's rear end, the bundle of huge harpoons in the crook of her arm and either poking the riverbed for any possible obstructions or gently steering the barge if it happens to drift off-course.

    This she does until the potion wears off...
    ...and when it does, she leaps aboard before her armour drowns her in the river. There she squats on the nearest coil of rope, panting heavily.
    Last edited by Miraqariftsky; 2016-11-21 at 11:39 AM.
    Avatarcred: HELL YEAH to THE Oneris! Ma'am, thank you, ma'am.
    Previous Avatars: by Dr Bath, Strawberries, zimmerwald1915

  28. - Top - End - #88
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2010

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Hook Mountain Massacre IC

    Setsuna

    It takes the tiefling a moment to realize what Naya was talking about before a blush comes to her cheeks and she quickly shakes her head. "I could, but I did not think of it at the time, and it is difficult to perform such work while traveling...and even then, I would not want to create any trouble for any one."

    When Rico begins to push the ship in her enlarged state, a fact that Setsuna can't miss given the half-orcess' shouting, she can't help but smile and shake her head. Just like her, trying to push the boat rather than leave it to the pack mules.
    Lilith Avatar by AsteriskAmp

    Other Character Avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

    . . . . . .
    Setsuna by Kymme | Desril by Wolfshonor | Eruvia (no background) by Oneris

  29. - Top - End - #89
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    jamieth's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Hook Mountain Massacre IC

    Naya

    "Yes, working such magic on the road is somewhat inconvenient, I guess... I suppose we could do it next time we get some free time, after this problem is sorted out?" Naya suggests, both leaving out the part in Setsuna's words about 'creating trouble for anyone' and implying, without really meaning to, that "sorting this problem out" won't be the end of their adventures together. "That's... miss Rico, isn't it?" she adds, hearing the ranger's efforts, "She needs rest as well, I think, after that meeting with the turtle's jaws, but... somehow I don't want to be the one to tell that to her..."

    Spoiler
    Show
    I suppose nothing else I want to add to this scene; we can move forward as soon as others are fine with it, I guess
    Tome of Radiance, a Magical Girl sourcebook for 3.5/PF.

    "Jamie" is fine. TH is mostly there to make sure the name would be free on any forum I'd want to register :-)

    Extended signature

  30. - Top - End - #90
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Miraqariftsky's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Stormwracked verdant hive
    Gender
    Male2Female

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Hook Mountain Massacre IC

    Suddenly weary and bone-tired
    In thick river mud and gore enmired
    Like a shambling mound or bog revenant
    Down the deck, for her comrades a-want

    The giants' spears cradled carefully
    Lest bystanders struck a blow unneighbourly
    Or grip be lost and graceless fall into the water
    Mucked-up gauntlet claps Red upon her shoulder

    Rico snorts wetly, jabs a finger towards their sorceress
    Yearning for some quick arcane cleaning, their bodies to bless
    Last edited by Miraqariftsky; 2016-11-23 at 10:28 AM.
    Avatarcred: HELL YEAH to THE Oneris! Ma'am, thank you, ma'am.
    Previous Avatars: by Dr Bath, Strawberries, zimmerwald1915

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •