Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 150 of 657
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2010

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Hook Mountain Massacre IC

    Setsuna

    Even the tiefling catches the dark look that the forester gives Emon and silently waits for his answer with baited breath before sighing in relief at the negative. "We will figure out what is going on. I did not think things would be this bad...As soon as we see what is on at Fort Rannick, if the rangers are not there, we will go find them. If we can not, then I will deal with these 'Grauls' myself."
    Lilith Avatar by AsteriskAmp

    Other Character Avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

    . . . . . .
    Setsuna by Kymme | Desril by Wolfshonor | Eruvia (no background) by Oneris

  2. - Top - End - #122
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    jamieth's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Hook Mountain Massacre IC

    Naya

    "Not 'yourself', miss Setsuna", Naya shakes her head, "I haven't meet those... Grauls, but from what I heard... they deserve a lightning way more than that turtle did."
    Tome of Radiance, a Magical Girl sourcebook for 3.5/PF.

    "Jamie" is fine. TH is mostly there to make sure the name would be free on any forum I'd want to register :-)

    Extended signature

  3. - Top - End - #123
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2011

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Hook Mountain Massacre IC

    Brin chuckles at the old man's cantankerous language. Finally, someone who thought and spoke straight in this prudish backwater. No sidelong glances or back-turned tongue clucks from this man.

    "Aye, Setsuner, don't be thinking with your arse."
    Bring echos, grinning. "We'll all bring the thunder down on them ogres, hopefully wit the ranger in tow. Once we figur out wuts happinen up at that there fort."

    "Until then, mebbe keep the hunters an' trappers in town fer a couple days, eh? They might risk attackin' someone out on their lonesome, but I bet them Grauls don't have the balls ter assault the town proper-like."

  4. - Top - End - #124
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Denial

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Hook Mountain Massacre IC

    GM post / Rico (GM bot)

    Spoiler
    Show
    Rolling for Rico, favoured terrain bonus applies
    Perception: (1d20+15)[26]
    SM: (1d20+9)[18]


    As for Rico, she snorts and scrubs her nose with the back of her knuckles, making a feral noise in the back of her throat. MISCREANTS. RAPISTS. BRIGANDS. MUTILATORS. Her inner constable screams a strident litany of the Grauls' crimes. Oughta clap the load of 'em in irons. Or give'm the old country justice - LIFE FER A LIFE. Still, we ain't in Sandpoint now, make n'mistake...

    Ruffling the pages of her trusty notebook, Rico clears her throat and jabs the back of her pencil towards the old forester man. "Iffen please... do enlighten. 'Speffy if we gunna be tromping down these black-heart'd blackguards. Wot exactly be these GRAULS? And think ye mentioned 'nother buncha rats - these... KREEGS?" Then, noting the gleam of precious metal at the clasp of the old forester's cloak, Rico puts two and two together before politely (if belatedly) adding: "Yer honour."

    The old forester - or Mayor-Father Maelin Shreed, as it seems - grunts aloud and eyes the half-orc constable up and down with a piercing gimlet gaze, as if uncertain of whether to trust her. Eventually, he sighs heavily, working at an invisible chunk of gristle in his teeth as he speaks. "The Grauls? They're a buncha what you'd call ogre-kin - half ogre, half whatever they could grab long enough to rut with. S'more than one family of the buggers squirreled up in the forest, but the Grauls - their mammy's got the magic touch, see. So they've plunked down just a couple miles from our lands. Usual, they don't bother us, we don't bother them. But cross their path or cross them and they squall and tear at you worse'n two tied firepelts set aflame. Now it's them Kreegs-"

    At the mention, Eilnda mutters something darkly under her breath, while the woman Bethi taps her forehead with her heads crooked in the sign of the holy horns once more. Father Shreed ignores the women's superstition and ploughs ahead. "Them Kreegs, they're the real deal. Full-blooded man-eating ogres from up in the mountains. The rangers used to keep 'em at bay. Used to. But without word from Rannick, my patrols say the bloody things've been roamin' closer and closer to town. I've no doubt that something's happened to the rangers. And all our missing folk. And it's gotta do with those bastards, likely riling up the Grauls as well. I don't know about the Grauls missing their goolies, Miss Priest - but you can be sure that with Kreegs egging them on, them Grauls be swaggin' bowlegged around s'if they'd sprouted ten more down there."

    Father Shreed makes a spitting motion to his side, while Eilnda pretends she hasn't heard, looking solemnly up at the rest of you. "Kreegs or Grauls - frankly, I don't care. If you can stop those monsters - all of them - we'd be much grateful. You've only to ask - any of us can show you the way in the forest."

    For Brin
    Spoiler
    Show
    As far as you can tell, Emon's not over his injuries. If he was left out exposed to the elements for a few days, he's likely to take some time to fully recover, even if you heal his physical wounds.
    Last edited by maggie_mcknife; 2016-12-19 at 11:34 AM.
    Avatar by the awesome Strawberries.

    MINE:
    Spoiler
    Show
    RotRL: Burnt Offerings IC - COMPLETED
    RotRL: Skinsaw Murders IC I and II - COMPLETED
    RotRL: Hook Mountain Massacre IC and OOC

    Seraphina "Red" Allin, fighter-rogue of double kukri slicey death

  5. - Top - End - #125
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2010

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Hook Mountain Massacre IC

    Setsuna

    It wasn't good news, but it was a goal. Something concrete she could do to help people, a direct, obvious objective that the tiefling had been lacking since Xanesha's death. There were plenty of people to help in Magnimar, of course, and she'd done what she could on the barge, but it wasn't the same as knowing there was a monster causing problems. There was still the mission to figure out what was going on with the Fort, but the possibility of Xanesha's sister causing issues was still a matter that required investigation and planning and figuring out what to do, which is much different than news of ogre attacks which just needed action.

    So Setsuna looks fully resolved already when she nods her head, "We will stop them. We need to go to Fort Rannick first, and figure out what is happening, but we will deal with these ogres while we are there. I do not want to put any guide at risk though, could you draw us a map instead?"
    Lilith Avatar by AsteriskAmp

    Other Character Avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

    . . . . . .
    Setsuna by Kymme | Desril by Wolfshonor | Eruvia (no background) by Oneris

  6. - Top - End - #126
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Miraqariftsky's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Stormwracked verdant hive
    Gender
    Male2Female

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Hook Mountain Massacre IC

    "Damn right." Rico says
    "A map would be 'ppreciated, aye."

    Forwards the note-taking
    Forwards the sudden grumbling
    Unbidden hunger makes its presence felt
    Avatarcred: HELL YEAH to THE Oneris! Ma'am, thank you, ma'am.
    Previous Avatars: by Dr Bath, Strawberries, zimmerwald1915

  7. - Top - End - #127
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2011

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Hook Mountain Massacre IC

    Brins looks back down at the injured man and frowns. All the talking was distracting, and poor Emon was still pretty well battered, even if he was was out of mortal danger. She sees to healing him further--knit the wounds completely so that the man's body could focus on whatever festers had taken hold before he reached proper care.

    Then she nods in agreement with Setsuna. "Thash right, a map would be agreeable. Proverbially one showin' how to avoid the Grawls, on account of me not wanting to witnessh some ogrekin shwinging around a bloated bag o' bollucks atwixt hish knees..."

    Spoiler
    Show
    More heals: (4d6)[10]

  8. - Top - End - #128
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Denial

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Hook Mountain Massacre IC

    GM post

    Father Shreed squints suspiciously down at Emon as Brin bends over the stricken man once more, still scowling away as she expends a little more of her goddess's blessing for the day. Nevertheless, at the sight of the man's cheeks growing ruddier as the pallor of his several days of exposure to winter rains fades, he gives a grunt of grudging appreciation and directs his nod towards Brin. "Aye. If you won't take a guide, then I'll draw the map meself-"

    "There's nobody who knows the Kreegwood better!" Eilnda breaks in, looking meaningfully up at all of you, her voice brimming with local pride. "Father was raised in these parts, man and boy. He's trained all our local lads to hunt and set a trap. Why, he's more of a ranger than that lot up at the Fort-"

    The old forester's scowl deepens as he holds up his bony palm before his acolyte. "As was sayin'. I'll draw the map. Most folks here know our signs and the paths, so we ain't got no maps lying 'round. But it been a long day that drained me and you lot saved Emon here. Come by 'gain 'fore noon-meal on the morrow. Best to spare all you ladies the sight of the Graul boys too, if it's diseased goolies you're lookin' to avoid. Now, which one of you's the emissary Eilnda spoke of?"

    Shalelu steps forward, offering a short bow from the waist. "That would be me. If you could spare a moment, sir, I would speak a little of how our journey from Magnimar went and hear a little more of your more recent troubles. I'm afraid that the Lord Mayor may have sought to soften the impact of your troubles when he appointed us to help..."

    *****

    It is now 1900hrs.

    Leaving Shalelu to appraise Father Shreed of recent events, the rest of you depart the Erastili lodge - or is that the town hall? - and splash through the mud towards the building with the glowing lanterns that you'd seen earlier. For if Shalelu isn't hungry for something more than the bland stews and sour beers that had been the staple on Captain Amin's boat, the rest of you are, and the local watering hole would be just the place to go.

    Even on a wet and windy night such as this one, the tavern seems packed to the rafters, its glass windows fogged with steam. As you approach the stone building that you'd espied earlier, you can already hear the muted buzz of several dozen voices in animated conversation, punctuated by the occasional roar of laughter and the clink and thump of cutlery. It's certainly a cheering prospect in this otherwise dour village that you've encountered so far.

    Stepping by the large weathered carving of what looks like the rear end of duck - feathers and webbed feet and all - with the words "BOTTOMS UP" cheekily branded into its rump, you take a deep breath and push open the door. A bell chimes merrily above your head and you are immediately greeted with a gust of hot, moist air, greasy with the crackle of roasting pork. Though the conversation barely dips at the sound of the bell, it is clear that many of the patrons are eyeing your group with undisguised curiosity, making little effort to hide their interest at the newcomers.

    After all, as a quick glance around suffices to reveal, the other patrons are largely dressed in the drab browns and greens of hunters and trappers, with a few thick-shouldered farmers still in their stained labouring clothes. While a handful of them have brought their bows and almost every man and woman sports a hunting dagger at the hip, Rico's massive greatsword and Setsuna's katana plainly mark your group as trained warriors. Moreover, as a second, closer glance confirms, there are no other elves or half-orcs in the room, let alone a tiefling or a sylph - which makes your group stick out like a coin in a coal scuttle. Turtleback Ferry's population, if the dinner crowd is of any indication, is nowhere as diverse as Magnimar's, or even Sandpoint's. It seems to consist mostly of humans, a sprinkling of wild-haired gnomes, and - surprisingly enough - halflings.

    In fact, there is a broadly grinning one hustling in your direction right now - a towheaded, snub-nosed fellow with a server's tray tucked under one arm like a discus - going as fast as he can wend his way under elbows and around pushed-back chairs. Panting slightly as he elbows someone's buttock out of the way, he draws up short in front of Naya and bobs his head, beaming from ear to ear.

    "Fresh blood and new faces, hey? The name's Yads and you're most welcome to me and Thany's little cosy corner. It's full house tonight - but it's pissing buckets out there and me and Thany have never turned no-one away if we could help it. If you don't mind standing, we could find you lot a spot at the bar. And if you want something hot, there's boar on the spit or trout cakes. Or all the lovely warm cider you can drink while my bigg'uns at the bar tells you all the latest jaw 'bout town. What d'you say?"

    *****

    For Noman only
    Spoiler
    Show
    Your arse hasn't been this sore in years, damn that bony old nag of a horse that you'd spurred all the way to Illsurian. You're quite sure that the ferryman who'd sailed you up the river, upon sniffing out your urgency to get to Turtleback Ferry, had charged you more than the usual fare too. So had that greedy fart of an innkeeper next door. Might his smallclothes drawer be filled with dire fleas to plague his nethers with the itch for a thousand years.

    But you were here. The Lady of Graves has always been true in her visions to you - though she's certainly never made you dash about so much before. And so you'd waited at the bar, sipping from the chipped clay mug in your hand, one eye on the door, half-expectant, half-grumpy at all the damned legwork you'd had to do.

    When the bell above the door rings this time, you feel it in your body. A faint prickling of hair at the neck. A tingle down your spine and the jump of a muscle in your jaw. Aha- these ones. These are the ones she'd sent you to seek.

    Now maybe the bloody dreams would stop.
    Last edited by maggie_mcknife; 2016-12-22 at 01:17 AM.
    Avatar by the awesome Strawberries.

    MINE:
    Spoiler
    Show
    RotRL: Burnt Offerings IC - COMPLETED
    RotRL: Skinsaw Murders IC I and II - COMPLETED
    RotRL: Hook Mountain Massacre IC and OOC

    Seraphina "Red" Allin, fighter-rogue of double kukri slicey death

  9. - Top - End - #129
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Athens, Greece
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Hook Mountain Massacre IC

    Noman

    Noman, cheep wine in hand and mud on his clothes, keeps trying to rub his aching back, with very minimal success. He grumbles almost inaudibly and seems to be having an one-sided conversation with someone in the sky, even shaking his head. All this has given a somewhat wide berth in the inn, friendly though the locals are.

    " grumple...grumple... From my cold pavement to Sandpoint and from there back to Magnimar and then here. If you wanted them so much, you should have found them yourself, my Lady of the Graves. And could I have some nice dreams for once? Just once would be nice... grumple...grumple"

    But then the door opens and suddenly the man known as Noman almost freezes, making his already weary neighbors even more weary. For a few seconds, he just looks the party coming in, his eyes darting about. And then he approached them, strangely fast for one slightly limping. As he approaches, he goes from Yuki, to Rico, to Brin, to Naya, to Red, as if he is trying to memorize their faces.

    "You! You! Fire in the blood, the Weave on your blade!The Naked Sword!
    And you! Strong in the arm, strong in the heart! The Lawmaker!
    And you! Drunk, and bloody and the Spire trembles with your steps. The Apostate Beloved!
    Here! The Weave in the soul and the storm in your hands!The Daughter of the Wind!
    And you! Wait, I know you! The sister of that crazy, deadly cat burglar from Magnimar! You are the Dextrous Steel!"


    He stands a bit, closes his open mouth, drinks from the pitcher of wine and looks again. He steps even closer, not threatening, but as if trying to make sure. And he then looks at the sky as if continuing a conversation.

    "Happy now?"

    Noman shakes his head.

    "What in the name of the Spire are you doing here? I rode all over Varisia trying to find you. And my saddle was not even broken in yet.

    But I am here. At last. I don't know why, but I was sent here. My name is Noman. No other name. I came to find you and help you."


    Gulps some more wine.

    "Damn if I know with what."

  10. - Top - End - #130
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2011

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Hook Mountain Massacre IC

    Brin sidles up to the bar, relieved to find something to lean on. It was getting rather difficult to stand without weaving about like a drunk. Surely on account of spending too long sitting on that barge and atrophying, and channeling the Lady's gifts always did take something out of her, too. Weakened the haunches. Yes, that explained it.

    "Oh...boar!" She explains as the publican explains what's available. "A platter pleashe, and yur biggesht mug o' cider to warsh it down." The jug had done its work well, but it had gotten a touch monotonous. Besides, it was rude to bring your own liquor to a tavern. Everyone knew that.

    While waiting for her order, the weirdo steps up and starts yammering some kind of poetry about searching and...destiny, maybe. It was hard to parse after a long day of travel and healing. Certainly not on account of inebriation. But she got the gist of what the man said, and slits her eyes in suspicion.

    "Yer been followin' us, then?" Her right hand rests not-so-subtly on the stave of her bow. "Alwaysh got to be looking out from smooth-talkers, I shay. And a hint, yer not getting anyone in a bed by showin' the fruit of yer stalkin', eh. Ish right creepy, knowin' sho much 'bout a body when I ain't never heard nor seen no man like yer."
    Last edited by Bhaakon; 2016-12-21 at 05:49 PM.

  11. - Top - End - #131
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2010

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Hook Mountain Massacre IC

    Setsuna

    There wasn't much left to be said to the mayor, and the tiefling is happy to trust Shalelu with working out the details and filling them in later on everything that the Lord-Mayor neglected to mention, and so Setsuna smiles as they head back out into the rain in search of warmth and shelter. A smile that turns into a chuckle at the tavern's entrance, the word play on the duck's rump amusing her.

    The wind and rain and chill did little to bother the Tian tiefling, but the warmth and merriment of a happy tavern was always a comforting thing to enter. "There are more people here than I expected," she says quietly to the others, having figured that the rain would've kept most people in their homes tonight. Still, she was hardly upset. She was always happy to socialize, a fact that only became more true as she embraced her relatively newfound love of strong liquor. Though seating did seem to be a problem, which the newcomer halfling, Yads, confirmed. But before she could respond to him, they were approached by another stranger, this one eager to meet them, almost as if he'd been waiting.

    Figuring that out could wait though. It had been a long journey and the rain may not've bothered her that didn't mean that there weren't more comfortable situations to be in, and so the foreign princess handles the second newcomer as diplomatically as she can, smiling and introducing herself in response, "Hello, Noman. I am Setsuna, but you will have to excuse me for a moment," she says before glancing toward her companions, "I will get our drinks."

    Then, smiling down at the halfling, "Thank you for having us. We will try not to make too much trouble," she says with a curious shift of her gaze toward Noman, not knowing what to make of the man, "And standing at the bar will be fine."

    Leaving the odd situation to the others, Setsuna swiftly makes her way to the bar, letting Yads guide her to a spot if necessary, listening for anything unusual her comrades might be interested in, assuming they don't all follow along. Learning about the town and making friends would have to wait a few moments though. First thing's first; Ordering the strongest alcohol they have for the tiefling, and whatever her companions were interested in. It wasn't as if gold was a concern at this point, not for the little things in life, and Setsuna was happy to cover everyone.
    Last edited by Desril; 2016-12-21 at 05:51 PM.
    Lilith Avatar by AsteriskAmp

    Other Character Avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

    . . . . . .
    Setsuna by Kymme | Desril by Wolfshonor | Eruvia (no background) by Oneris

  12. - Top - End - #132
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    jamieth's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Hook Mountain Massacre IC

    Naya

    Naya steps into the tavern with uneasy feeling. She, honestly, has no business to do here; maybe only if to keep an eye on Brin... but then, the elf somehow manages to avoid scandals even when drunk. Legendary elven grace, must be.

    Anyway, placing an order for a piece of a boar, the sylph heads to the bar when a unfamiliar voice calls out for them

    Daughter of the Wind... she ponders that name for a moment, deciding she actually rather likes it; still, it doesn't make the situation any less... strange. "Hello, Mr. Noman - but, I'm sorry, but you seem to know us rather well, but I don't think we - I, at least, don't know you, that's for sure... not that we don't need help, if we're going to head against those ogres, but - perhaps you could explain a bit?'
    Tome of Radiance, a Magical Girl sourcebook for 3.5/PF.

    "Jamie" is fine. TH is mostly there to make sure the name would be free on any forum I'd want to register :-)

    Extended signature

  13. - Top - End - #133
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Denial

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Hook Mountain Massacre IC

    GM post

    "A whole platter! Milady knows her game meats well. A platter it shall be, milady. I'll tell the servers to pile that boar on as high as it'll go." Bowing towards Brin, Yads beckons the rest of you to follow him, clearing the way back to the bar with more weaving, elbowing and at one point, the use of his tray to mischievously smack the prominent rear-end of a grey bearded farmer. It's bold behaviour from one who claims proprietorship of the tavern, but nobody seems to mind to give the halfling anything more than a good-natured swearing, which Yads gamely returns with the cheekiest of winks.

    You find yourselves quite literally squeezed in at the far end of the bar by the wall, hemmed in by a group of trappers who nod respectfully and shift their stools about to give you a bit more room to stand. Brin's platter and any other food you order, as Yads cheerfully informs you, shouting to make himself heard over the din before he trots off to greet another patron, is going to take a while. But the cider is served almost instantly - a Varisian-looking barkeep with her hair done up in intricate micro braids under a tasseled headscarf of gold and scarlet pushes brimming clay tankards filled with dark amber towards you, the heady aroma of rich cinnamon and honey already palpable from across the counter.

    It's excellent cider - as those of you who manage a sip affirm to yourselves before that scruffy man pops up out of nowhere. Though it doesn't seem that you're going to get to drink in peace until you figure out what he wants...

    *****

    Setsuna

    At the other end of the bar, you find Yads's partner - Thany, holding court behind the counter with an imposing array of bottles and casks behind her, a pencil balanced precariously on pointed ears bristling with heavy sliver rings that tinkle softly as the halfling tilts her head at you, squinting doubtfully up and down with her beady eyes.

    "Our strongest, ye say? We do have a bottle or two... of the special stuff. Traded for it years ago. But 50 gold pieces for a bottle ain't cheap, lil' missy. And it is awful strong. Ye sure ye woman 'nough to handle that?"

    *****

    Red

    Des-trous? Isn't that a word for a big horse? Sister? Red stiffens at the mention of Chanda, instinctively thinking of the neatly-folded kapenia she'd stowed in her pack, back at the inn. Chanda had found her, given it to her, three nights before she'd left Magnimar. One of their mother's, she'd said. Apparently Chanda had swiped the more precious of their mother's things when she'd passed, before their father could have sold the lot for coppers. Not that Red could even remember what their mother had looked like anymore.

    If yer grown enough to be farting about like a fighter and breaking yer big sister's nose, yer grown enough to own this now. Take it. She would've wanted yer to haves it, anyways.

    Red still hadn't decided how she felt about that. Chanda being nicer now that she'd been beat up. Rico had seemed preoccupied recently. Talking to Setsuna was out of the question these days. Perhaps it was time to learn to think about things on her own. But there was still the question of who this man was...

    "H-he is... a disciple. Of a... gutter priest." Suddenly remembering that humid summer night years ago, when Chanda was still teaching her the trade and had started trading insults with an old man living in a wooden box by the main plaza, Red blushes a darker shade than her hair. Those had been some very salty insults, all right. And this one... he'd been there too, in the alley behind the box, hadn't he? When Chanda had started laughing and offered to buy them all a drink...
    Last edited by maggie_mcknife; 2016-12-22 at 06:39 AM.
    Avatar by the awesome Strawberries.

    MINE:
    Spoiler
    Show
    RotRL: Burnt Offerings IC - COMPLETED
    RotRL: Skinsaw Murders IC I and II - COMPLETED
    RotRL: Hook Mountain Massacre IC and OOC

    Seraphina "Red" Allin, fighter-rogue of double kukri slicey death

  14. - Top - End - #134
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2010

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Hook Mountain Massacre IC

    Setsuna

    Pouting at the implication that she's not up to the challenging, Setsuna puffs out her cheeks and nods. "I am sure I can handle it, but if it is special then everyone should get something," she says, reaching into her pouch to dig out fifty-five gold coins. "For the 'special stuff' and a round of cider for everyone," the tiefling isn't exactly quiet about it, but she doesn't raise her voice to make a scene, genuinely just trying to do something nice for the crowd rather than buy their favor.

    Spoiler
    Show

    50gp for the strongest they've got, and 5gp covers the 4gp cost to get cider for everyone including the cooks and bartenders with an extra 1gp tip
    Last edited by Desril; 2016-12-22 at 08:35 AM.
    Lilith Avatar by AsteriskAmp

    Other Character Avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

    . . . . . .
    Setsuna by Kymme | Desril by Wolfshonor | Eruvia (no background) by Oneris

  15. - Top - End - #135
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Athens, Greece
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Hook Mountain Massacre IC

    Noman

    At the very mention of sweet-talker, Noman looks as surprised as if someone called him a three headed butterfly.

    "Well, I never... I haven't been so surprisingly insulted for years! Now, these folks have the right of it: Suspicion, guarded cordiality, remembrance of my time with the gutter priest -which is a refreshingly insulting way to speak about the greatest theologian of this era- this is how it should be!"

    Then, the mention of the free drinks hits the room and Noman smiles, revealing an ugly, toothy smile

    "That's more how I like it! Innkeeper! One round on everyone's table of your cheapest wine! But swiftly, before the other woman's order, because I want them to appreciate before tasting the good stuff."

    Noman throws some gold coins to the nearest table and then lowers his voice.

    "Humans and demihumans alike are stupid. They will drink everything.

    As for your questions: You all have the right of it. I am Noman, a dog and all around unlikeable person. I tend to say the truth, you see, and enlighten the unwashed, oblivious masses. But first and foremost, I have been pledged to the Lady of the Spires herself that I will do what others cannot or will not do. Demihumanity is stupid, but is all we have.

    The thing is, the Lady knows and the Lady sees all. And for the last few months, your images, your auras have been intruding upon my dreams night and night again. The Lady can be as subtle as sledgehammer sometimes. So I have been trying to find you. She wants me here, though now that I see you up close I am not sure why. You seem rather capable to me.

    Nevertheless, here I am. It is my pledge, my askesis, and the only thing a dog of a person like me is worthy of doing."


    When the drink arrives, he takes a long hungry pull out of his wine.

    "I have forgotten how thirsty work is to talk so much. Now, I can stalk, I can follow, I can see when people are lying -which is all the time- and, more importantly, I can shoot arrows. Lots of them. And since the Lady wants me here, here I will stay"

    Another drink. And then he says with a satisfied smile.

    "This stuff is truly mediocre. "

  16. - Top - End - #136
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Miraqariftsky's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Stormwracked verdant hive
    Gender
    Male2Female

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Hook Mountain Massacre IC

    She'd bowed her appreciation
    But for further coordination
    Tomorrow still remains
    Delays... such pains.

    On entering the tavern
    Supper's scents do burn
    Up Rico's nostrils flaring
    Nods at Yads in brief greeting.

    "HRRRmmm. Smallbeer. An' lotsa milk.
    Bit o' boar. Woteva veggibles an' bready stuff. Iffen ye please."


    She glares at the madman in some concern
    Should his gaoler-to-be soon yearn
    For the mental ward or just
    The drunk tank, must?

    On hearing Noman further
    Her ears stand straighter
    Nostrils flare a breath rocked
    Amber eyes stare wide, shocked

    She glares but for now, observes
    Holds her tongue for now, energy conserves
    Grabs at Setsuna before she goes
    Gives her a grimace that into a small smile grows.

    "Hellgirl. Wotchadoin'. Is good. Don't forget the... prayer to Cayden.
    An' GORRAMMIT, be fookin' CAREFUL wit' yer drinkin'. Wossa-wossa, just right's just fun, but to excess is too much, as good ol' Fox said."


    She turns back to the strange-speaking stranger. Doesn't scoff.
    Had similar visions as well, might be time, procrastination to doff.
    She sets her glare upon him again and drums her gauntlet on the table.
    Sets him a little test, in part from sentimentality, in part to see of what he's able.

    "Arright, dreamer. Ye SEE anythin' else 'bout a priest o' the Lucky Drunk? Or a COUPLA schmott as all hell wizards? Or a brave punchy guy, Pharasmin like ye?
    Hmm... How about... an old guy wi' knives in 'is hands, nuts in 'is head and doin' searchin' likewise, just like YER doin'?"
    Avatarcred: HELL YEAH to THE Oneris! Ma'am, thank you, ma'am.
    Previous Avatars: by Dr Bath, Strawberries, zimmerwald1915

  17. - Top - End - #137
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Athens, Greece
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Hook Mountain Massacre IC

    Quote Originally Posted by Miraqariftsky View Post
    She'd bowed her appreciation
    But for further coordination
    Tomorrow still remains
    Delays... such pains.

    On entering the tavern
    Supper's scents do burn
    Up Rico's nostrils flaring
    Nods at Yads in brief greeting.

    "HRRRmmm. Smallbeer. An' lotsa milk.
    Bit o' boar. Woteva veggibles an' bready stuff. Iffen ye please."


    She glares at the madman in some concern
    Should his gaoler-to-be soon yearn
    For the mental ward or just
    The drunk tank, must?

    On hearing Noman further
    Her ears stand straighter
    Nostrils flare a breath rocked
    Amber eyes stare wide, shocked

    She glares but for now, observes
    Holds her tongue for now, energy conserves
    Grabs at Setsuna before she goes
    Gives her a grimace that into a small smile grows.

    "Hellgirl. Wotchadoin'. Is good. Don't forget the... prayer to Cayden.
    An' GORRAMMIT, be fookin' CAREFUL wit' yer drinkin'. Wossa-wossa, just right's just fun, but to excess is too much, as good ol' Fox said."


    She turns back to the strange-speaking stranger. Doesn't scoff.
    Had similar visions as well, might be time, procrastination to doff.
    She sets her glare upon him again and drums her gauntlet on the table.
    Sets him a little test, in part from sentimentality, in part to see of what he's able.

    "Arright, dreamer. Ye SEE anythin' else 'bout a priest o' the Lucky Drunk? Or a COUPLA schmott as all hell wizards? Or a brave punchy guy, Pharasmin like ye?
    Hmm... How about... an old guy wi' knives in 'is hands, nuts in 'is head and doin' searchin' likewise, just like YER doin'?"
    His drink in his hand, Noman addresses the warrior.

    "By the Spire, ain't you big?

    No. I don't see anyone else anymore. I used too see other people. The Lady of Judgement can be cryptic at times. There was once the the Knight of Pharasma, early on, but he faded some weeks ago. And I used to see the Brave Drunk. But he faded too, right after I tried to catch you all in that small town, how was it called...

    Sandpoint. Yes that it.

    I don't know what it means that their auras do not come anymore. And I still don't know your names! Or what I am supposed to do here, and I have been travelling on horseback for many weeks.
    But now drink, on me. Money is an illusion created by assent, but assent is a powerful force on its own. This is the best worst wine you can find in 30 miles direction"

  18. - Top - End - #138
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Denial

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Hook Mountain Massacre IC

    GM post

    Setsuna

    For a second or two, Thany blinks and squints even harder at you, then raises her brows and flashes silver coated teeth at you, reminding you for a brief second of sharks that you'd seen hung up for sale at the coastal markets. It's a gesture you've seen often enough in your travels, perhaps too often. It was the smile that people made when they weren't quite sure what to do with the crazy foreigner but had decided that your coin was as good as any other. "Your death wish, young lady. That's awful generous of you, either way. Eh-up!"

    Snatching up a ladle from the counter, Thany bangs it vigorously against the base of the various cast iron pots and pans hanging from the wall and ceiling. Amidst the resultant clang and clatter, a small cheer immediately goes up from around the tavern's main room, with several patrons craning their necks down the long tables towards the bar and all three of the barkeeps raising a slow fist to the ceiling in acknowledgement - a practiced gesture, it seems, to signal the purchase of a round for everyone in the house.

    Shouting instructions in Varisian down the bar, Thany then proceeds to ignore you, slipping off her stool and toddling off towards the cider barrels, armed with several large tankards and jugs in her meaty fists. Instead, it is the Varisian-looking barkeep who had served the cider who materialises in front of you, holding a bottle wrapped and knotted with plain silk in one hand and a jug of cider in the other. Giving you a quick nod of the head, she proceeds to set both bottle and jug down on the table, but not before noting your katana and the rest of your outfit with cordial interest, craning her head over the counter so that she can get a closer look.

    "Minkan, are you? Konbanwa, then." Bobbing her head in a cursory bow, the barkeep stoops to retrieve a large pot of honey and from under the counter, whistling tunelessly to herself. "The lady boss said to serve you and make sure you don't pass out. Or worse. Last person to order the special nearly ended up going for a midnight swim in the belly of a gar," she says cheerfully, reaching for various nearby spice jars and an empty mug. "First time taking the green fey then?"

    Knowledge (local) DC 13
    Spoiler
    Show
    Turns out that you've just ordered a very, very expensive bottle of absinthe. Which you probably should not try to drink neat.


    *****

    Setsuna owes the bar 55 gp. Noman owes the bar 2 gp 4 sp. Anyone who's ordered food pays 4 sp to Yads. Drinks are currently free (since Setsuna and Noman have ordered cider and cheap wine for all), but if you order anything more, you'll need to pay for it yourself.

    *****

    Red

    He knew. He knew about Sirus and Mister Fox. Red frowns, narrowing her eyes as she cups her share of cider, appreciating the warm curve of the ceramic under her palms. But anyone who had asked around in Sandpoint would surely know about them. That still didn't prove that he could be trusted. Maybe he was a spy from the fat mayor. And was pretending to be stupid by saying that he didn't know what they were doing here.

    But there was something she could ask. If this... Noman... was really dreaming dreams sent by the Lady of Graves, he was really here to help them, then he should know.

    "... M-mister Noman. If you have seen... the B-brave Drunk. Then you will... know what he d-did?" Red looks up abruptly at the grubby stranger, her jaw set and a spark of defiance flashing in her dark eyes despite her stutter.
    Last edited by maggie_mcknife; 2017-04-14 at 09:26 AM.
    Avatar by the awesome Strawberries.

    MINE:
    Spoiler
    Show
    RotRL: Burnt Offerings IC - COMPLETED
    RotRL: Skinsaw Murders IC I and II - COMPLETED
    RotRL: Hook Mountain Massacre IC and OOC

    Seraphina "Red" Allin, fighter-rogue of double kukri slicey death

  19. - Top - End - #139
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Athens, Greece
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Hook Mountain Massacre IC

    Noman

    Noman frowns and takes another gulp.

    " I don't know what you are talking about, Steely. I haven't seen him. But I do now that something is strange with you. In my dreams, your aura was strange. Like you owed Fate her dues, if that makes sense. But the Lady in the Spire had a hand on it, I wager, because she doesn't mind.

    You are a strange group. And I am used to be the strangest person around.

    So what is it that brings you here?"

  20. - Top - End - #140
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2010

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Hook Mountain Massacre IC

    Setsuna

    The Minkan tiefling smiles at the Varisian woman, bowing slightly, pleasantly surprised at being greeted, if only briefly, by her native tongue. "Minkaian o hanashimasu ka?" As nice as it is to use the language of her home, however, she quickly reverts back to Common, "I am sure I will be fine. It is just a little drink," she says fully confident in her ability to handle it and any rogue fish she might decide to drunkenly pick a fight with.

    Nodding her head, "It is. Usually I am offered brandy, or whiskey, but I wanted to try something stronger." It wasn't her fault Brin made her think about mutant, over-sized ogre ball sacks. The fact that she didn't know what ogres looked like did nothing to improve the mental image. But it was definitely an image she wanted to drink to forget, and this seemed like a fun solution. There was something else to do first though. Rico is right. We should honor his memory.

    "But first, we should thank the Lucky Drunk...a friend taught me a prayer once,"
    she says, thinking back to Ciprianno. It was strange, she'd known the Caydenite priest for only a few days, but his loss still hurt her to think about. At least until she remembered that he sacrificed himself to give Red another chance, and that he'd want them all to be happy. It's in his memory that she recites a simple prayer, honoring Cayden Cailean and her fallen friend.

    Once that is done, however, Setsuna quickly proves that she has no idea how strong this 'green fey' is, and tries to pour herself a cup without any attempt to dilute it.
    Last edited by Desril; 2016-12-23 at 10:37 PM.
    Lilith Avatar by AsteriskAmp

    Other Character Avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

    . . . . . .
    Setsuna by Kymme | Desril by Wolfshonor | Eruvia (no background) by Oneris

  21. - Top - End - #141
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Denial

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Hook Mountain Massacre IC

    Red

    He knows that too.

    The tips of Red's ears tingle as she exchanges glances with Rico, wonder and worry mingled in her eyes. If this Noman could see the deal that Mister Fox had made with Pharasma, to give up his life for hers, then maybe he was really sent by the goddess. It was a funny story he had told them. But that was how life could be at times, couldn't it? And if Chanda, suspicious bitch that she was, had liked him enough to share a drink with him and his master-in-a-box...

    "We are h-here to... look for the rangers. At Fort R-rannick. They may be... in trouble. W-we killed c-cultists. In Magnimar. T-the Fort was... m-mentioned in... ah, c-cultists' things." Red says aloud, looking down at her mug, then up at Brin and Naya, wondering if that was all right to say. He didn't need to know about the souls and Xanesha and the runewell thing yet, did he? And if he was lying... well, there were more of them than him.

    "A-and my name...is Red. N-not S-steely." Picking up her drink, Red offers Noman the edge of her mug, making an effort to look the man in the eye. Handshakes could wait until he had proved himself. "T-to Cayden. And his f-faithful."

    *****

    GM post

    Setsuna


    The barkeep laughs and shakes her head when Setsuna tries addressing her in Minkan, the micro braids under her scarf swaying as she retrieves further glasses and vials from the shelves behind her. "Nah. I only know a few words here and there - enough to say hello, order some food, swear... which is all you really need, hey? Used to travel all over the world with the family wagons as a kid."

    Watching as Setsuna unwraps the slim bottle of poisonous green before trying to uncork and pour on her own, the barkeep grins and leans over the bar to pluck it back out of the tiefling's hands, resting a gentle hand on Setsuna's own to forestall any attempts to get it back. "Easy there. The green fey's little, but she's something fierce. You gotta meet her proper. With ceremony. Watch."

    Spoiler
    Show
    Bardic Performance - Dance (Fascinate): (1d20+16)[23] vs Setsuna's Will save: (1d20+5)[18] - performance succeeds


    With a deft twist of her wrist, the barkeep sends the bottle of absinthe pinwheeling high into the air. For a split second, anyone watching might have expected the drink to crash and splinter on the floor - but no - for she snatches it back out of the air with deceptive ease, only to send it whirling back upwards, this time with a coloured vial of fiery orange grasped in her other hand. Indeed, the bottle nearly seems to float as the barkeep tosses and spins it around her person with trance-like calm, bouncing it first with the edge of her elbow, then balancing it on the flat of one palm while her other hand swiftly twirls and mixes spices, upending the contents of the vials into the cider jug in a miniature blaze of colour. By the time she lets fall a single honeycomb cube into a small brimming brass cup beaded with cold and pushes the lot towards Setsuna, she has gained a small audience of patrons, who clap and whoop appreciatively.

    "Now you drink. Go slow, mind. If that don't get extra blessing from the good old Lucky Drunk, I don't know what will." Almost chuckling, buoyant with adrenaline, the barkeep sweeps up stray strands of hair that have escaped from her scarf during the performance with her fingertips, smiling dreamily at Setsuna.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Hey, I'm allowed to make an NPC juggler archetype bard for the bartender. Just enjoy.


    *****

    Everyone else

    For those of you who haven't gotten distracted by the small show that Setsuna is getting over at the other end of the bar, the arrival of the food you'd ordered is a pleasant enough diversion. Yads hadn't been lying about piling up food on Brin's platter - Brin's plate is easily twice the size of the rest of yours, nearly spilling over with pork ribs crisped with garlic and pepper, leaving almost no room for the side serving of herbed potatoes cooked in their skins.

    "Kiani's really something, eh?" pipes up Yads happily at Naya's elbow, jerking his thumb towards the barkeep serving Setsuna. "Business was so bad last several months with that Paradise boat around, me and Thany were crackin' our heads trying to think of how to get folks back to our little place. Then she and her family passed through, looking to shelter for a while and make some coin with the shows. Had to pay her a pretty penny to stay behind, but she picked up the drink mixing quick. Well, Paradise's sunk now - good riddance to foreign rubbish. And Kiani gives folks something to cheer about. Pity them rangers ain't been showing up... you'd think a pretty girl who can put on a show like that would get those stiffs outta their cold fort and down to town, even with the Paradise gone, no?"
    Last edited by maggie_mcknife; 2016-12-24 at 06:13 AM.
    Avatar by the awesome Strawberries.

    MINE:
    Spoiler
    Show
    RotRL: Burnt Offerings IC - COMPLETED
    RotRL: Skinsaw Murders IC I and II - COMPLETED
    RotRL: Hook Mountain Massacre IC and OOC

    Seraphina "Red" Allin, fighter-rogue of double kukri slicey death

  22. - Top - End - #142
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    jamieth's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Hook Mountain Massacre IC

    Naya

    Looking worriedly at Setsuna, sylph wonders whether she'll have to make sure the tiefling won't cause a scene either... How did it happen that I became the responsible one, anyway? - but then the bartender's show makes her lose that trail of thought. Seems miss Setsuna's in good hands, she nods to herself, reaching into her relatively bottomless bag and fetching a handful of coins. Two little hurricanes conjured in quick succession deliver four silvers to Yads, and the rest of the stack - with a single platinum in there by occasion - to Kiani, accompanied by a smile and a cheering gesture.
    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    So after paying 4 sp for the food, I found myself sitting at the ugly sum of 5013,4 GP, and decided there was no reason not to round it down to something more manageable :-) BTW, Fascinate was only aimed at Setsuna?


    Turning her attention to Red and Noman, she nods, approaching them and joining the conversation, "And it's possible the orges are working with... or for... the cutl's leader... though even if not, they deserve a good lightning for what they've done to people here. And a good blade, and, well, a good arrow as well, I think", she extends a hand to Noman for a handshake.
    Tome of Radiance, a Magical Girl sourcebook for 3.5/PF.

    "Jamie" is fine. TH is mostly there to make sure the name would be free on any forum I'd want to register :-)

    Extended signature

  23. - Top - End - #143
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2010

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Hook Mountain Massacre IC

    Setsuna

    Whether it's the bartender's cute face, smile, or literally magical performance that does it, Setsuna can't help but stare while the drink is mixed and nod her head at the suggestion to drink slowly. She does have the entire bottle after all, there wasn't any particular need to guzzle it down, and she could use this as a chance to gather information too. It was, after all, at least part of why they were here.

    Thanking Kiani, whose name she still didn't know, "So what can you tell me about what has been happening lately? We have heard a little and we are going to Fort Rannick tomorrow, but is there anything to watch for other than ogres?" While waiting for an answer she takes a drink, slowly, as instructed, and her eyes go wide. Even watered down it was much stronger than the cheap brandy that Rico usually offered her, and it tasted far better. Normally she drank to get drunk, but this one she was going to enjoy the journey too. Smiling, "This is..." she blinks, struggling for the right word and eventually settling on "really good, please you should try some, you made it," she says, offering the bartender a drink.

    Spoiler
    Show

    Diplomacy to gather intel/flirt! (1d20+11)[23]
    Lilith Avatar by AsteriskAmp

    Other Character Avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

    . . . . . .
    Setsuna by Kymme | Desril by Wolfshonor | Eruvia (no background) by Oneris

  24. - Top - End - #144
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Miraqariftsky's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Stormwracked verdant hive
    Gender
    Male2Female

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Hook Mountain Massacre IC

    Huh. Well. We're already inside a building out of the rain. Looks like I'll hafta ask Red to return that loaned hat later.

    Hmm. He didn't dream of Mandraiv, Taladron an' Simatzu. Hmm. Cipriano an' Sirus are spot-on, though.

    Well... dunno if Sirus IS well-an'-truly dead, but... close enough?


    Sombre, Rico stares at Noman and touches the brim of her wide helm, nods respectfully and says. "They's dead. They died heroes, fightin' against incredible foes, savin' their comrades an' countless innocents. Peace be on 'em."

    "On you, eh?" Rico nods slowly, then raises her goat's milk in a toast, then quaffs half the flagon right off. "To absent friends. Never forget."

    "Speakin' o' not fergettin'..."
    She frowns as she slides a dagger towards Noman, hilt first. "...no offence meant. Seriously. But please. Gimme a little couple little cuts on yer arms. I ain't cruel 'nuff ta ask fer cuts on yer hands, dem's bad fer business. JUST need ta see if yer blood is red.

    What? We tangled wi' face-stealin' fiends a while back. Tis de blood wot tells."


    Not quite subtly, her left hand quirks towards the ominous bulk of some massive weapon, still shouldered, still strapped, but not entirely safe. She smiles thinly, meeting his gaze, showing him her sincerity.

    She nods slowly towards Red and Naya, saying to Noman, "Aye, wot they said. Der's a whole DAMNED lot o' hellwankery thattaway, but dey's said de gist of it."

    Snorting over the edge of her tall glass of goat's milk, she says, "The name's Constable Rico. At yer serv..."

    Spotting Setsuna's sensational debauchery from the corner of her eye, she groans and stuffs her gob with gravy-soaked barley bread, the while, massaging her throbbing temples. Is THIS the right time to tell them? Hellgirl deserves to hear it too. But, holy friggin' hellsteeth. Being sober, or trying to be... holy crap, waddaheck. Lookin' at her an' Brin now... Was I =THAT= bad?

    Getting up, and cradling her tankard of smallbeer in one hand, she stretches, rolling her shoulders. "KOFF. 'Scuse me, sorreh. Need me a little fresh air."

    Passing by Red, she leans close to her scarlet-framed ear and whispers, "Dunwurreh. Just... a little favour iffen ye please. Tell the others we needs ta git a little bit o' serious meetin' done afore we all pop off ta sleep tonight. Thanks."

    When she finds Yads, she presses one gold guilder into his hand. "Thanks fer the food. Commlimends to da chef."

    Pausing, she says, while fishing out one more gold piece. "Keep de change fer THAT, dunwurreh. But could I get THIS one broken down? Silvers, iffen ye please."

    Outside, just within the fortunate shade of the awning, she leans back against the wall and sighs, simply staring at the pouring rain, basking in the numbing cadence.

    Funny. Used ta worry with the rain. Nice contrast, though. Helps ta forget. Though... FUNNY. Might well be that I'd helped lead Setsuna down 'er sottish path. Buggerin' hell.
    Last edited by Miraqariftsky; 2016-12-24 at 10:26 AM.
    Avatarcred: HELL YEAH to THE Oneris! Ma'am, thank you, ma'am.
    Previous Avatars: by Dr Bath, Strawberries, zimmerwald1915

  25. - Top - End - #145
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Denial

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Hook Mountain Massacre IC

    GM post

    The barkeep, catching sight of the glint of metal in the air, scoops up Naya's coins and acknowledges the sylph's generosity with a flamboyant blown kiss. Turning back towards Setsuna, she quirks a slim eyebrow and demurs with a firm shake of the head. Perhaps it is simply the alcohol, potent as it is, going to Setsuna's head. Or the lingering allure of the performance. But the barkeep was unusually pretty for a Varisian - lithe of limb, smooth of skin, a sleek, angular cast to her face, and worst of all, eyes the colour of warm brandy that you could lose yourself in if you stared at her for too long...

    "Would be bad form to drink my own work while on duty, darling. But I'll take that cider you bought for the house." Drawing herself a half mug, the barkeep takes a careful sip from before setting the cup down again and studying Setsuna intently, tapping her fingers on the countertop as her gaze lingers on the tiefling's collarbones. "So you're the help from Magnimar, I'll take it, if you're heading up to thataways. 'fraid I can't tell you much. I'm new enough to the Ferry myself. Would go out for walks when I'm not working the bar, but Thany's insistent that I don't go wandering until the rangers come back. Too many folks gone missing in the past weeks and all that bad luck with the Paradise sunk to the bottom of the lake... I can tell you, my da' wrote me first thing once he heard of all that. Said he'd had my nan read the cards and that things were all murky, told me to come back to the caravan. But I don't believe in all that superstition - do you?"
    Avatar by the awesome Strawberries.

    MINE:
    Spoiler
    Show
    RotRL: Burnt Offerings IC - COMPLETED
    RotRL: Skinsaw Murders IC I and II - COMPLETED
    RotRL: Hook Mountain Massacre IC and OOC

    Seraphina "Red" Allin, fighter-rogue of double kukri slicey death

  26. - Top - End - #146
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2010

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Hook Mountain Massacre IC

    Setsuna

    Briefly feeling guilty about her offer, the rejection being perfectly logical, Setsuna listens but bites her lip as she tries to answer. "We are, but the Lord-Mayor did not tell us how bad things truly were here, and I still do not understand why he delayed us for a week," she sighs before turning her attention to Kiani's question. "And I know that true seers are rare, and their warnings are...cryptic, but they should be listened too...but we have dealt with worse things than ogres, and I already promised to deal with them as soon as we find the rangers," she explains while continuing to drink. "What is in this?" she asks amazed at the concoction, mentally kicking herself for not having experimented more with alcohol over the last two years.
    Lilith Avatar by AsteriskAmp

    Other Character Avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

    . . . . . .
    Setsuna by Kymme | Desril by Wolfshonor | Eruvia (no background) by Oneris

  27. - Top - End - #147
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2011

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Hook Mountain Massacre IC

    The platter of boar wasn't going to eat itself, nor the vestigial side-offerings squeezed onto the edge of the plate for that matter. No, Brin had ordered a double portion, and she planned to devour the entirety before the group passed out this evening. And the way Setsuna was throwing back the expensive stuff, that might be sooner rather than later.

    Brin herself, an experienced enthusiast of strong beverages, hardly ever indulged in the top shelf offerings on her own coin. The bottom shelf stuff got you just as drunk for a pittance, after all, and with plenty left over to spend on, say, roasted boar. She watches Setsuna experiment with the local liquor with some amusement as Yads brings food and the free round. If she were slightly more sober, she might wonder if the tiefling was about to do something that would get them all thrown out of the tavern, much like how they weren't welcome in a certain shop in Sandpoint anymore.

    "Fanks a lod, Thethuna." Brin looks up from gorging herself on aromatically spiced ribs and swallows down her mouthful of meat with one long pull of cider before offering a belated toast. "To toplessh warriors and bottomlessh drinks!"

    But something the barkeep said reminds Brin of what they're doing in town. Specifically, that letter they'd found. The newcomer's odd sense of fate and aura and what not demanded attention, but there was some pressing business at hand first.

    "Er, Master Yads. The Paradishe, whose barge wuz it, anyway? Don't suppose the owner survived the sinkin', or any of them who worked the boat?"

  28. - Top - End - #148
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Denial

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Hook Mountain Massacre IC

    GM post

    Brin (and anyone else listening in)


    "Nay, milady. Took the entire crew and all the souls on board down with her. Good two dozen folk, may the gods have mercy on 'em, none got out in time. In a village this small, you feel the loss of everyone worse." Yads sighs heavily and draws a perfunctory Pharasmin spiral over his jacketed breast, before leaning in towards Brin with a conspiratorial air.

    "Now her owner you say? Foreign lady from Cheliax. Called herself Lucrecia, but Cayden turn me wine sour if that was her real name. Real strumpet that one - just showed up over a year back, strutting 'bout town with flesh showing and tarting herself up and down the main street. Drove Father Shreed nuts, but she wasn't breaking no laws by Old Deadeye's count. And that gambling boat of hers was right popular too - even had some of those Black Arrows down 'most nights."

    Sense Motive DC 14
    Spoiler
    Show
    Yads doesn't really seem all that cut up over the sinking of the barge. And he really doesn't like this Lucrecia. Perhaps this has something to do with the fact that the Paradise, as he mentioned earlier, was a direct competitor for business.


    *****

    Setsuna

    "Honey. Cinnamon. Anise. Cider... And you're lucky that your barge was carrying fruits for us to juice." Counting the ingredients off on her fingers, the barkeep cants her head to one side and grins, folding her arms. "You're a cocky one, all right. I've lived on the road most my life - ogres are just about the one thing you do not want meet on a dark night. And you say you've met worse? Do tell."
    Avatar by the awesome Strawberries.

    MINE:
    Spoiler
    Show
    RotRL: Burnt Offerings IC - COMPLETED
    RotRL: Skinsaw Murders IC I and II - COMPLETED
    RotRL: Hook Mountain Massacre IC and OOC

    Seraphina "Red" Allin, fighter-rogue of double kukri slicey death

  29. - Top - End - #149
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2010

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Hook Mountain Massacre IC

    Setsuna

    Making note of everything in the concoction, a note that will likely be drowned by the alcohol, Setsuna smiles and nods, "I would be happy to, but some of them might require some background."

    Thinking back, she briefly wonders where to start, but ultimately there was really only one area that made sense. Her trip across the Crown of the World was actually pretty boring, all things considered, but ever since she arrived at Sandpoint it's been one adventure after another. "Well, first, about two months ago, Sandpoint came under attack by goblins. They are not threatening, but since I had to fight in the middle of town without my top and it was how I met my friends it stands out in memory," she admits. "And that they were being led by an aasimar who was empowered by Lamashtu and her comrades, they and the yeth hound that was with them were more dangerous than a couple of ogres...I tried to stop her without a fight but it did not work," she says with a hint of regret and takes another drink before continuing. "But they were just trying to reach a barghest that the goblins were worshiping that was trapped in a secret room on the island...we fought him too, but..." pausing she takes a long look at her drink, "If not for a friend's sacrifice we might not have survived. Maybe if we were to fight it now things would be different, but we were too weak then."

    Then, almost like an afterthought, she continues. "...and after that we were attacked by a large group of ghouls and ghasts while hunting for a ghast that retained his mind but went insane, although I think maybe the haunted house was more dangerous than he was."

    Shaking her head to ward off the bad memory that just hit her, "The ghast was just being manipulated though, so we tracked down the leader of a cult that was controlling him from Magnimar...there were several things there but I suppose the only ones that were stronger than ogres would be the leader and the backup it had when we fought her. That was a difficult fight," she says with at least a hint of modesty, thinking about how badly some of the others had been injured, and how hurt she was by Xanesha earlier that morning. "While the others fought an angry flesh golem and gargoyles, I fought the lamia matriarch that was leading them," she explains, describing the details of that fight as she recalls them, though of course she remembered the specifics of her duel with Xanesha in more vivid detail than what was happening with the others, and she neglects to mention the encounter she'd had with the lamia earlier that morning.

    Having continued to drink all through her explanations, and into the story now, the tiefling continues on revealing a bit more than she probably should, "And after we dealt with her, we found a note in the lamia's room from her sister who said she was here, but the Lord-Mayor delayed us for a week or we would have been here sooner."

    Spoiler
    Show

    I'm bad at talking up fight scenes. Dice, save me!

    Diplomacy (1d20+11)[28]

    And I assume given the amount she has there to describe and that she was drinking the whole time now she needs a save (1d20+8)[21] (+2 more if alcohol counts as poison, which I argue it does)
    Lilith Avatar by AsteriskAmp

    Other Character Avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

    . . . . . .
    Setsuna by Kymme | Desril by Wolfshonor | Eruvia (no background) by Oneris

  30. - Top - End - #150
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Athens, Greece
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Hook Mountain Massacre IC

    Noman

    Overhearing Brin talking to Yads, Noman 's ears almost twitch as he feels the undercurrent of what was actually being said. Turning to Yads, he says

    "You don't seem that distressed with the Paradise 's sinking. I know, competition is never good, but was it something else too? And about the Black Arrows, you say there were some there? Did they also get lost when the boat sunk?"

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •