Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 9 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast
Results 241 to 270 of 657
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2010

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Hook Mountain Massacre IC

    Setsuna

    As talk turns from getting away to confronting their pursuers, Setsuna frowns. What'd happened with Xanesha had made her want to live more in the moment, but that didn't mean she wasn't still fairly reckless, and when Red expressed concern, the tiefling put a hand on her shoulder, "There is no reason for us all to fight. Keep going, I will buy you all time...if they are not here in a minute I will be right behind you, and if they are then I will deal with them and catch up."

    There wasn't much else to say, but she still calls out, "Shalelu-san, keep going!"

    Spoiler
    Show

    I think we could probably just keep running, but if we're going to stay and fight...well, up to you all if you want to stick around or leave this to me. Worgs and ogrekin aren't that threatening, I'm confident Setsuna can win (or stall them and escape). I just can't resist having her offer to hold the line
    Lilith Avatar by AsteriskAmp

    Other Character Avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

    . . . . . .
    Setsuna by Kymme | Desril by Wolfshonor | Eruvia (no background) by Oneris

  2. - Top - End - #242
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2011

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Hook Mountain Massacre IC

    Brin levels a suspicious gaze at Setsuna. "You been siphoning off my jug when I was distracted? Because surely you're still three sheets to the wind, suggesting we split up. If there enough of them to be a problem, then we'll need to all fight them to stand a chance. If there are enough for you to beat alone, then seeing us all here might make them run off with their tails between their legs."
    Take a deep breath.
    Take a step back.
    And wonder how you can make it funnier.
    -Ilorin Lorati

  3. - Top - End - #243
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Denial

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Hook Mountain Massacre IC

    Red

    Brin wasn't the only one who didn't think Setsuna was making any sense. Stiffening a little when Setsuna places a hand on her shoulder, Red closes her eyes and takes a deep breath.

    "Miss Brin... is right. The last time... you were alone with the enemy... you were hurt. Badly." She closes a firm hand over Setsuna's wrist, her fingers digging in a little harder than she'd meant to as she shrugs the tiefling's hand from her shoulder. "We... will face them together."

    As Red moves away from Setsuna, she manages to catch Rico's eye and jerk her head towards Vale. Best to keep an eye on that one, really. Just in case he turned out to be another shapechanger in disguise or a turncloak or something. There were just too many of those running about these days.

    *****

    GM post

    Noman has been botted to have been sent back to Turtleback Ferry to warn the locals while the party was on its way to current location. He will be considered to have left the game until further notice.

    The instant Shalelu mentions combat, Vale seems to perk up, visibly standing a little straighter with a curious glimmer of grim satisfaction lighting up his eyes. Loosely swinging the borrowed hatchet in his left hand, testing its weight as he flexes his wrist, he limps his way towards Setsuna and offers her a nod laced with unmistakable glee. "Don't be facing these beasts alone, ma'am. Worgs - they're mighty cunning in their own way. The more of us, the better off we'll be. It'll be my honour to give those bastards a mighty good bashing at yer side."

    There is little time to make further preparations of your own. A few scant minutes later, the first worg arrives on the scene - a hulking, black-furred wretch that yelps aloud and quickly backs up to the shelter of the nearest tree in a scuffle of claws on dirt, barking aloud. (For those of you with sharp enough eyes, you glimpse that the creature bears a raw, inflamed nose, with a comical trickle of yellowish mucus that clings to its muzzle. Rico's chilli powder, apparently, has not been much to the snuffing pleasure of this worg.) And at once, the surrounding bushes along the trail where you'd recently trod comes alive in a fury of growls and angry, guttural voices.

    "Goblin. They speak that tongue. They curse us to the Demon Bitch" remarks Shalelu calmly, with an arrow already nocked on her bow string as she sights down at the tree that the worg had vanished behind, ready to shoot it at a moment's notice.

    Instead of a charging worg, however, what next stomps down the path is perhaps far larger and uglier than most of you had anticipated. With a shuddering of tree branches, a massive barrel-chested swag-bellied monstrosity nearly eight feet tall, with filthy mud-mottled skin slathered with violet war paint, lumbers into view. Clad in little more than a tattered loincloth and a patchy cape that reeks of rotten meat, the creature curls the lips of a mouth that is far too wide and sneers at you, piggy crimson eyes gleaming beneath a bulging, hairless brow. Within the oversized knuckles of one hand, it grasps both a longspear and the scruff of a lifeless, bloodied firepelt cougar with its eyes gouged out; its other hand is but a fused mess of bone with a single withered finger sticking out pathetically atop like a crude joke.

    "Nowt who's been 'urting me pup-pups an' meking 'um ha-choo? An' let down me man-bait before he got ripe? Leave 'um and scrum, less I 'urts yous back." The creature - evidently the ogrekin hunter that Vale had spoken of - brandishes its rusty spear point in your direction for emphasis, causing the firepelt's broken body to swing violently back and forth. Throwing back its head, the ogrekin laughs raucously, exposing its jagged, broken teeth and a spotted tongue as the worgs slowly creep up and wait just behind its heels.
    Last edited by maggie_mcknife; 2017-03-25 at 04:19 AM.
    Avatar by the awesome Strawberries.

    MINE:
    Spoiler
    Show
    RotRL: Burnt Offerings IC - COMPLETED
    RotRL: Skinsaw Murders IC I and II - COMPLETED
    RotRL: Hook Mountain Massacre IC and OOC

    Seraphina "Red" Allin, fighter-rogue of double kukri slicey death

  4. - Top - End - #244
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Miraqariftsky's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Stormwracked verdant hive
    Gender
    Male2Female

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Hook Mountain Massacre IC

    Rico,
    Mage Armour'd
    HP 56/56
    AC 23/22


    ((Playing! A little bit! Of! Catch-up! Sorry! I was! Away!))

    "Axe. H'alrighty, then." Rico said as she unclasped the spike-backed hatchet and presented its grip to Vale. The head is scored from use, but still bears the signs of Chelish make. The haft is old oak, and partially bound in leather wrap. It smells of oil and sweat, maintenance and use.

    Looking at him askance, she can't help but wonder if he'll make it out alive, under-armed as he is. She catches Red's eye and nods, staying her hand from offering the

    She tilts her head at Shalelu's words and slows down, nodding. "TCH. Yer right, ma'am. If THAT place's enemy territory now, we'll be hammer-an'-anvil'd atween 'em."

    The heck've I come to, now?

    Ugh.

    Then again, every little bit helps.


    A brow rises at Setsuna's touch on Red, and a gauntleted hand as well. But she holds herself back. Neither the time, nor the place. And Red knows how to handle herself. Still. Ye gods. After THAT, and STILL?

    Rummaging in her pouch, she fishes out two of the vials she was looking for and tosses Vale and Red another couple of potions. Longspear leaning on her shoulder, she takes one down, but pauses with the other still corked as her ears twitch at something coming from the underbrush.

    Spoiler
    Show

    Stocks down:
    Enlarge Person, down to 8. ---not yet imbibed
    Mage Armour, down to 8. ---IMBIBED
    Both should last for... er, however long they're good for? "One minute per level" and "One hour per level" respectively.


    She hefts her black spear above her head, takes a deep breath and...

    ...gets her stride interrupted by the entry of the enemy. Her nostrils flare and she scowls at their foulness.

    And notices that they are... foolishly packed close together. Her hand darts for the rope handle of one of her amphorae, gives it one whirl, then hurls right at the ogrekin's chest. "HEY, ARSEWIPE! DRINKS"RE ON ME!"

    Spoiler
    Show

    (1d20+11)[28]
    1 Dex + 7 BAB + 2 Favoured Enemy [Giants] + 1 Throw Anything
    (1d12+7)[13] BOGGGG! KRUNCH! KEESSSSHH!
    (10d6+2)[29] (+10 damage to adjacent targets) SPLOOOFF!
    Avatarcred: HELL YEAH to THE Oneris! Ma'am, thank you, ma'am.
    Previous Avatars: by Dr Bath, Strawberries, zimmerwald1915

  5. - Top - End - #245
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Denial

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Hook Mountain Massacre IC

    GM post

    Rico attacks in what the GM will consider a surprise round.

    The cluster of worgs yelp in sudden panic as the caustic liquid within Rico's homemade pottery bomb splashes over their stinking pelts. Whining piteously, they swipe at their faces, rubbing their muzzles along the ground in an attempt to soothe the stinging with the clamminess of moist earth. As for the ogrekin himself, however, a quick upward jerk of his fist had swung the limp body of the firepelt between him and Rico, causing the amphorae to shatter on its bloodied hide rather than on his chest. His makeshift animal shield suffices to shield him from the worst of the explosion, even as raw scarlet welts instantly bubble up on his bloated belly and thighs from where the acid had splashed and dripped.

    "Yous oughta had run, orc-meat! Now I catches yous and the man-baits all fer mammy! She cooks yous all inna pie, see if she don't!" With a bestial roar, the ogrekin flings the now-smoking corpse of the firepelt against the nearest tree. With a maddened glow in his eyes, he clutches his spear and glowers at Rico, jabbing his spear towards her forehead.

    "Ey, pup-pups! Rippout that one's throat fust!"

    *****

    Combat begins.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Party Initiative:
    Setsuna: 17 in OOC
    Naya: 16 in OOC
    Brin: (1d20+9)[24]
    Red: (1d20+5)[24]
    Rico: (1d20+1)[15]
    Shalelu: (1d20+3)[21]
    Vale: (1d20+1)[17]

    Enemy Intiative:
    Rukus: (1d20+6)[19]
    W1: (1d20+4)[12]
    W2: (1d20+4)[9]
    W3: (1d20+4)[17]
    W4: (1d20+4)[24]
    W5: (1d20+4)[14]
    W6: (1d20+4)[19]


    Initiative Order:
    > 24 - Brin
    24 - Red
    24 - Worg 4
    21 - Shalelu
    19 - Rukus Graul
    19 - Worg 6
    17 - Setsuna
    17 - Worg 3
    17 - Vale
    16 - Naya
    15 - Rico
    14 - Worg 5
    12 - Worg 1
    9 - Worg 2


    It is now Brin's turn.


    *****

    Combat Map
    Spoiler
    Show


    GM note: Trees and shrubbery are not obstacles to ranged attacks except where there is a tree trunk (look for where the branches converge on a point). Movement through a square that is 50-100% occupied by trees or shrubbery will reduce movement speed by half.
    Last edited by maggie_mcknife; 2017-03-25 at 04:21 AM.
    Avatar by the awesome Strawberries.

    MINE:
    Spoiler
    Show
    RotRL: Burnt Offerings IC - COMPLETED
    RotRL: Skinsaw Murders IC I and II - COMPLETED
    RotRL: Hook Mountain Massacre IC and OOC

    Seraphina "Red" Allin, fighter-rogue of double kukri slicey death

  6. - Top - End - #246
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2011

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Hook Mountain Massacre IC

    "Cover your eyes!" Brin snaps, pointing right at the sore-speckled mound of flesh that constituted what must be a Graul. "Lady, see fit to snatch their site away and scorch their pelts!" Brin shouts. Bright light explodes within the midst of her foes, burning retinas, blistering warty skins, and and turning greasy fur to smoke as it burst forth in a blazing halo.

    She'd be a fool to expect that alone to stop the charge, though. She readies her bow.


    Spoiler
    Show
    Standard to cast Burst of Radianc centered on J-k/6-7. That should hit 2, 3,5 and Ruckus. Ref DC 15 or blinded for (1d4)[2] rounds. If successful, dazzled for [(1d4)[2] rounds. If evil, take (5d4)[12] damage, no save.

    Move action to draw her bow
    Take a deep breath.
    Take a step back.
    And wonder how you can make it funnier.
    -Ilorin Lorati

  7. - Top - End - #247
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Denial

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Hook Mountain Massacre IC

    GM post

    Brin casts Burst of Radiance.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Reflex saves:
    Rukus Graul: (1d20+4)[8] - failed
    W2: (1d20+8)[19] - passed
    W5: (1d20+8)[16] - passed
    W3: (1d20+8)[16] - passed


    The sudden flash of shimmering violet light sends the worgs into a frenzy of scream-pitched whimpers. Already tormented by chilli-inflamed nostrils and the recent shower of acid that seared right through fur and flesh, further pain hones their sense to needle-point as they violently shy their heads away, whining and mewling in agony.

    Their bloated master, on the other hand, is less lucky. His malformed hand with its single pathetic finger, as it turns out, makes for a poor cover from the Lady's light. As the radiance pierces his eyes, the deep guttural scream that tears forth from the ogrekin's oversized maw is loud enough to feel in your bones, birds startling out of the nearby bush as he paws frantically at his face, bawling and blubbering.

    "Beetch! Whatchu do me eyes? MEEE EEEYYYYEEEES?!!!"

    Rukus Graul is now blinded for 2 rounds, Worgs 2, 3 and 5 are dazzled for 2 rounds.

    *****

    Red
    AC 23
    HP 55/55


    Spoiler
    Show
    Move to I7, staying out of Rukus's reach to avoid AoO
    Power Attack vs W2
    Attack: (1d20+11)[28]
    Damage: (1d4+7)[8]


    Wincing a little as her ears rang, Red risks a glance under her arm. Whatever Brin's spell had been, it must have worked. That bigfolk was screaming loud enough to wake the dead. He also couldn't see. It'd be best to stick him now. In the armpit or the neck. Or even across the belly, in his groin, which would easier to reach. Except...

    ... except that he was huge. Really huge. Even blind, if he got her with that spear... or if the worgs circled in on her.

    The worgs then. The worgs were still hurting. And there were one-two-three-four of them.

    "...R-rico. Us both. Together." Skirting out of the bigfolk's reach, Red dashes forth and hacks at the jaw of the nearest worg with a powerful backhand that nearly carves the beast's neck in two, the spurt of hot blood lashing across her face and chest like a baptism.

    Worg 2 is now dead.

    *****

    Worg 4 and Shalelu

    Spoiler
    Show
    W4
    Move to N10
    Attack vs Shalelu
    Attack: (1d20+9)[29]
    Damage: (1d6+6)[7]

    Confirm Critical - Attack: (1d20+9)[18], Damage: (1d6+6)[12] - failed

    Shalelu
    Stays where she is, full attack with PBS
    Attack: (1d20+12)[22]
    Damage: (1d8+1)[7]
    Attack: (1d20+7)[12]
    Damage: (1d8+1)[8]


    Even as Red races to deal with the worg pack before you, Shalelu's shout of fury alerts the rest of you to the fact that not all of the worgs have gathered behind their master. For those of you who whirl at the elven ranger's cry, you find her squaring off against the black-furred worg that had been the first to appear, blood welling up from a deep bite in her thigh.

    Shalelu's eyes glint a poisonous emerald green at having been caught off guard. Even wounded, the elf moves with a marvelous dexterity, dancing lightly, almost mockingly on her feet as she dodges the worg's further advances. Snatching up another arrow from the quiver at her side, she plants the sole of her boot on the worg's muzzle and takes aim at the squirming, snarling beast.

    "Daan ghac al'duul. Druun maan kegaan?"* The crude speech of the goblins rolls harshly enough off Shalelu's tongue. But for those of you who have never heard a worg's black speech aloud, the beast's defiant reply is a terrible rasping sound to send shivers down the spine.

    "An ghaan khruur, ol'daac tol. Dar ar A magaan okhaac mel-"

    The beast's reply is cut short into a choked yelp as Shalelu, her face set like stone, releases both of her arrows at once, one of them striking the worg deep in the throat.

    Translation
    Spoiler
    Show
    *The man alpha. Does he live?

    ** Ask me not, elf scum. What if I have eaten him-


    *****

    Rukus Graul

    Spoiler
    Show
    Stays where he is, uses Intimidate vs Setsuna
    Intimidate check: (1d20+12)[30]

    DC is 10 + the targetís Hit Dice (6) + the targetís Wisdom modifier (-1) for DC 15
    Rukus's Intimidate check succeeds, bypasses DC by 30-15=15, for an extra 3 rounds of duration


    Being blinded seems to have driven the ogrekin into an even greater paroxysm of rage. Bubbles of bloodied spit froth at the corners of his cracked lips as he shrieks and stomps at his unseen tormentors, tramping the ground beneath his massive bare feet to a swampy mess. He scrabbles frenetically at his nethers with his malformed hand, semi-coherent abuse still streaming from his foul mouth even he jerks back and forth.

    "Beetch! BEETCH! Damn yous! Jes yous waits, JES YOU WAITS. Imma mek yous scream, open yous purty mouth wide an' choke. Gunna stick it to yous til yous break-"

    As fate would have it, it is not Rico or Brin that the disgusting blinded ogrekin happens to be directly facing, but Setsuna. Between the nauseating stench of rotting meat on his breath and the sudden realisation up-close that the prickly patches poking up on the brute's cape looked a lot like human hair and the obvious tumescence now bulging beneath his scraggly loincloth, it is difficult for the young tiefling to keep her focus on the battle as her thoughts, unbidden, stray to mind visions of violence and fear.

    Setsuna is Shaken for a total of 4 rounds.

    *****

    Worg 6

    Spoiler
    Show
    Moves to G10
    Attack vs Naya
    Attack: (1d20+9)[22]
    Damage: (1d6+6)[9]


    Meanwhile, on the other side of the dirt trail, Naya becomes suddenly aware of a fleet grey shadow lurking in the undergrowth just beyond. No sooner has she done so when the worg, sensing that it'd been spotted, decides to dispense with stealth and go instead for an all-out rush against the sylph. Crashing wildly through the bushes, the worg leaps for Naya's throat, its fangs bared and flashing.

    Spoiler
    Show
    GM note: I'm aware that Naya has Windy Escape prepared. Will she use it here or save it for later?


    *****

    Initiative Order:
    24 - Brin
    24 - Red
    24 - Worg 4
    21 - Shalelu
    19 - Rukus Graul - blinded
    19 - Worg 6
    > 17 - Setsuna - shaken
    17 - Worg 3 - dazzled
    17 - Vale
    16 - Naya
    15 - Rico
    14 - Worg 5 - dazzled
    12 - Worg 1
    9 - Worg 2 - dazzled


    It is now Setsuna's turn.


    *****

    Combat Map
    Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by maggie_mcknife; 2017-03-26 at 12:00 PM.
    Avatar by the awesome Strawberries.

    MINE:
    Spoiler
    Show
    RotRL: Burnt Offerings IC - COMPLETED
    RotRL: Skinsaw Murders IC I and II - COMPLETED
    RotRL: Hook Mountain Massacre IC and OOC

    Seraphina "Red" Allin, fighter-rogue of double kukri slicey death

  8. - Top - End - #248
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2010

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Hook Mountain Massacre IC

    Setsuna
    HP 46
    AC 25


    With Maethilur drawn and at the ready, Setsuna had been about to charge the ogrekin until it spoke up. The image came unbidden, the thought of the monster following through with its threat, her allies routed or slain while she...gagging at the thought of that thing in her mouth, the tiefling hesitated, her feet failing to move and nearly causing her to trip before she regained her balance. Shaking her head in an effort to chase away the thought, No, he wouldn't, she does her best but the sight of the human-like hair is enough to make her realize that the creature bellowing out the threat was half-ogre...and given how they were born, it was a very real threat. Unfortunately, the threat alone was enough, the damage was done, and the Tian princess' imagination was starting to get the better of her, distracting her, making her movements unsure.

    But still, with an effort of will she steps forward, ducking under the reach of his spear and eliciting another gagging sound, enchanting Maethilur even as she swings the blade in an upward arc. And whether it was because of the threat, the unwanted images assailing her mind, her recent experiences with being too forgiving, or just simply the fact that there was nothing else one could do with an ogre, the tiefling doesn't hold back and actively moves to kill the Graal, rather than merely render him unconscious, and stammers out the incantation to electrify her blade.

    Spoiler
    Show

    And now Setsuna is being haunted by horrible images. Rico have anything strong to drink after this is over?

    Ruckus was described with a spear so I don't think he threatens adjacent to himself so I shouldn't need the concentration check to cast defensively. If I'm mistaken I'll roll it in the dice thread.

    5ft step to K8
    Arcane Pool (+Shocking and Keen to Mae)
    Shocking Grasp Spell Combat Spellstrike

    Shocking Slash (1d20+12)[28]
    Damage (1d8+7)[15] + (1d6)[3] +(5d6)[23]
    Confirmation (1d20+12)[22]
    Damage (2d8+14)[21] + (1d6)[1] + (5d6)[19]
    (36 slashing + 46 electric for 82 total damage if crit confirmed)


    Attack (1d20+9)[19] (+3 if the above misses)
    Damage (1d8+7)[9] + (1d6)[1] (+ the 5d6 above if it missed the first time)



    If he attacks; PARRY (1d20+11)[13]

    And Riposte (1d20+11)[21] (+3 if the two attacks missed)
    Damage (1d8+7)[14] + (1d6)[3] (+ the 5d6 if both of the above missed! It'll stick around 'til it hits him!)
    Last edited by Desril; 2017-03-26 at 09:04 PM.
    Lilith Avatar by AsteriskAmp

    Other Character Avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

    . . . . . .
    Setsuna by Kymme | Desril by Wolfshonor | Eruvia (no background) by Oneris

  9. - Top - End - #249
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Denial

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Hook Mountain Massacre IC

    GM post

    Naya uses Windy Escape to avoid taking damage from Worg 6.


    *****

    Setsuna

    Fear numbs Setsuna's mind and weights her arms with lead. Yet in the end, it is the sheer, sharp edge of a blind terror that she hadn't known herself capable of that wins out. Moving almost from instinct rather than conscious thought, Setsuna forcefully swings her katana upward in a ragged arc, the black blade catching the ogrekin in the crotch before sawing through his tumid belly in an explosion of black blood and steaming viscera.

    For a moment, Setsuna's world is all hot breath and screaming - the dull ring of Maethilur's edge as it jars and scrapes on bone, her hands frantically tugging at the now-slick handle, the syllables of power filling her mouth with the sour tang of iron and filling the air with the whispering crackle of electricity, almost choking on the acrid stench of burning hide-

    -and then it is over. The ogrekin twitches at her feet in a widening pool of his own body fluids, split from groin to sternum like a slain boar being dressed for the slaughterhouse, even as the forest echoes with the panicked howls of the worg pack as they turn tail and flee. The scent of raw meat and feces hangs heavy in the air, as does the choking waft of ammonia as what remains of the ogrekin's bowels loosens, its contents soaking rapidly into the forest floor.

    Just out of arm's reach, Red stares unblinkingly at the tiefling, her expression inscrutable from behind its fresh mask of crimson - and now black-speckled - blood. A quick look around by Setsuna suffices to confirm that most of the ogrekin's insides did indeed splatter onto any of her comrades who were unfortunate to stand close enough, while a glance downwards finds her own body so drenched in black blood and fragments of flesh (not to mention unidentifiable lumps of fat and fried organs) that it is difficult to even see the marble paleness of her skin.

    "Woah." From somewhere behind Setsuna, Vale clears his throat, his tone reverent and clearly very much awed. "Um. That's. Just woah."

    Rukus Graul is now dead. All remaining worgs flee. Combat is over, initiative ends... (unless the party chooses to give chase).
    Avatar by the awesome Strawberries.

    MINE:
    Spoiler
    Show
    RotRL: Burnt Offerings IC - COMPLETED
    RotRL: Skinsaw Murders IC I and II - COMPLETED
    RotRL: Hook Mountain Massacre IC and OOC

    Seraphina "Red" Allin, fighter-rogue of double kukri slicey death

  10. - Top - End - #250
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    jamieth's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Hook Mountain Massacre IC

    Naya

    Naya stares at the half-ogre throwing horrible words at Setsuna, ready to rush to protect the tiefling should the threat break her - and then, with a mix of terror and amazement, witnesses the Tian princess retaliate with incredible force, blending her blade and her magic together. That sight makes her miss the approaching worg entirely - but at the last moment, tomb... explorer's instincts kick in, and the sylph momentarily dissolves her body into a whisk of air, beast's jaws not even managing to scratch her . Before she can retaliate, the worgs, demoralized by the death of their master, turn to flee, and Naya sighs in relief; the beasts are, after all, just beasts, even if they run away, they can't...

    At that moment, something finally clicks in her head. "Worgs!" she calls out to her companions, "They can talk, if we let them flee, they can warn other ogres!" and, setting an example, shoots a pair of thin lightning charges into the fleeing creature.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Lightning Ray at W6 (if still within 40 feet):
    Ray 1: attack (1d20+8)[14] vs. touch , damage (4d6)[14] electricity
    Ray 2: attack (1d20+8)[26] vs. touch , damage (4d6)[13] electricity
    Tome of Radiance, a Magical Girl sourcebook for 3.5/PF.

    "Jamie" is fine. TH is mostly there to make sure the name would be free on any forum I'd want to register :-)

    Extended signature

  11. - Top - End - #251
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Denial

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Hook Mountain Massacre IC

    GM post

    Worg 3

    Having narrowly escaped being trapped by the ogrekin's body as it'd fell, the nearest worg needs no further encouragement to leave. Without a master to give it instructions and one pack-mate already beheaded, it is plain that its own survival stands most tenuously indeed. With nary a whimper and its tail tucked between its legs, the worg turns and scampers back down the trail from whence it'd came.

    Worg 3 has left combat. It is now outside combat map boundaries but may still be chased down.

    *****

    Vale and Naya

    Spoiler
    Show
    Move to G11
    Attack: (1d20+10)[19]
    Damage: (1d6+7)[11]

    Naya takes 5 foot step to I10


    Naya casts Lightning Ray.

    "Yes'm!"

    Firsthand witness of Setsuna's battle prowess seems to have quashed any doubts that Vale had about the sincerity of your group. In obedience to Naya's warning, the ranger hobbles as fast as he can towards the worg that had recently tried to savage the young sylph.

    "Hey, ugly! Where yer going so fast, huh?" For a man weakened by confinement, Vale moves with astonishing speed and power, using Rico's borrowed axe to catch the worg at the flank and chop into its hind leg with such force that Naya can hear the sound of bone splintering. From there, the lamed worg makes easy prey - two precision blasts of lightning that zing past Vale's ear jolt and electrocute the beast in its own grisly hide, leaving only a crumpled corpse.

    *****

    Initiative Order:
    24 - Brin
    24 - Red
    24 - Worg 4
    21 - Shalelu
    17 - Setsuna - shaken
    17 - Worg 3 - dazzled (unless chased down)
    17 - Vale
    16 - Naya
    > 15 - Rico
    14 - Worg 5 - dazzled
    12 - Worg 1


    It is now Rico's turn.


    *****

    Combat Map
    Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by maggie_mcknife; 2017-04-08 at 06:26 AM.
    Avatar by the awesome Strawberries.

    MINE:
    Spoiler
    Show
    RotRL: Burnt Offerings IC - COMPLETED
    RotRL: Skinsaw Murders IC I and II - COMPLETED
    RotRL: Hook Mountain Massacre IC and OOC

    Seraphina "Red" Allin, fighter-rogue of double kukri slicey death

  12. - Top - End - #252
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Miraqariftsky's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Stormwracked verdant hive
    Gender
    Male2Female

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Hook Mountain Massacre IC

    Rico, Charging
    Mage Armour'd
    Rage I 1/10
    HP 56/56
    AC 19/22


    Bile rises in Rico's throat, both at their foe's vile threats, and what he actually does. She groans, then blurts in a rush, "Charges of Public Indecency, Sexual Harassment, verdict is GUIL---"

    "---ty."


    Seeing Setsuna rush in and literally explode the enemy, Rico ducks, catching the still-steaming grist shreds upon her helm's wide brim. Snorting, she tosses a nod at Vale, shrugs and says, "That's Setsuna fer ye. Just... DUZZIT."

    For a moment, she grimaces, then chokes down the twinge against having to stab fleeing foes in the back. Then again, this is war, or close enough.

    Levelling her spear, at one of the fleeing worgs, the one closer to Red, she charges down the copse. Anticipating its jinking, she sights down at where it would be in the next beat and thrusts.

    Spoiler
    Show

    Charge, occupy K7.

    Target, Worg1.
    (1d20+15)[34]
    +7 BAB +7 Str +1 Weapon +2 Charge -2 Power Attack
    (1d8+17)[23]
    +1 Weapon +10 Str +6 Power Attack

    (Str bonus to damage is currently 10.5. It's round DOWN, right?)

    Target, whichever of those two moves first
    AoO!
    (1d20+17)[18]
    (1d8+11)[17]
    Avatarcred: HELL YEAH to THE Oneris! Ma'am, thank you, ma'am.
    Previous Avatars: by Dr Bath, Strawberries, zimmerwald1915

  13. - Top - End - #253
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Denial

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Hook Mountain Massacre IC

    GM post

    Rico


    Rico takes out the worg closest to Red with a single swift jab through the skull, mashing blood and brains to the chilling crack of splintering bone as she thrusts and twists, the worg struggling on the end of her spear like a flopping fish.

    The sight of its packmate thus incapacitated does little to encourage the remaining worg to stay. With a piteous whine, it turns tail to flee, only to be snagged itself as the half-orc rips her lance free of its grisly casement and turns for the next victim.

    As she grunts and shoves the spear even deeper into the dying worg for good measure, Rico espies a broken arrow shaft protruding from the creature's hindquarters - this must have been the same worg that they'd discovered guarding Vale just now, that Shalelu had shot at. So much for mercy then. Or reasoning with intelligent beasts.

    Worg 1 and 5 are now dead.

    *****

    GM-bot: Brin (since player has not posted)

    Spoiler
    Show
    Brin-bot
    Attack: (1d20+10)[25], Damage: (1d8+2)[10] and (1d6)[1]
    Attack: (1d20+8)[26], Damage: (1d8+2)[8] and (1d6)[6]


    With only a single enemy left to deal with, Brin elects for economy of action. With a brief shout of warning to alert Shalelu (since it would hardly do to nip the younger elf in the rump with an arrow), she sends two arrows winging towards the worg at Shalelu's feet. The first arrow strikes the worg in the eye, extinguishing its menacing red glow. The second drives deep into the chest of the mangy beast, delivering a speedy quietus that was perhaps quite undeserved.

    Worg 5 is now dead.
    Combat is over, initiative ends.


    *****

    In the sudden stillness after battle, Vale blinks down at the worg he'd just killed. He then mops his brow with his bloodied fingers and looks around in vague wonder at the rest of you, muttering a string of vulgarities reverently under his breath.

    "-Iomedae's shining tits. You lot ain't joking 'round, that's for sure. Those Grauls are in for a smashing treat. An' maybe we'll manage to save captain and some of the others after all."

    On the other side of the trail, Shalelu lifts her boot from the worg's body, her face regretful even as she nods her silent thanks to Brin. "One got away. It is a pity we could not have saved one of the wretches for questioning - there is much we might have learned. Setsuna, are you feeling all right?"

    For those who search the ogrekin's mangled corpse, you find:
    • Spear - roll Detect Magic check
    • Leather Belt - roll Detect Magic check
    • Tatty flea-infested human-hide cape - all who examine the corpse, roll Fort DC 12 to avoid picking up itchy skin condition that will last until you next bathe.
    Avatar by the awesome Strawberries.

    MINE:
    Spoiler
    Show
    RotRL: Burnt Offerings IC - COMPLETED
    RotRL: Skinsaw Murders IC I and II - COMPLETED
    RotRL: Hook Mountain Massacre IC and OOC

    Seraphina "Red" Allin, fighter-rogue of double kukri slicey death

  14. - Top - End - #254
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    jamieth's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Hook Mountain Massacre IC

    Naya

    With the immediate threat over, Naya's grave... explorer instincts kick in, and she chants the very familiar spell, trying to determine whether anything of Graul's equipment might have traces of magic in it - it certainly isn't worth much as objects of art, judging by appearance...

    Spoiler
    Show
    Spellcraft on spear: (1d20+12)[32]
    On belt: (1d20+12)[32]
    Fort save: (1d20+2)[22]
    Tome of Radiance, a Magical Girl sourcebook for 3.5/PF.

    "Jamie" is fine. TH is mostly there to make sure the name would be free on any forum I'd want to register :-)

    Extended signature

  15. - Top - End - #255
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    jamieth's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Hook Mountain Massacre IC

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Double-posting to avoid editing the previous post. It should be left as is...

    There certainly are magical signatures at the half-giant, but his cloak obscures the vision, and Naya, overcoming her disgust, pulls the item of clothing away; the very act of touching it makes her think of a nice hot bath... or a cold bath... or even a cold shower, or the furious mountain stream they recently crossed, even that looks attractive now - but at least, iot reveals both the Graul's belt and his spear, two items that bear signs of magic...
    Tome of Radiance, a Magical Girl sourcebook for 3.5/PF.

    "Jamie" is fine. TH is mostly there to make sure the name would be free on any forum I'd want to register :-)

    Extended signature

  16. - Top - End - #256
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2010

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Hook Mountain Massacre IC

    Setsuna

    As the battle was concluded, Setsuna, whose eyes were still wide with fear, found herself breathing far more heavily than she normally would be after such little exertion, and hadn't moved from where she'd nearly split the ogre in twain, black blood dying her hair and skin. When Shalelu speaks up, she moves with a start, taking up a defensive posture in her direction on instinct before blinking and seeing who it was. Finally she slows her breathing and takes stock of the situation again, realizing that the threats were all slain and slowly nods her head, though when she speaks, her voice isn't as steady as usual. "I...I am fine. I just..." Shivering, she shakes her head, trying to chase off the thoughts hounding her imagination, "I just need a moment...to clear my head..."

    It's only then that she belatedly realizes how drenched in blood and entrails she is, "Is there a stream near us?" Cleaning away the blood was a simple enough incantation, but it did nothing for one's peace of mind compared to properly washing off.
    Lilith Avatar by AsteriskAmp

    Other Character Avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

    . . . . . .
    Setsuna by Kymme | Desril by Wolfshonor | Eruvia (no background) by Oneris

  17. - Top - End - #257
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    jamieth's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Hook Mountain Massacre IC

    Quote Originally Posted by Desril View Post
    Setsuna

    As the battle was concluded, Setsuna, whose eyes were still wide with fear, found herself breathing far more heavily than she normally would be after such little exertion, and hadn't moved from where she'd nearly split the ogre in twain, black blood dying her hair and skin. When Shalelu speaks up, she moves with a start, taking up a defensive posture in her direction on instinct before blinking and seeing who it was. Finally she slows her breathing and takes stock of the situation again, realizing that the threats were all slain and slowly nods her head, though when she speaks, her voice isn't as steady as usual. "I...I am fine. I just..." Shivering, she shakes her head, trying to chase off the thoughts hounding her imagination, "I just need a moment...to clear my head..."

    It's only then that she belatedly realizes how drenched in blood and entrails she is, "Is there a stream near us?" Cleaning away the blood was a simple enough incantation, but it did nothing for one's peace of mind compared to properly washing off.

    Naya

    "There is that river we crossed, but, miss Setsuna", the sylph shakes her head, "You know I love a good bath myself, but it is much too fast and strong to swim... nor do we have time right now... I'm sorry, but we'll have to do with a spell right now, and leave a proper bath for when it's over - and hope this time, we'll do without any thieves... it's fun remembering that little adventure now", she smiles, "but back at the time, I was really worried about my gear."
    Tome of Radiance, a Magical Girl sourcebook for 3.5/PF.

    "Jamie" is fine. TH is mostly there to make sure the name would be free on any forum I'd want to register :-)

    Extended signature

  18. - Top - End - #258
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Denial

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Hook Mountain Massacre IC

    GM post

    Naya identifies that the ogrekin was holding a +1 spear and a Belt of Giant Strength +2.

    Shalelu gazes steadily at Setsuna for a few seconds before making a firm shake of the head, though it seems to the tiefling for a moment that her eyes are filled with an odd, almost pitying light. "Naya is correct. There is the Skull River that we had come from, but we do not have the time to skirt back. Especially if we are to save what is left of these Black Arrows. I'm sorry. Do the best you can now, but we must be on our way and fast."

    Meanwhile, behind Setsuna, Vale has scurried over to the ogrekin's corpse and is peering anxiously at the hideous cape sewn of human skin. Sucking in his cheeks, he gingerly prods at it, using the tip of Rico's borrowed axe to spread the creased leather out for better viewing.

    "Welp. Least none of these poor sods look like my patrol mates," he mutters grimly, stepping back and scrabbling absent-mindedly at the bare skin on his arm. As he does so, Vale grimaces as he happens to catch sight of what remains of the firepelt cougar that the ogrekin has been using as a shield - that is to say, not very much. For following its inadvertent soaking in Rico's potent acid bomb, the firepelt's body is a nauseating half-melted mangled mess of fur and bone.

    "Lordy. I sure hope that kitty wasn't the captain's. Jak's companion - old Kibbs. She'd managed to give those halfbloods the slip when we were first caught. Would be a pissing shame if they'd caught up with her after all these weeks - looks like this one was tortured properly before they got her."

    *****

    Red

    Breathing out quietly as her heartbeat slows, Red snatches at a nearby tussock and mechanically wipes off the worst of the worg blood on her blades, quite heedless of the gore splattered on her face and clothes. No point cleaning those now - they'd only get dirty again before the day was out, if the slaughter of the past few minutes was any indication.

    Sheathing her blades, Red spares the time to give Rico a playful punch on the arm before turning her attention to the rest of the group. Her stomach clenches at the sight of what Vale had once been some sort of big cat, as does her fist. Damn those bigfolk. Damn them. If this was how they treated mere animals, then what on earth would they do to people? That bigfolk had threatened to rape Setsuna. It sure hadn't sounded like something he was just saying for fun...

    Red glances over at the tiefling and narrows her eyes, the corner of her mouth pulled tight in unease. She still didn't quite want to talk to Setsuna. But Rathi had taught her to be better than that. There was a time and a place for feelings like that and now wasn't either one.

    "Here." She holds out her waterskin to the tiefling, her voice barely rising above a whisper even as she looks away.
    Avatar by the awesome Strawberries.

    MINE:
    Spoiler
    Show
    RotRL: Burnt Offerings IC - COMPLETED
    RotRL: Skinsaw Murders IC I and II - COMPLETED
    RotRL: Hook Mountain Massacre IC and OOC

    Seraphina "Red" Allin, fighter-rogue of double kukri slicey death

  19. - Top - End - #259
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2010

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Hook Mountain Massacre IC

    Setsuna

    Turning to Red, still not entirely aware of why the little human seemed to not want to be around her today, Setsuna gratefully takes the waterskin, whispering a quiet "Thank you," to Red before promptly using half of its contents to wash away the blood and viscera and clear her head a little before reciting the incantation to clean the rest of it up. Unfortunately, it's just water and not something more alcoholic, but the tiefling takes a swig anyway before handing the waterskin back to Red and finally turning her attention to everything that'd happened since the ogre died.

    Turning to the slain firepelt cougar, Setsuna frowns in Rico's direction before speaking up. "If it was your captain's, we should take the body with us...he will be able to tell us if it is, and it is not my area, but I believe raising animals is more easily done than other creatures..."

    Whatever is done, however, it's clear from the tiefling's twitchy movements, impatient foot tapping, and inability to stand still for more than a few seconds that she's eager to be gone from this place.

    Spoiler
    Show

    Prestidigitation to clean up.

    No opinion on the loot.
    Lilith Avatar by AsteriskAmp

    Other Character Avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

    . . . . . .
    Setsuna by Kymme | Desril by Wolfshonor | Eruvia (no background) by Oneris

  20. - Top - End - #260
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Miraqariftsky's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Stormwracked verdant hive
    Gender
    Male2Female

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Hook Mountain Massacre IC

    "Arright, good job, y'all."

    Setting her spear aside
    From its sheath, the sword does glide
    Beheads the warg corpses that among them lie
    Then kicks them towards Brin's feet, from rites not to shy

    "...Sorry. Y'know. Just in case. Or do ya want me ta go ahead an' get rid o' them?"

    Chancing on Setsuna already supported by Red,
    She nods approvingly, nothing said
    Neither time nor place to fall apart
    A rag towards Setsuna does dart...
    ...then takes it back
    On seeing she already did hack
    The problem away
    With a little prestidigitatory play.

    If you had THAT kind of magick in the first place, why take somebody else's damn water? And ye used it ALL?

    Rape target an' gore explosion get ye a pass this once, Hellgirl. Wot these giants did, an' DO, that's undoubtedly GUILTY an' horrible...
    ... but ye still gots some scales ye need ta balance an' scores ta square off.


    For a moment she stares, befuddled
    Understanding of magical matters still mundanely muddled
    Brows rise, eyes wide, jaw agape
    Still holds her tongue, as thoughts struggle to take shape.

    The growling grin she cannot hide
    At Vale, of her comrades, with pride
    Then winces, fading fast, at the mention of the cat
    Poor thing, so toyed, so butchered, shamefully slain.

    "Wot da hell. Agh. Damned friggin' shame. At... at least... it's... she's outta her misery?"
    Avatarcred: HELL YEAH to THE Oneris! Ma'am, thank you, ma'am.
    Previous Avatars: by Dr Bath, Strawberries, zimmerwald1915

  21. - Top - End - #261
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Denial

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Hook Mountain Massacre IC

    GM post

    Naya takes the loot.

    Vale tightens his mouth in unease at Setsuna's mention of raising the dead, even as Shalelu pricks up her ears and glances over with obvious interest. "Eh. I ain't sure the captain would want that... He's pretty big on letting the dead stay as they are, not messing with the schedule of the Pale Lady down below. Natural cycles, returning to earth and such. If this one's Kibbs, I'm sure he'd want to give her a proper burial like. Um." Sensing Shalelu's gaze on his neck, Vale awkwardly pats the back of his bald head and turns to try a nervous smile at the elf. "Should we take this one with us then, ma'am?"

    "No. It is a pity, but leave her for now. We may return later to do her body the honours- and to properly cleanse the earth of this ogrekin filth. There are lives to save for now." Shalelu peers at the bite wound on her leg - still seeping blood. Dipping into her pack, she tugs out a thin strip of cloth and begins to wind it about her thigh. "How many more of these misbegats are there and what do you know of them?"

    "There's at least four of 'em 'sides this split bastard here who came in to poke and peer at us. Horrors to look at, the lot of 'em. One's got three arms 'stead of two, one's 'most as tall as a bear, one's short - like with dwarf legs or something. And there's one they call by name of "Hucker"... he's a brawny one. Got this shrivelled thing on the back of his fat neck what looks like a dried up baby. He'd come in and point out me mates with his hook, and he'd... he'd d-drag them away..." Vale rubs at his eyes and growls softly under his breath, breaking off into a muttered litany of swearing as he does his best to stop himself from shivering.

    Shalelu, on the other hand, is inexorable in her questioning. Her voice is knife-sharp as she presses Vale. "What about their dam? Father Maelin Shreed mentioned there was a female among them."

    Coughing hoarsely, the ranger requires several deep breathes before he is able to continue. As he speaks, his voice wavers, sweat breaking on his brow. "I never saw... no female among them. I mean, the ones that we fought were all male and they acted like... Hnh. Once they'd gotten us... well. Leanne and Cass. They were my friends... I wanna say that at least they died first. Bastards cut their throats once they were done... But godsdammit. That ain't no way for no woman to go... not like that." For the first time, Vale's eyes shine with tears as he buries his face in his palms, his shoulder shaking as he weeps.

    *****

    At the end of the dirt trail that Vale has been leading you along is a forest clearing, in which squats a sickly-looking farm - the ogrekin stronghold that Vale claims was his prison for the past weeks. From where you stand, just behind a bend in the trail, you can see two sagging buildings: a farmhouse to the left and a barn to the right, just behind a tangled, overgrown cornfield. Both decrepit structures have their windows boarded over, their sides black with moss.

    "That's where they kept us." His eyes still reddened and sore, Vale points out the barn behind the cornfield. "Was just me and the captain and two others left, when they took me away. Dunno if they'd be in there though. Someone was always being taken away every couple days."

    Only a few paces away from where you stand, a bristly cornhusk-and-leather fetish dangles sadly from the nearest tree. Given that the one Graul you've encountered so far was wearing a human hide cape, it is perhaps best not to speculate what exactly this fetish is made out of.

    *****

    Map
    Spoiler
    Show
    Avatar by the awesome Strawberries.

    MINE:
    Spoiler
    Show
    RotRL: Burnt Offerings IC - COMPLETED
    RotRL: Skinsaw Murders IC I and II - COMPLETED
    RotRL: Hook Mountain Massacre IC and OOC

    Seraphina "Red" Allin, fighter-rogue of double kukri slicey death

  22. - Top - End - #262
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    jamieth's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Hook Mountain Massacre IC

    Naya

    "Honestly, I want to just burn this farm down", Naya says in a very uncharacteristic burst of violence, triggered by Graul's earlier treatment of Setsuna and Vale's story, "These beasts don't deserve any better. But... we can't do that, as long as there's any chance prisoners are still alive. So... we need a scout. It will be dangerous, but... Miss Red, You're the best of us at stealth - if I make you invisible, could you sneak into that barn and check? If there's anyone alive... give us a signal? Anything that won't break a spell... can't thnik of anything... I think I'm too used to Lady Kaylee's telepathy... anyway, once you give a signal, we'll distract the Grauls... somehow, so you'll have a chance to untie the prisoners... heal them if needed..."
    Tome of Radiance, a Magical Girl sourcebook for 3.5/PF.

    "Jamie" is fine. TH is mostly there to make sure the name would be free on any forum I'd want to register :-)

    Extended signature

  23. - Top - End - #263
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2011

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Hook Mountain Massacre IC

    Squeamishness didn't long survive service to the Lady of Graves, so Brin patiently waits for Setsuna to kindly offer to magically clean the splattering of blood and offal from her leggings, armor, cloak, hair. Really, the fine mist that was a rather misbegotten biped just a moment ago had gotten damn near to everywhere. She loads her pipe and, with a muttered prayer and a snap of her fingers, lights the thing to cover the stink of the dead ogrekin's split guts with the spicy aroma of fine Kelish loose-cut leaves.

    Finally, after the ninth or tenth puff, her patience runs out.

    "Wait...they have size and the advantage of fighting on their home turf, and you want us to split up so they can pick us off one by one."
    Brin's non-pipe hand waves at the bloody mess of her clothing. "Look what happens when we fight together. Split us up and Red might end up dying their leathers." She shakes her head. "No. If these Grawls are all as dumb and cruel as this one one, then we can use it against them. If they're bold enough to attack Lure 'em out with bait they can't say no to. Like...I don't know, some callow lass lost in the woods and injured, shouting up a storm for help." She glances at Setsuna and Naya. "One 'o you just get into earshot of the compound and howl like you got a sprained ankle or something. That will bring one of them, at least. Maybe one that can answer questions."

    She glances back down at her filthy wardrobe, then the cloak of skins, and grins wickedly. "Don't wash off the blood quite yet. It will sell the ruse. Then we let Vale here figure out what he wants to do with whichever ones we take alive."
    Take a deep breath.
    Take a step back.
    And wonder how you can make it funnier.
    -Ilorin Lorati

  24. - Top - End - #264
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    jamieth's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Hook Mountain Massacre IC

    Naya

    "I'm not asking for Miss Red to fight on her own", sylph shakes her head, "That's exactly what I was proposing - that we try luring them away, and meanwhile, Miss Red tries to get the prisoners away... for that matter, we have a cloak", she reaches into her relatively-bottomless bag and pulls out a teleporting cape, "it can carry four people... according to Mr. Vale, that should be enough for Miss Red to get everyone still alive..." Naya sighs uneasily.

    "Meanwhile, either me or Miss Setuna, we try to lure the Grauls outside and ambush them... I'm probably better aat escaping, but Miss Setsuna can stand her own in a fight much better - and I'm better at long range... but Miss Setsuna would need Mae to fight, and that might harm the helpless victim image..."

    "Anyway, Miss Setsuna, what do you think?"
    Last edited by jamieth; 2017-04-18 at 01:49 AM.
    Tome of Radiance, a Magical Girl sourcebook for 3.5/PF.

    "Jamie" is fine. TH is mostly there to make sure the name would be free on any forum I'd want to register :-)

    Extended signature

  25. - Top - End - #265
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Miraqariftsky's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Stormwracked verdant hive
    Gender
    Male2Female

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Hook Mountain Massacre IC

    Why the hell aren't you just simple thieves or simple murderers? Rico groaned inwardly as she patted Vale's shoulder. Her hand darted towards her coat pocket, but stopped.

    For so sensitive and sombre a moment as that, was it a time for notes? She drew it out slowly, and willed her hand to write. The Watch is always vigilant...

    ...or tries to be.


    As he led the way, she followed stolidly behind, ready to catch if he were to fall.

    Upon arriving at the Graul holding, a brow rises in the shadow of her helm. This is a friggin' farmstead. Where's the gorram fortress? ARE you THIS stupid? Even GOBLINS have better strategic architecture'n ye lot.

    Arms crossed over her chest, she stares at the place. Ears prick and nostrils flare. She frowns deep at the GUILT laid bare upon the tree.

    Spoiler
    Show

    I know this is a longshot, but, worth a try?
    Are there any SIGHTS, SMELLS or SOUNDS that are off about this place? Stuff that aren't already covered by the "obvious" data supplied in the IC post's description.
    Perception
    (1d20+15)[24]


    "Ye frakkers talk too loud." Rico growls a harsh whisper at her companions. "They may be idjits, but it won't do ta assume they can't hear, or can't think 'nuff ta make traps an' border security stuff."

    "Arright. Brin, good idea... but can we risk it if they have their captives close 'nuff ta the outside, we engage one or two in an ambush, an' the others take it out on the hostages? Or if we happen ta toss a few shots that miss, an' then hit them buildings an' they're inside? Their lives're on our heads iffen 'at happens." she nods, then scowls and shakes her head.

    "Y'all best sneaky buggers. Red, Shalelu, Vale. Can y'all do a roundabout of the whole compound, see what's what? Report back here, soon as ye can. Whichever o' them buildings ye sees more likely ta have them hostages, we make that the main target. One part of us do the ruse like Brin said. Injured, vuln'rable, weepin' doe ruse. One or two shots to set a minor blaze on the OTHER building as a distraction, PILE on them frakkers in an ambush, take 'em out QUICK. While they see to putting out the fire, we hit the hostage-holdin' building, HARD. Pull 'em out to safety. Recover our breath, get what intel we can from the hostages, then hit 'em again. Setsuna on point, the rest of us focus fire one target at a time."

    She flashes a brief smirk and says, "Then again, I ain't yer boss. Up to ye. Do that, or ya got any other ideas?"
    Avatarcred: HELL YEAH to THE Oneris! Ma'am, thank you, ma'am.
    Previous Avatars: by Dr Bath, Strawberries, zimmerwald1915

  26. - Top - End - #266
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2010

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Hook Mountain Massacre IC

    Setsuna

    The tiefling frowns at Brin, canceling her spell before she can clean herself of the viscera from the first ogre. Unfortunately, the priestess was right, if distraction was going to be their plan this would help to sell it...and if the ogres recognized the blood as their own then they'd assume that's how she was injured, so she looks toward Naya, "I will be the bait to lure them out, you should wait with the others. I only need Maethilur hidden within arm's reach, we will be fine."

    Once she gets the signal to go, Setsuna heads off on her own, careful to keep within earshot of the compound and takes a moment to catch her breath. She knew that she could handle herself against the ogres, even the entire clan if she had to...but she was still unsettled by the threat the first one issued. For once though, it was to her advantage. Thinking on that threat made it easier to sound hurt and afraid...

    "AAAAAAAAH!" Hoping she wouldn't have too long to wait, the tiefling did her best to ignore the smell of the blood still coating her body as she knelt down by a tree, keeping Mae in her hand hidden under a bush, ready for a fight.

    Spoiler
    Show

    OK, baiting it is. But Brin owes Setsuna a drink for this. Bluff (1d20+2)[22] (+ whatever bonuses we can get for her being covered in blood )
    Lilith Avatar by AsteriskAmp

    Other Character Avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

    . . . . . .
    Setsuna by Kymme | Desril by Wolfshonor | Eruvia (no background) by Oneris

  27. - Top - End - #267
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    jamieth's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Hook Mountain Massacre IC

    Naya

    "Desna's luck to you, Miss Setsuna", naya nods before handing the cape to Red, "Miss Red, you remember how to use it, right? Just hold hands with those you want to transport, imagine the target and swing the cape... and good luck. One moment..." Naya quickly says the chant, and the rogue - together with the cape - vanishes from sight.
    Tome of Radiance, a Magical Girl sourcebook for 3.5/PF.

    "Jamie" is fine. TH is mostly there to make sure the name would be free on any forum I'd want to register :-)

    Extended signature

  28. - Top - End - #268
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Denial

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Hook Mountain Massacre IC

    GM post

    Rico's Perception check

    Spoiler
    Show
    Even as you whisper urgently at the others, your nose twitches as you catch the scent of rotting meat on the wind. Your eyes wander towards the cornfield, right towards where the stalks - tall enough to prevent even you from seeing over them - seem to be moving oddly. You're willing to bet your constable badge that there's another of those nasty ogrekin buggers squatting and biding his tme right there in the corn - only he hasn't made a move yet...


    Spoiler
    Show
    Sense Motive Hograth: (1d20+1)[21]
    Perception Hograth: (1d20+10)[20]
    Sense Motive Jeppo: (1d20+1)[17]
    Sense Motive Sugar: (1d20+1)[5]

    Stealth Crowfood: (1d20+11)[17]
    Sense Motive Crowfood: (1d20+1)[12]


    Setsuna's scream comes out far more shrill than she'd intended it to, piercing the heavy silence of the decrepit clearing. Those of you nearest to the tiefling involuntarily shudder as her cry reaches your ears. Perhaps it is the ring of genuine fear at the edge of her voice. Perhaps it is how the crudely stitched on thread eyes of the dangling fetish gaze sightlessly at the back of your necks. With that scream, you've announced your presence to the cannibalistic denizens of the awful farmhouse before you - but would they take the bait?

    Setsuna does not have to wait for long. Within seconds, the mouldering double door of the barn bang wide open, revealing an apish ogrekin with stunted legs who is barely taller than Red, cradling a wickedly jagged hook in one oversized paw and a dirty bottle in the other. Like his kin, he too is blubbery and clad in little more than a worn loincloth. For several long seconds, he stares stupidly at the tiefling, swaying on the spot, mouth foolishly gaping in obvious surprise and a muscle in his brutish neck twitching. Finally, he flashes a yellow cavity-filled grin before turning back to bawl into the barn.

    "Hah! I toldsjer! Das a hooman gyal! An' she's wantin' 'ar help, she des-"

    "Sharrup, wunt." A fist the size of a boulder smashes against the short ogrekin's jaw, causing him to yelp in pain. Another face materialises at the door - this time a good seven feet off the ground and with the jaw of its bald head dented in - glowering suspiciously at Setsuna. Scowling, its owner shoves his way through the door and stalks over towards the tiefling, dragging his own own massive hook, its curved blade rusted and stained with dark blood. This ogrekin, unlike the other, is rangy rather than fat, a string of what looks a lot like severed noses bouncing off the hide shirt covering his broad chest with each stride. He shows no fear as he approaches Setsuna, the extra vestigial arm at his elbow jiggling comedically even as his bloodshot eyes narrow. Without turning his head, he shouts at the shorter ogrekin who has left the shelter of the barn and trails behind him.

    "Idjet! Shees godda shord. An' das blud onna." Jabbing his hook in Setsuna's direction, the taller ogrekin snarls bear-like, grunting and wrinkling his stubby nose. "Hoo you? Whasshoo doin' he'?"

    Next to Brin, Vale nudges Rico and jerks his head meaningfully towards the two ogrekin in the clearing, mouthing the words - that's the guards.

    *****

    Red

    Spoiler
    Show
    Stealth check: (1d20+30)[43] (+20 with Invisibility while moving)
    Perception check: (1d20+12)[15]


    Red barely has time to object to the plan before Naya thrusts the cape at her and takes her hand and, well, makes her hand and the rest of her vanish from sight as it were. So much for just scouting. Finding and springing prisoners was going to be a lot harder. On the other hand, if Vale said they were just in that ratty building over there, then perhaps this wouldn't be so hard.

    Hooking the cape around her shoulders where she hoped it wouldn't get in the way, Red leaves the shelter of the dirt path and slinks towards the barn as fast as she dares. What was it that Chanda had always said... heels down first, roll your feet? Nearly stumbling as the first bigfolk slams open the door, she keeps to the hard trodden patches on the ground, well away from dead foliage and nodding cornstalks that might snag on the cape. It wasn't a pleasant thought - leaving the others to deal with those two bigfolk, but there was only so long before Naya's spell would run out and now wasn't the time for huddling and being afraid. Besides, the bigfolk had left the door of the barn open...

    Darting through the doors as the smaller of the bigfolk leaves, Red stifles a squeak of alarm as she nearly runs into yet a third bigfolk who hovers by the doors. Towering a good three feet over her, this ogrekin looks nearly human, his skin moon-pale and his overlarge milky-white eyes staring worriedly out the door after his kin. He fidgets uneasily with the wicked hook in his hand, picking at a sore on his belly with his other hand and fortunately, seemingly unaware of her presence.

    The barn reeks of animal piss and damp clothes. Behind the pale ogrekin, Red can see several mounds of moulding hay, packed in untidy bales around what looks like a large moonshine still with several half-empty bottles scattered around it. Two catwalks rise up along the walls, leading to doors near the ceiling, with another double door on ground level that has been boarded over with thick timbers.

    At the pale ogrekin's waist, a ring of tarnished copper keys jangles as he scratches his sore with vigour.

    *****

    Map
    Spoiler
    Show
    Avatar by the awesome Strawberries.

    MINE:
    Spoiler
    Show
    RotRL: Burnt Offerings IC - COMPLETED
    RotRL: Skinsaw Murders IC I and II - COMPLETED
    RotRL: Hook Mountain Massacre IC and OOC

    Seraphina "Red" Allin, fighter-rogue of double kukri slicey death

  29. - Top - End - #269
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2010

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Hook Mountain Massacre IC

    Setsuna

    Of all the ways she could have reacted, disgust, anger, fear...incredulous wasn't a feeling the tiefling had to mask, but it took an effort of will to continue to look hurt and afraid and not confused at how she could've possibly been mistaken for a human, forgetting briefly that the blood of the slain ogre was masking her marbled skin and that her lowered position likely hid her tail.

    Still, she recovers quickly, "No, no, not another one of you! I barely beat the last one! How many of you are there?!" Breathing heavily, doing everything she can to look weak and vulnerable, even placing a hand over her heart as if trying to keep it in her chest, Setsuna does her best to sell the act and sound as if she was winded and injured from the fight. And if she angered them into rushing her when they figure out where all the blood came from, all the better, since it would be a bigger distraction and leave them even more vulnerable. Her act was almost too convincing though, and the tiefling's heartbeat did start to increase as the ogres approached, at least until she tightened her grip on Maethilur and remembered how easily the one that issued the threat that had her shaking now had been dispatched. They're weak, there's nothing to fear, they can't hurt you.

    Spoiler
    Show

    Since it's the same bluff do I need to roll again? If so I will in the morning
    Lilith Avatar by AsteriskAmp

    Other Character Avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

    . . . . . .
    Setsuna by Kymme | Desril by Wolfshonor | Eruvia (no background) by Oneris

  30. - Top - End - #270
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Miraqariftsky's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Stormwracked verdant hive
    Gender
    Male2Female

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Hook Mountain Massacre IC

    Rico, Mage Armour'd*
    AC 24/22
    HP 56/56

    *(HAS an hour elapsed from the previous fight? If not, then that previous potion should still be good.)


    At the whiff of something rancid in the field, Rico rumbles in her throat. She shakes her head at Vale nearby, and jabs a hand toward the cornfield, mouthing, THIRD.

    She frowns at Setsuna's farce, eyes widening as the other ogrekin are apparently taken in. Snorting silently, she slowly hands Vale one of her remaining amphorae by its rope handle. In doing so, she lets her sling and pouch along on the lend. "I know it ain't a lot, but, so't ye got a little summin' else, eh?"

    Gently touching Brin, Shalelu and Naya's shoulders to get their attention, she swiftly outlines the plan. "Wait fer 'em ta get a liiiiittle closer, then... Concentrate fire on the thin ogre there. Also, mark y'all, somewhere in that there cornfield, there's a gorram SMART ogre lying in wait. Naya, iffen ye please, FLATTEN that field. If ya get 'im, good. If not, at least 'is cover's blown, an' the initiative's still ours."

    "Arright, y'all."
    Rico says, readying her other giant fire flask behind her shield. "On my signal, unleash hell."

    Spoiler
    Show

    Pass a sling and bullet pouch to Vale, along with the remaining barrel-of-boom. Hits for 12d4+8 and another 12d4+8 on the next round if they fail a Ref save DC 20. (The one in Rico's will be hitting for 12d4+10 from Ranger bonuses.)

    WAIT for Setsuna and her ogres to get a bit closer. If they DO get closer and we shoot first, Rico uses up her remaining Action by prepping a potion [Enlarge Person].

    OR, if they don't,
    CLOSE IN to 15 ft away.

    APUNTEN! FUEGO!
    (1d20+11)[16] (+1 from Throw Anything. +2 from Ranger Favoured Enemy: Giants.)
    (12d4+10)[40]
    (if they fail the Ref save)
    (12d4+10)[41] More Burn.
    Last edited by Miraqariftsky; 2017-04-27 at 11:11 AM.
    Avatarcred: HELL YEAH to THE Oneris! Ma'am, thank you, ma'am.
    Previous Avatars: by Dr Bath, Strawberries, zimmerwald1915

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •