Default Rage of Endless War OoC

Alright you nerds, this is the OoC chat for:
    Luccan (Lyle Larson)
    PeacefulOak (Alexis Darknamer)
    Foryn Gilnith (Alain Chartier)
    Jopustopin (Gryfhild Volundson)
    Kylelopezwms (Drake Thatcher)

and then 1-2 others, in case some can't make it

Anywho, some questions that I'd like to know about you and how each of you play:
    -What kinds of items (presumably outside of the big 6) would you like to see in treasure, magic item shoppes (no magic mart, presumably), etc, and what about the item is it that you like?
    -What kind of RP/themes do you like, as a player?
    -What kinds of combat scenarios do you like to play in as a player, and what kinds of combat scenarios are you suited to dealing with, as a character?
    -Would you rather the party come together in the beginning off-screen or RP it in-character?
    Spoiler: List of Things You Don't Need To Know
    Show
    Ew, Goaty make stinky homebrew
    Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    killing and eating a bag of rats is probably kosher.
    Gosh 2D8HP, you are so very correct (and also good looking), and your humility is stunning

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Rage of Endless War OoC

Heya everyone; I'm glad we can all be here. Just want to throw up my answers to Goaty's questions before I head to bed.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Goaty14 View Post
    What kinds of items (presumably outside of the big 6) would you like to see in treasure, magic item shoppes (no magic mart, presumably), etc, and what about the item is it that you like?
    Honestly, my favorite magic items are things like eternal wands, minor schemata, drow house insignia, and I guess by extension items like the healing belt? 3e is Caster Edition, after all, and there's a wide breadth of content we don't have easy access to without a wizard or druid... items that can provide some of the more interesting spell effects, in a context where the GM has by definition pre-vetted them, are probably what I'd like to see.

What kind of RP/themes do you like, as a player?
    I guess in terms of themes, my favorite part of roleplaying is when different characters (with different thoughts and characteristics) bounce off each other and expose their differences - however, I would really prefer that not be the explicit focus of the plot? Like, no matter what's happening in the game world, in the real world we as players will have pretty much the same amount of time per week to write roleplaying posts regardless... it's better, then, to keep the action moving - keep events and threats coming - so that we can show off our styles in pursuit of a common goal instead of risking butting heads and stalling.

What kinds of combat scenarios do you like to play in as a player, and what kinds of combat scenarios are you suited to dealing with, as a character?
    It's hard to answer that first question in a PbP context... fights that are heavy on status conditions and hindering terrain are easier to run when it's not in real-time, but those also tend to slow down combat when PbP combat is already slow, so who's to say. Honestly, it's probably not the case that there are any combat scenarios you specifically don't want to run that I specifically would like to see run, so I'm comfortable just leaving it to your judgment.
    As for combat roles, I was pretty much just intending to be a melee fighter, maybe throw some javelins if the situation really calls for it... I guess since Gryfhild's aura of vigor takes care of healing, I can shift the cleric spell slots into "battlefield control" like Ice Slick or Obscuring Mist, but I really do prefer to just DPS through problems and leave showing off exotic abilities to the monsters.

Would you rather the party come together in the beginning off-screen or RP it in-character?
    Given the pace of PbP I feel like people have to write a soft "re-introduction" post almost once a scene anyway to keep everyone's mental image fresh... IMO we might as well just talk it out OOC then start as a coherent group, though I don't feel too strongly about that point.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Nerd?! I resemble that comment. What's up guys, Jopustopin here playing the very attractive, Gryf.

Spoiler: Q&A
    Show

-What kinds of items (presumably outside of the big 6) would you like to see in treasure, magic item shoppes (no magic mart, presumably), etc, and what about the item is it that you like?
    I'm a big fan of the belt of magnificence. I like the name, it's sparkling appeal, it's elegant sense of fashion, and the way it makes me move. Also I'm usually playing something that needs everything. What's the big 6.... lol? I'm only half nerd.

My favorite theme is when the group is already united at the beginning of play. Whether it's by nation, race, or religion. I've played all in several such games and they usually are the best. In Eberron we played an all Cyre game where we're all childhood friends that survived. In another game we all played orcs who's tribe was decimated by a dragon and we were "pretending" to be adventurer's to get revenge. Hilarity ensued.

I'm a big fan of role playing and combat. And role playing during combat.

-What kinds of combat scenarios do you like to play in as a player, and what kinds of combat scenarios are you suited to dealing with, as a character?
    I really do like scenario's that make decisions harder for the group - I.E. do we spend our limited use of spells or abilities in this battle or is there something harder around the corner. Gryf is built to sustain a group through multiple battles per day.

-Would you rather the party come together in the beginning off-screen or RP it in-character?
    I'd rather the party come together in the beginning off-screen. Then we can all introduce ourselves and add things like, you've already noticed x, y, and z about his personality.

Spoiler: DM Request
    Show
    Really just a thematic request (Gryfhild isn't proficient with martial weapons, such as his own armor spikes), can Hellreaver provide martial weapon proficiency? I'd switch my main weapon to the heavy pick, Bahamut's favored weapon.
    Last edited by Jopustopin; 2019-11-13 at 05:01 AM.
    If I could play dungeons & dragons with only four books: MM I, DMG, PHB, & ToB
    Dragon Shaman Handbook. Fighter Fix.
    Camel's Handbook

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Jopustopin View Post
    What's the big 6.... lol? I'm only half nerd.
    The big 6 are a group of magic items that're usually considered necessary or highly wanted as players level. These are-
    -Magic Weapon
    -Magic Armor
    -Cloak of Resistance
    -Stat-Boosting Item(s)
    -Ring of Protection
    -Amulet of Natural Armor

In the end, these items are boring number-boosters (save for any cool enhancements you care to get on your weapon/armor). I'm interested in a solution that means these aren't given out/they're given out automatically/encounters are devalued such that they aren't necessary, but ultimately, I'm more interested in knowing what players want besides what I know that they want.

Spoiler: DM Request
    Show
    Really just a thematic request (Gryfhild isn't proficient with martial weapons, such as his own armor spikes), can Hellreaver provide martial weapon proficiency? I'd switch my main weapon to the heavy pick, Bahamut's favored weapon.
    Sure, doesn't sound like a problem to me.
    Show
    Gosh 2D8HP, you are so very correct (and also good looking), and your humility is stunning

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Hey!

Spoiler
    Show

1. I like magic items that aren't just flat bonuses. A cloak of protection is useful, a robe of useful items is interesting. I also like magic rings and the item sets from the MIC. Most of the time, I want a magic item to do something and ideally do it a lot.

2. I like RP that lets us explore our characters without necessarily getting in the way of our goals. Talking as we travel or camp for the night. Of course, I do like RP to have a chance to effect events and my character has a decent Bluff score and good Charisma for a reason.

3. I like fights that feel dangerous and take place in interesting environments. Empty rooms with nothing to interact with are boring. Lyle is geared toward BFCing, then rushing in while opponents are separated/unable to support each other.

4. RPing/figuring out how we came together is fun, but we should probably start as a group. So many games have been killed because getting to the action takes too long.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    All Roads Lead to Gnome.

I for one support the Gnoman Empire.

Spoiler: Build Contests
    Show

E6 Iron Chef XVI Shared First Place: Black Wing

E6 Iron Chef XXI Shared Second Place: The Shadow's Hand

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Alright you nerds, this is the OoC chat for:
    Luccan (Lyle Larson)
    PeacefulOak (Alexis Darknamer)
    Foryn Gilnith (Alain Chartier)
    Jopustopin (Gryfhild Volundson)
    Kylelopezwms (Drake Thatcher)

and then 1-2 others, in case some can't make it

Anywho, some questions that I'd like to know about you and how each of you play:
    Holy Carp I'm in good company in this game! Hello friends recent and long!

Spoiler: Answers for questions:
    Show
    Interesting and distinct items, definitely not the big 6. Strange and unusual (or rarely used) things such as an Apparatus of Kwalish.
    Hero stories, the struggle to do right in the wrong situations. Light in the darkness style games, whether that darkness is perceived or incredibly subtle. I tend to prefer low-magic settings, but that's just my cup of tea.
    I like a good blend of combat situations. Varied challenges, some easy, some hard. I like combats where evade/negotiate are necessary, fights where the options are lose or die can be really fun.
    I think us knowing each other pre-game can nip the "getting to know you" phase which can be murder to PbP. Starting "in media res" might be best.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Halfling in the Playground

BlackDragon

Hi, im here to answer the questions and stuff.

I dont have any expectations here. However i do like story heavy gameplay and odd items you dont see often. Everything else i dont have an opinion
    Spoiler is not working for some reason
    Last edited by kylelopezwms; 2019-11-13 at 07:11 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Well that's everybody! While I wonder if Kyle will get spoilers to work out, it seems that the party wants everybody to know each other beforehand (as do I). Perhaps now would be a good time to work out a basic idea of how the party met and how each character reacts to the others?
    Show

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Well since Belt of Magnificence is just static bonus's....... I usually try to find a way to get a banner of the storm's eye. When I'm the DM I like giving the full plate wearing character a ring of arming. I think that item is pretty cool in both utility and how it functions (it's morphing time!). Anklets of Translocation are always keen.

Proposed Backstory Idea for Consideration #1:

As the five strangers struggled to survive on the mysterious realm of Acheron all hope seemed lost. Surrounded by foes, both living and petitioner, the embattled heroes had no choice but to flee. It seemed that they had finally reached their end when, serendipitously, the party found themselves meeting up for the first time. With their backs to a wall Gryf gave each of them a knowing look and simply said, "Let's ****ing do this." Inspired, the five heroes ****ed the inhabitants of Acheron up. They all became fast friends after that and lived happily ever after.
    Last edited by Jopustopin; 2019-11-14 at 04:57 AM.
    Camel's Handbook

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Perhaps now would be a good time to work out a basic idea of how the party met and how each character reacts to the others?
    Hmm... if you're asking for reactions, Alain's impressions of the others would probably be something along the lines of:

Spoiler: Drake
    Show
    Seems like a real normal, real upstanding guy. Doesn't really look like he belongs on the front lines, though, even if he has militia experience... a couple months of basic would have done him some good. Failing that we'll probably have to find a way to break him in while leaving the pieces intact for re-assembly.

Spoiler: Lyle
    Show
    This man also seems like he doesn't belong on the front lines, though for an entirely different reason... he's keen enough to the ways of the world, I suppose, and certainly easy enough to talk to, but especially given his religious affiliation with a prankster vagabond god I don't know how deeply he can be trusted, or how long we'll share the same journey.

Spoiler: Gryfhild
    Show
    Clearly the most suitable leader for this group, though ironically its least intelligent member... on second thought, that's not ironic in the slightest. Anyway, I'm just ribbing, he's a great guy, very charming in a way I'm certainly not immune to; I hope he survives Acheron long enough to grow as strong as he deserves to be.

Spoiler: Alexis
    Show
    I know a city slicker when I see one, and I sure as hells see one in her... Has she ever been elbow deep in a bloody animal? Ever had to work frantically to fight against the coming winter? Does she even know how to swim? I will defer to her authority as a magician, and hope she defers to mine in turn, but I don't know if we can be any closer than that.

And as for the way we met, with a group as motley as this, Jop's idea seems as good as any... if we all just came into this plane at the same place at the same time, and were immediately set upon by enemies, it would make sense to join hands with whoever doesn't seem murderously aggressive. And then after that, inertia and time would suffice to build camaraderie. We can maybe discuss a little bit who those initial threats/enemies would or should have been - I always have a soft spot for fighting hobgoblins, myself - but that also seems like something Goaty might want to choose for easier integration into the first adventure arc.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

I'm alright with a start similar to the previously suggested, though I'm open to other ideas if people have them. I'll post Lyle's impressions of the others when I can
    Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    All Roads Lead to Gnome.

I for one support the Gnoman Empire.

Spoiler: Build Contests
    Show

E6 Iron Chef XVI Shared First Place: Black Wing

E6 Iron Chef XXI Shared Second Place: The Shadow's Hand

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Alright, sorry for the long time to get an IC thread up, but go ahead and start on that.

One last question: What things do you want to be roleplayed that're specific to your character, or aren't obvious to me? In the past I've had players who want to RP, say, setting up a campsite or praying to their deity (as a cleric). I'd like to make sure I don't mess up like that again.
    Show

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Is this done? Did we want to get alternates or just let it go?
    Camel's Handbook

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

I think I'll let it go.

Sorry guys.
    Show

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Alright, no problem. Thanks for taking the trouble to bring us all together, at least, even if it wasn't for long; hope we can play again in the future.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

I liked the character creation rules a lot. It gave me a lot to think about for trying to run my own E6 game.
    Camel's Handbook