New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default D&D and crusades

Hello! I'm not too familiar with D&D, so I wanted to ask a question about it. Generally, to start, I wanted to talk about real, historical, christian crusades:

- the first crusade was a huge and unexpected success. While there were religious skirmishes in the past, this one pretty much defined what people think when they hear "holy war". It established a strong foothold in the land it was targeted at.
    - the second crusade wasn't nearly as succesful, but reestablished the position of newly created Kingdom of Jerusalem in the holy land.
    - the third crusade was a massive success, at least when it came to the knight's response: it was bigger than any other before and after. The most important and most likely the one that people think when they think "a crusade".
    - the fourth crusade (aka "cursed" crusade) was the biggest failure of them all. Due to bad results of poor decisions during planning stages it was targeted at wrong people and all it's members were cursed.
    - the fifth crusade was certainly a lot better than the previous one (at least in design), but still didn't get too much following and ultimately didn't succeed.

So, my question is: is there a notable correlation between crusades and D&D editions?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Halfling in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Default Re: D&D and crusades

A few questions first:
    In your D&D campaign, would the player characters be crusaders, or would they be the ones being crusaded against?
    What would the crusade be against? Demons, Undead, Orcs, Humans with different religious beliefs?
    What kind of terrain obstacles might the crusaders have to get through?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by VienLa View Post
    So, my question is: is there a notable correlation between crusades and D&D editions?
    Forgotten Realms (2nd Ed), did a take on the crusades with the "Horse Lords" novels (tied in to the expansion of the same name), where the forces of the Realms banded together and "crusaded" against the encroching horde of the "mongol" styled horse lords.

There was also:

A 3rd party book about a crusade against a leigon of undead ("Lich Lords")
    The "Bloodstone" series of modules, which were not exactly "Crusade" material, but could be used as such.
    "Sleeping late might not be a virtue, but it sure aint no vice. The old saw about the early bird and the worm just goes to show that the worm should have stayed in bed."

- L. Long

I think, therefore I get really, really annoyed at people who won't.

"A plucky band of renegade short-order cooks fighting the Empire with the power of cheap, delicious food and a side order of whup-ass."

4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground

I guess there is abit of a similarity though time will tell on 5e.

Quote Originally Posted by AnBe View Post
    A few questions first:
    In your D&D campaign, would the player characters be crusaders, or would they be the ones being crusaded against?
    What would the crusade be against? Demons, Undead, Orcs, Humans with different religious beliefs?
    What kind of terrain obstacles might the crusaders have to get through?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutazoia View Post
    Forgotten Realms (2nd Ed), did a take on the crusades with the "Horse Lords" novels (tied in to the expansion of the same name), where the forces of the Realms banded together and "crusaded" against the encroching horde of the "mongol" styled horse lords.

There was also:

A 3rd party book about a crusade against a leigon of undead ("Lich Lords")
    The "Bloodstone" series of modules, which were not exactly "Crusade" material, but could be used as such.
    Uh... guys... did you read the opening post or just the title?
    Spoiler: Old Avatar by Aruius
    Show
    http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q56/Zeritho/Koboldbard.png

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

No. D&D was escapist fantasy. Avalon Hill wargames were for historical case studies.
    Empyreal Lord of the Elysian Realm of Well-Intentioned Fail

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Milo v3 View Post
    Uh... guys... did you read the opening post or just the title?
    Uh...yes.

Any correlation between any edition of D&D and the crusades would be found in specific settings or source material. Othewise you are just looking at a set of rules for rolling dice to determin a random outcome for hypothetical actions. You might as well be asking if there is a correlation between fliping a coin and the crusades.

EDIT:

To be fair, the only version of D&D that could possibly have any correlation to the crusades at all, was long before it was actually called Dungeons & Dragons. That would be "Chainmail", the wargame simulation for mini's, before it added individual (or hero) units (which later became the characters for the roleplaying game). But, again, those were just rules for generating random outcomes for hypothetical actions, just on a much larger (unit) scale.
    Last edited by Mutazoia; 2016-08-09 at 03:17 AM.
    "Sleeping late might not be a virtue, but it sure aint no vice. The old saw about the early bird and the worm just goes to show that the worm should have stayed in bed."

- L. Long

I think, therefore I get really, really annoyed at people who won't.

"A plucky band of renegade short-order cooks fighting the Empire with the power of cheap, delicious food and a side order of whup-ass."

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

If DnD editions are crusades, what is Pathfinder?
    Quote Originally Posted by Oko and Qailee View Post
    Man, I like this tiefling.
    For all of your completely and utterly honest needs. Zaydos made, Tiefling approved.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

So I guess, Crusades and D&D editions were mostly haphazard, chaotic enterprises made by rather small groups people driven by various mixes of zeal, wanderlust, dreams of owning land, greed, bloodlust etc. which were surprisingly successful, but ultimately doomed to die.

While Venetian and Genoese merchants secured all the long time profits.

The question is who are the Venetian merchants of D&D?
    Last edited by Spiryt; 2016-08-09 at 03:22 AM.
    The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing;
    Rush in and die, dogs—I was a man before I was a king.

Whoever makes shoddy beer, shall be thrown into manure - town law from Gdańsk, XIth century.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Spiryt View Post
    The question is who are the Venetian merchants of D&D?
    ...The owners of Doritos and Mountain Dew, I'm guessing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oko and Qailee View Post
    Man, I like this tiefling.
    For all of your completely and utterly honest needs. Zaydos made, Tiefling approved.

10. - Top - End - #10

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    The Baltic crusade

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by mig el pig View Post
    The Baltic crusade
    I was going to say the Albigensian Crusade.

12. - Top - End - #12

Chimera

Same idea, diffrent direction.

Albigensian Crusade was probably a better fit since it was a internal rather then an external conflict.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by VienLa View Post
    Hello! I'm not too familiar with D&D, so I wanted to ask a question about it. Generally, to start, I wanted to talk about real, historical, christian crusades:

- the first crusade was a huge and unexpected success. While there were religious skirmishes in the past, this one pretty much defined what people think when they hear "holy war". It established a strong foothold in the land it was targeted at.

They also repeatedly raided Hungarian cities on the way, did enough damage that the Byzantine Emperor basically kicked them out, conquered several kingdoms that were nowhere near the target, didn't return any of the Byzantine land that was the original cause and of course one contingent went entirely off-course and marched around Germany rioting and occasionally besieging cities instead.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

14. - Top - End - #14
    Colossus in the Playground

...The owners of Doritos and Mountain Dew, I'm guessing.
    I would have gone with someone like Green Ronin or Mongoose who published books under the OGL.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

2e had a historical campaign supplement called "The Crusades". That's the closest you'll get.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

MindFlayer

Are you asking if there is a correlation between the success of an edition of D&D and the success of the crusade with the corresponding number?

Possibly mildly, but not sure what you are trying to prove?

So there is bound to be some correlation due to the structure of the enterprises. Do something, have enough success to keep doing it 4 more times implies that at least the first couple have to be pretty strong. If we consider viable runs of strong and weak editions/crusades - perhaps with the criterion that they will stop if the failures/weak editions ever outnumber the successes and we consider only those strings of editions/crusades that are 5 items long then the chances of a correlation by chance are pretty high (crude calculation using Catalan numbers).

Also, if you map edition 3.5 to the 4th crusade and 3 to the third crusade then the pattern kind of goes.

Finally, 5th edition seems to be doing pretty well. Popular if not a huge revenue stream - further splat/content may make the revenue stream better - maybe revisit it when 6th comes out.

17. - Top - End - #17

SamuraiGuy

The mongol invasion

18. - Top - End - #18

Quote Originally Posted by MrStabby View Post
    Finally, 5th edition seems to be doing pretty well. Popular if not a huge revenue stream - further splat/content may make the revenue stream better - maybe revisit it when 6th comes out.
    It's almost 3 AM and I absolutely read this at first as waiting for the 6th Crusade to happen to revisit the topic, rather than the far more likely intended meaning of waiting for the 6th Edition to get accurate success figures on the 5th Edition.