Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default The Dragon Master: Magic 101 {OOC}

Durzan Presents...
    The Dragon Master
    OOC Thread

Two Races, Two Realms, One World…

That is a truth that we must not forget. Draconia and Illnora are connected; what happens to one, will affect the other. How do we know this? Once long ago, we dragons used to come from your world, little humans. And we were once like you. So foolish and prideful. In fact, we were worse.
    Yes, there was a time we Dragons used to wield magic. In those days, we had an insatiable thirst for knowledge, so the First Empire had gathered vast stores of it, but our lust for it was unending. We had no rules, no control, no limits; our curiosity and vanity fueled us. We had so much to offer the world, but because of our faults, we lost it all; in our pride and arrogance we delved too deep, and through our folly the world was shattered, by tapping into an energy source that should’ve remained undiscovered; the Void, it shattered this world, and us with it. We called it the Cataclysm: The seas boiled and over flowed, the land cracked and split, and the very face of the land was changed. Our great nation fell, and the survivors were banished by your beloved gods from the fabric of reality. Such is what happens when you tap into forces that you have no hope of comprehending; the chaotic forces of the Void. In time, we recovered, but now we are but a shadow of our former selves… Our connection to magic, twisted and corrupted by the fiendish energies of the Void. Our ancient cities, now in ruins. Our collection of knowledge, destroyed and forgotten. For eons we have dwelled in the shattered world of Draconica, for many years we have survived… but never have we even come close to reclaiming what we lost so long ago.
    And yet, you Humans have achieved in mere centuries what took us thousands of years to build up, and in an instant was shattered. While we stagnated and fell, you have rose up, and have clearly surpassed us in magical talent. Because of the tenacity of your race, little human, your gods decided to help you, to prepare you for the inevitable day when the Void will seek to consume this world once again. Although your gods manages to patch the breach, a it was just a temporary fix, they did not have the power nor knowledge to fix that which was once unbreakable. So in time, the Void will break through again, and a Second Cataclysm will ravage Illnora.
    Your gods have given you much power and knowledge. But now that they are gone… you have begun to step away from their teachings of restraint and preparation; be warned, little humans, your gods were wise to advise restraint. Now that they have left you… will you make the same mistakes we did?

Premise: In this freeform roleplay you will take on the role of a young dragon who has been summoned by the most talented Dragon Master of all-time, Bairn. As you work with Bairn and the other dragons, you will be given various tasks to help lay the groundwork for the reestablishment of the ancient treaty between man and Dragon. As the story progresses, you will also uncover more information about the mysterious world of Illnora and its draconic counterpart, Draconia.
    To be clear, Bairn is an integral part of the story: he is not just a Dragon Master, he will also a teacher and mentor to your character. Young dragons tend to be brash, independent, and prideful. Of course, as a teacher, Bairn tends to look down on such character traits, so he will do all that he can to humble your characters, teach them to think in creative manners before acting, and generally encourages teamwork. Bairn is kindly but firm with his students; with that being said, he has a knack for being a bit of a trickster mentor, often subjecting his students (particularly the more prideful dragons) to seemingly pointless tests that fit to his sense of humor. Many a student has ended up being the butt of one of his convoluted jokes. You have been warned. As part of his ambitions, he will attempt to train your character in the use of magic, a feat that most dragons have long thought to be impossible since the Great Cataclysm occurred over 5,000 years previously. Bairn has the theory that a dragon in human form could possibly learn and use magic.
    Of course, this story would hardly be interesting if there wasn’t any opposition. Human society is stubborn, and there are many groups who prefer the status quo. Many groups will seek to sabotage Bairn’s efforts, particularly the extremist group known as the Knights of Rhorda, who has sought to oppose Bairn at every turn, even going so far as to kidnap his first dragon student, Sophrenia.
    Dragons can assume Human form, and while in Human form they lose the ability to fly and use their breath weapon, but will be able to use magic, once they are taught.
    Last but not least: this story is supposed to be fairly sandbox in nature. I know it may not seem like such, but I have only a very vague idea of what the plot is. How it unfolds is mostly up to the players. I will try to keep things moving, but the players should have some idea of just what exactly they want to do, as otherwise I will probably making be up stuff on the fly to fill in the gaps (Which I am likely to do anyway). Also, I tend to either be too subtle or too heavy handed when it comes to introducing plot threads… you have been warned.

Note: This game is a continuation of the original Dragon Master game. Due to the fact that half of the original players had to leave or are MIA, a cluttered OOC thread, a bit of narrative walls which will be overcome by an in-game time skip, as well as a few other issues…I thought it appropriate to start fresh and open a new set of threads. New players are welcome to sign up, although I am holding a few spots in reserve.

Desired Number of Players: 4-8 players, 5 slots open (5 slots have been reserved for the following players: Crixon, Mabn).

History:

Spoiler
    Show
    Dragons were the first race to appear on Illnora. But after reaching unparalleled heights in knowledge and technology, they did something that would forever break the world; they broke the fabric of reality to tap into the Void. The resulting chaos triggered the Great Cataclysm, a terrifying event where Void energies ravaged the entire world, splitting continents, raising mountains, and changing the face of the land. The Void would’ve torn the world apart if it wasn’t for the timely intervention of the Illnoran gods.When the worst of it was over, the gods punished the surviving dragons by banishing the dragons and their homeland into their own pocket dimension, thus forming Draconia.

In the time since the dragons were banished to Draconia, Humanity had risen from the ashes of the Great Cataclysm. Hardy and tenacious, the human race soon rose to fill the void left by the dragons as the dominating force on the planet. The gods, worried that the humans would be as foolish as the dragons were, decided to walk among men, guide and teach them in order to prepare them for the day when the patch they put on the void would surely fail. Under their leadership, Humanity prospered and grew even stronger, eventually learning to tap into magic themselves under the watchful eyes of their benevolent (but traumatized) deities. However, the gods soon realized that they would not always be able to strive with man, and so they departed, leaving their wise teachings, prophecies, and some powerful artifacts behind, to be used in the days when Void Energy would ravage the world once again. With the warnings and teachings of the gods still fresh on their minds, humanity experienced an age of innovation and increase in knowledge, to the point where they almost rivaled the dragons at their peak. But of course, the humans grew prideful over time, and lost much of their religious teachings. All that remains is ancient myth, shrouded in the mysteries of almost forgotten legends and stories.

Meanwhile, for thousands of years, the dragons dealt with strange beasts, famine, wars, and disease. And then, they discovered that they had the ability to warp between Illnora and Draconia, although the warp itself would leave the dragon in a weakened and exhausted state for the next few days. An expedition was soon formed to explore their old world, and see if Illnora would serve as a suitable hunting ground for young dragons, as if all the dragons were to migrate, then surely they would end up overhunting this lush world. What they found, however, was a world well into the golden age of man.
    Upon arrival, the dragons stumbled onto the grazing pasture of a herd of cows. Too exhausted and hungry to realize that the cows were domesticated beasts, nor the full implications of this, the dragons ate ravenously before retreating to shelter in the nearby mountain when humans discovered them. This, alongside, several other misunderstandings (involving mysterious forest fires and giant dung heaps) quickly led to a short but bloody war between the combined might of humanity, and the dragon expedition. The fighting was fierce and resulted in a stalemate. The humans raw numbers and magical might easily countered the raw power and cunning of the dragons; it seemed like neither side had the advantage, and there was no end in sight.

It took the machinations of a daring, and slightly insane wizard, to end the war. He theorized that the Dragons were intelligent beings, capable of parlay. If such was the case, he could find out why they came to Illnora, and perhaps negotiate a truce. One night he snuck into the dragon’s camp, and met with the Dragon leader, Xar’Goguz, who promptly woke up at pinned the wizard. But before he could deliver the killing blow, the wizard cried out that he came not to assassinate him, but to negotiate. Xar’Goguz curiosity was aroused, for the humans had not even attempted parlay before. Always, the humans fought dirtily, using tricks and stratagems to counter draconic might… and had never once considered that dragons may actually be intelligent. Impressed by the wizard’s apparent bravery and bravado, he chose to humor the wizard, on the condition that he would eat the troublesome human if he made any attempts at trickery.

The two beings talked for hours upon hours, trading the histories of their people, and learning all they could about each other’s cultures and customs. Finally after much debate, the two the two settled on a treaty that would hopefully settle the problems between the two races. Younger dragons would be allowed to journey to Illnora to hunt for food, but the humans would need a boon in exchange for allowing dragons to freely enter their territory. After much negotiation, the two decided that for each year a dragon stayed in Illnora, they would spend at least half of that time serving humanity under the watchful eyes of a human wizard as a gesture of good faith, and to encourage the two races to work together and learn more about their shared history as Illnorans. When the mutually agreed upon time of service was completed, the dragon would be sent home with some extra food.

The Wizard and Xar’Goguz departed as friends to present the treaty to their respective peoples for ratification. At first, both sides rejected the idea, but after much negotiation and persuasion, both sides adopted the treaty. To enforce the treaty, the humans established a new order of wizards, called the Dragon Masters to serve as ambassadors to the dragons, security, and enforcers of the treaty. The dragons likewise, also established their own orders to serve as ambassadors and enforcers. A few years after the treaty was established, the humans realized that with the dragons jumping back and forth, they couldn’t keep track of them, nor enforce the required servitude. Likewise the dragons sought an easier way to travel back and forth between the two worlds. Thus the practice of using magic to summon dragons began. Thus the war was ended, and peace between the two races ensured… or so they thought.

Of course, as time passed, both sides soon began to abuse the treaty. Young Dragons rebelled against their elders, and would make the jump to Illnora themselves in order to keep their freedom in tact. Humans, on the other hand, soon began seeing the dragons as inferior servants at best, and as slaves at worst. Dragon Masters were sent out to tag the rouge dragons with a tracking spell, so that when they made the jump back, they could be summoned. As time passed, the knowledge of the treaty was all but forgotten, except by a small few, and the summoned dragons would serve in increasingly inhumane situations for longer and longer periods of time. Both races were outraged at the abuse suffered by the other side, but… neither dared to open hostilities against each other, for fear of the mutual destruction a total war would bring. And so the suffering continued for over one thousand years.

It was around this time, that a talented and kind-hearted young Dragon Master, by the name of Bairn, actually took the time to learn about the treaty. As he grew in proficiency, he began to look upon his fellow Dragon Masters with distain, and came to realize that Dragons weren’t slaves, but people, with their own thoughts and emotions, and desires. From then on, he would take the time to befriend each dragon he summoned, and treat them with the utmost respect. Often however, he found it necessary to humble the prideful young dragons that came into his care, but once they were humble the two would inevitably get along. Now, Bairn has taken upon himself to change the world, and repair the relationship between man and dragon… and restore the treaty to full prominence, by any means necessary.

The Story So Far:
    Six Dragons on sojourn to Illnora were captured by Dragon Masters almost as soon as they set foot in Illnora. For over a week they are forced into human form and prevented from transforming back. During this time, they are subjected to cruel and cramped conditions, and are treated as little more than animals… receiving only a meager amount of food and water. After who knows how long (the dragons sure don’t), they are put up for auction as a group in a city called Var Novis, where they would be auctioned off to one of many faceless bidders.
    It was at this time that Bairn Novison, Lord of the Novis Province and a Dragon Master of Blue Rank, and his faithful attendant Drix (The last known survivor of the Arbiter dragon Clan), suddenly intervened. Paying an outrageous sum for the dragons, he saved them from being sold to a Knight of Rhorda and suffering a grizzly fate at their hand. He took them to a local shop where he bought them food, and explained how he and them were now caught up in a rather strange predicament. While he had no taste for how they were treated, and had no intention of treating them badly, they were stuck with him. He couldn’t set them free, because it would look suspicious to his superiors, nor could he send them away for the duration of the summoning spell for the same reason. Instead, he planned on taking them back to his manor, where they would be safe, and where he could further disclose his plans for them. (During the trip to the manor, two of the dragons fell into a vegetative state brought on by shock and severe depression and had to be taken to the infirmary for further care.)
    The next morning, Bairn’s intent soon became clear. It was his intention to train the dragons in the ways of human fighting, and more importantly, magic. After a hard day’s work of training them in martial arts under the tutelage of Drix, a fight broke out between Drix and some of the dragons. In the events following the fallout, Bairn managed to establish the trust of Aurora of the Whisperwind Clan, by showing her memories of his family and his training to become a Dragon Master, and vowing to train her and the others personally. He revealed that the reason he chose her and the others was because he thought he sensed that they had a strong Spark, or ability to learn and use magic, and that by training them, he would be honoring the memory of his first beloved dragon student, Sophrenia of the Nightshade Clan.
    After two months of intense physical training, only 3 of the original group of dragons remained and proved fit enough to learn magic: Aurora of the Whisperwind Clan, Mowgar of the Razor Scale Clan, and Scynath of an unknown Clan (Haven’t determined his clan yet.).

Now, (perhaps joined by a few other dragons with a strong Spark) with physical training out of the way the group has just started their secret training in magic, for if they are caught, then all dragons and humans involved will be brutally killed…

Player Expectations

Spoiler
    Show

1. Posting: I expect players to provide one long and well thought-out post once every 5 days… AT AN ABSOLUTE MINIMUM. (I would prefer it if you posted much more often… like once every 2 days, but I know some people can’t keep up with that.) You may post as much as you want above that, in fact, I would highly encourage it… but if you do, try making each of your posts a tad shorter to compensate. Use your own judgement on this: for the love of all things pleasing, I don’t want anyone’s characters to hog the spotlight, much less fall behind! With that being said, I have had trouble with people either posting so fast that others can’t keep up and loose track of whats going on. If players end up falling behind, or aren’t posting often enough to keep the game moving at a desirable pace, then I will add a soft maximum post limit, or change the minimum post limit as needed. Whatever your posting schedule, be consistent if at all possible. Even if you do not post every day, try to stay current with what’s going on.
    2. Non-Responsive Player Policy: If a player hasn’t made a post within 1 week, then I will decide the character’s actions in order to keep the story moving… such a thing is undesirable for me to do, so if this happens, I will only have your character perform simple actions, and then move them offscreen (if possible) until you show back up again. If you don’t desire this to happen, then make arrangements with another player. If a player hasn’t posted at all within 3 weeks or more, and they haven’t posted a leave of absence (or announced their retirement from the game), then their character will become an NPC until such a time that they do post. With that being said however, having to deal with the character of a long-term non-responsive player, or a player who up and leaves without telling me first is a huge pain in my butt… and an even bigger pet peeve of mine. Please, if your going to leave the game, let me know first. Its polite, respectful, eases my mind, and is extremely helpful. Seriously, I’m a nice guy, I don’t bite (usually), and 99% of the time I can deal with you leaving in a positive and polite manner. So humor me, and try talking with me first. :)
    3. Absences: Stuff happens… maybe your busy with work or classes, or on vacation, or maybe you just need a short break to allow your mind to rest. Either way, if your going to be gone and unable to post for longer than a week (IE 7 or more days where you can’t post at all), let me know via PM, and announce it in the OOC thread. Make sure you will tell us about when you can start playing again, and I will try to make arrangements for your character in the meantime. If you can make arrangements with another player to let them play as your character during your absence, then please DO IT. That way I have one less thing to worry about.
    4. Leaving the Game: If for some reason, you can no longer play the game (You aren’t having as much fun as you thought, you have beef with me or another player, the game isn’t going the way you thought it was, or some other reason), then please, PM me first and we can try to sort it out without you having to leave the game. If your mind is made up and you still wish to leave, then you are free to go, but let me know first and why, so we can make arrangements on what to do with your character. You don’t have to post in the OOC if you don’t want to.Either way, I will probably do one of three things with your character: "Put your character on a bus", pass control over to another player, or make them an NPC, so you could rejoin the game should you change your mind.
    5. Roleplaying: I expect you to put effort and thought into every one of your posts, don’t make a post shorter than two lines if you can help it. I expect you guys to give insights and clues to your character's thoughts and feelings in most posts, so please, make every single post as valuable as you possibly can. With that being said, stick to the point as best as you can as well. I prefer shorter posts that can accurately and clearly communicate your character's actions/thoughts/feelings, rather than long flowing posts of dialogue and actions. That will only end up confusing me and others. Most of the time, a couple of short, well written paragraphs with proper spelling and grammar should suffice under most circumstances. Also note, that I expect your character to get hurt at least some of the time both, physically, mentally, and emotionally. It breeds conflict and makes games much more interesting.
    6. New Players: I will accept new players as long as there are open slots available. Just PM me your character sheet, promise to try and post regularly and enthusiastically, and if I like your character and think you’d do well, then I will allow you to play. I will need to find a way to squish your character in, however.
    7. Themes/Tone: If you haven't gathered already, this is supposed to be a roleplay that deals with serious issues such as, but not limited to Slavery, Genocide, Prejudice (More Specifically, Racism), etc. However, I intend for the story to be fairly light hearted at times, so that we all keel over from too much dreariness. Humor and Comedy is appropriate in this game, particularly since I want to be able to relieve tension when necessary. However, there will be times when the story can get quite dark… the beginning of the prologue was one of those times. All I ask is that you are willing to go to these places, and act appropriately using your own judgement. If the story seems light hearted at the moment, then play accordingly, if its darker, then again, play accordingly. During dark moments, try to keep comedy to a well-placed minimum, and during light hearted moments, I ask that you don't remain too dark and brooding. This is supposed to be fun, not dark and dreary all the time.
    8. Social Contract: Due to issues with players in the previous game threads, I am initiating a social contract which all players should abide by if they wish to play. All players must try remain civil and friendly with each other and with the GM while playing the game. You will show everyone respect, and should you offend someone OOC, you should apologize. Likewise, if someone else offends you, you should forgive them. We are here to have fun and play a game… not get in a tavern brawl. If you have any major beef with someone, leave it outside the thread, and preferably off the forum as well.

Commitment: By signing up for this roleplay you are making a formal commitment that you agree to honor. You agree to and promise to abide by the terms listing above, and understand what kind of roleplay this is intended to be. You affirm that you will post no less than once a week IC, and are planning to stay in this game for the long haul. You agree to try to remain civil and friendly with your GM and fellow players, and to work with them no matter what issues you may or may not have with each other. If you cannot post for longer than 7 days, you agree to contact the GM via private messaging AND let him and everyone else know in a post in the OOC. If you find that you need to leave the game, you agree to let him know ahead of time via private messaging, tell him why you are leaving, and make arrangements with him about what to do with your character. You understand that failing to abide by these principles may result in you getting kicked from the game.

Game System (Updated):

While the original game system was a freeform roleplay, certain issues have cropped up that have encouraged me to create a simple system to allow for a degree of randomness in the game, and to help players out in situations where they have no idea what to do, as well as a way to prevent arguments. This is not intended to be a full blown game system… rather its put into place to provide a degree of flexible framework for an otherwise freeform RP. It works as follows:

Spoiler
    Show
    When a player needs to do something, they roll 1d20+(relevant modifier), and compare it to either a fixed number or another 1d20+modifier, depending on the situation. If the player’s roll is greater, they succeed, if less, they fail. A natural 1 is an epic auto-failure and a natural 20 is an auto-success, except in opposing rolls.

Players are encouraged to roleplay the degree of success and failure.

Combat or a competition between players is handled similarly, both players roll 1d20+(relevant modifier), and compare the results. The person with the highest roll gets a cumulative +2 advantage on the next roll during the fight. If the player loses a roll after winning 1 or more previous rolls, they lose 1 advantage. To decidedly win a fight or a competition, the player must either get the highest roll five times in a row, or beat the opposing roll by 10 or more points.

Note: the use of this system is intended to be used for situations where a character shouldn't auto-succeed or auto-fail, situations where I feel it would be more fair to throw randomness into the game than let the players decide, or when players are stuck in indecision about how to write their post. This is not intended to be a full blown system, and as such, I will try not to use the system for every little thing.

Relevant Stats used in this system are typically rated on a scale of 1-6, with 1 being abnormally inferior, 3-4 being about average, and 6 being extraordinary. Stats can be pushed higher than a 6 under certain circumstances, but no stat can be pushed below a 1.

Strength: <Physical Strength. Used for melee attacks. Dragon form gets a +2 increase.>
    Agility: <Physical Dexterity. Used for ranged attacks, maneuvering, and dodging. Human form gets a +2 increase.>
    Endurance: <Physical Toughness. Dragon Form gets a +2 increase.>
    Intelligence: <How smart your character is, and how fast he/she learns.>
    Willpower: <Mental toughness, and common sense.>
    Magic: <Aptitude for casting spells. Always starts off at 1 or 2, no exceptions>

Other stats may be added as needed, but for now I think that is good. All in all, I think this provides a nice, but simple, compromise between those that like roll-playing and those that like roleplaying.

Character Sheet:

Spoiler
    Show
    Name:
    Clan:

Appearance (Human Form/Dragon Form):

Breath Weapons: <Start out with one: Fire (Most Common), Lightning, Acid, Sonic Scream, OR Freezing Breath. You may add additional breath weapons either now or later with GM approval.>

Stats: <Each stat starts at 1. You are given 14 points to divide among each stat as you please. you cannot push a stat higher than a 6 with these points.>

• Strength: <Physical Strength. Used for melee attacks. Dragon form gets a +2 increase.>
    • Agility: <Physical Dexterity. Used for ranged attacks, maneuvering, and dodging. Human form gets a +2 increase.>
    • Endurance: <Physical Toughness. Dragon Form gets a +2 increase.>
    • Intelligence: <How smart your character is, and how fast he/she learns.>
    • Willpower: <Mental toughness, and common sense.>
    • Magic: <Aptitude for casting spells. Dragons cannot raise this stat higher than a 2 starting off, no exceptions without GM approval.>

Strengths: <What is your character good at?>
    Weaknesses: <What limits your character? What is she terrible at?>

Fighting Proficiency (Human Form): <Your character begins play knowing the Tsu Mar martial art (A martial art that serves as the foundation for all other kinds of martial arts, and which provides basic all-around training for unarmed combat), knowing how to fight with one melee weapon of your choice, and knowing how to fight with one ranged weapon of your choice.>
    Fighting Style: <How does your character deal with combat? Any tactics?>
    Known Spells: <Your character starts out knowing a number of utility spells equal to your Magic stat. These spells should be roughly equivalent to Cantrips or 0th level spells.>
    Special Abilities: <Does your character have any special powers, either natural or acquired? Spells do not count.>

Money: <Keep track of it in gold.>
    Gear: <Your character begins play with a focus, an item that allows you to use magic more efficiently; a Training Shadow, which serves as a sparring parter that can match your fighting skills exactly and becomes harder to beat with every match; one ranged weapon of your choice; one melee weapon of your choice; leather armor; and some other gear>

Background: <Use the 10 min. Background to start out with. Make sure to include your character’s background story, any important personality traits, Goals, Aspirations, etc. Players who are returning from the Prologue game should include important events that happened there as part of their character’s background story>

IC Thread Link: The Dragon Master: Magic 101 {IC}
    Dice Thread Link: Dragon Master Dice Thread
    Last edited by Durzan; 2018-01-30 at 04:10 PM.
    Wheel of Time 3.5e Homebrew
    My Original D20 System: Forgotten Prophecies RPG

When it comes to GMing, World-Building is one of the things that I do best, provided I have friends to bounce ideas off of.

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: The Dragon Master: Magic 101 {OOC}

Useful Lore:

General Stuff:

Spoiler
    Show
    Magic: Magic is cast using mana, which is created by pulling raw energy through your mind to purify it into mana. Mana is also known as life-force. Casting a spell always requires mana. To help spell casters focus their magical energy, all of them possess a focus (A staff, ring, necklace, wand, or other item that can be worn or held, that is specifically attuned to the caster), which allows them to cast spells. In order to make casting a spell easier for novice spellcasters, all spells require verbal and somatic components. More experienced magic users can learn to forego all components, although casting without a focus is less efficient and strains the caster more. Magic users tend to age very slowly, to the point where the longest lived magic users have a lifespan longer than that of dragons.

Rituals: Rituals are simply spells that, due to requiring an abnormal amounts of mana, typically require a longer time to cast. Most of the spell can be prepped ahead of time to allow them to be cast quickly in an emergency, or can be cast in a group to speed up the casting time. Rituals tend to be extremely powerful, but often take a strong toll on spell-casters.

Draconia: Draconia is the harsh, Dragon homeland, that was split from Illnora millennia ago. It resides in its own pocket dimension, making travel between it and Illnora incredibly difficult and exhausting to those who attempt it. Draconia is under constant famine due to dimensional isolation, combined with overpopulation of its Draconic inhabitants. Time in this world flows independently from Illnora, for every Illnoran year that passes, 10 years pass in Draconia.

Humans in Draconia: Technically, it wouldn't violate the treaty if a Human were to visit Draconia. However, Humans have never really had the desire nor a good reason to travel to Draconia, and the Dragons wouldn't tolerate a human's presence there. Heck, the only reason the Humans allow the dragons to visit Illnora is because dragons gotta eat, and they get free labor from the arrangement. Draconia is barely habitable as it is for dragons, so naturally a human would find it extremely hard to endure, unless they went absolutely decked out in protective spells, or happened to have a bit of dragon blood running through their veins. The only way a human would be able to get to Draconia is if one of three things happen:
    1. A dragon summoned a human (not likely, considering dragons typically cant cast spells without going through a lot off effort),
    2. A human developed a spell that could transport a human to draconia safely (Summoning a dragon, and teleporting are similar in theory, but are different in practice, again not likely)
    3. A human managed to snag a ride on a dragon making the jump back (the least likely to occur).

Ultimately, it would take more effort than it is worth for the Humans to do so, and as such it just isn't practical.

Illnora: Is the homeworld of both Humans and Dragons. It a young beautiful world, but ancient scars from the Great Cataclysm can be seen by those with a sharp eye. The three continents are fairly close together, only separated by some relatively small straits and a huge gulf sea where Draconia used to be.

Dragons: Dragons live roughly 10x as long as humans, but have a period of adolescence roughly the same as humans. A dragon is physically mature and considered a young adult sometime between the ages of 16 and 25, but their minds don’t fully mature until around 40 or so. Dragons also have the ability to use breath weapons, the kind of which is determined by which clan they are born into. Fire is the most common breath weapon. A dragon can learn additional breath weapons, but doing so is time-consuming. Dragons tend to live in large clans, with a loose hierarchal structure. Younglings are raised both by their parents, with the rest of the community providing additional support. Since Draconia is a harsh place to live, the tribes tend to be very strict. If a youngling does something that is liable to get them killed, not much grief is shown, although the parents will tend to mourn in private.

Size: A newly hatched dragon (Wyrmlings) is tiny, but quickly grows to small size within 5 years of birth (Adolescent). Another growth spurt occurs when the dragon reaches approximately 16 years (Juvenile), at which point they become medium size. Dragons then grow rather at a constant rate from then on out. By 50 years (Adult), they progress from medium to large in size. From then on they are a fully mature adult. Adult Dragons range in size from Large (Younger than 250 Years) to the lower ends of gargantuan size (Over 800 Years). Dragons stop growing once they hit ~800 years old, as that is when the effects of old age start to hit them, which typically lasts for at most another 300-400 years before the dragon most certainly dies.

Strength: How strong do you think a giant six limbed lizard would be? They'd probably have strength comparable to White Dragons from dnd... possibly slightly weaker, or maybe slightly stronger. The exact specifics are one of the things I am still trying to work out.

Intelligence: In this setting, when it comes to raw intelligence, Dragons as a race aren't noticeably smarter than humans. However, since they are naturally long lived, they are able to easily make long term plans, and are patient tacticians by nature. It has to do with their hunting instincts, I think. Their advantages lie in the fact that they are stronger and tougher than humans, have a huge endurance (to be able to fly), and have very potent natural weapons. The older dragons are obviously wiser, but that is just due to being VERY old, and having lots of experience.

Dragons born from the union of dragons of two different clans are not uncommon. Typically, such dragons have a single dominating scale color inherited from one of their parents, and inherit one of the parent's breath weapons, usually the one that best suits their personality. However, it is possible (but very rare) for such a dragon to be born with a defect where both sets of genes from the parents become equally dominant. In such a case, both scale colors of the parents are equally dominant, and both breath weapons are also equally dominant. This creates a sense of conflict within a young dragon... and until said conflict is resolved, she will not be able to use either breath weapon, and her scale patterns will not form a cohesive whole. IF this internal conflict is resolved, then one of the breath weapons will become dominant, and the easiest breath weapon for her to use, and her scales will soon take on a more permanent and complementary pattern. She will also be able to use the second, but it will be harder for her to use naturally.

Humans: Most Humans tend to live around 100 years at most. They breed like rodents compared to dragons, and are versatile in both mind and body. Humans have many kingdoms and nations throughout Illnora, each with variance in how they are governed. One thing that all nations have in common is an organization of magic users, who are for the most part independent and self-governing. This organization does unify the Human race, and provides the services required to keep Dragon servants in check. While humans do have internal squabbles, they are more than willing to unite against a common threat, such as the Dragon Expedition during the Dragon war. Humans have quite a few religions, left over from the mythical era over 3000 years ago, when the gods walked among men.

The Knights of Rhorda: One of the primary antagonists of the game. A militant group/cult with an extreme hatred for dragons. Originally formed during the Dragon War, it is their stated goal to exterminate all dragons from the face of the earth, or failing that, see to it that they remain enslaved and do not threaten humanity.

Servants of Vaasharg: A secondary group of antagonists, which serves as a draconic counterpoint to the Knights of Rhorda. They will only show up if we manage to get far enough into the story. The Servants of Vaasharg are a group of dragons who desire to return the continent of Draconia back to Illnora. The fact that doing so would displace all the water in the Great Gulf Sea, killing all land life on the rest of Illnora in the process, is of no real concern of theirs.

Technology: Technology in Illnora and Draconia is medieval in nature, with a trend towards Magi-tech in some areas.

Other sentient races: At this point in the Illnoran timeline the only known sentient races are the humans and the dragons; in the future, there will be other sentient humanoid races that exist in this world. They will be variants of your typical humanoid fantasy races and will be offshoots of the original human race. Since they don't come into existence until long after this story takes place, it goes without saying they are non-playable in this campaign.

However, it is worth mentioning that there is at least one other group of races might make an appearance, but they are... well, less than pleasant, and are not native to Illnora. If we get that far in the story (I would be surprised if we did), I will introduce them to the campaign.

Money: Humans use coins made from precious metals for their currency. While each nation mints its own coins, there is a standard international exchange rate for coin values.
    • A Xinti is a circular coin made from a rare and mysterious metal known only as Xiterium. It is roughly the same size as a Maurc, but only weighs 1/4 an ounce. Xinti are minted and distributed by the Illnoran Wizard Council. Its value depends on its color.
      • A Sapphire Blue Xinti is the most common, and is worth 10 Maurcs. It often has the number 10 stamped on it.
      • A Blood Red Xinti is rarer, being worth 100 Maurcs. It often has the number 100 stamped on it.

• A Maurc is a gold coin shaped like a hexagon with a circular hole in the middle, and weighs in at roughly 1/3 of an ounce. It is the most common kind of coin, and is accepted virtually everywhere. Its value forms the basis of the entire coin exchange. It is made using a gold/nickel alloy, making this coin a lot stronger and somewhat lighter than it would otherwise be.
    • A Duni is a Diamond shaped silver coin with a circular hole in the middle that weighs in at roughly 1/3 of an ounce. It is commonly seen used in medium wealth towns, and by fairly prosperous merchants. It is worth 1/10th the value of a Marc
    • A Sumi is a small circular coin made of a silver alloy. Unlike a Duni, this coin has a slight greenish tint, which is part of the reason why it is worth so little. This small coin weighs roughly 1/4 of an ounce, and is often the average daily wage of a poor worker. It is worth 1/100th of a Maurc.
    • A Copper Bit is the lowest form of accepted currency. It is roughly the same size as a duni, but its value is barely worth a single ounce of barely. It is primarily used to give change. It is worth 1/1000th of a mark.
    • For the sake of clarity, keep track of your money in Gold. Don't worry about the proper names for the coins. a Maurc is a Gold Coin, or gold piece.

Dragon Clans:

Spoiler
    Show

There are 12 Major Dragon Clans from which all dragons hail from. Some of the clans are sub-divided into tribes. The Clans are known as follows:
    1. Dark Claw -- The Dark Claw dragons value Cunning and Gile above raw physical might, and as such they tend to make excellent strategists. It was one of their ancient tribal leaders, Xilmund the Great, which united the twelve dragon clans and established the First Empire. Although Xilmund didn't live to see the full might of his empire, it was due to his ruthless cunning and strategies in the conquering of the other 11 tribes which let to the Golden Age of Dragons. Unfortunately Xilmund's work was finally shattered when the Void was opened, and the Great Cataclysm ravaged Illnora. Becoming of their clan name, most Dark Claws bear claws that are naturally jet black in color, unlike the usual white or grey talons that are characteristic of most dragons. If the claws don’t give the dragon’s clan away, then often the unique flecks of green or emerald on their scales would give them away.
    2. Whisper Wind -- The Whisper Wind Dragons are equal to none when it comes to their ability to control the skies. They pride themselves in their speed, endurance, and agility while in flight. They are known for their hit and run tactics. They can be recognized by their slender build and lighter colored scales.
    3. Scatter Tooth -- This clan is well balanced in their mentality, but one thing has given them status as one of the 12 major dragon clans: their love of comfort and good cuisine.
    4. Razor Scale -- A Small clan that has close ties to Scatter Tooth clan, so much so that many mistake their members for Scatter Tooths. Even among dragons, their scales are abnormally tough… and fairly sharp.
    5. Firemaw -- Fierce, loyal, and tenacious, the Firemaws are a force to be reckoned with in open battle. Members of this clan tend to be the strongest and most fit.
    6. Arbiters (Extinct) -- Charged with the keeping of draconic history, the Arbiters are secretive, wise, and patient in nature. Curiously enough, they boast the ability to memorize and store vast amounts of information in their minds. Unfortunately, the Cataclysm destroyed most of their physical records before most of them could be memorized, and as such much useful information has been lost over the last few thousand years. The few ancient secrets that survived have been passed down through oral tradition. In the years since the Cataclysm, the Arbiters have been hunted down by other dragons in order to extract what little knowledge could be gleaned from them. Drix is the last known survivor of this clan.
    7. Nightshade -- Although one of the lesser known and more mysterious Dragon Clans, the Nightshades are elusive in nature, and also rumored to be masters of stealth and trickery rivaling the cunning of even the Dark Claw dragons. They tend to fly and hunt at night, and when they take to the darkened skies are extremely hard to spot. Sophrenia was thought to be member of the Nightshade clan. They can be recognized by their dark scales and slender build. Purple flecks on their scales are often seen as another common feature.
    8. Bloodrage — This clan is known for their brashness, short tempers, and their love of a good fight. Flecks of Blood Red often mark their scales, whatever color or build they may have.
    9. (So far, I have only come up with 8 out of the 12 clans… I could use some player input for the remaining 5)

Technology & Magic Items:

Spoiler
    Show
    Phoenix Wings: A magical amulet that encases the user in a protective crystalline structure that allows the user to fly. Notoriously difficult to control, they require special training and experience in order to use to their full extent. The wings have three forms:

• Travel form, which allows the wings to accelerate to speeds that rival the fastest fliers in Illnora, at the cost of maneuverability and additional mana consumption. (Akin to a Fighter Jet)
    • Hover form, which sacrifices raw thrust power in exchange for nearly 100% arial maneuverability, making this form comparable to the flight patterns of a humming bird. This form is capable of making such maneuvers at high speeds, although the higher the momentum, the harder the maneuver becomes.
    • Glider form, This form is designed to conserve mana. As such, when this form is engaged, the thrust is completely disabled, only allowing the pilot to glide.

The Phoenix Wings might be able to match or even surpass dragons in aerial combat, but they cannot possibly match the powerful endurance of a dragon. A Dragon can fly for days straight if needed, while a man with Phoenix Wings must supply them with a constant source of mana, or else the user will quickly run out of fuel; this makes the Phoenix Wings impractical for longer trips or extended use. Also, Phoenix Wings are a lot more fragile than Dragon Scales, making them somewhat of a glass cannon. If you manage to land one good hit in, or the wings are stressed too hard, they can easily fail. Last but not least, they are expensive to make, so only the wealthy can afford them.

Fun fact: This was actually one of the first things I came up with, when I was originally designing this world about a year ago. The thought that led to the creation of this item was something along the lines of, "It would be funny to see a dragon try operate a fighter jet."

Illnoran Pantheon:

Spoiler
    Show
    There are six major Deities that are a part of the Illnoran pantheon. They are beings who created the world, patched the hole in the void, banished the Dragons to Draconia, and uplifted and taught the humans in preparation for when their patch on the void would fail. Each of the gods tend to have incredible power that expands across many things, but instead of trying to do everything at once, they each choose to specialize in specific domains that reflect their personality, talents, and interests.

It is worth noting that while these gods are very powerful, they are reluctant to interfere directly with their own creation, as their interference can have… unexpected and/or unintended results. This desire to remain aloof and observe has only grown stronger over time. The only times they directly interfered with their creation was during the creation of Illnora, dealing with the Great Cataclysm and its immediate aftermath, and the uplifting & teaching of the spirits of nature and the humans. It is also worth noting, that the events of the Great Cataclysm has given every Illnoran God a form of PTSD, which has only worsened as time has passed, reinforcing their self-exclusion from the world. Because of this, when the patch finally fails and the Void returns, Humanity will be on its own.

• Marthos: The king of the gods, Lord of the Skies. He has power and dominion over all things, but chooses to delegate some of that power and responsibility to his fellows. His symbol is the sun. His personal domains are: The Sun & Skies, Daytime, Light, Life, Truth, and Creation. (Alignment would be Lawful Good)
    • Dwayii: Marthos's beloved wife, the Lady of the Night. Her symbol is the moon. Her personal domains are: The Moon & Skies, Nighttime, Nature (This includes weather & animals), Mercy, & Love. (Alignment would be Chaotic Good)
    • Vallos: Marthos's Twin brother, Prince of Justice. His symbol is a shield with the scales of justice etched into it, with two crossed swords set behind the shield. His personal domains are: War, Justice, & Law. (Alignment would be Lawful Neutral, slight good slant)
    • Mivas: Vallos' wife, the Lady of the Sea. Her symbol is a fish riding a blue wave of water. Her personal domains are: Water, Serenity, & Balance. (Alignment would be Neutral Good, slight chaotic slant)
    • Dantos: The younger brother of Marthos & Vallos, the Mischevious Trickster. It is worth noting that although Dantos is associated with Death and Trickery, he is not malevolent in nature. His symbol is a blue wolf. His personal domains are: The Afterlife, Death, Trickery, Thievery, Deception (Alignment would be Chaotic Neutral, slight slant towards Good)
    • Zemnah: Dantos' wife, the Lady of Joy. Her symbol is a golden harp & wine cup. Her personal domains are: Fire, Passion, Celebration, Music, Wine, & Art. (Alignment would be Chaotic Good)

When it comes to GMing, World-Building is one of the things that I do best, provided I have friends to bounce ideas off of.

3. - Top - End - #3

<Reserved for additional Lore>

4. - Top - End - #4

<Reserved for additional lore>

5. - Top - End - #5

<Reserved for additional lore if/when needed.>

6. - Top - End - #6

Last lore page reserved.

Players can go ahead and post their character sheets, and claim their dialogue colors!

As GM I will most likely just use quotes.

Italics are used for character's thoughts.

7. - Top - End - #7

AssassinGuy

Name: Yi'Oustrint
    Clan: Sin
    Speech Colour: Light Blue

Spoiler: The Rest
    Show

Apperance:
    Human: Yi's human form is a massive, hulking man, standing in at 6' 10" and weighing a massive 324lbs, with a well developed and muscular body. His skin is a mid-ton weathered brown and free of any blemishes as well as having very little hair on his body. He prefers to keep his head clean shaven, as he finds hair maintaince to be annoying, but does have a black goatee as he believes it makes him more intimidating. Yi's eyes are an electric blue, standing in stark contrast to his skin and facial hair.

Whilst in human form, Yi tends to wear loose and open shirts, often without sleeves. His choice of pants tends to be common breeches, tucked into heavier calf boots. He also wears a heavy leather bracer and gauntlet over his right hand and forearm to cover slaver marks he has aquired over his lifetime on Illnora.

Dragon: The scales of Yi's dragon form are a deep and reflective onyx, fleced with electric blue, violet and crimson, similar to dark opals. He stands taller than many a dragon of his own age, but lacks the overly muscular body of his human form, instead being much more serpentine.

Breath Weapon: Freezing Breath

Stats:
    Strength: 6
    Agility: 4
    Endurance: 4
    Intelligence: 2
    Willpower: 3
    Magic: 1

Strengths: Obviously, Yi's greatest assest is his size, weight and strength, with few humans able to match him. During his tenure as a slave, Yi was mostly used for manual labour. He is also fairly intimidating and more than capable in a fight.

Weakness: Yi is unforunately fairly lazy, even before being brought to Illona. Since his arravial, he has only gotten worse, and has often incurred the wrath of his human masters. He also finds it quite difficult to hold his tongue in circumstances he should remain quiet and sees little reason to fear backlash for what he says.

Other:
    Fighting Proficency:
    -Tsu Mar Martial Arts
    -Fen La Style (An extension of Tsu Mar, focusing on the breaking of an opponents bones to remove resistance and incipacitate without necessarily killing. The style is often considered barbaric by almost all, as it is intended to cause maximum pain, as there are many other forms that are far more capable of incapacitating someone in a fight) [Choose a different fighting style over a weapon. Figured it should be equal]
    -Throwing Axe
    Fighting Style: Yi disdains from actively joining fights, prefering to simply try and scare his foes into backing down, as it means he has less to do. However, if forced into a fight, he has a preferance for attempting to break as many of his foes bones, often going overboard for making him actually do something. His fights tend to have little in the way of tactics apart from "Win."
    Known Spells: Blood Pool: Cleans the caster of any blood on themself and their gear, and stops any current injuries from continuing to bleed. (Based off of Pathfinder Stabilize)
    Create Flame: Creates a small flame
    Special Abilities: Scale-Skin (Yi's skin is much more resistant that the skin of humans. Whilst it is not necessarily as strong as true armour, he does not bruise easily, and rarely ever receives small cuts or scrapes.) [Roughly equivalent to Natural Armour 1-2)
    Bird call (Yi seems to be able to call birds to him. He has no particular ability to control them, but they are usually friendly towards him.)

Money: 0?
    Gear: General Clothing, Pair of Throwing Axes, Armed Gauntlet and Bracer (Right Arm)

Background:
    Spoiler
    Show

10-Minute Background
    Five Things About Concept/Background
    1) Yi has been in Illona for about eight months already, enslaved by a number of different Dragon Masters. Although originally classed as a high value dragon, his re-sales have usually been for substantially less.
    2) Yi was normally brought and sold for manual labour, but due to his lazy attitude, was usually punished severely. This often lead to him being used in slave duels.
    3) Yi's second master had him taught an advanced fighting still, to be able to use him as a gladiator. Although good, his master passed him on after owing to much money.
    4) Yi has slain two dragons in his time as a slave. The first was an elder, more experienced dragon, whom Korh had him kill as a "test." Although reluctant, Yi eventually did as he was told after both he and his foe were punished heavily until he did as he was told. The second death was in self defence, near the end of Yi's time under Korh. He had recently acquired a new dragon, and wanted him to kill the defiant Yi. He managed to survive, and was sold off afterwards by a rather annoyed Korh, realising that Yi was too much of a hassle to deal with.

Two Goals
    1) Hunting down and slaying each of his previous three "Masters."
    2) Gain true freedom. No one to control him or give him orders.

Two Secrets
    1) Yi has already gained "vengeance" against his latest master by sleeping with his daughter whilst still enslaved. The master only found this out after selling Yi. [Known]

Three Relatives, Companions or Other
    1) Clan of Sin: The clan Yi is from. The clan was originally formed from the exiles of other clans. Over time, the clan came to cherish strength, as exiles would challenge the clan leaders to establish their position. Although it is no longer the clan of new exiles, strength and power are still the favoured traits of the clan. Draconic colours within the clan have no real pattern, as their bloodline is incredibly mixed. The Clan of Sin is not on any good terms with any of the other clans, as many still view it as the place for exiles.
    2) Magister Korh Calhase: Yi's last and longest master. Yi received the most punishment and humiliation whilst under Korh, and was forced to kill at least two fellow dragons because of Korh's orders. Korh is also the most powerful of the Dragon Master Yi has had to serve.
    3) "Choco": A generic nickname Yi uses for birds. For some reason, all birds seem to respond to Yi when he calls them Choco. He envies them for their freedom.

Three Memories
    1) Being dragged to Illona and bound into human form. The humiliation and anger at being bound into a lesser form by mere humans.
    2) The memory of his first kill. The feeling of shattered bone and blood covering his hands, and watching his foe draw his final breath.
    3) The distant memory of Draconia, it's open plains and minimal responsibilities. Unfortunately, Yi now despises this memory of Draconia, mostly since he fears he will never return there.

Last edited by Icilia; 2016-10-12 at 08:34 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Spoiler: Character Sheet
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by whoiam View Post
    Name: Hesi Arcanisstok Ixen Anhew di'wer Dian (usually referred to by humans as 'Dian', or it's common translation, 'Dawn'.)
    Clan: Arbiter/To Be Named

Appearance:
    Spoiler: Dragon Form
    Show

By dragon standards, Dian's long and very thin. Part of this is that she's clearly still going through adolescence, but even by those standards, she's lighter than she should be. If anything, she looks... underfed. (Which was, in fact, the case. It's not true anymore, but she hasn't had a chance to put the missing weight on because her body's busy going through its' second growth spurt.)

Dian has dark yellow scales with large golden patches on them. The gold patches are significantly smoother - and harder - than the yellow. It gives her scales a very odd texture, were you to run a hand over them.

Note: Probably not a great idea to try stroking her scales. Not unless you're sure you're thinking something that won't cause her to try setting you on fire.

Spoiler: Human Form
    Show

If Dian cleaned herself up, she'd be 'cute'. Not beautiful, like Aurora - just cute. There's nothing especially wrong with her appearance (apart from her human form mirroring her dragon form in looking painfully thin), but nothing too memorable either.

Except her yellow eyes. But that's probably more weird than attractive.

Sadly, Dian never generally reaches the level of 'cute'. This is because she's... 'aggressively indifferent' to her appearance. That's not to say she walks around looking and smelling like a dungheap, because her hygiene is pretty good. It's just that, without explicit orders to the contrary, she's the sort of person who would just throw some clothes on after bathing, and if her hair's damp and tangled and the clothes are drab, old and ill-fitting, what does she care?

She is, however, particular about her gloves. Dian owns a pair of brown opera gloves and wears them more or less constantly. While she'd be the first to admit she doesn't much care about the style, those gloves represent her only means of interacting with others without being forced into reading their minds by every errant touch...

Breath Weapons: Fire

Stats:
    Strength: 1
    Agility: 5
    Endurance: 2
    Intelligence: 6
    Willpower: 4
    Magic: 2
    Charisma: 5

Strengths: Intellect, Magic, Telepathy and Healing. Has more-or-less perfect recall. Strong knowledge of Human cultures.
    Weaknesses: Very weak (by Dragon standards). Poor endurance. Telepathy has no 'off' switch. Poor social skills. An aversion to physical contact with living creatures. Lacks knowledge of Dragons and Draconic culture.

Fighting Proficiency (Human Form):
    • Tsu Mar (unarmed)
    • Quarterstaff (armed)
    • Longbow (Ranged)

Fighting Style: Dian will basically never use Tsu Mar if she's got any alternative. She may be proficient, but accidentally reading your opponent's mind during combat is 'distressing'. And for her, it could happen each time she lands or blocks a blow... Instead she relies on her preferred quarterstaff and longbow to keep herself out of touching distance.

Known Spells:
    • Translation (Magic that can be used to decipher magical inscriptions. As her magic stat increases I'm planning to have this one improve to 'allows magical comprehension of all languages' and then on to 'can understand and speak any language, written or verbal, magical or no'. In D&D terms, she's starting with Read Magic, and eventually developing it into Comprehend Languages, and then Tongues.)
    • Healing (Very slow, mechanical injury only, touch only. As she develops this magic, I'm expecting it to both speed up and increase the severity and types of injury or illness it can cure - picking up things such as curing disease, regenerating entirely lost body parts, counteracting poisons or toxins... but to start with, it's just healing plain injuries, so long as the body parts being healed are still a part of the main body. And she's willing to keep touching the person long enough to heal them.)
    • Create Flame

Special Abilities:
    • Touch Telepathy (Triggered by body contact with other living creatures. Results in the reading of surface thoughts, as per the third round of a Detect Thoughts spell. Blocked by clothing.)
    • Photographic Memory
    • True Omnivore (Dian's digestive tract is less of a stomach and more a combination of chemistry lab and blast furnace. Dian can gain sustenance from even inorganic matter. Though it's probably best not to ask her what it tastes like...)

Money: None. Dian will occasionally save up for something she really wants, but most of the time, were you to give her gold, she'd eat it. (When you consider where her scale colour comes from, you can probably understand why.)

Gear:
    • Focus (mounted on a cheap silver Lariat necklace. Long enough to reach down to the vicinity of her human form's waist, and chosen specifically because it was long enough to fit comfortably around her draconic neck as well.)
    • Training Shadow
    • Longbow
    • Quarterstaff
    • Leather Armor
    • Backpack

Spoiler: Background
    Show

Concept and Background
    • A half-breed Seer and Arbiter Dragon, who inherited the signature ability of both breeds.
    • A natural (uncontrollable) telepath, the side effects of which gives her an aversion to physical contact with others.
    • Desperately wants to free her people (or at least herself) from being humanity's thralls.
    • Raised by a human master after humans found her egg. She doesn't know what happened to her parents, though considering her egg was on Illnora, she's got doubts that any news she did get would be good news.
    • Forced into using her telepathy regularly as a child, leading to her current dislike for socialising.

Goals
    • Learn the magic behind the dragon brands. Dian's contribution to the future of her people will, hopefully, be to find a way to remove their bindings, even without humanity's co-operation.
    • Reach Draconia. Unlike (most?) of the others, Dian was raised in Illnora, and dreams of reaching her people... under her own power... and as her own woman. That last one's looking like an issue, at least for the immediate future...

Secrets
    • Known - Telepathy. Known to Dian and both her past and present Masters (the first forced her to admit it - while she admitted it to Bairn after her bought her her gloves. Whether he'd known beforehand or he'd just observed how much she hated touching people Dian doesn't know.)
    • Unknown - Dian's Ancestry. She's never met either parent, nor has she been exposed to enough draconic history to identify herself as an Arbiter/Seer crossbreed. (Due to the near-extinction of the Arbiters, and the reclusive nature of the Seers, the last known crossbreed was a *long* time ago.

People
    • Friendly - Talmar Di'Vichi, the 'legitimate merchant' who killed her first Master. Very much a scoundrel by human standards, but got along well with Dian because his opinion of humanity wasn't any better than his opinion of dragonkind. (That is, he would happily cheat and swindle both races.) She appreciates the honesty of his thoughts. Not enough to actually tell him she's telepathic, true, but then he's not the sort of person you should trust, even if you do like him.
    • Friendly - Master Bairn
    • Unfriendly - Xia'zethern, slave of the same master as Dian. She'd been angling to get the 'domestic' duties Dian kept getting (after all, even Dragons probably don't want to be stuck down a mine and forgotten...), but Dian won out every time. She doesn't know Dian's telepathic, so she doesn't know why it happened, and instead assumed she was doing something 'underhanded' to grab the most comfortable duties for herself. With their Master's assassination, his dragons were all sold off at market - and Xian and Dian were split up at that time. But Xian blaming Dian for her decade stuck doing heavy labour (and any abuses suffered at the hands of her new master, whoever it was...) isn't something that'll be going away anytime soon...

Memories
    • Business Deals. Many of them. Where her old master used to dress her up in a maid's outfit and make her serve refreshments, so she could 'accidentally' brush the other party's skin with her fingertips. Net result: He made out like a bandit thanks to her telepathy, and she got to spend her formative years reading the minds of people who, by and large, had less than complimentary opinions of dragons in general and her in particular.
    • Her first Master's death. Talmar had come to visit, and she was asked to check if the man was here to earn money. So she did. What she found was that he was... and that he'd made a deal to get it via poisoning said master. She only reported the first part - she wasn't under orders to look for assassination attempts, after all, was she? And the hardest part was restraining the urge to laugh until after he'd finished dying...
    • Master Bairn buying her from her previous master's estate. Master Bairn had not only been the first human to display actual altruism towards her during this - buying her her gloves after noticing how uncomfortable she was being touched by others - but even after she admitted to her telepathy, still made no attempt to exploit it. For this he'd have her loyalty, even if it wasn't magically compelled.

Huh, I was thinking of the focus like a D&D Holy symbol, just a piece of something-or-other you hold while casting. Do I need to pick what Dian's is?

Speech colour: Golden Rod, please!
    Last edited by whoiam; 2016-11-09 at 08:31 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Name: Aurora

Appearance (Human Form/Dragon Form): Human form - A beautiful young looking woman, fine boned features with silver back length hair. she is an average height of 5'7 and she is stronger then she looks, which her looks like not much.

Her dragon form is a beautiful silver, graceful and elegant. She is a bit smaller for a female her age, but when she is in the air you would think she was born there. She is one of the quickest and most agile in the air and a very skilled hunter for it.

Strengths: First and foremost she is amazing at flying and loves to spend as much time as she can in the air. She is a great hunter and a good person at heart. She loves to watch and is very curious about the world around her and willing to try anything. She also tries to be optimistic about things going on.
    Weaknesses: She can be very impulsive, usually leaping before thinking, she can be aggressive and abrasive , and arrogant, she knows she is the best flier shes met ,

Fighting Style: She fights, if she has to, by hit and run attacks, if she can make a quick attack that will make someone bleed without getting hurt herself, she will for it will eventually weaken them and she will win,
    Known Spells: None

Gear: Just clothing, she prefers nice dresses depending on whats going on, or shirt and pants,

Background:<Include Character Background Story, Any important Personality traits, Goals, Aspirations, etc.>

She hopes to bring dragons back to the world and end their exile, or build up their world where they can support themselves, she doesn't want to have a world where people, especially her people live in slavery, she wants to learn new things and experience the world, to be free and to fly.

Spoiler: New character sheet
    Show
    Name: Aurora
    Clan: Whisper Wind

Appearance (Human Form/Dragon Form): Human form - A beautiful young looking woman, fine boned features with silver back length hair. she is an average height of 5'7 and she is stronger then she looks, which her looks like not much.

Her dragon form is a beautiful silver, graceful and elegant. She is a bit smaller for a female her age, but when she is in the air you would think she was born there. She is one of the quickest and most agile in the air and a very skilled hunter for it.

Stats:

Strength: 3
    Agility: 6
    Endurance: 3
    Intelligence: 3
    Willpower: 3

Strengths: First and foremost she is amazing at flying and loves to spend as much time as she can in the air. She is a great hunter and a good person at heart. She loves to watch and is very curious about the world around her and willing to try anything. She also tries to be optimistic about things going on.
    Weaknesses: She can be very impulsive, usually leaping before thinking, she can be aggressive and abrasive , and arrogant, she knows she is the best flier shes met ,

Fighting Proficiency (Human Form): She knows how to fight with the basic Tsu Mar martial arts, while also being well taken with the curved blade she carries as well as being a skilled archer.
    Fighting Style: She fights, if she has to, by hit and run attacks, if she can make a quick attack that will make someone bleed without getting hurt herself, she will for it will eventually weaken them and she will win,
    Known Spells: Control of wind, Aurora can control the air around her to a degree, changing its direction or speed, this was the first spell she learned and she uses to help her fly as well as guide arrow and other things, shes been working on trying to strengthen it as it works well with her natural abilities and desires.

Minor Healing, The second thing she worked on was getting the ability to heal, when Drix stabbed her she decided that being wounded in this world could be very deadly, and learning to fix wounds for herself and possibly others would be a good skill to have, and its something she wants to progress to gaining the ability to heal serious wounds beyond minor cuts, and maybe even regrow limbs.

Create Fire: A small flame appears in the palm of your hand, providing light within a 10 ft radius. It does not hurt you, although other objects or people who touch the flames may get singed, burned, or catch fire. The flame on your palm cannot be extinguished by water or wind, but only by magic. Objects that are set on fire by this small flame burn normally, and can be extinguished by normal means.

Special Abilities: She is naturally skilled and graceful in the air, and is one of the best fliers that anyone has seen.

Money: She has a few coins given to her as sort of an allowance.
    Gear: Her focus is a small necklace that Drix gave to her, it has minor magic that keeps it sticking to her scales, its a small little crest that looks like a small coat of arms. She also has the training shadow that first taught her how to fight in human form, as well as a longbow that their master gave to her, as well as a longsword though with a more curved slashing blade designed to match her quick in and out fighting style. She has some unrestrictive leather armor as well as a few other odds and ends that caught her eyes, little trinkets that she has collected over the time she has been here.

Background: She hopes to bring dragons back to the world and end their exile, or build up their world where they can support themselves, she doesn't want to have a world where people, especially her people live in slavery, she wants to learn new things and experience the world, to be free and to fly. She learned since being captured that Bairn has interesting ideas that aligns with both hers and Drix's ideals. She has come to respect him to a degree, and perhaps even trust him. She understands why Drix held him in high reguard when they first met and counts him as a possible ally for her future plans. Drix spoke to her and they started laying plans for a Dragon colony on the main lands, where they will have food and can survive. With this in mind, she works as hard as she can to learn magics, knowing that will be what allows them both to eventaully be free of the humans and no longer be prisoners. Even though Bairns is better then most, they are still prisoners. She learned how to use her human body to great effect, and learned why they are so deadly and adaptable, she has a renewed sense of purpose and learned to fight with a blade and her limbs for that reason.
    Last edited by Ilena; 2016-10-04 at 08:48 AM.
    We of the unicorn clan are the best horsemen in the land,our horses are our lives,we live as one,we fight as one,we die as one.

We are all awesome, each and every one of us, no matter who or what we are. Except those people who want to make other people feel bad ... them .. not so much!

"Say that our lives are measured not by gain but by giving."
    —The Forestmaster, Dragons of Autumn Twilight
    Spoiler
    Show

Hugs For The Hug God! Cuddles For The Cuddle Throne!!!! - Jacklu

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

Name: Greg'owrath (Gregor)
    Clan: Nightshade

Appearance (Human Form/Dragon Form): Gregor is tall and decently-proportioned as a human, with short black hair and a goatee. He prefers dark blue tunics and pants, along with leather gloves and work boots. He keeps himself clean and fit but is not unduly vain.

Gregor is black-scaled with dark blue accents and reddish-yellow eyes as a dragon. Like most of his clan, he possess a thin and serpentine form that is lithe and nimble but relatively weak by draconic standards. In both forms, he seems to possess a perpetual brooding look on his face.

Breath Weapons: Lightning, Poisonous Gas

Stats:
    Strength: 3
    Agility: 5
    Endurance: 2
    Intelligence: 6
    Willpower: 2

Strengths: Fast, slippery, and cunning, Gregor thinks quickly on his feet and can improvise a plan on a moment's notice.

Weaknesses: His ambitions outstrip his actual abilities, and he has a tendency to think in the short-term.

Fighting Proficiency (Human Form): Gregor fights in melee with a long two-handed glaive, the better to keep his enemies at a distance. From range, he uses a repeating crossbow he modified personally, frequently topping the bolts with poison.

Fighting Style: Never having been the strongest or most durable of dragons, Gregor prefers to take his opponents unawares. Barring that, he values his own skin most of all and keeps distance as best he can manage.

Known Spells: Gregor is able to conjure quickly fading party tricks and induce small effects with petty magic, such as the ability to color, clean, or dirty up an item. True to how he was raised, he also knows how to create a two-way conversation of whispers with anyone he can see with the naked eye.

Special Abilities:

Shroud of Shadows: A lifetime of lurking has gifted Gregor with a certain affinity for shadows and darkness. He can blend into them more than nature alone should allow even in human form.

Mechanical Knack: Gregor evidences a degree of affinity for mechanical items that he has yet to fully explore. He has an almost intuitive grasp of the principles and intricacies of machine-work.

Money: He'd have as much as he could gather. He needs it for his designs, after all.

Gear: Focus, Training Shadow, Glaive, Repeating Crossbow, Leather Armor, Basic Mechanical Parts, Tomes of Machinery, Alchemical Engineering Set

Spoiler: 10 Minute Background
    Show

Spoiler: Five Things About Gregor
    Show
    1) As a Nightshade, he is smaller and weaker than the other dragons.
    2) He has dreams of becoming a mighty dragon king like in the days of old.
    3) He has a talent and appreciation for machinery rare amongst his kind, and wishes to use it in order to make up the physical differential between himself and the other dragons.
    4) He doesn't mind being on the human world as much as many others do - in fact, it's an opportunity for him.
    5) He wouldn't be averse to overturning the current slave system, but to be honest it isn't his first priority.

Spoiler: Two Goals For Gregor
    Show
    1) I'd like to see him figure out some way, ideally combined magic and machinery, to match or even exceed the difference in size and strength between him and more physically powerful dragon clans.

2) Longer-term, I'd like to see him kick of a sort of magictech industrial revolution.

Spoiler: Two Secrets About Gregor
    Show
    1) Gregor has, in the past, inadvertently helped in the oppression of other dragons by desgining a containment apparatus intended to be used on his own most recalcitrant draconic enemies. He thought he worked in secret, but his "owner" at the time was aware of his work and seized the prototype as soon as it was completely. Related designs have since helped to imprison and ground the most unruly dragons that are still too valuable to be killed. He is aware of this but ashamed of it, and will not discuss or admit to any role in the whole incident. He occasionally flinches when he sees a dragon harness with elements of his design.

2) Unknown to himself, Gregor is actually something of a hybrid. His parents are both Nightshades, but his (maternal) grandfather is a Whisper Wind. He abandoned his young daughter at the tender age of 5 - young enough that she bears little memory of him beyond a vague feeling of shame and disgust. It was from this connection that Gregor inherited lightning breath in addition to his ability to spew clouds of poison gas. What his extra breath weapon means for him is ultimately unknown to him, as are the whereabouts of his grandfather.

Spoiler: Three People Tied to Gregor
    Show
    1) Gregor's maternal grandfather, Arnesexithrax (Arnes), is still alive. In fact, he has risen to a position of high prestige among the Wind Whisper clan, and has all but forgotten his youthful dalliance with a lovely female Nightshade. If he were aware that his bastard offspring still lived and had born a child of her own, he would be... less than pleased. Especially considering he has a legitimate mate of his own clan and several other children by now.

2) Ver'sora (Vera), Gregor's younger sister. Barely out of her wyrmling years by the time Gregor left Draconia, she had always looked up to her elder brother. As the two were unusually close for dragon siblings, he allowed her to lair with him for a time when their parents finally ejected her from their own caves. When he left for the world of men, she remained behind in his old home - though, not for long. The somewhat naive dragon eventually decided to come herself, but was subsequently enslaved. Gregor would not be pleased to find out.

3) Genex, a human artificer in the employ of one of Gregor's old masters. Elderly, eccentric, and perhaps mildly insane, the human was one of the few who recognized and genuinely appreciated Gregor's talent for the mechanical. He taught the young dragon much of what he needed to get started, and always treated him kindly. When fate eventually parted them, Gregor was genuinely sad to see the old man go.

Spoiler: Three Memories Of Gregor
    Show
    1) Gregor remembers the first time he ever worked with a mechanical device. It wasn't grand, simply an old broken cargo elevator once used to transport dragons from the surface to a holding pen deep underground. Long since worn down and broken, he tinkered with the rusted gears just out of boredom. Imagine his surprise when he not only quickly figured it out, but even restored the machine to partial functionality in only a few days.

2) He remembers the time he accidentally gave humans another tool for keeping dragons in check. The pride he felt in his designs as he meticulously tailored the restraints to counter almost any possible movement a dragon could make. The shock when he saw his owner looking over his hidden artifice. The shame he feels whenever elements of that design appear in one of many dragon-binding machines.

3) He also remembers the first time he ate freely in the human world. After a lifetime of thin pickings and the occasional temptation towards cannibalism, gorging himself on the flesh of lesser creatures without worry or restraint is not a feeling he'll soon forget.

He'll be speaking in Deep Green.
    Last edited by Henry the 57th; 2016-08-23 at 12:14 PM.
    "All generalizations are false."
    -Me

Please remeber the impotence of poofreading everything you right.

11. - Top - End - #11

Quote Originally Posted by Icilia View Post
    Just dumping a character sheet post here.

As a side note, I haven't actually picked my focus for magic. I was wondering if I could possibly have blood be my focus? I'd need to be in direct contact with a fresh source of blood. Skin contact would not be enough. My benefit is that I could use others blood to cast. I was going to go with the idea that my character doesn't have the greatest capacity to use mana, so has to pull it out of people to use effectively. I do plan to sculpt my spells in the future around the idea of blood casting.
    A focus is kinda like a wand from Harry Potter or Gandalf's staff... its a specific physical object bonded to the person who created it, that enables you to use magic efficiently. You must either be holding or wearing the item in order to cast a spell. If the focus is removed from your person, or gets destroyed, you will find it extremely difficult to cast spells... at least until you get your focus back, or manage to create a new one. Each focus is attuned specifically to the user, and only they can use said focus.

A focus is typically a staff, ring, wand, necklace, or weapon you can hold in your hands, but it can be anything really... so long as you can wear it or hold it regularly. An ordinary household spoon could theoretically be a wizards focus, but that is rarely seen. Either way, a focus typically is ornately made, and typically has at least some precious metals built into at least part of it. In addition, there is almost always some kind of jewel set into it which you can use to store mana. The reason this is so is because gemstones and precious metals like gold, silver, & bronze can conduct magic... almost like electricity.

Casting spells without a focus is possible for experienced magic users, but for inexperienced casters like your characters it is pretty much impossible to do.

With that being said, using blood as a focus doesn't really work, because fresh blood would wear out in a quick period of time. Plus each time you draw blood, it counts as a separate object, meaning you would have to attune fresh blood to you each time you wished to cast a spell... only for the blood to become ineffective in a matter of hours once it dries. Attuning a focus to you is time consuming, so it is best used on a durable object that can last a long time.

Blood magic in general is a trope that I kinda like... particularly for evil casters... however, it doesn't seem to fit very well with the system of magic I have established. No matter how I tried to fit it in, it just never seemed to click. Besides, I tend to like not making magic overly complicated, and adding blood magic would add a whole list of additional complications. Specific rituals and spells might need blood to cast properly, but other than that...

Quote Originally Posted by whoiam View Post

Huh, I was thinking of the focus like a D&D Holy symbol, just a piece of something-or-other you hold while casting. Do I need to pick what Dian's is?

Speech colour: Golden Rod, please!
    Closer to the Arcane Focus option for Wizards in Pathfinder, but a good comparison none the less.

Oh, and yes, you do need to pick what Dian's focus is. Every needs to come up with a focus if they haven't already. Like I said, the general rule of thumb for what a focus should be is: Ring, Staff, Hand-held weapon such as a dagger or sword, wand, or Necklace... or failing that, anything that can be worn on your hands, head, or neck.

Quote Originally Posted by Crixon View Post
    -Snip-
    You can delete the old character sheet Crixon. The new one is almost exactly the same, just with a few small changes. Also, I may know what color you would choose, but the others don't.
    Last edited by Durzan; 2016-08-23 at 12:01 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Name: Morgawr Glek

Appearance (human): Morgawr is a short, somewhat overweight human with brown hair that resists all attempts to have it lie evenly unless forced into a solid mass. He develops severe myopia in this form, and due to the difficulty with keeping glasses as a dragon he only becomes human at home or when forced.
    Appearance (Dragon). Morgawr is a deep red-brown color. Although not actually an athletic dragon, his short legs and neck along with his unusually long and spiky scales make it look like he is. Morgawr was summoned at the end of his Juvenile stage and is now starting his growth spurt to adulthood.

Breath Weapons : acid. Very thick acid. In addition to it coming out as an opaque fog Morgawr salivates a black paste-like acid that shines like an oil spill.

Stats:
    strength 3
    agility 1
    endurance 3
    intelligence 6
    willpower 6
    magic 1

Strengths : Studies constantly and effectively. Excellent cook. Any game you can be good at, he's good at. His breath weapon is seemingly inexhaustible.
    Weaknesses : Proud even for a dragon. Holds onto grudges. Emotionally unstable. Somehow manages to mess up anything he works on.

Fighting Style : He has good technique, but is overly restrained. He has never had to fight seriously.

Known Spells : Morgawr has a good head for magic theory but can barely cast an actual spell to save his life. create flame.

Gear : Morgawr goes around in his pajamas

Background : When the Dragons lost their magic and were exiled the Razor Scale clan took it harder than most. Previously the most combat focused of the clans, they suddenly found themselves with no one to fight and no outlets for the extreme aggression they instinctively developed when faced with adversity. As a coping mechanism they isolated themselves from other clans and adopted a philosophy of enforced philosophical moderation intermixed with an elaborate schedule of recreational competitions. Morgawr took exceptionally well to the competitions, but never mastered moderation. To this effect his unusually potent breath attack harmed him more than it aided him; since using it posed a serious risk even to his peers, Morgawr had to be excluded from any activities tangentially related to combat (in another tribe he might have simply been forbidden to use his breath, but the Razor Scale honestly never considered the possibility of a dragon holding back in a contest). While being technically to powerful to fight have Morgawr a sort of prestige, it isolated him and left him with far fewer outlets with which to ground himself. Throwing himself into studying, games, and practical skills by simple default, he grew very skilled at all of the above he gradually began to think of himself as simply being better than everyone else at everything.

Morgawr will use​ saddle brown
    Last edited by Mabn; 2016-10-05 at 01:43 AM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Well, in that case, I will have Dian's focus be her long, silver necklace, with a Ruby set as the centerpiece and mana store.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Durzan View Post
    Oh, and yes, you do need to pick what Dian's focus is. Every needs to come up with a focus if they haven't already. Like I said, the general rule of thumb for what a focus should be is: Ring, Staff, Hand-held weapon such as a dagger or sword, wand, or Necklace... or failing that, anything that can be worn on your hands, head, or neck.
    If that's the case I think Gregor will be taking a small collapsible black iron staff of his own design. It can expand in segment to roughly an average man's chest height or collapse to maybe a foot long. At one end are four prongs holding a small orb of white crystal.

Modified Saruman staff, in other words.
    "All generalizations are false."
    -Me

Please remeber the impotence of poofreading everything you right.

15. - Top - End - #15

Okay everyone, I know most of you are probably wondering why the game hasn't started yet...

I have two reasons:

1. I'm currently on an academic tour of England, and as such, am not going to be posting all that often for the next 3 or so weeks.

2. I'm waiting for a 6th player, hoping that one will join, but it looks like that is not going to happen.

So be patient, I will try to have a post up sometime tonight.
    Last edited by Durzan; 2016-08-26 at 06:08 AM.

16. - Top - End - #16

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...6#post21140386

Heres the link to the IC... Make sure to subscribe!

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

*holds up hand* Okay, I completely missed the start of the IC thread. I tend to rely on notification emails to keep up with such things... but I didn't get one for the last post. I think because I hadn't checked the forums between that post and the one before, so I only got notified about the first one :(

Anyway, the IC thread's in the bookmarks list now, where it should be

18. - Top - End - #18

Everyone doing alright?

19. - Top - End - #19

AssassinGuy

Doing fine thanks. Just rolling to for myself to get an idea on how my next post goes

Endurance: (1d6)[5] +4 against (1d6)[2] +6 strength
    Willpower: (1d6)[6] +2 against a 5

20. - Top - End - #20

do you think I should make a dice thread for us to use?

21. - Top - End - #21

AssassinGuy

Your choice on the dice roller thread. As a note Durzan, I am happy to go with whatever actions Bairn feels is in order for Yi's outburst.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Even if that includes 'ordering Dian to heal his hand'?

Likewise, I'm not too bothered either way about a dice roller thread.

23. - Top - End - #23

Link for the Dice rolling thread added to the bottom of the OP.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Aurora can also heal , and hey, if you dont want to be seen as a brute dont punch holes in walls :D
    We of the unicorn clan are the best horsemen in the land,our horses are our lives,we live as one,we fight as one,we die as one.

We are all awesome, each and every one of us, no matter who or what we are. Except those people who want to make other people feel bad ... them .. not so much!

"Say that our lives are measured not by gain but by giving."
    —The Forestmaster, Dragons of Autumn Twilight
    Spoiler
    Show

Hugs For The Hug God! Cuddles For The Cuddle Throne!!!! - Jacklu

25. - Top - End - #25

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Crixon View Post
    Aurora can also heal , and hey, if you dont want to be seen as a brute dont punch holes in walls :D
    Tell that to a dragon with a low int xD

26. - Top - End - #26

Crixon... make a magic check against a difficulty of 5. You and the other dragons are still new to magic, so even simplest of spells can be hard to cast. Healing is also one of the more difficult magical arts, due to all the complexities of dealing with anatomy.

So, here are specifics on the roll: roll 1d6+2 (You have a range of 3-8), and compare it to the difficulty of 5. A roll of 5 or higher indicates Aurora is successful in casting this spell, healing the surface of the scratches. If your roll a 7 or higher, then the spell is a complete success, and Yi's injury will be completely mended.

A roll of less than 5 means she makes a mistake and the spell fails... instead it does just about anything but the intended effect, although how severe the failed spell will never exceed the power of the intended spell. Effects can range from the spell simply fizzling, to literally blowing up in the caster's face. As you can see, this is one reason why Magic is dangerous.

Dice Thread Link: Dragon Master Dice Thread

Do note that I am still working on the process of determining difficulty.

27. - Top - End - #27

New post is up.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

So, if I've read this correctly:
    Yi is the only one of the Dragons that needs to roll, because none of the checks require more than a roll of 4, and every other dragon can hit a 4 on an int check on a roll of 1+.
    Dian probably auto-succeeds as well (on top of not being able to fail the roll), since this is a recall test and she's got a perfect memory.

Sound about right?

29. - Top - End - #29

yep... although I am still trying to figure out what the difficulties should be. I might go back and bump the difficulties up a tad, as there should be a chance of failure for just about everyone, even if it is a small one. I'm used to DCs in a d20 system, which is already calculated by the game. Here I only have my intuition. note to self: Magic checks are the only ones that should be this low.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

I'd suggest using a bigger die for the check rolls, then. The problem with rolling d6s against stats rated from 1-6 is that there's very little overlap between 'tough enough to challenge a specialist' and 'easy enough to be possible for anyone else'.

'Strongest' Dragon 'Weakest' Dragon Die Size Difficulty range where any dragon could succeed or fail
    6 1 1d6 --
    6 2 1d6 8
    6 1 2d6 9 - 13
    6 1 1d10 8 - 11
    6 1 2d10 9 - 21
    6 1 1d20 8 - 21