New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 49 of 50 FirstFirst ... 24394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,441 to 1,470 of 1477
  1. - Top - End - #1441
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: [BiTPR2] Renewed Revolution: Spirit World V

"You sound like a broken record..." The doctor sighs. "Even if he were, it's not his sole responsibility. The only reason the Cross is even at the Sanctuary is because of the trust that the other Accord dignataries place in him. He would not betray that trust."
    The Void, the Cold Steel, the Just Sword courtesy of Prime32.

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

I met a girl with a really pensive look. I walk up to her, put a fifty cent coin in her hand, "For your thoughts. I know the going rate is supposed to be one, but I figure you play hardball."

She gave it back, "Keep it. Pretty sure a guy with your charm can find a way to have them for free anyway."

2. - Top - End - #1442
    Colossus in the Playground

"The Dead Cross is an artifact that gives mortals the power to utterly destroy souls. It's an evil thing that is valued only by a group of insane, genocidal religious fanatics who actively want to destroy this world and all souls but their own. If I didn't need it on the off chance that it could help my Master, I'd be petitioning to destroy it instead of merely accessing it, and I assure you that if it came into my possession I'd destroy it the second my Master was safe, or, if it couldn't help me protect her, as soon as I verified it that it was useless to me, on the grounds that such a thing should not be allowed to exist."

"My understanding is that the signatories of the Accord consist of Las Noches, Soul Society, and the Sanctuary. I doubt that either would be particularly upset with the destruction of this artifact and the limitation to Quincy powers to existing Bloodlines. The only people who would care about it's destruction would be ZHE, and refusing t destroy the Cross on the grounds that it would upset a bunch of genocidal maniacs would be maddeningly stupid."

"Regardless, I have no intent to offend Las Noches or Soul Society at this time. If I had anything they'd be willing to trade for the cross, I would. I just want brief access to the Cross. If no one is willing to let me destroy it then I'll just leave it be after I examine it and, if it's capable of helping my master, doing what I need to. I'm willing to consent to brief contact under supervision. But I have to try everything I can to save my Master."

"Now, you didn't answer my question. Is there a way of contacting Kuzunoha Shiki XLV."
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

3. - Top - End - #1443
    Orc in the Playground

"Not one that is available to either of us at this time, no.

I get that you want to save your master. I really, really do. But your fixation on this artifact is blinding you to other possibilities. Cooperation with us on other levels, for one. The Shinigami have access to an artifact that can completely destroy souls too - it's called the Soukyoku, they use it to eliminate extremely dangerous criminals from the cycle of reincarnation altogether.

There's nothing in the Cross that suggests it can actually reunite your master's soul with her body. Our Grandmaster is unreachable at this time. I brought you here to try and plead your case to Lady Kuzunoha in good faith - even if I tell you there is a near-zero chance of you succeeding.

Do you really want to ask her, or not?"

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

I met a girl with a really pensive look. I walk up to her, put a fifty cent coin in her hand, "For your thoughts. I know the going rate is supposed to be one, but I figure you play hardball."

She gave it back, "Keep it. Pretty sure a guy with your charm can find a way to have them for free anyway."

4. - Top - End - #1444

"Yes... It's just a thought that had occurred to me... So, how does one go about this, anyway?"
    Last edited by Rater202; 2019-04-29 at 01:01 AM.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

5. - Top - End - #1445
    Orc in the Playground

"For one, take a seat, take a deep breath, and close your eyes."

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #1446

Shin-Tan Ubai follows those instructions exactly.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

7. - Top - End - #1447
    Orc in the Playground

She suddenly feels very small.

Actually, let us correct that. She might now know how a bacterium feels in terms of size, if bacteria could think.

She stares into a pair of fox eyes each the size of the moon - as seen at its biggest and brightest.

Nothing is said.

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #1448

"Lady Kuzunoha, I presume?"

Shin-Tan Ubai, who, if this is mental probably resembles her true self--Sarah in Black and white with Hollow eyes.

She is respectful, but she's not afraid of an ancient spirit.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

9. - Top - End - #1449
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kuroimaken View Post
    [Command Division]

"Not as a priority, no, though the subject of Shen Yi was touched upon briefly. His exile as well as that of his crime family is detailed in the activity dossiers I provided to every member of the Royal Guard upon your arrival.

The Hell denizen is in custody. The exile is not, since obviously if he were meant to be a prisoner he wouldn't be an exile in the first place. Double jeopardy and all that."

[The Bar]

"What I'm told, and take this with a grain of salt, is that the souls inside of an Arrancar usually have a dominant personality come out on top when one of them is formed. I'm not sure if they get to remember what the other souls did before the Arrancar becomes what he or she is. But if they do, their head must be an absolute and total mess."

Somewhere in Hell, Sarah probably sneezes.

[Combat Division HQ]

"I see. I take it the potentially hostile territory designation has to do with the assault we suffered from Felicia upon arrival, then.

And to be honest, I'm honored Naito considers me trustworthy enough to be in that list."
    Shinji can't help but smile a little.

"Let me introduce the two of you. This is Captain Hirako Masaru, head of the Combat Division of Gotei. Masaru-san, this is Aoi-san. She's Naito's sister. Excuse her speech pattern - her mind is that of a learning intelligence and I'm certain casual conversation is not very high on her protocol list."
    Quote Originally Posted by Dorizzit View Post
    [Combat Division]

"False. The Soul Society is collectively classified as Type-3 Potential Threat."

She looks at Masaru and smiles, an expression that is...definitely off, but looks genuine. She bows.

"I am pleased to make your acquaintance."
    [Command Division]

Masamune pursed his lips in thought for a moment, then spoke.

"Let us speak to this prisoner. Then we can discuss the situation in more detail."

He moves off almost without waiting for Koutarou.
    ================================================

[The Bar]

"Right, but, like....are they still a conglomerate? Or are they actually one big, fused soul? Because...look, there's a treaty. I get it. I'm starting to wrap my head around it...but you know, if even the Arrancar made from the big, nasty, powerful Hollow-types are actually a bag of hundreds to thousands of souls...isn't the most ethical thing to purify them? To release those trapped souls? But...if they're one soul, a merge being...I guess at that point so long as they aren't hunting non-Hollows, it's way different. Then it's just the 1 Hollow. Person. Being."

He sighs, his eyes closing for a long blink.

"Maybe that's all over my head, Teach. I dunno. I just hate the thought of someone being trapped, helpless, inside a Hollow, yeah?"
    ================================================== ===
    [Combat Division]

Masaru continues to observe for a moment as the "young master" and the unusual girl speak.

"You will have to forgive me, Young Master Shinji, I am not actually familiar with what you mean by "learning intelligence"? It's no trouble, though. We meet all types here in Soul Society. Some of the Engineers get a bit odd."

He turns to Aoi and gives her a respectful bow in turn.

"I am please to make your acquaintance as well. May I ask you a question or two?"

If she accepts, he will politely continue.

"May I first ask what, in at least broad strokes, are your various types and levels of Threats? Secondly, may I ask how you derived Soul Society's Threat ranking in particular?"
    BitPRR Characters: Entries Masaru, Chuck, Thomas, Turiel, and Masamune

10. - Top - End - #1450
    Orc in the Playground

[Command Division]

"One moment. I'll send a Jigokuchou for Captain Hishikawa to accompany us."

Before Koutarou can even get that far, though, he receives a Jigokuchou himself, which causes him to frown for a moment.

"Huh. My apologies. It seems he's waiting outside Command HQ for us. Sometimes I forget how watchful Internal Security can be."

[The bar]

"That's a really complex question, Chuck, and it's got no simple answer I can give you. I am not exactly a scholar of the subject. For the Shinigami, I'm sure it's just as complicated, but not for the same reasons.

If you think about it, whether they're one soul made up of millions of others as a single being, or millions of souls dominated by another, the end result is that you have the same 'weight' of souls, as it were. Whether they get eaten by other Hollows, or they die in combat, or something else entirely, those Hollows eventually meet their end. But that can take centuries, eons even. And in the meantime, the cycle of reincarnation is that much poorer for lacking that 'weight' to give new lives to. Here's one that's really going to blow your mind: the human population has exploded in numbers since the onset of the 20th century, while child mortality rate has plummeted compared to what it used to be. And each of those humans has a soul, of course. The rate of birth is still bigger than the rate of death, though, and we know that some souls move on to Soul Society while others straight-up reincarnate. And then there's the fact the Pluses here in Soul Society can also have children, and those children also enter the cycle, and that's just on the human end, I'm not considering animals here. At which point you have to ask yourself: are new souls born to compensate for this growth, or are we bound to eventually reach a point where the capacity for new birth is stoppered by the lack of souls to furnish new life with?

But back to your question: the safest way to know for sure would be to ask an Arrancar. I hear tell that the Arrancar at Las Noches have been able to make regular Hollows lose the impulse for eating other souls. At that point, you gotta ask yourself: if the basis for the ethics of purifying a Hollow is its impulse to eat other souls, and it loses that... have we even been ethical all along?"

[Command Division]

"Well, it's a bit difficult to explain, but... Shinigami have computers, right? Imagine a computer that can think for itself. To be able to think, it first must learn. And to learn, it must be exposed to new experiences. The common term for that situation is 'artificial intelligence', but somehow I don't think that applies to Aoi-san, because that implies the intelligence itself - the ability to learn itself - is man-made.

Aoi-san here may be closer to what Shinigami term 'modified souls', but I think that terming her 'artificial' somehow diminishes the value of her life, and I cannot accept that. In a sense, she was born of my friend Tetsuhiko Naito. And I value her existence a bit too much to compare her to a machine like a computer."

[???]

It's pointless to remind her that she should be.

"Indeed. You have questions for me. Why should I answer them?"

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #1451

"Kuzunoha Shiki XLV entrusted you with an artifact that has no rightful owner unless you count the Religious Fanatics who found it and abuse its power in a quest of genocide. I have learned that this artifact can transform souls, mend maladies o the spirit and body, bestow power upon the healthy, and can even recreate destroyed souls and raise the dead. My beloved Master's soul is damaged and unbalanced, and she has been consigned to Hell while still metaphysically alive by a flaw in the automatic process of Karma. I believe that the cross can facilitate the mending and balancing of her damaged soul and the restoration of herself to a state where the flaws of the cycle of Karma can't subject her to Injustice, but..."

"I'm a monster. I'm a madwoman. My Master will most likily never forgive me for the harm I inflicted on her in the process of saving her from far worse harm. I don't deserve her forgiveness. But I'll do anything to keep her safe, even if it damns me. Even if she hates me forever. You're a Mother, Lady Kuzunoha. A grandmother. Surely you can emphasize with the desire to protect your loved ones no matter what?"

"I won't lie to you. I don't have much to give. My preference would be to take the cross so that I might devour it once it's no longer useful--to use my power as a Soul-Cutting Sword to break it down to the smallest units of soul-stuff and Reiryoku and convert it to my own so that it's malicious power cannot be abused ever again, but I understand that this isn't your call, nor Kuzunoha Shiki XLV."

"A spirit as powerful as yourself can surely sense my nature--as the Sword Spirit drawn from a living human who has undergone hollowfication, I am a soul that is part of a greater soul, and my Master and I are a Three-Part soul. We are unbalanced. For now, we're stable, but Soul Suicide is inevitable. I give it perhaps a decade. Balancing my spirit will balance my Master's soul when I return to her, not only saving her from eradication by removing many, many... Morally reprehensible things, things I'm willing to do for my Master but... honestly would rather not... The moral cost..."

"Balancing my soul and, through it, my Master's, will take perhaps seconds, which I'm willing to do under any observation. I..."

"The Doctor who brought me to you claims there are other ways to save my Master. I lied to him. IT's power to raise the dead would be beneficial but is far from necessary--I have the means to remove her spirit from Hell. But I need to Balance My Master's soul before I can save her from a flawed cycle of Karma that would punish her for defending herself. I have little to give, but I will give everything I have to give and do anything in my power for just a few seconds with that cross. Practically speaking, it's my only hope."

Everything Shin-Tan Ubai says is the truth as she knows it.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

12. - Top - End - #1452
    Bugbear in the Playground

[Command Division]

Rin silently follows Masamune, briefly fixing an intense stare on Koutarou as she turns towards the door.

[Combat Division]

At Shinji's explanation of Aoi's nature, the individual in question responds with her own thoughts.

"Artificial. Adjective. 'Made or produced by human beings rather than occurring naturally, especially as a copy of something natural.' Naito's nature may be questioned on an artificial/natural scale, but I am, by definition, body and mind, artificial. I am a copy of a copy of a human body, with a mind that is capable of abstract quantification and alteration using a structure based on the format of modern computer code."

When Masaru asks his own questions, Aoi turns to him.

"Of course. There are 6 threat categorizations: Immediate, Extant, Potential, Low Concern, Unknown, and Solved. Connected to those 6, there are 18 further sub-classifications..."

It looks like "broad strokes" is a bit too nuanced of a concept for Aoi to easily grasp. She's going to be at this for a while unless someone stops her.
    Truly awesome Ark Tamaeus avatar by Bryn. Full size version here.

13. - Top - End - #1453
    Orc in the Playground

[Command Division]

While Koutarou finds himself a little troubled by being stared at, he chooses not to dwell on the subject as they make their way back out of the Command Division.

For once, Setsurou is actually donning his Captain's haori - impeccably styled, even.

"Greetings. I am Captain Hishikawa Setsurou, of the Internal Security Division. I will escort you to the area the prisoner is currently located at."

[Combat Division]

"Aoi-san, I think what Masaru-san wants to know most is why Soul Society is considered a threat in your assessment."

He doesn't remark about the artificiality of her nature. He knows she's being factual, but it's not his place to correct her on the importance of the self.

"You've spoken volumes, yet failed to present anything meaningful.

My question was not what your purpose is. I know that much from observation.

I also know of your deceit. It deeply displeases me. I despise deceitful creatures like none other upon this existence.

So I will ask you again. And do not fill my ears with unnecessary information. Give me the honest truth, and be grateful that smiting you where you stand would take me too much of an effort to be worth it.

Why should I give you the answers you seek?"

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #1454

"...Because the power in that Cross originates from the Royal Realm. I exist in this form becuase I awoke and devoured a fragment of the soul of a Hollow that tried to parasitize my Master. I have every reason to believe that this Fragment of soul originally belongs to the Soul King."

Shin-Tan Ubai genuinely believes this to be the case.

"I have previously stated that no-one is the rightful owner of the cross, but people are making claims regardless and of all the illegitimate claimants the soul King's pancreas within my Master's soul makes us the closest to its rightful owner, barring of course th eKing himself but he's a mutilated corpse in a gilded cage. Strictly speaking... I'm not asking for Cross. I'm merely asking for brief access so that I can do what I need to. I'll even pay for it: I'm certain that Kuzunoha Shiki XLV would appreciate the piece of Red Joker that I carry, for whatever reason."

"But, that's not why. You should give me the answers I seek, becuase while I am despicable, but my Master in Innocent. She doesn't deserve Hell, not when her only crime is defending herself. Not when her only crime is not feeling bad for actions that directly preserved her own life. Right now, she's only in Hell becuase It's the simplest and least harmful way to save her from it eternally. If there's even an ounce of compassion in your heart, Obaa-sama, you'll help me protect my Master from eternal damnation."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    To clairify.

It being a peice of the Soul King that allowed The Soul-eating Devil-Queen to cheat death in the manner she did was the original intent of the story.

However, KD had objections to us carrying in that bit of canon, bits of the King laying around as people or parts of souls.

Shin-Tan Ubai believes it to be a piece of the Soul King--she likes to think it's his pancreas--but whether it is or not depends on what we ultimately end up doing with the soul king so it's a Shrodingers Organ right now.

For the purposes of this story, however, the only things important are that it
    1. Is a fragment of Soul that can't be perfectly destroyed.
    2. That it allows for weird soul manipulation stuff to happen(Anim doing it was a fluke so Shin-Tan doesn't know how).
    3. It has something to do with higher states of spirit--not nessesarily the Soul King, but definitely something with the Royal Realm.
    4. IT has been around for at least a million years and holds memory of every soul it's been part of.
    Last edited by Rater202; 2019-04-29 at 04:46 PM.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

15. - Top - End - #1455

[Combat Division]

"Aoi-san, I think what Masaru-san wants to know most is why Soul Society is considered a threat in your assessment."

He doesn't remark about the artificiality of her nature. He knows she's being factual, but it's not his place to correct her on the importance of the self.
    Aoi stops talking, tilts her head slightly to the side for a moment, then finally straightens back up and nods.

"Understood. All existing ratings were assigned by Naito during the repair and reformatting of my data templates."

16. - Top - End - #1456
    Orc in the Playground

[Combat Division]

"So the short answer is probably 'ask Naito', then." Shinji concedes. "Sorry, Captain. I suppose that question will remain unanswered for the moment."

After all, Shinji can hypothesize all he wants, but it won't get him anywhere for the moment.

[???]

"Your attempt at reverence is noted, failed though it may be.

I can tell you this much. The Cross does not possess the history nor the powers that you presume. It is for all intents and purposes a man-made relic - one that has spent several centuries in the wrong hands. Whomsoever had rightful claim to it is long gone by now and so are their descendants. Even for the maniacs that worshipped it.

No... in your spirit I see an attempt at folly repeating itself from nearly an era ago. You believe yourself capable of creating an Ouken, don't you?"

The fox eyes narrow. In spite or scrutiny, it's hard to say.

"It would in many ways be the solution to your problems. If all else failed, why, young Sarah Smith could simply escape to the Royal Realm if need be. Possession of the Ouken confers to one a certain degree of immunity from the karmic system. You would try to sublimate the Cross in order to add the souls that compose it to your own. As part of Sarah's soul, independent though you are acting, you would then be able to join her and extricate her from Hell.

You would probably also lose yourself in the process. A grand gesture, all told, if horribly misinformed.

But since you have at least tried to appeal to my compassion, I will give you an alternative.

In the land of Hokkaido lies the resting place of one of my sisters. Much like myself, she left behind a relic of great power as her spirit sublimated to the Great Beyond. Its power dwarfs that of the Cross by several orders of magnitude - it will be more than enough for you to achieve your goal of saving your master if you know how to use it, unlike with that pitiable mockery of silver that you clearly do not.

And unlike the Cross, it is far more easily within your reach.

Neither I nor my grandson will ever relinquish the Cross to you, however. You should thank Tobioka copiously for this audience. I do not easily suffer the foolish, especially those made arrogant by mere age."

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #1457

"I'll admit, consuming the cross to forge the Oken was something I'd considered, but I can sense that my Master has, while in Hell, made her way to the desert of Shattered Souls in the Fourth Layer of Hell and, by driven by our hollowfied nature, eaten most of it. We have more than enough souls to forge the Oken. My interest in the cross at this point is its destruction and its capacity to balance my master's soul--Unless your Sister in Hokkaido is another source of the power of Quincy, it won't have any benefit to me beyond raw power, and at this junction raw power would only assist me inthe taking of what I want by force."

"Regardless, the cross in a product of mortal artifice. By the meteor from which it is forged landed on Earth over one million years ago--around the time that the Soul King was put in place and the physical and spiritual worlds forced apart. Of the four kinds of souls in existence, one can only exist when one takes power from the Cross. While the cross itself is of mortal hands. As one whose memory stretches back to that period, it really can only be spiritual in origin."

"Regardless, as I said to the doctor, there's a group of Menos Level Arrancar, not affiliated with Las Noches, who fully believe in the legends about the cross and it's power. They even claim the existence of a Quincy who possessed the power to raise the Dead who was supposed to fulfill some prophecy or other." Regardless, they want The Dead Cross and there's no doubt in my mind that they'd abduct your grandchild to coerce your hand... Or slaughter the entire population of this city out of spite if you still refuse. I have no doubt that one as powerful as yourself could repel them, but at what cost?"

Shin-tan believes what she's saying about the Sin Rostra. whether her assessment is accurate, however?

"I'll repeat: While my preferance would be for its destruction, I merely wish brief access so that I may balance my master's soul and will submit to any feat or cost within my power under any precautions you'd wish to take."

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

18. - Top - End - #1458
    Orc in the Playground

"Your capacity for needless repetition astounds. You should have been born a parrot.

Unlike you, I will not repeat myself. My sister's relic is more than capable of doing what you require, and unlike the Cross, its power cannot be abused.

As for the Hollows you speak of, if those are their only methods, they will learn what despair feels like as they are crushed underfoot.

If you repeat yourself a third time, I will have to smite you on principle. Choose your next words carefully.

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #1459

"...You claim to not suffer fools but yet you clearly take me for one, Obaa-sama. You claim that an artifact far more powerful than the Dead Cross exists and are just... Willing to let me take it? You claim that its power can't be abused, but a source of power so great is inherantly prone to abuse. Furthermore, someone more malevolent than myself would simply have taken an artifact so powerful and used it to come back and take the Cross by force if it were as powerful as you claim. I have no ability to verify the truthfulness of your words, and regardless, even if the artifact does exist unless the Artifact can bestow the powers of a Quincy and the unique properties of a Quincy soul, it will not serve to balance my Master's soul. You did not answer me when I asked about that."

"My habit of repetition is simply the result of others failing to understand me: Allow me to place it as plainly as I can. My Master's soul is unbalanced as it possesses the properties of a Hollow Soul, and Human Soul, and a Shinigami Soul. Human Souls and Hollow Souls can be combined, as they are opposites. Living humans can be bestowed the power of Shinigami becuase Shinigami are merely the awakened potential of dead human souls. Hollow Souls can be bestowed the properties of Shinigami Souls, but the resulting being can no longer accurately be called a Hollow and is functionally more Akin to the Shinigami than to Hollows. True hybrids of Shinigami and Hollow are outlawed in Soul Society, as attempts to do so inevitably result in either the total loss of Shinigami powers and total conversion into a Hollow or the utter destruction of the Shinigami's soul. Hear my words, and know this is true."

"My Master's soul is stable becuase she is metaphysically alive and she has the properties of a human soul. If she hadn't been damned on a technicallity, there would be plenty of time to find an alternate solution, but in order to save her from an Injust system of Karma I must make her a being who is simultaneously Flesh, Spirit, and Beyond Spirit."

"In order to do that, I need to balance her soul. Taking the power of the Dead Cross into one's self transforms a living soul into a Quincy Soul. The Quincy are the polar opposites of the Shinigami just asHollows are the Polar Opposites of humans. Taking the properties of a Quincy into myself would thus balance my existence, and by extension, my Master's when I return to her."

"The alternative... Sakura, the Shinigami whose memories I possess, was an expert in Kido. There's a certain Forbidden spell that can forcibly merge many souls into a dominant soul while retaining their properties. I really don't want to have to kill 100 Quincy to balance myself and my master. There's nothing I can say or do that would get me a brief moment with the cross?"

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

20. - Top - End - #1460
    Orc in the Playground

The eyes disappear.

Shin-Tan finds herself eating dirt, faceplanted into the ground and with the mother of all headaches.

Tobioka looks dispassionately at the result.

"Oh, it looks like she saw you fit to eat dirt. You seem to have come a long way."

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #1461

"Ya'lls made a powerful Enemy today, Foxy Grandma" the girl says in English.

She pushes herself up.

"Her ladyship is either a fool or a liar. She claims there's an artifact in Hokkaido that is at least one-thousand times as powerful as the cross that I may have, but the Cross can create an entire species, raise the dead, and according to legend usurp the Soul King and reshape the universe. If her artifact is as powerful as she says it is then one with it would be functionally omnipotent. I refuse to believe she'd let me take such a thing when she won't even let me have a moment with an allegedly much weaker artifact."

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

22. - Top - End - #1462
    Orc in the Playground

"That's because she's telling you half the story, as usual.

She's not lying. We know for a fact there's a Sesshouseki in Hokkaido, and if it belongs to one of Lady Kuzunoha's sisters, then it is functionally omnipotent as you say. It's also incredibly difficult to control.

From the looks of it, she'd rather test your character with something with too much power for you to access than hand you a present that you can effectively absorb. Lady Kuzunoha doesn't lie."

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #1463

"I needed the cross for a specific purpose. I don't care how powerful this... Sesshouseki is if it can't do one specific thing then it's completly useless to me! Lady Stupid-Fox-Head actively refused to tell me if it could do that one thing, which means it can't! She can send me on a wild goose chase for something I don't want or need but she can't give one three seconds with the only thing that can save my master!? How is that fair, Sensei!?"

That look in her eyes... She's...

Yeah, this needs to be defused soon.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

24. - Top - End - #1464
    Orc in the Playground

"You're jumping to conclusions.

It is unlikely Lady Kuzunoha would send you on a wild goose chase. Whatever it is you require, I'm certain that the Sesshouseki is more than capable of accomplishing it.

It is also useless to argue with someone like her. She knows you won't like it, but apparently that is a better alternative to her than you getting the Cross.

Consider that she's had at least ten times as much opportunity to learn of the world than you did."

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #1465
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

[Command Division]

"One moment. I'll send a Jigokuchou for Captain Hishikawa to accompany us."

Before Koutarou can even get that far, though, he receives a Jigokuchou himself, which causes him to frown for a moment.

"Huh. My apologies. It seems he's waiting outside Command HQ for us. Sometimes I forget how watchful Internal Security can be."

[The bar]

"That's a really complex question, Chuck, and it's got no simple answer I can give you. I am not exactly a scholar of the subject. For the Shinigami, I'm sure it's just as complicated, but not for the same reasons.

If you think about it, whether they're one soul made up of millions of others as a single being, or millions of souls dominated by another, the end result is that you have the same 'weight' of souls, as it were. Whether they get eaten by other Hollows, or they die in combat, or something else entirely, those Hollows eventually meet their end. But that can take centuries, eons even. And in the meantime, the cycle of reincarnation is that much poorer for lacking that 'weight' to give new lives to. Here's one that's really going to blow your mind: the human population has exploded in numbers since the onset of the 20th century, while child mortality rate has plummeted compared to what it used to be. And each of those humans has a soul, of course. The rate of birth is still bigger than the rate of death, though, and we know that some souls move on to Soul Society while others straight-up reincarnate. And then there's the fact the Pluses here in Soul Society can also have children, and those children also enter the cycle, and that's just on the human end, I'm not considering animals here. At which point you have to ask yourself: are new souls born to compensate for this growth, or are we bound to eventually reach a point where the capacity for new birth is stoppered by the lack of souls to furnish new life with?

But back to your question: the safest way to know for sure would be to ask an Arrancar. I hear tell that the Arrancar at Las Noches have been able to make regular Hollows lose the impulse for eating other souls. At that point, you gotta ask yourself: if the basis for the ethics of purifying a Hollow is its impulse to eat other souls, and it loses that... have we even been ethical all along?"

[Command Division]

"Well, it's a bit difficult to explain, but... Shinigami have computers, right? Imagine a computer that can think for itself. To be able to think, it first must learn. And to learn, it must be exposed to new experiences. The common term for that situation is 'artificial intelligence', but somehow I don't think that applies to Aoi-san, because that implies the intelligence itself - the ability to learn itself - is man-made.

Aoi-san here may be closer to what Shinigami term 'modified souls', but I think that terming her 'artificial' somehow diminishes the value of her life, and I cannot accept that. In a sense, she was born of my friend Tetsuhiko Naito. And I value her existence a bit too much to compare her to a machine like a computer."
    [Command Division]

Rin silently follows Masamune, briefly fixing an intense stare on Koutarou as she turns towards the door.

[Combat Division]

At Shinji's explanation of Aoi's nature, the individual in question responds with her own thoughts.

"Artificial. Adjective. 'Made or produced by human beings rather than occurring naturally, especially as a copy of something natural.' Naito's nature may be questioned on an artificial/natural scale, but I am, by definition, body and mind, artificial. I am a copy of a copy of a human body, with a mind that is capable of abstract quantification and alteration using a structure based on the format of modern computer code."

When Masaru asks his own questions, Aoi turns to him.

"Of course. There are 6 threat categorizations: Immediate, Extant, Potential, Low Concern, Unknown, and Solved. Connected to those 6, there are 18 further sub-classifications..."

It looks like "broad strokes" is a bit too nuanced of a concept for Aoi to easily grasp. She's going to be at this for a while unless someone stops her.
    [Command Division]

While Koutarou finds himself a little troubled by being stared at, he chooses not to dwell on the subject as they make their way back out of the Command Division.

For once, Setsurou is actually donning his Captain's haori - impeccably styled, even.

"Greetings. I am Captain Hishikawa Setsurou, of the Internal Security Division. I will escort you to the area the prisoner is currently located at."

[Combat Division]

Aoi stops talking, tilts her head slightly to the side for a moment, then finally straightens back up and nods.

"Understood. All existing ratings were assigned by Naito during the repair and reformatting of my data templates."
    [Combat Division]

"So the short answer is probably 'ask Naito', then." Shinji concedes. "Sorry, Captain. I suppose that question will remain unanswered for the moment."

After all, Shinji can hypothesize all he wants, but it won't get him anywhere for the moment.
    [Command Division]

Masamune simply nods at the Captain and follows along, refraining from speaking along the way, choosing instead to observe. Mostly the two high-ranking Shinigami in front of the Royal Guards, for the moment.
    ===============================================
    [The bar]

"The 'weight' thing makes sense, but...that's not how I meant it. Like...look, way I get it, becoming an Arrancar kind of 'settles' all the nastiest urges and appetites of a Hollow, yeah? So that part's not an issue.

If they're one big soul, then...they're just the one person. Lots of jumbled memories, lots of power, one person. A lot like a Reaper, you, or me.
    "

He pauses, rolling his next words around a little in his mind.

"If they're still a conglomerate of souls, a collective bag around a bunch of individuals, then instead of just being a person, aren't they, like, a walking prison? Doesn't matter if there's lots of people being born and dying. Those souls...they're trapped."

He all but gulped his next drink.

"Whatever. Doesn't matter I guess. Just slightly-tipsy musings..."
    ================================================== ===
    [Combat Division]

Masaru honestly got a bit overwhelmed in all of that, but waved off Shinji's apology.

"It's fine. I was the one who asked. Now. What were you wanting to do next?"

The question was apparently directed to both Shinji and Aoi.
    BitPRR Characters: Entries Masaru, Chuck, Thomas, Turiel, and Masamune

26. - Top - End - #1466
    Orc in the Playground

[Maximum security prison]

One might assume that the maximum security cells in Soul Society are in the Maggot's Nest or the Muken.

Ordinarily, it wouldn't be wrong to think that. It is, after all, where the worst criminals of Soul Society reside. Too nasty to be left free, not nasty enough for summary execution or under circumstances that would complicate it such as knowing a secret or two that Seireitei still needs.

However, there is one other place where Onmitsukidou saw fit to isolate prisoners that were too troublesome to even be seen by other prisoners. Only the lowest seats of Internal Security work this detail with any regularity. Some of them have their memory wiped about the location. At one point, Rin will recognize a dimensional barrier - a modified Senkaimon that gives direct access to a different part of Soul Society. Once they cross it, the group is underground.

Jack the Ripper, the real deal, is currently seated and sealed under a number of black bands and many overlapping Kidou on top of his chains and other Hellish attire. One might even consider it partially overkill.

"It's no Muken, but this place has been especially constructed by my family in order to keep the worst of secrets." Setsurou proclaims with little enthusiasm. "This is where we make certain problems... disappear when they cannot be killed. I apologize for needing to make you even aware that it exists, but if one can't trust the highest echelon of Gotei and the Royal Guard, well."

[The bar]

"No, I get it. You need to ask yourself that question to know if there's a difference in purifying a regular Hollow or an Arrancar. I'm sure the Arrancar would tell you that when you do, that existence itself ceases, just like the Arrancar a Hollow might become if you purify it.

Ultimately, it becomes a matter of the harm they do, Chuck. It's always really been that way. We hunt Hollows cuz they hurt humans. If they didn't, we'd cease to have reason for it. Arrancar are the same. You kill them in self-defense or to protect someone else, not for what they are.

Least that's the way I always did it."

[Combat HQ]

"Well I'm feeling a lot better now. Maybe I should go check on Naito, Katsuo and Chuck. See how they're all doing."

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #1467

"You're jumping to conclusions.

It is unlikely Lady Kuzunoha would send you on a wild goose chase. Whatever it is you require, I'm certain that the Sesshouseki is more than capable of accomplishing it.

It is also useless to argue with someone like her. She knows you won't like it, but apparently that is a better alternative to her than you getting the Cross.

Consider that she's had at least ten times as much opportunity to learn of the world than you did."

"I care not for your kind's sorcery or the games of Youkai. Of any of the reasons I have for seeking the Dead Cross, one of them means that no other artifact can suffice."

A Garganta tears open behind Shin-Tan Ubai. She honestly doesn't care if any normies who might see get freaked out at this point.

"If I ever have need for more power than I can possibly imagine, I'll look Foxy's sister up, but right now only the Cross can suffice. If your matron can't spare me a second with it under any circumstances then she is lacking in reason."

Shin-Tan steps backward into the Garganta and vanishes.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

28. - Top - End - #1468

[Combat HQ]

"Naito has been missing since-"

At this point, all present in the room can feel a sudden surge of Naito's alien reiatsu from a good distance away. It doesn't feel flared up deliberately or like it's being used in a fight, more that it's being released as a side-effect of putting a lot of power into something. Not coincidentally, Naito also appears to be getting closer very quickly.

"I have located Naito."

Aoi begins charging up another teleportation effect, disappearing after a few seconds unless stopped. Naito soon comes to a halt near the Combat Division HQ.

29. - Top - End - #1469

Las Noches, Sexta District: Svetlana's home.

As she said, a written document of all relevant information had been prepared for Turiel by the time he departed.

However, after that, Svetlana didn't immediately prepare to return to the human world.

First, she returned to her home and sat in a meditative position. Using her anger or not, she'd need to settle and focus her emotions: The first place to start looking for evidence, whether of the Sin Rostra's crimes or her child's murderer, was the Sin Rostra's castle and that was the place where her child had been killed. If she didn't center herself... Nothing would get done if she lost her temper.

So she meditated. She allowed herself to retreat with her own mind and allowed her consciousness to flow downward towards her center.

She'd done it before.

This time was different though... She'd remembered what the bandaged stranger had said. About some hollows who could use the memories of the souls that they had consumed.

As Svetlana fell down to a part of herself that she normally kept sealed off, she stopped.

And opened the lock.

"Run out on our engagement... How dare she? How dare she!"

"Mama... Mama where--urk"

"Help! Help, I can't!--can't"

*Naught but the sound of a crying infant*

"**** you, Squid! Not gonna eat me... I'll be a Vasto Lorde! I'll be a--****, that was my leg!"

And dozens more.

And another glimpse, at the vast sea of power she'd first sensed when she'd used the Gran Rey Cero.

She resealed that part of herself, after the initial flood of memories.

She was an adjucha. She had thousands of souls within her, but she only heard the dozens she'd killed personally--the dozens who had minds of their own

Apparently, her living self had been betrothed to the man who'd strangled her. That's something to ruminate on later.

Most of the soul's she'd strangled and devoured had been children.

For a moment, she wondered if her attachment to Sarah was as much penance for that as her original self's lingering maternal desires.

She ended her meditative trance, no longer feeling the need to center herself.

And then she went to the Segunda District. Turiel had offered her ten Warriors, but she preferred efficiency. Two would suffice.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

30. - Top - End - #1470

Forest of Menos~That Same Cave as earlier.

A Garganta tears open, and Shin-Tan Ubai steps backward out into the Cave.

Nothing else has moved in since she killed the bear.

And now she sits.

And she thinks.

Foxy Grandma isn't going to let her have The Dead Cross... She claims that Shiki the too many Shikis won't either...

...The only thing to do now is try to convince the other signatories of the Accords to overrule them, but Shin-Tan had kind of ****ed the dog on that one. Mommy would oppose any attempts to aid Shin-Tan because Mommy wouldn't understand what Shin-Tan was doing.

Knowing Mommy, she'd have already warned Soul Society about her,

So...

So she was screwed.

She could try Hokkaido after all... But Foxy Grandma's sister's artifact wasn't The Dead Cross. If it even existed at all, it was highly unlikely that it could be used to Balance Sarah's soul and without that... Well, killing a bunch of quincies with that forbidden Kido was an option but now that she thought about it, most Quincies were in the Sanctuary.

That only left...

Wait.

Sarah had been present when ZHE were forced to flee Heuco Mundo.

She saw the Dead Cross then.

How it'd had bits of it carved out.

She wracked the slowly assimilating memories of Lobo and the other hollow he'd eaten...

Some quincies made pentacles from pieces of the Cross...

Nobody had been in the Primero District since the Quincy attacked.

Maybe...

Maybe...

It was worth a shot.

Shin-Tan continued to rest. Soon, soon she'd search the Primero district.

Soon, she'd go after her last bet for getting this done quickly.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks