Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

Default Give me your best Warlock builds!?

I started a thread a while back around building a party of all warlocks. Well, I've actually gotten around to building a few warlock characters based on some of the advice, but I'd love to see what other people come up with.

Here are the criteria:
    • Build a 10th level character.
    • Multi-classing is allowed, but the character must have at least two levels of warlock.
    • Though not required, bonus points for taking the "Devil's Sight" and "Mask of Many Faces" invocations (see other thread).
    • Please include feat and/or invocation recommendations, and what you think makes the build cool.
    • Unearthed Arcana and 5e splat books allowed.
    • Bonus points for characters designed to enhance team cooperation.

Below are a few builds I came up with so far. But let me know how you'd fix them or if you have any other more unique ones.

~Imaginary

Class Rogue 2 /
    Warlock 8 (Chain)
    Fighter 2 /
    Warlock 8 (Blade)
    Paladin 6 (Oath of the Ancients) /
    Warlock 4 (Tome)
    Sorcerer 8 (Shadow or Dragonic - Fire?) /
    Warlock 2
    Sorcerer 8 (Favored Soul - Life) /
    Warlock 2
    Patron Great Old One Fiend Undying Light Undying Light Undying Light
    Role Ranged Support, Scout, Skill Support Melee Offense Melee Defense, Support Offensive Spells Healing, Melee Support, Face
    Invocations Devil's Sight Devil's Sight Devil's Sight Devil's Sight Devil's Sight
    Mask of Many Faces Mask of Many Faces Mask of Many Faces Mask of Many Faces Mask of Many Faces
    Agonizing Blast Agonizing Blast
    Repelling Blast Thirsting Blade
    Feats/AS Alert Great Weapon Master Inspiring Leader Warcaster or ? Actor
    Spellsniper Warcaster or Str +2? Chr +2 Chr +2 Healer
    Chr +2 Str +2 Chr +2 Chr +2 Chr +2
    Saving Throws Dex, Int Str, Con Wis, Chr Con, Chr Con, Chr
    Str 10 16+2 16 or 14 8 10
    Dex 14 8 8 16 14
    Con 14 14 14 or 16 14 16
    Int 8 8 8 10 8
    Wis 12 10 10 8 10
    Chr 16+2 16 16+4 16+4 16+2
    Equipment Light Armor, Rod Heavy Armor, Greatsword Heavy Armor, Shield, Longsword No Armor or Shield Medium Armor, Shield, Longsword
    Comments A warlock sniper with a focus on stealth, scouting, and battlefield control. She has a poor AC, but relies on keeping her distance and hiding to avoid taking damage. Her spells are focused on mobility and control. She'd make a good assassin at Rogue 3. An in-your-face damage dealer with a focus on two handed weapons. Not a great AC, but fairly effective at dealing damage up close and at range. And has a bit of spell versitility. The leader of the group, she can stand her ground in melee pretty well. Her high Chr boosts her Aura of Protection (+5 to save within 10') and Inspiring Leader (15 temp hp per short rest) to the benefit of the party. Her warlock spell slots can also be used to charge her smite, making her a threat when she needs to be. Pack of the Blade isn't as useful since she get's multi-attack from Paladin. She however has a poor concentration. Undying Light's Radiant Soul ability also adds her Chr to all her smites, fire and radiant damange. Pact of the Tome expands her cantrip selection. With both Elemental Affinity from the Dragonic Bloodline and Radiant Soul from the Undying Light patron, Chr would stack twice onto fire spells. Dragonic Bloodline would also provide a bit more resilience and AC. Alternately, the Shadow Soucerous Origin would allow her to cast Darkness (normally a 2nd level spell) with only a single sorcery point. Though the rest of Eyes of the Dark is effectively useless with Devil's Sight. She's primarily a healing focused arcane caster. Favoured soul grants her access to more armor for defense, and healing spells. Starting as a Sorcerer also gives her proficiency in Con saves. Though she has multiple attacks per round, she isn't really built for melee. The Healer feat gives additional healing support to the entire party between combats. Subtle Spell can be used to cast Hex in social or descreet situations. And Twin can help maximize combat and healing potential. The Actor feat combined with the Disguise Self offers a good likelihood of deception.
    Last edited by imaginary; 2016-09-03 at 03:32 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

Default Re: Give me your best Warlock builds!?

p.s. Here is a blank template if you want to use my formatting, or make your own.

Class ? /
    Warlock 2 (?)
    Patron
    Role
    Invocations Devil's Sight
    Mask of Many Faces
    Feats/AS
    Saving Throws ?, ?
    Str 8
    Dex 8
    Con 8
    Int 8
    Wis 8
    Chr 8
    Equipment armor and weapons
    Comments
    Last edited by imaginary; 2016-09-03 at 03:30 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

MonkGuy

Flippant but truthful answer: Anything x/Warlock 2 or 3.
    Last edited by Fflewddur Fflam; 2016-09-03 at 11:28 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Imp

Well, a stupid one I made here.

Class Sorcerer 6 /Warlock 2/ Fighter 2
    Race Variant Human
    Patron Undying Light
    Role Melee Damage/Defense

Invocations Fiendish Vigour, Devil's Sight

Feats/AS Great weapon master, +2 Charisma

Saving Throws Strength +7, Constitution +6

Str 16
    Dex 8
    Con 14
    Int 8
    Wis 10
    Chr 18
    Equipment Plate Armour, Greataxe, as many tied up chickens as you can afford.

Comments Elemental Affinity+Radiant soul allows you to add your Charisma modifier twice to fire damage. With 18 Charisma, you cast greenflame blade on a chicken, rolling 1d20+7 with advantage to hit an AC 10/11 creature with advantage, on a hit, automatically kills the 1 hit point creature. Hit causes greenflame blade's secondary effect, dealing 1d8+12 damage to the opponent creature, you use great weapon fighting's secondary effect to bonus action attack your opponent, for 1d12+3 damage (or 1d12+13 damage with great weapon master). If you want, you can also action surge, quicken, or twin greenflame blade (note: some DMs will not allow twinning of greenflame blade). You also have an AC of 19 due to plate armour and protection (24 with shield), can heal 1d10+2 hit points as a bonus action, and always have 8 temporary hit points (from fiendish vigour).

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by Fflewddur Fflam View Post
    Flippant but truthful answer: Anything x/Warlock 2 or 3.
    More like any class that depends on Charisma 18 / Warlock 2.

Seriously, over here it is a waste to try to level Warlock up to 2 since you have to multiclass.
    When most people ask a question in a D&D board, they aren't really seeking clarification, only confirmation.

4e is the Batman of D&D, it is the system that we needed, not the one that we deserved.

Being triggered is my trigger.

Now we have four years of grabbing America's problems by the cat.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Scorpion

Class Monk (Long Death)6 / Warlock4
    Warlock Patron Fiend
    Role Melee
    Invocations Devil's Sight, Mask of Many Faces
    Feats/AS Resilient (Con), Dex +2, Elemental Adept (Fire)
    Saving Throws Str/Dex/Con
    Str 14
    Dex 16
    Con 12
    Int 8
    Wis 14
    Chr 14

Equipment armor and weapons:
    No armor, short Sword, Whip, Uses Pact weapon to create a Chain-Spear with Reach "the Get over here" ability using lightning lure cantrip reflavored.

Monk abilities: (6ki points DC-14)
    Flurry of blows
    Patient defence
    Step of the wind
    Deflect missiles
    Stunning strike
    Ki-empowered strikes
    Touch of death (reduce creature within 5ft to 0hp,gain 8 THP)
    **edit** Warlock "Dark ones Blessing" +6 Temp HP when reducing Foe to 0hp**edit**
    **+14 THP when reducing foe to 0hp!!!!!**
    Extra attack
    Hour of reaping (everyone within 30ft can see you must succeed on WIS save or be frightened till end of your turn)

Comments
    Modeled after Mortal Combat Scorpion. Lone survivor of his clan he seeks revenge for their death. (Haunted one background) He has entered a pact with Asmodeous towards that end.
    Covers his Face with his mask, will remove it and use Mask of Many faces to display a Flaming Skull head and use intimidate/Monk Hour of Reaping ability to frighten his opponents.
    "get over here" ability could use command spell or lightning lure reflavored.
    Uses fire spells, and Elemental adept to ignore resistance to fire spells.
    Misty step to surprise opponent and attack with flurry of blows.
    Suggested spells: Lightning Lure(c), Greenflame Blade(c), Eldritch Blast(c), Hex(1), Hellish Rebuke(1), Darkness(2), Misty Step(2), Scorching Ray(2)
    Last edited by Mad Puppy; 2016-09-05 at 07:41 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

I prefer Fighter 1/Warlock 9 for Bladelocks. Having level 5 spell slots and having level 4 spell slots is completely different. Even if you often use Darkness often, spells such as Command, Banishment, Hold Person, Invisibility, Fly, and Armor of Agathys benefit a lot from level 5 spell slots.

War Caster is more important than STR +2, but at level 10, unless you went Variant Human, you can take only two ASIs/Feats. So it goes like this for races:

Variant Human
    Original Stats: 15-8-14-8-10-15
    With Bonuses: 16-8-14-8-10-16
    After one ASI: 18-8-14-8-10-16 (If you're going 16-16-16, Half-Elves are better at level 10)

Half-Elf
    Original Stats: 15-8-15-8-10-14
    With Bonuses: 16-8-16-8-10-16
    (If you want 16-16-16 for STR-CON-CHA, Half-Elves are slightly better than Variant Human due to extra skills and Fey Ancestry. Variant Human allows you to get 18-14-16, which is the difference between these two.)

Goliath
    Original Stats: 15-8-15-8-8-15
    With Bonuses: 17-8-16-8-8-15
    (You can later take STR +1 and CHA +1 as an ASI, at Warlock level 12, to get 18-16-16 and get on same terms as Variant Human, so at total level 13 or higher, the difference between Variant Humans/Half-Elves and Goliaths/Half-Orcs/other +2/+1 races in general becomes smaller, or in fact these +2/+1 races become even better than Variant Humans due to their neat abilities, Stone's Endurance in the Goliath's case. 8 WIS can hurt you at times, but if required you can just use Dark One's Own Luck.
    However, this is a level 10 build, so this probably isn't the most optimal choice.)

Bladelocks don't need Agonizing Blast. Give them False Life, which gives them 8 temporary HP between every single encounter. It partially overlaps with Armor of Agathys and Dark One's Blessing but you can never have enough HP boosts, given how important it is for you as a tank.

Spamming Darkness + Devil's Sight for constant advantage on your attacks, constant disadvantage on your opponents' attacks, and not getting targeted by your opponent's target spells is, as always, beyond awesome. It also increases your tankiness due to getting hit much less.

You wrote "Not a great AC", but with Plate armor (AC18) which you should have already gotten at level 10 it's pretty good, and if you really want to get defensive you can get the Defense fighting style from Fighter for AC 19 (Great Weapon Fighting is not bad, but not particularly good either). Your constant stacking of temporary HP make up much more than enough for your bit-lower-than-average HP, and if you get in a dangerous situation during fights you can always use Armor of Agathys or Mirror Image as back-up options (both are good, but Armor of Agathys probably serves you better at this level - both don't require concentration, which is totally boss).
    Spoiler: Avatar
    Show

^ Fantastic avatar made by Professor Gnoll. Yaya Tokaz, from the manga "Kukul and Nagi". ^
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Malifice View Post
    Only on a DnD forum would discussing the methods for jamming a T-Rex into a 10x10x10 box be a thing.
    Extended Signature: Homebrew Stuff
    Unlimited Blade Works: The Guide to the Ultimate Paladin/Sorcerer Multiclass

8. - Top - End - #8

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Gastronomie View Post
    I prefer Fighter 1/Warlock 9 for Bladelocks. Having level 5 spell slots and having level 4 spell slots is completely different. Even if you often use Darkness often, spells such as Command, Banishment, Hold Person, Invisibility, Fly, and Armor of Agathys benefit a lot from level 5 spell slots.

War Caster is more important than STR +2, but at level 10, unless you went Variant Human, you can take only two ASIs/Feats. So it goes like this for races:

Variant Human
    Original Stats: 15-8-14-8-10-15
    With Bonuses: 16-8-14-8-10-16
    After one ASI: 18-8-14-8-10-16 (If you're going 16-16-16, Half-Elves are better at level 10)

Half-Elf
    Original Stats: 15-8-15-8-10-14
    With Bonuses: 16-8-16-8-10-16
    (If you want 16-16-16 for STR-CON-CHA, Half-Elves are slightly better than Variant Human due to extra skills and Fey Ancestry. Variant Human allows you to get 18-14-16, which is the difference between these two.)

Goliath
    Original Stats: 15-8-15-8-8-15
    With Bonuses: 17-8-16-8-8-15
    (You can later take STR +1 and CHA +1 as an ASI, at Warlock level 12, to get 18-16-16 and get on same terms as Variant Human, so at total level 13 or higher, the difference between Variant Humans/Half-Elves and Goliaths/Half-Orcs/other +2/+1 races in general becomes smaller, or in fact these +2/+1 races become even better than Variant Humans due to their neat abilities, Stone's Endurance in the Goliath's case. 8 WIS can hurt you at times, but if required you can just use Dark One's Own Luck.
    However, this is a level 10 build, so this probably isn't the most optimal choice.)

Bladelocks don't need Agonizing Blast. Give them False Life, which gives them 8 temporary HP between every single encounter. It partially overlaps with Armor of Agathys and Dark One's Blessing but you can never have enough HP boosts, given how important it is for you as a tank.

Spamming Darkness + Devil's Sight for constant advantage on your attacks, constant disadvantage on your opponents' attacks, and not getting targeted by your opponent's target spells is, as always, beyond awesome. It also increases your tankiness due to getting hit much less.

You wrote "Not a great AC", but with Plate armor (AC18) which you should have already gotten at level 10 it's pretty good, and if you really want to get defensive you can get the Defense fighting style from Fighter for AC 19 (Great Weapon Fighting is not bad, but not particularly good either). Your constant stacking of temporary HP make up much more than enough for your bit-lower-than-average HP, and if you get in a dangerous situation during fights you can always use Armor of Agathys or Mirror Image as back-up options (both are good, but Armor of Agathys probably serves you better at this level - both don't require concentration, which is totally boss).
    It looks like you're putting warcaster on the variant human at level 1, which you can not, since the requirement for the feat is the ability to cast a spell.

BRING BACK ALIGNMENT LANGUAGES!!!

9. - Top - End - #9
    Halfling in the Playground

Zombie

Warlocks get 2 cantrips and 2 known spells along with a first level spell slot. So you can take warcaster as a first level feat.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Tikkun View Post
    Warlocks get 2 cantrips and 2 known spells along with a first level spell slot. So you can take warcaster as a first level feat.
    Maybe level 1 was the fighter, you know.
    Trust but verify. There's usually a reason why I believe you can't do something.

11. - Top - End - #11

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Tikkun View Post
    I'd assume level 1 is a fighter level.

Heavy armor is pretty much a must-have for a melee character with a DEX of 8.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Barbarian in the Playground

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Shaofoo View Post
    More like any class that depends on Charisma 18 / Warlock 2.
    You only need Cha 13.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Klorox View Post
    It looks like you're putting warcaster on the variant human at level 1, which you can not, since the requirement for the feat is the ability to cast a spell.
    No, it's possible to put Great Weapon Master at level 1, proceeding to take War Caster at Fighter 1/Warlock 4, and a +2 STR bonus at Fighter 1/Warlock 8.
    Show

^ Fantastic avatar made by Professor Gnoll. Yaya Tokaz, from the manga "Kukul and Nagi". ^
    Show
    Only on a DnD forum would discussing the methods for jamming a T-Rex into a 10x10x10 box be a thing.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Tomelock 3/Lore Bard X: "A little bit of everyone"

15. - Top - End - #15
    Pixie in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ES Curse View Post
    Tomelock 3/Lore Bard X: "A little bit of everyone"
    I would like to see this one built-up with an overall concept. I hear a lot about this combo, just not a lot of builds. The Swiss army knife of the party.
    I once came up with the following concept: perhaps you could build based on this?
    Mountain Dwarf Valorous Bard/Warlock (Blade) Though Lore Bard could work very well also
    I call him the hammer singer!
    I named him Ollum Hammersong
    Collect history books of famous Dwarf Heroes (This is how he ended up making a pact with a very old Dwarf who resides in the feywild, thinks he is emulating his hero)
    Writing his own Biography of his travels and Victories in battle, securing his own inflated ego.
    Looking For Dwarven Artifacts
    Ornery, Hot tempered, Loud, Scandalous
    Make a Gun sign with your hands to shoot your Eldritch Blast
    Dissonant Whispers, Tasha's hideous laughter,
    Vicious mockery, Hex your victim, and hammer him to death, Rinse repeat....

Sing Irish Pub songs, and bring the hammer down.
    Can "call" your hammer for role play effect.
    Speak in your best Yosemite Sam voice (No need for a Scottish accent)
    Favorite phrases:
    "It's Hammer slappin' time!"
    "You'll hear me hammer sing"
    "Ooooooooo I hates Goblins"
    You elf's is long eared Galoots"
    Thems Fight'n Words"
    "When I say Whoa I mean WHOA!"
    "That's what I get fer trustin' a Elf"
    "Any of you Lily livered Varmints wanna slap hammers wit me?"

Question on the Warlock builds? Are invocations based on Warlock levels or Character levels?
    I ask because you could take a 2 level dip in warlock but still get higher end invocations if based on character level.
    That would really make a simple dip WELL worth it.
    Last edited by Mad Puppy; 2016-09-04 at 10:19 AM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Puppy View Post
    I would like to see this one built-up with an overall concept. I hear a lot about this combo, just not a lot of builds. The Swiss army knife of the party.
    I once came up with the following concept: perhaps you could build based on this?
    Mountain Dwarf Valorous Bard/Warlock (Blade) Though Lore Bard could work very well also
    I call him the hammer singer!
    I named him Ollum Hammersong
    Collect history books of famous Dwarf Heroes (This is how he ended up making a pact with a very old Dwarf who resides in the feywild, thinks he is emulating his hero)
    Writing his own Biography of his travels and Victories in battle, securing his own inflated ego.
    Looking For Dwarven Artifacts
    Ornery, Hot tempered, Loud, Scandalous
    Make a Gun sign with your hands to shoot your Eldritch Blast
    Dissonant Whispers, Tasha's hideous laughter,
    Vicious mockery, Hex your victim, and hammer him to death, Rinse repeat....

Sing Irish Pub songs, and bring the hammer down.
    Can "call" your hammer for role play effect.
    Speak in your best Yosemite Sam voice (No need for a Scottish accent)
    Favorite phrases:
    "It's Hammer slappin' time!"
    "You'll hear me hammer sing"
    "Ooooooooo I hates Goblins"
    You elf's is long eared Galoots"
    Thems Fight'n Words"
    "When I say Whoa I mean WHOA!"
    "That's what I get fer trustin' a Elf"
    "Any of you Lily livered Varmints wanna slap hammers wit me?"

Question on the Warlock builds? Are invocations based on Warlock levels or Character levels?
    I ask because you could take a 2 level dip in warlock but still get higher end invocations if based on character level.
    That would really make a simple dip WELL worth it.
    The eratta version of phb specify warlock level, otherwise... Problems.

Anyways I think there is a serious lack of cleric MC here. Short rest healing is very strong and there are several domains that can do some work with warlock. I'd like a life cleric 1/warlock 9 for that level 5 vampiric touch spamming 5d6 necrotic a round and healing for half plus 7. Maybe make it a blade lock and pick up sentinel to make sure people don't just walk away... Sustain Tank for days.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Pixie in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by PeteNutButter View Post
    The eratta version of phb specify warlock level, otherwise... Problems.

Anyways I think there is a serious lack of cleric MC here. Short rest healing is very strong and there are several domains that can do some work with warlock. I'd like a life cleric 1/warlock 9 for that level 5 vampiric touch spamming 5d6 necrotic a round and healing for half plus 7. Maybe make it a blade lock and pick up sentinel to make sure people don't just walk away... Sustain Tank for days.
    Call me old fashioned but.....
    As a DM I would have serious issues with the bolded above. A Worshipper of a God making a pact with anything else.
    Gods are Jealous masters.
    In all truth if my player as a Cleric were to deal with the Devil so to speak, they would lose all Clerical abilities and be excommunicated from their religion. Same goes for a Paladin who gains their abilities from Divine Servitude, and the Druid for that matter.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

As a DM I would have serious issues with the bolded above. A Worshipper of a God making a pact with anything else.
    In all truth if my player as a Cleric were to deal with the Devil so to speak, they would lose all Clerical abilities and be excommunicated from their religion. Same goes for a Paladin who gains their abilities from Divine Servitude, and the Druid for that matter.
    It's really not that uncommon for people to worship many god's. And lots of God's are find with worshiper worshiping outer god's if they are party of the same Pantheon. And I can see two god's or powerful being's. Giving power to a pc trying to sway the pc in there favor. Or a player might made a contract with a fiend but there god not take back there power because they wish to bring back the pc to grace. Not everything is black and white we live in shades of Grey.

19. - Top - End - #19

Zombie

No, it's possible to put Great Weapon Master at level 1, proceeding to take War Caster at Fighter 1/Warlock 4, and a +2 STR bonus at Fighter 1/Warlock 8.
    Sorry, I hadn't seen GWM mentioned.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

" Bladelocks don't need Agonizing Blast. Give them False Life, which gives them 8 temporary HP between every single encounter. It partially overlaps with Armor of Agathys and Dark One's Blessing but you can never have enough HP boosts, given how important it is for you as a tank."

I feel that having better damage for range situations and flying opponents outweighs the 8 hp per encounter.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Klorox View Post
    Sorry, I hadn't seen GWM mentioned.
    I should have been more clear. GWM was already mentioned in the first post made by imaginary, and I sorta had this impression that GWM is mandatory for Bladelocks, so I forgot to say it myself. Sorry about being confusing.

Level 1 Variant Human: Great Weapon Master
    Fighter 1/Warlock 4: War Caster
    Fighter 1/Warlock 8: STR +2

Is what I was thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by Byke View Post
    " Bladelocks don't need Agonizing Blast. Give them False Life, which gives them 8 temporary HP between every single encounter. It partially overlaps with Armor of Agathys and Dark One's Blessing but you can never have enough HP boosts, given how important it is for you as a tank."
    I feel that having better damage for range situations and flying opponents outweighs the 8 hp per encounter.
    Yeah, I might have talked too much from just "my perspective".

This is mostly a matter of personal preference TBH. If you want to be a "versatile" sort of Bladelock who can be both a good melee character and a good ranged character, Agonizing Blast is sure useful, but I can't think up a reason why you'd want to be ranged over melee, when you can be so tanky. I've never ever created a Bladelock to be "versatile" - for me, Bladelocks were always a "melee build who can also use spells. I generally prefer frontline characteres over ranged characters, because I like taking damage from my opponents' attacks (no, I'm not masochist, it's just that when I'm firing spells from range without taking damage, it doesn't feel like I'm really fighting for me, and I personally find it sorta boring).

With 8 temporary HP inbetween every single fight, you will be superior in terms of tankiness than even a pure Fighter. If you wish to focus on being melee, False Life is the best way to go.

I personally value Repelling Blast over Agonizing Blast. Repelling Blast gives you field control, which makes it an option that can be more different from melee attacks.

Personally I'd also prefer Minions of Chaos over Mask of Many Faces for this level, especially with War Caster, but imaginary seems to really want to keep Mask of Many Faces, so that's that.
    Show

Show

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Comments like this always amuse me. Odd class combinations are where some of the best fluff can come from. Easy excuses for a warlock cleric:
    -Your patron is your god or an agent of your god.
    -Your god killed your patron or the other way around depending on which class you end up in.
    -Your character has multiple loyalties but for some reason (fate?) both sides refuse to relinquish power, both eager to have you as a pawn.
    -etc you can make it more complex as you go.

My point is DMs that say you can't combine certain classes might as well say all wizards have to look like Gandalf and rangers like Aragorn. Let people be outside of the box and you get characters like Drizzt and the like.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Pixie in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Comments like this always amuse me. Odd class combinations are where some of the best fluff can come from. Easy excuses for a warlock cleric:
    -Your patron is your god or an agent of your god.
    -Your god killed your patron or the other way around depending on which class you end up in.
    -Your character has multiple loyalties but for some reason (fate?) both sides refuse to relinquish power, both eager to have you as a pawn.
    -etc you can make it more complex as you go.

My point is DMs that say you can't combine certain classes might as well say all wizards have to look like Gandalf and rangers like Aragorn. Let people be outside of the box and you get characters like Drizzt and the like.
    All good points, by you as well as by Sir Cryosin.
    I rescind my comment.
    I do like to see all combinations. So could I see a Warlock Cleric build? there is definite possibilities. Paladin/Warlock has been built a lot.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Halfling in the Playground

I should have been more clear. GWM was already mentioned in the first post made by imaginary, and I sorta had this impression that GWM is mandatory for Bladelocks, so I forgot to say it myself. Sorry about being confusing.

Level 1 Variant Human: Great Weapon Master
    Fighter 1/Warlock 4: War Caster
    Fighter 1/Warlock 8: STR +2
    I would personally rate PAM over GWM, the extra butt attack synergises with Hex and eventually Lifedrinker. I just don't think that the -5/+10 strike is that good against hard opponents. GWM also has anti-synergy with Hex - you only get your bonus action attack when you actually want to move Hex.

Just my $0.02, feel free to convince me otherwise :)

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

Thanks Gastronomie for your suggestions on a Bladelock. A few follow-up points and questions for you:

• I take it you think the fighter's Action Surge ability at level 2 isn't worth delaying the Warlock's spell advancement?
    • I can see False Life being more useful than Agonizing Blast. I partially didn't take it because I'm assuming someone in the group would have Inspiring Leader. How well do you think False Life scales?
    • I didn't state, but should have that I assumed Human (variant) for all the classes, principle for the ASIs, but you bring up some good options. Half-elf is tempting. Otherwise taking Warcaster seems to make sense for a Human.
    • Your point about having a low AC is well taken, it would be that low.
    • You also mentioned that I'm a bit stuck on Mask of Many Faces. Not necessarily true, but I do think it could have a lot of role-playing potential, especially when the whole party can do it. But it obviously isn't optimal for combat and comes at a cost. But tell me more about why you think Minions of Chaos is good? I generally tend to avoid the once ever long rest abilities, but say more. I hadn't considered it before.
    Last edited by imaginary; 2016-09-05 at 12:42 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

To the point above, I've been trying to think of a good healing build for a warlock. I'd be curious to get other people's thoughts.

Option 1:
    Cleric 1 (Life) / Warlock 9+
    Gets access to heavy armor/shield and low level cleric spells, which is awesome. And potentially a familiar to deliver touch healing spells. But healing spells would use Wis which causes problems or makes the character a bit more MAD. Is it worth the investment in Wis to start?

Option 2:
    Sorcerer 8+ (Favored Soul - Life) / Warlock 2 (Undying Light)
    Favored Soul would give access to a number of healing spells, and use Chr as a modifier rather than Wis. The character would get access to medium armor/shield, so it would require a moderate investment in Dex. She would get proficiency in Con which seems to be much sought after. Radiant Soul would also stack on some offensive damage.

Option 3:
    Bard 7 (Lore) / Cleric 1 (Life) / Warlock 2
    This is an unusual multi-class with a focus on healing. Life cleric gives her a healing bonus from the Life Domain, and access to heavy armor and shield proficiencies, but does again require a Wis of at least 13. Bard provides additional spells for damage mitigation, healing, and control. Magical Secrets give her access to Goodberry (for the 40 HPs of healing per spell outside of combat) and other helpful healing spells. And of course bard uses Chr for spell modifies. With 3 classes, she doesn't have as many feats/ability score increases, but she would make a good skill monkey with a moderate defense. The great thing about Goodberry + Life Domain trick is lots of quick out of combat healing, though I'm not sure if it is totally worth the extra level of Cleric. Bards unto themselves don't make bad healers.

Thoughts?

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Belac93 View Post
    Well, a stupid one I made here.
    Comments Elemental Affinity+Radiant soul allows you to add your Charisma modifier twice to fire damage. With 18 Charisma, you cast greenflame blade on a chicken, rolling 1d20+7 with advantage to hit an AC 10/11 creature with advantage, on a hit, automatically kills the 1 hit point creature. Hit causes greenflame blade's secondary effect, dealing 1d8+12 damage to the opponent creature, you use great weapon fighting's secondary effect to bonus action attack your opponent, for 1d12+3 damage (or 1d12+13 damage with great weapon master). If you want, you can also action surge, quicken, or twin greenflame blade (note: some DMs will not allow twinning of greenflame blade). You also have an AC of 19 due to plate armour and protection (24 with shield), can heal 1d10+2 hit points as a bonus action, and always have 8 temporary hit points (from fiendish vigour).
    Nice idea Belac. Green Flame Blade would certainly be cool with stacked Chr mods, especially if you can add Shillelagh in.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Belac93 View Post
    Modeled after Mortal Combat Scorpion. Lone survivor of his clan he seeks revenge for their death. (Haunted one background) He has entered a pact with Asmodeous towards that end. Covers his Face with his mask, will remove it and use Mask of Many faces to display a Flaming Skull head and use intimidate/Monk Hour of Reaping ability to frighten his opponents. "get over here" ability could use command spell or lightning lure reflavored. Uses fire spells, and Elemental adept to ignore resistance to fire spells. Misty step to surprise opponent and attack with flurry of blows.
    Love the Scorpion build Mad Puppy. Multi-classing with Monk does seem a bit MAD, but it is a great RPing theme and implementation. Especially with the Shadow patron. I like the idea of using Mask of Many Face to completely obscure your face and/or intimidate your foes.

I did try a Warlock 5 (Tome) / Bard 5 (Lore) build, but it didn't seem to come together for me. I had to go to Warlock 5 to get Tome of Ancient Secrets and Mask of Many Faces. So all in all: ritual casting (from any class), lots of skills, lots of cantrips, and eventually Magical Secrets. Great for out of combat utility. But I had a hard time making her work in combat with lower level spells (in general) and lower AC. I guess I could give up Mask of Many Faces and only take 3 levels of Warlock. But I still haven't found a great build yet. But one of the things my party list above is certainly lacking is Ritual Casting. Thoughts welcome.

Edit: Added part of Warlock/Bard build.
    Last edited by imaginary; 2016-09-05 at 01:29 PM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Pixie in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Lots of blank space to fill, not relevant for the main concept it´s free in order to get the feeling of the carácter.

Warlock 9 (Cleric War,Storm or anything that gives martial weapons and heavy armour)
    Patron Fiend

Role
    Field Control, Mob smasher, Tank
    Healer if needed.

Invocations
    Devil's Sight

Repelling Blast

Thirsting Blade

Feats/AS

Polemaster

Combat caster

Saving Throws
    ?, ?

Str
    2nd Best (try to get 15 in order to handle full plate)
    Dex
    Dump
    Con
    4th stat
    Int
    Dump
    Wis
    Need 13
    Chr
    BEST
    Equipment
    armor and weapons
    Heavy, Glaive

Comments

Start at the front. If something gets on your reach "polemaster" grants you a reaction, warcaster allows you to cast a spell, you can blast it away sending him backwards with repelling blast, cast darkness to give a nasty surprise or just hit him.
    As warlock you can cast cleric spells like healing Word with your (almost) full power.
    As dps you do fine with 4 attacks per round (remember the darkness advantage) as tank you really can work it great, healing yourself with every killing. Evocators will be pleased to drop fireballs in that black spot you marked (he don´t need to see just cover the área). Area damage (cloud of daggers) can be reused.

Your cleric spells will be buffs and utility, remember you can cast with those slots warlok spells like Hex, and you can cast as a warlok a healing Word lvl5 in time of need.

Play your reach, position is everything you can hit at 10' and move back and getting afar will make them vulnerable to the blast trick ( no movement left to get me )

30. - Top - End - #30
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Jazcobo View Post
    Start at the front. If something gets on your reach "polemaster" grants you a reaction, warcaster allows you to cast a spell, you can blast it away sending him backwards with repelling blast, cast darkness to give a nasty surprise or just hit him.
    As warlock you can cast cleric spells like healing Word with your (almost) full power.
    As dps you do fine with 4 attacks per round (remember the darkness advantage) as tank you really can work it great, healing yourself with every killing. Evocators will be pleased to drop fireballs in that black spot you marked (he don´t need to see just cover the área). Area damage (cloud of daggers) can be reused.

Your cleric spells will be buffs and utility, remember you can cast with those slots warlok spells like Hex, and you can cast as a warlok a healing Word lvl5 in time of need.

Play your reach, position is everything you can hit at 10' and move back and getting afar will make them vulnerable to the blast trick ( no movement left to get me )
    Nice ideas Jazcobo.

Debate 1:
    Great Weapon Master/Warcaster/Agonizing Blast vs Polearm Master/Warcaster/Repelling Blast?
    There seems to be more synergy with the later.

Debate 2:
    Cleric 1(war/storm) vs Fighter 1?
    I'm heard both sides of this one. It is a tough choice. You make a good point about using the cleric slots for Hex. Though this build lacks Con saves.