Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 13 1234567891011 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 374
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Flumph

    Join Date
    Apr 2016

    Default Cabin in the Wood [IC]

    You find yourselves traveling along a dirt road that cuts across a long field of tall wild grass that grows up to your shoulder. You haven't seen any other travelers for days, but according to the map Victor Biccolu gave you, this property should be no more than a day further out. He's paying you each 100 gold to go out to this "cabin in the woods" and appraise it to see if it is worth the trouble to claim his rights to the property, as it is somewhat remote, and he would need to arrange for a relation to live there in order for his family to maintain rights to it. He has also heard rumors that it may be haunted, or perhaps some wild beast has taken residence there. If you bring back evidence of this, and that you have cleared out whatever dangers were there, he has offered to double your pay.

    As you continue on, you see the start of a forest in the distance. You expect you will reach it by nightfall. It also begins to rain lightly.

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Zombie

    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Cabin in the Wood [IC]

    Quote Originally Posted by Pope Scarface View Post
    You find yourselves traveling along a dirt road that cuts across a long field of tall wild grass that grows up to your shoulder. You haven't seen any other travelers for days, but according to the map Victor Biccolu gave you, this property should be no more than a day further out. He's paying you each 100 gold to go out to this "cabin in the woods" and appraise it to see if it is worth the trouble to claim his rights to the property, as it is somewhat remote, and he would need to arrange for a relation to live there in order for his family to maintain rights to it. He has also heard rumors that it may be haunted, or perhaps some wild beast has taken residence there. If you bring back evidence of this, and that you have cleared out whatever dangers were there, he has offered to double your pay.

    As you continue on, you see the start of a forest in the distance. You expect you will reach it by nightfall. It also begins to rain lightly.
    Vengar wraps his cloak around him slightly tighter as the rain starts to fall. Steam gently curls from his nostrils as he scans the horizon for any sign of activity from the forest.

    "Let's get a move on - haunted cabin, my foot! If we hurry up, we can be back by nightfall, grab our reward and still get a hot meal"

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    State of Denial

    Default Re: Cabin in the Wood [IC]

    Jenara was glad for her new clothing. These boots were definitely made for walking, and her feet felt great even after travelling all day. As the rain starts to come down, she pulls her hood up on the woolen cloak that hangs around her armor. But really, Jena, who travells in armor these days? You probably didn't even need to bring it."

    She shared her companion's belief that the cabin wasn't haunted, but something weird must be going on for Victor to put out so much money. "Yes. As Vengar says, let's try to make better time and get to the shelter of the trees."

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Griffon

    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Cabin in the Wood [IC]

    Ah, bother. Brelard thought as the first drops of rain hits his tiny frame. He looks up at the gloom and frowns as he pulls his hood up and holds him palm outward to gauge the rain.

    He glanced up at the determined figures of his companions and wondered at the sure stride despite the strengthening rain. [COLOR="#FF8C00"]Maybe I can cover myself under the Dragonborn... But that'd be rude.[/COLOR

    "Can't we find somewhere to shelter ourselves?" the gnome says, looking around the surroundings to see if there's any shelter. "I'm sure the cabin'll still be there tomorrow anyway."
    ]
    DMing:
    Shadoweagle's Fields of Flesh [5e] - IC - OOC - MAP

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Zombie

    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Cabin in the Wood [IC]

    "Well, let's see what the dice say. They haven't been wrong yet."

    Vengar pulled some white bone dice out of his belt pouch, stopping briefly to roll them on the sodden ground. He snatched them up quickly and stowed them safely again.

    "I knew it. The dice say there is nothing better for shelter than a cabin in the woods! Come on, we're almost there."

    As he strode forward, Vengar reflexively grasped the hilt of his longsword. It had never yet failed to warn him of impending danger. He just hoped it continued that way.
    Last edited by Antilles123; 2016-09-05 at 06:52 AM.

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Flumph

    Join Date
    Apr 2016

    Default Re: Cabin in the Wood [IC]

    Over the next hour or so of walking, the rain picks up a bit, from a drizzle to a proper rain.

    [OOC: don't want to move too much farther until everyone has a chance to make an IC post.]

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Griffon

    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Cabin in the Wood [IC]

    Spoiler: ooc
    Show
    don't worry, we'll just have some fun RPing :)


    *** As Vengar throws some dice ***

    Brelard's ears prick up at the mention of dice, he pops his head out of the damp hood and raises a brow as Vengar hunches over the ground, small feet carrying him hurriedly to get a glimpse of the rolls but too late, Vengar had already stowed them in his pocket.

    As Vengar stands up, towering over the gnome again, Brelard says "I really don't think that was a proper ritual, Vengar."

    *** The rain picks up ***

    Brelard grumbles and complains while walking, annoyed at being soaked in the miserable rain. Just my luck. he thinks while carressing the Luckstone in his pocket. "Y'know, this is how you catch colds." he lets out a final exasperated complaint that is drowned out by the pitterpatter of rain.
    DMing:
    Shadoweagle's Fields of Flesh [5e] - IC - OOC - MAP

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground
     
    BlueWizardGirl

    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Sewer maze

    Default Re: Cabin in the Wood [IC]

    Quote Originally Posted by Antilles123 View Post
    Vengar wraps his cloak around him slightly tighter as the rain starts to fall. Steam gently curls from his nostrils as he scans the horizon for any sign of activity from the forest.

    "Let's get a move on - haunted cabin, my foot! If we hurry up, we can be back by nightfall, grab our reward and still get a hot meal"
    "Do not be so sure, young one. Danger lurks in the most unexpected places."
    Sariel keeps an eye on the road, watching for danger. She is used to damp temperatures, this rain does not bother her.
    ((Should we establish a marching order? Sariel has a high passive perception score (15) and a ranged weapon, plus proficiency in Stealth and advantage on inititave checks, so I think she should be at the front. Bringing up the rear, we'll need someone sturdy, with the more squishy characters in the middle.))
    Last edited by Black Socks; 2016-09-05 at 09:39 AM.

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground
     
    miinstrel's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Cabin in the Wood [IC]

    Zeth double checks the draw string on his pack, mindful of the cards and other items the rain would damage. Once secured, he breathes in the damp, earth-laden air. "You don't see the truth in the dice, Brelard?" Zeth chuckles. "It's just a little rain, though I have a feeling it will get worse the farther in we travel. Might as well hustle to the cabin and get a fire going. No reason we can't enjoy ourselves while we're there, right? We should also make sure all the amenities a lord might need are in working order," he muses.

  10. - Top - End - #10
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Flumph

    Join Date
    Apr 2016

    Default Re: Cabin in the Wood [IC]

    Stalking stealthfully through the rain and the tall grass, two sleek panther-like forms with long black tentacles protruding from their shoulder approach to ambush the group. However, through a weird twist of fate, their images, projected slightly forward, are clearly visible to the group, alerting you to their presence before they were ready to strike (PCs go first).

    Battlefield Notes:
    Spoiler
    Show

    The monsters are twenty feet away, to the right side of the group, towards the rear. The rain is beginning to make the dirt road into a muddy mess, and the tall grass also inhibits movement, so everything is currently difficult terrain. Because of the rain, all ranged attacks have disadvantage.

  11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground
     
    BlueWizardGirl

    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Sewer maze

    Default Re: Cabin in the Wood [IC]

    ((They're displacer beasts!))
    Sariel grabs her longbow and shoots an arrow at the monster on the left.

    Spoiler: Initiative
    Show
    (1d20+3)[15]

    Spoiler: Longbow attack
    Show
    (1d20+6)[9]

    Oops, forgot disadvantage.
    [roll]1d20+6[/roll]
    And now I can't roll again.
    Last edited by Black Socks; 2016-09-05 at 06:27 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show


    Gone like the wind.

  12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Zombie

    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Cabin in the Wood [IC]

    "Look out, on the right!", Vengar shouts to his companions.

    "Trying to stalk us eh? We'll see about that!"

    Vengar casts Faerie Fire on both panthers (DC 14 Dex save).

    "Sariel, strike true and repel these abominations!"
    (Vengar gives Bardic Inspiration (d8) to Sariel, as a bonus action).

    Spoiler: Initiative (with advantage)
    Show

    [roll]1d20+3[/roll]
    [roll]1d20+3[/roll]


    Spoiler: Bardic Inspiration
    Show

    Once within the next 10 minutes, the creature can roll the die and add the number rolled to one ability check, attack roll, or saving throw it makes. The creature can wait until after it rolls the d20 before deciding to use the Bardic Inspiration die, but must decide before the DM says whether the roll succeeds or fails.

    A creature that has a Bardic Inspiration die from you can roll that die and add the number rolled to a weapon damage roll it just made. Alternatively, when an attack roll is made against the creature, it can use its reaction to roll the Bardic Inspiration die and add the number rolled to its AC against that attack, after seeing the roll but before knowing whether it hits or misses.


    EDIT: Added initiative rolls
    Last edited by Antilles123; 2016-09-05 at 06:36 PM.

  13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground
     
    BlueWizardGirl

    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Sewer maze

    Default Re: Cabin in the Wood [IC]

    Second roll due to disadvantage with longbow:
    (1d20+6)[15]
    Spoiler
    Show


    Gone like the wind.

  14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Zombie

    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Cabin in the Wood [IC]

    Spoiler: Initiative (with advantage)
    Show

    (1d20+3)[14]
    (1d20+3)[17]

  15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    State of Denial

    d6 Re: Cabin in the Wood [IC]

    Jenara looks at the panther and contemplates a few moments. Ha. I knew it was something aside from the undead, she thinks as she brings up her amulet, a silver sun, partially eclipsed by a crescent moon.

    "Beware. They don't look as if they plan to borrow trail rations." She giggles as she realizes they are on a trail. "In fact, we may be their trail rations."

    "Pholtus, help us get to this cabin to complete our work of good," she murmers to her god. She points to the creature on the right, and a silver flame descends from a point directly above the cat.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Cast Sacred Flame. Save vs DEX or take 2d8 damage.

    Damage: (2d8)[8]

    She will then draw her sword and move between the beasts and her companions.
    Last edited by Fishybugs; 2016-09-05 at 07:44 PM.

  16. - Top - End - #16
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Griffon

    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Cabin in the Wood [IC]

    Brelard's suspicions were coming true, at first he didn't want to share his discovery about this region for fear that he might be wrong but now with these monstrosities before him, he'll have to have a long chat with his companions.

    But first, these displacer beasts...
    he takes a crystal from his pocket and mutters a phrase, when a sudden chill engulfs one of the beasts closest to his companions and who is about to strike.

    "I marvel at that longsword Vengar!" Brelard says as he finishes the incantation, "it's like it can tell the future or something. You must let me study it!" between breaths, the gnome takes a few steps backkeeping his much stronger companions between him and the displacer beasts.

    Spoiler: actions
    Show
    casting Frostbite dc 14 con save or take
    (2d6)[8] damage and suffer Disadvantage on the next attack.

    Moving away around 15 ft.
    DMing:
    Shadoweagle's Fields of Flesh [5e] - IC - OOC - MAP

  17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground
     
    miinstrel's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Cabin in the Wood [IC]

    "It also leads you to water if you hold it properly," Zeth chortled as he swirled his arm unleashing a stream of purple energy in the direction of the tentacled creature on the right.

    "Are these things native around here? Feels like a bad omen."

    Jenara, you feel Zeth push a brief vision into your mind. The displacer beast is upon you, and you watch as it bounds forward. Do you see?

    Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Eldritch Blast: (1d20+6)[18] / (1d20+6)[17]
    Damage: (2d10)[18] (force)

    Step 10 feet behind Jena.

    Bonus Action: Bardic Inspiration to Jenara (d6)
    Add to ability check, attack roll, or saving throw after d20 is rolled.
    Last edited by miinstrel; 2016-09-05 at 10:35 PM.

  18. - Top - End - #18
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Flumph

    Join Date
    Apr 2016

    Default Re: Cabin in the Wood [IC]

    PC Turn:
    Spoiler
    Show

    Sariel:

    Sariel's arrow flies wild.

    Vengar:

    A burst of green light wraps around the displacer beasts, clinging to them and making it much easier to pinpoint where they are.
    (1d20+2)[7]

    Jenara:

    Silver flames erupts around one of the strange tentacled cats, but the image of the creature shatters and it becomes visible just a few steps to the right.
    (1d20+2)[21]

    Brelard:

    The rain falling around one of the creatures creates a brief icy sheen as the wizard assaults it with magical cold. The creature shrugs off the sudden frost to no seeming ill effect.
    (1d20+3)[16]

    Zeth:

    Two blasts of purple energy spiral together towards one of the displacer beasts, striking it in the side.

    (ooc: eldritch blast is actually two attacks for 1d10, but we'll keep the existing roll for this turn)


    Displacer Beasts:

    The displacer beasts stalk forward, eerie green flames outlining their invisible presence near the images of their form. The lead creature's now-obvious projection stalks forward ahead of it, past Jenara. She instinctively runs her sword through it, dissipating the image. The creature growls and then they both lash at her with spiked tentacles. Her armor fends off most of the assault, but one blow solidly strikes her shield, and the impact leaves her arm numb (10 damage).
    Last edited by Pope Scarface; 2016-09-06 at 06:59 AM.

  19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground
     
    miinstrel's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Cabin in the Wood [IC]

    Zeth glares at the beast that struck Jenara. A flash of malevolence appears in his eyes as he mutters a few dark, nearly incomprehensible words causing a clumsiness to fall over the creature. He follows up with another blast of eldritch energy.

    "You okay up there?" he hollers at Jena.

    Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Bonus: Hex on the DB that hit Jenara = disadvantage on DEX checks.

    Eldritch blast on the same DB (adv/disadv cancel out):
    (1d20+6)[18] / (1d10)[10] force + (1d6)[6] necrotic
    (1d20+6)[24] / (1d10)[5] force + (1d6)[3] necrotic

    maintaining concentration on Hex.
    Last edited by miinstrel; 2016-09-06 at 11:43 AM.

  20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    State of Denial

    Default Re: Cabin in the Wood [IC]

    Jenara the shock run through her right arm as her shield absorbs most of the damage. "Ha," she yells back at Zeth when he inquires about her, "My nannies hit me harder than that when I was a child." She grips her sword tightly and slashes at the cat that just hit her.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Attack: (d20+6)[23] Advantage for faerie fire: (d20+6)[15]
    If she hits: (d8+3)[5] damage and (d8)[8] in case of a crit

    Ooops...wasn't actually supposed to roll with advantage...but my first roll should have hit anyway.
    Last edited by Fishybugs; 2016-09-06 at 02:29 PM.

  21. - Top - End - #21
    Orc in the Playground
     
    BlueWizardGirl

    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Sewer maze

    Default Re: Cabin in the Wood [IC]

    "Many thanks, sir Vengar! Your spell should balance out this accursed rain!"
    Sariel once again shoots an arrow at the monster on the left.
    Spoiler: Longbow attack
    Show
    (1d20+6)[15]
    Damage if it hits:
    (1d8+3)[4]
    Last edited by Black Socks; 2016-09-06 at 02:25 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show


    Gone like the wind.

  22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Zombie

    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Cabin in the Wood [IC]

    "My pleasure Sariel. It brings pleasure to me to be able to light up your life like this!"

    He also exclaims loudly to Zeth, "Let me show you how it's done, then you can play too".

    Vengar moves forward, drawing his longsword with a flourish, slicing twice at the displacer beast on the left.

    Spoiler: Actions
    Show

    Bardic inspiration to Zeth (d8), on attack roll, damage, saving throw or increase to AC on monster hit. (Valor Bard)

    First attack - (1d20+6)[14] or (1d20+6)[11] with Advantage from FF
    Damage - (1d8+3)[5]

    Second attack - (1d20+6)[26] or (1d20+6)[14] with Advantage from FF
    Damage - (1d8+3)[5]

    If the one on the left dies after the first attack, I'll switch to the right for the second, moving adjacent if needed.

    Also maintaining concentration on FF.

  23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Zombie

    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Cabin in the Wood [IC]

    Spoiler: Additional crit damage
    Show
    OOC: Looks like second attack was a crit!
    Additional damage: (1d8)[7]

  24. - Top - End - #24
    Orc in the Playground
     
    BlueWizardGirl

    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Sewer maze

    Default Re: Cabin in the Wood [IC]

    Sariel suddenly remembers that she has two attacks. She shoots another arrow at the creature on the left.
    Spoiler: Longbow attack
    Show
    (1d20+6)[19]

    Spoiler: Damage if it hits
    Show
    (1d8+3)[6]
    Spoiler
    Show


    Gone like the wind.

  25. - Top - End - #25
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Griffon

    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Cabin in the Wood [IC]

    Brelard coolly weaves his hands again, his serene countenance not bothered by the presence of these beasts, he knows it is all part of the plan.

    Shards of ice engulf the one on the right as he switches targets.

    Spoiler: rolls
    Show
    casting frostbite (2d6)[11]
    DMing:
    Shadoweagle's Fields of Flesh [5e] - IC - OOC - MAP

  26. - Top - End - #26
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Flumph

    Join Date
    Apr 2016

    Default Re: Cabin in the Wood [IC]

    Blades, arrows, and blasts of energy tear into the creature on the left, leaving gaping wounds and tearing out chunks of flesh. Its image slinks away, and then the green ghostly flame surrounding where it was vanishes, reappearing 40 feet away next to its image.

    The other beast is momentarily covered in frost as the moisture around it flash freezes from Brelard's spell, but it seems unfazed. Its image weaves through the fighters around it, and then the outline of green flame vanishes and reappears behind the group of fighters. Brelard still out of reach, it lashes out towards Sariel, the ranger's less armored form seemingly more appetizing. Its barbed tentacles lash out at her, one striking across her arm (2d6+4)[12], and the other lashing across her waist, pushing under the bottom of her leather cuirass to find purchase on the flesh beneath, the barbs sinking in before the tentacle tears loose in a spray of blood (4d6+4)[19] (crit).
    Last edited by Pope Scarface; 2016-09-07 at 05:57 PM.

  27. - Top - End - #27
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Griffon

    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Cabin in the Wood [IC]

    As the Displacer Beast teleports behind the lines, Brelard sees it go for Sariel, well that's new... he thinks. Lucky for me, I wasn't the one being attacked.

    Unfazed by his seeming failure to be effective, he draws even more power from his magic that materializes in white whispy tendrils that impact the beast as it moves, homing on the true form.

    Spoiler: actions
    Show
    casting magic missile 1st level.
    (1d4+1)[4]
    (1d4+1)[4]
    (1d4+1)[3]
    DMing:
    Shadoweagle's Fields of Flesh [5e] - IC - OOC - MAP

  28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    State of Denial

    Default Re: Cabin in the Wood [IC]

    Jenara is taken off-guard a moment by the unusual moves of this beast. She once again clutches her holy symbol, murmurs a prayer to her god, then points to the displacer beast currently enveloping Sariel. Brilliant flashes of light streak out from her hand, attempting to strike the beast.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Cast Guiding Bolt

    Attack roll: [roll]d20+7 for (4d6)[14] damage and another (4d6)[14] if it crits

  29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground
     
    miinstrel's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Cabin in the Wood [IC]

    Oooh that looks like it hurt...

    "Trelk," Zeth commanded pointing at Sariel's waist with one arm while striking out at the beast upon her with the other. One wound closes while another opens...

    Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Bonus: Healing Word on Sariel: (1d4+3)[4] healed

    EB on the DB near Sariel (adv/disadv cancel):
    (1d20+6)[16] / (1d10)[5] force
    (1d20+6)[13] / (1d10)[8] force

  30. - Top - End - #30
    Orc in the Playground
     
    BlueWizardGirl

    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Sewer maze

    Default Re: Cabin in the Wood [IC]

    Sariel grits her teeth and draws her shortswords, slashing at the beast with them.

    Spoiler: Shortsword attacks
    Show
    (1d20+6)[24]
    (1d20+6)[22]

    Spoiler: Damage if they hit
    Show
    (1d6+3)[6]
    (1d6+3)[6]
    Spoiler
    Show


    Gone like the wind.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •