Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default What happens when you're in a plane when it collapses?

Hey guys, I'm wondering what happens to someone if they were trapped in a demiplane and it collapsed on them... Would they cease to exist or would their souls still go to the respective "afterlife"?
    And what if said someone was a weakened god....

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: What happens when you're in a plane when it collapses?

It varies, with at least some of it depending on your/your game's definition of "plane," "demiplane," "collapse," "god," "weakened," and so on, and at least some of it depending on what you think would make for a good game.

In other words, some context would be helpful.
    Last edited by TheCountAlucard; 2016-09-06 at 01:13 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground
    Protecting my Horde (yes, I mean that kind)

Quote Originally Posted by GladiusVCreed View Post
    Hey guys, I'm wondering what happens to someone if they were trapped in a demiplane and it collapsed on them... Would they cease to exist or would their souls still go to the respective "afterlife"?
    In D&D land usually dumped into the ethereal or astral planes.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Well, souls can cross planar boundaries just fine, so at the very least a dead being would end up in its own afterlife. Depending on your precise cosmology, they could also end up in the astral sea/elemental chaos, the astral or ethereal plane, or even the far realm, though.

In special cases with beings that don't have afterlives, such as the weakened god you describe, I'd say they become a vestige.
    Have you had enough of unreasonably high LA's and unplayable monsters in 3.5? Then check out the LA-assignment thread! Don't hesitate to give feedback!

Extended signature!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dire_Stirge View Post
    Well, souls can cross planar boundaries just fine, so at the very least a dead being would end up in its own afterlife. Depending on your precise cosmology, they could also end up in the astral sea/elemental chaos, the astral or ethereal plane, or even the far realm, though.

In special cases with beings that don't have afterlives, such as the weakened god you describe, I'd say they become a vestige.
    Vaguely (probably mis-)remembering something from Planescape about the corpses of dead gods ending up in the Astral Plane, too, for reasons unspecified, regardless of where they die. So there'd be the vestige that ends up somewhere-or-other, and the corpse floating around in the Astral.
    Spoiler: Playground Quotes
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Safety Sword View Post
    JAL_1138: Founding Member of the Paranoid Adventurer's Guild.
    Quote Originally Posted by TeChameleon View Post
    - If it's something mortals were not meant to know, I've already found six different ways to blow myself and/or someone else up with it.
    Gnomish proverb

I use blue text for silliness and/or sarcasm. Do not take anything I say in blue text seriously, except for this sentence and the one preceding it.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

PirateWench

Quote Originally Posted by GladiusVCreed View Post
    Honestly, whatever you, the DM, believes should happen.

Just remember that any descision you make should be the "natural law" in your universe. So be consistent, as with all rulings.

Generally, if this was a god, I would say they get destroyed, whereas a lesser creature would have its soul transferred to the afterlife.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    Blue text for sarcasm is an important writing tool. Everybody should use it when they are saying something clearly false.

7. - Top - End - #7

BardGuy

It depends on how your plane fails. Does it collapse in on itself like a black hole? If so, character's state of being changes in some way. A mortal dies, an immortal becomes a vestige. If your plane fails by "popping," so to speak, I'd say the characters end up in the Astral or on a random plane together. That would make for an interesting story.

"So there we were, BBEG dead, plane collapsing around us, and I think 'This is it, we're gonna die.' We close our eyes and feel the world fall away with a wrenching and twisting that made me sick to my stomache. Then, it suddenly stops. When we open our eyes, we see this bleak landscape of nothing. No rocks, no trees, just a flat, gray empty wasteland that went on as far as we could see."
    Last edited by illyahr; 2016-09-06 at 03:57 PM.
    See my Extended Signature for my list of silly shenanigans.

Anyone is welcome to use or critique my 3.5 Fighter homebrew: The Vanguard.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

It'd be a really good time to know how to cast Plane Shift or Demiplane.
    Spoiler: Playground Quotes
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Safety Sword View Post
    JAL_1138: Founding Member of the Paranoid Adventurer's Guild.
    Quote Originally Posted by TeChameleon View Post
    - If it's something mortals were not meant to know, I've already found six different ways to blow myself and/or someone else up with it.
    Gnomish proverb

I use blue text for silliness and/or sarcasm. Do not take anything I say in blue text seriously, except for this sentence and the one preceding it.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

A demiplane has some (usually) finite volume. It can contain matter, and time flows within it's small continuum. If the demiplane collapses like a singularity-black hole thing, you may end up with matter crushed into an infinitely small space, making what amounts to a black hole dimension. Maybe that's how spheres of annihilation are made? Alternatively if the plane's continuum just... unravels, any matter in it is probably shunted to another plane, or even several, depending on what planes the demiplane borders. I don't think a soul is vulnerable to disintegration, as such, but it could still be 'broken' into memories, personality traits, animating force... maybe spawning weird fragment-people who share one 'soul'. Or the demiplane's spacetime could be folded into that of the nearest plane, dumping all matter seamlessly into the Astral Sea or elsewhere. Or different fragments could end up in different places. I don't think a god would be destroyed... their body might be trapped in the singularity or their body and soul might be sundered, but I doubt anyone would walk away unscathed. This is a great question, how would you even cause this to happen? Epic spell? Make a bag of holding that empties into the demiplane then bring the bag into the plane?

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

While I think too much has been made of this in reality, for a scenario such as this, it's fitting.

The Big Rip.
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

The Worldbuilding Forum -- where realities are born.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

It should depend on the plane, of course.
    Planck length = 1.524e+0 m, Planck time = 6.000e+0 s. Mass quantum ~ 9.072e-3 kg because "50 coins weigh a pound" is the smallest weight mentioned. And light has five quantum states.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Pixie in the Playground

BlackDragon

Thank you all for the answers!
    The plane is going to be collapsing on itself like a black hole, but these answers gave me some insight and ideas to add in for some spice and such.
    Much appreciated guys! (:

13. - Top - End - #13

I would probably have PCs ejected into other planes, perhaps randomly separated or perhaps taking damage and/or making checks to survive. That seems to have more narrative interest to me than "and the plane collapses to a singularity, everyone dies".
    Last edited by Mr Beer; 2016-09-07 at 12:12 AM.
    Re: 100 Things to Beware of that Every DM Should Know

Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    93. No matter what the character sheet say, there are only 3 PC alignments: Lawful Snotty, Neutral Greedy, and Chaotic Backstabbing.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Beer View Post
    I would probably have PCs ejected into other planes, perhaps randomly separated or perhaps taking damage and/or making checks to survive. That seems to have more narrative interest to me than "and the plane collapses to a singularity, everyone dies".
    That sounds more like how an exasperated GM might end a campaign suddenly... "The plane collapses into a black hole, much dishonor, everyone dies."
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

The Worldbuilding Forum -- where realities are born.

15. - Top - End - #15

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    That sounds more like how an exasperated GM might end a campaign suddenly... "The plane collapses into a black hole, much dishonor, everyone dies."
    Crickey, take a note:

See my Extended Signature for my list of silly shenanigans.

Anyone is welcome to use or critique my 3.5 Fighter homebrew: The Vanguard.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Halfling in the Playground

ClericGuy

If you're in a DnD game and the plane in question has strong times to another more well established plain (i.e. Elemental), the inhabitants could find themselves on the other plain.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

Well one thing we're missing is what causes the collapse. Certainly in a natural collapse what people are discussing would be the most pertinent thing, but if it's caused by a spell or by some malicious entity then possibly they might have some say (or the process they used may affect things), that might result in some unexpected result.
    My Avatar is Glimtwizzle, a Gnomish Fighter/Illusionist by Cuthalion.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

And here I thought you meant an airplane.

A demiplane is limited. I wouldn't make it count against godly stuff.However maybe you can get access to some uncorporeal plane you normally wouldn't get to? Like you become ethereal or shadow, but your material part doesn't exist anymore?

If you go for more extreme depictions, you could have the collapse begin with the separation of different dimensions and incredible screw ups. Or you can have it turn into a black hole.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

19. - Top - End - #19
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JAL_1138 View Post
    Vaguely (probably mis-)remembering something from Planescape about the corpses of dead gods ending up in the Astral Plane, too, for reasons unspecified, regardless of where they die. So there'd be the vestige that ends up somewhere-or-other, and the corpse floating around in the Astral.
    That's because back in Planescape, the Astral had some of the flavour that the Far Realm has now. The Far Realm didn't really show up in Planescape much.

The Astral is backstage. It's the empty space in which the planes sit, or the canvas on which they are drawn. It's where all the things are that don't have a space anywhere else and where everything ends up if it drops out of someplace else. At least for the outer planes. For the inner planes, the ethereal has the same role. It's also where a lot of the weirdest creatures hang out and where dreams and thoughts end up.
    "Après la vie - le mort, après le mort, la vie de noveau.
    Après le monde - le gris; après le gris - le monde de nouveau.
    "

20. - Top - End - #20

Kobold

Collapsing a Plane you say?
    Spoiler
    Show
    It would be very painful

For you.