New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default Advancing Monsters...

...Can anyone walk me throught this? I've always gotten confused. I'd like to advance a quasit to 9 HD. So, I'm kinda confused. I thought there was a thread for this, but I couldn't find it.
    My sister has more ranks in Tumble then your level 13 rogue!

(Seriously. She's a gymnast.)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Atreyu the Masked LLama View Post
    I'm not gonna pass up a 4 armed hug!
    STOCKS:
    Spoiler
    Show
    40 HNJO $240

Total cost: 240

Total left: 760
    Townies: Fualkner and Fellus

Edge Riders: A new RPG system in the making. We need more members, so click that link!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Advancing Monsters...

Yes, The Vorpal Tribble made such a thread. You could send him a PM, maybe he knows where it is.
    The Countess of Mispelling hath returned !__________________________________________________ _________Behold my magnetoresistance !
    Quote Originally Posted by KillingAScarab View Post
    This isn't just any drow. This is a drow who is willing to have a good-aligned flying snake come out of her body so she can then fart rainbows.
    Outer Sphere__________________________________________________ _______________Inkatar !__________________________________________________ _______________Starship

Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Quasit's entry says it typically only advanced to 6HD. You can still advance it to 9, but odds are the CR is going to be off. That aside....

First, it's going from 3HD to 9HD. That gets to 4 and 8, so it gets two stat point increases (I advise against putting them in Int, to avoid making the process more difficult when we get to skill points). It also gets to 6 and 9, so it gets two feats.

Since the quasit's size isn't listed as increasing with HD, and because they look stealth-based, we won't increase size.

Outsiders have the good BAB progression and all good saves, so your 9HD quasit has BAB +9 and base saves of +6.

Outsiders get 8 + Int skill points for each hit die. Determining which skills are class and cross-class is a bit of a pain; I'd just pick 8 skills (Quasits have average Int) that have good modifiers, and increase them by one for each HD you add (so add 6)

A quasit's poison is Con-based, so its save DC is 10 + 1/2 hit dice + Con; plus a +2 racial bonus in this case. This ups the DC to...16+Con.

It's said that adding hit dice increases CR by +1 per two HD added, so that increases the quasit's CR to 5. (Consider this number only an estimate, though.)

That should be enough to get you started, I believe everything else (like grapple, natural weapon damage, etc.) is determined the same way it is for characters.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Sure, monster advancement is pretty simple. The MM p291 walks you through it, but I'll go through the steps with you here as well.

Basically you're adding 6 HD to the Tiny creature the Quasit. First thing I always do is double check the "Advancement" column in its entry, which in this case lists 4-6 HD (Tiny). It doesn't list advancement beyond that, but we can always extrapolate. For convenience's sake, let's say the monster retains its tiny size no matter what.

Now look up Outsider on the table on page 290. This lists the BAB, HD, good saves, and skill points of Outsiders.

So, the Quasit gets full BAB, d8 HD, perfect saves, and max skill points. Let's go ahead and add those on. Don't forget that it also gets two additional feats, as well!

HD: 9d8
    Base Attack/Grapple: +9/+0

Saves: Fort +6, Ref +9, Will +7

Skills: Allocate 48 more skill points where you will.

Feats: Improved Initiative, Weapon Finesse, (bonus feat), (bonus feat)

Let's assume the bonus feats are Ability Focus (Poison) and Weapon Focus (Claw). This'll raise the DC of its poison by 2 (don't forget, the Quasit's poison DC will also go up due to its increased hit die!)

So, its attack looks something like this:

Attack: Claw +15 melee (1d3-1 plus poison)
    Full Attack: 2 claws +15 melee (1d3-1 plus poison) and bite +9 melee (1d4-1)

The new poison DC is 10 + 1/2 HD (4) + 2 racial bonus + 2 Ability Focus. If it had any Constitution bonus, the DC would be higher (save DC is Con based), but for now it's DC 18.

This is a good jumping point, you can probably extrapolate the rest from here. For the new CR, just look at the table on page 294, which says that the CR is +1 for every 2 HD added for Outsiders. So, your new Quasit is CR 5.

That's it! Easy as pie.

EDIT: Ninja'd. I make posts that are far too long.
    Last edited by Piggy Knowles; 2007-07-09 at 03:22 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

Hmm... okay you guys. Thanks. But, seeing how that quasit would be waaaaay too weak for my party, I'll advance something else. thanks though, It makes sence now.
    My sister has more ranks in Tumble then your level 13 rogue!

(Seriously. She's a gymnast.)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Atreyu the Masked LLama View Post
    I'm not gonna pass up a 4 armed hug!
    STOCKS:
    Spoiler
    Show
    40 HNJO $240

Total cost: 240

Total left: 760
    Townies: Fualkner and Fellus

Edge Riders: A new RPG system in the making. We need more members, so click that link!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fualkner Asiniti View Post
    Hmm... okay you guys. Thanks. But, seeing how that quasit would be waaaaay too weak for my party, I'll advance something else. thanks though, It makes sence now.
    You could advance it to 6 HD with Outsider hit dice, and then add some Fighter or Rogue levels to it after that ... ?
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

I have a number of ongoing projects that I manically jump between to spend my free time ... so don't be surprised when I post a lot about something for a few days, then burn out and abandon it.
    ... yes, I need to be tested for ADHD.