Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 21 of 50 FirstFirst ... 11121314151617181920212223242526272829303146 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #601
    Ghost in the Playground

Kobold

Default Re: MtG - You Make the Card V: Untapped Potential

Soulless Resurrection 2BB
    Sorcery- U
    Put target creature card in an opponent's graveyard onto the battlefield under your control. It has menace and is a black Zombie in addition to its other colors and types.
    "Be careful what you wish for..."

Quote Originally Posted by BasketOfPuppies View Post
    Druidic Teachings (W/G)
    Enchantment- Aura U
    Enchant creature
    Enchanted creature can't attack or block and gains "T- add one mana of any color to your mana pool"
    You are needed... elsewhere.
    1. This is Utopia Vow, but hybrid instead of Green.
    2. Utopia Vow was in Planar Chaos, which openly admits that its cards are not color pie precedents. Green can't actually get pacifism. White, incidentally, also doesn't get mana production like that. This should probably be a gold card, not hybrid.
    Last edited by Misothene; 2017-01-28 at 05:03 AM.

2. - Top - End - #602
    Ogre in the Playground

Fiend's Adrenaline - B
    Enchantment - Aura - U
    A human whose muscles and veins are bulging to the point where they look like they're going to burst.
    Enchant creature
    At the beginning of your upkeep, put a +1/+1 counter on enchanted creature.
    At the beginning of your endstep, sacrifice enchanted creature if it has five or more power.
    "Be careful what you wish for."
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Cizak View Post
    I'm gonna be against the flow here and say outlined.

What? Everyone else are against the flow too, okay?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    In the grim statistics of the far future, there is only math.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    Most Hilarious Murderer in the Playground. Both his episodes of hysterically ending my life left me chuckling even hours later when I thought about them.
    And more in the extended signature!

Extended signature

3. - Top - End - #603
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjaman View Post
    Fiend's Adrenaline - B
    Enchantment - Aura - U
    A human whose muscles and veins are bulging to the point where they look like they're going to burst.
    Enchant creature
    At the beginning of your endstep, sacrifice enchanted creature if it has five or more power.
    Note that this is basically "at the beginning of your end step, destroy target creature with five or more power" because you can target your opponent's creatures. I think. Shoot, how does sacrificing work? You can only sacrifice permanents you control, I know, so I guess this works as intended? I would still recommend appending "you control" to the enchant line.
    LGBTitP
    Proudly Founded Team 2

"Everyone starts off making garbage.
    If you finally make something halfway
    decent, it'll be the best day of your life."
    Nehra, inventor

4. - Top - End - #604
    Halfling in the Playground

Judgement within 24 hours! I'll edit it into this post? Cool stuff guys.
    My Autobiography: 50 Feet Away, Chained to a Rock, and Surrounded by Werebears.

See that amazing avatar up there? You can get your own! Just ask Ceika!

Previously known as TheHatMan

5. - Top - End - #605
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by LastCenturion View Post
    You can only sacrifice permanents you control, I know, so I guess this works as intended? I would still recommend appending "you control" to the enchant line.
    Pretty much. It just means that any steal effect the opponent has will be that much better, because you'll still control the enchantment which is now buffing their creature, so the effect will try to make you sacrifice their creature. "Enchant creature you control" would at least make it so it would disappear when the creature switched sides.

6. - Top - End - #606

Uncontrolled Transformation 1GU
    Instant R
    Shuffle target creature into its owner's library, then that player reveals cards from the top of their library until they reveal a creature card and puts that card onto the battlefield.
    Last edited by TiaC; 2017-01-29 at 05:38 PM. Reason: Forgot to actually add the flavor text...

7. - Top - End - #607
    Halfling in the Playground

EDIT: whoops forget to edit into my earlier post. Oh well.

Spoiler: LastCenturion
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Gem of Cursed Wishing - 1
    Art: A small orange diamond lies atop a small pile of bones, glowing faintly.
    Legendary Artifact - MR
    T, sacrifice ~: Choose any number of nonland permanents. You lose life equal to the sum of their converted mana costs, then destroy them.
    T, sacrifice ~: You lose the game. If you lost the game this way, target player loses the game.
    T, sacrifice ~: Exile your hand. Search your library for a card, put it into your hand, then shuffle your library.
    T, sacrifice ~: Take another turn after this one. Skip your next untap step.
    Be careful what you wish for...

Gem of Cursed Wishing - 1
    Legendary Artifact - MR
    T, exile ~: You lose the game. If you lost the game this way, target player loses the game. (You lose the game before your opponent does)
    T, exile ~: Exile your hand. Search your library for a card, put it into your hand, then shuffle your library.
    T, exile ~: Take another turn after this one. Skip your next two untap steps.

Gem of Cursed Wishing - 5
    Legendary Artifact - MR
    T, exile ~: Search your library for a card, put it on top of your library, exile your hand, draw a card, then shuffle your library.
    T, exile ~: Take another turn after this one. Until the end of that turn, permanents you control cannot untap.
    This card was heavily processed in the week of design. It started out quite uninteractive and unfun, so I applaud all the positive changes. As for the finished product, it actually kept the same feel as the earlier versions while growing into a healthier card, which is cool. The flavor here is great, and I'd say this is a successful use of the flavor text, but mechanically this is borderline unhealthy. Even with all the crazy artifacts we've seen in the past two sets (colorless lifelink!) I still hesitate to put a heavily color-aligned ability like extra turns on a 5 cost artifact, or any artifact at all, even with a drawback. I think there's more of a case to put tutor effects in colorless, but even that is sketchy to me. I say this is successful overall in flavor and fun, and I think you ~almost~ pulled off two colored effects in colorless (some would probably say you did) but as is it feels a little awkward to me, in having two one-time situational effects and nothing else. I don’t even think it’s overpowered, it’s just weird.

Spoiler: Jormengand
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Jormengand View Post
    Separate Ways 3WUB
    Sorcery - R
    Create an artifact token called "Heaven's Gate" with "Sacrifice Heaven's gate: Exile target creature", an artifact token called "Hell's Gate" with "Sacrifice Hell's Gate: Destroy target creature" and an artifact token called "Sky's Gate" with "Sacrifice Sky's Gate: Return target creature to its owner's hand."

Heaven's Gate
    Token Artifact
    Sacrifice Heaven's Gate: Exile target creature.
    Be careful what you wish for.

Hell's Gate
    Token Artifact
    Sacrifice Hell's Gate: Destroy target creature.
    Even a dragon can be brought down in a single strike if you have the eyes to find a weak spot.

Sky's Gate
    Token Artifact
    Sacrifice Sky's Gate: Return target creature to its owner's hand.

I needed to do this.
    This is so so crazy and wild, and I love it for that. My first read of it had me thinking it was the jankiest piece of weird I'd ever seen, with it using three separate tokens, and being triple removal, and being in three colors. But after I wrapped my head around it, I see how clever it is. Every color is represented, very cleanly at that. Not only is it white, black, and blue, but it feels like Esper as a combination. The flavor texts are hilarious Easter eggs that really complete the card (your use of "be careful what you wish for" had me blown away. It's so subtle!) The coolest part though, and the part that makes it powerful, is the political power it has in a multiplayer game (I usually think about cards just as much in multiplayer as I do with two-player, if not more.) Showing the table you have the power to massacre someone's board is always better than actually massacring someone’s board. I know I would love to play with this, because of all the fun interactions in multiplayer. This card is a gem and a masterpiece on so many levels, but it still has janky spots. A card demanding three tokens that probably won't be used on any other cards (though that would be interesting) bugs me, though I guess there's this. Also having three removal stuffed into one card makes it seem a little one-dimensional; I feel like this could have some more utility. Besides those small knots this is simply genius from a design standpoint and I love it.

Spoiler: Dr.Gunsforhands
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Gunsforhands View Post
    Call Away 2W
    A goblin struggles to read an official-looking letter as someone walks him to a waiting ship.
    Sorcery - C
    Shuffle target creature into its owner's library.
    "You are needed... elsewhere."
    This is about what I expected from this flavor text. As is I think this is slightly too good for common, I like it a lot at "target attacking creature" or "target attacking or blocking creature" if you wanted to push it. You could also move it up to uncommon, where it would be realistic but still very pushed for limited play. Points for simplicity, flavor, and for designing a common. Cool cool.

Spoiler: Ionbound
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Ionbound View Post
    Abrupt Summonings-XRG

Sorcery-R

Search your library for a creature card with converted mana cost X or less and put it onto the battlefield, then shuffle your library. It gains haste. Return this creature to your hand at the beginning of the next end step.

You are needed...Elsewhere.
    I'm bad at evaluating this kind of card, because I'm not a hyper-competitive player, but I know this is the type of card that will be used in some ridiculous combo (like Tooth and Nail and Emrakul) or for some super flashy play in Commander. I think it's on the good side without being breakable though. You can get value and tutor for a small creature at a reasonable price. Seems fun to use, and it's a good combinations of both colors, and of a tutor plus a dash effect. Although it feels less like a "you are needed... elsewhere" and more like a "Hulk ambush sneak attack smash!" to me. Maybe the art could help direct that. Very neat overall.

Spoiler: mystic1110
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by mystic1110 View Post
    At Any Price 2B
    Sorcery M
    You may only cast this card during your first main phase. You may choose a card you own from outside the game and put it into your hand. Untap all permanents you control. Until end of turn target opponent controls you. (That opponent sees all cards that you could see and makes all decisions for you.)
    Be careful what you wish for.
    A very successful use of the flavor text; it vibes perfectly with the name and the mechanics. I also love cards with ambiguous names like "At Any Price." Overall I love this idea. Generally in a 1v1 game, it is very hard to screw with people when you get a chance to control them for a turn, so this actually wouldn't be a huge drawback in many cases. There will be many games where this ends up being a straight tutor. In a multiplayer game, however, this card would really shine gameplay-wise. In the end this is a relatively clean design that I can see being printed in some form, and you were very resourceful with the flavor text.

Spoiler: Bucky
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    Banewood Marksman 2GG
    Creature - Elf Archer C
    Reach, Deathtouch
    Even a dragon can be brought down in a single strike if you have the eyes to find a weak spot
    1/4
    The flavor text feels very natural and at home here, so good job on that. I also like common designs. However, creatures with deathtouch are usually balanced by having low toughness, so they're unable to sit back for one-sided block after block after block. This creature actually excels at that because it also has reach. This card would absolutely curb-stomp any aggro or creature deck in limited, which isn't fun. My final ruling is that this is too good for common, and that is its one flaw. You have to be careful with deathtouch. Good flavor text though.

Spoiler: Sgt. Cookie
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Sgt. Cookie View Post
    Battle Trick 1(W/R)
    Instant
    Exile target attacking creature. Return it to the battlefield under it's owner's control at the beginning of the next combat step.
    I'm halfway between saying "I don't think this does what you think it does" and saying that this is just a weird card. It has two uses: a two-mana flicker for your own creatures, or stall an opponents attack for a turn. Both of these are not very good, and both are not red. This card would probably be 1W. You forgot a rarity, I would put it at uncommon for complexity, but it has so few uses I would feel bad. Cool idea, just not useful enough.

Spoiler: Gauntlet
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Gauntlet View Post
    Unfathomable Knowledge XUBR
    Sorcery
    Search your library for X cards and put them into your hand, then discard that many cards at random. Exile Unfathomable Knowledge.
    Madness - UBR, Pay X life.
    Now this is kooky. Definitely kooky enough for rare. The first (non-madness) use of the card isn't very good, as we can compare to
    Spoiler: http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?name=gamble
    Show
    gamble
    , which while being a breakable card, shouldn't be balanced by adding two colors to it, in my opinion. The madness cost though, seems very fun to figure out. Being able to fill your hand with tools and combo pieces for three mana is a great three-color madness pay-off, but not necessarily overpowered. This card is very slow in action, but there are players out there that would have a blast with it. Alright balance, intriguing design.

Spoiler: TurboGhast
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by TurboGhast View Post
    Impose Morals 4WU
    Instant R
    Gain control of target attacking creature. (Remove that creature from combat. This effect lasts indefinitely)
    "You are needed... elsewhere."
    Fitting flavor text, cool name, and an elegantly simple rare. I like this in white-blue. Might be uncommon because of power level though. In limited this could be a fun bomb for control, which is good news for blue, but it's probably too expensive for play outside of that. Because of Mind Control at 2UU, this could for sure be pushed to 3WU, or 2WU if you really wanted it to leave a mark in outside play. Neat.

Spoiler: BasketOfPuppies
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by BasketOfPuppies View Post
    Druidic Teachings WG
    Enchantment- Aura U
    Enchant creature
    Enchanted creature can't attack or block and gains "T- add one mana of any color to your mana pool"
    This is clever, both in the genius subtle story-telling flavor, and the way it takes two known mechanics and combines them into something that feels elegant. Compared to Pacifism or Path to Exile it's not very great, but in an environment that's not ridiculously saturated, like limited or standard, this is a bit better, although I'd still expect a liiitle more from two-color removal.

Spoiler: Blue Ghost
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Ghost View Post
    Kolaghan Deathbow 2R
    Creature - Goblin Archer (U)
    T: Kolaghan Deathbow deals 1 damage to target creature.
    5B: Kolaghan Deathbow gains deathtouch until end of turn.
    "Even a dragon can be brought down with a single strike if you have the eyes to find a weak spot."
    2/1
    This is a lot of cool in one creature. Playable uncommons with off-color activated abilities are a lot of fun in limited, and this guy is a great example. The flavor text has a very clear tie to the second ability, and that is great storytelling. I'd say the second ability is costed about right for limited, but a 2/1 for 3 at uncommon feels really bad if you're not playing Rakdos, and makes this guy fragile enough that they probably won't even stick around to late game to deliver deathblows (that's a pun) even if you are. Buffing it to 3/1 (or 2/2, but that's not as aggro) would make this a very solid dude. Super-duper-bonus points for using this flavor text on a dragon-related card.

Spoiler: CantigThimble
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by CantigThimble View Post
    Eye of the Tiger 1RW
    Enchantment - Aura U
    Flash
    Enchant Creature
    When Eye of the Tiger enters the battlefield destroy target creature blocking enchanted creature.
    Enchanted creature gets +1/+1 and has trample.
    "Even a dragon can be brought down with a single strike if you have the eyes to find a weak spot."

Edit: Thanks.
    I like this design a lot. It accomplishes two things at once while being very clean, it fits nicely in both colors, and it's limited-standard viable (a good place to be in balance) while not in any way game-warping. It seems fun. If there was one problem with it it would be the fact that many players won't know how trample damage works when a blocking creature is destroyed, a la
    Spoiler: http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=414493
    Show
    Ride Down
    . Solid name as well. All in all feels very Tarkir to me.

Spoiler: Beelzebub1111
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Beelzebub1111 View Post
    One Inch Punch RWU
    Instant - U
    Choose two
    -Deal 6 damage to target creature
    -Tap Target Creature, it doesn't untap durring its controller's next untap step
    - Return target Creature to its owner's hand

"Even a dragon can be brought down in a single strike if you have the eyes to find a weak spot."
    Three Tarkir-y cards in a row. I guess that comes from this flavor text. Anyway, three color charms are really fun to design, mostly because they are meant to be versatile and useful in a "toolbox" sort of way. This, however, is less like a toolbox and more like “3 Cool and Fun Ways to Mess with Your Opponents’ Creatures.” Charms should have 1-2 choices that mess with creatures, and 2 is really pushing it. This has no utility. And in addition to that, the first choice obviously the best way to mess with an enemy creature; I don't know when I'd choose to tap something down instead of removing it. Lowering the damage to something like 4 would encourage more decision making, but not solve the problem of this being one-dimensional. Good ideas with the charm and the flavor text though.

Spoiler: Misothene
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Misothene View Post
    Soulless Resurrection 2BB
    Sorcery- U
    Put target creature card in an opponent's graveyard onto the battlefield under your control. It has menace and is a black Zombie in addition to its other colors and types.
    "Be careful what you wish for..."

Not only is the flavor text fitting here, but you twisted it in a way that feels dark and very clever on a black card like this. Anyway, one of my casual multiplayer decks is a monoblack that runs 4 Animate Deads, so this is really up my alley (my favorite thing in the world is being in a game with my friend's Eldrazi deck and stealing everything.) Unlike Animate though, it is costed in a way that is fair for limited and otherwise. This would probably even see other play in graveyard or mill brews, not unlike my own. Menace is a nice touch. My only critique is that these effect seems rare to me, not uncommon.

Spoiler: Ninjaman
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninjaman View Post
    Fiend's Adrenaline - B
    Enchantment - Aura - U
    Enchant creature
    Similar to above, the flavor text is cleverly placed here. I agree that the text should be changed to "enchant creature you control" more to avoid confusion than for balancing. This could be quite good for aggro in limited, but it doesn't have a place outside of there. You could tack on "enchanted creature has trample" on it without putting it over the top or breaking the color pie too hard. After all, trample on a <5 power creature isn't that great anyway. This is really flavorful and fun, but it needs some buffs, because it's slow but only builds up to a death. If this was in a set where you could easily sac the enchantment, I'd love using this.

Spoiler: TiaC
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by TiaC View Post
    Uncontrolled Transformation 1GU
    Instant R
    Shuffle target creature into its owner's library, then that player reveals cards from the top of their library until they reveal a creature card and puts that card onto the battlefield.
    Spoiler: http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=236466
    Show

The obvious comparison
    . Honestly, Chaos Warp is a pretty huge color pie leak in that it targets enchantments and creatures in red, so Simic feels a lot better for this effect, even in flavor. I'd cost this at UG, or make it so you reveal two creatures and you choose one or something, because as is this is pretty unreliable, even for green/blue. Also I see this fitting almost as well in Izzet colors. What a strange effect. The flavor text adds a lot here. Nice job.

Spoiler: and the winner is
    Show
    3rd: BasketofPuppies with Druidic Teachings. I really appreciate the storytelling in the card, but I thought it needed more to be viable.
    2nd: Blue Ghost with Kolaghan Deathbow. The flavor text was cleverly tied to the mechanics of the card, it's a draft-around, and it has a setting-related Easter egg.
    FIRST: Jormengand with Separate Ways. Obviously the one that used all three flavor texts (I'm kidding that's not why they won.) Even though this card is crazy in all its layers and tokens and colors, the gameplay seems juicy and the design is innovate and brilliant. This card hit the nail on the head with this challenge by using each line of flavor text in a genius way. Very neato.

High quality stuff everyone!
    Last edited by Passive Pete; 2017-01-30 at 12:57 AM.
    My Autobiography: 50 Feet Away, Chained to a Rock, and Surrounded by Werebears.

See that amazing avatar up there? You can get your own! Just ask Ceika!

Previously known as TheHatMan

8. - Top - End - #608

Quote Originally Posted by Passive Pete View Post
    EDIT: whoops forget to edit into my earlier post. Oh well.
    Even with all the crazy artifacts we've seen in the past two sets (colorless lifelink!) I still hesitate to put a heavily color-aligned ability like extra turns on a 5 cost artifact, or any artifact at all, even with a drawback. I think there's more of a case to put tutor effects in colorless, but even that is sketchy to me.
    That's a fair point. My reasons (which may not be sufficient) were along the lines of "what would I wish for? Extra turns. How do I screw over that wish?" and I think making untapping impossible until the end of that turn is a pretty good way to keep it from being too good. The only way it's useful is triggered abilities based on turn and creatures with vigilance, I think. The second ability I got by looking up what WotC had already printed with Wish in the name, and that was the most common thing I saw. See Ring of Three Wishes.

Perhaps I should have given it a nasty exit-the-battlefield ability, which would also work for the flavor, but I think that would be a little too much text.

Anyways, congrats to the winner!
    LGBTitP
    Proudly Founded Team 2

Nehra, inventor

9. - Top - End - #609
    Banned

Challenge: Make a creature which Assembles one or more Contraptions. (Contraption is an artifact subtype. There are currently no artifacts with this subtype. Assemble currently has no rules meaning)

10. - Top - End - #610
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Flogged Peon R
    Creature Goblin Rigger C
    RT: Fogged Peon assembles a contraption artifact token
    Rig four contraptions and Flogged Peon: Flogged Peon gains +4/+4 and Devistate
    1/1

Spoiler
    Show

RULES:
    Assemble: same as Create, but uses a creature as the source of the effect. The controller of the creature gains control and ownership of the token. Other uses may include "Tap target creature, it assembles a Contraption artifact token" or "Each non-artifact creature you control assembles a 0/1 thopter artifact creature token with flying"

Rig: attach unrigged permenants to eachother as with enchanting or equipping. All permenants in a rigging are considered rigged to eachother. If one permenant in the rigging leaves the battlefield, sacrifice each other permenant rigged to it.

Devistate: Whenever this creature becomes blocked, destroy all blocking creatures at the end of combat.

Note on color identity:
    Red assembles contraptions which are rigged together to produce effects
    Blue assembles thopters
    Black assembles Devices with tap abilities.
    White assembles equipment.
    Assemble does not appear in green
    Last edited by Beelzebub1111; 2017-02-01 at 01:09 PM.

11. - Top - End - #611

Note that Assemble is a game action which is taken by a permanent rather than by a player, which is why it's such a design headache. Most effects that do similar things (like creating a token) are done by an ability, not directly by a permanent. The closest similar terminology in the current MTG lexicon is crewing a vehicle.

12. - Top - End - #612
    Firbolg in the Playground

Challenge: Make a creature which Assembles one or more Contraptions. (Contraption is an artifact subtype. There are currently no artifacts with this subtype. Assemble currently has no rules meaning)
    -------------

ASSEMBLE, DISASSEMBLE, and RIGGERS
    Riggers and other cards give Scrap ($) in a pool, much like Energy. Scrap is placed on Contraptions when they are created, and reclaimed when they are disassembled (but not when they are destroyed).

Assembling a contraption functions like the create ability, save that the resulting token does not trigger enter-the-battlefield effects. Disassembling a contraption functions like the destroy effect, save that the token does not trigger leave-the-battlefield or enter-the-graveyard effects.

-------------

Thopter Artist -- 2U
    Creature - Human Rigger (Uncommon)
    When Thopter Artist comes into play, gain $$.
    U, Tap: Thopter Artist assembles a 0/2 Thopter Contraption with flying. Move $ to each token assembled. If you can't, disassemble it.
    1/3

-------------

In effect, Scrap functions like a renewable Energy that can be pumped into tokens (creature or artifact), then reused if those tokens are disassembled instead of sacrificed or destroyed. Contraptions are unique in that they are the only cards that be assembled or disassembled, and their creation is limited by the available Scrap in your pool, meaning that tokens can be much more prevalent in set design without overwhelming the board (since total generation is limited). It also limits consistent triggering of effects based on entering or leaving the battlefield, which could easily get out of hand given the amount of modularity in the design.

In this case Steamflogger Boss would let you create two Thopter Contraptions in a single turn, provided you had enough Scrap to pay for both. If you only have enough for one, you only get one.
    Last edited by Djinn_in_Tonic; 2017-01-30 at 01:27 PM.

Ingredients

2oz Djinn
    5oz Water
    1 Lime Wedge

Instructions

Pour Djinn and tonic water into a glass filled with ice cubes. Stir well. Garnish with lime wedge. Serve.

13. - Top - End - #613
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Jury-Rigged Walker 5
    Artifact Creature - Construct C
    Assemble 2 (Sacrifice any number of creatures with total power 2 or greater and exile this card from your graveyard. Create a token that is a copy of this card except that it's a contraption in addition to its other types. Activate this ability only any time you could cast a sorcery.)
    4/4

The reason the original gets exiled is to prevent looping shenanigans with two assemble creatures. This might be cleaner if it put it onto the battlefield with some kind of counter and it got exiled if it ever died again but I feel like 'should work with steamflogger boss' is kinda implied by this challenge.

Spoiler: Context Examples
    Show
    Improvised Surveyor 3
    Artifact - C
    1, T, Sacrifice Improvised Surveyor: Search your library for a basic land card and put it onto the battlefield tapped.
    Assemble 1

Makeshift Powersuit 1
    Artifact - Equipment U
    Equip 2
    Equipped creature gets +1/+2.
    2, Sacrifice Makeshift Powersuit: Equipped creature gets +3/+3 until end of turn.
    Assemble 1

Scrapheap Titan 7
    Artifact Creature
    Assemble 4
    5/7

Careful Rigger 1W
    Creature - Dwarf Rigger C
    Whenever Careful rigger assembles a contraption if that contraption is a creature you may exile Careful Rigger attached to that contraption. If you do then that contraption has vigilance.
    2/2

Precision Rigger 1U
    Creature - Human Rigger C
    Whenever Precision Rigger assembles a contraption, draw a card.
    1/3

Scrapyard Necromancer 2B
    Whenever scrapyard necromancer assembles a contraption create a 2/2 black zombie creature token.
    2/3

Dynavolt Rigger 1R
    Creature - Viashino Rigger C
    Whenever Dynavolt Rigger assembles a contraption, it deals 2 damage to target creature or player.
    2/1

Gearsprout Rigger G
    Creature - Saproling Rigger C
    Whenever Gearsprout Rigger assembles a contraption you may untap up to two target lands.
    1/1

Edit: Oh yes, and I think the memory issues this mechanic would have aren't actually that bad since people can just use the exiled card with a marker as the token. In fact, if it was physically feasible I'd have some kind of 'contraption' empty card frame as a token in this set that you could overlay on top of a card.
    Last edited by CantigThimble; 2017-01-30 at 10:33 PM.

14. - Top - End - #614

Goblin Jury-Rigger - 2R
    Creature - Goblin Rigger - Uncommon
    First Strike
    Whenever Goblin Jury-Rigger deals combat damage to a player, you may have it assemble a contraption you control. (Choose a Contraption you control to become Assembled until end of turn).
    2/2

Spoiler: context
    Show
    Haphazard Golem - 2
    Artifact Creature - Contraption Golem - Common
    Whenever Haphazard Golem becomes Assembled, put two +1/+1 counters on it.
    1/2

Salvaged Timepiece - 1
    Artifact - Contraption - Rare
    U, T: Scry 1.
    Whenever Salvaged Timepiece becomes Assembled, it gains "U, T: Draw two cards." until end of turn.
    Last edited by Gauntlet; 2017-01-30 at 04:52 PM.

15. - Top - End - #615
    Troll in the Playground

I know this doesn't meet the contest criteria because it isn't a creature, but going after what Gauntlet said I envision contraptions as something like the following.

Life Extension Instructions 1
    Artifact - Blueprint U
    Assemble 3 (Tap a creature with total converted mana cost of three or more. Create a token of this card except that token is a contraption instead of its other types and it loses Assemble.)
    1, T, Sacrifice Life Extension Instructions, gain 4 life. Use this ability only if this card is a Contraption.

With this formulation, any creature can assemble a contraption. Steamflogger boss would simply allow your rigger creatures to make 2 tokens when they assemble the contraption. So for example, with this card, steamflogger boss could tap and you can gain 8 life.

Edit:

So for the actual contest with the above interpretation of assemble my submission is:

Steamflogged Maniac R
    Creature - Golbin Rigger C
    Whenever Steamflogged Maniac assembles a contraption you may have Steamflogged Maniac deal 1 damage to target creature or player.
    Goblin tinkers and mechanics don't have the most stable minds to start with. Adding forced labor to the mix makes for a volatile situtation.
    1/1
    Last edited by mystic1110; 2017-02-01 at 11:54 AM.

16. - Top - End - #616

Goblin Jury-Rigger - 2R
    Creature - Goblin Rigger - Uncommon
    First Strike
    Whenever Goblin Jury-Rigger deals combat damage to a player, you may have it assemble a contraption you control. (Choose a Contraption you control to become Assembled until end of turn).
    2/2
    Just wanted to say that this mechanic is rather elegant. My only concern is that, with this design, there's no reason for the CREATURE to be the one assembling something. Unless you introduce a mechanic like "whenever X becomes assembled by a green creatures."

Ingredients

2oz Djinn
    5oz Water
    1 Lime Wedge

Instructions

Pour Djinn and tonic water into a glass filled with ice cubes. Stir well. Garnish with lime wedge. Serve.

17. - Top - End - #617

Quote Originally Posted by Djinn_in_Tonic View Post
    Just wanted to say that this mechanic is rather elegant. My only concern is that, with this design, there's no reason for the CREATURE to be the one assembling something. Unless you introduce a mechanic like "whenever X becomes assembled by a green creatures."
    I didn't think that the info we had on steamflogger boss specified that Assemble was an action only creatures could take? Might have missed it, though.

18. - Top - End - #618

I didn't think that the info we had on steamflogger boss specified that Assemble was an action only creatures could take? Might have missed it, though.
    Well, it does specify that it's an action permanents take. We don't know if it's JUST creatures, but it is odd that it's a keyworded action taken BY the permanent. Which makes it practically unique.

My point is that your card may as well just read "you may assemble target Contraption" instead of "you may have IT assemble," and I feel there needs to be a rules reason for Assemble to be written the way it is.
    Last edited by Djinn_in_Tonic; 2017-01-30 at 05:38 PM.

Ingredients

2oz Djinn
    5oz Water
    1 Lime Wedge

Instructions

19. - Top - End - #619

Nice! I've been wanting something like this since Self-Assembler got synergy outside itself, so here we go.

Monstrous Automaton - 5
    Artifact Creature - Assembly-Worker - U
    Whenever you cast a permanent spell, assemble. (This card creates a colorless Contraption artifact token with "1, sacrifice this artifact: Put a +1/+1 counter on target creature)
    "We've been too nervous to try turning it on." -- Garadel, Chief of Production
    3/5

The obvious parallel here is investigating from SoI, which always seemed like a fun mechanic that didn't get quite enough support to me. Indeed, this card is based off Trail of Evidence. It's a departure from what everybody else is doing, but I don't think it's a bad interpretation.
    LGBTitP
    Proudly Founded Team 2

Nehra, inventor

20. - Top - End - #620
    Ogre in the Playground

XX.2 Contraption: Contraption is a subtype that is always applied to Token Permanents created by an Assemble ability.

Bone Mechanist 2BB
    Creature - Human Cleric Rigger R
    X, exile a non-artifact creature from your graveyard with converted mana cost X, T: ~ Assembles a token that is a copy of the exiled creature, except it is an artifact creature and it gains the Skeleton subtype in addition to its other types.
    Some disdain metal and wood for their contraptions...
    3/3

A bit... basic of a usage, perhaps, but why reinvent the wheel if adding go-faster stripes actually works?
    Last edited by Sgt. Cookie; 2017-01-30 at 06:37 PM.
    Open the lid and snatch a homebrewed treat from Cookie's Jar

Ponytar by Dirtytabs

Quote Originally Posted by DudeWhyAreAllTheNamesTaken(Imgur)
    Chaotic neutral. Might rob you blind. Might save your life. Might do both.

21. - Top - End - #621
    Barbarian in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Tukkaruk Miracle Worker- 2W
    Creature- Human Rigger- U
    When Tukkaruk Miracle Worker enters the battlefield, create a colorless artifact Contraption token.
    Whenever Tukkaruk Miracle Worker assembles a Contraption, that Contraption gains indestructible until end of turn.
    T: Tukkaruk Miracle Worker assembles target Contraption.
    2/2

Spoiler: Context and other examples
    Show

Contraptions are artifact tokens with no text on them otherwise; they only gain abilities from riggers assembling them or other cards dealing with Contraptions.

Goblin Gear-Seer- 1UR
    Creature- Goblin Rigger- U
    When Goblin Gear-Seer enters the battlefield, create a colorless artifact Contraption token.
    Whenever Goblin Gear-Seer assembles a Contraption, that Contraption gains "T: Draw a card, then discard a card" until end of turn.
    T: Goblin Gear-Seer assembles two target Contraptions.
    1/2

Ursa Smith- 1G
    Creature- Human Rigger- C
    When Ursa Smith enters the battlefield, create a colorless artifact Contraption token.
    Whenever Ursa Smith assembles a Contraption, that Contraption becomes a 2/2 Bear Contraption creature until end of turn. It's still an artifact.
    T: Ursa Smith assembles target Contraption.
    2/2
    Last edited by mythmonster2; 2017-01-30 at 10:32 PM.

22. - Top - End - #622

Quote Originally Posted by mythmonster2 View Post
    Tukkaruk Miracle Worker- 2W
    Creature- Human Rigger- U
    When Tukkaruk Miracle Worker enters the battlefield, create a colorless artifact Contraption token.
    Contraptions assembled by Tukkaruk Miracle Worker gain indestructible until end of turn.
    T: Tukkaruk Miracle Worker assembles target Contraption.
    2/2

Spoiler: Context and other examples
    Show

Contraptions are artifact tokens with no text on them otherwise; they only gain abilities from riggers assembling them or other cards dealing with Contraptions.

Goblin Gear-Seer- 1UR
    Creature- Goblin Rigger- U
    When Goblin Gear-Seer enters the battlefield, create a colorless artifact Contraption token.
    Contraptions assembled by Goblin Gear-Seer gain "T: Draw a card, then discard a card" until end of turn
    T: Goblin Gear-Seer assembles two target Contraptions.
    1/2

Ursa Smith- 1G
    Creature- Human Rigger- C
    When Ursa Smith enters the battlefield, create a colorless artifact Contraption token.
    Contraptions assembled by Ursa Smith become 2/2 Bear Contraption creatures until end of turn.
    T: Ursa Smith assembles target Contraption.
    2/2
    The second ability is a static ability with a duration. I'm not sure that works. You could have it be "At the beginning of each upkeep, contraptions assembled by ~ gain/become/have '<whatever>' until end of turn".
    LGBTitP
    Proudly Founded Team 2

Nehra, inventor

23. - Top - End - #623
    Banned

The second ability is a static ability with a duration. I'm not sure that works. You could have it be "At the beginning of each upkeep, contraptions assembled by ~ gain/become/have '<whatever>' until end of turn".
    I assume the ability means that whenever it assembles a contraption, that contraption gets indestructible until end of turn.

24. - Top - End - #624
    Barbarian in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

I assume the ability means that whenever it assembles a contraption, that contraption gets indestructible until end of turn.
    Yes, this second statement is what I meant, but it did still bring up the fact that this is an ambiguous way to state it. I'll make it more clear that assembling only lasts until the end of turn.

25. - Top - End - #625
    Troll in the Playground

Hoverstone Rigger 2U
    Schema - Creatures you control can assemble contraptions named Wing with, "Assembling creature gets +1/+1 and has flying."
    When Hoverstone Rigger enters the battlefield, it assembles a contraption. (Contraptions are artifact tokens. When a creature leaves the battlefield, all of its contraptions are exiled.)
    1/1

Spoiler: Rules Explanation By Way of Another Common's Reminder Text
    Show
    Scrapyard Grunt 1R
    Creature - Goblin Rigger C
    When Scrapyard Grunt enters the battlefield, it assembles a contraption. (Contraptions assembled without a schema are artifact tokens with no abilities. When a creature leaves the battlefield, all of its contraptions are exiled.)
    The scavengers of Rusty Crag are notorious for cobbling things together with no real function in mind.
    2/1

Spoiler: Specific Rules and Printing Info if That's What You're Into
    Show
    Assemble is an action taken by creatures whereby a Contraption artifact token is simultaneously created and attached to the creature.
    - When a creature assembles a contraption, its controller chooses whether to create a, "vanilla," contraption token or to create an alternative token as described by a permanent with a static, "Schema ability." This choice is made on the Assemble ability's resolution; you don't need to pass priority twice every time one of your creatures assembles something.
    - Contraptions have their own subtype and are neither auras nor equipment, though they share some similarities with auras. As the contraption enters the battlefield, it becomes attached to the creature that assembled it, and that creature is said to be, "that contraption's assembler," or, "assembling creature."
    - A creature leaving the battlefield causes all contraptions it is assembling to be exiled simultaneously as something like a replacement effect. This is part of the rules for the Assemble action rather than a quality of the contraptions themselves.
    - A Contraption does not, "fall off," if assembling creature ceases to be a creature nor if that creature gains Protection from Artifacts. It DOES fall off if the assembling creature phases out. This is known as, "Contraption Limbo," which, like Servo Hell, is a place that I'm 85% sure exists only in myth and legend.

This version of Contraptions is meant to feel a little like Populate for equipment. The event packs and preconstructed decks for the Contraption set comes with a small stack of each type of contraption token described in the set's various schemas. There are only about four or five different schemas, and each one has at least a common, an uncommon and a rare that describes it. Plus there are the, "vanilla," contraption tokens with no rules text. It's obviously an artifacts-matter environment and I've had ideas referring to, 'creatures with contraptions,' so even the textless gizmos are going to have some relevance.

Spoiler: More Schema Cards Just for Fun
    Show
    Hoverstone Tutor 1UU
    Creature - Moonfolk Artificer U
    Flying
    Schema - Creatures you control can assemble contraptions named Wing with, "Assembling creature gets +1/+1 and has flying."
    3U, T: Target creature you control assembles a contraption. Activate this ability only any time you could cast a sorcery. (Contraptions are artifact tokens. When a creature leaves the battlefield, all of its contraptions are exiled.)
    2/2

Scrapyard Bonesm'n 1B
    Creature - Skeleton Rigger C
    Schema - Creatures you control can assemble contraptions named Shield with, "Sacrifice Shield: Regenerate assembling creature."
    When Scrapyard Bonesm'n enters the battlefield, it assembles a contraption.
    1/1

Hoverstone Rigger Mk. 2 1W
    When Hoverstone Rigger enters the battlefield, it assembles a contraption. (Contraptions are artifact tokens. When a creature leaves the battlefield, all of its contraptions are exiled.)
    0/1

Rusty Crag Rocketeer 2R
    Creature - Goblin Rigger C
    Schema - Creatures you control can assemble contraptions named Bomb with, "Sacrifice Bomb: Bomb deals 2 damage to target creature or player and 3 damage to assembling creature."
    When Rusty Crag Rocketeer enters the battlefield, it assembles a contraption. (Contraptions are artifact tokens. When a creature leaves the battlefield, all of its contraptions are exiled.)
    1/1

Sky-net Angel 3WW
    Creature - Angel R
    Flying
    When Sky-net Angel enters the battlefield, each other creature you control assembles a contraption.
    4/4

Doctor Boom 3RR
    Legendary Creature - Goblin Rigger MR
    Schema - Creatures you control can assemble contraptions named Bomb with, "Sacrifice Bomb: Bomb deals 2 damage to target creature or player and 3 damage to assembling creature."
    When Doctor Boom enters the battlefield, create 2 1/1 Servo artifact creature tokens, then each of those tokens assembles a contraption.
    R, T: Doctor Boom assembles a contraption.
    4/4
    Last edited by Dr.Gunsforhands; 2017-02-04 at 04:09 PM.
    Nexusites, Margo, Dorothy, Lucca.

26. - Top - End - #626
    Titan in the Playground

Doctor Boom. 5UR

Legendary Creature - Goblin Artificer MR

When Doctorc Boom enters the Battlefield, assemble two contraptions.

Contraptions you control are 1/1 artifact creatures.

When a contraption you control dies, deal 1 damage to a random opponent, or creature you don't control.

7/7

I don't care if this works, it's my only idea.
    Last edited by Mystic Muse; 2017-01-31 at 02:11 AM.
    Avatar by the wonderful BeckyPages. My OC Curtain Call.

My Twitter account, where I will mainly post images of minis I've painted.

27. - Top - End - #627

Quote Originally Posted by Djinn_in_Tonic View Post
    Well, it does specify that it's an action permanents take. We don't know if it's JUST creatures, but it is odd that it's a keyworded action taken BY the permanent. Which makes it practically unique.

My point is that your card may as well just read "you may assemble target Contraption" instead of "you may have IT assemble," and I feel there needs to be a rules reason for Assemble to be written the way it is.
    True, but that applies to Crew as well. The only reason Crewing is done by creatures and not by spells like Start your Engines is that "Crew all vehicles you control" is ambiguous as to whether you still have to pay the cost - "Assemble all contraptions you control" would be the same - if I have a way of assembling my Contraption on the board, do I have to use it or is it free? Instead the creatures do the Assembling, and a spell that does it immediately can instead say "Unassembled Contraptions you control become Assembled until end of turn" and dodge the problem.

28. - Top - End - #628
    Titan in the Playground

Maddened Fleshsculpter-1BB

Creature-Human Rigger-U

T, Sacrifice a creature you control: Assemble a number of contraptions equal to that creature's toughness. (Contraptions are artifact tokens with the name 'Contraption')

There is a beauty to the madness, I just can't see it yet.

1/2
    Last edited by Ionbound; 2017-02-04 at 11:35 PM.

29. - Top - End - #629

Engineer Adept 2U
    Creature - Vedalken Rigger (U)
    Whenever Engineer Adept assembles a Contraption, place an additional assembly counter on that Contraption.
    Whenever Engineer Adept completes a Contraption, draw a card.
    2/3

Haven't figured out how to get the comprehensive rules working for my vision of assembling Contraptions. The basic idea is that Contraptions are artifacts that require a certain number of assembly counters to be completed. Any creature can tap to assemble a Contraption and put an assembly counter on it.

To illustrate, have a Contraption.

Improvised Explosive R
    Artifact - Contraption (C)
    Assembly 2 (Untapped creatures you control can be tapped to assemble a Contraption and put an assembly counter on it. When this Contraption has two assembly counters on it, it is completed.)
    When Improvised Explosive is completed, sacrifice it. It deals 3 damage to target creature or player.

Blue Ghost, Lawful Good generalist wizard, at your service.
    Love wins. S'agapo.

I make MtG cards. My portfolio

30. - Top - End - #630

Studious Replicator 1U
    Creature - Vedalken Rigger U
    Whenever a Rigger you control assembles a Contraption, you can pay 1. If you do, it assembles two Contraptions instead.
    1/3

(I'd understand if I was disqualified for not making a card that directly assembles contraptions, I just don't want to design a mechanic that uses mechanical words clearly reserved by WotC, and am not sure if I could come up with an original mechanic that doesn't step on the toes of other's ideas. This card should work with all implementations of Contraptions that are still compatible with Steamflogger Boss.)
    Last edited by TurboGhast; 2017-02-05 at 11:53 AM.
    Link to true signature
    Feel free to sig anything I post, just do so in quote format.