Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 23 of 50 FirstFirst ... 13141516171819202122232425262728293031323348 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #661
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: MtG - You Make the Card V: Untapped Potential

Spoiler
    Show
    Sudden Resurgence - 2BB
    Instant - Trap - U
    If Sudden Resurgence targets a card that left the battlefield this turn, you may pay 1G instead of its mana cost.
    Return target creature card from the graveyard to the battlefield. Put 2 +1/+1 counters on it.
    When they thought they had destroyed him, he rose again to continue the fight.

Pack Tactics -
    Instant - Trap - R
    If you control an attacking creature with 2 or less toughness, you may pay RUG instead of Pack Tactics' mana cost.
    Create two tokens that are copies of target blocked creature you control, except they're Red and Green in addition to their other colors, lose Trample, and are blocked by the same creature that blocked the creature the tokens copied.
    "Clever girl..." - Robert Muldoon, last words
    Last edited by LastCenturion; 2017-02-12 at 10:06 AM. Reason: Thanks, misothene. Good points.
    LGBTitP
    Proudly Founded Team 2

"Everyone starts off making garbage.
    If you finally make something halfway
    decent, it'll be the best day of your life."
    Nehra, inventor

2. - Top - End - #662
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

Trip mine 3R
    Instant - trap U
    If 2 or more lands entered the battlefield under an opponent's control this turn, you may pay 0 rather than ~'s mana cost.
    Destroy target land
    Being a mime means never having to say you're sorry.

3. - Top - End - #663
    Ghost in the Playground

Kobold

Logic Trap 3UB
    Instant- Trap R
    If an activated or triggered ability is on the stack and Logic Trap targets the source of that ability, you may pay 0 instead of Logic Trap's mana cost.
    Destroy target creature.
    "Now, a clever man would put the poison into his own goblet, because he would know that only a great fool would reach for what he was given. I'm not a great fool, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of you. But you must have known I was not a great fool; you would have counted on it, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of me..."

Quote Originally Posted by Djinn_in_Tonic View Post
    Deadly Plot -- BB
    Instant -- Trap (Uncommon)
    Trigger: If Deadly Plot targets a creature that is blocking or being blocked by a legendary creature, you may pay 0 rather than pay Deadly Plot's mana cost.
    Target creature gains Deathtouch until end of turn. If Deadly Plot was triggered, it gains Indestructible as well.
    The plan was set. All the assassin had to do was wait.

I'm not sure the use of the keyword is necessary here, but it feels cleaner to me. Plus it lets you have trap-based decks with "whenever a Trap triggers" style effects, which might make for an interesting set.
    As you have it now, "Trigger" is an ability word- that is, it has no actual rules meaning, like reminder text or flavor text. As such, the word "triggered" wouldn't have any meaning like "kicked" does since "trigger" wouldn't refer to anything in the rules. You could have it be a real keyword, but then it wouldn't really signify anything- it would just be a marker for "this card has an alternate cost that can be paid under certain conditions," and you would need to spell all that out anyway.

Even then, cards couldn't really look for "whenever a Trap triggers" since the trigger would be in your hand, a hidden zone.

Finally, since "trigger" is already associated with triggered abilities, there would be a lot of vocabulary confusion.

Quote Originally Posted by LastCenturion View Post
    Sudden Resurgence - 2BB
    Instant - Trap - U
    If Sudden Resurgence targets a card that left the battlefield this turn, you may pay 1G instead of its mana cost.
    Return target creature card from the graveyard to the battlefield. Put 2 +1/+1 counters on it.
    "The" graveyard? Which one? Whose?

Also, this card is way stronger than reanimation they print nowadays- it only costs four, it's an instant (making it a potent combat trick) AND it has very large unconditional upside... and that's without factoring in the trap component. Reanimation (without any bells and/or whistles) is usually costed at 5 below rare (maybe 4, but it's been a while) and virtually always at sorcery speed.
    Last edited by Misothene; 2017-02-13 at 01:29 AM.

4. - Top - End - #664
    Barbarian in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Parasitic Burst- 1BG
    Instant (U)
    As an additional cost to cast Parasitic Burst, sacrifice a creature you control.
    Create three green and black 1/1 Spider tokens with deathtouch.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Cease Battle- 2UU
    Instant- R
    End the combat phase. (Remove all creatures from combat. Prevent all combat damage that would be dealt this turn. Effects that trigger "at end of combat" don't trigger.)

Obviously, kind of a complicated effect. I have probably messed up somewhere, but I think that these three effects at least are for sure. The end of combat part is because the end of combat is technically a step within the combat phase, so ending the combat phase would skip straight to the second main phase, assuming I didn't misinterpret that.

Old idea went through a few iterations, but along the way, I lost the "trap" part of it. This one isn't a proper trap either, but it tactically functions as one.
    Last edited by mythmonster2; 2017-02-13 at 12:33 AM.

5. - Top - End - #665
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Misothene View Post
    As you have it now, "Trigger" is an ability word- that is, it has no actual rules meaning, like reminder text or flavor text. As such, the word "triggered" wouldn't have any meaning like "kicked" does since "trigger" wouldn't refer to anything in the rules. You could have it be a real keyword, but then it wouldn't really signify anything- it would just be a marker for "this card has an alternate cost that can be paid under certain conditions," and you would need to spell all that out anyway.

Even then, cards couldn't really look for "whenever a Trap triggers" since the trigger would be in your hand, a hidden zone.

Finally, since "trigger" is already associated with triggered abilities, there would be a lot of vocabulary confusion.
    Fixed, I believe. Made it slightly similar to Kicker.

Ingredients

2oz Djinn
    5oz Water
    1 Lime Wedge

Instructions

Pour Djinn and tonic water into a glass filled with ice cubes. Stir well. Garnish with lime wedge. Serve.

6. - Top - End - #666
    Ghost in the Playground

Kobold

Deadly Plot -- BB
    Entrap: If Deadly Plot targets a creature that is blocking or being blocked by a legendary creature, you may pay 0. If you do, you may play Deadly Plot without paying it's mana cost.
    Target creature gains Deathtouch until end of turn. If Deadly Plot's Entrap cost was payed, it gains Indestructible as well.
    This is closer, but Entrap is still written as an ability word rather than a keyword. A few possible solutions:

1. Just de-italicize "Entrap" and call it a keyword. This would work, but would have a big problem in that it would mean almost nothing, since the condition and cost could vary widely.
    2. Remove the "entrap" text entirely, and say "If no mana was paid to cast Deadly Plot, ..." This would be completely functional, but wouldn't have any "new mechanics" on it.
    3. Keep the ability word, then modify the text to apply under the condition whether the alternate cost was paid or not. In this example, it would be:
    "Entrap- If Deadly Plot targets a creature that is blocking or being blocked by a legendary creature, you may pay 0 instead of paying Deadly Plot's mana cost.
    Target creature gains deathtouch until end of turn. If that creature is blocking or being blocked by a legendary creature, it also gains indestructible until end of turn."
    This would keep the marker of the mechanic, though still have no rules meaning. This would also mean the "bonus" applies whether the alt cost was paid or not, which could matter in some corner cases or for other cards using entrap.

7. - Top - End - #667

Manadrain Trap - 4BR
    Instant - Trap - Rare

If an opponent has four or more mana in their mana pool, you may pay BR rather than pay Manadrain Trap's mana cost.

Split Second
    Manadrain Trap deals damage to target player equal to the amount of mana in that player's mana pool. Then empty that player's mana pool.

8. - Top - End - #668
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Gauntlet View Post
    Manadrain Trap - 4BR
    Instant - Trap - Rare

If an opponent has four or more mana in their mana pool, you may pay BR rather than pay Manadrain Trap's mana cost.

Split Second
    Manadrain Trap deals damage to target player equal to the amount of mana in that player's mana pool. Then empty that player's mana pool.
    Pretty sure this wouldn't work as you intend it to. Lands and mana abilities don't use the stack so you don't get priority before the mana gets used. Not many cases where the spell actually does anything and even fewer where the trap works. Maybe tap lands and empty the mana pool like Mana Short?

9. - Top - End - #669

Quote Originally Posted by Tom the Mime View Post
    Pretty sure this wouldn't work as you intend it to. Lands and mana abilities don't use the stack so you don't get priority before the mana gets used. Not many cases where the spell actually does anything and even fewer where the trap works. Maybe tap lands and empty the mana pool like Mana Short?
    It doesn't work unless your opponent is floating mana in between spells, yes. This does happen a reasonable amount in Commander and anywhere involving land destruction, untap effects or rituals/LEDs, but admittedly it's not exactly good in Standard.

10. - Top - End - #670
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

False Revelations 6BB
    Sorcery - R
    Target opponent discards 5 cards and loses 5 life.
    If an opponent drew 5 or more cards this turn you may cast False revelations as if it had flash and pay 1B instead of paying its mana cost.
    "Isperia was a spook."
    -Lazav, Dimir Mastermind
    Last edited by CantigThimble; 2017-02-19 at 05:10 PM.

11. - Top - End - #671

Empty City Ambush 3WW
    Instant (R)
    Empty City Ambush costs 3 less to cast if you control no creatures.
    For each creature attacking you, create three 1/1 white Soldier creature tokens blocking that creature.

Blue Ghost, Lawful Good generalist wizard, at your service.
    Love wins. S'agapo.

I make MtG cards. My portfolio

12. - Top - End - #672
    Ogre in the Playground

Spell Trap - 3
    Artifact - R
    Imprint - When Spell Trap enters the battlefield, look at the top four cards of your library, exile one face down, then put the rest on the bottom of your library in any order.
    When an opponent casts an instant or sorcery spell, sacrifice Spell Trap and turn the exiled card face up. If it's an instant or sorcery card, you may cast it without paying its mana cost.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Cizak View Post
    I'm gonna be against the flow here and say outlined.

What? Everyone else are against the flow too, okay?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    In the grim statistics of the far future, there is only math.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    Most Hilarious Murderer in the Playground. Both his episodes of hysterically ending my life left me chuckling even hours later when I thought about them.
    And more in the extended signature!

Extended signature

13. - Top - End - #673
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm pretty sure we're overdue for some judging right about now.
    Open the lid and snatch a homebrewed treat from Cookie's Jar

Ponytar by Dirtytabs

Quote Originally Posted by DudeWhyAreAllTheNamesTaken(Imgur)
    Chaotic neutral. Might rob you blind. Might save your life. Might do both.

14. - Top - End - #674
    Troll in the Playground

(Sorry for the lateness. I have some time set aside tomorrow for judging, so expect it within 24 hours of... now!)
    Last edited by Dr.Gunsforhands; 2017-02-18 at 11:44 PM.
    Nexusites, Margo, Dorothy, Lucca.

15. - Top - End - #675
    Troll in the Playground

Judging Round 1!

Spoiler: DiT - Deadly Plot
    Show
    Deadly Plot -- BB
    Entrap: If Deadly Plot targets a creature that is blocking or being blocked by a legendary creature, you may pay 0. If you do, you may play Deadly Plot without paying it's mana cost.
    Target creature gains Deathtouch until end of turn. If Deadly Plot's Entrap cost was payed, it gains Indestructible as well.
    I actually kind of like the flavor of the trap's trigger condition, though the wording of the Entrap ability seems weirdly awkward. Like, somehow you pay 0 while casting it, and then you cast it for free after that? I think the usual way of saying it is, "If Deadly Plot targets a creature that's blocking or blocked by a legendary creature, you may pay 0 instead of paying Deadly Plot's mana cost."

I'm also not sure about punishing your opponent for using legendary creatures. Up until now I was imagining a mirror image of this card, rewarding yourself for playing legends by destroying a hapless target. Either way is interesting enough, though.

Spoiler: JG - Mirror Force
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Jormengand View Post
    Mirror Force 4WW
    Instant R
    Destroy all attacking creatures.
    The army of the dark saw in their reflections what they had become, and in a moment were consumed by the light of the pure and the righteous.
    This certainly earns Admiral Ackbar's award for having firepower of the proper magnitude. This thing's pretty dangerous! Then again, the cases where it's a true one-sided board wipe are similar to the cases where you're topdecking into a come-from-behind victory, and even then it won't take long for a good opponent to smell this coming.

I think it's most frustrating when you and your opponent have been in a board stall for a while. Never again will anyone be able to Overrun their way to victory in Magic: the Gathering. ...except I guess that you can sometimes get the same effect with Fog, huh? I haven't seen a lot of fog effects in the most recent sets, either. Hmm...

All in all, it's pretty exciting, but I suspect there's a reason they didn't make it already. Also the flavor is a little weird. I guess that's what happens when you base something on a Yu-gi-oh card.

Spoiler: BoP - Surprising Upheaval
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by BasketOfPuppies View Post
    Surprising Upheaval 7UU
    Instant- Trap R
    If an opponent has had 3 or more nonland permanents enter the battlefield under their control this turn, you may pay 3UU instead of ~'s casting cost
    Return all nonland permanents you don't control to their owner's hands.
    Five is still a lot of mana to leave open for such a weird trap. However! If you also have an expensive counterspell in hand, your hand is suddenly much better against a creature-spamming opponent. I can get behind indirectly buffing the new counterspells, so in the end I guess I can get behind this!

Spoiler: TC - Summon Snatch
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by TiaC View Post
    Summon Snatch 3UU
    Instant
    If an opponent controls no untapped lands, you may pay 1UU instead of ~'s casting cost.
    Gain control of target creature spell.
    This card is weird. It would probably be great even without the trap condition; a five-mana Mind Control is nothing to scoff at, even if you're kind of rolling the dice on what you'll get to steal. The trap condition itself is quite interesting, too. It rewards you for stealing smaller creatures earlier, before your opponent has an excess of mana. I'd probably lean toward making it more expensive in both modes, but if you want it to be a valuable rare for the set, you could probably get away with raising the base cost to 4UU or 5UU and keeping the alternate cost the same.

As much as I like the way this card plays, I can't help but wonder if this really feels like a trap, even though it uses the trap mechanics. "Haha! You've fallen into my trap! That'll teach you to spend your mana efficiently!"

Spoiler: SC - Summoner's Trap
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Sgt. Cookie View Post
    Summoner's Trick 3GG
    Instant - Trap
    If you control no creatures and it is not your turn, you may pay 1GG instead of ~'s casting cost.
    You may cast a creature spell this turn as if it had flash.
    The next creature spell you cast this turn costs 2 and one mana of any colour less to cast.
    A summoner is never alone.
    The original Flash wasn't banned because it let you cast a creature when it's not your turn; it was banned because it let you cast a creature when it's not your turn for free. Spending a card just to give a creature flash is generally not considered, "enough." See Savage Summoning (which adds a counter) and Scout's Warning (which draws a card).

What you're going for isn't exactly a bad Savage Summoning, though. Your wording is a bit awkward at the moment, but I can see that you're trying to make it fix your mana in an interesting way. Maybe something like this:

Summoner's Trick 1GG
    Instant - U
    Add 3 mana in any combination of colors to your mana pool. Use this mana only to cast creature spells.
    You may cast creature spells this turn as though they had flash.
    If it were just this, I would like it a lot better! The flavor of suddenly summoning an off-color creature or two that your opponent wasn't expecting could still make this feel traplike without needing the Trap subtype.

Spoiler: TG - Mirror Trap
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by TurboGhast View Post
    Mirror Trap 4U
    Instant - Trap R
    If a red or green creature an opponent controls is attacking, you may pay 1UU rather than pay Mirror Trap's mana cost.
    Create a token that's a copy of target creature you don't control, except it's blue.
    The color dependency of the card is a bit weird - you could have just made it cost less to target an attacking creature, like DiT was trying to do. I guess phrasing that version of a Trap condition is harder than I thought.

A five-mana clone isn't great. A 3-mana clone with flash is really just kind of okay in the big scheme of things. So, mechanically, I guess it's not very exciting, which is a shame because I actually really like it. I'm just staring at it, wanting it to be better somehow.

Spoiler: BZB - Box of Scorpions
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Beelzebub1111 View Post
    Box of Scorpions 4BG
    Instant - trap
    If an opponent gained control of a permanent you own this turn, this spell costs BG
    Target player takes 2 damage and gains 2 poison counters
    "Huh, that's an interesting trap condition! I wonder what it does that is specifically related to - oh. ...oh. Never mind."

Spoiler: M1110 - Not Your Friend
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by mystic1110 View Post
    Not Your Friend B
    Creature - Human Rogue R
    When Not Your Friend enters the battlefield name a card type, choose a color and target opponent gains control of it.
    Whenever you cast a card of the named card type and the chosen color each opponent may cast one card from their hand as if it had flash and without paying its mana cost.
    "He seems like a good guy"
    3/3
    I do not like this card.

It's not because it's overpowered! I'm not convinced that it is; you're giving your opponent a 3/3 and the ability to play around your obvious plan to summon Emrakul. If that means they have to kill it, they have to kill it; if they can't kill it right away without triggering your trap, then you have apparently named Instant as the offending card type, which is fine with me. Plus, there are some formats where it's not even as powerful as that. Conspiracy comes to mind.

I even like the idea! It's a spy who uses enemy resources in a very specific manner to give your plans an astonishing head start, assuming your opponent plays right into your clutches. Sweet!

The reason I do not like this card is that I can not read the first sentence without thinking, "...they gain control of the color?"

- - - Updated - - -

Judging Round 2!

Spoiler: LC - Pack Tactics
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by LastCenturion View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sudden Resurgence - 2BB
    Instant - Trap - U
    DG EASTER EGG: I actually like this card a lot. I mean, the mana costs could stand to be adjusted quite a bit, but the pitch for the concept is amazing.

Pack Tactics -
    Instant - Trap - R
    If you control an attacking creature with 2 or less toughness, you may pay RUG instead of Pack Tactics' mana cost.
    Create two tokens that are copies of target blocked creature you control, except they're Red and Green in addition to their other colors, lose Trample, and are blocked by the same creature that blocked the creature the tokens copied.
    "Clever girl..." - Robert Muldoon, last words
    EDIT: I almost forgot to review this card. Which is fitting, because I think you forgot to give it a mana cost? I don't think this really needed a trap condition to work, and a spell that's in 3 colors needing an odd condition to work right makes me scratch my head. Just move the cost to its proper spot and, if you must, specify that it hits Target Blocked Creature You Control With Toughness 2 or Less.

Spoiler: TtM - Trip Mine
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom the Mime View Post
    Trip mine 3R
    Instant - trap U
    If 2 or more lands entered the battlefield under an opponent's control this turn, you may pay 0 rather than ~'s mana cost.
    Destroy target land
    Uh, congratulations on the birth of your first child???

I actually like the idea for this card a lot - it punishes your opponent, but only when tit doesn't set them that far behind. I do wonder if this would cause problems in eternal formats, though. They depend so highly on lands that sacrifice themselves to search up other lands, and if you catch someone using one of those, you really CAN set them back.

Spoiler: MT - Logic Trap
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Misothene View Post
    Logic Trap 3UB
    Instant- Trap R
    If an activated or triggered ability is on the stack and Logic Trap targets the source of that ability, you may pay 0 instead of Logic Trap's mana cost.
    Destroy target creature.
    "Now, a clever man would put the poison into his own goblet, because he would know that only a great fool would reach for what he was given. I'm not a great fool, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of you. But you must have known I was not a great fool; you would have counted on it, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of me..."
    Okay, I like this. Including the Princess Bride reference. And the fact that you're doing something that a couple of other people had trouble doing with that trap condition. The biggest problem with it is that you can sideboard it into a green deck to counter a lot of different strategies. Such is the problem with these 0-cost traps!

Spoiler: MM2 - Parasitic Burst
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by mythmonster2 View Post
    Parasitic Burst- 1BG
    Instant (U)
    As an additional cost to cast Parasitic Burst, sacrifice a creature you control.
    Create three green and black 1/1 Spider tokens with deathtouch.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Cease Battle- 2UU
    Instant- R
    End the combat phase. (Remove all creatures from combat. Prevent all combat damage that would be dealt this turn. Effects that trigger "at end of combat" don't trigger.)

Obviously, kind of a complicated effect. I have probably messed up somewhere, but I think that these three effects at least are for sure. The end of combat part is because the end of combat is technically a step within the combat phase, so ending the combat phase would skip straight to the second main phase, assuming I didn't misinterpret that.
    DG EASTER EGG: It's a needlessly complicated 4-mana Fog? Yeah, I can see how it didn't make the cut.
    Admiral Ackbar's looking pretty upset! I like Parasitic Burst a lot - one of your creatures explodes into a pile of dangerous blockers. I can't endorse using non-reach Spiders, though. Insects will be much better for the job.

Spoiler: GT - Manadrain Trap
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Gauntlet View Post
    Manadrain Trap - 4BR
    Instant - Trap - Rare

Split Second
    I think people have been over why this doesn't work. To get the effect you want, you probably just need to make a red/blue counterspell of some kind.

Spoiler: CT - False Revelations
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by CantigThimble View Post
    False Revelations 6BB
    Sorcery - R
    Target opponent discards 5 cards and loses 5 life.
    If an opponent drew 5 or more cards this turn you may cast False revelations as if it had flash and pay 1B instead of paying its mana cost.
    I actually kind of like this! No one will ever actually trigger that trap condition, but maybe if you throw it in a Commander deck and play enough games...

Spoiler: BG - Empty City Ambush
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Ghost View Post
    Empty City Ambush 3WW
    Instant (R)
    Empty City Ambush costs 3 less to cast if you control no creatures.
    For each creature attacking you, create three 1/1 white Soldier creature tokens blocking that creature.
    Maximum Ackbar achieved! The equivalent of 3 damage to each attacking creature is still a pretty big deal, but it sounds about right for 5 mana and the alternate cost requires a specific style of play that telegraphs it. I can overthink this and say that it's occasionally an extremely overpowered version of Raise the Alarm, but it makes you block with the tokens, so there usually won't be too many left over after the smoke clears. It doesn't punish an Overrun in the same way as JG's card, either - it just barely counteracts it. Interesting!

Spoiler: NjM - Spell Trap
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninjaman View Post
    Spell Trap - 3
    Artifact - R
    Imprint - When Spell Trap enters the battlefield, look at the top four cards of your library, exile one face down, then put the rest on the bottom of your library in any order.
    When an opponent casts an instant or sorcery spell, sacrifice Spell Trap and turn the exiled card face up. If it's an instant or sorcery card, you may cast it without paying its mana cost.
    I think my favorite part about this card is that the trap always has some chance to be a dud. Sometimes a green opponent will bend over backwards to avoid calling your bluff, but usually they'll just ignore it. "It's just something from the top of their library," they'll think. "How bad can it be? Also, it's not like I can just avoid playing my cards forever, so against my deck it's really more like a timer than a trap to be honest."

Then the hidden card will turn out to be a Cruel Ultimatum and they'll cry. Neat!
    Last edited by Dr.Gunsforhands; 2017-02-19 at 07:04 PM.

16. - Top - End - #676
    Troll in the Playground

When I saw Empty City Ambush, I immediately knew that it would be a top contender, and Spell Trap managed to sneak in right alongside it. Still, I guess I can only pick one.

Blue Ghost wins the game!
    Last edited by Dr.Gunsforhands; 2017-02-19 at 06:44 PM.

17. - Top - End - #677

It was actually intentional to have no mana cost, but simplifying it like you suggested would have worked as well. Congratulations, Blue Ghost.
    LGBTitP
    Proudly Founded Team 2

Nehra, inventor

18. - Top - End - #678
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

False Revelations was designed as a counter to a format with effects like sphinx's revelation, though I was also concerned that it might be too good if there were prosperity effects in the format. For example, prosperity for 5, false revelation (or 2x false revelation for ultimate brutal value). It's expensive of course but I bet some decks could pull of nasty tricks like that.

19. - Top - End - #679
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CantigThimble View Post
    False Revelations was designed as a counter to a format with effects like sphinx's revelation, though I was also concerned that it might be too good if there were prosperity effects in the format. For example, prosperity for 5, false revelation (or 2x false revelation for ultimate brutal value). It's expensive of course but I bet some decks could pull of nasty tricks like that.
    Really, I'd be more interested in running this alongside stuff like Howling Mine and Burning Inquiry. Why wait for your opponent to draw a million cards when you can shove the cards in their face yourself?

20. - Top - End - #680
    Ogre in the Playground

I have an EDH deck that actually utilises a concept like that.

Alongside effects that punish opponents depending on hand size. It's great fun.
    Open the lid and snatch a homebrewed treat from Cookie's Jar

Ponytar by Dirtytabs

Quote Originally Posted by DudeWhyAreAllTheNamesTaken(Imgur)
    Chaotic neutral. Might rob you blind. Might save your life. Might do both.

21. - Top - End - #681

The balance of Mirror Trap was based on Stunt Double. My card probably would've been better without the color limitations in the alternate cost, since it cost more than the card I was basing it on.
    Link to true signature
    Feel free to sig anything I post, just do so in quote format.

22. - Top - End - #682

Ooh, thanks! I didn't expect to win this round. A lot of great entries, and thanks to Dr. Gunsforhands for the insightful critiques!

So, last week we did traps. This week, let's do...

Make a curse!

It may or may not have the Curse subtype. Make a card that represents some kind of curse, in mechanics and flavor.

Blue Ghost, Lawful Good generalist wizard, at your service.
    Love wins. S'agapo.

I make MtG cards. My portfolio

23. - Top - End - #683
    Banned

Burning Hate 2BRG
    Enchantment - Aura Curse U
    Enchant Player
    Whenever a creature attacks enchanted player, that creature’s controller may put two +1/+1 counters on it.
    I’ve given up on hating people, but I know some people who still do it. Maybe you’d like to meet them?
    Last edited by Jormengand; 2017-02-21 at 05:24 AM.

24. - Top - End - #684

Curse of Eldritch Secrets - 2UB
    Enchantment - Aura Curse - Rare

Enchant player
    Enchanted player can't cast spells from their hand.
    Nonland cards enchanted player owns that aren't on the battlefield have Madness. The madness cost is equal to that card's mana cost.
    At the beginning of enchanted player's end step, that player discards two cards.
    Last edited by Gauntlet; 2017-02-20 at 05:59 AM.

25. - Top - End - #685
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

Ooh, good point. The design was for anti-ramp and balanced for that but I forgot about fetch lands and any decent number of fetch lands in a format would make it break it entirely.

26. - Top - End - #686
    Titan in the Playground

Curse of Prices Paid-1BW

Enchantment - Aura Curse - R

Enchant Player.

Whenever a non-land permanent another player controls leaves the battlefield, enchanted player sacrifices a permanent they control.

Ashes for ashes, dust for dust.
    Last edited by Ionbound; 2017-02-20 at 11:50 PM.

27. - Top - End - #687

Quote Originally Posted by Ionbound View Post
    Curse of Prices Paid-1BW

Enchant Player.

Whenever a permanent another player controls leaves the battlefield, enchanted player sacrifices a permanent they control.

Ashes for ashes, dust for dust.
    Fetchlands.

28. - Top - End - #688
    Orc in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Jormengand View Post
    Burning Hate 2BRG
    Enchantment - Aura Curse U
    Enchant Player
    Whenever a creature attacks enchanted player, that creature’s controller may put a +1/+1 counter on it.
    I’ve given up on hating people, but I know some people who still do it. Maybe you’d like to meet them?
    This curse already exists, and costs less, and is mono green, and is called curse of predation
    The first rule of gaming, before you have even chosen the game is and always should be

HAVE FUN

(FUN being defined as it is in dwarf fortress)

29. - Top - End - #689

Temporal Stasis - 8UUU
    Enchant Player, Fading 3.
    Enchanted player cannot gain or lose life, lose the game, gain or lose counters, untap permanents, discard cards, attack with creatures, cast spells, or activate abilities that are not mana abilities. Triggered abilities controlled by enchanted player do not trigger. Permanents enchanted player controls have indestructible and cannot be exiled.
    When Temporal Stasis leaves the battlefield, enchanted player takes an extra turn after their next turn.
    It gathered dust for ages, then sprung into action.

I realize that it's a "target player can't play the game" ability, but I tried to mitigate that by not letting their hand overflow, not letting them lose the game, letting them still develop a mana base by playing lands, and giving them the extra turn afterwards, which I think balances it. It's even a decent turn 11 play targeting yourself, for the three turns of invulnerability and the extra turn when it's over. I'm trying to figure out how to cut down on the 70 word text box, so suggestions are welcome.
    LGBTitP
    Proudly Founded Team 2

Nehra, inventor

30. - Top - End - #690
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by braveheart View Post
    This curse already exists, and costs less, and is mono green, and is called curse of predation
    There's also a mono red version that costs even less called curse of stalked prey

Extended Sig

Quote Originally Posted by Duck999 View Post
    Christmas starts when Halloween ends, Halloween starts after New Year. The only part of the year that isn't a holiday is between Christmas and December 31st.