Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 29 of 50 FirstFirst ... 4192021222324252627282930313233343536373839 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #841
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: MtG - You Make the Card V: Untapped Potential

Quote Originally Posted by CantigThimble View Post
    Show and tell would also work.
    I'm not sure on the details, but Omniscience could, I think.
    LGBTitP
    Proudly Founded Team 2

"Everyone starts off making garbage.
    If you finally make something halfway
    decent, it'll be the best day of your life."
    Nehra, inventor

2. - Top - End - #842
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LastCenturion View Post
    I'm not sure on the details, but Omniscience could, I think.
    117.6a If an unpayable cost is increased by an effect or an additional cost is imposed, the cost is still unpayable. If an alternative cost is applied to an unpayable cost, including an effect that allows a player to cast a spell without paying its mana cost, the alternative cost may be paid.

So yep. It works. It's an alternative cost (nothing) applied to an unpayable cost, so you can cast it just fine.

Ingredients

2oz Djinn
    5oz Water
    1 Lime Wedge

Instructions

Pour Djinn and tonic water into a glass filled with ice cubes. Stir well. Garnish with lime wedge. Serve.

3. - Top - End - #843

Quote Originally Posted by Djinn_in_Tonic View Post
    117.6a If an unpayable cost is increased by an effect or an additional cost is imposed, the cost is still unpayable. If an alternative cost is applied to an unpayable cost, including an effect that allows a player to cast a spell without paying its mana cost, the alternative cost may be paid.

So yep. It works. It's an alternative cost (nothing) applied to an unpayable cost, so you can cast it just fine.
    Cool! The 100s have always been my favorite section of rules. You get really useful clarifications like that, and you also get gems like 117.8b.
    Quote Originally Posted by 117.8b
    Some additional costs are optional.
    LGBTitP
    Proudly Founded Team 2

Nehra, inventor

4. - Top - End - #844
    Halfling in the Playground

Spoiler: PART1
    Show
    Beelzebub1111's Skull Island
    I'm pretty sure phasing has been declared a mechanic that we'll never get back, and even if it hasn't been, I still very much feel Magic has outgrown it as a function. Nowadays we have cleaner, more intuitive ways to get cards to do similar things. This would be a pretty neat tribal land with "1U, T: Target Pirate or Rogue gains hexproof until end of turn" or "1U, T: Exile up to [N] Pirate or Rogues you control, then return them to the battlefield." Otherwise, this is a very flavorful card that really sets the scene for a seafaring set, and I think it was very thoughtful to include Pirates and Rogues. With one of the fixes I mentioned above, this could have a place as a uncommon non-legendary land, maybe part of a cycle, but this works too, and is more flavorful.

TurboGhast's Expert Smuggler

Gold tokens are more or less a no-brainer for a pirate set, and this is a solid, understandable implementation of them. Although this is completely natural and in-color for Izzet, I be just a tick more comfortable with this as blue black. The ability to be 100% unblockable seems better in those colors, and black has the most experience with Gold tokens anyway. Other than that, I would put this at uncommon power levels currently. Its evasion can give you the edge in a drawn out game, but when you're planning on swinging big (likely to happen when playing red) this guy sits at being a 2/2 for 4, which is very very disappointing to draft as a multicolor rare. At 1UR (or 1UB) this would probably be very pushed, but would live up to its rarity and role in a limited environment. Love the flavor text.

Dr Guns' Sailspinner Spider

I think you are very much correct in your analysis of green in a seafaring set. Green has pretty much zero precedent for cards related in any way to bodies of water, so in my mind, there are two ways you can go: You can expand on green's piece of the flavor pie in the ideas of exploration, creating cards that represent cartographers and naturists and trailblazers, but to me that is stepping on the toes of white and blue flavor. Secondly, cards could be made like yours, representing the minority side of "uncharted" land-dwelling creatures and populations that are juxtaposed with an imperialist faction. Good job handling that.

Mechanically, you have a very well crafted uncommon here. The 2/4 reach for 4 is quite a staple/touchstone for green common and uncommon flyer hate, and I think you've buffed and updated that template to a cool, smoothly-functioning, fun place. I wouldn't mind seeing this fight/provoke/"attack a minion" effect appear across a few green cards in the future, as it's very in color. The only clunky part is that in addition to the spider fighting a creature, it can still be blocked as normal, which is sort of counter intuitive. I'd craft is like provoke: "Whenever ~ attacks, you may have target creature with flying defending player controls untap it and block it this combat if able."

Basket of Puppies' Sea Swallower

I appreciate the take on a sea monster. Magic has a history of huge blue leviathans that could definitely be called back to in a pirate set. I think this example might be a bit overdone, though. First, this is a ways below the complexity line for a mythic rare. In terms of simplicity, this card is uncommon, but it's enough of a bomb (it has a "splash" effect in games, if you will) that it would probably sit at rare. Second, there's no reason for this to be legendary; it doesn't even have a individualized name. Third, I don't think any cards without cost-reducing effects should ever sit at 11 mana, especially in the color with the least ramp. At rare, this could cost 5UUU and it would still be widely unplayable, outside of some Commander builds. Very clean idea overall, it just needed some tuning around the edges.

5a Violista's Skyship Mechane

I'm quite surprised you were the only person to enter a ship representing by the Vehicle type. There's a lot of mechanical and flavor space to work with there. Kudos for doing what you did in that way.

I saw enough rare bomb Vehicles in my time in Kaladesh that I've grown to be very weary and hateful towards these fast efficient flyers. Although the first two I linked to didn't prove to be completely busted in Standard environments, I still worry about this card alone easily finishing games by turn 7/8. And even though we're not supposed to evaluate rares based on their impact in Limited playing, I still worry about how frustrating this can be for players who didn't draft flying or instant removal (although is coming from someone who, at his last Sealed, played an opponent in the third round with two Aethersphere Harvesters and a Skysovereign fully equipped with Siege Modifications and Built to Smash.) Overall, I hate that this is a 5/4 flyer for 4, but I guess it's fine by the bar set in Kaladesh.

As for the abilities, I really have no problem with the first one, although the wording could be cleaned up. Seems cool in practice and I haven't seen those effects put together before. It also works in colorless, in my opinion. The only real bad thing here is the second ability, which makes no sense to me. I'd replace it with some other rare effect, maybe using cards as a resource to work with the first ability. Cool cool.

Gandariel's Small Time Seafarer *joke entry*

Pirate Warrior is the bane of anything that has ever existed and anyone that has ever even dreamed of having fun. Coming from me, a RenoLock player. It makes me miss Armor/Control Warrior, and that says something major.

Looking at this seriously in terms of Magic: the Gathering, I would love to see this effect of searching libraries for specific cards to be explored more, like on that one Nissa or Squadron Hawk. For Limited and budget purposes, I think it's best left to commons searching for other commons, or rares searching for particular commons. Interesting.

Spoiler: PART2
    Show
    Gauntlet's Fogbound Treasures

I quite like the idea behind your cycle; we really don't get enough of these goofy enchantments printed, even though there's so much design space in them. However, looking at this card, or any member of the cycle, outside of the group, it seems sort of janky. Discounting the blue and green ones, each enchantment is made up of two wildly different effects on opposite ends of the color's pie. And one triggers every turn, while on requires permanent sacrifice, something set pretty distinctly in different colors?

Power level wise, none of these are stupidly out of wack in either direction, so there's that positive, although the green one's second effect is pretty crippling. Looking at your official submission, I don't really like how the first ability plays out. A slow, one-sided drain isn't a very fun element to add into the background of game. Usually drain effects are best limited to a specific trigger, that can be played into or around.

Overall though, I love the idea of enchantments representing the curses and boons around buried treasure, and I'd be sure to include that in my own set.

mystic1110's Cartuga Sellsword

This is great design space for a Gold token theme in a pirate set. The fact that it's in black makes me even happier. Obviously it depends on the accessibility of these tokens, but I despise the possibility of getting a 4/3 from your hand without tapping any lands, especially when getting a token on the first or second turn of the game could be a possibility. The numbers could be slightly tweaked around to make this card pushed but not explosive. Maybe a 3/1 for 3/2 for 1B would work. Very nice concept, close to solid execution.

Djinn_in_Tonic's Black Lusca Thug

Press gang is a thoughtful mechanic, in its flavor and the intention behind its design. Representing ideas of pirate intimidation, and joining a crew through mechanics is a neat thing to try, and this looked clever to me at first. However, I think the current state of the mechanic is inherently flawed, just in the way that it is too game-twisting too appear across many cards in a set. While alternate cost mechanics are fun, especially kicker-type ones that make a card valuable late game, this mechanic is control-taking, decidedly blue, on top of removal, decidedly white or black, so it just feels awkward in this state. It's not game-breaking though. I thought what you did was very clever, and it was nice to see that you put thought into the setting around your submission.

CatnigThimble's Bloodclaw Musketeer

Reaver needs a new wording, and maybe a new name, as to me personally it doesn't feel particularly pirate-y, but I like it a lot. It's Raid from Khans of Tarkir, but it's inclusive to activated abilities that tap, and sort of like you said, that's a genius way to work an ability into a set's mechanical theme. Your card is very smartly balanced. 3/1s for 3 suck, even at common, but the reward for playing it right goes beyond the first dimension of having an efficient 4/2 body, and it's not overpowered at all. Great job.

Blue Ghost's Cursed Dreadship

Your use of forecast on this card is chilling to me in how spot-on it feels. I can only associate dreadships, and mysterious boats in general, with the iconic image of them and their lights phasing in and out of ocean fog. This taps right into that image, and that is soooo juicy. Using the forecast ability in-game channels such an aesthetic, and generates a reputation and fear for the ghost ship. Apart from that artful flavor, it took me a second to recognize the flavor-to-card relationship with the second line. As incidents happen with the ship creeping out from the fog and claiming victims, casualties accumulate until they all return as members of the ghost ship. And if that isn't the sickest, most brutal sh*t I've ever seen in Magic card then I'll be damned to Kalamazoo. Although there are mildly janky parts of this card, like the counting needed for its stats, which can lead to confusing rules scenarios, and the super efficient mill it gives access to, the feels this card brings to a game are out of this world. Sets of Magic cards are designed in a way that they cohesively convey a setting to the players, who can experience the gameplay in a way that is unique to that setting. The setting is very strong in this card.

Last Centurion's Treasure Map

Solid way to set the scene of treasure maps and exploration. Repeatable ramp is weird when accessible to all colors, but this is slow enough and weak enough that I wouldn't anticipate any complaints surrounding this card. Cool. Might be workable into a common.

Jormengand's Chainshot

There is quite a stigma attached to all mechanics with the word "storm" in their name, but I like this version a lot. It brings the feeling of pirate raids to life. There are a lot of good designs waiting in this mechanic. Chain Shot itself is pretty disappointing to, having to attack with three creatures just to be on par for value. Maybe make the damage divisible? It needs some sort of small buff. My only other quarrel is that Raidstorm also counts creatures that attacked you this turn, which is very weird to see in red, especially when that effect is so white to me, but it's not a deal breaker.

Bucky's Parting Shot Scoundrel

Needs rewording, but still is a solid, if very very very slightly weak red pirate. It can, in a way, be a 4/3 for 3, but 2/3s for 3 in red feel bad to play. I like this version of guns in Magic a lot. Feels like picking someone off at a range. I also like the balancing point of only being able to activate the ability if the guy survived the initial fight.

Spoiler: PART3
    Show
    Tom the Mime's Walk the Plank

Walk the plank removal would need to exist a pirate set. I don't have an issue with the power level of this implementation of that, but it's a little bland in its feel.

braveheart's Shanghaied

Interesting choice of flavor you went for. We've seen this effect before in Magic, but you recreated it as mutiny or betrayal instead of mind control. Right now it is very weak though, especially at rare. I'd give it a solid dread pirate body, or reduce the cost to 4/5.

mythmonster2's Company Tax

As someone who usually finds tax cards to unfun for the taxed, unrewarding for the ones taxing, and just detrimental to the game's pace in general, I'm really not annoyed by this card, so very nice job there. Early game, when taxes matter, it doesn't feel super bad to play against, since the owner won't gain too much life, since you're playing early game cards, and the feelbadness is usually the main issue with tax cards. The power of this card does fall off terribly late game, which kind of sucks for a two color card that doesn't impact the board state. Maybe it's fine as is though.

Ninjaman's Rogue Seafarer

A clean way to represent green's exploration side. Seems kind of weak in its current state though. Paying 4 mana for an uncommon in green makes me want a pretty heavy board presence, and this is just a 3/3 that draws me lands. It's very flavorful though.

Ionbound's With Catlike Tread

I'm torn on whether this card should be blue black or white blue. The flavor, and the strict unblockability seem very Dimir to me, but I hate to give a lifelink anthem to a card just because it's black, especially when blue is in the picture. Overall this effect is weird to use, since it does hopefully put you up quite a bit of life, but it also leaves to upon to be punched back down. Maybe this could be the ETB effect on a defensive body.

Gandariel's Seafaring Pillager

As someone who's always strived to make aggressive or tempo blue work in Limited, I like this as an aggro two-drop. Such rewarding on-hit abilities are very disappointing to play with without evasion. Maybe this could be 2U with skulk? Also, although the two effects are both in color and could both be useful to different archetypes, they are very separate on their own and make this card awkward.

ben-zayb's Crimsonskull Quartermaster

Should be ordered "ETB or becomes tapped" I believe. I like the Vehicle synergy a lot. I like the fact that it's a Goblin Pirate. The effect is very well placed for the role this card plays in an aggressive archetype, and can prove to be a powerhouse with the right board. The body is not very intimidating though. Even when the creature is a goblin, I think red can get better than a 2/2 for 4 mana. 2/3 or 3/3 would work. I also like the subtle double synergy that this guy can buff pirates to help crew ships.

Mystic Muse's PWDDA

I don't think the lines as written work, but as read and understood these pirates truly don't do much. That counts as a success I think.

Spoiler: shiver me timbers
    Show
    3: Jormengand's Chain Shot
    2: Bloodclaw Musketeer by CatnigThimble
    1: Cursed Dreadship by Blue Ghost
    My Autobiography: 50 Feet Away, Chained to a Rock, and Surrounded by Werebears.

See that amazing avatar up there? You can get your own! Just ask Ceika!

Previously known as TheHatMan

5. - Top - End - #845
    Ogre in the Playground

You missed mine! Reposting so you don't have to go looking for it:

Spoiler
    Show
    Loot The Wreck 1RR
    Sorcery - U
    Destroy target Vehicle, then create two colourless Gold artefact tokens with "Sacrifice this artefact: Add one mana of any colour to your mana pool".
    Open the lid and snatch a homebrewed treat from Cookie's Jar

Ponytar by Dirtytabs

Quote Originally Posted by DudeWhyAreAllTheNamesTaken(Imgur)
    Chaotic neutral. Might rob you blind. Might save your life. Might do both.

6. - Top - End - #846
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

I will defend phasing as a superior mechanic to those things you listed for a few reasons: 1)Ignores non-targeting effects 2)Does not trigger enters the battlefield or leaves the battlefield effects and most importantly 3)Does not remove Tokens, Enchantments, or Equipment

It is probably the best way to represent pirates hiding out in an unmapped untouchable fortress until the heat dies down while holding on to their ill-gotten gains.

7. - Top - End - #847
    Banned

Chainshot's damage is divisible...

"Raidstorm (When you cast this spell, copy it for each creature which attacked this turn. You may choose new targets for the copies.)"

8. - Top - End - #848
    Ogre in the Playground

I feel like Raidstorm should only count its controller's attacking creatures.

---
    Parting Shot Scountrel response:
    Spoiler
    Show

Parting Shot Scoundrel's pistol ability is thematically related to Crossbow Infantry's, although it has a different trigger (hah!).

Regarding power level, I suppose I could have given it first strike (Reckless Racer) treating the trigger as value, rather than treating it as a pseudo 4/3 (Salivating Gremlins). It could instead have been a common rather than an uncommon.
    The gnomes once had many mines, but now they have gnome ore.

9. - Top - End - #849
    Titan in the Playground

The reason why I gave it lifelink was because that was the best way I could think of to represent theft. I guess I could have done something like Syphon Mind, but it felt kinda weird on flavor.

10. - Top - End - #850

@commentary:

Effects that trigger every turn, and effects that you sacrifice for, are common enough in all colors that I don't think it's unexpected. For examples of enchantments with abilities of both types, see the Shrines ( from Kamigawa and the Font cycle from Theros.

11. - Top - End - #851

Thanks!

Another round of very insightful reviews. That's gonna be a tough act to follow!

We haven't done an art challenge in a while. So! This week's contest will be:

Design a card for this artwork.

Spoiler: Image
    Show

Blue Ghost, Lawful Good generalist wizard, at your service.
    Love wins. S'agapo.

I make MtG cards. My portfolio

12. - Top - End - #852
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

Kaede, Folder of Cranes 2WW
    Planeswalker - Kaede R
    +1 : Create a 1/1 white crane creature token with flying.
    -2 : Creatures you control gain lifelink until the beginning of your next turn.
    -7 : You gain an emblem with "At the beginning of your upkeep, you may choose a card you own from outside the game and put it into your hand"

Spoiler: old version
    Show
    Sadako, Folder of Cranes 2WW
    Legendary creature - Human R
    T: Create a 1/1 white crane creature token with flying.
    Sacrifice 4 cranes: Search your library for a card and put that card into your hand. Then shuffle your library.
    1/1

May change what sort of wish ability it is later but the concept is there for now

Edit: what I was trying to do seems to work cleaner as a planeswalker.
    Last edited by Tom the Mime; 2017-03-19 at 08:30 AM.
    Being a mime means never having to say you're sorry.

13. - Top - End - #853
    Titan in the Playground

Muzai, Kami of Innocence-2WW

Legendary Creature-Spirit-U

Creatures that you control that aren't attacking or blocking have indestructible.

"From the benevolent kindness of Michiko Konda, Muzai was born, protector of those who would not defend themselves."-The History of Kamigawa, pt. 2

1/1
    Last edited by Ionbound; 2017-03-18 at 11:09 PM.

14. - Top - End - #854
    Orc in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Illia, the Crane Maker 3W
    Legendary Creature - Human - R
    Flying
    When Illia, the Crane Maker enters the battlefield, Create 3 1/1 white crane creature tokens withs flying.
    Whenever you cast an instant or sorcery you may pay W, if you do create a 1/1 white crane creature token with flying.
    "if you make a thousand cranes, your wish will come true" - Illia
    0/1

I'm debating giving her sacrifice 1000 cranes: you win the game, but it would just be fluff so I'll leave it out
    Last edited by braveheart; 2017-03-19 at 12:29 AM.

15. - Top - End - #855
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Re: Quartermaster's P/T: It actually ends up as a 3/2 menace attacker, which is pretty common in 2R, then bumped up the rarity and CMC due to its ability. Glad you like it, and glad you noticed that Crew perk!

Boon of the Orizuru 1UU
    Instant U
    Choose target player. All creatures he or she controls and all creatures attacking him or her become 0/3 colorless Bird artifact creatures with flying in addition to their other types until end of turn.
    "Be careful who might be hearing your prayers. The past lord of Towabara also wished for peace."
    Spoiler: this old version can be unfun to play against, so...
    Show
    Boon of Orizuru 3UUU
    Enchantment - Aura Curse M
    ~ costs 2 less to play if it targets you.
    Enchant player
    All creatures enchanted player controls and all creatures attacking him or her are 1/3 colorless Bird artifact creatures with flying in addition to their other types.
    "Be careful who might be hearing your prayers. The past lord of Towabara also wished for eternal peace for his people."

To clarify, a creature that is removed from combat by one of many ways ceases to be attacking and thus ceases to be a paper crane. And, yes, the red origami cranes are the ones attacking the player.

While most birds have 1-2 P/T, there's precedent for big-butts like Roc Egg, so 0/3 as a flock of paper cranes should work.
    Last edited by ben-zayb; 2017-03-24 at 12:34 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by MERC_1 View Post
    I find it very amusing that a very theoretical discussion of how to Optimize Bardic Music, turns into a discussion on how much worms you can eat in 7 minutes.
    Extended Signature

16. - Top - End - #856
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Maiden Waifu 3W
    Creature - anime cleric R
    Flying, Lifelink
    When ~ Enters the battlefield, all players play a subgame of Force of Will. The winner of that subgame gains control of ~.
    6/6
    Last edited by Beelzebub1111; 2017-03-19 at 12:11 PM.

17. - Top - End - #857

Animated Artist - WWUU
    Enchantment Creature - Human Shaman - R
    Lifelink, Flying
    Enchanted creature has +2/+2, lifelink, and flying.
    Bestow 4WU (You may pay 4WU instead of this spell's mana cost. If you do, it becomes an Aura with Enchant Creature.)
    2/2
    LGBTitP
    Proudly Founded Team 2

Nehra, inventor

18. - Top - End - #858
    Troll in the Playground

Cranerider Enchantress 3W
    Creature - Human Druid U
    Flying
    Whenever you cast an enchantment spell, create a 1/1 white Bird enchantment creature token with flying.
    2/2

Spoiler
    Show
    Blessing of Cranes 1U
    Enchantment - Arcane Aura C
    Enchant Creature
    Enchanted creature has flying.
    Whenever you cast another Spirit or Arcane spell, create a 1/1 colorless Spirit creature token with flying.

Origami Cranerider 3W
    Creature - Human Druid C
    Flying
    Whenever you cast an enchantment spell, create a 1/1 white Bird enchantment creature token with flying.
    While renowned for their artistry, the city of Origami was still no match for the allosaur riders from the neighboring Mache peninsula.
    2/2
    Last edited by Dr.Gunsforhands; 2017-03-19 at 08:24 PM.
    Nexusites, Margo, Dorothy, Lucca.

19. - Top - End - #859
    Ogre in the Playground

Origami Transport 3
    Artefact - Vehicle
    Flying
    Whenever Origami Transport attacks or blocks, create a 1/1 Bird artefact creature token attacking or blocking the same creature, respectively.
    Crew 4
    5/6
    Open the lid and snatch a homebrewed treat from Cookie's Jar

Ponytar by Dirtytabs

Quote Originally Posted by DudeWhyAreAllTheNamesTaken(Imgur)
    Chaotic neutral. Might rob you blind. Might save your life. Might do both.

20. - Top - End - #860

Quote Originally Posted by Passive Pete View Post
    Spoiler: Judging
    Show

5a Violista's Skyship Mechane

I'm quite surprised you were the only person to enter a ship representing by the Vehicle type. There's a lot of mechanical and flavor space to work with there. Kudos for doing what you did in that way.

I saw enough rare bomb Vehicles in my time in Kaladesh that I've grown to be very weary and hateful towards these fast efficient flyers. Although the first two I linked to didn't prove to be completely busted in Standard environments, I still worry about this card alone easily finishing games by turn 7/8. And even though we're not supposed to evaluate rares based on their impact in Limited playing, I still worry about how frustrating this can be for players who didn't draft flying or instant removal (although is coming from someone who, at his last Sealed, played an opponent in the third round with two Aethersphere Harvesters and a Skysovereign fully equipped with Siege Modifications and Built to Smash.) Overall, I hate that this is a 5/4 flyer for 4, but I guess it's fine by the bar set in Kaladesh.

As for the abilities, I really have no problem with the first one, although the wording could be cleaned up. Seems cool in practice and I haven't seen those effects put together before. It also works in colorless, in my opinion. The only real bad thing here is the second ability, which makes no sense to me. I'd replace it with some other rare effect, maybe using cards as a resource to work with the first ability. Cool cool.
    Oh! Thanks for that feedback. I completely agreed with what you said about my card: I thought it seemed somewhat powerful (power/toughness-wise) but the example cards I looked were about that powerful too. Also, the second ability that makes no sense. I thought it was terrible, too, but I wanted to have an ability that was a reference to something in the comic. The only thing I could think of was that time they attacked Azure City (but I now realize there were other things they did in the comic that would've made a better, more useful, and more thematic ability).

For this new challenge, I present:
    Honden of Wonder {2}{U}
    Legendary Enchantment - Shrine

Whenever a sorcery card is resolved, exile it. Any other sorceries exiled this way are put into their owner's graveyard.

{T}{1}{X}, where {X} is the exiled card's converted mana cost: cast a copy of the exiled sorcery.
    Spoiler: render of card
    Show

My thoughts on this card:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I wanted to go in a completely different direction from everyone else, and something that I haven't really seen before. (Then again, I don't know all that many card so that's not saying anything.)
    I've been having trouble working through the wordings of it.
    Also, I imagine I'm still bad at balance.

I imagine, in a set, it would be a cycle with these other shrines: (note: I did not work out the wording for them either)
    (red) Honden of Thunder: Every turn creatures summoned this turn are 3/1 elemental creatures with haste until end of turn
    (white) Honden of Sanctuary: {2}{X}, Target creature, where X is CMC of targeted creature. Target creature returns to its owner's hand; until end of turn all creatures have protection from any color targeted creature has.
    (green) Honden of Surging: {T}{X}, Target creature with a +1/+1 counter instead has +X/+X until end of turn. Then remove that +1/+1 counter.
    (black) Honden of Abdication: Whenever you discard a card, target creature gets -X/-X until end of turn, where X is discarded card's converted mana cost.

At least, that's the idea I've got in mind.
    Last edited by 5a Violista; 2017-03-19 at 05:06 PM.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    (and basically everything else that starts with 'f')
    ALSO! Come roleplay FFRPG in the Nexus!
    Nexus Characters.

21. - Top - End - #861

Origami Healer 2WW
    Creature - Human Cleric R
    Flying
    XWW, T: Prevent the next X damage that would be dealt to target creature or player this turn. Create a 1/1 colorless Bird Construct artifact creature token with flying.
    1/3

(No clue if cost is correct, would like help.)

Spoiler: Old versions
    Show

Origami Healer 3WW
    Creature - Human Cleric R
    Flying
    XWW, T: Prevent the next X damage that would be to target creature or player this turn. Create a 1/1 colorless Bird Construct artifact creature token with flying.
    1/3

Change made: Reduced mana cost to 2WW, fixed missing word "dealt".
    Last edited by TurboGhast; 2017-03-24 at 01:13 PM.
    Link to true signature
    Feel free to sig anything I post, just do so in quote format.

22. - Top - End - #862

Quote Originally Posted by 5a Violista View Post
    Oh! Thanks for that feedback. I completely agreed with what you said about my card: I thought it seemed somewhat powerful (power/toughness-wise) but the example cards I looked were about that powerful too. Also, the second ability that makes no sense. I thought it was terrible, too, but I wanted to have an ability that was a reference to something in the comic. The only thing I could think of was that time they attacked Azure City (but I now realize there were other things they did in the comic that would've made a better, more useful, and more thematic ability).

For this new challenge, I present:
    Honden of Wonder {2}{U}
    Legendary Enchantment - Shrine

Whenever a sorcery card is resolved, exile it. Any other sorceries exiled this way are put into their owner's graveyard.

{T}{1}{X}, where {X} is the exiled card's converted mana cost: cast a copy of the exiled sorcery.
    Spoiler: render of card
    Show

My thoughts on this card:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I wanted to go in a completely different direction from everyone else, and something that I haven't really seen before. (Then again, I don't know all that many card so that's not saying anything.)
    I've been having trouble working through the wordings of it.
    Also, I imagine I'm still bad at balance.

I imagine, in a set, it would be a cycle with these other shrines: (note: I did not work out the wording for them either)
    (red) Honden of Thunder: Every turn creatures summoned this turn are 3/1 elemental creatures with haste until end of turn
    (white) Honden of Sanctuary: {2}{X}, Target creature, where X is CMC of targeted creature. Target creature returns to its owner's hand; until end of turn all creatures have protection from any color targeted creature has.
    (green) Honden of Surging: {T}{X}, Target creature with a +1/+1 counter instead has +X/+X until end of turn. Then remove that +1/+1 counter.
    (black) Honden of Abdication: Whenever you discard a card, target creature gets -X/-X until end of turn, where X is discarded card's converted mana cost.

At least, that's the idea I've got in mind.
    Your wording could use a little work. Not a command, but a suggestion:

For the Honden of...

Wonder:
    Whenever a sorcery spell resolves, return all cards exiled by ~ to their owner's graveyards, then exile that sorcery.
    1: Copy each card exiled by ~. You may cast that card, and spend mana as if it were mana of any color to do so.

Thunder:
    Creatures summoned this turn are 3/1 Elemental creatures and have haste.

Sanctuary:
    2: Target a creature, and pay {X}, where X is the targeted creatures mana cost. Return targeted creature to its owner's hand, and until end of turn creatures have protection from cards that share a color with the targeted creature.

Surging:
    1,X: Target creature with a +1/+1 counter gets +X/+X until end of turn. Put a -1/-1 counter on it.

Abdication:
    Whenever you discard a card, target creature gets -X/-X until end of turn, where X is the converted mana cost of the discarded card.
    LGBTitP
    Proudly Founded Team 2

Nehra, inventor

23. - Top - End - #863

Crane Folder 1UW
    Creature - Human Artificer - Rare
    Flying
    Whenever you cast a spell, create a 0/0 white Crane creature token.
    Cranes you control get +1/+1 and have flying.

2/3

24. - Top - End - #864
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

I'm just thinking about how 5 new shrines will affect the other five, doubling their maximum payoff.

25. - Top - End - #865
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Beelzebub1111 View Post
    I'm just thinking about how 5 new shrines will affect the other five, doubling their maximum payoff.
    I don't think they will be any more useful in non-draft/non-sealed formats unless you have more <=3CMC Shrines. . .

26. - Top - End - #866
    Barbarian in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Folder of Wings 2U
    Creature- Human Artificer (U)
    Flying
    When Folder of Wings enters the battlefield, create a colorless artifact token named Paper.
    1U: Target Paper token you control becomes a 2/2 Bird artifact creature with flying until end of turn.
    1/2

I imagine Paper could be one of the mechanics of whatever block this is from, with a whole bunch of folders that can turn Paper into different stuff.
    Last edited by mythmonster2; 2017-03-23 at 06:53 PM.

27. - Top - End - #867
    Banned

Wings of Escape 3UU
    Instant R
    Return target creature you control to your hand. Create 5 tapped colorless 1/1 bird artifact creature tokens.
    The moment the princess was safe, the birds turned back to the gate to confront her attackers.

The main reason they enter tapped is so you can save a creature, but can't also use it as a combat trick. They're artifacts because they're paper cranes, not real creatures.

28. - Top - End - #868
    Halfling in the Playground

Arielle, Artisan of Beyond 3WW
    Planeswalker - Arielle M
    Face down creatures are 1/1 white Birds with flying.
    +1: Return up to two target noncreature cards from graveyards to the battlefield face down under your control.
    -2: Turn up to one creature you control and up to one creature you don't control face down.
    -8: You get an emblem with "Face down creatures you control get +3/+3 and have indestructible." Then manifest the top two cards of your library.
    [5]

She crafts souls into paper cranes, giving them a material vessel.

I thought I'd explore some more face-down design space I opened up last challenge, and also some design space with Planeswalkers with static abilities. I debated making this UW because the -2 is more bounce-like than anything, but the rest was white enough that I was ok with a tiny pie-break. The +1 is hidden graveyard hate. I kept it noncreature so reanimation on enemy creatures couldn't occur.
    Last edited by Passive Pete; 2017-03-20 at 07:30 PM.
    My Autobiography: 50 Feet Away, Chained to a Rock, and Surrounded by Werebears.

See that amazing avatar up there? You can get your own! Just ask Ceika!

Previously known as TheHatMan

29. - Top - End - #869
    Ogre in the Playground

Mazami, the Dreamer - 1WU
    Legendary Creature - Human Wizard - R
    Flying
    When Mazami, the Dreamer enters the battlefield or attacks, create a 0/0 white Bird token with flying.
    Creatures you control with base power and toughness 0 get +1/+1.
    2/2
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Cizak View Post
    I'm gonna be against the flow here and say outlined.

What? Everyone else are against the flow too, okay?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    In the grim statistics of the far future, there is only math.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    Most Hilarious Murderer in the Playground. Both his episodes of hysterically ending my life left me chuckling even hours later when I thought about them.
    And more in the extended signature!

Extended signature

30. - Top - End - #870

Fabled Crane of Untaidake - 5
    Legendary Artifact - Bird Vehicle (Rare)
    Flying
    Crew 3
    When Fabled Crane of Unaidake attacks or blocks, create two 1/1 Crane artifact creature tokens with Flying. If Fabled Crane of Unaidake is attacking, these tokens are also attacking.
    Those who have reached the top of Untaidake and proven themselves worthy need not walk down again.
    4/4

I wanted to do something really different with this, as most of my ideas involved face-down cards and the concept of turning the actual paper of the deck into birds -- an idea many of the cards presented already touch upon. I think this is a rather unique take on the source material though, and ties in to Kamigawa's lore (Untaidake being the semi-mystical tallest mountain on the plane).
    Last edited by Djinn_in_Tonic; 2017-03-23 at 06:52 PM.

Ingredients

2oz Djinn
    5oz Water
    1 Lime Wedge

Instructions

Pour Djinn and tonic water into a glass filled with ice cubes. Stir well. Garnish with lime wedge. Serve.