Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 30 of 50 FirstFirst ... 5202122232425262728293031323334353637383940 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #871
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: MtG - You Make the Card V: Untapped Potential

Reviews will be up within the next 24 hours!

Blue Ghost, Lawful Good generalist wizard, at your service.
    Love wins. S'agapo.

I make MtG cards. My portfolio

2. - Top - End - #872
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Real Entry:
    Mistress of Paper 2UWR
    Legendary creature - human cleric R
    Flying
    RWUT: put a number of 0/1 bird construct artifact tokens with flying onto the battlefield equal to the number of creaturs attacking you. Each one must block exactly one of the attackers if able.
    3/4

Sort of a reverse Nacatl War Pride
    Last edited by Beelzebub1111; 2017-03-26 at 10:47 AM.

3. - Top - End - #873

Quote Originally Posted by Beelzebub1111 View Post
    Real Entry:
    Mistress of Paper 2UWR
    Flying
    Whenever an opponent attacks you, put a number of 0/1 bird construct artifact tokens with flying onto the battlefield equal to the number of attacking creatures. Each one must block one of the attackers if able.
    3/4

Sort of a reverse Nacatl War Pride
    This seems super powerful, since your opponent NEEDS non-flying evasion, trample, or direct removal. Otherwise this card just wins the game eventually.

Ingredients

2oz Djinn
    5oz Water
    1 Lime Wedge

Instructions

Pour Djinn and tonic water into a glass filled with ice cubes. Stir well. Garnish with lime wedge. Serve.

4. - Top - End - #874
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Djinn_in_Tonic View Post
    ...your opponent NEEDS non-flying evasion, trample, or direct removal.
    There are a lot of cards that win you the game unless your opponent has removal. They're called, "rares."
    Nexusites, Margo, Dorothy, Lucca.

5. - Top - End - #875
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Gunsforhands View Post
    There are a lot of cards that win you the game unless your opponent has removal. They're called, "rares."
    I hear that turn 1 Champion of the Parish is an insta-win unless your enemy can kill it with removal.

More to the point, though, "Target player can't play the game" effects are no fun.
    Last edited by Jormengand; 2017-03-26 at 10:04 AM.

6. - Top - End - #876

But at least normally a 5 mana drop will let you soft remove it by attacking and forcing the enemy to block with it or die.

Ingredients

2oz Djinn
    5oz Water
    1 Lime Wedge

Instructions

Pour Djinn and tonic water into a glass filled with ice cubes. Stir well. Garnish with lime wedge. Serve.

7. - Top - End - #877
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Fair enough. I think I balanced it out without comprimising the original idea

8. - Top - End - #878

A lot of beautiful designs! Itís been a real pleasure reviewing all of them.

Spoiler: Tom the Mime
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom the Mime View Post
    Kaede, Folder of Cranes 2WW
    Planeswalker - Kaede R
    +1 : Create a 1/1 white crane creature token with flying.
    -2 : Creatures you control gain lifelink until the beginning of your next turn.
    -7 : You gain an emblem with "At the beginning of your upkeep, you may choose a card you own from outside the game and put it into your hand"
    The ultimate is really cool, and itís a great representation of the thematic concept. After spending ages folding paper cranes, sheíll finally have the ability to grant wishes. Even limited to the sideboard, getting a free tutor a turn is really powerful, and if you open it to your whole collection in casual games, the possibilities are endless.
    Unfortunately, planeswalker ultimates very rarely happen, so 99% of the time a planeswalker will only be its first two abilities. And thereís not much to catch oneís attention here. Making tokens and gaining life are serviceable, but not by any means exciting. Iíd expect something more out of a planeswalker.
    A few minor things:
    Why are they crane tokens? Bird tokens are a perfectly serviceable token type.
    Planeswalkers are always mythic rare. If youíre going to break the trend and make a planeswalker at a lower rarity, I would want to see a clear justification.
    I would have liked to see the second ability grant flying in place of or in addition to lifelink, for flavor purposes.

Spoiler: Ionbound
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Ionbound View Post
    Muzai, Kami of Innocence-2WW

Legendary Creature-Spirit-U

Creatures that you control that aren't attacking or blocking have indestructible.

"From the benevolent kindness of Michiko Konda, Muzai was born, protector of those who would not defend themselves."-The History of Kamigawa, pt. 2

1/1
    This is certainly creative. A very powerful effect with a thematic restriction that encourages different playstyles. The effect blocks boardwipes and other sorcery-speed removal, which is pretty valuable. But I donít see it being quite useful enough to be worth running. In a normal deck, the range of things she protects against is quite small, since the opponent can usually wait until combat to pick your creatures off. If youíre running a deck that has a lot of creatures but for some reason doesnít plan to get into combat, the protection would be more robust. But such a deck would likely be some kind of combo deck, and there I would probably rather run more redundancies for my combo pieces rather than a 4-mana defensive card. Perhaps at a lower cost she would be more playable.

Spoiler: braveheart
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by braveheart View Post
    Illia, the Crane Maker 3W
    Legendary Creature - Human - R
    Flying
    When Illia, the Crane Maker enters the battlefield, Create 3 1/1 white crane creature tokens withs flying.
    Whenever you cast an instant or sorcery you may pay W, if you do create a 1/1 white crane creature token with flying.
    "if you make a thousand cranes, your wish will come true" - Illia
    0/1
    The cost is about right for three flying 1/1s, plus some extra allowance for being a rare and a legendary. The additional cost for making the tokens probably isnít necessary, since the number of instant and sorcery spells you have is inherently limited, but it doesnít hurt. But effects triggering off instants and sorceries is traditionally blue, and the flavor of making wishes also seems more blue than white. Also, why crane tokens rather than the more standard Bird tokens? Is there really a need for a new creature type?

Spoiler: ben-zayb
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ben-zayb View Post
    Boon of the Orizuru 1UU
    Instant U
    Choose target player. All creatures he or she controls and all creatures attacking him or her become 0/3 colorless Bird artifact creatures with flying in addition to their other types until end of turn.
    "Be careful who might be hearing your prayers. The past lord of Towabara also wished for peace."
    Mechanically this effect is blue, but the end result is something like a Fog effect, which is more green/white. The comparison that comes to mind is Polymorphistís Jest, which is the same cost. That can be used as a combat trick to kill the creatures as they attack or block, or nullify their abilities for one turn. Boon of the Orizuru does not remove abilities, affecting attackers means it canít be used to kill blockers, and the granted stats mean that you need 3+ power fliers to block the incoming birds. All I can see this being used for is a lackluster Fog effect. Thereís a lot of cool stuff you can do with this kind of effect, but the way the card is set up negates a lot of its own potential.

Spoiler: LastCenturion
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by LastCenturion View Post
    Animated Artist - WWUU
    Enchantment Creature - Human Shaman - R
    Lifelink, Flying
    Enchanted creature has +2/+2, lifelink, and flying.
    Bestow 4WU (You may pay 4WU instead of this spell's mana cost. If you do, it becomes an Aura with Enchant Creature.)
    2/2
    Four colored mana across two colors is a really high price to pay for a 2/2 flying lifelinker. Compare Vampire Nighthawk and Aerial Responder, both 2/3 for 1 less mana and one more keyword. Granted, those are on the higher end of the power scale, but they are also uncommons while Animated Artist is rare. Bestow does grant it flexibility, which is worth a lot, but not worth overpaying so much on the base value. Bump it down to 1WU and uncommon, and it could work.

Spoiler: Dr. Gunsforhands
    Show
    Cranerider Enchantress 3W
    Creature - Human Druid U
    Flying
    Whenever you cast an enchantment spell, create a 1/1 white Bird enchantment creature token with flying.
    2/2
    Enchantments are quite a creative way to represent the flavor of paper cranes. while theyíre clearly artificial, theyíre more magical than the mechanical constructs that artifacts typically represent, so enchantments are a good choice for them. The card is the right power level for an uncommon build-around, points toward a solid mechanical theme, and the reward is exciting and tangible without being overpowering. White has a history of both token-making and enchantment-matters effect, and this feels right at home in white. Could use some flavor text to spice it up a bit, but the flavor comes across quite strongly and simply in the mechanics already. Quite a well-crafted card.

Spoiler: Sgt. Cookie
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Sgt. Cookie View Post
    Origami Transport 3
    Artefact - Vehicle
    Flying
    Whenever Origami Transport attacks or blocks, create a 1/1 Bird artefact creature token attacking or blocking the same creature, respectively.
    Crew 4
    5/6
    Crew 4 is a really hefty cost for a vehicle. The existing vehicles with crew 4 are Aradara Express and Peacewalker Colossus, both of which represent heavy, difficult-to-operate mechanical vehicles. Itís a sharp disconnect with the depiction in the art. Gameplay-wise, this is probably playable, though not very powerful. Youíre missing rarity; this seems like an uncommon, though it could perhaps also work at rare. We donít have a flying finisher vehicle below rare yet, so this could work as one.

Spoiler: 5a Violista
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by 5a Violista View Post
    Honden of Wonder {2}{U}
    Legendary Enchantment - Shrine

Whenever a sorcery card is resolved, exile it. Any other sorceries exiled this way are put into their owner's graveyard.

{T}{1}{X}, where {X} is the exiled card's converted mana cost: cast a copy of the exiled sorcery.
    Spoiler: render of card
    Show
    It looks like this effect is indeed new. While there are cards that imprint cards from oneís hand or graveyard to copy, there havenít yet been any that imprint a spell as itís cast. Being able to repeatedly cast a spell is a nice value engine. The mandatory overwriting whenever a sorcery is cast makes this less good at enabling specific combos, but it forces variety in gameplay, which I think is a net win.
    Shrines have an established mechanical identity from Kamigawa, as enchantments with effects that scale based on the number of Shrines you control. Honden of Wonder doesnít fit into that mold, and neither do any of your other Shrines. While mechanical identities arenít set in stone, there are player expectations that should be fulfilled. With your Honden, there will be two cycles of Shrines, one with a common theme and one without, and thatís rather awkward. And unless youíre reprinting the original Shrines, they wonít exist in the same environment, so the Shrine keyword wonít have any mechanical relevance in the environment this comes in.
    Also, itís a hard design rule that enchantments donít tap. Thatís one of the key factors that distinguish them from artifacts.

Spoiler: TurboGhast
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by TurboGhast View Post
    Origami Healer 2WW
    Creature - Human Cleric R
    Flying
    XWW, T: Prevent the next X damage that would be dealt to target creature or player this turn. Create a 1/1 colorless Bird Construct artifact creature token with flying.
    1/3
    Most of the time the ability will be WW, T for a token, while you can pay extra for some incidental damage prevention. What do those two things have to do with one another? Two unrelated effects on the same ability is a weird design decision, and not very aesthetically pleasing.

Spoiler: Gauntlet
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Gauntlet View Post
    Crane Folder 1UW
    Creature - Human Artificer - Rare
    Flying
    Whenever you cast a spell, create a 0/0 white Crane creature token.
    Cranes you control get +1/+1 and have flying.

2/3
    Here the use of the Crane token type is justified, as a mechanically relevant marker for the ability. Weíve seen similar cards that incrementally create tokens; there are some in this contest. Tokens that die when their creator dies are less common. The only card I can think of that does something like this is Master of Waves. The key difference between Crane Folder and Master of Waves is that Master of Waves gives you the tokens all at once. On a card that makes you work for the tokens, I think having the tokens stick around is preferable, since having the tokens die when this dies can feel like wasted effort. Still, if you think of the tokens as buffs to Crane Folder rather than independent creatures, it works, and is quite powerful.

Spoiler: mythmonster2
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by mythmonster2 View Post
    Folder of Wings 2U
    Creature- Human Artificer (U)
    Flying
    When Folder of Wings enters the battlefield, create a colorless artifact token named Paper.
    1U: Target Paper token you control becomes a 2/2 Bird artifact creature with flying until end of turn.
    1/2

I imagine Paper could be one of the mechanics of whatever block this is from, with a whole bunch of folders that can turn Paper into different stuff.
    Iím a big fan of all kinds of resource management mechanics, and I think the paper mechanic has potential. If youíre limiting paper to folders, thereís not a ton of design space here; I can see perhaps one cycle of folders at uncommon. And I think a single cycle could be enough; as a self-contained card, this works fine, and incidental synergy between different folders would be icing on the cake. Maybe the design space for paper could be expanded to different kinds of effects.
    What I would like to see is a way to get more paper. With the creation of the paper as an ETB effect, the paper creature is a one and done deal; if it dies, then no more folding. But if Folder of Wings could make more paper, then you could have an interesting minigame of balancing getting paper to fuel her ability and having enough mana to activate it.

Spoiler: Jormengand
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Jormengand View Post
    Wings of Escape 3UU
    Instant R
    Return target creature you control to your hand. Create 5 tapped colorless 1/1 bird artifact creature tokens.
    The moment the princess was safe, the birds turned back to the gate to confront her attackers.
    Five 1/1 flyers for 5 mana is quite strong. Requiring you to bounce a creature is a moderate drawback, but at instant speed, itís one that can be leveraged to your advantage. The spell being instant speed lets you hold up mana for other cards, as blue control decks are wont to do. I donít know if creating the tokens tapped is necessary, but it is a very elegant way to tone down the power level. All the little pieces of this card interplay in a way that appeals to my inner Mel, and make this close to the Platonic ideal of a high-end blue control card.
    The first line should be ďReturn target creature you control to its ownerís hand.Ē

Spoiler: Passive Pete
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Passive Pete View Post
    Arielle, Artisan of Beyond 3WW
    Planeswalker - Arielle M
    Face down creatures are 1/1 white Birds with flying.
    +1: Return up to two target noncreature cards from graveyards to the battlefield face down under your control.
    -2: Turn up to one creature you control and up to one creature you don't control face down.
    -8: You get an emblem with "Face down creatures you control get +3/+3 and have indestructible." Then manifest the top two cards of your library.
    [5]
    Using face-down cards is a cool design choice that fits with the art quite nicely. Actually using face-down cards to represent paper creatures lends a nice degree of physical resonance to the gameplay. I like the idea of a planeswalker with a static effect. Would there be other cards that deal with face-down cards in the environment? Since you mention manifest in the ultimate, I assume there would be. So most of the time the face-downs would be 2/2s as normal, except when Arielle is in play, which is a bit odd, but it works.
    Her abilities are quite well thought out. Limiting the first ability to noncreature cards is a nice touch, and keeps it in monowhite. The second ability does feel more blue, but I agree that itís not too out of place in white. The last ability is quite an appropriate ultimate, but the concern is that once she ultimates, sheíll probably no longer be around to grant her paper creations flying. Maybe add flying to the emblem?
    The three abilities let her fold paper cranes from three different zones, which captures the feeling of a master of origami very well. Very nice design.

Spoiler: Ninjaman
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninjaman View Post
    Mazami, the Dreamer - 1WU
    Legendary Creature - Human Wizard - R
    Flying
    When Mazami, the Dreamer enters the battlefield or attacks, create a 0/0 white Bird token with flying.
    Creatures you control with base power and toughness 0 get +1/+1.
    2/2
    This is a similar concept to Gauntletís Crane Folder. I think having it create a token on ETB makes it feel better, since itís guaranteed to get some amount of value from its ability if it untaps. Buffing all 0/0 creatures is rather unique. I donít think thereís anything that thematically ties most 0/0 creatures together, so it would feel like sheís buffing a random subset of creatures. Iím not too fond of the idea of 0/0 matters because of the lack of flavor resonance, but it does sound like something that some players would enjoy.

Spoiler: Djinn_in_Tonic
    Show
    Fabled Crane of Untaidake - 5
    Legendary Artifact - Bird Vehicle (Rare)
    Flying
    Crew 3
    When Fabled Crane of Unaidake attacks or blocks, create two 1/1 Crane artifact creature tokens with Flying. If Fabled Crane of Unaidake is attacking, these tokens are also attacking.
    Those who have reached the top of Untaidake and proven themselves worthy need not walk down again.
    4/4
    This is very similar to Passive Peteís card above, and much of what I said about that applies here as well. Crew 3 is more forgiving than crew 4, but still quite difficult to pull off. But itís a decently workable vehicle design.
    As a side note, would there be a place for vehicles in Kamigawa? Thereís been some talk about making vehicles a deciduous mechanic, with the argument that some form of vehicle would exist on every plane. I think vehicles existing as cards pushes toward a certain high-tech aesthetic that wouldnít be appropriate on most planes.

Spoiler: Beelzebub1111
    Show
    Mistress of Paper 2UWR
    Legendary creature - human cleric R
    Flying
    RWUT: put a number of 0/1 bird construct artifact tokens with flying onto the battlefield equal to the number of creaturs attacking you. Each one must block exactly one of the attackers if able.
    3/4
    Requiring a mana payment doesnít really solve the problem that people have pointed out, that this can block an opponentís creatures indefinitely, since you can always pay the mana every turn. Being a creature and susceptible to removal does help a bit, but itís still a hard lock that can easily shut a player out of the game.
    The red mana cost seems quite out of place here.

Spoiler: Winner
    Show

3rd place: Dr. Gunsforhands, with Cranerider Enchantress
    2nd place: Jormengand, with Wings of Escape
    1st place: Passive Pete, with Arielle, Artisan of Beyond

Love wins. S'agapo.

9. - Top - End - #879
    Bugbear in the Playground

Eh, I'd rather have another janky 30 cent rare with my name on it than a $150 card banned in all formats. It's true that I could have dropped the mana cost a little bit, but I'm wary of dropping it too much. How would W{W/U}U sound, dropping the Bestow cost to 3WU?
    LGBTitP
    Proudly Founded Team 2

"Everyone starts off making garbage.
    If you finally make something halfway
    decent, it'll be the best day of your life."
    ó Nehra, inventor

10. - Top - End - #880
    Titan in the Playground

^^^ See above. She's not meant to protect combos, she's meant to work with token decks to protect them from Wraths. I am pretty sure that at 1WW, even, she'd see play in all formats. D&T, BW Tokens...Anything that was weak to WoG suddenly has a huge amount of pretty resilient protection that can't be dealt with outside of exile effects or forced combat.

11. - Top - End - #881

I forgot the lesson I learned from failing to specify that there are three Skeleton Lords. The flavor behind Origami Healer is making the crane is the source of the healing, since according to my Google search of "paper crane meaning" paper cranes are a symbol healing. That also means I should have made the effect create the token first.

I should type all the thoughts I have about the design of my card in each card's post so this doesn't happen again.
    Last edited by TurboGhast; 2017-03-27 at 05:23 PM.
    Link to true signature
    Feel free to sig anything I post, just do so in quote format.

12. - Top - End - #882
    Halfling in the Playground

Congratulations to all, especially to my second and third place comrades, and many thanks to our judge. This round I should be much closer to judgment deadlines.

Inspired by this challenge, I'd like to do another art-based challenge. An artist that I see come up often around the custom Magic is Peter Morhbacher, who has been an artist for many Magic cards, including Animar, Tibalt, Erebos, and Grimgrin. AKA my favorite card art. This fellow is pretty incredible, to say the least.

Challenge: Design a card based around any one of the works from Peter Morhbacher's Angelarium, which I encourage everyone to check out. You can link the art you chose in your post, or just mention one of the example pieces I'm mentioning below.

Example 1
    Example 2
    Example 3

Happy 'brewing
    My Autobiography: 50 Feet Away, Chained to a Rock, and Surrounded by Werebears.

See that amazing avatar up there? You can get your own! Just ask Ceika!

Previously known as TheHatMan

13. - Top - End - #883

Hasmed, Angel of Annihilation - {5}{C}{B}

Legendary Creature - Spirit Angel - Mythic Rare

Flying, Cryptic (Whenever a spell is cast, you may exile this permanent until another spell is cast.)

At the beginning of each upkeep, if an opponent lost 3 or more life last turn, you may pay 3 life. If you do, exile target creature.

Once a champion, now a slave, the greatest of Oteria's angels has sunk to depths of despair unreachable by mere mortals.

7/4

Thinking of a plane where the Eldrazi passed nearby or devoured a linked / connected plane, so it's thoroughly touched by the Blind Eternities but not actually under current threat. Hasmed fought the Eldrazi as one of the plane's protectors when they appeared a few hundred years ago, and lost his sanity as a result.

The image looks like it has a few of the eldrazi-like symbols on it, and Hasmed's 'legs' in particular look reminiscent of their tentacles. His halo being over his eyes is also similar to the angels on Zendikar.
    Last edited by Gauntlet; 2017-03-28 at 04:55 AM.

14. - Top - End - #884

The Gate of Sahaqiel
    Spoiler: Image
    Show
    Land - Gate - R
    T: Add C to your mana pool.
    T: Add three mana in any combination of colors to your mana pool. Use this mana only to cast Legendary Angel spells.
    Last edited by LastCenturion; 2017-03-28 at 07:05 AM.
    LGBTitP
    Proudly Founded Team 2

ó Nehra, inventor

15. - Top - End - #885
    Titan in the Playground

Raziel, Archangel of Secrets-3WUB

Legendary Creature-Angel-MR

Morph-2WUB

Flying, Vigilance

Once per turn, you may pay the Morph cost of any facedown creature you control to turn target creature you control face up.

2/2

16. - Top - End - #886
    Troll in the Playground

Sword in the Back RB
    Enchantment - Aura R
    Enchant Teammate
    When Sword in the Back enters the battlefield, it deals 5 damage to enchanted player.
    At the beginning of enchanted player's upkeep Sword in the Back deals 1 damage to them and each of their teammates draws one card.
    "Betrayal is the only truth that sticks." - Arthur Miller
    Last edited by mystic1110; 2017-03-29 at 10:14 AM.

17. - Top - End - #887

Absovlis, Oceanic Protector 2WWUU
    Art: Example 1
    Legendary Creature - Angel R
    Flying, Absorb 2 (If a source would deal damage to Absovlis, prevent 2 of that damage.)
    T: Put target tapped creature into its owners library just beneath the top X cards of that library, where X is its power.
    2/6

Wording references: Unexpectedly Absent, Royal Assassin, Berserk, Lymph Sliver
    Balancing Reference: Visara the Dreadful. Steeper cost meant to make Black still stronger at pure removal, also return to deck has a lot of upsides over straight destroy.
    Last edited by TurboGhast; 2017-04-05 at 11:52 PM.
    Link to true signature

18. - Top - End - #888
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Zaphon, the Seeker 2GBW
    Legendary Creature - Angel Horror MR
    Deathtouch, Reach
    When Zaphon enters the battlefield name a creature type, then reveal cards from the top of your library until you reveal a card wit that type. Put a number of 1/1 green spider tokens with reach onto the battlefield equal to the number of revealed cards, then put one card with that type into your hand and shuffle the rest of the revealed cards into your library.
    1/5

This is probably not the final draft, but I'd like to get one down just in case.
    Last edited by Beelzebub1111; 2017-04-03 at 09:47 AM.

19. - Top - End - #889

Virulent Scourge - 1BB
    --Source Image--
    Enchantment (Rare)
    At the beginning of your upkeep, but a -1/-1 counter on each creature with a -1/-1 counter on it. Then put a -1/-1 counter on target creature without a -1/-1 counter on it.
    At the end of your turn, if there are no creatures in play, sacrifice Virulent Scourge.
    The last, withered survivor of the plague-ravaged city looks mournfully at the ruins as the storm rises around her. Soon the desert with claim them both.
    Last edited by Djinn_in_Tonic; 2017-03-30 at 08:20 AM.

Ingredients

2oz Djinn
    5oz Water
    1 Lime Wedge

Instructions

20. - Top - End - #890
    Colossus in the Playground

Priestess of Emrakul 2W
    Creature - Human Horror (U)
    When ~ enters the battlefield, gain 5 life.
    When you sacrifice ~ while casting a spell with Emerge, gain 5 life.
    3/2

Back to normal Zodi avatars for awhile.
    Sig Banner by Pinkhaired August. No Regrets.

21. - Top - End - #891

I always thought Peter Mohrbacher's art would be perfect for reprints of the Shadowmoor deities.

Spoiler: Images
    Show

Actual entry to come.

Love wins. S'agapo.

22. - Top - End - #892
    Ogre in the Playground

Sanguinara, The Justice of Blood 2RB
    Legendary Creature - Angel Horror
    Whenever a creature you control dies, choose one:
    • Sanguinara deals 2 damage to target creature or player
    • Exile target creature card in a graveyard. Until end of turn you may cast that card, spending Red or Black mana as if it were mana of any colour to do so.
    • Destroy target creature with toughness 3 or less.
    • Target creature loses indestructible until end of turn.

Sacrifice a creature: Sanguinara gains indestructible until end of turn.
    3/3

As for that last ability, I'm following WotC's lead with the "conceptual" replacement of Regenerate.
    Open the lid and snatch a homebrewed treat from Cookie's Jar

Ponytar by Dirtytabs

Quote Originally Posted by DudeWhyAreAllTheNamesTaken(Imgur)
    Chaotic neutral. Might rob you blind. Might save your life. Might do both.

23. - Top - End - #893
    Banned

Ruination of Cities 3RRR
    Sorcery - R
    Destroy two target lands.
    As the towers fell, they were already barely visible through the dust of the smaller buildings which had shattered already.

24. - Top - End - #894
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler: Retrospection - 2U
    Show

Sorcery - C
    Shuffle your graveyard into your library, then draw two cards.
    Through self-reflection, you can find new knowledge in old experiences.
    Last edited by Dr.Gunsforhands; 2017-04-03 at 03:25 PM.
    Nexusites, Margo, Dorothy, Lucca.

25. - Top - End - #895

Moonsilver Vestige 3WW
    Creature - Angel Horror (R)
    Flying, vigilance
    If another creature would die, instead exile it and put a +1/+1 counter on Moonsilver Vestige.
    W, Remove two +1/+1 counters from Moonsilver Vestige: Create a 3/2 colorless Eldrazi Horror creature token.
    The remnants of Avacyn's flight carry on her great work.
    3/2

Spoiler: Render
    Show
    Last edited by Blue Ghost; 2017-04-03 at 05:44 PM.

Love wins. S'agapo.

26. - Top - End - #896
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Re: MtG - You Make the Card V: Untapped Poten

Awesome!

Armaros, Angel of Undoing 2WRR

Creature, Angel Horror (R)

T,R: destroy target artifact or enchantment.

Permanence is the illusion of every Age.
    5/4

27. - Top - End - #897
    Barbarian in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Da'at, the Empty One- 10
    Legendary Enchantment Creature- God (MR)
    Defender, Flying, Indestructible
    No more than one creature can attack per turn.
    It is the gate and the wall of heaven.
    10/10

28. - Top - End - #898
    Halfling in the Playground

The hooves of judgment thunder out of sight, the volume thickening with each passing moment...

Spoiler: Gauntlet
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Gauntlet View Post
    Hasmed, Angel of Annihilation - {5}{C}{B}

Legendary Creature - Spirit Angel - Mythic Rare

Flying, Cryptic (Whenever a spell is cast, you may exile this permanent until another spell is cast.)

At the beginning of each upkeep, if an opponent lost 3 or more life last turn, you may pay 3 life. If you do, exile target creature.

Once a champion, now a slave, the greatest of Oteria's angels has sunk to depths of despair unreachable by mere mortals.

7/4
    A cool one to start us off. I don't think you're the only one getting Eldrazi vibes from this artist, I myself have, and in general I think it's a good direction to go flavor-wise, especially with all the greys in the actual pictures. I might go as far to guess that there was some exchange of inspiration between Peter Morhbacher and Eldrazi as a concept, since he has been a Magic artist. Despite these connections, and the little setting background you provided, it still seems like a stretch to me to make this card (and other cards in its set, hypothetically) Eldrazi-"touched" or inspired, when you be cleaner by making it a full-out Eldrazi Angel. That's a pretty insignificant nitpick though.

Design: I'm not completely closed-off to the concept of hybird colorless/a color, but it looks pretty ugly to me. Colorless in theme and mechanics is supposed to be the absence of all other colors, in addition to some other smaller problems. Even with the awkwardness, I like the second ability (pay life to exile a creature) very much, partly because it feels as black/colorless as can be to me. It also doesn't look unbalanced. Very good job on that. Cryptic, your custom mechanic, is a cool concept, if a little boring. On this card it boils down to "dodges 90% of removal but may face minor inconvenient side-effects on return." If it was put on cards with abilities where you may want to intentionally exile it or leave it in exile, playing with enter/leaves the battlefield abilities, I think that could be fun, if repetitive.

Final analysis says that the body and balance boil down to a cool powerhouse, with well-placed otherworldly vibes, who may be a little janky in their colors and may be slightly simple for a mythic.

Spoiler: LastCenturion
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by LastCenturion View Post
    The Gate of Sahaqiel
    Spoiler: Image
    Show
    Land - Gate - R
    T: Add C to your mana pool.
    T: Add three mana in any combination of colors to your mana pool. Use this mana only to cast Legendary Angel spells.
    Every challenge seems to have that one land. That makes it sound like I dislike land designs, but I don't. I'm just weary because lands are usually hard to balance, and hard to make cool/flashy without becoming very niche or overpowered. I think this land is cool, and I love your use of the art, but I'm afraid it falls into that same design trap. To most, this land sucks majorly and is a huge disappointment, in it being a legendary rare that taps for C in most decks. In the situation where it's actually supposed to shine, I don't think it's ridiculously overpowered since it's so niche, but 3 rainbow mana from a enters-untapped land is not a design I like. Looking at the art makes me think maybe:

T: Add one mana of any color to your mana pool. Use this mana only to cast creature spells with flying.

Or maybe something makes legendary angels uncounterable? There are a few options. Also, this land shouldn't be a gate in my opinion, because although it technically is, Gates have a very specific identity in Magic and I see this as different.

Spoiler: Ionbound
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Ionbound View Post
    Raziel, Archangel of Secrets-3WUB

Legendary Creature-Angel-MR

Morph-2WUB

Flying, Vigilance

Once per turn, you may pay the Morph cost of any facedown creature you control to turn target creature you control face up.

2/2
    So this is weird. I like that you really stuck true to the art, in your use of morph, representing the secrets this guy is the archangel of. That's cool.

Mechanics: If I'm making sense of the last ability correctly, it allows you to once per turn, flip a creature using the lowest morph cost among your face down guys. The wording could use cleaning up, and probably the concept too. Now maybe I am misinterpreting it, but if I did get it right then it doesn't work, because you can't reveal the cost of one face-down creature, to pay for another, then keep the first creature face-down. However, I do like the idea of a secret-based angel that plays with morph. As you might have seen in the past, I love face-down designs.

The body on this is very weak. In three colors at mythic this could be 6/6, and that would still be sort of sad without more keywords/abilities.

Spoiler: mystic1110
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by mystic1110 View Post
    Sword in the Back RB
    Enchantment - Aura R
    Enchant Teammate
    When Sword in the Back enters the battlefield, it deals 5 damage to enchanted player.
    At the beginning of enchanted player's upkeep Sword in the Back deals 1 damage to them and each of their teammates draws one card.
    "Betrayal is the only truth that sticks." - Arthur Miller

One of the smartest uses of art here. 9/10.

You have me very conflicted on this, because of personal bias. I play limited when a new set comes out, and my pals and I have decks that we can play competitively, but for the most part my playgroup is very laid back and casual, and 99% of what we do is huge multiplayer clusterfudges. About half the time it's 5 player free-for-alls (the 5-star game mode, if you're familiar) and the other half is 2v2 Two Headed Giant games. In my opinion, this is the best way Magic can be played. For this reason I want to love any card dspecifically for multiplayer. There is SO much uncharted design space, comparable to the amount of ocean floor unexplored by humans. I give you many points just for making this card, and to be honest, there are certain games where this could play out to be very fun. It's so cool that this interacts with the teammate aspect of a game. Truly awesome.

As close to perfect as this is, I can also judge this as someone who has explored virtually every variant of multiplayer Magic, and what scares me is how reliant on the specific game this is. Many technical game rules will have nearly identical definitions of the word "teammate," but this card will be unplayable in one and neat in the other. This can't be played at all, for example, in two-headed giant, but it would be an absolute bomb in my 5-star games. Magic is very wishy-washy with teammate interaction right now. Some things are governed all by house rules, some by specific tournament rules that can't apply to all games. This would have to be printed in a multiplayer-oriented set (hey, I can dream) where this could all be figured out. Gameplay-wise, I also see this being janky. This could never be run in 99% of decks simply because of gamemodes and rulings, but I know people in my meta that would design an entire deck around 5+ damage and an extra card every turn for 2 mana. There's way too much value there, not to mention the multiplayer ridiculousness Rakdos already has.

All in all, there is so much to say about this card, and a lot of it is praise, but I don't think there is enough spine in the game to back this guy up yet.

Spoiler: TurboGhast
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by TurboGhast View Post
    Absovlis, Oceanic Protector 2WWUU
    Art: Example 1
    Legendary Creature - Angel R
    Flying, Absorb 2 (If a source would deal damage to Absovlis, prevent 2 of that damage.)
    T: Put target tapped creature into its owners library just beneath the top X cards of that library, where X is its power.
    2/6

Wording references: Unexpectedly Absent, Royal Assassin, Berserk, Lymph Sliver
    Balancing Reference: Visara the Dreadful. Steeper cost meant to make Black still stronger at pure removal, also return to deck has a lot of upsides over straight destroy.
    First things first, I can't say I approve of the using of absorb. It's just too outdated. I know there are corner cases, like multiple damage sources or amount-of-damage effects (like lifelink) where absorb can make a huge difference, but I believe that mechanics should be implemented in ways that create major cases, not preventing/creating a plethora of annoyingly specific and unique corner cases. Give this fellow a bigger body to compensate and we good.

Otherwise, I like this, the art is well used, the second ability is neat, with absorb compensation the body would be solid. My main complaint, I guess, would be that this is too simple. It is a two-color legend after all. Maybe include some means of tapping creatures, to enable the second ability.

Spoiler: Beelzebub1111
    Show
    Zaphon, the Seeker 2GBW
    Legendary Creature - Angel Horror MR
    Deathtouch, Reach
    When Zaphon enters the battlefield name a creature type, then reveal cards from the top of your library until you reveal a card wit that type. Put a number of 1/1 green spider tokens with reach onto the battlefield equal to the number of revealed cards, then put one card with that type into your hand and shuffle the rest of the revealed cards into your library.
    1/5

This is probably not the final draft, but I'd like to get one down just in case.
    I'm not 100% feeling the art, especially with the lack of easiness between the Magic colors and the pigments of the picture, but that's not the biggest deal.

The mana cost to body to balance ratio is pretty ok I think, but the second ability needs a lot of work. Currently it generates too spiders if used correctly, and sadly, using it correctly means playing 1-2 of a certain card type then using this to tutor and get a buttload of spiders. Usually these effects want you to encourage playing a lot of the type. Maybe reveal the top 5-6, get a spider for each of the type revealed, then put one into your hand?

Angels without flying are kind of a flop. Even when they're horror-ible.

Spoiler: Djinn_in_Tonic
    Show
    Virulent Scourge - 1BB
    --Source Image--
    Enchantment (Rare)
    At the beginning of your upkeep, but a -1/-1 counter on each creature with a -1/-1 counter on it. Then put a -1/-1 counter on target creature without a -1/-1 counter on it.
    At the end of your turn, if there are no creatures in play, sacrifice Virulent Scourge.
    The last, withered survivor of the plague-ravaged city looks mournfully at the ruins as the storm rises around her. Soon the desert with claim them both.
    Good, clean, spicy design. It's control without being too oppressive, opens up possibilities with counter synergy, and somehow it feels a little throwback to me? The plague vibe is channeled greatly. I do fear that sometimes this could get out of hand for aggro decks in a long game, but aggro isn't supposed to be strong late anyway. I know it might not work as well with the art, but in theory if this effect was on a dude, a demon or something, and the last line was "if there are no OTHER creatures in play" maybe this would be better, and easier to handle. I don't know what else to say. I like the design a lot.

Spoiler: LaZodiac
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Priestess of Emrakul 2W
    Creature - Human Horror (U)
    When ~ enters the battlefield, gain 5 life.
    When you sacrifice ~ while casting a spell with Emerge, gain 5 life.
    3/2
    Another big success with Eldrazi themes. The art here is spot on. The design is almost spot on too, but this is sort of (not starkly) out of color. White doesn't have a single emerge creature yet, and I'd bet money it never will. Though it does have a history of sacrificing creatures for the "greater good," green definitely holds the right to this design, and maybe even black if you changed the lifegain to lifedrain. So I would cost this at 2G, and maybe (I'm not sure) reduce the lifegain to 3 each, only because in limited 10 life from one card is backbreaking when it can be drafted at uncommon level, even if there are hoops to jump through. Overall though, I give two thumbs up to your skills in thematic crafting and uncommon mechanic crafting. Cool.

Spoiler: Sgt. Cookie
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Sgt. Cookie View Post
    Sanguinara, The Justice of Blood 2RB
    Legendary Creature - Angel Horror
    Whenever a creature you control dies, choose one:
    • Sanguinara deals 2 damage to target creature or player
    • Exile target creature card in a graveyard. Until end of turn you may cast that card, spending Red or Black mana as if it were mana of any colour to do so.
    • Destroy target creature with toughness 3 or less.
    • Target creature loses indestructible until end of turn.

Sacrifice a creature: Sanguinara gains indestructible until end of turn.
    3/3

As for that last ability, I'm following WotC's lead with the "conceptual" replacement of Regenerate.
    I said in an earlier review, and still here, in my opinion every angel without flying, horrors included, are a thematic fail. "Wings" is the first thing that comes to my mind when I think of angel characteristics. I don't think there's a single angel in Magic without flying, however if you do find one, feel free to call me out.

Otherwise, I love the plans you have going on here. Minor model effects that can come up often seem fun to play with, especially when they can be played into/around to a degree. Sacrificing a creature to keep the legend alive feels very satisfying thematically, and I agree is a healthy regenerate alternative, although mostly limited to black. These are all good ideas, and I'm eager to clean this guy up.

I'd start with the number of options. Four possible things is a lot for an opponent, and Sanguinara's controller, to keep track of, especially when they can trigger 2-3 times a turn. The last choice is the obvious one to cut, as it's far too niche and just takes up text room 99% of the time. Second, the first and third choice should be slightly reworked around each other. As is, the damage-to-creature option and straight removal option are definitely not identical, but are still far too similar to stay on one card. My proposal is to change the first one to "damage to target player" and the third one to -3/-3, or probably safer, -2/-2 until end of turn. The second ability is a great gem of this card, although I'd cut the limitation on black and red mana. "You may spend mana as though it were mana of any color to do so."

Overall, very very spicy stuff. Can't wait to try this fellow in token EDH.

Spoiler: Jormengand
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Jormengand View Post
    Ruination of Cities 3RRR
    Sorcery - R
    Destroy two target lands.
    As the towers fell, they were already barely visible through the dust of the smaller buildings which had shattered already.
    It's simple and functional enough I guess. The art is very well paired with those red "HULK SMASH" land or artifact destruction cards, so nice on that. I'm not sure what to say about balance, because land destruction is really only playable when it's cheap, so you can lock down an opponent early. That's what makes the overall mechanic to damn unhealthy in my opinion, and also what makes this card fall short in power, especially as a rare. By the time a red deck (usually low curve) has six mana, this isn't exactly going to be earth-shattering, if you will. I don't want to push this, since it's land removal, but I also hate seeing an unplayable rare. Proposal:

Ruination of Cities 3RRR or 2RRR
    Sorcery/Instant/I dunno - R
    Choose one, two, or all:
    -Whenever a permanent card is put into an opponents graveyard from the battlefield this turn, ~ deals 2 damage to that player.
    -Destroy target land.
    -Destroy target artifact.

Versatile, can be a blow-out, not unhealthy (I don't think) and is still a ~weird rare~.

Spoiler: Dr. Guns
    Show
    Spoiler: Retrospection - 2U
    Show

Sorcery - C
    Shuffle your graveyard into your library, then draw two cards.
    Through self-reflection, you can find new knowledge in old experiences.
    1,000 points for you use of art here. Creating a noncreature spell is difficult when provided only images of characters, and it takes a real eye for vibes and knowledge of Magic to tell what characters are interesting enough to be on noncreature spells. I can 100% see a card like this, with art like this, being printed.

Balance/design-wise, this does its job, and that's cool at common. Honestly, I hate judging card draw spells because there are so many rules as to what is "broken" based on instant/sorcery speed, if it scries or discards to puts cards onto library, or even the amount of U in the mana cost. I don't see these bread-and-butter card draw spells being broken, but maybe that's only because the rules stay followed. Anyway, here you have a good amount of utility for common, and the standard amount of draw. It makes me think "why haven't we seen this before," which is always a great sign for common design. Simple, but elegantly and professional executed.

P.S. There are definitely those who would call this out for having graveyard reclaim outside of green and black, but honestly, it seems harmless enough to me that I don't give a Pack Rat's arse.

Spoiler: Blue Ghost
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Ghost View Post
    Moonsilver Vestige 3WW
    Creature - Angel Horror (R)
    Flying, vigilance
    If another creature would die, instead exile it and put a +1/+1 counter on Moonsilver Vestige.
    W, Remove two +1/+1 counters from Moonsilver Vestige: Create a 3/2 colorless Eldrazi Horror creature token.
    The remnants of Avacyn's flight carry on her great work.
    3/2

Spoiler: Render
    Show
    Good use of art. The Eldrazi vibe is captured well. It's not legendary, so I'm okay with it itself not being an Eldrazi.

The exile effect is well juxtaposed between white's hate and the few effects that belong to colorless, so that's well done. I think the second ability is good in theory, and it captures the feeling of spreading the void or whatever in a cool way, but to me that's where the card feels half-baked. If I ever played this (which would be fun) I would always pick to keep 2 counters on a guy with extreme keyword value in vigilance and flying over getting a vanilla 3/2. I'd get the value off a big flyer, then when this is targeted with removal, which I hope happens for the opponent's sake, I'll just hope I have some white mana open to get some value in tokens off before the dude dies.

This is optional, but maybe also change the first ability to "nontoken" or "non-Eldrazi" because for some reasons the 3/2s feeding into more 3/2s is unappealing to me. All in all though, lovely concept and although I did not mention it yet, lovely balance.

Spoiler: Mister Tom
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Tom View Post
    Awesome!

Armaros, Angel of Undoing 2WRR

Creature, Angel Horror (R)

T,R: destroy target artifact or enchantment.

Permanence is the illusion of every Age.
    5/4
    Cool art. Cool creature types.

I've been over this in detail, but again, I like all angels to have flying. Especially on this card I feel like the word "flying" might have even been forgotten, it would give this fellow a good buff in power.

The ability is fine, I guess. I can see artifact/enchantment removal every turn being very oppressive for some decks, though, (like my janky multiplayer Sphere of Safety/Gossamer Chains/Sigil of the Empty Throne control deck/abomination. I'd redesign the ability to be more interactive, like "whenever ~ and at least two other creatures attack, you may destroy target artifact or enchantment." Or "whenever two or more creatures you control deal combat damage to a player," or "whenever two or more creatures you control become blocked," or something. This is not spicy enough to be legendary or a rare.

"Permanents are the illusion of every Age."

Spoiler: mythmonster2
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by mythmonster2 View Post
    Da'at, the Empty One- 10
    Legendary Enchantment Creature- God (MR)
    Defender, Flying, Indestructible
    No more than one creature can attack per turn.
    It is the gate and the wall of heaven.
    10/10
    I don't like this as an enchantment creature. Doesn't make sense. I guess it could if you gave it context, but this would be better a nonenchantment Eldrazi anyway, since it has a gamechanging/breaking rule on it, and is huge and colorless. This could then be printed as the next Ulamog or something, if you also cut the defender (which needs to be done), to make this a playable finisher, and probably lose the indestructible for a more fun and interactive form of removal dodging. Every new Eldrazi legend has one, whether it's in counterpells, protection from instants, etc. Very clean concept.

Spoiler: 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3
    Show
    Sgt. Cookie with Sanguinara, the Justice of Blood! Very fun to build around, very versatile, and has ways to stick on board all without being overpowered. Satisfying thematically. Needed some refining.

Spoiler: 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2
    Show
    mystic1110 with Sword in the Back! This place is awarded for pushing so many boundaries in design and stealing my interest in doing so. I had and still have a lot to say about this card. Unfortunately, it doesn't really have a place in the real-life Magic meta, but the thought will always be appreciated by me.

Spoiler: 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1
    Show

Djinn_in_Tonin with Virulent Scourge!!! Easy to gronk, fun to build with, maybe hard to play against sometimes? I don't know, but I like -1/-1 counter designs; we don't have enough (although we're getting more every day now, literally.) The art is perfect in an eerie way. I like my rares simple but spicy, and this checks both boxes. Happy judging to you.
    Last edited by Passive Pete; 2017-04-05 at 11:46 PM.
    My Autobiography: 50 Feet Away, Chained to a Rock, and Surrounded by Werebears.

See that amazing avatar up there? You can get your own! Just ask Ceika!

Previously known as TheHatMan

29. - Top - End - #899

I was unsatisfied with Absovlis, but was too late to actually make a new design get in the contest.

Honestly I just used absorb to make the numbers on the card look more connected. Lots of 2s and 6s on the card, Absorb adds a 2 in its text and lets toughness go to 6 rather than up to 8 or 9.

Was going to change to the card in the spoiler, but was too late.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Walker of Ruin 4W
    Art: Example 2
    Creature - Angel R
    Flash
    Flying
    Walker of Ruin costs 1 less to cast for each creature you control that's died this turn.
    When Walker of Ruin enters the battlefield, target creature you control gets indestructible until end of turn.
    "I can't revive the dead, but I can prevent more from joining their ranks."
    2/4

Wording References: Deathless Angel, Other Cost Reduction Effects Dripping-Tongue Zubera
    Last edited by TurboGhast; 2017-04-06 at 09:57 PM.
    Link to true signature

30. - Top - End - #900

... That one legendary rare? My entry wasn't legendary...

You have good points, though; in retrospect I should have done "T: Add 2 mana of any color to your mana pool. Spend this mana only to cast Angel spells. If a spell cost with this mana is Legendary, that spell can't be countered."
    LGBTitP
    Proudly Founded Team 2

ó Nehra, inventor