Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 42 of 50 FirstFirst ... 1732333435363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,231 to 1,260 of 1488
  1. - Top - End - #1231
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default Re: MtG - You Make the Card V: Untapped Potential

Quote Originally Posted by Carl View Post
    Yeah i just ran this through my card tool too much text for a magic card there, you gotta cut that down, a lot, like take of the entire bottom two sections cut down.

You can find the tool here if you want to mess yourself, really handy IMO even if most future entries won't have art for obvious reasons.

- - - Updated - - -

A fix attempt for you:

Spoiler: Aetherian Transformation
    Show

In case the rule interaction is non-obvious, an aura that leaves and then returns the battlefield becomes unattached and can be attached to any valid target, it dosen;t have to go back on the original one and of course it will enter the battlefield untapped.

My biggest worry more or less with this is 0 to flicker it is almost certainly too cheap, 1W would be better but i set it to 0 to keep the original effect.
    This doesn't work as written (even ignoring shonky wording and typos). The Aura would fall off as soon as it resolved because it can only enchant creatures, but the first ability alters the target to no longer be a creature. It needs to say either "Enchant Permanent" or "Enchant Creature or Artifact" for that to work (example: Song of the Dryads, Imprisoned in the Moon).

I'd also point out that if this worked as intended, it would allow you to drop a turn 1 dork (Slippery Bogle being a fine choice), then play this turn 2 and start swinging with a 5/5 flyer. It can also double as Pacifism, allows both itself and the creature it enchants to dodge removal, can be shifted onto better targets at will and can replace itself. That's a bit much.

Here's my fix attempt:
    Aetherium Transformation 1WU
    Enhantment - Aura (U)
    Enchant Creature or Artifact
    Enhanted permanent is a noncreature artifact.
    1U: Enchanted permanent becomes a 5/5 artifact creature with flying until end of turn.
    When Aetherium Transformation is put into a graveyard from the battlefield, draw a card.
    Allergy advice: posts may contain traces of sarcasm

2. - Top - End - #1232
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ebon_Drake View Post
    This doesn't work as written (even ignoring shonky wording and typos). The Aura would fall off as soon as it resolved because it can only enchant creatures, but the first ability alters the target to no longer be a creature. It needs to say either "Enchant Permanent" or "Enchant Creature or Artifact" for that to work (example: Song of the Dryads, Imprisoned in the Moon).

I'd also point out that if this worked as intended, it would allow you to drop a turn 1 dork (Slippery Bogle being a fine choice), then play this turn 2 and start swinging with a 5/5 flyer. It can also double as Pacifism, allows both itself and the creature it enchants to dodge removal, can be shifted onto better targets at will and can replace itself. That's a bit much.

Here's my fix attempt:
    Aetherium Transformation 1WU
    Enhantment - Aura (U)
    Enchant Creature or Artifact
    Enhanted permanent is a noncreature artifact.
    1U: Enchanted permanent becomes a 5/5 artifact creature with flying until end of turn.
    When Aetherium Transformation is put into a graveyard from the battlefield, draw a card.
    Yeah i noticed the cheap 5/5 creation after i posted it and was going to suggest a higher price, forgot about it though. And nice catch on the or artifact thing. I did note the cheap dodge,l hence why it needed an appropriate cots to flicker it, i based my suggestion on other flickering mana ability cards.

p.s even your version allow a a turn 3 5/5, the cheapest blue 5/5 with flying i can think of is 4 mana and dies if it's targeted by anything.
    Last edited by Carl; 2017-07-16 at 07:43 AM.

3. - Top - End - #1233

BlackDragon

Yeah i noticed the cheap 5/5 creation after i posted it and was going to suggest a higher price, forgot about it though. And nice catch on the or artifact thing. I did note the cheap dodge,l hence why it needed an appropriate cots to flicker it, i based my suggestion on other flickering mana ability cards.

p.s even your version allow a a turn 3 5/5, the cheapest blue 5/5 with flying i can think of is 4 mana and dies if it's targeted by anything.
    True perhaps, although mine does require two colors, hampers your board development because you have keep paying to activate it and it dies to just about any removal. It possibly is still a little too "answer me or die" for an Uncommon though. I contemplated bumping it up to rare, but rare Auras make me sad because Constructed doesn't want them and they don't come up often enough to be relevant in Limited. It could probably do with losing the card draw clause so it retains the typical Aura two-for-one card disadvantage risk, I only really kept a variation on that because previous versions had it. I did also think afterwards that there's a cleaner execution of the concept:

Etherium Transformation 1U(W/B)
    Enchantment - Aura (U)
    Enchant Creature
    Enchanted creature is an artifact in addition to its types. It has flying and its base power and toughness is 5/5.

Add one mana to the cost if it's too good as-is. If the draw ability is really important for some reason, add it back in and add another one mana to the cost. Job done.
    Last edited by Ebon_Drake; 2017-07-16 at 10:44 AM.
    Allergy advice: posts may contain traces of sarcasm

4. - Top - End - #1234
    Ogre in the Playground

Tempestuous Epiphany - 2RR
    Sorcery - U
    Draw four cards, then discard a card at random.
    "With enough ideas, one of them is bound to work."
    Tibalt, the fiendblooded
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Cizak View Post
    I'm gonna be against the flow here and say outlined.

What? Everyone else are against the flow too, okay?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    In the grim statistics of the far future, there is only math.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    Most Hilarious Murderer in the Playground. Both his episodes of hysterically ending my life left me chuckling even hours later when I thought about them.
    And more in the extended signature!

Extended signature

5. - Top - End - #1235
    Bugbear in the Playground

Dack, Champion of the Gods -- 2URW
    Planeswalker -- Dack -- MR
    +1: Each player draws a card
    0: For each graveyard, exile target card in that graveyard
    -2: Exile target artifact
    -10: You get an emblem with "At the end of each turn, shuffle all graveyards into their owner's library."

I considered doing Ashiok, but there's not that much further I think I could take them.
    LGBTitP
    Proudly Founded Team 2

"Everyone starts off making garbage.
    If you finally make something halfway
    decent, it'll be the best day of your life."
    ó Nehra, inventor

6. - Top - End - #1236
    Firbolg in the Playground

Tamiyo's Story Circle GWU
    Enchantment (R)
    Whenever you draw a card, put a story counter on Tamiyo's Story Circle.
    Remove a story counter from Tamiyo's Story Circle: Scry 1.
    Remove two story counters from Tamiyo's Story Circle: Put a +1/+1 counter on target creature.
    Remove ten story counters from Tamiyo's Story Circle: Exile all nonland permanents.

Blue Ghost, Lawful Good generalist wizard, at your service.
    Love wins. S'agapo.

I make MtG cards. My portfolio

7. - Top - End - #1237

ElfMonkGuy

Vow of Ob Nixilis- 2BB
    Legendary Enchantment (R)
    When Vow of Ob Nixilis enters the battlefield, destroy target creature or planeswalker.
    Whenever a planeswalker enters the battlefield under your control, you may draw two cards. If you do, you lose three life.
    "My ambition will not be stopped by a band of upstarts. I vow I will see the Gatewatch broken and bloody before me."

I've seen some fans put up the idea of an anti-Gatewatch. Only fitting they'd have some anti-Oaths of their own.
    Last edited by mythmonster2; 2017-07-19 at 12:14 AM.

8. - Top - End - #1238

Quote Originally Posted by mythmonster2 View Post
    "My ambition will not be stopped by a band of upstarts. I swear I will see the Gatewatch broken and bloody before me."
    All I can think: "I would have gotten away with it too, if it weren't for those meddling kids!"
    LGBTitP
    Proudly Founded Team 2

ó Nehra, inventor

9. - Top - End - #1239

ElfMonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by LastCenturion View Post
    All I can think: "I would have gotten away with it too, if it weren't for those meddling kids!"
    Well, this was the last we saw of Ob, as far as I can tell
    "I promise you this," the demon said in a low snarl. "I will walk every plane, scour every pathetic world, until I find a way to bring fitting punishment down upon your misguided lives."
    Close enough for me :P
    Last edited by mythmonster2; 2017-07-16 at 07:23 PM.

10. - Top - End - #1240
    Orc in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Shouldn't judging be up soon?
    The first rule of gaming, before you have even chosen the game is and always should be

HAVE FUN

(FUN being defined as it is in dwarf fortress)

11. - Top - End - #1241

Quote Originally Posted by braveheart View Post
    Shouldn't judging be up soon?
    Judging will go up tomorrow.

12. - Top - End - #1242

Judging!

Spoiler: Dangerous Curiosity
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Sgt. Cookie View Post
    Dangerous Curiosity RU
    Instant U
    Draw two cards.
    Each opponent creates a 1/1 colourless Myr artefact creature token.
    "Their design is exquisite. But can it be replicated?" Saheeli Rai
    I think this might be a bit on the powerful, given the number of hoops you generally need to jump through for an instant speed 2cmc Divination (see Predict). This would probably see a lot of play, since a 1/1 Myr token isn't quite enough downside here I believe. The design is very clean, though, and the flavor is excellent.

Spoiler: Narset, Soulfire Ignited
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Ionbound View Post
    Narset, Soulfire Ignited-UWR

Planeswalker-Narset-MR

+1: Up to one target creature you control gains prowess and first strike until the end of the turn.
    -3: Draw a card for each spell you cast this turn.
    -7: Exile any number of cards from the top of your library. You may play non-creature cards exiled this way and may spend mana as though it were mana of any color to do so.

This is meant to be a Narset that re-discovered her red, and is leading Jeskai rebels against the Ojutai. It's also meant to be part of a cycle that includes the other khans leading their own rebellions against the dragonlord (such as Zurgo wielding the clapper of a bell as a giant mace)
    The first and second abilities are great. Probably about the right power level, though it is a bit clunky if you play Narset on turn 3, since neither of her available abilities really do anything. Using her as a delayed draw-3 is fine, though.
    The only probably is the Ultimate, which either does very little or wins you the game. As written, you only get to use the cards if you have the mana for them right now, which means you probably only get to play one or two spells and have to pay for them - which is pretty underwhelming. If you intended for the cards to be playable for as long as they remain exiled, it instead just wins you the game immediately in Commander (which is where this sort of stuff happens most). Naturally planeswalker ults are sort of intended to do that sort of thing, but this one seems particulrly abusable in that context.

Spoiler: Xenagos in the Underworld
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by mystic1110 View Post
    Xenagos in the Underworld BRG
    Enchantment Planeswalker ó Xenagos
    Indestructible.
    As long as your devotion to black, red and green is less than ten, you can't activate Xenagos's loyalty abilities.
    -3: Target creature gains haste, trample and gets +X/+0 until end of turn, where X is its power. At the beginning of the next end step, destroy that creature.
    -5: Return target black, red, or green creature card from your graveyard to the battlefield and then place a loyalty counter on Xenagos for each {B}, {R} or {G} in the mana cost of that creature.
    Starting Loyalty: 7
    It's a very unique design, but has some flaws. Firstly, he can still be attacked and doesn't actually do anything, which means he'll just die. Indestructible doesn't prevent damage from removing Loyalty counters, so it doesn't help.
    Beyond that, though, the abilities are fitting. It is a bit clunky that you can't reanimate a creature and then give it haste, though. Ten devotion is a lot, though, and I don't think he is playable unless he has some way of not dying before anything gets done. He also doesn't have a rarity (but I assume it's Mythic).

Spoiler: Saheeli Rai the Rebuilder
    Show

Since the tool i used to make it doesn't seem to let you do flavour text on planeswalker cards i'll drop it in below:

It will take much energy to rebuild, but that i and countless others have in abundance.

She's basically a planeswalker built to interact with energy. Her first ability lets you flicker a permenant to gain energy whilst manipulating her draw to get more, the second gives her a way to still use energy abilities without compromising her last ability. The last is a flat out alternate win condition.
    Saheeli is an artificer, and this doesn't really reflect that very well. The Flicker ability is pretty solid, although it gives you intinite scry when you target yourself with it so it should probably say 'other permanent'. The -4 doesn't really work properly - it should probably say 'once this turn you may activate an ability of target permanent with {E} in its cost without paying costs' or something along those lines. Granting haste to noncreature permanents is a bit strange and while it's fine in the rules it is also confusing a lot of the time. The Emblem is terribly unfun - especially considering it doesn't cost anything to make and once it's there, there is absolutely zero way the opponent can interact with it - removing energy is almost impossible and emblems can't be interacted with, so you just have to hope they never get there which is not a great scenario to put people in. It also discourages actually using all the energy you get with the deck to do interesting things, and makes you want to save it instead which is not very fun for anyone.

Spoiler: Serra, Steadfast Savior
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by TurboGhast View Post
    Serra, Steadfast Savior 1WW
    Planeswalker - Serra M
    +1: Up to one target creature you control gets +0/+2 and lifelink until the start of your next turn.
    -1: Exile target creature. Its controller gains life equal to its power.
    -7: Create X 4/4 Angel creature tokens with flying and vigilance, where X is half your life total rounded down.
    Starting Loyalty: 3

Card designed to make Venerable Angel work.

Card is designed around defensive play, rather than the more offensive focus seen in other planeswalkers in white. The first two abilities stall out the game until you can get your swarm of angels via use of the ultimate.
    The +1 is a fine ability for a defensively minded planeswalker. The -1 is, however, way too good. Swords to Plowshares is a very powerful card, and this is three of them for three mana in a single card. Note that this is a -2 (and so can only be done twice) on a six mana planeswalker in AER Ajani. If this was a -2 it would probably still be too good on a walker this cheap - repeatable removal with no real downsides is very powerful. The ult is fine, probably about right.

Spoiler: Sparkless Husk
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Gunsforhands View Post
    Sparkless Husk 1BB
    Several versions exist for the art on this card. It's always an out-of-print planeswalker we'll never see again, they're always zombified, and they always have a leash binding them to some point off-panel.
    Creature - Zombie R
    When this creature enters the battlefield, put 2 loyalty counters on each planeswalker you control and remove 2 loyalty counters from each planeswalker you don't control.
    Remove a loyalty counter from a planeswalker you control: Sparkless Husk gets +1/+1 and gains Indestructible until end of turn.
    4/3
    Firstly, removing characters permanently from potential return is pretty lame. Secondly, the 'two loyalty counter' ability is either very strong (letting you use a planeswalker's ult unexpectedly, mainly) or useless if you aren't ahead on board. Removing counters from opposing walkers is a lot less interesting, mainly because you can make the first half good by putting walkers in your own deck, but opposing ones will quite possibly have none in them. This thing compares pretty badly to Heart of Kiran when it comes to walker defense, but being functional without support and having the surprise-ult factor are nice benefits. I don't know if they are fun benefits, though, especially the surprise-ult thing.

Spoiler: Vraska's Favored
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ben-zayb View Post
    Vraska's Favored 2BG
    Creature - Insect Assassin R
    Deathtouch
    Whenever another creature deals combat damage, you may have ~ fight it.
    3/2

Edit: probably change it to a nonPW
    Edit2: added

Basically, she's in cahoots with the Kraul.
    This is a very interesting card which does some cool things. The card's text could basically be 'at end of combat, you may sacrifice this creature. If you do, destroy target attacking or blocking creature.' which functions very similar and is a bit easier to get. This would also have the problem of causing a million triggers to click through on MTGO whenever a combat happens, most of which you don't want (half of them even target your own creatures) which isn't a great bonus. It also doesn't really say anything about Vraska (bar the name), it's just an insect guy who could easily be completely unrelated to Vraska.

Spoiler: Titan Capture
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Jormengand View Post
    Titan Capture 2W
    Enchantment - R
    Titan Capture is colourless.
    Creatures with power 7 or greater can't attack or block and their activated abilities can't be activated.
    Killing Ulamog and Kozilek was a mistake. There was no room for more mistakes.

(I'm aware of the existence of Devoid as a keyword, but Ugin-themed cards have it written out in full, and - since he's apparently fighting eldrazi personally - I'd rather keep the disconnect between the two.)
    This is a solid hate card and does interesting things. It's very much a hoser sideboard card, but it doesn't completely lock out many decks (unless they have no answers to a 3-mana enchantment, but then they have other problems)
    and it definitely captures Ugin's flavor pretty well. I think this could function as a straight up colorless enchantment rather than a white one with not!devoid, although I guess Ugin does have access to colored mana. Given that Aligned Hedron Matrix already exists, at least.

Spoiler: Aetherian Transformation
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Medival Wombat View Post
    Aetherian Transformation (1)(U)(W/B)
    Uncommon Enchantment. Aura

Enchant target creature or artifact you control

Target Creature is now an Artifact and looses all other types
    Target Artifact is now also a blue flying 5/5 artifact creature
    (1U): Sacrifice Aetherian Transformation, draw a card

"Step one: Become an Artifact. Step two: [placeholder]. Step three: Profit"
    You probably want to word this as 'when ~ enters the batlefield, target creature becomes an artifact and loses all other types for as long as ~ remains on the battlefield' and 'when ~ enters the battlefield, target artifact becomes a 5/5 blue artifact creature for as long as ~ remains on the battlefield'. In terms of the challenge, I'm not sure what character this is meant to be representing. Making a creature into a noncreature artifact will often mean it does nothing,
    unless you really want a passive ability it has, and it does make it harder to remove, but it's still not particularly useful. Turning your opponent's creatures off is great, but doesn't fit the flavor of the card. Making an artifact a 5/5 is solid - Ensoul Artifact is a solid card. Sacrificing this to draw a card is a nice utility effect if the targets are gone, but I don't know how it fits flavorfully. This card could probably be monoblue rather than Esper.

Spoiler: Karn, Legacy of the Thran
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Beelzebub1111 View Post
    Karn, Legacy of the Thran 6
    Planeswalker - Karn MR
    +1 -- create two 1/1 blue Metathran Soldier creature tokens with "protection from artifacts"

+1 -- Up to two Target creatures get +1/+1 and gain flying, first strike, and trample until end of turn

-7 -- gain an emblem with "players and permenants cannot gain counters"

4 Loyalty

Karn had risen to fight the forces of phyrexia directly and what better way than reviving his father's creation that was made with the sole purpose and desire of fighting phyrexia.
    Karn compares pretty unfavorably to Elspeth, Sun's Champion, which is a pretty solid / balanced six mana curve topper in my experience. Making two creatures a turn is fine, but if your 1/1s don't stabilize the board (which they often don't) he doesn't really do anything. The other +1 is relatively unimpressive unless you have big vanilla fatties, and it doesn't really fit Karn's style of temporal manipulation, artifact synergies, and exile flavor. The ult is a reasonable anti-phyrexia thing, but it also prevents use of his own planeswalker abilities along with any others, which is a bit odd, and it completely obliterates some decks while doing nothing to others which isn't a great place to be. I'm not really sure what sort of deck wants him - especially since big-mana colorless decks would pretty much always rather have 7mana Karn.

Spoiler: Tibalt, Pain Gifter
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by braveheart View Post
    Tibalt, Pain Gifter 2RR
    (Image of tibalt showing a screaming person their own organs Tibalt has a dreamy look in his eyes)
    Plainswalker - Tibalt - MR
    +1: choose one Creature you control And one creature you don't control.Tibalt deals 2 damage to each
    -3: discard 2 cards at random then draw 3 cards
    -5: gain an emblem with "at the beggining get of your upkeep, Tibalt may deal 5 damage to target creature, if not, exile this emblem"

Tibalt hasn't changed, he's just gotten slightly better at what he does
    The +1 doesn't work unless both you and your opponent have a creature, which means on a half-empty board he can't do anything and just sits there. The -3 is solid but not being able to use it immediately is not amazing. It is very good with an empty hand, though. If you're keeping him reliant on there being lots of creatures in play, I think this Tibalt could definitely cost 3 mana.

Spoiler: Sarkhan's Disciple
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    Sarkhan's Disciple 3R
    Creature - Human Monk U
    1RR: Until end of turn, Sarkhan's Disciple becomes a Dragon, gets +2/+0 and gains Flying.
    2/4

Note: Tarkir's red monks are otherwise extinct after Fate Reforged.
    Solid uncommon. Shows what Sarkhan is up to, balanced-to-good effect (though 4/4 flyers at uncommon are great, spending 3 mana a turn is a real cost). I think the only problem the card has is the ability should probably only be usable once per turn - firebreathing is a fine ability to have, but repeatedly gaining flying is a bit odd.

Spoiler: Long-Forgotten Statue
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Eternis View Post
    Long-Forgotten Statue 5
    Legendary Artifact MR
    Shroud
    Vanishing 3
    When ~ enters the graveyard from the battlefield, if it had no time counters on it, you may search your library for a Sorin planeswalker card and put it onto the battlefield. If you do, shuffle your library and put 2 loyalty counters on that planeswalker. It gains shroud until end of turn.
    Seems okay, but for 5 mana you could almost have any Sorin immediately. The advantage is that you get to search up either of the six mana Sorins, tick them up, and threaten to ultimate next turn. This is reasonably scary, but you spent five mana to do absolutely nothing to the board for three to four turns which is probably not worth it - it lets you have a 'safe' sorin for a couple turns but doesn't give you any actual benefit you would have got if you were ticking him up.

Spoiler: Elspeth the Returned
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by tgva8889 View Post
    Elspeth the Returned 2WWB
    Planeswalker - Elspeth (M)
    +1: Create a 1/1 white Zombie Soldier token.
    +1: Each opponent loses X life, where X is the number of creatures you control. You gain X life.
    -5: Each opponent gets an emblem with "Creatures you control get -1/-1."
    Seems fine. All the abilities are pretty balanced. The Zombie Soldier might want to be white and black rather than monowhite, to differentiate it in some way for Elspeth's standard Soldier tokens. The drain is nice utility, but I don't know if it is better than the options other Elspeths have for less mana. The advantage here is the ult, which is cheap enough you threaten to do it after a single turn and causes real trouble for some decks. Definitely wants to go in a go-wide build, but pretty balanced and fits the story / colours / etc all quite well.

Spoiler: Tibalt, the Tormentor
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Passive Pete View Post
    It's been a while. What's up everyone.

Tibalt, the Tormentor 1BR
    Planeswalker - Tibalt M
    Whenever you sacrifice a permanent, discard a card, or pay life, you may put a loyalty counter on Tibalt, Maniac Tormentor.
    -1: The next time you cast a spell that targets an opponent, copy that spell.
    -X: Whenever a creature blocks this turn, it's controller loses X life.
    -5: Until end of turn, you may cast creature, instant, and sorcery spells from your graveyard by paying life equal to their converted mana cost in addition to other costs. Whenever you cast a noncreature spell this way, exile it afterwards.

For some reason it always stuck in my mind that Tibalts had to be cheap. 2-4 CMC range. The idea here is that the final ability can get back things that were discarded or sacrificed. The -X is like afflict, it might seem tacked on a bit but I think it really fits with Tibalt's character. Note that his -1 can be oppressive if used every turn, but he has no built-in way to protect himself so that's unlikely that will happen.

Ultimate wombo-combo is playing him with a lot of open lands, saccing 3+ permanents, activating ultimate move, recasting the permanents by paying life, then getting 3 loyalty counters back on Tibalt because you payed life. I can dream, ok.

EDIT: I want to note that the ultimate might seem overcosted for what might seem like an inefficient "return from graveyard" effect, but I was keeping in mind potential plays where you drop Tibalt then instantly sacrifice a lot of permanents to get him huge.
    The names aren't lined up. The loyalty ability is.. scary. The first thing that comes to mind is Legacy Storm - drop Tibalt, crack a Lion's Eye Diamond, pop the ult, and go off in a pretty scary way. This seems very abusable in the right shell. However, it's a
    very unique design. The -1 is fitting and encourages aggressive play, the -X is very good at pushing through damage, and the ult does a lot of cool things, all reasonably Tibalt-flavored.

Spoiler: Tempestuous Epiphany
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninjaman View Post
    Tempestuous Epiphany - 2RR
    Sorcery - U
    Draw four cards, then discard a card at random.
    "With enough ideas, one of them is bound to work."
    Tibalt, the fiendblooded
    This is just Concentrate with a bit more randomness. It's a very solid card and would absolutely see a lot of play, but it should probably be blue/red rather than monored and it probably fits Ral Zarek more than it does Tibalt - even in the name.

Spoiler: Dack, Champion of the Gods
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by LastCenturion View Post
    Dack, Champion of the Gods -- 2URW
    Planeswalker -- Dack -- MR
    +1: Each player draws a card
    0: For each graveyard, exile target card in that graveyard
    -2: Exile target artifact
    -10: You get an emblem with "At the end of each turn, shuffle all graveyards into their owner's library."

I considered doing Ashiok, but there's not that much further I think I could take them.
    Four abilities usually only go on pushed centerpiece planeswalkers. Now this could be the centrepiece of a set, but frankly it's hugely underpowered. He has a +1 that's equivalent to Jace Beleren's (who costs 3), and then has two very situational abilities and a very expensive ult that doesn't actually do very much. Graveyard and artifact hate are nice to have, but unless your opponent has artifacts he never gets you card advantage.
    You also can't use his 0 unless every graveyard has a card in it which is a bit clunky. It's a cool idea but the card just doesn't do anything interesting. I honestly think this could cost 3 mana and be fine - even then he wouldn't do as much as current Izzet Dack does.

Spoiler: Tamiyo's Story Circle
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Ghost View Post
    Tamiyo's Story Circle GWU
    Enchantment (R)
    Whenever you draw a card, put a story counter on Tamiyo's Story Circle.
    Remove a story counter from Tamiyo's Story Circle: Scry 1.
    Remove two story counters from Tamiyo's Story Circle: Put a +1/+1 counter on target creature.
    Remove ten story counters from Tamiyo's Story Circle: Exile all nonland permanents.
    This works pretty well. Gaining abilities as you gain more information (cards) is a fitting effect. A 'whenever you draw a card, scry 1' effect seems powerful, but I'm not sure if it's particularly overpowered for three mana. Once you have a couple of counters, it becomes all but impossible for the opponent to do combat math, but that's probably reasonable for a rare.

Spoiler: Vow of Ob Nixilis
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by mythmonster2 View Post
    Vow of Ob Nixilis- 2BB
    Legendary Enchantment (R)
    When Vow of Ob Nixilis enters the battlefield, destroy target creature or planeswalker.
    Whenever a planeswalker enters the battlefield under your control, you may draw two cards. If you do, you lose three life.
    "My ambition will not be stopped by a band of upstarts. I vow I will see the Gatewatch broken and bloody before me."

I've seen some fans put up the idea of an anti-Gatewatch. Only fitting they'd have some anti-Oaths of their own.
    The flavor is good and I think the actual card is solid too. Four mana Her's Downfall at Sorcery speed is pretty expensive, but the planeswalker trigger is very solid. If you can reach the point where you can cast this without dying you'll start to take the game over very quickly. It fits Ob as well, both in flavor and mechanics. This is one of those cards that really wants to costs three and a half mana, which is a bit awkward.

Spoiler: Top choices
    Show
    mythmonster2's Vow of Ob Nixilis
    Blue Ghost's Tamiyo's Story Circle
    Passive Pete's Tibalt, the Tormentor
    tgva8889's Elspeth the Returned
    Bucky's Sarkhan's Disciple
    Jormengand's Titan Capture
    Sgt. Cookie's Dangerous Curiosity

Spoiler: And the winner is...
    Show
    Passive Pete with Tibalt, the Tormentor! I'm sure it's broken somehow, but I don't know exactly where and it looks like great fun and a very unique / interesting design.

Last edited by Gauntlet; 2017-07-20 at 06:03 AM.

13. - Top - End - #1243
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Saheeli is an artificer, and this doesn't really reflect that very well. The Flicker ability is pretty solid, although it gives you intinite scry when you target yourself with it so it should probably say 'other permanent'. The -4 doesn't really work properly - it should probably say 'once this turn you may activate an ability of target permanent with {E} in its cost without paying costs' or something along those lines. Granting haste to noncreature permanents is a bit strange and while it's fine in the rules it is also confusing a lot of the time. The Emblem is terribly unfun - especially considering it doesn't cost anything to make and once it's there, there is absolutely zero way the opponent can interact with it - removing energy is almost impossible and emblems can't be interacted with, so you just have to hope they never get there which is not a great scenario to put people in. It also discourages actually using all the energy you get with the deck to do interesting things, and makes you want to save it instead which is not very fun for anyone.
    Good catch on the self target with the first, as for the last bit about the emblem, well thats why the -4 exists, so you can bank energy and still use the things that, well, use it. I ddi explicitly point that out when i posted it.

EDIT: Sorry if that last bit sounds a bit prissy, it's just telling me something i allready know but have tried to address dosen't tell me much about why my attempt failed. Obviously you think the 2nd ability doesn't really work very well at achieving that but you haven't really gone too much into the why's and wherefores.
    Last edited by Carl; 2017-07-20 at 06:01 AM.

14. - Top - End - #1244

Good catch on the self target with the first, as for the last bit about the emblem, well thats why the -4 exists, so you can bank energy and still use the things that, well, use it. I ddi explicitly point that out when i posted it.

EDIT: Sorry if that last bit sounds a bit prissy, it's just telling me something i allready know but have tried to address dosen't tell me much about why my attempt failed. Obviously you think the 2nd ability doesn't really work very well at achieving that but you haven't really gone too much into the why's and wherefores.
    I didn't read the -4 as a 'bank energy and still use abilities' so much as a 'use abilities more than you otherwise could' or 'use abilities when you have no energy'. Also a -4 is not going to get used often (and is probably too good when it does get used if your target is Aetherworks Marvel).

15. - Top - End - #1245
    Orc in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

for tibalt the paongifter, the first ability is actually worded such that when you activate it, if there is no targets you just get a loyalty counter and it fizzles. On the second ability it is set up to not be playable immediately because you shouldn't use him strictly as a hellbent draw 3.
    The first rule of gaming, before you have even chosen the game is and always should be

HAVE FUN

(FUN being defined as it is in dwarf fortress)

16. - Top - End - #1246
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Gauntlet View Post
    I didn't read the -4 as a 'bank energy and still use abilities' so much as a 'use abilities more than you otherwise could' or 'use abilities when you have no energy'. Also a -4 is not going to get used often (and is probably too good when it does get used if your target is Aetherworks Marvel).
    No thats fair enough comment, i'm pretty new to planeswalkers so designing one was tough. Thanks for the extra feedback :).

17. - Top - End - #1247
    Ogre in the Playground

Re: Gaining Flying repeatedly
    I used the standard templating; see e.g. Dreadwing.
    Last edited by Bucky; 2017-07-20 at 10:37 AM. Reason: added link
    The gnomes once had many mines, but now they have gnome ore.

18. - Top - End - #1248
    Halfling in the Playground

EDIT: WARNING. DISCUSSION OF IXALAN AND IXALAN LEAKS BELOW. In fact, this whole challenge is somewhat centered on Ixalan as a set and its mechanics. Read at your own risk.

Thanks to the judge! I'm sorry about the confusion with the name, it took me a while to find one I was satisfied with.

Since Amonkhet and Hour of Devastation have now come and gone, it's time to start building up hype around a new impending MtG event... in this case: Ixalan! For anyone that needs a refresher, Ixalan is a plane of dinosaurs, pirates, and some interesting color breaks. There are actually a lot of (very low quality) spoilers up already.

Your challenge is to design one of the following:
    A dinosaur
    A legendary pirate
    Something that interacts with the new treasure tokens
    (colorless artifact tokens named Treasure with "T, sacrifice this artifact: add one mana of any color to your mana pool. Example. Example.

Good luck to all
    Last edited by Passive Pete; 2017-07-21 at 06:38 PM.
    My Autobiography: 50 Feet Away, Chained to a Rock, and Surrounded by Werebears.

See that amazing avatar up there? You can get your own! Just ask Ceika!

Previously known as TheHatMan

19. - Top - End - #1249

Just a heads up that the card spoilers for Ixalan are not official, and some of us want to avoid looking at leaks if possible. If you could put up some warnings, that would be appreciated.

Love wins. S'agapo.

20. - Top - End - #1250
    Titan in the Playground

I second the comment above. Please do not discuss Ixalan spoilers or anything related to Ixalan spoilers (which are not officially revealed) until they are officially revealed.
    Thanks to araveugnitsuga for my Pika-tar!
    PTU: Alyssa OOC IC

21. - Top - End - #1251

False Allure -- 4U
    Enchantment -- Rare
    Activated abilities of Treasures cost 2 more to activate.
    LGBTitP
    Proudly Founded Team 2

ó Nehra, inventor

22. - Top - End - #1252
    Ogre in the Playground

Gemhorn Triceratops 3GG
    Creature - Lizard Beast C
    When Gemhorn Triceratops dies, create three tapped colorless Treasure artifact tokens with "T, Sacrifice this artifact: Add one mana of any color to your mana pool."
    3/5
    Last edited by Bucky; 2017-07-22 at 01:24 PM.
    The gnomes once had many mines, but now they have gnome ore.

23. - Top - End - #1253
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Spoiler: Old One Eye
    Show

Not sure on his cost or his colours. He's the archetypical villain predator that's been hunted by generations of hunters, who's seen every trick they have and doesn't care, and just gets meaner every time he gets a new scar. But that kind of ability countering is more white or blue's part of the colour pie, except this is very definitely not a traditional example of the ethier colour. And of course an effect like that is a pain to balance. Thoughts?

As an extra note i did consider giving him hexproof, but that felt like it might be unnecessarily punitive for the opponent.

24. - Top - End - #1254
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Ekplixi, the Virtuous 1UR
    Legendary Creature - Merfolk Pirate M
    Haste, Hexproof
    UU, T, Sacrifice X Treasures: Gain control of target creature with converted mana cost X.
    RR, T, Sacrifice X Treasures: Two other target creatures with converted mana cost X or less fight each other.
    3/3
    Quote Originally Posted by MERC_1 View Post
    I find it very amusing that a very theoretical discussion of how to Optimize Bardic Music, turns into a discussion on how much worms you can eat in 7 minutes.
    Extended Signature

25. - Top - End - #1255
    Ogre in the Playground

Deathbeard, the Drowned Captain - 3BB
    Legendary creature - Zombie Pirate - R
    Whenever a nontoken creature you control dies, create a colorless Treasure artifact token with "T, Sacrifice this artifact: Add one mana of any color to your mana pool."
    During each of your turns, you may cast a creature card from your graveyard. Spend only mana from Treasures to cast that creature.
    3/3
    Last edited by Ninjaman; 2017-07-21 at 06:11 AM.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Cizak View Post
    I'm gonna be against the flow here and say outlined.

What? Everyone else are against the flow too, okay?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    In the grim statistics of the far future, there is only math.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    Most Hilarious Murderer in the Playground. Both his episodes of hysterically ending my life left me chuckling even hours later when I thought about them.
    And more in the extended signature!

Extended signature

26. - Top - End - #1256

Iryllia, Master of the Illusionary Armada - 1UR
    Legendary Creature - Human Pirate Wizard - Mythic

Menace, Prowess

Whenever you cast a noncreature spell, create a colorless artifact token named Treasure. It has "T, sacrifice this artifact: add one mana of any color to your mana pool."

Whenever Iryllia attacks, if you sacrificed a Treasure this turn, create a 2/2 blue Illusion creature token that's tapped and attacking. Exile it at end of the beginning of the next end step.

1/2
    Last edited by Gauntlet; 2017-07-21 at 05:40 AM.

27. - Top - End - #1257
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Ramirez of the Infinite Seas 2WUB
    Planeswalker - Ramierez
    Whenever you sacrifice a treasure token, Gain 1 life and add a loyalty counter to Ramirez of the Infinite Seas
    +1: draw a card, then create a Treasure artifact token with "T, Sacrifice this artifact: Add one mana of any color to your mana pool."
    -10: Destroy all creatures, then create a 1/1 black Skeleton Pirate creature token with "B:Regenerate this creature" for each creature that died this way
    3 Loyalty

28. - Top - End - #1258

Quote Originally Posted by Passive Pete View Post
    Thanks to the judge! I'm sorry about the confusion with the name, it took me a while to find one I was satisfied with.

Since Amonkhet and Hour of Devastation have now come and gone, it's time to start building up hype around a new impending MtG event... in this case: Ixalan! For anyone that needs a refresher, Ixalan is a plane of dinosaurs, pirates, and white vampires. There are actually a lot of (very low quality) spoilers up already.

Your challenge is to design one of the following:
    A dinosaur
    A legendary pirate
    Something that interacts with the new treasure tokens
    (colorless artifact tokens named Treasure with "T, sacrifice this artifact: add one mana of any color to your mana pool. Example. Example.

Good luck to all
    I don't like leaks, and those links go to leaks. Please give proper warning for the future, since now I know that apparently white vampires will be a thing, which isn't something I should know yet. Same with the treasure tokens. Those would've been a cool thing to see spoiled, and now that's been taken from me.
    Last edited by BasketOfPuppies; 2017-07-21 at 06:31 PM.

29. - Top - End - #1259

Whoah, sorry everyone.

I was aware the spoilers were unofficial, but it was unheard of for me that people might actually want to avoid them. My Magic community is pretty much entirely made up of people that whip out their phones and say "Oh my god! Did you see the new leaks?" I guess I was working on the assumption everyone was as curious/eager as us. My bad on that.

Still, the challenge stands for anyone interested. Dinosaurs, legendary pirates, and Treasure tokens certainly don't have to exist in the context of Ixalan, and I almost hope they don't for this challenge. I'm really sorry about leaking Treasure tokens especially. Oh well, life goes on.

EDIT: Challenge post edited slightly
    Last edited by Passive Pete; 2017-07-21 at 06:39 PM.
    My Autobiography: 50 Feet Away, Chained to a Rock, and Surrounded by Werebears.

See that amazing avatar up there? You can get your own! Just ask Ceika!

Previously known as TheHatMan

30. - Top - End - #1260

No worries.

Huntpack Raptor 4G
    Creature - Dinosaur (R)
    When Huntpack Raptor enters the battlefield, if it isnít a token, create a token thatís a copy of it.
    Huntpack Raptor canít be blocked unless all attacking creatures named Huntpack Raptor are blocked.
    3/2

Spoiler: Image
    Show

Love wins. S'agapo.