New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 19 of 30 FirstFirst ... 91011121314151617181920212223242526272829 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #541
    Barbarian in the Playground

PirateWench

Default Re: EMPIRE2!-CWBG-VI-Save-The-Hufflepuffs!

Quote Originally Posted by moossabi View Post
    I could do trades for E3 when/if it happens, but currently E2 is too far along to get enough data to start up a table from scratch (not to mention that I have no idea how tables work in html). I think that the trad route system could work if I got the table up and running from the start of the game and updated it as rounds progressed; I procrastinate a lot have a lot of spare time so it shouldn't be too big of a problem (unless we revert back to E1's method. That would be awful to try and manage).
    Ditto. It's incredibly easy to automate - I've seen Aed's lovely spreadsheet and I have a Python version of same. For my version it was data entry that put me off doing the work, for Aed's version it was "I don't want to do the work" that put me off. However, moos, it might be worth you talking to Aed as a lot of the work is already done.

2. - Top - End - #542

Quote Originally Posted by Aedilred View Post
    OK, we weren't going to do this, but just to quell the speculation before it gets out of hand.

Empire3! is confirmed. I will be GMing. The game will start no sooner than the (Gregorian) New Year, and may be pushed back beyond that depending how much longer E2 runs, which is up to Zayuz.

We are in early discussions about rules. There will certainly be some changes to the current game rules but it is too early to go into any details. Some things which are points of concern under the current rules may be removed entirely for the next game, or changed beyond recognition.

Regarding trades specifically, player-tracked trades are only an option if trades have no mechanical function. It has long been apparent that if there is no central tracking of a given mechanical effect it doesn't get tracked reliably or verifiably across the whole playerbase. If trades remain in E3 in anything like their familiar form they will require central tracking. Ease of tracking will of course be borne in mind when the rules are worked out. Notwithstanding the above paragraph, I feel confident in asserting even at this early stage that we will not be reverting to the primary trade tracking system from E1. As Blade says, even with fewer regions*, it was much more laborious to track than the trade routes have been, even though the trade routes are in some ways a more complex system.

Further, without wishing to appear overly dictatorial or unkind, and while obviously we will try our best to create a game which all players, whether current, returning or new, can enjoy and appreciate, please don't get too excited about making polls, surveys or the like to try to decide what should or should not make it into the next game (or indeed this one); I can't guarantee we will even look at them, and if we do, we won't feel beholden to abide by whatever the results apparently suggest. Of course, if you have any brilliant ideas you think the next game would benefit from, please feel free to PM me or Zayuz or Quinton so that we can see them, but, again, please don't be offended if any such ideas are not implemented.

In any case, E3 is, while now on the foreseeable horizon, not starting for some time, so I suggest continuing to make the most of E2 for as long as it lasts.

*By the end of the game, there were around 200 regions in E1 by my estimate. In E2 there theoretically exist at least 550, though not all of them are in play.
    Bumping this to the next page because it's important.
    "What is to give light must endure burning."

3. - Top - End - #543

PirateWench

That's my fault sorry, I must have been typing as Aed was.

4. - Top - End - #544
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

OK, we weren't going to do this, but just to quell the speculation before it gets out of hand.

Empire3! is confirmed. I will be GMing. The game will start no sooner than the (Gregorian) New Year, and may be pushed back beyond that depending how much longer E2 runs, which is up to Zayuz.

We are in early discussions about rules. There will certainly be some changes to the current game rules but it is too early to go into any details. Some things which are points of concern under the current rules may be removed entirely for the next game, or changed beyond recognition.

Regarding trades specifically, player-tracked trades are only an option if trades have no mechanical function. It has long been apparent that if there is no central tracking of a given mechanical effect it doesn't get tracked reliably or verifiably across the whole playerbase. If trades remain in E3 in anything like their familiar form they will require central tracking. Ease of tracking will of course be borne in mind when the rules are worked out. Notwithstanding the above paragraph, I feel confident in asserting even at this early stage that we will not be reverting to the primary trade tracking system from E1. As Blade says, even with fewer regions*, it was much more laborious to track than the trade routes have been, even though the trade routes are in some ways a more complex system.

Further, without wishing to appear overly dictatorial or unkind, and while obviously we will try our best to create a game which all players, whether current, returning or new, can enjoy and appreciate, please don't get too excited about making polls, surveys or the like to try to decide what should or should not make it into the next game (or indeed this one); I can't guarantee we will even look at them, and if we do, we won't feel beholden to abide by whatever the results apparently suggest. Of course, if you have any brilliant ideas you think the next game would benefit from, please feel free to PM me or Zayuz or Quinton so that we can see them, but, again, please don't be offended if any such ideas are not implemented.

In any case, E3 is, while now on the foreseeable horizon, not starting for some time, so I suggest continuing to make the most of E2 for as long as it lasts.

*By the end of the game, there were around 200 regions in E1 by my estimate. In E2 there theoretically exist at least 550, though not all of them are in play.
    Still, if trades do remain a mechanical thing then I'd be open to managing them.

In the meantime, I should probably get on top of how tables work...

Spoiler: Practice table that I created
    Show
    Header! Header! Header! Header!
    What Testing Testing 123
    What happens with fewer rows? Margin fix, away! That did not work. At all. So how do I make this look good...?
    testrow testrow testrow testrow

After some really really weird outcomes, I figured it out via reverse engineering some of the tables in the rules thread. So yeah, I'm going to spend tomorrow afternoon making my actions nice and pretty.
    Last edited by moossabi; 2016-10-11 at 10:27 PM.

5. - Top - End - #545
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

As Blade says, even with fewer regions*, it was much more laborious to track than the trade routes have been, even though the trade routes are in some ways a more complex system.

Thanks for the clarifications regarding region numbers. Is the thought that it will return to E1 numbers? Smaller? Bigger? Not decided?

Also, who qualifies as we? Could interested parties perhaps join that pronoun designation?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Jake View Post
    Kill a PC's father? Well that's just the cost of doing business.
    Steal a PC's boots? Now it's personal.
    Please take everything I say with a grain of salt. Unless we're arguing about alignment. In which case, you're wrong.

Former EMPIRE2! Player: Imperator of the Nihoni Dominion
    Former EMPIRE3! Player: Suzerain of the Phœnīx Estates
    Former EMPIRE4! Player: Margrave of the Margraviate of Rhune
    My Awesome Campaign Setting

6. - Top - End - #546
    Ettin in the Playground

Tommy, could you let the coalition know where you plan to attack? The obvious choice is regions promised to the Greys in the initial planning stage of the war (listed in my demands and also including Xeroas), but if you have different ideas we could entertain them.

I was old when the pharaohs first mounted
    The jewel-decked throne by the Nile;
    I was old in those epochs uncounted
    When I, and I only, was vile;

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by apocalypsePast2 View Post
    ...one could possibly refer to you guys' elaborate dance of allies-to-enemies-to-suicide-of-the-universe as some sort of weird art form.

If one were on drugs.
    Quote Originally Posted by VonDoom View Post
    Behold, the mighty slayer of strangely coloured mutant equines! The thwarter of forum woes! The! Dark! DM!

7. - Top - End - #547

Goblin

My one request for E3 is that the stats are put in a more memorable order.
    total-cluster**** of yogurt, drugs and sheep in EMPIRE!
    The rodent tribes of the Ruby Legion in EMPIRE2!
    The goblin kingdom of Jauder in EMPIRE3!
    The sailors of Izbefe in EMPIRE4!

8. - Top - End - #548

PirateWench

The first of my demands for E3 is that the stats are put in a less memorable order and that their names are changed to seemingly random sets of alphanumeric symbols that bear no relation to the aspect they represent.

9. - Top - End - #549
    Ogre in the Playground

Still, if trades do remain a mechanical thing then I'd be open to managing them.

In the meantime, I should probably get on top of how tables work...

Spoiler: Practice table that I created
    Show
    Header! Header! Header! Header!
    What Testing Testing 123
    What happens with fewer rows? Margin fix, away! That did not work. At all. So how do I make this look good...?

After some really really weird outcomes, I figured it out via reverse engineering some of the tables in the rules thread. So yeah, I'm going to spend tomorrow afternoon making my actions nice and pretty.
    There are easy ways to maintain tables in excel and then copy/paste them into HTML. I build tables and then use this:
    =CONCATENATE("[TR][Td]",B1,"[/td][td]",C1,"[/td][td]",D1,"[/td][/tr]")
    to combine them all into the relevant table-row string for HTML. THen I just copy-paste that column into the posting.
    Last edited by lt_murgen; 2016-10-12 at 09:04 AM.
    Keeper of the 49 Rules.

Pet Peeve: Yay ≠ Yeah

10. - Top - End - #550

PirateWench

Quote Originally Posted by lt_murgen View Post
    There are easy ways to maintain tables in excel and then copy/paste them into HTML. I build tables and then use this:
    =CONCATENATE("[TR][Td]",B1,"[/td][td]",C1,"[/td][td]",D1,"[/td][/tr]")
    to combine them all into the relevant table-row string for HTML. THen I just copy-paste that column into the posting.
    Errrrm.

I kinda hate to do this but you know you can just copy and paste it straight in, right?

So here's an excel table:

I selected the cells and hit CTRL+C then STARTED THE WYSIWYG EDITOR (clicked once on the A/A button in the top left), then hit CTRL+V. Then turned off the wysiwyg editor and was given the following code:

Code:
    1 a
    2 b
    3 c
    which displays like this:

1 a
    2 b
    3 c

I then made it a bit pretty by changing the first line to:

Code:
    [TABLE="width: 144, class: head alt1 thick_outer_border_grid sortable"]
    Which gives me:

1 a
    2 b
    3 c

EDIT: Huh. Code tags don't work as expected. Quote the message to see the code.
    Last edited by Kythia; 2016-10-12 at 09:46 AM.

11. - Top - End - #551
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkDM View Post
    Tommy, could you let the coalition know where you plan to attack? The obvious choice is regions promised to the Greys in the initial planning stage of the war (listed in my demands and also including Xeroas), but if you have different ideas we could entertain them.
    Probably 174 or 176.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Jake View Post
    Kill a PC's father? Well that's just the cost of doing business.
    Steal a PC's boots? Now it's personal.
    Please take everything I say with a grain of salt. Unless we're arguing about alignment. In which case, you're wrong.

Former EMPIRE2! Player: Imperator of the Nihoni Dominion
    Former EMPIRE3! Player: Suzerain of the Phœnīx Estates
    Former EMPIRE4! Player: Margrave of the Margraviate of Rhune
    My Awesome Campaign Setting

12. - Top - End - #552

please don't get too excited about making polls, surveys or the like to try to decide what should or should not make it into the next game
    Should we create more polls?
    http://www.strawpoll.me/11417411

13. - Top - End - #553
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Zayuz View Post
    1.) Conquer region 116 (Arender) with 8 Naval Units and 4 Land units under the command of Duke Aghrim [Military]
    Arendar is landlocked (and between Rando and I there's like 14+ dudes attacking already).

Did you mean 119?

14. - Top - End - #554
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

You may want to find/appoint somebody to police people's actions, so that metagaming does not exist. As that rather quickly kills the whole spirit of the game. Since people using out of character information and motivations to dictate their in-game actions kills the fun of everybody else that the metagamer(s) interacts(-s) with. It is an RP world building game, after all. The point of the game is to build a colourful and deep world, not to win.

15. - Top - End - #555
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

As for actual rules changes... I have always thought that you could encourage players to interact with one another, in an attempt to negotiate trade and other things, would be that if random resource requirements were added. Leave in the player chosen requirements for stabilization, if that mechanic remains. But add in a randomly determined resource as well. That if met, which could be anything from easy to impossible, would offer a boon. Some extra bonus to the locale, like an extra resource being produced (always minor), improving the regular resource's quality by a grade, or even proffering the ability to support an extra military unit. Nothing game breaking, but something that would definitely be worth trying to meet the requirement for.

In regards to the smaller world, and less regions. Likely a good idea, especially in regards to adding depth to the world. Since that is the entire point of the game. Perhaps it could be tweaked so that players could expand their "empire" internally. So instead of going out exploring for new regions to claim or colonize, people would grow internally. Have people explore within their borders, for new places to build cities, or collect resources. Build churches/monasteries. Military bases. Et cetera. Nations would still grow or shrink depending on a player's relationship with their neighbours. But they would no longer be walking into already populated regions and declaring themselves the new Grand Poobah of a people that already has an existing leader and culture. Players could focus on expanding the lore, history, culture, and story of their people. Not make them write up a new region that existed invisibly in the "fog of war" of the map. A region that, as mentioned, was already populated.

Zayuz asked me a question awhile back. What reason did a region have to join me. A good question. A question that I do not think that was considered for the vast majority of "new" regions that came along as various empires grew. If players grew their provinces internally, rather than externally, the reason would be clear and obvious. A rich mineral vein was discovered, so a mine needed to be built. A town to house the workers was likewise required. Some wildlife was discovered, so people were needed to breed and herd them. A good location for a port was discovered. So on and so forth. Let people add depth to their empires as they expand and grow their power and influence within their borders. That they can then use to leverage possible external growth later.

It would also add some context to military conflicts. Players would be conquering towns and cities, rather than entire provinces. Holding a province the size of the ones that exist in E2 with two thousand soldiers is nigh impossible. Just look at the size of the provinces. The smallest is still larger than some real world nations. Do you think that two thousand soldiers would be enough to defend and protect an area that can house a million people?

Hell, you could even use stat actions to improve your cities. Use a Military 5 to expand the barracks/walls/towers on a town, and it can house an extra unit. Or gets a defence/attack bonus. Faith 5 to build a church or monastery to give a bonus to conversion rolls. Things like that.

16. - Top - End - #556

Goblin

Notice on war M9 is attacking two regions and I will get to defences tonight.

17. - Top - End - #557
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by woolli264 View Post
    Same, but without the defenses.

m9, I've got a challenge for you in my News/Rumors.
    Last edited by moossabi; 2016-10-13 at 08:46 AM.

18. - Top - End - #558

Goblin

HafTangible Are you marching through unexplored/uncolonized regions to get to 136 or just assuming that I am not defending P18? Because you definitely do not have permission from the CU to travel through P18.
    Last edited by woolli264; 2016-10-13 at 05:42 PM.

19. - Top - End - #559
    Titan in the Playground

HafTangible Are you marching through unexplored/uncolonized regions to get to 136 or just assuming that I am not defending P18? Because you definitely do not have permission from the CU to travel through P18.
    I was under the impression that you could move through the territory of someone you're at war with. You would be able to intercept my units, but I could still try and move through your territory. If I was wrong, I'll change my attack.
    Last edited by HalfTangible; 2016-10-13 at 06:15 PM.
    Hate me if you want. But that's your issue to fix, not mine.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

When Gods Go To War comes out March 8th

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

20. - Top - End - #560
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by HalfTangible View Post
    I was under the impression that you could move through the territory of someone you're at war with. You would be able to intercept my units, but I could still try and move through your territory. If I was wrong, I'll change my attack.
    How does that even make any sense?

21. - Top - End - #561
    Titan in the Playground

How does that even make any sense?
    I'm still not entirely sure why you need permission to move through someone's territory at all (mechanically), to be frank. It's not like an army is gonna care about border policies.

But point taken, I'll change it.

Extended Sig

22. - Top - End - #562

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by HafTangible View Post
    I was under the impression that only naval battles were affected by interception rules.

23. - Top - End - #563
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

BTW if anyone here has off-forum contact with Randoman could you please tell him to log back on before we can't edit our war actions?

I really want to make sure that we can avoid a recurrence of the confusion surrounding Nettofurikusu last round.

Also props to wooli for defending Arendar in place of Niran; I needed some propaganda fuel beyond just "They're evil, ooooooooooooh!", and now I get to use "Your leader gave you a dramatic speech about your salvation only to abandon you at the hands of the rabid horde of Gnolls whose king specifically challenged him to a military battle which he fled."

24. - Top - End - #564

Goblin

BTW if anyone here has off-forum contact with Randoman could you please tell him to log back on before we can't edit our war actions?

I really want to make sure that we can avoid a recurrence of the confusion surrounding Nettofurikusu last round.

Also props to wooli for defending Arendar in place of Niran; I needed some propaganda fuel beyond just "They're evil, ooooooooooooh!", and now I get to use "Your leader gave you a dramatic speech about your salvation only to abandon you at the hands of the rabid horde of Gnolls whose king specifically challenged him to a military battle which he fled."
    Lol you're welcome I will point out that Niran is the title not the name of m9's leaders

25. - Top - End - #565
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Lol you're welcome I will point out that Niran is the title not the name of m9's leaders
    Ah, my apologies. I was unaware of that.

26. - Top - End - #566
    Ettin in the Playground

By my count you guys are currently deploying 81 units, FYI.

Spoiler
    Show
    ...one could possibly refer to you guys' elaborate dance of allies-to-enemies-to-suicide-of-the-universe as some sort of weird art form.

If one were on drugs.
    Behold, the mighty slayer of strangely coloured mutant equines! The thwarter of forum woes! The! Dark! DM!

27. - Top - End - #567
    Titan in the Playground

I was under the impression that only naval battles were affected by interception rules.
    Nah, you can intercept someone's land route too. There's just (usually) less reason to do so since you could just go to wherever they're attacking and get the same result (as opposed to a sea interception which stops them AND puts their land units at 1/4th effectiveness).

That's my understanding of it, anyway >.>

Extended Sig

28. - Top - End - #568

Goblin

By my count you guys are currently deploying 81 units, FYI.
    Dang, forgot m9 was using troops, my bad.

Man, this everyone vs the CU stuff is triiiickyyy

EDIT: should be fixed now.
    Last edited by woolli264; 2016-10-13 at 08:07 PM.

29. - Top - End - #569
    Ettin in the Playground

Dang, forgot m9 was using troops, my bad.

Man, this everyone vs the CU stuff is triiiickyyy

EDIT: should be fixed now.
    Hey, you could accept my generous peace terms.

Spoiler
    Show

If one were on drugs.

30. - Top - End - #570
    Titan in the Playground

Hey, you could accept my generous peace terms.
    Please don't.

I haven't had an excuse until this war for the Primal to get REALLY nasty.

Extended Sig