New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 30 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Barbarian in the Playground

Goblin

Default Re: EMPIRE2!-CWBG-VI-Save-The-Hufflepuffs!

Zayuz when the elemental quadrants are recruited do they just become troops in that players control. I am just checking in case that is not the case so that I do not mess up the military tables.
    total-cluster**** of yogurt, drugs and sheep in EMPIRE!
    The rodent tribes of the Ruby Legion in EMPIRE2!
    The goblin kingdom of Jauder in EMPIRE3!
    The sailors of Izbefe in EMPIRE4!

2. - Top - End - #152

Quote Originally Posted by Kythia View Post
    For approval:

Spoiler: 109 Emiqolombeni
    Show

Spoiler: Terrain
    Show
    High peaks, the majority of which are snowcapped all year separated by steep valleys with fast flowing streams running through them. While there is some greenery in the valleys the vast majority of the region has nothing more than lichen. Numerous caves dot the mountains and one or two show signs of former habitation - one large complex has been worked with stone tools to open caves in to one another and form a fairly expansive complex. This system, called Emiqolombeni by the Izele who have taken residence in there, has sections that are naturally heated by the magma reservoir of a currently dormant volcano.

Spoiler: People
    Show
    The natives of Emiqolombeni are tall fair skinned humans living in primitive clan-based structures semi-united under a High King who demands tribute from the clans under force of arms. However they number only in the thousands. Since their arrival in the region, the dominant ethnic group is the Izele.

The Izele are a tall and powerfully muscled dark skinned people better at short bursts of exertion than sustained endurance. Of course, it's only outsiders who recognise the existence of "the Izele" as a demograph. To the people themselves, they are a widely disparate group who's loyalty is to the clan not the people. Clans form a complicated web of rivalries, alliances and power structures rendered even more disparate by the region not having a single language. While scholars realise all the clan's languages are from a common root, that doesn't necessarily make them mutually intelligible and geographically seperated clans struggle to understand each other without specifically learning one another's language. Maintaining the shifting power structures across this language barrier, though, has given the inhabitants a remarkable skill with picking up at least the basics of a new language.

Spoiler: Resources
    Show

The eight-of-an-inch-long beetles known as Rust Beetles pervade this entire region. They build massive mounds, looking like termite mounds and in some cases stretching up to two or three metres tall. These mounds are made of rusted iron, the Rust Beetles somehow use the heat released by oxidising iron to warm their hatchlings, though of course Izele science isn't sufficiently advanced to phrase it in those terms.

Centuries or longer, though, of Rust Beetle depredation of the natural resources has left what was presumably a once iron-rich area sorely lacking and in fact some of the mounds are dying off.

(Has: [Great] Rust Beetles
    Requires: Metal - B)

Spoiler: Faith
    Show
    Living in such a harsh environment, the natives do not have their own religion. Some follow a simplistic animalism, praying to mountains to hold off the snow or the sparse forests to keep providing fuel. The Izele have brought the shattered remnants of their own religion which they practice in their cave complex.
    (Majority Paganism, Minority Animism
    Approved

Quote Originally Posted by Catrus View Post
    Region for approval...

Spoiler: The Strangled Highlands (495)
    Show

Population: 663,000
    Show
    The Strangled Highlands earned their name, but not through cruelty. Strictly through bad fortune. The mountain forests are thick with strangling vines. These vines sprout all over, wrapping themselves around all other native vegetation. Suckling nutrients and life from them, to satiate their own growth. A wild and uncontrolled growth.

The peaks are mostly barren, stretching higher than the native wildlife is willing to go. But below the peaks, the mountains are covered with thick evergreen forests. Snows cover the peaks and forests, but only during the winters. The rest of the year the peaks remain rocky and barren.

Show
    The people of The Strangled Highlands are mostly human, of average height and build. Fair skinned and haired. The are nomadic, travelling all throughout the peaks when the weather is nice, but settling down in large communes when the snows begin to settle. Numerous groups gather together for the winter in ancient stone castles carved into the mountain sides.

The folk tell tales of giants that stride across the peaks when the snows come. Chasing all the people into hiding, until the spring comes, and the snows melt. These giants are said to eat any poor unfortunate fool that would dare venture out into the blizzards.

Spoiler: Resource
    Show
    The creeping itchweed, the wild vines that grow all over the mountain slopes, are a strange plant. The vines are coated with short prickly hairs, that greatly irritate the skin. However, along the vines grow thick fibrous pods, within which dwell large spongy beans. Incredibly sweet tasting, yet mildly toxic if not washed, prepared, and cooked properly. (pole beans) (good)

With most native vegetation covered in the itchweed, the highlands find themselves short on natural animal wildlife to hunt. Thus, the people crave the flesh and skins of animals from other lands. (meat/skins)

Approved, though I must say I'm fairly interested in how the Vr'Kx and the human nomads feel about eachother since they brought the region into their empire. If you could include that somewhere in the people section then this is good to go.

Quote Originally Posted by woolli264 View Post
    Zayuz when the elemental quadrants are recruited do they just become troops in that players control. I am just checking in case that is not the case so that I do not mess up the military tables.
    They remain as mercenaries when they are added, and will aid in any battle fought by those people. Because of their mercantile nature they can be bought out by someone else with a contested 2d6+Half Dip/Half Cur roll, where I think I might include minted coinage if it's applicable. This should become clearer when NPC actions (for the GM controlled NPCs) come out.
    "What is to give light must endure burning."

3. - Top - End - #153
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Region Write-up (Thanks Murgen!)
    Show

The Frozen Sky
    Region 297
    Population: 683,000
    Show

The Frozen Sky is the name given to the mountainous region along the border with the polar regions to the north. A small area of heavily forested tundra exists in the south west corner of the land. The rest is covered by the Frozen Sky glacier. The glacier itself covers the mountaintops, and fills the valleys to a depth of 7-8 sound, in some locations even double that. It is a vast sheet wall of slightly blue-tinted ice. During the numerous sunny days, it is often difficult to see where the land ends, and the pale blue sky starts, hence the name of the region. The ice itself fractures and reflects the light deep within itself, making a deep chasm appear only modest depth.
    Life is sparse along the glacier. A unique species of Viridian moss grows in sheltered bands. Something within the moss prevents it from freezing, even in the depths of winter. Ice-cutter ants carve the glacier and make their nests, feasting on the moss. Some birds nest here, feeding on the ants, and ant-badgers roam far and wide to find nests to unearth and consume.
    The land is inhospitable to cross. Strong cold winds and high-elevation lack of breathable air are constant threats. Avalanches and trap-crevisses are constant threats. Despite this, hardy adventurers often make their way across the glaciers. A wide range of valuable, blue-hued gemstones can be found within the ice.
    There is another part of the Frozen Sky, one most travelers do not see. Buried under the glacier, dozens of streams and rivers flow, carrying melt-water southward. Ages of slow undermining by the streams have created a vast network of channels, caves, and lakes. Life giving nutirents from the melting ice above and the mountains below feed a wide variety of aquatic life- algea, krill, fish, crabs, and the like. A small species of hammerhead shark has adapted to the rivers. Seldom growing longer than a man’s arm, they feed on the crabs within the streams.

Spoiler: people, society, & government
    Show

There are two groups of people living in the Frozen Sky. The first are a group of humans. They are settled in a large stronghold, Freetown, in the Southwest of the land. It is a frontier mining town catering to the brave souls who venture onto the glacier for the gems. It is strongly fortified against both the elements and the cougar and bear prevalent in the region. It’s leader controls the logging guild, which in turn controls all the building materials and heating fuel for the entire town. The remainder of the town are hunters, trappers, fisher-folk and farmers. Gem hunters come in from the wastes to trade their hard-won gems for deer-hide and mink or hare-fur lined clothing as well as moose-jerky rations. Drinking and gambling is common, and fights even more so. .
    The second, larger group, are a peculiar species of Drimma. They are a stout and hardy people with broad shoulders and thick frames. Like their southern cousins, they are remarkably hirsute and well insulated from the cold. They tend to wear more clothing than those in the south. The drimma are tireless workers, able to labour for hours under the harshest conditions and walk for days on end without rest. As hardy in mind as they are in body, the average drimma is disciplined and intently focused on the job at hand, leading other races to often see them as dour or even humourless, but in private they are every bit as passionate and expressive as any human.
    These Drimma inhabit the caverns, ice-cathedrals, and causeways deep below the ice. Subsiting on a diet drawn from the waterways, their skin has a permanent blue hue and their hair generally white.
    Relationships between the two groups are cordial, but cool. Miners resent the drimma, claiming they defend the best gem sites with deadfalls and avalanche. The drimma resent the miners for their rough and damaging digging which causes damage to the depths below.
    Spoiler: Sky Drimma
    Show

Show

Export: GOOD True Ice {Magic}
    Import: barley {grain}
    One of the most sacred treasures of the Sky-Drimma are the small, round mystical stones. Called True Ice, it has the ability to moderate temperatures. Water with a fragment of true ice will never freeze. Heated water rapidly cools to near, but not quite, freezing. Each infant drimma is gifted with a small stone to protect them from the bitter cold all around their domain. They never feer freezing to death or frostbite while they have their shard.
    The human miners value it as well. It does not work as well on humans, who may suffer frostbite to the extremities. But it will keep them alive on the freezing glacial surface.
    True Ice stones are only found in the subterranean glacial lakes. They are almost exclusively collected by the Sky Drimma.

The rough and tumble miners and drimma crave beer and hot soups, so importing enough barley is important. It is the preferred flavor of the region.
    Spoiler: true ice
    Show

Spoiler: Religion
    Show

The area has no formal religion. Most treat the glacier itself with superstition, cursing or blessing “her” providence as circumstances suggest.
    Last edited by HalfTangible; 2016-09-21 at 12:34 PM.
    Hate me if you want. But that's your issue to fix, not mine.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

When Gods Go To War comes out March 8th

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

4. - Top - End - #154
    Ettin in the Playground

Mary, I have a present for you in my news and rumors.

I was old when the pharaohs first mounted
    The jewel-decked throne by the Nile;
    I was old in those epochs uncounted
    When I, and I only, was vile;

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by apocalypsePast2 View Post
    ...one could possibly refer to you guys' elaborate dance of allies-to-enemies-to-suicide-of-the-universe as some sort of weird art form.

If one were on drugs.
    Quote Originally Posted by VonDoom View Post
    Behold, the mighty slayer of strangely coloured mutant equines! The thwarter of forum woes! The! Dark! DM!

5. - Top - End - #155
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkDM View Post
    Mary, I have a present for you in my news and rumors.
    Is it a puppy?

Dammit Nobody gives anyone a puppy anymore.

Extended Sig

6. - Top - End - #156
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HalfTangible View Post
    Is it a puppy?

Dammit Nobody gives anyone a puppy anymore.
    Not sure if you want it for pet or for food, so here you go...

https://youtu.be/E3v_Dv2K5M8
    Keeper of the 49 Rules.

Pet Peeve: Yay ≠ Yeah

7. - Top - End - #157
    Ettin in the Playground

Sorry to the people and tumbleweeds at the Grand Ball. I'll get a response up in the actual morning.
    Mauve Shirt, Savannah, Gnomish Wanderer, Cuthalion and Smuchmuch get cookies for making me avatars. (::)
    (::) Current avatar by Smuchmuch (::)

Co Founder of LUTAS - For all your less than useful heroes out there.

My Deviant Art. Careful, it's full of ponies.

Dragons!

8. - Top - End - #158

My question may have been missed, so I will ask again.

"Do I reroll my ruler or do I use the same one for this round and roll a new one for next round?"

9. - Top - End - #159

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by Zayuz View Post
    Approved

Approved, though I must say I'm fairly interested in how the Vr'Kx and the human nomads feel about eachother since they brought the region into their empire. If you could include that somewhere in the people section then this is good to go.

They remain as mercenaries when they are added, and will aid in any battle fought by those people. Because of their mercantile nature they can be bought out by someone else with a contested 2d6+Half Dip/Half Cur roll, where I think I might include minted coinage if it's applicable. This should become clearer when NPC actions (for the GM controlled NPCs) come out.
    In that case here is the military table for review.
    Military Table
    Spoiler
    Show

Nation Region Count Land Units Naval Units Total Units Unit Cap
    Berrium 16 7 10 17 35
    Crystal Union 37 54 27 81 81
    Grey Drieduch 6 5 8 13 15
    Hagiarchy of Besina 4 11 0 11 11
    Izele Clans 1 4 0 4 5
    Jörmungandr 15 11 0 14 33
    Kalamahar NPC 8 4 7 9 19
    Koya 13 16 0 16 29
    League of Allied Provinces 40 34 33 67 83
    Melrakki-ey NPC 10 4 15 19 23
    ND Transcendent Unity 2 0 0 0 7
    ND United Nihoni Exarchate 15 22 9 31 33
    Nemeria 15 8 25 33 33
    PE Aardrosil NPC 6 12 0 12 15
    PE Anceris 18 5 10 15 33
    PE Cahoosa 12 22 1 23 28
    PE Clan Holds 11 11 8 19 25
    PE North Hold NPC 3 5 0 5 9
    PE Pale Reach NPC 5 8 0 6 14
    Praetorian Protectorate 19 22 7 29 41
    Primus Imperium 15 9 7 16 31
    QA Avonlea 19 17 6 23 41
    QA Stormlands NPC 9 5 0 5 21
    Rose Courts 41 33 52 85 85
    Silver Horde 1 6 0 6 5
    TK Jagalata 3 5 0 5 9
    TK Transfirlia 8 9 0 9 19
    Unicity of Seereno 7 5 6 11 17
    Univale Commune 6 8 0 8 15
    Vr'kxian Empire 7 5 4 9 17
    Last edited by woolli264; 2016-09-21 at 06:17 PM.

10. - Top - End - #160
    Bugbear in the Playground

How are my land units at 8, but total units at 4? :small tongue:

Edit: Unicity of Seereno's units also don't add up.
    Last edited by Epinephrine_Syn; 2016-09-21 at 04:50 PM.

11. - Top - End - #161
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

-snippity snip snip-
    Last edited by Catrus; 2016-09-22 at 03:57 AM.

12. - Top - End - #162
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Epinephrine_Syn View Post

The Silver Horde's unit count also seems a bit off, as they currently have more units than their maximum limit would allow.

Also, my own unit count does not seem to include the 3000 units I gained from claiming 495.

13. - Top - End - #163
    Titan in the Playground

The Silver Horde's unit count also seems a bit off, as they currently have more units than their maximum limit would allow.

Also, my own unit count does not seem to include the 3000 units I gained from claiming 495.
    They have more than their max because you just took 2 of their territories Give it till then end of this round.

Also... i could've missed something, but judging from the map you don't have 495

Extended Sig

14. - Top - End - #164

Quote Originally Posted by DimpleLoamsdown View Post
    My question may have been missed, so I will ask again.

"Do I reroll my ruler or do I use the same one for this round and roll a new one for next round?"
    Your choice - Note that your ruler cannot participate in any battles though.

15. - Top - End - #165

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by Epinephrine_Syn View Post

Sorry about that. It appears that sometimes I add the units without adding them to the total units.
    both cases are fixed.

I continuously forget to check if claimed regions had troops. Sorry.

Although, now that I review it I don't believe that your claim was addressed in the round opener. Zayuz may want to look into it.
    Last edited by woolli264; 2016-09-21 at 06:20 PM.

16. - Top - End - #166

Quote Originally Posted by Zayuz View Post
    Your choice - Note that your ruler cannot participate in any battles though.
    Thanks! I think I will keep the crowning ceremony of Jelha De for another round.

17. - Top - End - #167
    Ettin in the Playground

Everyone who received an invitation from me, the thread it up.

Everyone else, I would appreciate it if you would refrain from reading. It is a secret conclave, after all.

Spoiler
    Show
    ...one could possibly refer to you guys' elaborate dance of allies-to-enemies-to-suicide-of-the-universe as some sort of weird art form.

If one were on drugs.
    Behold, the mighty slayer of strangely coloured mutant equines! The thwarter of forum woes! The! Dark! DM!

18. - Top - End - #168
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

I could've missed something, but judging from the map you don't have 495
    Quote Originally Posted by woolli264 View Post
    I continuously forget to check if claimed regions had troops. Sorry.

Although, now that I review it I don't believe that your claim was addressed in the round opener. Zayuz may want to look into it.
    My mistake, apparently.

19. - Top - End - #169

PirateWench

Sorry to anyone whose been waiting on stuff from me. Been a busy week. Should be caught up soon so if there's anything people need from me that they haven't had by the weekend then please could you prod me about it. I'll've forgotten.

ETA: Zayuz - just noticed that the map shows region 86 as belonging to me - it doesn't, Avonlea took it last turn.
    Last edited by Kythia; 2016-09-22 at 05:40 AM.

20. - Top - End - #170
    Ogre in the Playground

Everyone else, I would appreciate it if you would refrain from reading. It is a secret conclave, after all.
    You horrible tease, you!
    Keeper of the 49 Rules.

Pet Peeve: Yay ≠ Yeah

21. - Top - End - #171
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Then why didn't you send it via PM?

22. - Top - End - #172

Goblin

My right hand moves the mouse towards the link and prepares to click but my left hand takes over and presses control hovering it's index finger over the w key. Tension builds as both fingers float. Do I click with my right and learn the secrets of my enemy? Do I press with my left and allow more realistic reactions to whatever is sure to occur next IC? The split second seems to drag on for hours as I run scenarios through my head. Then I finally decide. As I move the finger that may decide the future of the game for the Crystal Union a stiffness comes over my body. Will I regret this decision? What if I am making a mistake. I push forwards muttering, "no regrets" and then suddenly, without warning, unpredictably, unexpectedly, out of the blue and completely uncalled for I decide to not be a jerk and I don't click the link. Control W initiates the tab blows up and we all live happily ever after.

23. - Top - End - #173
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by moossabi View Post
    Then why didn't you send it via PM?
    Because if someone goes looking through Empire threads the secret ones aren't hard to find. This way at least we've firmly established the honor system is in place.

Spoiler
    Show

If one were on drugs.

24. - Top - End - #174

Spoiler: Region Write-up (Thanks Murgen!)
    Show

The Frozen Sky
    Region 297
    Population: 683,000
    Show

The Frozen Sky is the name given to the mountainous region along the border with the polar regions to the north. A small area of heavily forested tundra exists in the south west corner of the land. The rest is covered by the Frozen Sky glacier. The glacier itself covers the mountaintops, and fills the valleys to a depth of 7-8 sound, in some locations even double that. It is a vast sheet wall of slightly blue-tinted ice. During the numerous sunny days, it is often difficult to see where the land ends, and the pale blue sky starts, hence the name of the region. The ice itself fractures and reflects the light deep within itself, making a deep chasm appear only modest depth.
    Life is sparse along the glacier. A unique species of Viridian moss grows in sheltered bands. Something within the moss prevents it from freezing, even in the depths of winter. Ice-cutter ants carve the glacier and make their nests, feasting on the moss. Some birds nest here, feeding on the ants, and ant-badgers roam far and wide to find nests to unearth and consume.
    The land is inhospitable to cross. Strong cold winds and high-elevation lack of breathable air are constant threats. Avalanches and trap-crevisses are constant threats. Despite this, hardy adventurers often make their way across the glaciers. A wide range of valuable, blue-hued gemstones can be found within the ice.
    There is another part of the Frozen Sky, one most travelers do not see. Buried under the glacier, dozens of streams and rivers flow, carrying melt-water southward. Ages of slow undermining by the streams have created a vast network of channels, caves, and lakes. Life giving nutirents from the melting ice above and the mountains below feed a wide variety of aquatic life- algea, krill, fish, crabs, and the like. A small species of hammerhead shark has adapted to the rivers. Seldom growing longer than a man’s arm, they feed on the crabs within the streams.

Spoiler: people, society, & government
    Show

There are two groups of people living in the Frozen Sky. The first are a group of humans. They are settled in a large stronghold, Freetown, in the Southwest of the land. It is a frontier mining town catering to the brave souls who venture onto the glacier for the gems. It is strongly fortified against both the elements and the cougar and bear prevalent in the region. It’s leader controls the logging guild, which in turn controls all the building materials and heating fuel for the entire town. The remainder of the town are hunters, trappers, fisher-folk and farmers. Gem hunters come in from the wastes to trade their hard-won gems for deer-hide and mink or hare-fur lined clothing as well as moose-jerky rations. Drinking and gambling is common, and fights even more so. .
    The second, larger group, are a peculiar species of Drimma. They are a stout and hardy people with broad shoulders and thick frames. Like their southern cousins, they are remarkably hirsute and well insulated from the cold. They tend to wear more clothing than those in the south. The drimma are tireless workers, able to labour for hours under the harshest conditions and walk for days on end without rest. As hardy in mind as they are in body, the average drimma is disciplined and intently focused on the job at hand, leading other races to often see them as dour or even humourless, but in private they are every bit as passionate and expressive as any human.
    These Drimma inhabit the caverns, ice-cathedrals, and causeways deep below the ice. Subsiting on a diet drawn from the waterways, their skin has a permanent blue hue and their hair generally white.
    Relationships between the two groups are cordial, but cool. Miners resent the drimma, claiming they defend the best gem sites with deadfalls and avalanche. The drimma resent the miners for their rough and damaging digging which causes damage to the depths below.
    Spoiler: Sky Drimma
    Show

Show

Export: GOOD True Ice {Magic}
    Import: barley {grain}
    One of the most sacred treasures of the Sky-Drimma are the small, round mystical stones. Called True Ice, it has the ability to moderate temperatures. Water with a fragment of true ice will never freeze. Heated water rapidly cools to near, but not quite, freezing. Each infant drimma is gifted with a small stone to protect them from the bitter cold all around their domain. They never feer freezing to death or frostbite while they have their shard.
    The human miners value it as well. It does not work as well on humans, who may suffer frostbite to the extremities. But it will keep them alive on the freezing glacial surface.
    True Ice stones are only found in the subterranean glacial lakes. They are almost exclusively collected by the Sky Drimma.

The rough and tumble miners and drimma crave beer and hot soups, so importing enough barley is important. It is the preferred flavor of the region.
    Spoiler: true ice
    Show

Show

The area has no formal religion. Most treat the glacier itself with superstition, cursing or blessing “her” providence as circumstances suggest.
    Approved! I like the pictures too, a nice touch.

Quote Originally Posted by Kythia View Post
    Sorry to anyone whose been waiting on stuff from me. Been a busy week. Should be caught up soon so if there's anything people need from me that they haven't had by the weekend then please could you prod me about it. I'll've forgotten.

ETA: Zayuz - just noticed that the map shows region 86 as belonging to me - it doesn't, Avonlea took it last turn.
    My bad! Thanks for pointing it out, I`ll have it fixed for next round opener.

25. - Top - End - #175
    Titan in the Playground

The last of the pending region write-ups:

Spoiler: Region 189, Czerwons
    Show

Czerwons
    Region 189
    Population: 602,000

Spoiler: Summary
    Show
    Region: 189
    Terrain: Open plains, forests
    People: Human
    Resource: Wood (minor)
    Requirement: Mounts
    Religion: Doctrine of Nine Candles (Majority)

Show
    Czerwons is the poorest and least densely-populated of the founding Jade Coalition regions. Once covered in lush woodland, the region began to be deforested in antiquity, a process accelerated under the old Empire. Now its territory is largely flat and open, an expanse which stretches away into tundra in the north, the remaining woodland concentrated in the south with only a few remaining patches throughout the rest of it.

The effective capital is Belkowin, roughly in the middle of the region and once the hub of the logging trade for the region which gradually grew into an administrative centre. These days however it is far from the remaining forests, and a shortage of investment and trade has led it to become shabby and run-down. A quarter of the town destroyed by fire some years ago has never been properly rebuilt and has become a shanty town, inhabited by the most poor and desperate with nowhere else to go.

Show
    The people of Czerwons are, like most Jade Coalition peoples, human, though somewhat shorter and more slender than some of those to the south. They are generally pale, and red hair is common. They are generally a friendly and hospitable people, although cynics have suggested it is because their region’s poverty inhibits them from behaving any other way.

Of all the founding Jade Coalition regions (Zol, Fiolty, Niebisk, Bialy and Czerwons) Czerwons is the least united culturally, although it formed an identity of its own within the empire and coalition which it has maintained during its period of independence. Still though there is much variation within the region. Only around Belkowin is the writ of the governor reliably enforced. Further afield soldiers of the authorities are more likely to be mercenaries, no matter whose banner they carry, and corruption is more rife. The northern border region is largely lawless, as local landowners try to maintain their properties against northern raiders and each other.

The southern part of the region along the coast is the most prosperous, where there are remaining forests and the ports to ship timber southwards to the rest of the Jade regions. The lords and merchants here pay only lip service to the governor in Belkowin and prefer to run their own affairs - and settle their own disputes. To the dismay of many, there is talk of moving the governor’s office southwards to enable more direct control over this part of the region.

Show
    Czerwons’ principal export is still its timber. The trade is nowhere near as lucrative as it once was, with the destruction of many of the forests, but it remains the primary means of wealth creation.

The region, and the governor in particular, has a desire for horses and other mounts, in order to establish and maintain communication between the disparate parts of the region.

Show
    The majority of the people in this region follow the Doctrine of Nine Candles. There is a medley of smaller religious groups, following a variety of native pagan beliefs and foreign cults, but none have any significant influence at a governmental level.

And with that finally polished off, I shall announce my retirement from the game. I'll have to liaise with Zayuz and my federation partners on what happens to my regions: it is partly up to Pepper and Blade, and we've talked about it a bit, but there are probably some practical issues that need sorting out.

I apologise in advance to whoever takes over the trade table: I'm happy to talk my successor through the relevant table and how I've been running that if necessary.

Let me know if there's ever an E3; I might be interested in joining. I will still be around the forums and on Skype so I'm sure I'll see many of you around. For now, sayonara.
    GITP Blood Bowl Manager Cup
    Red Sabres - Season I Cup Champions, two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Anlec Razors - Two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Bad Badenhof Bats - Season VII Cup Champions
    League Wiki

Spoiler: Previous Avatars
    Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

26. - Top - End - #176
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aedilred View Post
    The last of the pending region write-ups:

Spoiler: Region 189, Czerwons
    Show

Czerwons
    Region 189

Spoiler: Summary
    Show
    Region: 189
    Terrain: Open plains, forests
    People: Human
    Resource: Wood (minor)
    Requirement: Mounts
    Religion: Doctrine of Nine Candles (Majority)

Show
    Czerwons is the poorest and least densely-populated of the founding Jade Coalition regions. Once covered in lush woodland, the region began to be deforested in antiquity, a process accelerated under the old Empire. Now its territory is largely flat and open, an expanse which stretches away into tundra in the north, the remaining woodland concentrated in the south with only a few remaining patches throughout the rest of it.

The effective capital is Belkowin, roughly in the middle of the region and once the hub of the logging trade for the region which gradually grew into an administrative centre. These days however it is far from the remaining forests, and a shortage of investment and trade has led it to become shabby and run-down. A quarter of the town destroyed by fire some years ago has never been properly rebuilt and has become a shanty town, inhabited by the most poor and desperate with nowhere else to go.

Show
    The people of Czerwons are, like most Jade Coalition peoples, human, though somewhat shorter and more slender than some of those to the south. They are generally pale, and red hair is common. They are generally a friendly and hospitable people, although cynics have suggested it is because their region’s poverty inhibits them from behaving any other way.

Of all the founding Jade Coalition regions (Zol, Fiolty, Niebisk, Bialy and Czerwons) Czerwons is the least united culturally, although it formed an identity of its own within the empire and coalition which it has maintained during its period of independence. Still though there is much variation within the region. Only around Belkowin is the writ of the governor reliably enforced. Further afield soldiers of the authorities are more likely to be mercenaries, no matter whose banner they carry, and corruption is more rife. The northern border region is largely lawless, as local landowners try to maintain their properties against northern raiders and each other.

The southern part of the region along the coast is the most prosperous, where there are remaining forests and the ports to ship timber southwards to the rest of the Jade regions. The lords and merchants here pay only lip service to the governor in Belkowin and prefer to run their own affairs - and settle their own disputes. To the dismay of many, there is talk of moving the governor’s office southwards to enable more direct control over this part of the region.

Show
    Czerwons’ principal export is still its timber. The trade is nowhere near as lucrative as it once was, with the destruction of many of the forests, but it remains the primary means of wealth creation.

The region, and the governor in particular, has a desire for horses and other mounts, in order to establish and maintain communication between the disparate parts of the region.

Show
    The majority of the people in this region follow the Doctrine of Nine Candles. There is a medley of smaller religious groups, following a variety of native pagan beliefs and foreign cults, but none have any significant influence at a governmental level.

And with that finally polished off, I shall announce my retirement from the game. I'll have to liaise with Zayuz and my federation partners on what happens to my regions: it is partly up to Pepper and Blade, and we've talked about it a bit, but there are probably some practical issues that need sorting out.

I apologise in advance to whoever takes over the trade table: I'm happy to talk my successor through the relevant table and how I've been running that if necessary.

Let me know if there's ever an E3; I might be interested in joining. I will still be around the forums and on Skype so I'm sure I'll see many of you around. For now, sayonara.
    I am very sorry to see you go, Aedilred. For the year I've been here, you have always been good to answer my questions, and your voice has become familiar to me though Pepper's podcasts. You will be dearly missed.
    God, get it together Mary.
    Thank you to AsteriskAmp for the lovely avatar!

27. - Top - End - #177
    Orc in the Playground

Man, that sucks. I've always appreciated you, Aed, as a tempered voice of reason in the game. Your departure makes me very sad...
    People are losing the spirit of the Ides of March. It's not just about stabbing. It's about coming together to stab. In groups.

smuchmuch made my avatar.
    I played the Nemerians in Empire2!

28. - Top - End - #178
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Aed, you were a staple of the game pretty much since when you joined in E1, and while our IC interactions were negative due largely to my playing [thatwhichshouldnotbenamed] in E1 and an escalating war of ignorance during one event in E2 you'll definitely be missed.

29. - Top - End - #179

PirateWench

Sorry to see you go, Aed. You've been a great help on rules queries and it was always appreciated.

30. - Top - End - #180
    Titan in the Playground

Bye Aed. We idn't always get along (especially not IC) but you were a damn good player and GM. You'll be missed.

Extended Sig