New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Difficulty Class Chart

I have a question for a DM, from a newbie DM. My question is would this be considered a Homebrew? I am working on a Difficultly Class Chart for D&D 3.5e. In Photoshop, I have made a .psd file of the chart on page (31) in the DMG book. I would like to expand the list with more examples to help me remember all the ability, skill, and saving throws checks. That I might run into, with all the other DM notes from adventures. That I am going to include in the game. I would like to have a couple of pages or so with the information, to include it with my DM screen print-outs. If any body else has info on this. I would like to hear about it. Please weigh in.

Sir Mathis Kyngston

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Default Re: Difficulty Class Chart

As far as I can see it would only be homebrew if you included examples of things you'd made up yourself (save DCs against the abilities of homebrewed monsters for example). If you're only including examples from the official books, it's just a summary, not a homebrew.

I would also say: you'll have to make things up at some point in your career as DM, since the books can't possibly cover every situation, so don't worry too much about whether something "is homebrew" or not, almost all games eventually contain some elements not from published sources.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

Thanks so much for the explanation. I wasn't sure if working from the book was creative common are not. That's what I needed to know. I see now why there are so many charts, because DM's working with a lot of information to make a campaign work. It's amazing that one person runs the game. When the load of material is much more than two Dungeon Masters and one campaign.

Sir Mathis Kyngston

4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground

Since it's only DCs, you should be free to post the completed source on Giantitp if you'd like, as well.
    Homebrew
    Please feel free to PM me any thoughts on my homebrew (or comment in the thread if it's not too old).

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by sir_kyngston View Post
    Thanks so much for the explanation. I wasn't sure if working from the book was creative common are not.
    Sorry, were you asking what the legal position is with making this chart?

If so, if it's only for your own use there are no legal issues. If it only contains material that's covered by the Open Gaming License (ie, material that appears in the SRD) you should be fine to share it online also if you're so inclined.