New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Bugbear in the Playground

PirateGuy

Default Re: Lemmy's Custom Weapon Generation System

Quote Originally Posted by Lemmy View Post
    I don't know... Ignoring Damage Reduction is pretty good. I might reduce Elemental Damage's cost to 0 cp and raise solid energy's to 2 cp.

By the way is "force" considered elemental damage? Because that'd be a tad overpowered. I think I'll limit it to acid, cold, electricity, fire and sonic. Also, I'd say lightsaber damage is closer to Fire damage... And it probably doesn't have the "solid energy" modification (very few things can block a lightsaber).

I'd probably give lightsabers elemental damage (fire) (2 cp), concealable (0*), retractable (1*), improved damage die (2 cp) and endless charge (1 cp).
    Ignoring DR is based on the creature you are fighting, not all elemental damage just bypasses all DR.
    Yea i think i was going for sonic or something else similarly ''Pure energy'' because the sabers might cut through most stuff, its not like its just a handle with a flamethrower on it. I gave it solid energy because well... you can bash em into eachother and stuff. most sharp items cut through stuff, doesnt mean they arent solid. :P
    But your way works as well i guess.

Quote Originally Posted by noob View Post
    Force is not elemental damage just like city damage is not elemental damage.
    Unless you want people to use a city sword and kill people with an obscure damage nobody knows.
    Calm down, i meant something energy like, no need to bring throwing star shaped cities into this :P
    Quote Originally Posted by Orderic View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by swaoeaeieu
    Or maybe, i dont know... adoption?
    Don't be ridiculous. We need those orphans...
    If at any point you notice mistakes in my English, please let me know, I am always looking to improve.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Ettin in the Playground

Well I wonder how do I make a weapon which can have its projectiles stopped by people without any feat.
    (You know for doing star wars like L.A.Z.E.R rifles)

3. - Top - End - #153

PirateGuy

Well I wonder how do I make a weapon which can have its projectiles stopped by people without any feat.
    (You know for doing star wars like L.A.Z.E.R rifles)
    i do not understand the question, could you clarify?
    If at any point you notice mistakes in my English, please let me know, I am always looking to improve.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Ettin in the Playground

I want to do a lazer rifle that can have its projectiles intercepted by people who do not have the deflect arrows feat.

5. - Top - End - #155

PirateGuy

Well in 3.5/pathfinder deflecting attacks is mainly the business of AC isnt it? So maybe a ranged weapon with elemental damage that has a big penalty on attack rolls so everyones armor just deflects it?

Or make it do nonlethal damge or something. But mostly deflecting oprojectiles is up to the target, not the weapon being used to fire with.

Also also, why would you want a weapon any fool can deflect? :P

6. - Top - End - #156
    Ettin in the Playground

Because that is how it works in star wars.
    And I have spotted no straight "reduce attack throw" stuff in lemmy homebrew.

7. - Top - End - #157

PirateGuy

i dont think any untrained dude in starwars can jus deflect laser rifles. i think that more a jedi+lightsaber thing.

things like burst fire and the shotgun type mod inflict a slight penaltie, and you can always rule your own hit penalty.

8. - Top - End - #158
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Swaoeaeieu View Post
    Ignoring DR is based on the creature you are fighting, not all elemental damage just bypasses all DR.
    IIRC, DR only applies to physical damage, not energy attacks... Well, unless you're calling Energy Resistance DR, like 5e does.

Yea i think i was going for sonic or something else similarly ''Pure energy'' because the sabers might cut through most stuff, its not like its just a handle with a flamethrower on it. I gave it solid energy because well... you can bash em into each other and stuff. most sharp items cut through stuff, doesnt mean they arent solid. :P
    But your way works as well i guess.
    Yeah, but while lightsabers block each other, they just burn through most stuff. I know it's not a torch, but D&D doesn't a very accurate mode for "superheated plasma" or whatever it is that lightsabers generate...
    Homebrew Stuff:

9. - Top - End - #159

PirateGuy

IIRC, DR only applies to physical damage, not energy attacks... Well, unless you're calling Energy Resistance DR, like 5e does.

Yeah, but while lightsabers block each other, they just burn through most stuff. I know it's not a torch, but D&D doesn't a very accurate mode for "superheated plasma" or whatever it is that lightsabers generate...
    oh man, i asstound myself by how little i know sometimes. you are correct about the DR.
    But cutting through stuff because of being super hot (or insanely sharp) doesnt mean its intangible. You could even see it as a solid bar of super heated plasma. They way its swung and interacts with object does make it look like it comes into contact with the word, not that it just melts whatever it swings by.

But debating lightsaber physics aint why we are here right? its to test the weapon system :P
    so what is up next for this project? Need more example weapons? Want help formulating new rules?

10. - Top - End - #160
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

I want to do a lazer rifle that can have its projectiles intercepted by people who do not have the deflect arrows feat.
    Heh... Lazer rifle...

That typo always amuses me. Why? Because in Portuguese, "lazer means something like "recreation". So it's like you want a gun that makes its target have a fun time!

In any case, I don't have any modification or flaw that makes the projectile that slow... I suppose I could add a flaw that simply imposes a penalty to attack rolls, but that'd be boring.
    Last edited by Lemmy; 2017-04-13 at 06:45 AM.
    Homebrew Stuff:

11. - Top - End - #161
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

oh man, i asstound myself by how little i know sometimes. you are correct about the DR.
    But cutting through stuff because of being super hot (or insanely sharp) doesnt mean its intangible. You could even see it as a solid bar of super heated plasma. They way its swung and interacts with object does make it look like it comes into contact with the word, not that it just melts whatever it swings by.

But debating lightsaber physics aint why we are here right? its to test the weapon system :P
    There's a difference between targeting touch AC and being intangible. All that targeting touch AC means is that whatever is attacking you only has to touch to affect you (or that it's so good at going through armor that it simply ignores it), not that it's intangible. Acid usually targets touch AC, but it's definitely not intangible.

(also, if it's plasma, it's not solid. But I get what you meant).

so what is up next for this project? Need more example weapons? Want help formulating new rules?
    That's a good question...

I'm always tinkering around with new additions... I have a few new modifications in the draft document, but while I have a good general idea of what I want them to do, I'm still working on their wording. I also have a few general ideas for new materials and ammo... But haven't fleshed out more than a couple bullet points on what each does.

I wanted to add a "Weapon Length" variant rule, and maybe a few homebrew archetypes for Fighters, Paladins and Rangers... But these things take a lot of work, so I'll just try to finish the ammo and materials chapter first, then I'll (gradually) add more chapters.

I have a lot of fun creating and updating these rules. It's kinda of a hobby within a hobby at this point. Usually, I see a cool idea somewhere and think of ways to add it to the rules.
    Last edited by Lemmy; 2017-04-13 at 07:03 AM.
    Homebrew Stuff:

12. - Top - End - #162
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Hello, everyone! Here is the draft for a few new modifications and flaws based on your feedback (and a couple that were inspired by Seerow's work. Thank you, Seerow ):

Spoiler: Mods
    Show
    Arc: Attacks made with this bypass up to 2 points of cover bonus to AC.
    Special: This property may be added twice, allowing a total of up to 4 points of cover bonus to be ignored.
    Requirements: Ranged weapon or Throw modification. Craft Points: 2

Blaster: A weapon with this modification releases extra kinetic force at the moment of impact by blasting explosive ammo. On a successful hit, the wielder can activate this modification as a free action. This cause the attack to deal 2d6 of force damage in addition to its normal damage. This does not deplete the weapon’s normal ammo reserves (if any). Instead, the weapon gains a separate ammo reserve (capacity of 1) that is specifically and solely depleted when this modification is activated. Reloading this modification requires an standard action.
    Special: When the Improved Reload Speed or Improved Ammo Capacity modification are added to a weapon with the Blaster modification, they apply to either the base weapon or to the Blaster modification. Not both.
    Requirements: None. Craft Points: 2

Ricochet: If a proficient user manages to hit their target, the weapon ricochets to an adjacent target. The user immediately makes a second attack roll at the same bonus -4 for this attack. Attacks may ricochet only once.
    Requirements: Ranged weapon or Throw modification. Craft Points: 3

Refilling: This weapons automatically refills its ammo and/or charges/fuel units (specified when the modification is added). The rate of recovery is determined by the weapon’s total ammo capacity and by the craft points spent in this modification.

Craft Point Cost - Ammo/Charge Recovery Rate:

1 cp - 1 per hour
    2 cp - 1 every 10 minutes
    3 cp - 1 per minute
    4 cp - 1 per round

Special: If the weapon has an ammo capacity of 25 or higher, the regeneration increases to 5 per cycle. If the capacity is 100 or higher, it increases again to 10 per cycle.
    Requirements: Weapon must use ammo and/or fuel/charges. Craft Points: 1 to 4 cp (read text)

Spoiler: Flaws
    Show

Impractical Reload: This weapon requires a specialized facility or heavy equipment to be reload. The specifics vary from weapon to weapon, but either way, reloading a weapon with this flaw takes no less than 1 hour. This flaw’s Craft Point Value varies based on the difficulty of the reload procedure.
    - If the equipment necessary for the reload procedure can be reasonably transported by a 4-person vehicle, this flaw is worth 1 cp.
    - If the equipment necessary for the reload procedure requires a specialized facility and/or cannot be reasonably moved without major effort and large means of transportation, like a ship this flaw is worth 3 cp.
    Special: A weapon with this flaw cannot take the Improved Reload Speed modification or the Reduced Reload Speed flaw.
    Prerequisite: None. Craft Points Value: 1 or 3.

Tell me what you think because I'm not very confident in my design... :P
    Last edited by Lemmy; 2017-04-16 at 11:04 AM.
    Homebrew Stuff:

13. - Top - End - #163
    Troll in the Playground

is blaster can be used to build squals revolver or you gonna make different mod for it
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Shadow View Post
    Threads are like cats. They go where they want, and never listen to what you want them to do.

14. - Top - End - #164
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by khadgar567 View Post
    is blaster can be used to build squals revolver or you gonna make different mod for it
    I think blaster works fine... Then again, I don't remember much about Squall, since FF8 is probably my least favorite FF game.
    Homebrew Stuff:

15. - Top - End - #165
    Troll in the Playground

I think blaster works fine... Then again, I don't remember much about Squall, since FF8 is probably my least favorite FF game.
    squalls fighting style focuses on melee focus gun blade where he fires round in to blade making it to vibrate and deal more damage. vibrating blade deals more damage.
    Threads are like cats. They go where they want, and never listen to what you want them to do.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

squalls fighting style focuses on melee focus gun blade where he fires round in to blade making it to vibrate and deal more damage. vibrating blade deals more damage.
    Yeah... I remember him "firing" his blade, but not the details of how it worked.

There's an upcoming "Booster" modification that enhances one aspect of the weapon for a certain time, kinda like a self-buffing weapon. So that could work.
    Last edited by Lemmy; 2017-04-16 at 12:19 PM.
    Homebrew Stuff:

17. - Top - End - #167
    Troll in the Playground

Yeah... I remember him "firing" his blade, but not the details of how it worked.

There's an upcoming "Booster" modification that enhances one aspect of the weapon for a certain time, kinda like a self-buffing weapon. So that could work.
    I think booster and blaster in same build may be bit to powerful 3d6 damage can be multiplied by crit feels kinda to good to be true for any melee.

18. - Top - End - #168
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

I think booster and blaster in same build may be bit to powerful 3d6 damage can be multiplied by crit feels kinda to good to be true for any melee.
    That's true... Although "Booster" isn't necessarily about boosting damage. The idea is that it can be used to boost the weapons range, accuracy, cadence, etc...

Maybe it could provide a bonus to attack rolls... Or temporarily give the weapon a 1 cp modification. It's a fun idea, but I don't know how to implement it yet.

There's also a cooldown flaw in the works, but I'm not sure how often the cooldown should be necessary... After a set number of attacks? After a number of rounds in action? Once ammo is depleted? A combination of those? Something else entirely? Right now, I really don't know.
    Homebrew Stuff:

19. - Top - End - #169

PirateGuy

Blaster: A weapon with this modification releases extra kinetic force at the moment of impact by blasting explosive ammo. On a successful hit, the wielder can activate this modification as a free action. This cause the attack to deal 2d6 of force damage in addition to its normal damage. This does not deplete the weapon’s normal ammo reserves (if any). Instead, the weapon gains a separate ammo reserve (capacity of 1) that is specifically and solely depleted when this modification is activated. Reloading this modification requires an standard action.
    Special: When the Improved Reload Speed or Improved Ammo Capacity modification are added to a weapon with the Blaster modification, they apply to either the base weapon or to the Blaster modification. Not both.
    Maybe under the special header you could specify that adding blaster to a melee weapon does not make it viable for other ranged weapon upgrades. Just to make the language as safe as possible. Maybe instead of force damage you can choose damage types (slashing, piercing, bludgeoning or force) to give some flavour options.

Ricochet: If a proficient user manages to hit their target, the weapon ricochets to an adjacent target. The user immediately makes a second attack roll at the same bonus -4 for this attack. Attacks may ricochet only once.
    Needs a ruling on how far away the second target needs to be. Also, this is very powerfull of ranged cahracters, but for 3 points it might even out.

Refilling: This weapons automatically refills its ammo and/or charges/fuel units (specified when the modification is added). The rate of recovery is determined by the weapon’s total ammo capacity and by the craft points spent in this modification.

Craft Point Cost - Ammo/Charge Recovery Rate:

1 cp - 1 per hour
    3 cp - 1 per minute
    4 cp - 1 per round

Special: If the weapon has an ammo capacity of 25 or higher, the regeneration increases to 5 per cycle. If the capacity is 100 or higher, it increases again to 10 per cycle.
    Requirements: Weapon must use ammo and/or fuel/charges. Craft Points: 1 to 4 cp (read text)
    generating your own ammo? that must be magic right? might need some language to specify that.

Impractical Reload: This weapon requires a specialized facility or heavy equipment to be reload. The specifics vary from weapon to weapon, but either way, reloading a weapon with this flaw takes no less than 1 hour. This flaw’s Craft Point Value varies based on the difficulty of the reload procedure.
    - If the equipment necessary for the reload procedure can be reasonably transported by a 4-person vehicle, this flaw is worth 1 cp.
    - If the equipment necessary for the reload procedure requires a specialized facility and/or cannot be reasonably moved without major effort and large means of transportation, like a ship this flaw is worth 3 cp.
    Special: A weapon with this flaw cannot take the Improved Reload Speed modification or the Reduced Reload Speed flaw.
    Prerequisite: None. Craft Points Value: 1 or 3.Tell me what you think because I'm not very confident in my design... :P
    The normal slower reload flaw is one cp. making your reload an ENTIRE HOUR is also just one? seems a little unfair :P

but good addition, nice to see more coming :D

20. - Top - End - #170
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Maybe under the special header you could specify that adding blaster to a melee weapon does not make it viable for other ranged weapon upgrades. Just to make the language as safe as possible. Maybe instead of force damage you can choose damage types (slashing, piercing, bludgeoning or force) to give some flavour options.
    Hmm... That's a good idea. Although if people want to treat their melee weapons as ranged weapons with 0 range... I don't see what benefit that could have.

Needs a ruling on how far away the second target needs to be. Also, this is very powerfull of ranged cahracters, but for 3 points it might even out.
    True. I'm going with 30 ft or the weapon's range, whichever is shorter.

generating your own ammo? that must be magic right? might need some language to specify that.
    Well... The visual I had in mind was a futuristic weapon with recharging batteries and/or cooldown periods, like in the original Mass Effect game. This project really went way beyond its original "medieval/renaissance weapons only" idea. And I'm glad it did.

The normal slower reload flaw is one cp. making your reload an ENTIRE HOUR is also just one? seems a little unfair :P
    Indeed. I'll adjust it. On another note, since such a cumbersome reloading system wouldn't make any sense for light, portable weapons... I might compensate for it with an increase in range and damage... Hmmm... That's a starting point for siege weapons right there!

but good addition, nice to see more coming :D
    Haha... Thanks. Always glad to see other players enjoying this project. Honestly, I'm pretty much done with modifications and flaws, but sometimes I have a good idea or (more often) hear a good suggestion and decide to add it to the list.
    Homebrew Stuff:

21. - Top - End - #171

PirateGuy

Hmm... That's a good idea. Although if people want to treat their melee weapons as ranged weapons with 0 range... I don't see what benefit that could have.
    hitting multiple people with a melee weapon with ricochet on it. Adding specialiced ammo. Countless ranged weapon enchantments. Rapid fire, burst fire. those in combination with other stuff that allready makes melee better then ranged combat. So while giving ranged some nice toys to play with is awsome, giving those same toys to melee might cause trouble.

True. I'm going with 30 ft or the weapon's range, whichever is shorter.
    sounds good.

Well... The visual I had in mind was a futuristic weapon with recharging batteries and/or cooldown periods, like in the original Mass Effect game. This project really went way beyond its original "medieval/renaissance weapons only" idea. And I'm glad it did.
    in that case, its time to bust out the magitech/high tech warning :P

Indeed. I'll adjust it. On another note, since such a cumbersome reloading system wouldn't make any sense for light, portable weapons... I might compensate for it with an increase in range and damage... Hmmm... That's a starting point for siege weapons right there!
    restrict it to non light weapons at the least. How do siege weapons work in this system anyway? arent they usually just large or bigger versions of regular stuff?

22. - Top - End - #172
    Orc in the Playground

Overall, this is a great resource! I would include a way to increase the DC of an item created with these rules to increase the number of Creation Points that can be applied to an item. I'd also add further feats or add the number of times you can take Extraordinary Smith that stack.

Warrior Smith is a feat that should have been officially implemented years ago! That would be AMAZING for Fighters that want to be smiths as part of their background or for story purposes!

The additional Special Materials is very nice to see. I feel there's not enough Special Materials out there. Or templates to add to items. Or classes that specialize in crafting, and especially those that specialize in mundane, non-magical bonuses. There's a few classes I've come across that are almost exclusively 2nd or 3rd party but there's virtually nothing officially that comes close to those.

I'd suggest that something like "laminated materials" as a template that combines the properties of 2 or more materials, that has an average hardness of the materials combined, and either 2 or 3 times the hardness in HP/inch of thickness, using the best material. This would allow the extremely skilled smith to make an item (with Herculean effort) to laminate 4 materials together that could bypass all alignments for example. Or overcome the damage reduction of different materials. Though, since it's an average hardness for the new material, you would not be able to have a hardness greater than 20 unless there's multiple materials that are in it that would allow the average to be 20 or greater and then it could "bypass damage reduction as adamantine" or the like.

Adding mundane bonuses to mundane items that increase the cost and difficulty of crafting and therefore requiring more ranks in Craft skills should be encouraged... not penalized.

23. - Top - End - #173
    Troll in the Playground

laminated materials are good idea and also gives more options

24. - Top - End - #174
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by AOKost View Post
    Overall, this is a great resource! I would include a way to increase the DC of an item created with these rules to increase the number of Creation Points that can be applied to an item. I'd also add further feats or add the number of times you can take Extraordinary Smith that stack.
    Thank you! I'm glad you like it! I hope it brings at least as much fun to you as it does to me. You're certainly right about the DC for weapon crafting... I actually completely forgot about adding them...

Warrior Smith is a feat that should have been officially implemented years ago! That would be AMAZING for Fighters that want to be smiths as part of their background or for story purposes!
    Haha. Thanks. I'm particularly proud of that one. It's the first feat that came to my mind when I started working on this project, and the main reason why I wanted a feat session in the homebrew. It always irked me that the best people at crafting and upgrading weapons were Wizards, not Fighters or any other martial class... And when Paizo published their crafting "option" for non-casters, it felt like a big middle finger to players... Spend two feats for the benefit of half of one... It doesn't even does anything by itself!

Ugh... That feat gives me an ulcer!

The additional Special Materials is very nice to see. I feel there's not enough Special Materials out there. Or templates to add to items. Or classes that specialize in crafting, and especially those that specialize in mundane, non-magical bonuses. There's a few classes I've come across that are almost exclusively 2nd or 3rd party but there's virtually nothing officially that comes close to those.

I'd suggest that something like "laminated materials" as a template that combines the properties of 2 or more materials, that has an average hardness of the materials combined, and either 2 or 3 times the hardness in HP/inch of thickness, using the best material. This would allow the extremely skilled smith to make an item (with Herculean effort) to laminate 4 materials together that could bypass all alignments for example. Or overcome the damage reduction of different materials. Though, since it's an average hardness for the new material, you would not be able to have a hardness greater than 20 unless there's multiple materials that are in it that would allow the average to be 20 or greater and then it could "bypass damage reduction as adamantine" or the like.

Adding mundane bonuses to mundane items that increase the cost and difficulty of crafting and therefore requiring more ranks in Craft skills should be encouraged... not penalized.
    laminated materials are good idea and also gives more options
    Yes, I'm definitely adding more materials in the near future... Right now, I have drafts for one that disrupts magic, one that affects incorporeal creatures, one that absorbs life-force and one that repels undead... The problem is fine-tuning their properties to make them useful, interesting and balanced.

I like the idea of mixing materials... But balancing it is also difficult. I'll certainly add it to my draft document, but first, I have to add at least a few more materials... Haha.

Thank you for your feedback. I hope this humble project of mine can increase your role-playing fun!
    Last edited by Lemmy; 2017-04-19 at 09:40 AM.
    Homebrew Stuff:

25. - Top - End - #175
    Orc in the Playground

Yes, I'm definitely adding more materials in the near future... Right now, I have drafts for one that disrupts magic, one that affects incorporeal creatures, one that absorbs life-force and one that repels undead... The problem is fine-tuning their properties to make them useful, interesting and balanced.

I like the idea of mixing materials... But balancing it is also difficult. I'll certainly add it to my draft document, but first, I have to add at least a few more materials... Haha.
    I've greatly enjoyed using your reference materials! I love imagining all the possibilities that future and past characters could use!

A suggestion on figuring out the DCs for Lamination, maybe use the materials Hardness. For example: A character is forging Cold Iron to Adamantium. Being a Masterwork material after it's complete (before further forging into a finished product), it requires a minimum of 20 on a Craft check. Adamantiums hardness is already 20, so we use half the hardness (or all of it?) of Cold Iron (5 for half or 10) to the new DC of 25 - 30. Since Cold Iron is supposed to be very hard to work because of the low temps, I'd side on the more difficult side. There would also be the additional material cost of the Adamantium and Cold Iron for the process before a forgable billet is ready for the next smith to turn into an item. The billet should have a hadness that bypasses Adamantium, and Cold Iron, but it would really have a hardness 18 (the hardest material, -2 per material laminated)...

Thoughts?

26. - Top - End - #176
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

I've greatly enjoyed using your reference materials! I love imagining all the possibilities that future and past characters could use!
    Awesome! All I want with this project is give players (including myself ) more ways to have fun!

A suggestion on figuring out the DCs for Lamination, maybe use the materials Hardness. For example: A character is forging Cold Iron to Adamantium. Being a Masterwork material after it's complete (before further forging into a finished product), it requires a minimum of 20 on a Craft check. Adamantiums hardness is already 20, so we use half the hardness (or all of it?) of Cold Iron (5 for half or 10) to the new DC of 25 - 30. Since Cold Iron is supposed to be very hard to work because of the low temps, I'd side on the more difficult side. There would also be the additional material cost of the Adamantium and Cold Iron for the process before a forgable billet is ready for the next smith to turn into an item. The billet should have a hadness that bypasses Adamantium, and Cold Iron, but it would really have a hardness 18 (the hardest material, -2 per material laminated)...

Thoughts?
    Hmmm... That's a possibility. Although I don't think Hardness should be the only component of the increase in difficulty... For example... Lacus and Saceria (and Licitia and Turbatium) should be really freaking difficult to combine. A few other combinations would be just pointless (mithral and gravatus, for example).

Now that I think about it... It's actually kinda embarrassing that my homebrew made for creating new weapons has no rules for crafting weapons!
    Homebrew Stuff:

27. - Top - End - #177
    Ettin in the Playground

There is already crafting rules in pathfinder and you gave the costs of the weapons so we can apply the crafting rules for creating those items.

28. - Top - End - #178
    Orc in the Playground

Awesome! All I want with this project is give players (including myself ) more ways to have fun!

Hmmm... That's a possibility. Although I don't think Hardness should be the only component of the increase in difficulty... For example... Lacus and Saceria (and Licitia and Turbatium) should be really freaking difficult to combine. A few other combinations would be just pointless (mithral and gravatus, for example).

Now that I think about it... It's actually kinda embarrassing that my homebrew made for creating new weapons has no rules for crafting weapons!
    While I completely agree that you shouldn't allow all combinations of materials, you could still allow some of Mithrals properties to combine with Gravatus... The weight would be reduced, and the improvements it would otherwise normally apply, the object would weigh 2/3rds of what it normally would, but is easier to use... Now if you had 6 metals (and only metals unless you're making a laminated billet to make spikes to make a spiked club), the weight would average out. You'd get the best of the material benefits, with a HUGE DC and cost (for materials, and the smith able to successfully craft).

A slight way I've gotten around this is to come up with a homebrew material that's similar to something I read about in the series Wheel of Time, and that's Heartstone. I've intentionally modified it from the written version so that through a ritual that includes transmutation magic and alchemy, that allows the properties of one Special Material to be invested permanently into an equal volume of Heartstone, and the Special Material that was used in the ritual becomes inert iron or worthless dust. An unlimited number of properties can be incorporated into Heartstone, with an increasing difficulty for every Material invested. A further property is that any HP damage done to the item, if it's not destroyed, then the next round it's fully repaired, and 1/2 of the HP damage it had taken is turned into Hardness, and the item's HP is then re-totaled to be either 1.5, 2 or 3 times the item's hardness (those are the only multipliers I've found for HP multipliers of Hardness to HP, even though that's never been specifically addressed in any rules I've ever found).

Spoiler: Heartstone
    Show
    Heartstone: The product of transmuting the right materials together to produce a primordial form of quazi-psi-crystal-metaloid, but has the transparency of glass, with ever so slight hairs and flecks of infused materials flowing through it giving it rich undertones while seeming to absorb light without refracting it at all, making it appear oddly somewhat dull and lackluster. The material has natural facets that make it even more effective for whatever use it is put to. The material is considered psionic crystal and metal, but is impervious to rust, and corrosion, as well as heat/warp metal and transmute earth. The transmutation process for creating heartstone is kept extremely secret by those that know how to make it. Besides being a focus for psionic abilities, it has two unheard of qualities that makes it sought after by those that know of its existence.
    It has the amazing quality of taking any damage it sustains that doesn’t outright destroy the object, absorbing it, and making it stronger and more resilient. An item made of heartstone starts with a hardness of 15 and double its hardness in hit points (30). Half of any hit point damage taken (if the item isn't destroyed), is in the next round added to the items hardness permanently, and the hit points are restored to the new total of double (or triple if a material has been infused into the heartstone that has triple the HP to Hardness as some materials do) the hardness.
    For example, a dagger made of heartstone would initially start with 15 hardness, and 30 hit points. If someone manages to overcome the 15 hardness or by other means deal 10 hit points of damage to it, at the beginning of the next round, the hardness increases to 20, and the items hit points are restored to the items new total of 40 hit points.
    The last property of heartstone is that with the right magical techniques, it can be imbued with the properties of other materials, giving the most beneficial aspects of that materials properties to it. For example, heartstone could be infused with the properties of Mithral to overcome DR/Silver, and for it's weight to be reduced by ½. Heartstone can only be imbued with a particular materials properties once, and only keeps the best of all materials imbued. IE: If another material besides Mithral reduced an item’s weight by ½, it would still only reduce the weight by ½, not ¼. But if a material reduced a comparative item’s weight by ¾, that property would be taken over the Mithral.
    Weapons made from heartstone give an inherent +2 bonus on damage, increases critical threat range by 1, and critical multiplier by 1. A true heartstone blade ignores armor bonuses of armor, as well as deflection bonuses from magical items. Against magical armor, the weapon needs to have an enhancement bonus equal to or greater than that of the armor in order to have any special effect; otherwise, it is treated as a normal weapon.
    Requirements to create heartstone: Ability to cast 5th level transmutation spells, Craft: Alchemy 10 ranks. To further enhance the properties of heartstone with other materials, a Spellcraft check of the Transmutation school must be made, adding the Craft: Alchemy skill for a total. The DC of adding a property to heartstone is 20 + 2 for each property already added. For example: If a heartstone dagger has the Silver property of either Mithral or Alchemical Silver infused to it, it would take the on the ability to bypass the damage reduction of creatures that are resistant to everything but silver. Heartstone may take on any number of properties, but each property requires an equal amount of material (Adamantine) equal to the weight of the item made of heartstone. The base material becomes Iron, and all the properties are then infused into the heartstone, which takes the best properties infused into it. For example: a dagger of iron normally made of 1 pound, would become heartstone weighing 4 ounces. You would still need 1 pound of Mithral to infuse its properties into the heartstone.
    The Cost of this procedure in ritual components is 2,000 gp per material to be infused, plus the material to be infused cost. For example, if you were to wanting to infuse the properties of 3 materials into the heartstone, the ritual would cost 6,000 gp + (cost of 1 lb of Mithral) + (cost of 1 lb of Crystal, Blood) + (Cost of 1 lb of Umbrite) and the DC checks may be made all at once, but at an increased DC equal to 20 + 2 per any other infusions previously successfully made + 2 for each substance trying to be infused in the current ritual.
    It can initially be crafted from Primordial Clay that is transmuted in a specific way to permanently take on one form, but retains it's chaotic malleable essence within that can be further manipulated (Knowledge: Planes DC 60).

29. - Top - End - #179

PirateGuy

If you do include rules for combining multiple materials in a weapon i suggest putting a hard limit like 2 or 3 materials. I remember somewhere in 3.5 there where special Alloy rules wich included that for the alloy to have the effect of a certain material, the combination much have at least 51% of the desired material or somesuch. Creating a billot of 10 materials makes them loose their effect.

To paraphrase the incredibles: If you make something out of ALL special materials, they aint special no more.

regarding crafting rules: i dont think you need any. the current system is perfectly compatible with the normal crafting rules.

30. - Top - End - #180
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Hello, everyone!

I'll reply to your comments when I get a little more extra time (I'm leaving for work in a few minutes). For now, I just wanted give you guys a quick preview of the updated versions of the modifications and flaws I created based on your feedback :

Spoiler: Modifications
    Show

Arc: Attacks made with this bypass up to 2 points of cover bonus to AC.
    Special: This property may be added twice, allowing a total of up to 4 points of cover bonus to be ignored.
    Requirements: Ranged weapon or Throw modification. Craft Points: 2

Special: When the Improved Reload Speed or Improved Ammo Capacity modification are added to a weapon with the Blaster modification, they apply to either the base weapon or to the Blaster modification. Not both. No other modifications or flaws can be applied to the Blaster modification. Despite requiring ammo, having the Blaster modification does not automatically make the weapon a ranged weapon.

Ricochet: If a proficient user manages to hit their target, the weapon ricochets to an adjacent target. The user immediately makes a second attack roll at the same bonus -4 for this attack. Attacks may ricochet only once. The target of the ricochet shot must be within a distance equal to the weapon’s range increments or 30 ft, whichever is shorter.

Refilling: Particularly advanced weapons sometimes only need to cool down before being used again, or be exposed to a source of energy which they are designed to absorb (such as sunlight).
    These weapons automatically refills their ammo and/or charges/fuel units (specified when the modification is added). The rate of recovery is determined by the weapon’s total ammo capacity and by the craft points spent in this modification.
    Craft Point Cost/ Ammo/Charge Recovery Rate:
    1 cp - 1 per hour
    3 cp - 1 per minute
    4 cp - 1 per round

Spoiler: Flaws
    Show

Overheating: After being used a certain number of times, this weapons requires cooling down for a certain time before being able to be used again. Every time the weapon uses 50% of its total ammo or charge/fuel capacity in a time span equal or shorter than 1 minute , it must be allowed to cool down for 1 minute.
    If it keeps being used, the weapon overheats. This causes the weapon to gain the Broken condition gained from overheating and deal 1d6 fire damage to anyone holding it. Allowing an overheated weapon to cool down for 10 minutes removes the Broken condition and ends the fire damage effect.
    Special: Subject to GM’s approval, when the weapon is in particularly cold environments, the cooldown period and total time span the in which the weapon must spend half its ammo before overheating decrease by half. The opposite effect happens in particularly hot environments.
    Prerequisite: Must use ammo and/or charge/fuel units. Craft Points Value: 1

- If the equipment necessary for the reload procedure can be reasonably transported by a 4-person vehicle, this flaw is worth 2 cp.
    - If the equipment necessary for the reload procedure requires a specialized facility and/or cannot be reasonably moved without major effort and large means of transportation, like a ship this flaw is worth 4 cp.
    Special: A weapon with this flaw cannot take Improved Reload Speed or Reduced Reload Speed flaw.
    Prerequisite: None. Craft Points Value: 2 or 4.

New special materials are already in the works, but their wording isn't good enough even for a preview right now...
    Last edited by Lemmy; 2017-04-24 at 08:22 AM.
    Homebrew Stuff: