New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Bugbear in the Playground

PirateGuy

Default Re: Lemmy's Custom Weapon Generation System

Quote Originally Posted by Lemmy View Post
    Hello, everyone!

I'll reply to your comments when I get a little more extra time (I'm leaving for work in a few minutes). For now, I just wanted give you guys a quick preview of the updated versions of the modifications and flaws I created based on your feedback :

Spoiler: Modifications
    Show

Arc: Attacks made with this bypass up to 2 points of cover bonus to AC.
    Special: This property may be added twice, allowing a total of up to 4 points of cover bonus to be ignored.
    Requirements: Ranged weapon or Throw modification. Craft Points: 2

Blaster: A weapon with this modification releases extra kinetic force at the moment of impact by blasting explosive ammo. On a successful hit, the wielder can activate this modification as a free action. This cause the attack to deal 2d6 of force damage in addition to its normal damage. This does not deplete the weapon’s normal ammo reserves (if any). Instead, the weapon gains a separate ammo reserve (capacity of 1) that is specifically and solely depleted when this modification is activated. Reloading this modification requires an standard action.
    Special: When the Improved Reload Speed or Improved Ammo Capacity modification are added to a weapon with the Blaster modification, they apply to either the base weapon or to the Blaster modification. Not both. No other modifications or flaws can be applied to the Blaster modification. Despite requiring ammo, having the Blaster modification does not automatically make the weapon a ranged weapon.
    Requirements: None. Craft Points: 2

Ricochet: If a proficient user manages to hit their target, the weapon ricochets to an adjacent target. The user immediately makes a second attack roll at the same bonus -4 for this attack. Attacks may ricochet only once. The target of the ricochet shot must be within a distance equal to the weapon’s range increments or 30 ft, whichever is shorter.
    Requirements: Ranged weapon or Throw modification. Craft Points: 3

Refilling: Particularly advanced weapons sometimes only need to cool down before being used again, or be exposed to a source of energy which they are designed to absorb (such as sunlight).
    These weapons automatically refills their ammo and/or charges/fuel units (specified when the modification is added). The rate of recovery is determined by the weapon’s total ammo capacity and by the craft points spent in this modification.
    Craft Point Cost/ Ammo/Charge Recovery Rate:
    1 cp - 1 per hour
    2 cp - 1 every 10 minutes
    3 cp - 1 per minute
    4 cp - 1 per round

Special: If the weapon has an ammo capacity of 25 or higher, the regeneration increases to 5 per cycle. If the capacity is 100 or higher, it increases again to 10 per cycle.
    Requirements: Weapon must use ammo and/or fuel/charges. Craft Points: 1 to 4 cp (read text)

Spoiler: Flaws
    Show

Overheating: After being used a certain number of times, this weapons requires cooling down for a certain time before being able to be used again. Every time the weapon uses 50% of its total ammo or charge/fuel capacity in a time span equal or shorter than 1 minute , it must be allowed to cool down for 1 minute.
    If it keeps being used, the weapon overheats. This causes the weapon to gain the Broken condition gained from overheating and deal 1d6 fire damage to anyone holding it. Allowing an overheated weapon to cool down for 10 minutes removes the Broken condition and ends the fire damage effect.
    Special: Subject to GM’s approval, when the weapon is in particularly cold environments, the cooldown period and total time span the in which the weapon must spend half its ammo before overheating decrease by half. The opposite effect happens in particularly hot environments.
    Prerequisite: Must use ammo and/or charge/fuel units. Craft Points Value: 1

Impractical Reload: This weapon requires a specialized facility or heavy equipment to be reload. The specifics vary from weapon to weapon, but either way, reloading a weapon with this flaw takes no less than 1 hour. This flaw’s Craft Point Value varies based on the difficulty of the reload procedure.
    - If the equipment necessary for the reload procedure can be reasonably transported by a 4-person vehicle, this flaw is worth 2 cp.
    - If the equipment necessary for the reload procedure requires a specialized facility and/or cannot be reasonably moved without major effort and large means of transportation, like a ship this flaw is worth 4 cp.
    Special: A weapon with this flaw cannot take Improved Reload Speed or Reduced Reload Speed flaw.
    Prerequisite: None. Craft Points Value: 2 or 4.

New special materials are already in the works, but their wording isn't good enough even for a preview right now...
    Looks good. Does blaster work on ranged weapons too? does it add a second ammo capacity?
    I do have a little worry about mods like ricochet and rapid fire is that it gives you an effect that is usually for feats for the low price of a weapon mod, wich very little gold for adventurers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orderic View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by swaoeaeieu
    Or maybe, i dont know... adoption?
    Don't be ridiculous. We need those orphans...
    If at any point you notice mistakes in my English, please let me know, I am always looking to improve.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by AOKost View Post
    While I completely agree that you shouldn't allow all combinations of materials, you could still allow some of Mithrals properties to combine with Gravatus... The weight would be reduced, and the improvements it would otherwise normally apply, the object would weigh 2/3rds of what it normally would, but is easier to use...
    The thing is... Mihtral is basically "steel, but lighter", while gravatus is basically "steel, but heavier". Mixing the two of them would create what? "Steel, but with the same weight"?

Quote Originally Posted by AOKost View Post
    Now if you had 6 metals (and only metals unless you're making a laminated billet to make spikes to make a spiked club), the weight would average out. You'd get the best of the material benefits, with a HUGE DC and cost (for materials, and the smith able to successfully craft).

A slight way I've gotten around this is to come up with a homebrew material that's similar to something I read about in the series Wheel of Time, and that's Heartstone. I've intentionally modified it from the written version so that through a ritual that includes transmutation magic and alchemy, that allows the properties of one Special Material to be invested permanently into an equal volume of Heartstone, and the Special Material that was used in the ritual becomes inert iron or worthless dust. An unlimited number of properties can be incorporated into Heartstone, with an increasing difficulty for every Material invested. A further property is that any HP damage done to the item, if it's not destroyed, then the next round it's fully repaired, and 1/2 of the HP damage it had taken is turned into Hardness, and the item's HP is then re-totaled to be either 1.5, 2 or 3 times the item's hardness (those are the only multipliers I've found for HP multipliers of Hardness to HP, even though that's never been specifically addressed in any rules I've ever found).

Spoiler: Heartstone
    Show
    Heartstone: The product of transmuting the right materials together to produce a primordial form of quazi-psi-crystal-metaloid, but has the transparency of glass, with ever so slight hairs and flecks of infused materials flowing through it giving it rich undertones while seeming to absorb light without refracting it at all, making it appear oddly somewhat dull and lackluster. The material has natural facets that make it even more effective for whatever use it is put to. The material is considered psionic crystal and metal, but is impervious to rust, and corrosion, as well as heat/warp metal and transmute earth. The transmutation process for creating heartstone is kept extremely secret by those that know how to make it. Besides being a focus for psionic abilities, it has two unheard of qualities that makes it sought after by those that know of its existence.
    It has the amazing quality of taking any damage it sustains that doesn’t outright destroy the object, absorbing it, and making it stronger and more resilient. An item made of heartstone starts with a hardness of 15 and double its hardness in hit points (30). Half of any hit point damage taken (if the item isn't destroyed), is in the next round added to the items hardness permanently, and the hit points are restored to the new total of double (or triple if a material has been infused into the heartstone that has triple the HP to Hardness as some materials do) the hardness.
    For example, a dagger made of heartstone would initially start with 15 hardness, and 30 hit points. If someone manages to overcome the 15 hardness or by other means deal 10 hit points of damage to it, at the beginning of the next round, the hardness increases to 20, and the items hit points are restored to the items new total of 40 hit points.
    The last property of heartstone is that with the right magical techniques, it can be imbued with the properties of other materials, giving the most beneficial aspects of that materials properties to it. For example, heartstone could be infused with the properties of Mithral to overcome DR/Silver, and for it's weight to be reduced by ½. Heartstone can only be imbued with a particular materials properties once, and only keeps the best of all materials imbued. IE: If another material besides Mithral reduced an item’s weight by ½, it would still only reduce the weight by ½, not ¼. But if a material reduced a comparative item’s weight by ¾, that property would be taken over the Mithral.
    Weapons made from heartstone give an inherent +2 bonus on damage, increases critical threat range by 1, and critical multiplier by 1. A true heartstone blade ignores armor bonuses of armor, as well as deflection bonuses from magical items. Against magical armor, the weapon needs to have an enhancement bonus equal to or greater than that of the armor in order to have any special effect; otherwise, it is treated as a normal weapon.
    Requirements to create heartstone: Ability to cast 5th level transmutation spells, Craft: Alchemy 10 ranks. To further enhance the properties of heartstone with other materials, a Spellcraft check of the Transmutation school must be made, adding the Craft: Alchemy skill for a total. The DC of adding a property to heartstone is 20 + 2 for each property already added. For example: If a heartstone dagger has the Silver property of either Mithral or Alchemical Silver infused to it, it would take the on the ability to bypass the damage reduction of creatures that are resistant to everything but silver. Heartstone may take on any number of properties, but each property requires an equal amount of material (Adamantine) equal to the weight of the item made of heartstone. The base material becomes Iron, and all the properties are then infused into the heartstone, which takes the best properties infused into it. For example: a dagger of iron normally made of 1 pound, would become heartstone weighing 4 ounces. You would still need 1 pound of Mithral to infuse its properties into the heartstone.
    The Cost of this procedure in ritual components is 2,000 gp per material to be infused, plus the material to be infused cost. For example, if you were to wanting to infuse the properties of 3 materials into the heartstone, the ritual would cost 6,000 gp + (cost of 1 lb of Mithral) + (cost of 1 lb of Crystal, Blood) + (Cost of 1 lb of Umbrite) and the DC checks may be made all at once, but at an increased DC equal to 20 + 2 per any other infusions previously successfully made + 2 for each substance trying to be infused in the current ritual.
    It can initially be crafted from Primordial Clay that is transmuted in a specific way to permanently take on one form, but retains it's chaotic malleable essence within that can be further manipulated (Knowledge: Planes DC 60).
    It's certainly an interesting material, but a tad too complicated for the little Special Materials chapter of my project... Maybe after it's grown big and strong.

In any case, I'd say an item needs to be at least 40% composed of a certain material to absorb its properties... This limits the effective combinations of two materials, while allowing the crafter to use some fancy material for the handle, for example... Just for flavor.

A very early stage of the rules for combining materials is in already in the draft document, but it probably won't see be in the "official" document for a while... Right now, finishing the modifications and flaws and adding more special materials is higher on the priority list.
    Last edited by Lemmy; 2017-04-25 at 01:45 PM.
    Homebrew Stuff:

3. - Top - End - #183
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Swaoeaeieu View Post
    Looks good. Does blaster work on ranged weapons too? does it add a second ammo capacity?
    Yes and yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Blaster Modification:
    A weapon with this modification releases extra kinetic force at the moment of impact by blasting explosive ammo. On a successful hit, the wielder can activate this modification as a free action. This cause the attack to deal 2d6 of force damage in addition to its normal damage. This does not deplete the weapon’s normal ammo reserves (if any). Instead, the weapon gains a separate ammo reserve (capacity of 1) that is specifically and solely depleted when this modification is activated. Reloading this modification requires an standard action.
    I do have a little worry about mods like ricochet and rapid fire is that it gives you an effect that is usually for feats for the low price of a weapon mod, wich very little gold for adventurers.
    That reminds me... I followed the suggestion of limiting the effect to at most 30 ft... But the modification already specifies it has to be an adjacent target, which is pretty limiting, now that I think about it...

But addressing your concern... There are three points to adding these modifications:

- It's "realistic": Weapons are designed to complement and replace personal skill all the time. The more advanced the technology, the more effective and easier to use weapons become.

- It's setting-appropriate: It'd be difficult to evoke the feel and visual of advanced weapons if they fire at the same rate and have the same ammo capacity as their century-old predecessors. When playing in a modern setting, it's nice to have rules that make the appropriately advanced weapons feel right.

- It's not necessarily allowed: I think this should be something to always keep in mind: Just because all these options are present in the document, it doesn't mean all of them should be present in every setting or campaign... Or that the players (or NPCs) get to cherry-pick as much as they want.

In fact... One of my favorite uses of this system is creating a custom weapon list. A short and simple one, and allowing a few modifications as adjustments that can be freely added (with the appropriate forging equipment and procedure, of course) to individual weapons... And then give new, cooler, unique weapons as the campaign progresses. These weapons may or may not allow smiths and crafters to reverse engineer new modifications.
    Last edited by Lemmy; 2017-04-25 at 08:13 PM.
    Homebrew Stuff:

4. - Top - End - #184

PirateGuy

- It's not necessarily allowed: I think this should be something to always keep in mind: Just because all these options are present in the document, it doesn't mean all of them should be present in every setting or campaign... Or that the players (or NPCs) get to cherry-pick as much as they want.
    While i do agree with this point, the system is meant to be used in different settings over different tech levels, you do need to be carefull that ''Dont use it if you dont like it'' does not get in the way of balance. I'm not saying this with ricochet in mind but with possible future options. You shouldnt add things that are just beter then normal options under the banner of flexibility. but i guess thats what we are all here for with the feedback, to make sure it isnt too good to be added :P

just something to keep in mind that just came to me after rereading your post.
    If at any point you notice mistakes in my English, please let me know, I am always looking to improve.

5. - Top - End - #185
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

While i do agree with this point, the system is meant to be used in different settings over different tech levels, you do need to be carefull that ''Dont use it if you dont like it'' does not get in the way of balance. I'm not saying this with ricochet in mind but with possible future options. You shouldnt add things that are just beter then normal options under the banner of flexibility. but i guess thats what we are all here for with the feedback, to make sure it isnt too good to be added :P

just something to keep in mind that just came to me after rereading your post.
    You're right. And I do try to make my modifications balanced (notice for example that the Burst modification doesn't work like it would if my only concern was realism). In fact, I really annoys me when people say bad design is okay because "the GM can fix it" or "It's not allowed". Poor design is poor design.

The point I was making is that some modifications, while powerful, might not be unbalanced depending on the setting. Either because they are so common that everyone has them and/or prepares for them (e.g.: firearms in a modern setting or laser beams in a sci-fi campaign) or because they are extremely rare or even completely nonexistent, to the point where it's all but impossible for the PCs to find them.

e.g.: In a world of tanks and machine guns, having an ammo capacity in the hundreds and the burst modification is ok. In a world of swords and longbows... Not so much.

I probably wouldn't allow Blaster, Energy Conduit or Refilling in a medieval- setting or campaign, unless the PCs have access to magi-tech or something equally advanced. Maybe a particularly unique crossbow could have the Burst modification, or something like that... But otherwise, they're probably not going to be part of the game.

Still, despite my best attempts to prevent it... I'm sure there's some combination of modifications that is pretty overpowered. It's pretty much unavoidable with point-buy systems... So that's why I mention that GM and players should keep in mind that the vast majority of characters (both PCs and NPCs) are usually unable to pick and choose what modifications they want. Not only based on setting, but also on skill/knowledge/technology/resources available to the crafter.

Sure, a laser gatling gun would be nearly unstoppable in the renaissance... And the player has creativity and necessary feats to create one using my homebrew... But does his character have the necessary know-how, tools and resources to do it? Where will he get a battery for the laser? Where will he get the components necessary for the gun? Where did he even get the idea of a gatling gun so early in history? Specially one that shoots laser!

Now... Maybe he has that cool, unique rapid-fire crossbow I mentioned before... Because that's what he has access to.

OTOH... In a game where the is setting like the ones presented in Final Fantasy, Monster Hunter and RWBY, for example... I'm all for letting the players go crazy (although the GM should probably still check if any combination is way too good. Like I said... I'm sure there is some combo that is really powerful and I haven't noticed yet!). Part of the fun in those scenarios is coming up with badass freaky weapons that may or may not make sense if we apply real-world logic to them...

And that's another great reason for me to do my best to keep things balanced.
    Homebrew Stuff:

6. - Top - End - #186
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Here's is my very first draft for Inanis... The magic-disrupting material.

Like all other materials, it has no cost assigned to it yet (I really should get to that )... I'm not sure how balanced it is, though. It's probably not very good for PCs, but might make a cool material for some sort of mage-hunting organization.

Spoiler: Inanis
    Show

Inanis is a very rare metal of deep black color. Its dark, opaque appearance makes it difficult to identify as a metal. Still, it can be forged, shaped, tempered and (with great effort and expenses) enchanted. Inanis is known for its magic-disrupting abilities. Spells and magical effects are all greatly reduced (and sometimes completely nullified) by the material. This makes inanis simultaneously highly valuable and completely worthless, depending on who you ask. There are stories of mages in the darkest corners of the world who found a way to have their magic work perfectly fine on inanis, but so far, there's no evidence that such stories are anything but baseless rumors.

- Armor made of Inanis provides spell resistance, but also causes a significant chance of spell failure, depending on the type of armor. This chance of spell failure affects not only arcane spells, but all spells and spell-like abilities.
    Light armor provides SR 15 and a 25% chance of spell failure, medium armor provides SR 25 and 50% chance of spell failure. Heavy armor provides SR 40 and a 75% chance of spell failure.

- Weapons made of Inanis give the character a +5 bonus on physical attacks and maneuvers made to deflect or disrupt magic (such as the Shatterspell feat).

Additionally, objects made of pure inanis are immune to all magical effects affected by spell resistance and/or with caster level 5 or lower. This immunity does not extend to those using or wearing said objects.
    The cost for magically enhancing an object made of inanis is double the normal cost for the same enhancement.
    Last edited by Lemmy; 2017-04-27 at 08:16 AM.
    Homebrew Stuff:

7. - Top - End - #187

PirateGuy

You're right. And I do try to make my modifications balanced (notice for example that the Burst modification doesn't work like it would if my only concern was realism). In fact, I really annoys me when people say bad design is okay because "the GM can fix it" or "It's not allowed". Poor design is poor design.

The point I was making is that some modifications, while powerful, might not be unbalanced depending on the setting. Either because they are so common that everyone has them and/or prepares for them (e.g.: firearms in a modern setting or laser beams in a sci-fi campaign) or because they are extremely rare or even completely nonexistent, to the point where it's all but impossible for the PCs to find them.

e.g.: In a world of tanks and machine guns, having an ammo capacity in the hundreds and the burst modification is ok. In a world of swords and longbows... Not so much.

I probably wouldn't allow Blaster, Energy Conduit or Refilling in a medieval- setting or campaign, unless the PCs have access to magi-tech or something equally advanced. Maybe a particularly unique crossbow could have the Burst modification, or something like that... But otherwise, they're probably not going to be part of the game.

Still, despite my best attempts to prevent it... I'm sure there's some combination of modifications that is pretty overpowered. It's pretty much unavoidable with point-buy systems... So that's why I mention that GM and players should keep in mind that the vast majority of characters (both PCs and NPCs) are usually unable to pick and choose what modifications they want. Not only based on setting, but also on skill/knowledge/technology/resources available to the crafter.

Sure, a laser gatling gun would be nearly unstoppable in the renaissance... And the player has creativity and necessary feats to create one using my homebrew... But does his character have the necessary know-how, tools and resources to do it? Where will he get a battery for the laser? Where will he get the components necessary for the gun? Where did he even get the idea of a gatling gun so early in history? Specially one that shoots laser!

Now... Maybe he has that cool, unique rapid-fire crossbow I mentioned before... Because that's what he has access to.

OTOH... In a game where the is setting like the ones presented in Final Fantasy, Monster Hunter and RWBY, for example... I'm all for letting the players go crazy (although the GM should probably still check if any combination is way too good. Like I said... I'm sure there is some combo that is really powerful and I haven't noticed yet!). Part of the fun in those scenarios is coming up with badass freaky weapons that may or may not make sense if we apply real-world logic to them...

And that's another great reason for me to do my best to keep things balanced.
    Well that is exactly what i was trying to say, glad you got my point ^^

Here's is my very first draft for Inanis... The magic-disrupting material.

Like all other materials, it has no cost assigned to it yet (I really should get to that )... I'm not sure how balanced it is, though. It's probably not very good for PCs, but might make a cool material for some sort of mage-hunting organization.

Spoiler: Inanis
    Show

Inanis is a very rare metal of deep black color. Its dark, opaque appearance makes it difficult to identify as a metal. Still, it can be forged, shaped, tempered and (with great effort and expenses) enchanted. Inanis is known for its magic-disrupting abilities. Spells and magical effects are all greatly reduced (and sometimes completely nullified) by the material. This makes inanis simultaneously highly valuable and completely worthless, depending on who you ask. There are stories of mages in the darkest corners of the world who found a way to have their magic work perfectly fine on inanis, but so far, there's no evidence that such stories are anything but baseless rumors.

- Armor made of Inanis provides spell resistance, but also causes a significant chance of spell failure, depending on the type of armor. This chance of spell failure affects not only arcane spells, but all spells and spell-like abilities.
    Light armor provides SR 15 and a 25% chance of spell failure, medium armor provides SR 25 and 50% chance of spell failure. Heavy armor provides SR 40 and a 75% chance of spell failure.

- Weapons made of Inanis give the character a +5 bonus on physical attacks and maneuvers made to deflect or disrupt magic (such as the Shatterspell feat).

Additionally, objects made of pure inanis are immune to all magical effects affected by spell resistance and/or with caster level 5 or lower. This immunity does not extend to those using or wearing said objects.
    The cost for magically enhancing an object made of inanis is double the normal cost for the same enhancement.
    i am not very familiar with spell resistance, but i imagine 40 being pretty darn high. For the weapons made from the stuff, how many ways are there to deflect magic in 3.5/pathfinder? I think i nice addition to this would be that a spellcaster hit with a weapon made from inanis either looses a spell or needs to make a high safe to cast at all for X rounds.
    That way you could actually use it offensively against casters. as it is now, it feels like the Anti Magic material is a little anticlimactic. cant put my finger on it though

8. - Top - End - #188
    Troll in the Playground

Dc 40 is high but not impossible with regular wizard or sorcerer also it looks like martial metal for me
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Shadow View Post
    Threads are like cats. They go where they want, and never listen to what you want them to do.

9. - Top - End - #189
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Well that is exactly what i was trying to say, glad you got my point ^^
    Yes. That's been my design philosophy from the start:

- Create Cool Options.
    - Try to Make Them Balanced.
    - Remember That Balance Requires Context Sometimes (e.g.: gatling gun in the renaissance vs gatling gun in sci-fi future)
    - Try to Balance Them Anyway.
    - Remember That No Option Has to Be Available to Every Character/Setting/Campaign.
    - Still, Try to Balance Them One More Time, Just to Be Safe.
    - Coolness and Effectiveness Should Never Be at Odds!

i am not very familiar with spell resistance, but i imagine 40 being pretty darn high.
    Quote Originally Posted by khadgar567 View Post
    DC 40 is high but not impossible with regular wizard or sorcerer also it looks like martial metal for me
    Like Khadgar said, it's pretty high, but not insurmountable. Still, martials are probably the only ones who'll find an use for this metal... The high cost of enhancement also keeps it from being anyone's main weapon, unless they can get around it somehow. SR isn't really a good ability to have... But for some characters it might be useful. In its current form, Inanis is probably more effective as a defensive tool than as an offensive one.

For the weapons made from the stuff, how many ways are there to deflect magic in 3.5/pathfinder?
    There are a few ways nowadays... Spell Sunder, Spellshatter, another dispelling-attack feat whose name I don't remember, a feat that allows fighters to deflect rays...

I think a nice addition to this would be that a spellcaster hit with a weapon made from inanis either loses a spell or needs to make a high safe to cast at all for X rounds. That way you could actually use it offensively against casters. as it is now, it feels like the Anti Magic material is a little anticlimactic. cant put my finger on it though
    There are some spells that can be destroyed, like Wall of Force (although, to make that more useful, I should probably add that Inanis also increases damage vs magical effects and summoned creatures). I don't want any mechanics that completely stops the caster from casting... Although an increase in the DC of concentration checks for not losing the spell when damaged mid-casting would be cool...
    Homebrew Stuff:

10. - Top - End - #190
    Troll in the Playground

@lemmy lets think buddy this metal makes good caster limiter dc 40 save on each attack. I dont know but it begs for fail in crucial time and its all you need to f the mage simple slip in concentration and the spell you cast is fizzles plus if you combo with something speedy you can get good results in same combat due
    Threads are like cats. They go where they want, and never listen to what you want them to do.

11. - Top - End - #191
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

@lemmy lets think buddy this metal makes good caster limiter dc 40 save on each attack. I dont know but it begs for fail in crucial time and its all you need to f the mage simple slip in concentration and the spell you cast is fizzles plus if you combo with something speedy you can get good results in same combat due
    My apologies. I don't mean to be rude... But I don't understand the sentence. Can you clarify what you mean?
    Homebrew Stuff:

12. - Top - End - #192
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

I really want to include a "Sample Custom Weapon List" with a few generic weapons... But by the gods, is that a lot more work than I remembered! And of course I lost the file where I had a list made for one of my campaigns.

*sigh*
    Last edited by Lemmy; 2017-05-02 at 02:30 PM.
    Homebrew Stuff:

13. - Top - End - #193

PirateGuy

I really want to include a "Sample Custom Weapon List" with a few generic weapons... But by the gods, is that a lot more work than I remembered! And of course I lost the file where I had a list made for one of my campaigns.

*sigh*
    would you like us to help you by statting some basic weapons?

14. - Top - End - #194
    Dwarf in the Playground

It's a beautiful system. I kinda feel like I'm wasting its intricacies by giving my villain a custom Exotic 2H Greatsword that does 2d10 base damage, from x3 Improved Damage Die.
    .....Homebrew:
    Rolled up yet another +1 Flaming Longsword or Potion of Cure Light Wounds as loot? Refluff them! Also included, Riding Dogs and Horses with personality!

Awesomely detailed avatar by Derjuin.

15. - Top - End - #195
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Oops... Sorry for the long time to reply! I was busy with a few things and didn't really have the time to check the thread.

would you like us to help you by statting some basic weapons?
    I'm always in favor of other people doing my work for me!

I'm just no sure how generic I want my weapons to be...

So far... my base idea is something like this:

(names in quotation marks aren't defined)

Spoiler: Simple
    Show

Melee:
    light club (fire conduit weapon?)
    simple torch
    simple dagger
    brass knuckles/gauntlets

heavy club
    ax/cleaver
    sickle

pitchfork
    spear (reach)

Ranged:
    crossbow
    cranequin (crossbow using the cranked(automatic) mechanic)
    sling (not sure how to build this one... Might actually require a new 0* cp modification)
    blowgun (see sling )

Spoiler: Martial
    Show

Melee:
    shortsword
    cestus
    mace/warhammer
    throwing ax

longsword
    "curved blade" (saber/scimitar/katana)
    rapier
    flail/nunchaku
    "martial sickle"

greatsword
    battleaxe
    lance
    earth-breaker
    "bladed polearm" (glaive, guisarme, halberd, etc)
    longspear/pike

Ranged:
    shortbow
    longbow
    throwing dagger/shuriken
    pilum

Spoiler: Exotic
    Show

Melee:
    whip
    net (throw) (not sure how to do this right now)
    bladed scarf
    chained sickle
    branched sword

Ranged:
    handcrossbow
    flask thrower (fire-damage energy weapon?)
    chakram *

I stated some already, but I'm not sure about the rest... I want them to be a true choice, but don't necessarily want them to sue all craft points available to them. And I'm still not sure how to classify (early) firearms... A realistic choice would be Simple Weapons... PF has them as exotic, but Paizo really overestimates their effectiveness, IMHO. But maybe simple is also underestimating them... Maybe martial? I have no idea.
    Last edited by Lemmy; 2017-05-04 at 09:37 PM.
    Homebrew Stuff:

16. - Top - End - #196
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Shark Uppercut View Post
    It's a beautiful system. I kinda feel like I'm wasting its intricacies by giving my villain a custom Exotic 2H Greatsword that does 2d10 base damage, from x3 Improved Damage Die.
    Heh... Don't feel bad!

A weapon generation system that doesn't allow you to create BIG F****ING SWORDS is no good weapon generation system!
    Last edited by Lemmy; 2017-05-04 at 09:53 PM.
    Homebrew Stuff:

17. - Top - End - #197
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

This is beautiful, in fact could I use it in a class? like this:
    Spoiler: I have to ask Lemmy if I can use
    Show
    Increased Modification Capacity: When creating a weapon (and using Lemmy’s Custom Weapon Generation System) the craft points a weapon can have is increased by ½ the lord smith’s intelligence modifier.

Did I say it was wonderful?
    Last edited by Westhart; 2017-05-05 at 06:56 AM.
    Homebrew: If it is mine feel free to PEACH and/or use it.

Extended Signature

Well, it seems that life has deposited me here, yet again. Hopefully this time I get to stay a while, as I intend on revising some old homebrew.

18. - Top - End - #198
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shark Uppercut View Post
    DISCLAIMER: I am not a munchkin, it's just sometimes fun to pretend

What about an exotic 2H club, made of gravatus, with +12 motorblade, x3 improved damage die, and energy conduit?
    Damage formula: 9d6+BAB/2+1.5*Str+2, avg 27 with BAB 0 and Str 10

Or an exotic 2H automatic crossbow rock-flinger, made of gravatus, with +12 autocrank, two burst fires, and three improved reloads? Firing alchemical bullets?
    Damage formula: 6d8+1d6+BAB/2+2, free reload, 20ft range, avg 27 with BAB 0

That being said, the fact that people can break the system does not mean the system is broken. I made 4 pages of great flavorful balanced weapons before deciding to max my damage. I do believe the system works well.
    Physics in D&D is only superficially similar to real world physics.

19. - Top - End - #199

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by HisHighestMinio View Post

What about an exotic 2H club, made of gravatus, with +12 motorblade, x3 improved damage die, and energy conduit?

Or an exotic 2H automatic crossbow rock-flinger, made of gravatus, with +12 autocrank, two burst fires, and three improved reloads? Firing alchemical bullets?

That being said, the fact that people can break the system does not mean the system is broken. I made 4 pages of great flavorful balanced weapons before deciding to max my damage. I do believe the system works well.
    I would love to see the pages of weapons you made with this :D care to share?

20. - Top - End - #200
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by NothingAbnormal View Post
    This is beautiful, in fact could I use it in a class? like this:
    Spoiler: I have to ask Lemmy if I can use
    Show
    Increased Modification Capacity: When creating a weapon (and using Lemmy’s Custom Weapon Generation System) the craft points a weapon can have is increased by ½ the lord smith’s intelligence modifier.

Did I say it was wonderful?
    Of course you can. I have no idea how balanced it is... But you're free to find out (and tell me the results).
    Last edited by Lemmy; 2017-05-06 at 09:04 AM. Reason: stupid typos...
    Homebrew Stuff:

21. - Top - End - #201
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Those are pretty cool... But not completely accurate.

First: You'll spend 6 points with just the Improve Damage Die (x3). That means you need at least 2 points in flaws to do it (assuming you used the Exotic Bludgeoning Melee template).

Second: The Motorblade modification (and Crank(automatic)) replaces your Strength modifier on damage rolls. They don't add to it. They're basically a technological substitute for human strength.

Third: Motorblade modification (as well as Crank(automatic)) have a damage bonus limit equal to 2+ 1/2 user's BAB, which means, no matter how much gold you spend on them, the maximum damage bonus they'll deal when wielded by a character with BAB +0 is... +2. And they don't benefit from being wielded two-handed.

Fourth: Ranged weapons made of gravatus don't get any increase in damage. You have to use gravatus ammo for it to have any effect. It does shorten your range, though.

Last But Not Least: Gravatus weapons weigh 16 times as much as normal weapons... Admittedly, I haven't added rules or guidelines for weapon weight (yet), but if we assume a 2-handed club weighs, let's say, 5.5 lb (the same as an actual zweihander sword does, which is still less than what a two-handed hammer/club would weigh), then one made of gravatus weighs 80 lb. That means, if you're carrying absolutely nothing else, you still need Str 17 just to avoid being encumbered by it. Now... Admittedly, you can still fight even with heavy encumbrance, so you can wield it with just Str 08... But some GMs might not like you wielding something that takes pretty much all of your strength just to lift.

(That reminds me: I should really add weight rules/guidelines to the project... Maybe also add a few special cases for mithral and gravatus.)

Your base damage die calculation is accurate, though.

And as usual: Thank you for using my humble system. I hope it always succeeds in improving your RPG experience.
    Last edited by Lemmy; 2017-05-06 at 09:04 AM. Reason: Typos. Also, I remembered one additional point.
    Homebrew Stuff:

22. - Top - End - #202
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

I would love to see the pages of weapons you made with this :D care to share?
    I'd like that too.
    Homebrew Stuff:

23. - Top - End - #203
    Dwarf in the Playground

Here they are. Most of them were based on video games.

Spoiler
    Show
    In SSB4, Zero Suit Samus has a blaster pistol that can transform into an electric whip
    Samus' Electro-Whip:
    Double weapon
    [1d6/19-20x2/S/Melee]
    Template: Melee Exotic 1H Slashing
    Modifications: Whip, Whip (reinforced), Elemental damage (electricity), Endless charge, Finesse, Double, Concealed
    [1d6/20x2/P/90ft][Free reload]
    Template:Ranged Exotic Light Piercing
    Modifications: Elemental Damage (fire), Endless charge, Improved damage die, Concealed

The next three were based on weapons from Hyrule Warriors. This one is interesting because it's a double weapon, but one end is two handed. I think that would mean that you can only wield one end at a time, but you wouldn't take any special bonuses or penalties from it (essentially, you have two weapons that are glued together that you can switch between).
    Princess Ruto's Silver Scale
    Double weapon
    [2d6/19-20x2/S/Melee]
    Template: Ranged Exotic 2H Slashing
    Modifications: Double, Improved damage die, Submariner, Finesse
    [1d6/20x2/S/60ft][Free reload]
    Template: Ranged Exotic Light Slashing
    Modifications: Double, Improved damage die, Elemental damage (cold)(charge regenerated by attacking with the other end), Improved reload, Deadly

I'm less satisfied with this one than the others, but that's probably because the abilities I'm trying to replicate are pretty insane. In the game, Linkle has the ability to launch hundreds of bolts per second from crossbows small enough to fit in one hand. No one has any clue where the bolts come from.
    Linkle's Hand Crossbows
    Twinned weapon
    [1d6/20x2/P/60ft][Ammo capacity 10][Standard reload]
    Template: Ranged Exotic 1H Piercing
    Modifications: Improved ammo capacity x3, Twin, Burstfire, Scattershot, Reduced reload speed
    [1d4/20x2/P/60ft][Ammo capacity 10][Free reload]
    Template: Ranged Exotic Light Piercing
    Modifications: Improved ammo capacity x3, Twin, Burstfire, Scattershot, Reduced reload speed
    *Requires a crafter with Extraordinary Smith. If none are available, remove one Improved ammo capacity. If one can add two points to a weapon, remove reduced reload speed*

Darunia's Igneous Hammer
    [2d8/20x2/B or P/Melee]
    Template: Melee Martial 2H Bludgeoning
    Modifications: Improved damage die, Additional damage type (piercing), Energy conduit, Endless charge, Unwieldy

This is just an iron ball attached to a chain
    Ball and Chain
    [2d6/20x2/B/Melee][10ft throwing range]
    Template: Melee Martial Light Bludgeoning
    Modifications: Improved damage die x2, Thrown weapon, Spinning

These two are Star Trek phasers, both the handheld and rifle types
    Handheld Phaser
    [1d8/20x2/B/30ft]
    Template: Ranged Martial 1H Bludgeoning
    Modifications: Improved reload speed x2, Nonleathal, Firearm, Major utility (superior cutting ability)

Phaser Rifle
    [1d10/20x2/B/60ft]
    Template: Ranged Martial 2H Bludgeoning
    Modifications: Improved reload speed x3, Nonleathal, Firearm, Major utility (superior cutting ability)

By now, I was really running out of ideas, so I looked up "ridiculous video game weapons," and voila.
    Gun-chucks
    Double weapon
    [1d8/19-20x2/B or S/Melee][Monk]
    Template: Melee Martial 1H Slashing
    Modifications: Double, Monk, Alt. damage type (bashing), Improved damage die
    [1d4/20x2/P/60ft][Monk]
    Template: Ranged Martial Light Piercing
    Modifications: Double, Monk, Improved reload speed x2, Firearm

This is an ordinary deck of cards. Or, alternatively, this is what you can do with a Deck of Many Things if no one wants to draw.
    Deck of Many Cards
    [1d6/20x2/B or S/30ft][Ammo-like thrown][Free reload]
    Template: Ranged Martial Ammo-like Thrown Bashing
    Modifications: Improved damage die x2, Improved Range, Alt. damage type (slashing), Reduced reload speed.

An arm that has been surgically extended
    Extra-long arm
    [1d4/20x2/B/Melee]
    Template: Melee Simple Light Bludgeoning
    Modifications: Reach, Grapple, Attatched (limb), Nonleathal

24. - Top - End - #204
    Dwarf in the Playground

First off, I miscalculated this morning. They deal 29 average, not 27.

First: You'll spend 6 points with just the Improve Damage Die (x3). That means you need at least 2 points in flaws to do it (assuming you used the Exotic Bludgeoning Melee template).
    I did, I just neglected to write it down in my post. I put the wasteful flaw on it for -2 CP
    I also put a reduced range flaw and the unwieldy flaw on the rock-flinger to pay for the improved reloads.

Second: The Motorblade modification (and Crank(automatic)) replaces your Strength modifier on damage rolls. They don't add to it. They're basically a technological substitute for human strength.
    Granted. I misunderstood those modifications. But that only takes the Strength mod off of my club.

Third: Motorblade modification (as well as Crank(automatic)) have a damage bonus limit equal to 2+ 1/2 user's BAB, which means, no matter how much gold you spend on them, the maximum damage bonus they'll deal when wielded by a character with BAB +0 is... +2. And they don't benefit from being wielded two-handed.
    I took this into account. Both 9d6 and 6d8+1d6 average 27 damage, then the +2 brings it up to 29 average. I decided on +12 motorblade because that's the most extra damage anyone can get pre-epic.
    That's also where the BAB/2 term in each damage formula comes from. No other part of the weapons scale to BAB.

Fourth: Ranged weapons made of gravatus don't get any increase in damage. You have to use gravatus ammo for it to have any effect. It does shorten your range, though.
    Alright, then the ammo is gravatus. I read "Ranged weapons using gravatus projectiles" as "Ranged weapons made of gravatus"
    But that's probably more of an upgrade. I had already taken into effect the range reduction, and at least now the weapon's light enough to pick up. took the darned thing down to 20ft range, it did. can hardly be called ranged now.

Last But Not Least: Gravatus weapons weigh 16 times as much as normal weapons... Admittedly, I haven't added rules or guidelines for weapon weight (yet), but if we assume a 2-handed club weighs, let's say, 5.5 lb (the same as an actual zweihander sword does, which is still less than what a two-handed hammer/club would weigh), then one made of gravatus weighs 80 lb. That means, if you're carrying absolutely nothing else, you still need Str 17 just to avoid being encumbered by it. Now... Admittedly, you can still fight even with heavy encumbrance, so you can wield it with just Str 08... But some GMs might not like you wielding something that takes pretty much all of your strength just to lift.
    This is a very special type of club. It usually only weights one ounce.
    Yes, it would be way too heavy to lift. But I saw that there were no weight guidelines and I exploited it.
    And I doubt that's the first thing GMs would object to. Theoretical optimization, and all that.

25. - Top - End - #205
    Troll in the Playground

Here they are. Most of them were based on video games.

Spoiler
    Show
    In SSB4, Zero Suit Samus has a blaster pistol that can transform into an electric whip
    Samus' Electro-Whip:
    Double weapon
    [1d6/19-20x2/S/Melee]
    Template: Melee Exotic 1H Slashing
    Modifications: Whip, Whip (reinforced), Elemental damage (electricity), Endless charge, Finesse, Double, Concealed
    [1d6/20x2/P/90ft][Free reload]
    Template:Ranged Exotic Light Piercing
    Modifications: Elemental Damage (fire), Endless charge, Improved damage die, Concealed

The next three were based on weapons from Hyrule Warriors. This one is interesting because it's a double weapon, but one end is two handed. I think that would mean that you can only wield one end at a time, but you wouldn't take any special bonuses or penalties from it (essentially, you have two weapons that are glued together that you can switch between).
    Princess Ruto's Silver Scale
    Double weapon
    [2d6/19-20x2/S/Melee]
    Template: Ranged Exotic 2H Slashing
    Modifications: Double, Improved damage die, Submariner, Finesse
    [1d6/20x2/S/60ft][Free reload]
    Template: Ranged Exotic Light Slashing
    Modifications: Double, Improved damage die, Elemental damage (cold)(charge regenerated by attacking with the other end), Improved reload, Deadly

I'm less satisfied with this one than the others, but that's probably because the abilities I'm trying to replicate are pretty insane. In the game, Linkle has the ability to launch hundreds of bolts per second from crossbows small enough to fit in one hand. No one has any clue where the bolts come from.
    Linkle's Hand Crossbows
    Twinned weapon
    [1d6/20x2/P/60ft][Ammo capacity 10][Standard reload]
    Template: Ranged Exotic 1H Piercing
    [1d4/20x2/P/60ft][Ammo capacity 10][Free reload]
    Template: Ranged Exotic Light Piercing
    *Requires a crafter with Extraordinary Smith. If none are available, remove one Improved ammo capacity. If one can add two points to a weapon, remove reduced reload speed*

Darunia's Igneous Hammer
    [2d8/20x2/B or P/Melee]
    Template: Melee Martial 2H Bludgeoning
    Modifications: Improved damage die, Additional damage type (piercing), Energy conduit, Endless charge, Unwieldy

This is just an iron ball attached to a chain
    Ball and Chain
    [2d6/20x2/B/Melee][10ft throwing range]
    Template: Melee Martial Light Bludgeoning
    Modifications: Improved damage die x2, Thrown weapon, Spinning

These two are Star Trek phasers, both the handheld and rifle types
    Handheld Phaser
    [1d8/20x2/B/30ft]
    Template: Ranged Martial 1H Bludgeoning
    Modifications: Improved reload speed x2, Nonleathal, Firearm, Major utility (superior cutting ability)

Phaser Rifle
    [1d10/20x2/B/60ft]
    Template: Ranged Martial 2H Bludgeoning
    Modifications: Improved reload speed x3, Nonleathal, Firearm, Major utility (superior cutting ability)

By now, I was really running out of ideas, so I looked up "ridiculous video game weapons," and voila.
    Gun-chucks
    Double weapon
    [1d8/19-20x2/B or S/Melee][Monk]
    Template: Melee Martial 1H Slashing
    Modifications: Double, Monk, Alt. damage type (bashing), Improved damage die
    [1d4/20x2/P/60ft][Monk]
    Template: Ranged Martial Light Piercing
    Modifications: Double, Monk, Improved reload speed x2, Firearm

This is an ordinary deck of cards. Or, alternatively, this is what you can do with a Deck of Many Things if no one wants to draw.
    Deck of Many Cards
    [1d6/20x2/B or S/30ft][Ammo-like thrown][Free reload]
    Template: Ranged Martial Ammo-like Thrown Bashing
    Modifications: Improved damage die x2, Improved Range, Alt. damage type (slashing), Reduced reload speed.

An arm that has been surgically extended
    Extra-long arm
    [1d4/20x2/B/Melee]
    Template: Melee Simple Light Bludgeoning
    Modifications: Reach, Grapple, Attatched (limb), Nonleathal
    nice weapons but can you build lets say cerberus from devil may cry or (drawing blank here)azmonths omni whrech from racket and clank

kudos to you lemmy this is literally good work cuz i cant see many ridiculous weapons to non build able in this system

26. - Top - End - #206
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Of course you can. I have no idea how balanced it is... But you're free to find out (and tell me the results).
    Alright hehe
    Homebrew: If it is mine feel free to PEACH and/or use it.

Extended Signature

Well, it seems that life has deposited me here, yet again. Hopefully this time I get to stay a while, as I intend on revising some old homebrew.

27. - Top - End - #207
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

<explanation of weapon design>
    Cool. That means everything is working!

This is a very special type of club. It usually only weights one ounce.
    Yes, it would be way too heavy to lift. But I saw that there were no weight guidelines and I exploited it.
    And I doubt that's the first thing GMs would object to. Theoretical optimization, and all that.
    Oddly enough... That might be the only thing I'd object. I mean... The whole point of wielding a super-sized bludgeoning weapon made of gravatus is to have a huge base damage die. I don't mind it. In a setting where such a weapon is available, there are probably other badass stuff on the weapon food-chain.

However, your post does point out a few things for me:

1- I really need to add those weapon weight rules... :P
    2- The "unwieldly" flaw is probably too good. I should probably reduce its cp bonus to 0*. Another possibility is changing it so that it adds a max-Dex-bonus-to-AC limit, like armor and shields. It's a more interesting idea, IMHO, but also probably too "abusable" for low-Dex characters.
    3- I might consider the idea of increasing the cost for Improved Damage Die the third time it's added. Not a fan of the idea, though...
    4- I really need to figure out the price of each material... But I'm not very good at calculating item prices and don't find it enjoyable to do like the rest of the homebrew.

EDIT: Now that I think about it... Another good thing about adding weapon weight, is that I have an excuse to add another page to the document... I can then use that page to not only add the weapon weight rules, but also to expand on the "Technology and Weapon Modifications" section. Maybe add a couple examples and such.
    Last edited by Lemmy; 2017-05-06 at 06:04 PM.
    Homebrew Stuff:

28. - Top - End - #208
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

nice weapons but can you build lets say cerberus from devil may cry or (drawing blank here)azmonths omni whrech from racket and clank
    Hmmm... Cerberus is the triple nunchuks, right? should probably be a Exotic Bludgeoning Melee Weapon with Monk, Additional Damage(piercing) and Energy Conduit (cold) modifications.

kudos to you lemmy this is literally good work cuz i cant see many ridiculous weapons to non build able in this system
    Thanks! If you do find one, tell me. Then I can add new modifications to make them a possibility!
    Homebrew Stuff:

29. - Top - End - #209

PirateGuy

EDIT: Now that I think about it... Another good thing about adding weapon weight, is that I have an excuse to add another page to the document... I can then use that page to not only add the weapon weight rules, but also to expand on the "Technology and Weapon Modifications" section. Maybe add a couple examples and such.
    i've said it before Lemmy and i will say it again. You fascination with page lay out is pretty silly with a growing works like this XD

30. - Top - End - #210
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

i've said it before Lemmy and i will say it again. You fascination with page lay out is pretty silly with a growing works like this XD
    THE COMPULSION IS TOO STRONG!!! I CAN'T FIGHT IT!!!

(also, I sometimes print it for friends and other gaming groups) .
    Homebrew Stuff: