Fire, Booo

Ooze monster!

2. - Top - End - #182
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Villainous Competition XV: The Horsemen Are Drawing Nearer

Quote Originally Posted by daremetoidareyo View Post
    Fire, Booo

Ooze monster!
    I would be down for an ooze monster themed round. I've got a stub or two ready to go for that.

"villainous competition XVI: you ooze, you lose"
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    Venger, can you be my full-time memory aid please?
    Iron Chef Medals!
    Amazing Princess Mononoke avatar by Dispozition

3. - Top - End - #183
    Ogre in the Playground

Hmmm....how about "unlikely Class/Concept Combiantions 1: The Evil is in the Style"?
    A neutron walks into a bar and says, “How much for a beer?” The bartender says, “For you? No charge.”

01010100011011110010000001100010011001010010000001 10111101110010001000000110111001101111011101000010 00000111010001101111001000000110001001100101001011 100010111000101110

Later: An atom walks into a bar an asks the bartender “Have you seen an electron? I left it in here last night.” The bartender says, “Are you sure?” The atom says, “I’m positive.”

4. - Top - End - #184
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Wow, another handful of entries right there! Props to the chefs and to the heroic ones who'll step up to judge.

I'm digging the Fire-themed concept, but I'd also suggest an "artificial creations" / "freaks of nature" round for a broader theme.
    Quote Originally Posted by MERC_1 View Post
    I find it very amusing that a very theoretical discussion of how to Optimize Bardic Music, turns into a discussion on how much worms you can eat in 7 minutes.

5. - Top - End - #185
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by tiri View Post
    villainous competition x had 12 submissions, actually. Although a full quarter of those were from jormengand.
    NO REGRETS! :p
    Last edited by Jormengand; 2016-10-11 at 05:11 PM.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Titan in the Playground

I'm finding it very amusing that the ad up top right now is for "Not a Villain" webcomic.

7. - Top - End - #187

oh no I still missed it crap it totally forgot

8. - Top - End - #188
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ywvbevlin View Post
    oh no I still missed it crap it totally forgot
    there's always next time.
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Iron Chef Medals!

9. - Top - End - #189
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

The builds that I didn't finish were based upon the four elements:

Air: pestilence
    Fire: famine
    Water: war
    Earth: death

I was going to use those chariot feats from sword and fist along with two trained zezirs for fire.

Here's my stub for war:
    Level Class Feats
    1 Cloistered Cleric water devotion, Mounted Combat, Saddleback
    2 Bear Totem Barbarian Improved grab
    3 Fighter 1 Mounted Fury, rideby attack
    4 Fighter 2 Tremendous charge
    5 Ranger 1 Track
    6 Cloistered Cleric planar touchstone: Heart of the Sea
    7 windrider 1
    8 windrider 2
    9 windrider 3 stalwart planar ally, IUS
    10 windrider 4
    11 windrider 5
    12 blackblood cultist 1 snow tiger berserker
    13 blackblood cultist 2
    14 blackblood cultist 3
    15 wind rider 6 spirited charge
    16 wind rider 7
    17 wind rider 8 extra rage
    18 wind rider 9
    19 wind rider 10

Mounted fury allows this guy to share the effects of his rage with his water devotion water elemental, which is empowered by planar touchstone + Stalwart planar ally. Black blood hunter gives the elemental bite and claw attacks, and snow tiger gives pounce. The only shaky part of this is allowing the same elemental to be summoned everytime to boost the HD via windrider.

The mount.
    HD Rider HD Elemental feats BAB ability scores Bonuses AC attacks
    1-5 Small: 2 1 Str 14, Dex 10, Con 13, Int 4, Wis 11, Cha 11 17 (+1 size, +6 natural) slam
    6 Medium:4 Martial weapon proficiency, PBS 3 Str 16, Dex 12, Con 17, Int 4, Wis 11, Cha 11 19 (+1 Dex, +8 natural)
    7 Medium:6 power attack 4 Str 18, Dex 12, Con 17, Int 4, Wis 11, Cha 11 23 (+1 Dex, +12 natural)
    8 Medium:8 6 Str 18, Dex 12, Con 17, Int 4, Wis 11, Cha 11 25 (+1 Dex, +14 natural)
    10 Medium:8 6 Str 18, Dex 12, Con 17, Int 4, Wis 11, Cha 11 25 (+1 Dex, +14 natural)
    11 Large:12 bloodspiked charger (12 HD), improved bullrush 7 Str 20, Dex 14, Con 19, Int 6, Wis 11, Cha 11 bonus +4 to its Armor Class and on saving throws for the duration 26 (-1 size, +2 Dex, +15 natural)
    13 Large:12 7 Str 20, Dex 14, Con 19, Int 6, Wis 11, Cha 11 bonus +4 to its Armor Class and on saving throws for the duration 26 (-1 size, +2 Dex, +15 natural) Slam, gain two claw attacks at your highest base attack bonus. Each claw deals 1d6 points of damage plus your Strength modifier. You can use a one-handed weapon and a claw, but when doing so the claw counts as a secondary weapon (adding only half your Strength bonus to damage, and with a -5 modifier on the attack roll).
    14 Large:12 7 Str 20, Dex 14, Con 19, Int 6, Wis 11, Cha 11 bonus +4 to its Armor Class and on saving throws for the duration 26 (-1 size, +2 Dex, +15 natural) slam, bite is your secondary weapon. The bite deals 1d4 points of damage plus half your Strength modifier. You can use a two-handed weapon with your bite as a secondary attack, or you can use a one-handed weapon with your claw and bite as secondary attacks.
    16 Huge:22 penetrating shot (15)Cometary collision (18) snatch 21 17 Str 28, Dex 18, Con 21, Int 6, Wis 11, Cha 11 bonus +4 to its Armor Class and on saving throws for the duration 29 (-2 size, +4 Dex, +17 natural)
    19 Huge: 24 19 Str 28, Dex 18, Con 21, Int 6, Wis 11, Cha 11 bonus +4 to its Armor Class and on saving throws for the duration 31 (-2 size, +4 Dex, +19 natural)

Name the Elemental "Weapon." Equip the water elemental with Called (+2000gp Magic Item Compendium p. 9) skillfull (+2 enhancement CA p.144) spiked armor, and a Called adamantine skillful adaptive (TOB) spiked Shield. The text for cometary collision says that you become a projectile, which is awesome because penetrating shot requires a projectile weapon. With snatch, the beast just collects a series of opponents in a 60' line into a giant grapple session.

10. - Top - End - #190
    Bugbear in the Playground

Planetar

I think Ooze type would be really hard, though I'm down to try for fire. I also think that some Fairy Tale theme would be pretty cool.
    Vincent Omnia Veritas
    Bandwagon Leader of the Hinjo Fanclub

11. - Top - End - #191
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by White Blade View Post
    I think Ooze type would be really hard, though I'm down to try for fire. I also think that some Fairy Tale theme would be pretty cool.
    Well, it wouldn't have to be an ooze type necessarily, just oozy somehow. I'm sure there would be loose reqs with multiple options like with horsemen to maximize variety.

Oo, fairy tale theme would be super cool. I'm assuming we'd need to be the "bad guy" but beyond that it could be nebulous (e.g. giant from jack and the beanstalk, witch from hansel and gretel, etc)

Iron Chef Medals!

12. - Top - End - #192
    Ettin in the Playground

We've done wicked witch, but we might do some fun stuff with the Mad King/Queen.
    Kolyarut Avatar by Potatocubed.
    Quote Originally Posted by willpell View Post
    Only playing Tier 1s is like only eating in five-star restaurants [...] sometimes I just want a cheeseburger and some frogurt. Why limit yourself?
    Awards

13. - Top - End - #193
    Barbarian in the Playground

The next competition should be entitled "Ooze"

Another idea is to use horror tropes: invasion of the body snatcher (must kill and replace people), critter from the black lagoon (must have swim speed, monstrous humanoid), Frankenstein (must be a created lifeform hellbent on destroying creator)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dire_Stirge View Post
    Alternative ideas:

-Optimize like a pirate day: all builds must be piratey. (perhaps best reserved for September, though)
    -Not Meant To Be: all builds must be related to aberrations or the far realm in some way.
    -Fright Night: all builds must have a fear theme. (maybe a halloween challenge?)
    -Down there: villains must be evil outsiders.
    Quote Originally Posted by WhamBamSam View Post
    Some stuff that I'd like to see...

1. Villains with particularly voracious evil appetites.
    2. "Terror of the Deep" for aquatic villains.
    3. Villains who are especially dangerous on their own home turf.

I'd be interested in the Ooze and Evil Outsider rounds as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    Lovecraftain horror is most definitely a round I would do my best to enter!

Other suggestions above are all good too.

My own suggestion:

- Elemental Themed villain (either a specific element, or elements in general)
    fire themed/air themed

Tiny horrors

But ooze is still my favorite
    Ideas from Villainous Competition XIII; reposting for consideration.
    Last edited by GnomishPride; 2016-10-14 at 08:21 PM.
    I do homebrew now, apparently!
    Oath of Asceticsim (5e Paladin Archetype)

14. - Top - End - #194
    Titan in the Playground

It is getting to be Halloween. It would be a good time for a Halloween-themed contest.

How about Frankenstein? It's a classic public domain movie monster. We've done necromancers, but I don't think we've really hit the "IT'S ALIVE!" trope yet.

15. - Top - End - #195
    Barbarian in the Playground

Current Idea List:
    Fire ("Some Entities Just Want to See the World Burn")
    Ooze ("You Ooze, You Lose")
    Artificial Creations
    Freaks of Nature
    Fairy Tales
    Halloween [Frankenstein? "It Lives!" Horror Tropes?]
    Pirates
    Fear [potentially Halloween]
    Evil Outsiders
    Evil Appetites
    Aquatic
    Home Ground Advantage
    Tiny Horrors
    (compiled from VC XIII and VC XV with the aim of getting a feel for what the community wants and perhaps sparking some cool new ideas. By no means a finalized list)
    I do homebrew now, apparently!
    Oath of Asceticsim (5e Paladin Archetype)

16. - Top - End - #196
    Titan in the Playground

Also from Villainous Competition II:
    Quote Originally Posted by Troacctid View Post
    The Technomancer: A villain who uses machines and gadgets to carry out his evil schemes.
    The Nightmare Lord: A villain who specializes in psychological warfare, using your own worst fears against you.
    The Identity Thief: A villain who wears your face while he's committing his evil deeds.
    The Necromancer: A villain who commands legions of undead servants.
    The Pyromaniac: A villain who just wants to watch the world burn. Literally.
    The Shadow Master: A villain themed around darkness and shadows.
    The Hivelord: A villain with an insect or swarm theme.
    The Elemental Master: Earth. Fire. Air. Water. Only this villain can master all four elements and bring balance...uh, I mean, destroy the world.
    I think so far we've only done one or two of these.

17. - Top - End - #197
    Titan in the Playground

Also from Villainous Competition II:

I think so far we've only done one or two of these.
    We've done Technomancer and Necromancer, so that makes two of them. Although the tech one had only one entry, which resulted in the last VC resigning.

Personally, I think Pyromancer is cool, as would be the Elements theme. In fact, maybe we could do the next one like this one and have people make entries for either a single element or all four.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

18. - Top - End - #198
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    We've done Technomancer and Necromancer, so that makes two of them. Although the tech one had only one entry, which resulted in the last VC resigning.

Personally, I think Pyromancer is cool, as would be the Elements theme. In fact, maybe we could do the next one like this one and have people make entries for either a single element or all four.
    That's a good idea, pick one of the elements for an "elemental" round. I think that contributed to the high turnout this round. a prixe fixe of four concepts isn't a bad idea for some of these since so many go together. for example:

frankenstein, creature from the black lagoon, body snatcher, or ooze for a halloween theme: classic non-scary movie monsters. though any of those would be just as good individually.

Iron Chef Medals!

19. - Top - End - #199
    Titan in the Playground

I think the more iconic horror movie monsters are Frankenstein, Dracula, Wolfman, Mummy, and Creature from the Black Lagoon.

20. - Top - End - #200
    Titan in the Playground

I think the more iconic horror movie monsters are Frankenstein, Dracula, Wolfman, Mummy, and Creature from the Black Lagoon.
    Funny, every time I see that last one I keep thinking of the Teacher from the Black Lagoon series.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

21. - Top - End - #201
    Titan in the Playground

Ooze would be interesting: I'd be willing to try that. Same for pyromaniac.

Horror movie monsters I like less. They're so iconic that many can be found within the game in some form already, and because the total number of possible builds is far less people are going to have similar entries. Besides, the Halloween date doesn't make too much sense: with judging and the subsequent delays it may very well be November before we even get started.
    Creator of the LA-assignment thread.

Come join the new Junkyard Wars and build with SLAs and a breath weapon!

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

22. - Top - End - #202
    Ogre in the Playground

Halloween theme seems very funny. For a more relaxed Villain, why not "Second-hand Halloween movie monster", with the most clichéd and well-known creatures ? :)

23. - Top - End - #203

I really want to do a pop culture one, if only because I've been keeping a build under my hat for months

Your time will come. Oh, yes, it will come...
    That's all I can think of, at any rate.

Quote Originally Posted by remetagross View Post
    All hail the mighty Strigon! One only has to ask, and one shall receive.

24. - Top - End - #204
    Titan in the Playground

sure. I was just pulling from the list of things people already asked for.

Iron Chef Medals!

25. - Top - End - #205
    Banned

Default Re: Famine (Dessicator)

Before you begin reading; this is just the base build, detailing base monsters and level progression.
    I plan on sending in a snapshot of CR 11 (IE, 7th druid level, when Natural Spell is taken and the first power spike occurs) and CR 20 (IE: 9th level of Verminlord, when the vermin companion caps out.) as well as details on backstory, fluff, and descriptions of both the villain and it's various mounts as it levels, later. (Probably tomorrow before I go to work.) I just wanted to get this out ASAP so you know that I'm making progress on this. (And also because I was running out of room for text)

To summarize the build, though: Plague of locusts+ combined with walking drought.
    I was just reading the Dessicator entry, and it occurs to me that maybe this part was supposed to be edited out before posting.

26. - Top - End - #206

SamuraiGuy

Hey guys, I'm 7/11 of the judging process done. My weekend was filled with unexpected guests, so I may be a little delayed in getting the post up.
    Longtime lurker, Infrequent poster.

Avalanche in Hell of the Improbability Drive Fan Club

27. - Top - End - #207
    Titan in the Playground

Lightbulb Re: Villainous Competition XV: The Horsemen Are Drawing Nearer

Quote Originally Posted by One Step Two View Post
    Hey guys, I'm 7/11 of the judging process done. My weekend was filled with unexpected guests, so I may be a little delayed in getting the post up.
    All good

...once judging is up, I'll hold the comp open for a couple days for disputes, then hopefully I can get the next comp posted before I go on break.

Still tossing up between Fire, Ooze, and the other suggestions. Not sure exactly what the reqs would be for an ooze round other than "be of the Ooze type".

28. - Top - End - #208
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

All good

...once judging is up, I'll hold the comp open for a couple days for disputes, then hopefully I can get the next comp posted before I go on break.

Still tossing up between Fire, Ooze, and the other suggestions. Not sure exactly what the reqs would be for an ooze round other than "be of the Ooze type".
    Depends if you are going for scariest ooze type monster or an ooze manipulating creature. Maybe must be comfortable around oozes and capable of specializing in at least one ooze related ability if not an ooze type. That way you include ooze riders, ooze masters, ooze summoners, ooze shapers, and ooze fanatics as well as oozes themselves.

29. - Top - End - #209
    Banned

I'd personally like to vote against any of the "You can't be a humanoid" rounds because they mean I have to deal with annoying monster rules which I'd rather not. Ooze is especially bad because I don't want to be a mindless blob of jelly.

30. - Top - End - #210
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

smile Re: Villainous Competition XV: The Horsemen Are Drawing Nearer

Quote Originally Posted by Jormengand View Post
    I'd personally like to vote against any of the "You can't be a humanoid" rounds because they mean I have to deal with annoying monster rules which I'd rather not. Ooze is especially bad because I don't want to be a mindless blob of jelly.
    Let's be real though, you would design one heck of a mindless blob of jelly.:)