A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Giant freaking robots.

The valentine is an old ship, but it works. Whatís more is that it still is fast enough to outrun most problems one would have in orbit these days. Its name is as old as the ship itself and the only reason it still caries it is that the name has been welded onto the hull with inch think letters. Originally a drop ship it consists of a thin hull spire with a think head for the cockpit and a think end for the thrusters. The spire is lined by 12 modular container holders, originally designed to carry containers it now holds the drop pods used for the mecha used by the unit. The placing of individual pods changes every now and then, so actually finding your mecha might be a problem once in a while. After a few shifts in ranks it seems the mercenaries now have settled on a distinctive group of pilots again. They now are all aboard together with their machines.

((onboard are about 40 men crew, engineers pilots and a captain, others roles can also be filled by your characters if you want, things like cook and stuff))
    Your Personal Undead

Other Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

by dr. bathand, Kpenguin and Fay Graydon

You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    -C. S. Lewis

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Re: Giant freaking robots.

Without any immediate work, Annastriana (you would know her by Ann) was sitting in her mech playing with the sensors as she regularly did. She flipped through the profiles of each of the boarded mecha for the hundreth time before finally putting her goggles on her head and heading out to her room after locking her mech. She wore her flak vest, combat boots, and camo pants as per usual. When she got into her room, she pulled out her harmonica and played some blues music, passing time before her orders came in
    Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

DrowGuy

It was not an image that Gerald Tighe liked to see. His precious baby, a Werewolf Transformable 'Mecha, lay dissected on the bay floor as technicians slowly pieced the war machine back together. "Oftentimes companies making transformable beast mecha go all out to eliminate any traces of the beast mecha form when they transform." the Chief Technician explained. "This puts god knows how much strain on the units. Luckily for you, it's not a hard modification to perform. It just gives the machine a more beast-like gait. You may want to take her out for a spin when we're done and get used to the gait and general movements. Once you're used to them, you should get the same degree of performance."

Tighe nodded vacantly. His mind was on other matters. "I see matters are well in hand here. I'm going to head to the bridge if you need me. I'm going to try to send a message out." The Technician waved and uttered "Good luck" and Gerald went on his way.

As Gerald made his way to the bridge he thought of his girlfriend, Erika. Erika tended to get lonely when he was away to long and had a score of friends. Some of them were the oily type that Gerald wouldn't trust any farther than he could throw his Werewolf.

What was he to do? He needed the money. His parents needed the money. Being comatose and badly wounded meant that someone else had to pay for the life support and Gerald did all that a duitiful son could. Still, there had to be some hope of making a big score soon.
    Last edited by plainsfox; 2007-07-11 at 05:22 PM. Reason: Forgot a sentance
    RIP Miko Miyazaki 120-464
    RIP Durkon Thundershield 1-877

Member of the Bureaucratic Deva fan club.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

Victor Sevornum

Spoiler
    Show

OOC: copy-pasted his appearance into my 1st IC post [it's an old habit I picked up to help everyone visualize him]

Victor Sevornum still maintains a fit build from his active life. He stands at about 5'11" and weighs around 180. Although he has pleasant-looking features, it is very uncommon to see him "made up". He has short black hair with long bangs he keeps parted in the middle, and he generally wears very casual clothes. Tee-shirts and jogging pants are common, but when he's on duty he will dress as plainly as he can get away with. An undistinguished olive-drab flight suit is his outfit-of-choice for missions, and when required to wear his formal uniform he wears nothing more than his nameplate and current rank.

Victor has a very light tan that comes naturally, and a very photographic angular jaw and chin. Many who know him joke that he'd be a good looking guy if he'd ever smile, but his facial expressions are short-lived at best. He has inherited the rich amethyst eyes of his mother that seem to compliment his seemingly constant state of pensiveness.

*Beep-beep* A small flash of light illuminates the interior of the common room for a split-second. Turning his camera up to see the digital image he has captured, the photo of a few of the crew sitting at a table dining and talking glows on the screen. This catches the attention of a few of them, who turn to look and seem somewhat unsurprised to see Victor standing several feet away. There are a few mutters about "that weirdo army shrink" and they go back to their dealings.

It's not a bad one, Victor thinks to himself. Paying the men no more attention, he brushes his dark bangs back to the sides of his face and begins to exit the common room to head towards the rear of the ship. On occasion when he passes another person he will attempt to snap a picture of them if he believes that they won't notice until it's too late to react.
    Last edited by TheGreatJabu; 2007-07-10 at 09:11 PM.
    "This man wishes to be accorded the same privilege as a sponge!" - Henry Drummond, Inherit the Wind

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Darin Frost

Toolkit, Toolkit where could I've left it..., Darin thought as he navigated the halls.

Having only joined the crew a month ago, he still had trouble finding things in the interior of the Valentine. Not to say he didn't often lose things anyway. Walking aimlessly throughout the ship he continued to search, stopping in engineering, the storage area, the common area, and even in the medic facilities.

Still no luck, eh? Maybe someone else has seen it.

Hearing music coming from down the hall, he politely knocks on Ann's door.
    "Sorry to bug ya Ann, but have you seen my toolkit laying around? I thought it was in engineering but now its gone. Without it I can't modify the GES emitters on the V-1"
    Old Avatar by Doran Liadon. Current Avatar from System Default

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Annastirana

Ann heard the knock and put her harmonica in a breast pouch at her heart. She clambered from the corner she was sitting in and swung the door open rather abruptly. she hung on the door and gave Darin a quizical look
    "Your toolkit? no, but if you ask nicely you can use mine. I can get it from the mech I drive."
    What kind of idiot loses a toolkit? Was the first thing that ran through her head as she looked at him
    And why does everyone feel there mech needs a name, anyway? Was the second
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Darin
    "Nah, don't worry about it. I think I'll take a look around for a bit more. Thanks anyway." With a nod goodbye and a slight turn he continues down the hall.

Ann's comment,however, got him to thinking, maybe I left it in the mech. Probably should've looked there in the first place.

Turning around once more, Darin heads towards the mecha storage area in search of the kit. After all, the job wasn't going to get itself done if he just left it alone.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Annastriana

"Alright, good luck to ya" she said as she closed the door and went back to her corner. She pulled out her harmonica and went back to playing the same song.
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #9

Victor Sevornum

Victor hears speaking coming from further down the hall - a man and a woman - and sees someone exitting a room. It's a man with average height and build and mussy brown hair.

One of the mechanics? No, I think it's one of the other mecha pilots. From the way he keeps glancing around at the ground, I'd say he's looking for something. That'd make a great shot...

Without hesistation, Victor brings his camera to bear once again. *Beep-beep*
    Last edited by TheGreatJabu; 2007-07-12 at 11:54 AM.
    "This man wishes to be accorded the same privilege as a sponge!" - Henry Drummond, Inherit the Wind

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Darin
    "Huh? whoa!," exclaims Darin as he nearly stumbles over his own feet. The hallway was the last place he expected to have his picture taken. Looking up with a chuckle and a smile while extending his hand in greeting he says,

"Hi there. Darin Frost. You wouldn't have happened to see a tool kit laying around anywhere, would you?"

Another pilot? Great, now I feel like more of an idiot than before. Seems like whenever I'm not working I'm a total clutz.

---------------------------------------------------
    OC: Sorry for the delay, works been slightly busier the past few days.

11. - Top - End - #11

Victor Sovernum

Victor seems to take no note of Darin's stumbling. He glances down at the image of the picture on the preview screen. Hmm. You can really see that this guy is reaching out for something. Very somber energy flow. It's good.

Looking back up, Victor speaks in a very plain (almost monotone) voice. The lack of emotion or variation in his speech is almost robotic. "Victor Sovernum." Shake his hand, people seem to like that. It's a very strange gesture - the symbolism seems to be lost on most people. Victor holds out his right hand to be shaken.

Victor then lifts his camera up in his left hand and begins pressing a few buttons with his thumb. "You see, I don't recall seeing any tools about. However, human memory is far from perfect, so let's check a few of these images." Pictures are so much simpler, more efficient, than real life.

After a few moments of scrolling, Victor stops. "Here we go. Is this them sitting on that table in the Commons room?"
    Last edited by TheGreatJabu; 2007-07-19 at 11:06 AM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Darin
    Nice to meet you Victor replies Darin while shaking the man's hand.

After taking a few moments to view the picture he says"Actually, that's Marlo's toolkit from navigation. She was doing some maintenance on the bridge earlier and was taking a break in the common area. My kit is a little smaller and contains tools for circuitry work. It's probably in my mech's cockpit so I figure I'll check there."

Pausing a moment to look again at the picture he continues

"This is a good shot here, have you been working with cameras for long?".

13. - Top - End - #13

Victor Sovernum

Victor nods thoughtfully when Darin explains about the toolkit in the picture. Lots of tools laying around this place. Who can blame them? If there was a simple device that could repair people, I'm sure it'd be strewn about just as much.

When asked about his photography, Victor looks down at the camera and begins flipping through old shots, seeming to pay great attention to each before he changes.

"Had a bit of an epiphany dealing with cameras back in my university days. Picked up the hobby then, but haven't practiced as much as I'd like." He looks up from the camera and starts making direct eye contact with Darin again. "The military seems to have a bit of a problem with unapproved taking of snapshots of the base, personnel, and whatnot. And here I thought that I seemed like a trustworthy guy."

If his tone had changed at all, you would have imagined that he was making a joke.
    Last edited by TheGreatJabu; 2007-07-19 at 05:27 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Halfling in the Playground

Yuri Kane

Turning off the viewscreen, Yuri cursed to himself as he put a pale hand on his forehead,

How am I going to come up with that kind of money in such a short time? Chisato said that unless I can get that money together they're going to evict us. As much as I don't want to admit it but it seems I'm going to have to work here even longer.

Throwing on a light shirt, Yuri left his room, his anger could almost be felt rolling off him.
    Harry Potter d20

Its a rule of the Net, the more arguments you get into revolving around politics or religion is inversely related to how hard you try not to get involved with them.

"What's wrong with you?"
    "Me? Why I'm insane!"

Thanks to Deimy for the Shinji pic

Yuri's Theme Song Yuri's Fight Song

15. - Top - End - #15

Rob
    Spoiler
    Show

Rob is a touch under six feet, with short brown hair in a nondiscript haircut. his eyes are brown as well, and his skin is tanned, but not excessively so. he normally wears his blue-gray one piece mech jumpsuit.

Robert North sat in his room. reading the football results His team was 2-nil down. When was the manager just going to admit that Smith wasn't a striker and shove him back in midfield where he belonged? and 2-nil down to to bleeding United, no less. Christian was going to be unsufferable now.

The sound of a harmonica drifted gently though the wall of his compartment (the inteiror walls of the crew compartments did little to dampen sound. He'd sworn he'd heard Nicola singing in the shower a few times, and she was near 4 rooms down the row). Annastriana (odd name, but nice.) was playing agian, a blues piece, expressing, like all blues, sorrow. Rob closed his eyes and listened for a few seconds, before picking his guitar off the wall, slung it over his shoulder lefted his room and knocked on her door.

"Anna? It's Rob. Mind if we play together?"
    Last edited by Storm Bringer; 2007-07-21 at 08:34 AM.
    Then it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an` Tommy, 'ow's yer soul? "
    But it's " Thin red line of 'eroes " when the drums begin to roll
    The drums begin to roll, my boys, the drums begin to roll,
    O it's " Thin red line of 'eroes, " when the drums begin to roll.

"Tommy", Rudyard Kipling

16. - Top - End - #16
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Salee

People make too much noise around here. Salee thought idly as he wandered through the halls of the Valentine. Just as he turned a corner, Yuri brushed past him in a huff. "Man, what's your problem?" Salee said with a detatched interest, "Your mom stop sending you her homebaked?"

Appearance:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Salee is considered handsome by many. His green hair he keeps neatly combed back, he is fit and thin, and despite being a mechanic he never seems to get grease or dirt all over himself, or his nice clothes. He isnít tall, but he is tall enough for most, and his face is well featured. What really does it for many, however, is his eyes. The color in his eye seems to shift as he turns his head and the light strikes them differently. Even if he stays still his eyes donít appear to have uniform color.
    Last edited by averagejoe; 2007-07-28 at 04:14 PM.

Sweet Friendship Jayne avatar by Crown of Thorns

17. - Top - End - #17
    Orc in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Darin
    "It's probably because they don't know you yet," chuckles Darin.

"Heck, one guy was screaming I was a spy from Mars when I first joined. Give it a little time and they'll warm up to you. If you should ever need help finding something around the ship, let me know."

Pausing a moment he continues, "Unless it should be something like a toolkit, then I can't help you," he finishes with a smile.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Orc in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Darin
    Well, it was nice meeting you Victor. I need to get back to work before another mission comes up. Seeya around

Now, if I remember right the mech hangers are down the hall to the left...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Spoiler
    Show

Name: Darin Frost
    Hair Color: Brown
    Hair Style: Slightly Messy
    Eye Color: Hazel-Green
    Height: 5'11
    Weight: 180
    Last edited by Fisher; 2007-07-27 at 10:11 AM.

19. - Top - End - #19

Rob

Anna either hadn't heard him or wasn't intrested in playing with him. Rob decided to check in on his mech crew, who were trying to track down a Gyro fault. Walking down the corridor he saw one of the new Pilots heading towards the portside mech bays.

".....Darin, right?" he asked, fumbling for the name.

"Tommy", Rudyard Kipling

20. - Top - End - #20
    Orc in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Turning around, Darin replies "Yes Mr. North, what can I do for you?"

Darin had originally been introduced to Rob a few weeks back while working on his mech in the hangers. The pilot had helped him find his way around engineering.

"You play the guitar, Mr. North? I'm surprised that there's so many musicians on board the Valentine. I heard Ann playing her harmonica earlier as well,"said Darin after noticing the guitar in Rob's hand.

----------------------------------------------------
    Ooc: Ad libbed a little about the past few weeks Stormbringer. Hope that's alright, can change if needed.
    Last edited by Fisher; 2007-07-28 at 11:21 AM.

21. - Top - End - #21

Rob

"Please, Call be Rob. Mr. North makes me feel like a old man or an Officer." Rob answered, smiling.
    "As to the number of Musicians aboard, thier is really not a lot to do between missions when your hundreds of kilometers form anything, much less anyone. People just pick up a hobby to stop themselves going Ga Ga with boredom. You got a hobbie?"

Rob really didn't know the newest pilots anything like as well as he wanted to. If nothing else, he'd like to have half a clue what sort of person was going to out thier covering his arse in their next mission.
    Last edited by Storm Bringer; 2007-07-28 at 11:36 AM.

"Tommy", Rudyard Kipling

22. - Top - End - #22

A hellish sound can be heard toughout the whole ship, at first it sounds something like metal over metal but it soon deforms into the normal sound of a buzzer. It stops and is followed by a stern voice of a woman. ďAll pilots report to ops directly, and I mean directly. All engineers get your mecha up and running within 15 minutes. We are moving out Ē The creaking of the com stops for a second then the woman ads ďand technical, get that buzzer fixed.Ē A little later the ship shudders into movement. As it starts leaving its orbital position.
    Your Personal Undead

Other Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

by dr. bathand, Kpenguin and Fay Graydon

You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    -C. S. Lewis

23. - Top - End - #23

"well, i hope they got that gyro fixed, cos i sure can't hop into battle." Rob mused, then turned to Darin

"C'mon, mate, lets find out who we shooting at and who we shooting for"

Rob set off to the briefing room.
    Last edited by Storm Bringer; 2007-07-28 at 02:34 PM.

"Tommy", Rudyard Kipling

24. - Top - End - #24
    Pixie in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Jeremy Poole is a young white male about 17 years old with messy black hair and green eyes.
    He almost always wear a mechanics jumpsuit as pants with the arms ties around the waist and a black shirt. He doesn't care to much how he looks and has smudges of oil all over himself more often than not.

Jeremy comes running from mechanics towards ops, when he runs past Rob and Darin he slows down to their speed.
    "Robert! You have no idea how lucky you are, We just finished repairing your gyro, the other mec's are getting the armor into place as we speak."
    Jeremy looks at Rob's hands. "Are you sure you should bring that?" He nudges his head towards the guitar.

((Epic color choice!))
    Last edited by eex; 2007-07-28 at 03:35 PM.

25. - Top - End - #25

"Thank god for that. Tell Caroline I'll give her a proper thankyou after we get back. and as for this..." Rob held up the guitar in his hand."this guitar" He bagan "Has been to Mars, Venus, half the warzones on or off this planet...And the cockpit of my mech when it was in combat. I think I might as well ad the Ops room to list"

(ooc: Caroline is Robs mechanic, as well as his girlfriend)

"Tommy", Rudyard Kipling

26. - Top - End - #26
    Orc in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Darin
    "Sounds like a plan Rob, lets get going" Darin replies while rubbing one temple, hoping the buzzing in his head will subside. Following down the hall Darin keeps pace, continuing when the two meet up with Jeremy.

Guess I'll have to find that toolkit later then.
    Last edited by Fisher; 2007-07-28 at 11:54 PM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Salee

The alarm broke Salee loose from his thoughts. Without thinking (which, despite his intelligence, was generally how he did everything) Salee sprinted toward ops, knocking past anyone who was going slower or getting into his way.

((edited appearance into first post, by the way.))

Sweet Friendship Jayne avatar by Crown of Thorns

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zilp

Zilp woke up from deep thought at the sound of the buzzer, running out of the room. He looks around in confusion, looking for the way to the mech bay.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Halfling in the Playground

Yuri

Spoiler
    Show
    Yuri stand 6'5" and keeps his silverish white hair at a close crew cut. He tends to wear a gray jumpsuit, but with the top part loose and tied around his waist. He also wears a white knit short tee which has seen some wear and tear

Turning to answer Seele all Yuri got out before the alarm was

"Why don't yo-"

At which point Yuri breaks off into a slow jog towards ops

Spoiler
    Show
    Sorry, been away from my computer and haven't been able to post
    Harry Potter d20

Its a rule of the Net, the more arguments you get into revolving around politics or religion is inversely related to how hard you try not to get involved with them.

"What's wrong with you?"
    "Me? Why I'm insane!"

Thanks to Deimy for the Shinji pic

Yuri's Theme Song Yuri's Fight Song

30. - Top - End - #30
    Orc in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Darin
    Half-sprinting down the hallway and through the common room, Darin notices the kit leaning against the far wall.

So that's were it is. Wonder what it's doing here...

Retrieving the kit and rejoining the others, he exits the common room, enters another hallway, and then turns left into tactical.

Seems like the others have yet to catch up. Hey Rob, Tactical is Ops... right?