Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default [D&D 3.5] Swordpoints, Storms and Stars OOC

Welcome one and all, to yet another game of epic adventure!

Our heroes:
    Natali Kulenov played by Ghostfoot;
    Hilata Muirgan played by J-H
    Thrastrulim Hammerfoot played by Aparator al Zei
    Sara played by Samduke;

The IC thread.

This being said, let's talk about posting:

I ask that all of you make a commitment to post regularly. That means that people should be posting roughly every 48 hours, give or take few hours. I'll do the same! If something has come up, that's totally fine. Real life always comes first. All I ask is that you please let me know as soon as you can. Send me a message or post here in the OOC if you must, but don't just drop off the map.

The combat in d&d is where PbP goes to die, or so I heard. To make it little faster and avoid waiting, we will be using group initative: I'll roll for you and average the results.
    Last edited by Pol Detson; 2016-09-27 at 12:19 PM.
    DM: Swordpoints, Storms and Stars IC | OOC

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [D&D 3.5] Swordpoints, Storms and Stars

Great! I'll take Blue.

I assumed Lentrax would be one of the players, but it looks like he didn't get his sheet finished, based on the discussion in Recruitment. Too bad.

If I go past 12 hours without posting when it's my turn, I've overlooked something. I'm running a 2-posts-a-game day so I should be on a lot.

Hilata Muirgen, Beguiler

3. - Top - End - #3

Link to IC thread, the adventure begins!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

If you don't mind a suggestion - as the DM, it speeds things up substantially if you make the passive rolls, instead of waiting for every player to post their own rolls.

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by J-H View Post
    If you don't mind a suggestion - as the DM, it speeds things up substantially if you make the passive rolls, instead of waiting for every player to post their own rolls.
    Ok, it's good suggestion. Also, if it was unclear from first paragraph - you are still few hours from Mist. There is turn in the road and you don't know what is next and the question is: do you go forward, send someone to scout or try to avoid it by travelling through forest. Or something more, I strongly believe in players' creativity

The spot and listen checks made by me: the forest is quite, as if all animals and birds got scared away. What's more:

Spoiler: Natali Kulenov
    Show
    There is someone watching from nearby tree, no more than two dozen feet to your left..
    Last edited by Pol Detson; 2016-09-25 at 03:39 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Pol Detson View Post
    Choice, happy to be here! 48 hours is a good turnaround time for posting for me.

Natali will speak in navy, if that's not too annoyingly close to blue.

And also just to add to the passive effects to be aware of, Natali's destrier has the scent ability.

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostfoot View Post
    And also just to add to the passive effects to be aware of, Natali's destrier has the scent ability.
    Ok, I'll keep track of it from now on.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

First I would like to say thank you Pol Detson for choosing me to play in your game. I only hope that Thrastrulim Hammerfoot turns out to be everything you were looking for in your game. With that in mind, posting once a day should not be a problem to me, there are the family nights at my house where the family comes over and we all eat dinner and watch a movie, but besides those days I should easily be able to meet your minimum requirement when it comes to posting.

To my fellow players as you are aware I will be playing a dwarven crafter who in a few levels will be gaining Craft Magic Arm's and Armor so I would not invest a fortune into such things if we do not have to this way when I gain the ability to begin crafting I will be able to do all the work for roughly half the cost meaning we will thankfully get a little more bang for our buck, or in this case gp. I would like to play Thrastrulim as more of a gung ho front liner cleric wading into battle with the others, though saying he is slower it will be more like charging into battle. If you have any requests though I am always open to listening if the party believes as a whole that my character should instead be more of a support role that comes into the fray a round or two after the others, after all he is a dwarf so it would show how he is slower to react than the other members of his party.

Lastly here is Thrastrulim Hammerfoot character sheet, and if possible I would like to claim the color Saddle Brown to show his connection to the earth and such.
    Unghiurile de Nord și unghiuri de Sud . La est la vest auzi strigăt mea . Proteja pe cei care îi iubesc atât de mult , de a proteja cele pe care le numesc prietenii mei , Protejați cele pe care le numesc familia mea . Protejați-le toate aruncat în această seară . Amin .

-Orginal Quote made by myself when I was a boy, a prayer to protect all that which matters to me.-

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateWench

Quote Originally Posted by Pol Detson View Post

Our heroes:
    Natali Kulenov played by Ghostfoot;
    Hilata Muirgan played by J-H
    Thrastrulim Hammerfoot played by Aparator al Zei
    Sara played by Samduke;

The IC thread.

This being said, let's talk about posting:

I ask that all of you make a commitment to post regularly. That means that people should be posting roughly every 48 hours, give or take few hours. I'll do the same! If something has come up, that's totally fine. Real life always comes first. All I ask is that you please let me know as soon as you can. Send me a message or post here in the OOC if you must, but don't just drop off the map.

The combat in d&d is where PbP goes to die, or so I heard. To make it little faster and avoid waiting, we will be using group initative: I'll roll for you and average the results.
    okay so I did not see a link to my character on the first post so here it is Sara

as for the 48 hour posting bit I will attempt to do so, but for the record I have RL stuff every fri,sat,sun that may cause 48 hour issues

and with that I will have sara speak in Purple if that works for everyone

10. - Top - End - #10

Quote Originally Posted by samduke View Post
    as for the 48 hour posting bit I will attempt to do so, but for the record I have RL stuff every fri,sat,sun that may cause 48 hour issues
    It won't cause too much problems.

11. - Top - End - #11

Aparator al Zei, it's rather wet and muddy, so it's may be problematic to use this crystal to start fire without preparing dry wood or using oil (if you have it). But your thinking is sound - goblin for sure couldn't move far..
    Last edited by Pol Detson; 2016-09-28 at 01:43 AM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

I was going to get the warhorse to root it out with the scent ability, but with standard combat training it's not trained to "seek" and to try to push it to would be a DC25 Handle Animal check well beyond my abilities

"Combat Riding... : An animal trained to bear a rider into combat knows the tricks attack, come, defend, down, guard, and heel."

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Well thats depressing that it got away, though I still think we could have stopped it if we ran ahead of it with our faster player, while cutting off all other ways to run, me in the back because I move so slow

Nice teamwork though everyone, I look forward to seeing what we can accomplish when battle really happens, and with the smell of blood in the air I will be relying on all of you.

@DM If this encounter is over now may I create my characters spell list, and could you post what books are allowed here so I do not go into material that is not allowed, like Book of Exalted Deeds for example.
    Unghiurile de Nord și unghiuri de Sud . La est la vest auzi strigăt mea . Proteja pe cei care îi iubesc atât de mult , de a proteja cele pe care le numesc prietenii mei , Protejați cele pe care le numesc familia mea . Protejați-le toate aruncat în această seară . Amin .

-Orginal Quote made by myself when I was a boy, a prayer to protect all that which matters to me.-

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aparator al Zei View Post
    Well thats depressing that it got away, though I still think we could have stopped it if we ran ahead of it with our faster player, while cutting off all other ways to run, me in the back because I move so slow

Nice teamwork though everyone, I look forward to seeing what we can accomplish when battle really happens, and with the smell of blood in the air I will be relying on all of you.
    Oh I wasn't retreating back. I figured that your dwarf had moved up to where the knight was, in order to be swinging the hammer around like that trying to find it.

Anyways, no bother. It's a goblin, there will be more. Lot's more! I love a good old D&D goblin-bashing excursion

15. - Top - End - #15

@Aparator al Zei, it came down mostly to luck - goblin saved on will with weak + 2 and then luck was on it side on both hide checks against 4 of you.

@DM If this encounter is over now may I create my characters spell list, and could you post what books are allowed here so I do not go into material that is not allowed, like Book of Exalted Deeds for example.
    Yes, you may. Allowed: Spell Compendium and recruitment books. I almost never use spells outside SpC, but if you find something interesting in other books, just mark the source on sheet.
    Last edited by Pol Detson; 2016-09-28 at 12:45 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

I will do, also saying we are talking about mounts (and I just got done watching the Hobbit: Battle of the five armies, how difficult would it be for me to get a dire boar trained to ride on? Sir Hammerfoot atop his mighty steed Stonehocks the rampaging boar of Moradin.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateWench

I will do, also saying we are talking about mounts (and I just got done watching the Hobbit: Battle of the five armies, how difficult would it be for me to get a dire boar trained to ride on? Sir Hammerfoot atop his mighty steed Stonehocks the rampaging boar of Moradin.
    a dwarf riding a dire boar/ or dire wolf would be interesting

18. - Top - End - #18

If Sir Hammerfoot returns safely to Lyrabar and claim monetary compensation for all the trouble with Mist.. yeah, I can see his buying trained dire boar.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

That sounds fair, Sir Hammerfoot and his noble steed Irontusk shall ride into the history books.

Edit I have added a spell list to my character now, most of the spells are from the SpC or Player's Handbook. However I did take one from Complete Champion. It is called Interfaith Blessing and has a different effect for each deity worshiped. For Example Moradin who I worship Grants a +2 bonus to AC. It effects all allies within a 20ft. radius burst meaning most of the time I should be able to give everyone that small bonus.

I was also reading over the spell soften earth and stone and read an interesting part for us players. If the ground is already wet I can make it worse, which would give us 50ft. square of terrain that enemies are 4ft. deep in mud and can not move or do anything for 1d2 rounds, and even if they do pass their reflex save vs the mud, it is still difficult terrain so they can not run through it (so no charging), and it counts as double movement meaning if we have a fortified position we are trying to defend we have a few options.
    Last edited by Aparator al Zei; 2016-09-28 at 11:29 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Hello again everyone, I just wanted to let everyone know that I will be sleeping out at a friends house tomorrow night so I can not promise that I will be able to post tomorrow.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

Edit I have added a spell list to my character now, most of the spells are from the SpC or Player's Handbook. However I did take one from Complete Champion. It is called Interfaith Blessing and has a different effect for each deity worshiped. For Example Moradin who I worship Grants a +2 bonus to AC. It effects all allies within a 20ft. radius burst meaning most of the time I should be able to give everyone that small bonus.
    Sounds good, I'm sure it will be most welcome. For Natali, worshiping Ilmater (= Pelor equivalent) will also give her +2 AC.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

The way I see it at low levels critical hits are a death sentence, even at level 5 for casters (though clerics are a bit beefier than wizards and sorcerers). So while you can not stop a natural 20 from being rolled every now and then, you can stop any critical from being confirmed with a high enough AC. And for 5 minutes a day without total defense Hammerfoot is at 25 AC, 23 for five hours of the day. I can boost it up slightly more, but not enough for it to matter a great deal. And as I will be capping out at 4th level cleric spells most of the better ones will remain unattained. Though the small ones I have will always be useful.

23. - Top - End - #23

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostfoot View Post
    @Pol Detson, when you say the party is "a few hours from Mist" can we still likely make it before things start to get too dark or are we pretty sure now that we're going to get caught out travelling past twilight into the hours of darkness?
    It's past nightfall already as my previous IC post indicated. Plus, you did travel whole day, so I'll be rolling using forced march rules. Might be tough, but you'll make it in (at?) morning. And you do have a cleric, so using cure wounds could come in handy to avoid fatigue.
    Last edited by Pol Detson; 2016-09-30 at 01:41 PM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Well forced march plus not sleeping would be exhaustion, that would be at the very least Lesser restoration spells. And if I only prepared that then almost all of my spells would be used up just making sure the party didn't suffer side effects of being a forced march. I was under the impression when the game began that we had some time before the sun set, as combat lasts seconds I don't see how it randomly became dark out.

Basically we are given the choice camp out make a huge bonfire that says people who killed these guys this is where we are, or force our way to a village that may be under the control of the enemy and waste all my spells which I won't have until I pray, making sure we don't suffer from something we as players had no control over. That doesn't exactly seem fair.

25. - Top - End - #25

Basically we are given the choice camp out make a huge bonfire that says people who killed these guys this is where we are, or force our way to a village that may be under the control of the enemy and waste all my spells which I won't have until I pray, making sure we don't suffer from something we as players had no control over. That doesn't exactly seem fair.
    First, surprisingly, players don't have control over challenges! Our heroes may fight against seemingly overwhelming odds! In other news, this game is called D&D.. ok, let me be serious for a moment. I am quite confident as a DM with some experience that this story is not even half as lethal as Red Hand of Doom. I am not a looking for ways to make you suffer. If it was a super-hard campaign I would give you a warning in recruitment thread.

Second, you did fail to capture and interrogate CR 1 goblin scout. It does mean that he may alarm larger group of baddies. It makes your life harder; but this is dice gods' doing.

Third, I do believe you have more choices than just two. Getting off the road and making camp in the forest, for example. Getting creative and masking your passage may be good idea.

Last, you don't need lesser restoration, you need to heal nonlethal hp. Check the rules I linked.

So, my players - what do you want to do?
    Last edited by Pol Detson; 2016-10-02 at 04:07 AM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

Well, as you say, it's D&D.

If the village is still 8+ hours away, traveling through pitch-black forest inhabited by murderous goblins maybe it's no longer the sensible choice to carry on & get jumped.

I'd be keen to take the fight to them somehow, as long as it doesn't look suicidal. Fighting is fun! Either a) track them to their lair & try to get an idea of what we face or b) try to ambush the ambushers hereabouts once the scout comes back with his buddies.

Thoughts?

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Forced Marching rules are only half of the equation. The rules for exhaustion happening (which I am not able to find at the moment) include if you do not sleep (get your 8 hours) you become exhausted which is a -6 to just about everything. So while I can cure the fatigue as you pointed out, the exhaustion requires sleep.

Than their are the rules for getting lost in the DMG which is a survival check DC 15 just for it being near a forest, and would be higher due to it being dark out.

As for our options, if we do a forced march we either get to town fatigued and exhausted (one of which I can cure) or we could get attacked by the ambushers who got the other group that went traveling through here.

Or we could set up a camp which if we want any chance of seeing our enemies will require a fire for the rest of the party to see with. If we have a fire the ambushers know exactly where to go, and it comes down to the spot check of whoever is on guard duty versus whoever is attacking. Saying its nighttime, they will no doubt use the woods for cover as much as they can and such chances are our spot checks do not stand a chance.

So that leaves what Ghostfoot suggested, track them to their home (if we do not have someone with the track feat we can not do though we may get lucky) and potentially fight their entire bulk and die. Or set up an ambush which relies on us seeing them, before they see us. As they are creatures that can see in the dark they have the advantage over people who are trying to ambush the ambushers who need the campfire to see. Meaning all the best hiding spots within the campfire sight will be the first places our enemies go to get the jump on us. If we are spread out that means we wouldn't even know that the other players are having their necks slit as it happens.

So anyone have a way to light the forest on fire, we don't need to worry about anything besides a rampaging horde of animals and stuff coming out to kill us then? As you see, from the choices given all of them are not exactly feasible. The best chance we have is Ghostfoot's idea to ambush the ambusher and that is 50-50 that it will work without any of us dying.

28. - Top - End - #28

Forced Marching rules are only half of the equation. The rules for exhaustion happening (which I am not able to find at the moment) include if you do not sleep (get your 8 hours) you become exhausted which is a -6 to just about everything. So while I can cure the fatigue as you pointed out, the exhaustion requires sleep.

Than their are the rules for getting lost in the DMG which is a survival check DC 15 just for it being near a forest, and would be higher due to it being dark out.
    Aparator, I am kind of confused. It's my first PbP, so I am not entirely sure how to respond. Risking exhaustion is kind of normal thing in D&D campaigns as per DMG rules and examples. Is there a problem with it I don't see?

FWIW, there is absolutely no core RAW on going without sleep except as how it affects regaining spells, and how certain races need less/no sleep. Silly, but there it is. Common sense is to apply Fatigue/Exhaustion, but when, how often, how ability scores and other factors come into play etc. are all things that are left to DM discretion.

Second point, you do have a road leading straight to your destination, why on earth would I require you to roll Survival?

As for rest of your post.. What is going to happens depend on your (the players) choices

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

How far are we from the village?

30. - Top - End - #30

Around 8 hour give or take an hour if you're marching.