Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default [D&D 3.5] Swordpoints, Storms and Stars IC

Cold winds swept the road, heralding distant storms on Sea of Fallen Stars. Last rays of lights painted in scarlet the twilight-sky blue firmament. Road twisting and turning in and out of Grey Forest was the shortest way for four travelling Swordpoints, a day from Lyrabar and few hours from village called Mist.

Mist, a small hub for woodsmen, hunters and traders, was overdue on taxes and shrouded by lack of communication. The village was known as ‘the last safe place’ in Grey Forest, its high palisade providing safety from goblins and more monstrous inhabitants of Grey Forest.

Cold winds swept the road, carrying faint metallic smell. Faint, but unmistakable for those who live by the sword.

Blood.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

If you like, you may roll for Gather Information to learn more about Mist - it will reflect asking around Lyrabar before you hit the road.

Listen and spot checks, please. The road ahead turns out of direct sight, the skies darken by the minutes..
    DM: Swordpoints, Storms and Stars IC | OOC

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [D&D 3.5] Swordpoints, Storms and Stars IC

Hilata

"Blood has been spilled. I don't know what we'll find, but it won't be good. I grew up in a town like this... I hope most of the people are okay."

Spoiler
    Show

K: Local (1d20+8)[23]
    Spot (1d20+1)[8]
    Listen (1d20+1)[7]

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Natali

Her fond thoughts of her recent brief visit to her mother and sister in Lyrabar left far behind on the road, Natali is focused on he darkening woods about the group as they travelled. Her old warhorse snorted loudly, a sure sign it had sensed something out-of-the-ordinary. Moments later the faint metallic tang of blood was discernible to her. Looking carefully about she called to her three companions "'Ware, there's blood on the air". Her breath steamed in the cold air as she drew her longsword.

She can't see much with the road twisting through the gloomy forest ahead, but she spies a figure in the trees nearby "Halt. You there, show yourself!"

Spoiler: Active spot check
    Show
    Rolling an additional active perception check to see if she can make out any more details of the figure.

Spot (1d20+1)[15]

Also, Gather Information (if still relevant) for Mist (1d20+3)[9]

Natali Kulenov
    F Lawful Good Human (Damaran) Knight 5, Level 5, Init 2, HP 53/53, Speed 30ft
    AC 21, Touch 12, Flat-footed 19, Fort 4, Ref 3, Will 5, Base Attack Bonus 5
    +1 Longsword +9 (1d8+4, 19-20/ x2)
    MW Composite longbow (+3 Str bonus) (20 standard arrows) +8 (1d8+3, x3)
    +1 Breastplate, +1 Heavy wooden shield (+6 Armor, +3 Shield, +2 Dex)
    Abilities Str 16, Dex 14, Con 16, Int 10, Wis 12, Cha 16
    Condition Fearless (immune to fear)
    Bulwark of defence (all threatened squares are difficult terrain for foes that start their turn threatened by me)
    Vigilant defender (+5 DC to attempt to Tumble past me)

Warhorse: scent, low-light vision
    Last edited by Ghostfoot; 2016-09-25 at 04:45 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4

The figure move the second after Natali's shout. The knight glimpse green face and small frame, a goblin! It jumps, deftly avoiding breaking bones and run into the forest; a few moments and it'll vanishing from sight!

Show

Goblin has concealment and it's around 40 ft from you. The forest count as difficult terrain for purpose of movement.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Hilata
    Hilata steps towards the goblin. A small glow appears around her hand for a moment. "Halt!"

Spoiler
    Show

5' step to hit 35' distance; Daze, Will DC 13 or lose its next turn, as long as the goblin is 4HD or fewer.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

What an odd company the group seemed to make walking down the dirt roads, while others road atop large horses, yet among the humans, it was the small dwarf that made it such an odd sight. Seeing a knight traveling with other humans less armored could mean many things to a traveler, but a dwarf in the company of three other humans, now that was a story worth telling no doubt.

It was made all the more amusing by the clanking sound that sounded upon each step the shortest of all his companions made, cursing every few seconds as his white beard flew behind him, like a woman's hair would as he ran to catch up to his allies. "By Mordain's breath will you slow down, didn't anyone teach you to keep a slow productive pace." Thrastrulim called out as he caught up to his allies as he ran up to their side once more. Noticing they stopped which was odd, after all so far he would complain about them going to fast and they would only slow down when he fell to far behind, a game they all seemed to play, however something was different Thrast noticed as he looked around them, placing his hand on the hilt of his hammer.

Listening to the others as they told him they smelled blood in the air, the dwarf lifted his nose, trying to sniff the air. " Bah all I smell is this fresh air, been away from the forge to long. There is nothing like the smell of." however whatever the dwarven companion was going to say was cut short as he saw the green figure of a goblin begin to sprint off. " By Mordain's beard lads, you going to let the thing get away after you tell me you smell blood. Ain't no goblin I ever known that stopped when someone asked nicely." Thrastrulim Hammerfoot says as he lifts his mighty warhammer into his hands, and straps his heavy steel shield, with the symbol of the Soul Forger on the front, onto his other arm, breaking out into a dead run to try and catch the little green monster, the sound of thunder rumbling as the short little dwarf ran in his suit that weighed almost as much as he did.

Spoiler: Thrastrulim Hammerfoot
    Show

HP 36/36
    AC 22
    Touch AC 10
    Flat footed AC 22
    Fort 6 Ref 0 Will 7

Double move action for 40ft. of movement as it is difficult terrain I believe that is only 20ft. moved for me however.
    As I did not have spell list before this battle I will not use any spells this battle.
    Last edited by Aparator al Zei; 2016-09-25 at 08:21 PM.
    Unghiurile de Nord și unghiuri de Sud . La est la vest auzi strigăt mea . Proteja pe cei care îi iubesc atât de mult , de a proteja cele pe care le numesc prietenii mei , Protejați cele pe care le numesc familia mea . Protejați-le toate aruncat în această seară . Amin .

-Orginal Quote made by myself when I was a boy, a prayer to protect all that which matters to me.-

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Natali

"And they're never found alone either dwarf" she mutters at the dwarf's back as Thrastrulim charges after the goblin. "Careful, in case this one's a lure not a spotter" she says to the other two, then spurs her mount off the trail crashing through the undergrowth to cut off the goblin and help the dwarf, sword raised.

Spoiler: actions/ status
    Show
    Double move: On horseback a double move should get me 50ft total movement in difficult terrain. Hopefully close enough to threaten and possibly obstruct the goblin.

Natali Kulenov
    Condition Fearless (immune to fear)
    Bulwark of defence (all threatened squares are difficult terrain for foes that start their turn threatened by me)
    Higher ground (+1 attack vs Medium or smaller foes when mounted)
    Shield block (+1 shield AC vs the goblin)

8. - Top - End - #8

Goblin shook his head, but did't stop his retreat. Halita' spell couldn’t take hold on its panicked mind.

Hammerfoot moved to chase, cutting some distance between him and the goblin, surprising fast in heavy armor, but unsurprising laud. Goblin look over his shoulder and curses under his breath.. as knight Natali guide her horse between trees to run next to him!

Show

Goblin made the save vs Daze.

Thrastrulim 20 ft back, Natali catch up with goblin.

Sara's turn.
    Last edited by Pol Detson; 2016-09-26 at 05:06 AM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateWench

Sara looking at the mist while traveling with her companions notices the goblin take off...
    Spoiler: skill checks
    Show

Gather information: (1d20+5)[24]
    Spot (1d20+3)[12]
    Listen: (1d20+3)[9]

Actions: draw swords, then run(x4, 120ft) towards the goblin.

10. - Top - End - #10

Sara tried to run, but even at the edge of the forest, few steps outside of muddy road, it was quite impossible. The forest was old and wild. The most of the Gray Forest was almost impenetrable, an enormous barrier of old trees, the dead ones fallen against the live and held to them by ivy, the living struggling up in competition with each other toward the sun which gave them life, the floor boggy through lack of drainage and decades of unchecked growth of underbush. Nothing like more tamed wilds, visited by timber merchants and their workers, who prune judiciously at the woods closer to Lyrabar.

Seeing four armed adventurers, goblin muttered last curse, ducking from under knight's sword, zing-zaging behind the tree and into tall (for goblin) shrubs. Using its pitiful size to its advantage and disappearing from sight .

Show

Samduke: you can't run in difficult terrain. I count it as a double move.

Goblin takes withdraw action (taking no AoO), and then, as a part of movement, use hide. I rolled spot and this round no-one knows where the little piece of work is...

Creative ideas, my players?
    Last edited by Pol Detson; 2016-09-27 at 12:36 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Hilata

"Well, I think that tells us what we can expect up ahead. And the rat got away, too."

Hilata points ahead. "Still, he can only move so quickly; our concern is with what is left ahead of us."

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

"That rat is here somewhere boys, just have to make sure it has no where to run. After all it is trying to hide so it can't be moving any faster than I when I be trying to fight like Hilata said. If any of you got some flint and steel I say we try cutting of four sides and lighting the place on fire. Smoke the dirty little creature out of its hole and find out why it ran when it saw us. Than again, it no doubt has something to do with the smell of blood in the air." the old, at least by human comparison, dwarf says as he drops down into a more protected stance and tries to use the crystal on his hammer to burn away some of the undergrowth.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Standard Action Total Defense (+4 to AC for a total of 26 this round) Move action to move his full speed (20ft.) which I believe will only move him 10ft. foward in the undergrouth. The crystal is more of a I wounder if this can light things on fire than it does light things on fire.
    Unghiurile de Nord și unghiuri de Sud . La est la vest auzi strigăt mea . Proteja pe cei care îi iubesc atât de mult , de a proteja cele pe care le numesc prietenii mei , Protejați cele pe care le numesc familia mea . Protejați-le toate aruncat în această seară . Amin .

-Orginal Quote made by myself when I was a boy, a prayer to protect all that which matters to me.-

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

Natali

Natali halts her warhorse a few feet away from Thrastrulim. Sword drawn, she calls out once more to the goblin "Last chance. Get your scrawny worthless hide out here now before the dwarf finds you and you'll be treated fairly. Otherwise..."

As she calls out she keeps a sharp eye out for any movement.

Spoiler: checks
    Show
    Standard action: Intimidate (1d20+8)[17]
    Move action: Spot (1d20+1)[12]

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateWench

Seeing the dirty little gobo go into the woods Sara finds her companions while putting her blades away

15. - Top - End - #15

Knight' threat remained unanswered. Seems that throwing himself at a mercy of four armed and dangerous adventurers was less appealing to goblin than cowardly escape. No twig snapped and not a single shrub moved suspiciously. The gloom of dense forest under twilight sky was all that Swordpoints could see.

Show

Ah, it seems that one got away.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

"Bloody thunder humper." the dwarf curses as the goblin does not answer the knights challenge. Sure he was happy she had taken the time to run back over to him and help make sure he wasn't attacked all alone, but it had no doubt let the dam little beast escape. " Best be hoping that we didn't need whatever he had to say or else we be walking into a nest of kobolds when we get to town." the dwarf says with a worried expression. The lass was just on the side of the dam thing, why would she run back over to me, its not like the thing could have gotten past us all if we would have all spread out. Unless their is some kind of hiding hole here! the dwarf thinks hefting his hammer up in the air happily as he begins examining the ground for any sign of tampering, sure he had never heard of a goblin digging a tunnel before, but he had heard of goblins killing those who did.

Spoiler: Untrained survival check
    Show
    To see if he notices anything unnatural about the ground, as if it has been worked slightly or something similar (1d20+3)[13]

Spoiler: If his search turns up nothing
    Show
    Finding no proof he was right the dwarf of Moradin turns to his companions, his grey bearded face looking back to the direction they were originally heading. "Best keep going I suppose no lasses? he says noting the irony of being the only male in the entire group, no doubt when they learned he could craft armor and weapons they would never want to pay to have their items taken care of by anyone else again.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Hilata

"Yep, let's move on. I wish I'd bought a horse."

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

Natali

"Agreed, Hilata. Let's proceed with caution. There's bound to be more of the murderous little rats about, and it seems that some poor souls may have run afoul of them today already."

Natali waits on the road until everybody has regrouped, before continuing on together.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateWench

Yes let us continue or travels and be weary for where there is one gobo that's bound to be other nasty critters about. Sara rejoins the ground at the road keeping an ever watchfull eye out as they travel.

20. - Top - End - #20

After cowardly and too lucky goblin slipped away, Swordpoints decided to move forward, to see and check on the source of blood-scent. Natali calmed down her nervous horse and they marched down the road, rounding the bend.

Mud mixed with blood covered the section of road, short broken arrow-shafts marked irregular patters. Chaotic and unreadable pattern of hoof prints, footprints and tracks showed on the blood-soaked ground.

Thrastrulim thanks to darkvision and being naturally perceptive could read some details; there were at least three or four horses with riders; all of them fought and died, surrendered by goblins and larger assailants - orcs or maybe hobgoblins. Tracks were no older than few hours.

But what was peculiar was missing bodies; the ambushers obviously collected their own, but the bodies of men were dragged to the dark forest. Dragged by something big.

Spoiler
    Show
    Ok, examination of the scene would take several minutes, so we are after nightfall. If you wish to go into the forest to search for bodies, the effective illumination is complete darkness. Hammerfoot is fine thanks to darkvision, but rest of characters needs light.
    Last edited by Pol Detson; 2016-09-28 at 02:47 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Hilata

"I think I know the problems the town is having... could this have been the previous group sent here?

But we should press on to town instead of chasing the bodies of the dead. Besides, we'd need to wait until morning unless we want to give ourselves away with light."

Spoiler
    Show

Hilata has at-will Light from her Gloves of the Starry Sky.
    Last edited by J-H; 2016-09-28 at 03:02 PM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

Natali

"That was a bigger group - twenty or more the contract stated. But it could be that they got into trouble closer to the village and that some escaped and tried to make a break for it." She dismounts and has a quick look around, as best she can in the fading light.

Spoiler: stuff
    Show
    @Pol Detson, when you say the party is "a few hours from Mist" can we still likely make it before things start to get too dark or are we pretty sure now that we're going to get caught out travelling past twilight into the hours of darkness?

Search (1d20)[18] - looking for any signs of the identity of the victims - broken weapons/ insignia/ clothing etc that might ID them as soldiers/ paladins/ commoners etc

Natali Kulenov
    Condition
    Fearless (immune to fear)

Last edited by Ghostfoot; 2016-09-28 at 03:43 PM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Thrastrulim may have the eyesight of a blind man during the daylight hours, proof of that being the cursed goblin getting away, however when it came to seeing things that humans could not in the dark he was easily better then they were. "Judging by the tracks it looks like at least three or four people on horses were ambushed here by a pack of goblins and something larger. Perhaps orcs or Hobgoblins, I am not sure however, my skills are not in the tracking down the enemies of the dwarven race." Thrastrulim admitted to the women in the group as he looked at the blood soaked ground, looking to see if any bodies were around. However upon finding none the dwarf began to wounder what sort of creature was strong enough to take out twenty armed men, four of them on horseback no less, and then still have enough manpower left to drag the bodies of both enemy and ally away, it didn't make any sense to the dwarf who had always lived his life under the mountains until his parents died and he became engaged.

" I suggest heading to the village swiftly, while I may be able to see in the dark with ease you lasses will need some form of light source, and that will give us away quicker than you can get a dwarf in a bar." Father Hammerfoot says looking at the fading light and doubting very much that the group would make it to the town before the darkness to hold, and that was even if the village still stood. Who knows what had happened to it if this battle was any indication.

Show
    I am ready to keep moving if the rest of the party is, which I believe we all agreed we were.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateWench

Sara looks for a place to stay the night, as well as any shops that may be open.

25. - Top - End - #25

Natali searched thoroughly the whole disturbing scene. The light provided by Hilata's gloves came in handy. She did found a scraps of cloth scraps in the place where the trial left by dragged bodies entered the forest. Deep blue colour and texture indicated that at least one person wore standard uniform of Impiltur' soldiers and men-at-arms.

Show

Check OOC about information about marching during the night.
    Last edited by Pol Detson; 2016-09-30 at 01:50 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

Natali

"Wise words Thrastrulim. Let's get moving. We don't want to get caught out here by the greenskins like these poor souls". Her horse is looking exhausted from the day's travel so as they depart she walks alongside it like everybody else, bridle in hand.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateWench

while traveling with her companions, Sara keeps an ever watchful eye out for the unknown that may want to strike out from the dark...
    Spoiler: checks as needed
    Show

listen+3 (1d20+3)[10]
    search+5 (1d20+5)[10]
    spot+3 (1d20+3)[10]
    gatherinformation+5 (1d20+5)[25]

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

"We best be finding camp soon, and someplace away from here if we want to at least wake up in the morning not prisoners." Thrast says using his darkvision to help guide the group as he asks them what he should be looking for.

Spoiler: Perception checks
    Show

Spot (1d20+3)[20]
    Listen (1d20+3)[23]

29. - Top - End - #29

The stars were hidden behind heavy and dense clouds and only the palest sliver of moon shone on the road behind and ahead of Swordpoints. The forest on both sides were nothing more than uniform walls of darkness for everyone exept Thrast.

But they could hear a sound of horn, above rustling leaves in the wind, close by from the side that goblin scout observed them. Thrast' not only could see the farthest, but also his ears were the most acute. A second, more distant horn answered the first. It was accompanied by howling of wolfs or their kin.

Natali decided to find a spot to defend from ambush, a defensive site to camp or fight. She found one; an obvious one. Not perfectly safe, but better than open road. Stone bridge, barely wider than merchant' wagon, spun two sides of shallow river dissecting the road.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Hilata

"Good, we can sleep with the river and bridge between us and the goblins. I am tired, I'll take last watch."

Spoiler
    Show

To get 8 hours of rest we'll probably need to sleep for 10 hours.