Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 24 1234567891011 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 700
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    RogueGuy

    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Gender
    Male

    Default Way of the Wicked: Knot of Thorns

    In the kingdom of Talingarde, many crimes may send you to Branderscar Prison, but the sentence has but one meaning. You are wicked and irredeemable. Each of you received the same greeting when you arrived. You were held down by rough hands and branded upon the arm with a runic F. The mark signifies ‘forsaken’ and the painful scar is indelible proof that each of you has betrayed the great and eternal love of Mitra and his chosen mortal vassals.

    Condemned, you face at best a life of shackles and servitude in the nearby salt mines. Others might await the “gentle” ministrations of the inquisitors so that co-conspirators may be revealed and confessions extracted. Perhaps, some of you will be spared this ordeal. Perhaps instead you have come to Branderscar to face the final judgment. In three days, the executioner arrives and the axe falls or the pyre will be lit. Through fire or steel, your crimes will be answered.

    You have all been chained together in the same communal cell dressed in nothing but filthy, tattered rags. Manhandled and mistreated, any finery you once possessed is either ruined or long lost. No special treatment has been given any prisoner – male or female, commoner or noble – all of the forsaken are bound and imprisoned together. Your feet are secured by iron cuffs tethered by one long chain. Your arms are secured to the wall above by manacles. A guard is posted right outside the cell day and night. Little thought is given to long term accommodations. At Branderscar, justice comes swift and sure.

    Escape seems hopeless. You have all been well searched and every attempt to conceal anything on your person has failed. And if you could somehow slip your bonds and fly out of this prison, where would you go? Who from your former life would want anything to do with the forsaken? Despised, alone and shackled – all that you can do now is await your doom.

    For each of you, your old life is over. For each of you, hope is a fading memory. For each of you, justice will be fairly meted. And who can blame fair Talingarde after what each of you has done?

    Spoiler: OODM
    Show
    I will put little notes at the bottom of some posts to clarify what I need and what I expect. Any information that is not part of the flow of the game will be presented like this. As it says, you are all shackled together in one common room, bound together at your feet and individually to the wall at your wrist. Feel free to talk, as none of you know each other or what you are in for. The guards are posted down the hall, just outside the door to the south. I will interject after at least one post from everyone and it seems thematically appropriate.All of you know that in three days you will be given your punishment.

    Decide on what you want your token to be. It needs to be something that will show up well as a small image (about 15x15 pixels). Maybe a face or an object, but details will be lost easily. Each token will also be a specific color, so pick a color, first come first served. Post your choices in OOC.

    Spoiler: MAP
    Show
    Here is a map of your cell. You are in 18a and can hear heavy breathing coming from 19, though the only light source is a torch by the door. The sun has just set and you all just arrived recently and in the same caravan, though this is the first time you've been allowed to talk to each other.
    Last edited by rogue_alchemist; 2016-09-27 at 09:47 AM.

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Chimera

    Join Date
    Apr 2014

    Default Re: Way of the Wicked: Knot of Thorns

    Fane

    Fane looked around the cell and up and down the line of people he was chained to. He looked down at the rags he was dressed in. At least he was was sentenced to death. There would be a chance to escape, he had to await for opportunity. He had to learn the ways of this place and the next, they were alien to him. He knew the law and society in general, but this place?

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    LordHavelock's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Way of the Wicked: Knot of Thorns

    Korwin looked and felt an unholy wreck. The two weeks worth of growth on his face had left his usually wellkempt features a dark and unseemly mess, and worse besides, his bruises and injuries had been healing neglect of any sort of medical attention. The last scion of House Kurze had been defiant when the more righteous minded of Mithra and those loyal to house Darius had come to accuse him of High Treason, and arrest him on the spot. His family had acquitted themselves as well, though Korwin had not seen fit to bring them into the fullness of his designs to overthrow the Markadian and his ilk, but when their son had not denied the charges, and lifted his blade in opposition to his captors, they had not groveled, begged for mercy, or forsworn his actions. And so had every last vestige of their once noble house been abolished; the faithful of Mitra seeing fit to forgo more honorable tactics and simply burning the last of the family's holdings to the ground, seizing any and all of those who still claimed heritage to House Kurze and dispatching them with all due haste. Korwin did not begrudge this offense though; it only served to highlight the hypocrisy of the Shining Lord and those who paid Mitra fealty.

    'Power is exercised in exclusion of all concerns.' He reflected, rolling his neck to either side with an audible crackle of joints as he shook from himself the fatigue of his injuries, 'Those who claim to derive sovreignty from the righteousness, piety, or divine favor only delude the truth of rulership; that it is might, pure and simple, which makes right. The willingness and capacity to do what your opponent cannot, what they will not, is what brings victory.'

    That more than anything was Korwin's solace in the cell. He knew what he was willing to do to restore his name, his house, to escape this prison, Branderscar, to have his revenge and more; and his awareness of that readiness to kill, to destroy, when the faithful of Mitra needed deceive and justify the use of force and brutality to achieve there ends gave him the edge. Ambition was not a virtue readily recognized among the nobility of Talingarde in this new order. It had earned his household a grim reputation over the past several generations, and in Korwin that had come to a culmination. He saw no reason why his family, the only one which valued power for what it was should remain idle and neglected simply because House Darius peddled weakness in the servility masquerading as humility and piety in the face of the divine.

    'Mitra . . . where is the strength in a god whose followers aspire to weakness.'
    He thought, before turning his eyes on his fellow prisoners, the other Forsaken brought to Branderscar.

    "Treason."
    The word echoed from his lips around the cell with a certain amount of relish. "I sought to end the rule of House Darius and bring about a new order to the realm." He answered to the unspoken question of all those who had the runic symbol burned upon their arms, but sought more than to simply share a kernel of his past. "Are there any among you guilty of greater? Heresy against Mitra and it's church? Defaming the Shining Lord or consorting with darker powers?"

    In truth, he was curious, having only a passing acquaintance with powers less exalted than Mitra, but knowing that in the annals of Talingarde, in his own family's past, there were those powers which had revered might above all, and favored those who shared that belief.
    'I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people. You're wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides.'

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    ElfWarriorGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2011

    Default Re: Way of the Wicked: Knot of Thorns

    The chains around his wrists and ankles clinked softly as Vaelus stirred. His muscles pulled and strained as he tested his bonds once more, yet again finding that they were securely affixed in the wall. The half-elf's disposition had soured considerably with each such test, and any thought of successful escape had died. He grimly accepted that he would die soon, although not without a struggle. He would not simply allow himself to be peaceably led to a pyre and burned. His mind walked through different possibilities in which he might grab for a blade and run, or strangle a guard with his chain, or viciously bite, or...

    Pain roused him from his thoughts as the fresh brand still throbbed; and from beneath his disheveled hair his somber grey eyes swept over the other condemned. In these conditions, it was difficult to get a read on the others, but he noted that each of them were similarly garbed in filthy rags. 'How many dead-men-walking had these articles of clothing seen', he mused with a faint sneer. 'How many cattle led to the slaughter?'

    Korwin's voice pulled his thoughts back to the cell and the situation at-hand. He pondered the question a moment, allowing his mind to probe the confession and its possible realizations - 'the end of the rule of House Darius'.

    Finally, the half-elf spoke. "They intend to burn me for my blasphemy against the ever-fair and ever-forgiving Mitra." His voice was soft, but venom colored his words. "A dead merchant may have earned me the headsman's axe, but the corpses of priests earn a man his own pyre. Who's to say if my crime was greater or lesser. Each appears to have earned us the same cell.

    "How did they catch you?"
    He cocked a curious eyebrow and turned his head towards Korwin.

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Chimera

    Join Date
    Apr 2014

    Default Re: Way of the Wicked: Knot of Thorns

    Fane

    Fane listened to Korwin and Vaelus as they spoke of their crimes. Korwin seemed concerned that he committed the worst crime. Vaelus seemed more pragmatic of the situation. They apparently were both to be executed. Things could be worse. These men would have no chances in the future if they did not escape now unlike himself. Was there any point in talking at all. He laughed to himself. He was a barrister and a manipulator of fools, talk was all he did in many ways. These people would be far more motivated than he to try and escape now. Maybe a dialog would have some merit if there were any chance of escape.

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    LordHavelock's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Way of the Wicked: Knot of Thorns

    Korwin listened raptly to the first reply, answered by this professed blasphemer, and found it both reassuring to be amidst those who had no love for Mitra, but irked at his confession of gross murder. Korwin had killed, many and more men, and had intended to kill all the more depending on how many fools proved loyal to House Darius when the time was right. This was a matter of course to him though, that all who stood on the way of his conquest should be dispatched with extreme prejudice.

    Whatever had motivated this, by the looks of him, elven blooded murderer to his deeds seemed personal however, and while Korwin had all the more grievances soccer his capture, had yet to kill out of revenge of the like. 'Exept for that first time.' he reflected, thinking back to the first man he had ever slain, the hated Sir Terrec. Korwin had slain him in a duel, though it had been declared self defense by those witnesses who saw him be attacked at the tavern. He remembered too it was the first, and last, time he had touched the darker power which had promised a glorious destiny for himself and his house. That has been his inspiration for the attempted coup, but now, here he was with little to show for it. He had not forgotten the feeling however, The allure of power unbridled, a burning will to rule and dominate; and the mettle to make these ambitions realized.

    "I was betrayed." Korwin said by way of reply. "I know not by who put how they gained such knowledge when my plans had only begun, but it is the only explanation. Perhaps one of the mercenary companies, or else Darius had spies among those houses less friendly to their cause."

    "You slew priests, but did you do so in service to another? I have never known but the faith of Mitra and yet I see no reason a more worthy power should earn my devotion. One who appreciates an ambitious and ruthless soul."
    Korwin wondered whether that dark power he has touched indeed had a name, and whether it might provide him yet with a means to escape.
    Last edited by LordHavelock; 2016-09-28 at 05:03 PM.
    'I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people. You're wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides.'

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGirl

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Way of the Wicked: Knot of Thorns

    Jasper knew he could slip the manacles. He'd figured that out some time ago. That wasn't the hard part of this trick. No, it'd be getting past all the guards and out of the prison, and then finding somewhere to disappear. New name, new life. Same job, probably, let's be honest. First, Jasper needed a plan, and for a decent plan... he would need a little help from the audience. His eyes scan the other prisoners. The two strong men were swapping war stories, but that's wasn't the assassin's way. No, if you were about to be caught in a lie, you clearly needed to lie harder. Best case, you convinced someone. Worst case, you've confused them... which when it came to getting the drop on unsuspecting guards, was almost as good. "Not that anyone cares," he adds in a resigned tone, "but I didn't do it."

    Spoiler: I am also an inveterate liar.
    Show
    Apparently not a very good one though.

    Bluff: (1d20+10)[14]
    Last edited by Nyarai; 2016-09-28 at 05:53 PM.

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    LordHavelock's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Way of the Wicked: Knot of Thorns

    Quote Originally Posted by Nyarai View Post
    Jasper knew he could slip the manacles. He'd figured that out some time ago. That wasn't the hard part of this trick. No, it'd be getting past all the guards and out of the prison, and then finding somewhere to disappear. New name, new life. Same job, probably, let's be honest. First, Jasper needed a plan, and for a decent plan... he would need a little help from the audience. His eyes scan the other prisoners. The two strong men were swapping war stories, but that's wasn't the assassin's way. No, if you were about to be caught in a lie, you clearly needed to lie harder. Best case, you convinced someone. Worst case, you've confused them... which when it came to getting the drop on unsuspecting guards, was almost as good. "Not that anyone cares," he adds in a resigned tone, "but I didn't do it."

    Spoiler: I am also an inveterate liar.
    Show
    Apparently not a very good one though.

    Bluff: [roll0]
    Before his murderous, knife-eared friend can reply, Korwin hears the other of their number speak up. And with a declaration of innocence no less.

    "Did what?" Korwin replies taking his own measure of the man.

    Spoiler: Sense Motive from Korwin
    Show
    Not so much to see through the lie, just to take stock of Jasper's general person, whether he seems capable of the kind of crimes to get one sent to Branderscar. And therefore, capable of helping them escape.

    [Roll]1d20[/roll]
    Last edited by LordHavelock; 2016-09-28 at 07:11 PM.
    'I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people. You're wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides.'

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Chimera

    Join Date
    Apr 2014

    Default Re: Way of the Wicked: Knot of Thorns

    Fane

    Fane listens until he is fed up with all the conversation. "How about we don't worry about what we did or didn't do or whose crime was greatest. If we wish to talk then lets talk about the only thing that matters. Escape.

    "I imagine many of us are going to be killed soon.
    "

  10. - Top - End - #10
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    RogueGuy

    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Way of the Wicked: Knot of Thorns

    Lexus watches the group closely, intently staring at people as they move. Anyone who watches closely sees that she doesn't quite react to sound as fast as normal, but she could just be lethargic. Very small in stature at the height of 2 feet, Lexus possesses mottled red skin, shockingly bright red eyes, canine ears, a canine snout, a tail twice as long as she is tall, small goat horns on her forehead and very sharp teeth. Her hair is shiny black and long. It is not too hard to guess that she isn't a normal mortal. She sits silently, bidding her time and watching her surroundings.

    As the group sits discussing, the door at the far end of the hallway suddenly bursts open. In march two guards, followed by a fat man dressed in blue and then four more guards as two rows of two. The first two guards post themselves on either side of the door to the cell, while the fat man fumbles with some keys to unlock the cell. As he opens the door and walks in, you recognize him as the sergeant of the guard, Sergeant Blackerly, a rotund cruel man who laughed as he branded you with your runic F, forever marking you as one of the forsaken. After he opens the door, he stands just inside slowly looking up and down the group, wobbling slightly on his feet. He suddenly seems to come to and points at Fane.

    “You there! That’s the scum! Get ‘em unshackled. If any of you makes trouble, they’ll earn a thrashing! Today’s your lucky day, scum. You’ve got a visitor. How you ever warranted such a fine lady is beyond me. Seems she wants to say good-bye. Now step lively. We wouldn’t want to keep her waiting.”

    Two of the guards behind Blackerly come around and roughly grab Fane, as Blackerly steps forward and unlocks the manacles around his wrist and then his ankles. This only lets Fane loose of the chain that binds everyone's ankles, and everyone else is still bound as they were. The guards then keep hold of Fane's arms (one for each side), as they guide him down the hall and through the door. The two guards on either side of the cell remain at their post, but Blackerly and the final two guards follow the escorts out back through the door.

    Spoiler: image of Blackerly
    Show

    Spoiler: For HappyMerecat
    Show
    You are not expecting anybody and have no idea what this is about. You are escorted roughly through the door and immediately make a left to head through another door. You are shoved roughly into a chair as the guards take watch on either side of the door. Blackerly follows you in and closes the door behind himself. The other two guards resume their post out in the other room.

    Looking around you see that this room is plain. There is a table and a few chairs, but no windows or other adornment in this large brick (think cinder-block) room. Sitting on the other side of the table is a hauntingly beautiful woman in an elegant black dress and soft silken veil. She looks as if she is headed to a funeral. Her hair is so platinum as to almost be white and her eyes are a vibrant almost unearthly green. She clearly has been weeping.

    "Oh, dearest," proclaims the unfamiliar woman. "I’m so relieved you’re alive!" She quickly turns to the sergeant. "Could we please have a moment alone, good sir? For pity’s sake?"

    Blackerly goes blank for a bit and then quickly agrees. "Of course, my lady. For you,’ tis no problem."

    Blackerly opens the door and signals his men to move out. They look a little askance at each other, but quickly follow orders. The guards can be heard talking amongst themselves in the next room, clearly not paying attention to what is going on in here.

    As soon as the guards leave, the stranger's demeanor immediately changes. She drops all pretense of grief or concern. She is immediately all business.

    "Have you forgotten me, dearest?" the unexpected visitor says with a smirk, dropping her pretense of grief.

    "Call me Tiadora. We possess a mutual friend who would like to meet you and your fellow cell-mates. Unfortunately, our friend is unwilling to visit you in your present rather shabby accommodations so it seems you must escape. Don’t be so dour. Just because it’s never been done before is no reason you can’t be the first."

    "If you manage that, cross the moors on the outskirts of town. On the old Moor Road you’ll see a manor house with a single lantern burning in the second story. There our mutual friend waits. That is all I know. He did want me to give you this."


    She takes off her silken veil and wipes away a few fake tears with it.

    "Something to remember me by, dearest."

    She hands you the veil, which you quickly squirrel away in your ruined tunic to inspect later.
    Spoiler: image of Tiadora
    Show

    Spoiler: OODM
    Show
    Alright everyone give me a sense motive check, and feel free to react to this however you see fit. If you get violent, then the guards will give you a whack, just as Blackerly warned. HappyMerecat give me a second sense motive check. You all are welcome to read the stuff for HappyMerecat, just know that it is information your character does not have, and so cannot react to. HappyMerecat will have to react to his visitor (feel free to put it in plain post or behind a spoiler button) before the game can move on much, but if everyone else wants to continue talking (with the guards there listening) or talk to the guards, feel free as well.
    Last edited by rogue_alchemist; 2016-09-29 at 07:34 AM.

  11. - Top - End - #11
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    ElfWarriorGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2011

    Default Re: Way of the Wicked: Knot of Thorns

    His conversation interrupted for the moment, Vaelus decided not to press the topic. There would be many hours chained to the wall. He simply shook his head, giving Korwin a silent reply. The half-elf had been in service to none but himself, marching his personal crusade to completion.

    At Blackerly's appearance, Vaelus' features belied curiosity and he raptly watched Fane's unshackling. As Fane, the two guards holding him and Blackerly turned to leave, Vaelus sneered. The half-elf's mouth had already earned him a beating, but he was unafraid of pain. He spoke up, loudly and derisively and said "What, your mother hasn't arrived yet? She promised me a conjugal visit. I suggest you prepare us a room, you fat piece of garbage."

    Spoiler: Stats
    Show

    AC 12; HP 13/13 Sheet

    Sense Motive:
    [roll]1d20+1[/roll]
    Last edited by Mercurion; 2016-09-29 at 09:11 AM.

  12. - Top - End - #12
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    ElfWarriorGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2011

    Default Re: Way of the Wicked: Knot of Thorns

    Spoiler: Sense Motive
    Show
    Sense Motive: (1d20+1)[13]

  13. - Top - End - #13
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    RogueGuy

    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Way of the Wicked: Knot of Thorns

    Blackerly doesn't even hesitate for a second at the half-elf's jeer, but one of the guards at the door quickly comes and raps him across the feet with a club

    "He told 'ou 'no trouble' 'e did. Serve's 'ou right, talking about 'is mum that way!"

    The guard is obviously not blessed with much intelligence, but feel very proud of himself for 'putting this filth in it's place' as he thought. As soon as he was done, he retreated back outside the cell to resume his post by the cell door.

    Spoiler: For Mercurion
    Show
    You take (1d3)[3] non-lethal damage

  14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Chimera

    Join Date
    Apr 2014

    Default Re: Way of the Wicked: Knot of Thorns

    Fane

    Fane wonders if this is opportunity knocking, but there are too many of them and then he hears of the woman he is puzzled. A visitor? Who could that be? Fane does noot resist and goes with the flow.

    Spoiler: For rogue_alchemist
    Show
    Fane listens to the woman whom he clearly does not know. The whole thing is very dreamlike, but h also knows a charm when he sees one. He nods his head. "Thank you my dear." He then quickly looks at the veil then hides it on himself.


    Spoiler: Crunch
    Show
    Sense Motive 1 (1d20+2)[11]
    Sense Motive 2 (1d20+2)[12]

  15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    LordHavelock's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Way of the Wicked: Knot of Thorns

    Korwin fixates on Blackerly with a hateful glare, even as Vaelus' words earn him a blow from the guards. His eyes flash, with a brief flicker of infernal fire, and suddenly the nature of the odious Captain who presided over the branding of each of them is revealed in a flash of insight. Korwin is only aware of this after the fact, as the feeling fades as fast as it comes, but knows he has tasted another portion of the power what called him those short years ago.

    With careful measure, he regards the exit of Blackerly, before refocusing his gaze on Vaelus, who confessed to murder, and the man who did not (Jasper), trying to recreate the effect. He finds the feeling comes easier each time and grows in reassurance as he does.

    'Perhaps' he thinks, 'perhaps this is the next step in my promised destiny.' closing his eyes, Korwin thinks on the last time he truly prayed, in his youth, and what words occurred to him before he became jaded to the world.

    'To whatever power may do so, I offer myself, my mettle, my soul, to the cause of the end of Mitra and those who venerate the Shining Lord. No act is beyond me in my need for vengeance, no foe beyond my effort to conquer; name me your champion and so shall Talingarde become thy domain; Our domain, by the might of my sword and the favor of whatever dark majesty does promise me destiny fulfilled: the ruin of house Darius, the triumph of Kurze.'


    Spoiler: Ooc
    Show

    Detect good on Blackerly, Vaelus, and Jasper in turn.

    Sense Motive: (1d20)[18]
    Last edited by LordHavelock; 2016-09-30 at 01:08 PM.
    'I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people. You're wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides.'

  16. - Top - End - #16
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    ElfWarriorGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2011

    Default Re: Way of the Wicked: Knot of Thorns

    Vaelus grunted, gritting his teeth through the sharp pain but otherwise remained silent. He thought about his present situation, and about Blackerly's visit to fetch Fane. The pain in his foot throbbed less and faded from thought while his mind wandered to briefly fantasize about the final visitors he may have had once, and his thoughts briefly turned to those of sadness and loss before coming back around to wrathful bitterness. This was not the first time or place where his thoughts wandered to his tragic past only to sharpen into a cold vengeance.

  17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGirl

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Way of the Wicked: Knot of Thorns

    Jasper coughed suddenly to conceal a chuckle.

  18. - Top - End - #18
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    RogueGuy

    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Way of the Wicked: Knot of Thorns

    After the guard berates the unruly Vaelus, Korwin looks in turn at Blackerly, Vaelus, and Jasper, obviously trying to discern something about them, with his eyes briefly flashing red upon looking at each.

    The others are cowed into silence, though Lexus is especially scared when the guard comes in with his club raised, as she is unsure what he was saying. As Vaelus takes the beating, she relaxes a little, but still keeps her thoughts to herself, not saying much, but trying to watch whoever is talking.

    After a short visit, the door burst open again as two guards strong-arm Fane back into the cell. He is once again locked into his shackles and the door to the cell is relocked as the padre of 7 guards leaves, closing the final door behind them.
    Spoiler: Everyone
    Show
    While you sense that the sergeant isn't quite how he was before with you, you don't know him well enough to recognize if anything is out of the ordinary.

    Spoiler: LordHavelock
    Show
    You do not detect the least bit of good in any of the men you cast Detect Good on.

    Spoiler: Fane
    Show
    Her message delivered, she rises and the guards return. Immediately, her demeanor once more changes and she is again a perfect picture of grief. "No, I can’t bear to leave you!" She gives the Fane a kiss on the cheek. The kiss is ice-cold and feels somehow alien and inhuman.

    Tomas Blackerly shakes his head. "I’m afraid it’s time, miss."

    She looks deep in Tomas’ eyes and says, "Thank you for letting me say good-bye. There’s no need to search my dearest. You are such a good friend for letting me see my dearest one more time."

    "Such a good friend," Tomas repeats his voice almost mechanical. Then the watch sergeant seems to snap out of it and bows politely. "A pleasure, madam," She leaves unveiled. Her eyes meet Fane's one last time and she briefly gives him a wicked smile.

    "Three days," telepathically echoes in the Fane's mind. "Don’t disappoint me, dearest." The visitation concluded, Fane is taken back to his cell by a cadre of guards and shackled once more.

    Spoiler: OODM
    Show
    No one made their sense motive check. Though Fane may have his suspicions, he can't tell for sure whether the sergeant is just a really good friend of Tiadora's or actually under a spell. Now that the party is back together and no guards are around, what are you going to do?
    Last edited by rogue_alchemist; 2016-09-30 at 12:17 PM.

  19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    LordHavelock's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Way of the Wicked: Knot of Thorns

    Korwin feels flush with a new sensation; perceptually, he knows nothing has changed, but as each of the men, in turn comes under his gaze, he knows in a flash of insight, like a burning spark in his mind, that there is not a drop of righteousness in any of them. Nothing of the so called 'light' to which the Mitrans aspire and pay homage. It is reassuring, in its own way, and as his gaze settles back on Vaelus, he cracks a grim smile, just visible through the growth on his chin and cheeks.

    "You're a glutton for punishment I see. How are you for dealing it back out?" He asks, a modicum of respect in his voice before he rolls his head over to look back at 'innocent' man.

    "And you, whatever crime put you in for, I can see you're guilty of plenty besides, so don't play coy."


    Once Fane, the final man is returned and shackled in, he turns the same fiery gaze on him for an instant, and the guard as he leaves.

    "I've never heard of anyone receiving visitors in Branderscar. Not for any amount of connections, nor gold. That mark on your arm brands you Forsaken, like the rest of us. There shouldn't be a single honest soul in Talingarde who'd be willing to consort with you, even if they had the means."
    He pauses a moment, no question evident yet, but still hanging in the air, "So, I'm guessing you have some dishonest souls outside these walls acting in your favor. Of considerable means as well."
    'I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people. You're wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides.'

  20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Chimera

    Join Date
    Apr 2014

    Default Re: Way of the Wicked: Knot of Thorns

    Fane

    Fane ignores Korwin's comments and pulls out the veil looking at it carefully.

  21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGirl

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Way of the Wicked: Knot of Thorns

    Jasper looks at Fane, more specifically the veil in his hands. "Gift from your ladyfriend?" he mutters weakly.

  22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Zhentarim's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Shreveport, Louisiana, US
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Way of the Wicked: Knot of Thorns

    Lexus stepped forward cautiously to examine the veil. She still wasn't sure if these other beings in the cell with her meant her weal or woe. At any rate, her tail swooshed with anticipation as she took in her surroundings. She had killed somebody in a botched and she feared the mysterious force that granted her power may have forsaken her, as the mysterious force would NEVER allow harm to befall her.

    Spoiler: Perception Check to read the lips of those around her
    Show
    Lexus is deaf, but can read lips with a DC 5 perception check:
    (1d20+3)[12]
    DnD Alignment: Neutral Evil
    M&M 3e Character Thread
    Spoiler: Dare you stare into Abaddon?
    Show


  23. - Top - End - #23
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    RogueGuy

    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Way of the Wicked: Knot of Thorns

    Lexus is easily able to read everyone's lips as she glances back and forth, perfectly understanding the words they say, even if some of the context and inflection are missing to relay all the subtext. As Fane pulls out a piece of cloth from inside his ragged robes, everyone can see a fine gossamer piece of cloth with intricately sewn patterns on it. From the distance it is hard to make out any details.

    Spoiler: LordHavelock
    Show
    Fane does not detect good, but the guards emit a faint aura of definite goodness.

    Spoiler: HappyMerecat
    Show
    Fane can see the intricate patterns quite well. As he holds it in his hands, he can make out finely embroidered items that are embossed into the veil.

    Spoiler: Lexus
    Show
    With only a DC 5 to read lips, Lexus will automatically succeed unless under duress or distracted. If Lexus has no reason to be paying attention roll a 1d4 to see if she notices anything to include her, and then just assume she succeeds in actually reading lips. Also as you are manacled around your wrist and ankles, there isn't much standing up or walking anywhere. You can stand up, but then you are at the limit of your manacles and it is uncomfortable, they were designed to keep you sitting and submissive.

    Spoiler: OODM
    Show
    No one can make out what the details are, just that this veil is well made. Feel free to as for more details or continue to inspect it from where you are, just know that you can't make out any more details yet about it.

  24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Chimera

    Join Date
    Apr 2014

    Default Re: Way of the Wicked: Knot of Thorns

    Fane

    "A gift yes, but merely delivered by her."
    Fane runs his fingers across the image of the crossed tools to try and discern what the images are for.

  25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Zhentarim's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Shreveport, Louisiana, US
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Way of the Wicked: Knot of Thorns

    Lexus wonders if this is a magic cloth. With a grunt, she tries drawing attention to herself. She extends her tail to the cloth and blurts out tersely and with a heavy deaf accent "Magic Cloth?"
    DnD Alignment: Neutral Evil
    M&M 3e Character Thread
    Spoiler: Dare you stare into Abaddon?
    Show


  26. - Top - End - #26
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    RogueGuy

    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Way of the Wicked: Knot of Thorns

    Spoiler: For Fane
    Show
    As Fane runs his hands across the images, the very corner just starts to peel up on any he touches. It would seem they are detachable patches stuck to the fine gossamer veil. They are made of the same fine material and don't mar the elegance of the veil at all, like they were made to go together.

  27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Chimera

    Join Date
    Apr 2014

    Default Re: Way of the Wicked: Knot of Thorns

    Fane

    Feeling the image slightly separate from the veil, Fane pulls it off carefully.

  28. - Top - End - #28
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    RogueGuy

    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Way of the Wicked: Knot of Thorns

    A Fane studies the intricately embroidered veil, he starts picking at one section of it. It seems he is able to pull off one of details, and suddenly he is holding a set of finely crafted lock picks. Handling the veil is difficult, as Fane has to hold it over his head and crane his neck around to study it. With his hands now full, Fane will have to figure out what to do.

    Spoiler: For Fane
    Show
    You now have a set of masterwork lock picks in one hand and the veil in the other. In order to do anything you will have to drop one. You are manacled to the wall above your head, so handing tools to one of the other people in the cell will not be trivial, but just roll 1d20 and don't get a one. If you try to pick your own locks, it is at -2 because they are above your head, and +2 because the tools are masterwork, giving an overall of +0 to your Disable Device check. It is DC 20 to pick the lock.

    Spoiler: OODM
    Show
    You guys don't have to wait for Fane, you are free to discuss your own motives and plans. He is clearly ignoring most of you and investigating this cloth as best as he can. Also feel free to look around and make perception checks or think and use knowledge checks or whatever. This whole AP is well described and there are lots of things to discover that may or may not impact the story, but are cool none-the-less.

  29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGirl

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Way of the Wicked: Knot of Thorns

    Okay, now they were cooking with fire. Jasper attempts to dislocate his left wrist, the first step in slipping any decent pair of manacles, but he fails. Utterly. His smile not slipping an inch, he asks, "Mind if I have a look at those, friend?"

  30. - Top - End - #30
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    ElfWarriorGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2011

    Default Re: Way of the Wicked: Knot of Thorns

    "Oh, they'll get what's coming' to them," Vaelus said in reply to Korwin. "I think I'll be able to bite off at least one nose before they subdue and burn me." He smirks, fully confident that his revenge (such as it was) would be had.

    However, the half-elf takes pause as Fane is reshackled and subsequently begins to examine his 'gift'. "What've you got there?" It was as much a statement as a question, since the tool in the man's hand was evident.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •