New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 31 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Ghostfoot's Savage Tide (IC) Pt 2

Traps? Amiyah can check for those. Ever since the incident with the mutant plague zombie she really doesn't like getting too far from the group, but this kind of ancient ruin is prime trap territory. She nods to Surtros. "Good idea. Go find a safe place to perch, Khalil." Just in case she sets something off. Birds, even familiars, can be delicate. The wizard starts a methodical search of the room.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Derp, I have that rogue gestalt level, don't I... I keep forgetting about that.

Search: (1d20+8)[23]
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Snark View Post
    Well if SANE science could fix this problem it would have been done already

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

Tchinik just grins as he walks around carefully, face becoming more serious. He pokes around a bit with his spear, turning any detritus over to see if there is any clues not obvious but it is apparent he is only giving a half-hearted attempt.

Spoiler
    Show

With a +3 to search, I'm thinking his wayward personality does not lend itself well to focused searching.
    (1d20+3)[5]

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ettin in the Playground

Surtros studies the frescoes around the room, searching for clues. He's not familiar with the cultural origins, but the purpose of the room and the table seems to indicate some sort of burial preparation with vistas of familiar royal scenes easing the passage of souls to the afterlife.

Urol, Connaught, Amiyah and Tchinik poke about the ruined model city, finding nothing noteworthy. While no doubt of interest to scholars it holds no immediate relevance to them. The passageway to the east seems to be the result of the collapsing or shifting of the construction as the unfinished crack extends into darkness. The little elemental proceeds down the gap.

Lora hovers above the searchers in the room, on the lookout for magic. Again, nothing is evident, at least until with a flicker the swirling smoke once more begins to dance across the archway and the two magic auras blink back into her awareness (enchantment on the arch, evocation on the large room that you are in).

4. - Top - End - #34
    Firbolg in the Playground

Lora calls down to the rest. "Hmm the magic is back. The whole room shows evocation. Beware."

She glides down and lands next to the low stone table in the center of the room. She looks around it in curiosity, then touches the table, trying to identify the magic of the room.

Show
    Land in M21. Search then touch the table, trying to use magic insight to identify the spell.
    Search: (1d20+4)[5]
    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    Keston Tornok for GF's AoW
    Loradralsornux for GF's Savage Tide
    Avakuss for kinem's Planescape: Center of All
    Sgt Ladaran Xiloscient for MrAbdiel's D&D-Day: The Ballad of Echo Company (WW2 with D&D Rules)
    Ganzak for Toliudar's Coming Unstuck

Extended Signature - More detailed game/character notes

5. - Top - End - #35
    Titan in the Playground

"Do you think it has to do with where we are in the room?" he call out to Lora. "Perhaps some means of detection? Maybe we should leave the room while someone inspects the room a little more closely?"

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

"I don't see any mechanical traps, or anything else of interest... oh dear, really?" Amiyah glances nervously back at the archway.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground

"Evocation, not Necromancy? These designs remind me of a burial preparation chamber, but clearly the spell isn't meant to preserve. If it were supposed to blow us up, would it not have done so already?"
    D&D is the only game I can think of (with the possible exception of Calvinball) where the only way to lose is by playing to win.
    "'Elvish barbeque' is what happens when the Quessir send one of their Evokers to deal with an orc invasion and then go home for the evening." - Elmah Dryearghymn, an elven Evoker, as depicted to the left

8. - Top - End - #38

"I agree. One way to find out."

Lora opens her wings and with a large flap of her wings she launches herself up towards the arch. She glides towards the last portion of the way and lands at the top of the stairs (S20).
    Show
    Sgt Ladaran Xiloscient for MrAbdiel's D&D-Day: The Ballad of Echo Company (WW2 with D&D Rules)

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ettin in the Playground

The source of magic and lack of any obvious effect is confusing. Lora decides to take matters into her own hands and glides back across the room to where Surtros is, deliberately through the archway of skeletons, snakes and smoke. As she flies through the sorcerous arch an unnerving chill washes over her, unsettling her.

...a few moments later whoosh! and inferno of flame erupts from the archway sealing the portal with magical flames. The heat is intense, but is directed in only one direction - into the room that depicts the scale model of the city - the room that Urol, Tchinik, Amiyah & Connaught are in! Even at the distance that they are at, they still feel their skin start to scald and hair start to curl and crisp. Urol yelps as his beard starts to cinder! Worse, the wall of fire slowly starts moving toward them across the room, inching its way north and threatening to burn the group to a crisp!!

Spoiler: stuff happens
    Show
    Lora save vs Will DC15 (1d20+7)[12] + AP (1d6)[1] Fail - Shaken for 1 round

Fire damage (unless somehow resisted):
    Urol (1d4)[2]
    Amiyah (1d4)[2]
    Connaught (1d4)[1]

Wall of fire is currently across archway and moves north at 15ft per round. Next round it will be at the southern edge of the alcove, as helpfully illustrated :

10. - Top - End - #40
    Titan in the Playground

Over the roar of the flames that leap up into existence the barbarian curses but glances around. Pointing at the crevice in the wall to the east he shouts at Urol and Tchninik picking up the young wizard and cradling her in his arms as he hotfoots it towards the crevice. "Come on. run before it roasts us alive, get in in front of me, I'll block the entrance!"

Spoiler: Connaught
    Show

Pick up Amiyah and run towards that crack in K29

Thanks to Emperor Ing for the nice Avatar

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ogre in the Playground

"Oh, it's an automatic crematorium! Splendid!" He's gotten so good at sarcasm that at this point it's just hard to tell whether he's excited or distressed. He takes a step back and holds aloft a sphere, throwing a mystic hammer at the arch.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    I believe this works out to move action to take out the Hammersphere, standard to activate it, plus a 5-foot step backward, and then the hammer attacks on its own for 3d6 force damage. Spiritual Weapon ignores DR, and I'm pretty sure it also ignores hardness, but either way. It'll be in existence for 7 rounds, but right now it's just going to take a cursory swing at the archway to see if damaging it will disrupt the spell.

(3d6)[8]

Also obligatory HAMMER...DOWN!
    D&D is the only game I can think of (with the possible exception of Calvinball) where the only way to lose is by playing to win.
    "'Elvish barbeque' is what happens when the Quessir send one of their Evokers to deal with an orc invasion and then go home for the evening." - Elmah Dryearghymn, an elven Evoker, as depicted to the left

12. - Top - End - #42
    Titan in the Playground

As Connaught rushes out, Tchinik pushes the others forward.
    "Come one, Surtros, we need to get out of here." as he follow the barbarian.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ogre in the Playground

Amiyah shrieks, the sound blending with Khalil's ear-piercing scream. Parrots do not like fire! She doesn't resist as Connaught scoops her up, instead focusing her will on her familiar. Go to the crack in the wall. Other than that, there's not much the wizard can do. She really needs to learn some energy protection spells, or get a wand of resist energy or something.

14. - Top - End - #44

A wave of sorrow washes through Lora. The arch erupts in flame, barely missing the feathers on her still outstretched wings. She turns, looks, and realizes what she just caused. Her eyes go wide. Seeing those trapped start moving for the passage she understands their plan. "Yes, out of the way. I'll try to stop the flames." He words don't vibrate with her normal confident voice.

The dragonborn drops her shield and once again summons the ability to cancel magic.

Show
    Remember, with the fire aura, no one has taken damage from the crematorium yet.

Targeted Dispel Magic on the arch as before.
    ASF check (fail on a 1) (1d10)[7]
    Dispel Check (1d20+4)[20] (with -2 for being shaken)

Effect: Everyone within 30' has Fire Resist 5
    Show

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ettin in the Playground

Connaught, Amiyah, Tchinik and Urol dash for the crack in the wall, just barely making it through as the searing heat washes past them incinerating anything left behind. Surtros holds aloft his hammersphere orb, and at his command a huge magical warhammer flashes into being. It begins smashing and bashing the archway, stone and dust flying with the demolition. Lora concentrates and uses her innate draconic power to suppress the magic of the archway...the curls of wisping smoke dissipate but the raging fire sweeping the larger room does not, only finally extinguishing when it reaches the far wall!

Hustling and ducking down the fissure the four boobytrap escapees burst into a small chamber of worked stone where Connaught's elemental calmly waits for them. The walls are covered with eroded glyphs and hieroglyphic images depicting what appear to be batlike creatures feasting on humanoids. The eastern wall, beyond a low archway, consists of a strangely out of place expanse of shiny metal.

Spoiler: spellcraft checks
    Show
    Amiyah (1d20+13)[28]
    tchinik (1d20+4)[12]
    Spoiler: Amiyah only
    Show
    The sheet of metal which forms the eastern wall is the result of a wall of iron spell.

Spoiler: Map
    Show

16. - Top - End - #46

The others' escape helped Lora put aside the arch's effect. She turns to Surtros. "Crematorium? Should be safe to go in now. Getting back out will take some care. I'll go ahead. Don't wait too long. Safer while I've suppressed the arch's magic. Maybe they'll need your spell when you get there."

Lora briskly walks down the stairs and hurries over to the side passage to follow the others.
    Show

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ogre in the Playground

"A crematorium you activated," he corrects her, soft and grim that the others cannot hear his recrimination. While the archway is suppressed, he doesn't waste time stepping past, but he presses his coin to its cold stone side and murmurs a prayer of thanks to Tymora for sparing the lives of his companions...and the gnome. The hammer is the first into the gap, accompanying the elemental, and the priest himself brings up the rear.

What he sees doesn't really reassure him. "First snakes, then bats. Are we quite sure we aren't stumbling through the layers of the hells?"

He tries to see if he can get a decent look at the metal from his vantage point, calling on memories from the old days to check if he's bought or sold something of its like before...

Spoiler
    Show
    Appraising the metal: (1d20+8)[11]

18. - Top - End - #48
    Titan in the Playground

Knocking off some of the still burning embers from his beard, the ash floating on the air as is slowly falls and rests on the ground, Tchinik says "Well, to be honest, I would only have imagined that I would have been cremated after my death, not as the cause." he looks around and, seeing the serious look on everyone's face, he fakes a serious smile as he walks over to the metal. "Touch room..." he mumbles off as he inspects it.
    "No idea what that is for... what about you, Amiyah?"

19. - Top - End - #49

Lora reaches the others in the small chamber. She is not happy with herself. "I'm glad you all made it through. That was my fault. My apologies. We'll have to have a plan for the way out." She gazes at the images on the wall.

Show
    Knowledge check. History or religion, same modifier. Maybe my dragon mentor happened to mention something pertinent.
    (1d20+1)[5]
    Then again, maybe not.
    Last edited by Cavir; 2016-10-24 at 02:51 PM.
    Show

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ogre in the Playground

Amiyah takes a good look around, absently petting the trembling parrot clinging to her shoulder. That metallic wall looks awfully familiar. It's completely smooth, too much so to be made by mortal hands. "Ah, a wall of iron spell! I wonder if dispelling would have any effect?"

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ogre in the Playground

Surtros flicks some of his hair out of his face and makes sure to hold back the floating warhammer, glancing at Lora every so often. There's a reticence to him for his harsh words, of course, but better a lesson learned be reinforced lest that endemic crusaderish scorn for one's own continued existence put them all at risk. Amiyah's comment, however, draws both eyes to the Calish'ite. "I believe we just established that our first instinct when encountering a magical construction should NOT be 'tamper with it'. Is not a Wall of Iron spell a relatively powerful conjuration? Who put it there? And how recently?"
    Last edited by Kelvin360; 2016-10-25 at 05:19 AM.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Titan in the Playground

Connaught brushes the ash off his muscles arms a grin behind the beard. "With powerful magical traps like that there must be something worth protecting in here eh?"

At the mention ofvthe wall of iron Connaught looks at the wall more closely. Fingers brushing the snake demons. "A spell to block a passage, can we just push or pull it down?". Connaught looks around the edges of the wall for purchase where one could wedge something in to get some purchase. Before also nodding at the elemental, "Go under then come back and tell me what you see. See how thick"

23. - Top - End - #53

"It's not an ongoing spell for me to dispel. Something worth protecting, or based on these drawings something worth keeping in? If it could be pushed, then it could be pushed towards us. We've seen one trap, this could be another. Let's see what the elemental has to say. If it is thick, my dragon fire would still take a lot of time to get through it. "

Lora activates her magic insight again and scans the room.
    Show

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ogre in the Playground

Amiyah runs a finger down the surface of the wall, frowning. "It is indeed a powerful conjuration. Hmm... a wall of iron will rust the same as mundane iron. Given the humid climate, I would say that this has been cast relatively recently. That or the caster put some sort of preservation spell on it, but I can't see why they would go to that much trouble to keep it looking pretty in the middle of a ruin."

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ettin in the Playground

Lora and Surtros join the others, a great whoosh sound of flame echoing down the passage several seconds behind them suggesting that the boobytrap has in fact not yet been de-activated after all.

Nevertheless they are safe and shortly Surtros and Amiyah are together inspecting the strange metal wall. It's definitely iron and appears as if the conjuration has occurred quite recently as it is not blemished at all.

Lora scans the room and finds no sign of magic. Connaught probes the edges for purchase but can find none. It is firmly wedged. At his command the little earth elemental disappears as its form flows into the stone of the floor. It reappears shortly afterward and shrugs at him uttering in gravelly Terran "Not far. Another room".

Urol pipes up "There must be something interesting through there. Maybe we just need to break it down?".

26. - Top - End - #56
    Titan in the Playground

Tchinik walks up to Urol as he looks around.
    "I think that's a good idea if we can manage it without getting turned into a well done steak. Don't know how to manage to do that, through. Anyone have any ideas?"

27. - Top - End - #57

"We could combine our might in trying to knock it down. Barring that, we make a hole with steel and dragonfire."

She looks at the wall some more. "Could the elemental weaken the rock around the iron wall? Did it say they was anything right on the other side that we would be crushing?"

Lora goes around the group and refreshes the Enduring Exposure invocation while a plan is decided on.

Show
    Break it down with STR checks, with Connaught as the main person and others assisting him?

Dragonfire is 3d6. Subtract the hardness and it will take a while especially if it is more than 1 inch thick, but doable.

Darn, Foehammer only lists bypassing DR not hardness
    But... Foehammer and Tactical Strike both give +2d6 damage. Those combined with coup de grace would be better than the fire.
    Show

28. - Top - End - #58
    Titan in the Playground

Connaught leans against the wall leveraging some his weight against the wall experimentally to see if it will shift at all with just his bulk pressing against it. He flexes his muscles and presses hard against the metallic wall. At the words from Amiyah he grins, "Lets make sure we can knock thos one down eh?"

Spoiler: Str check
    Show

(1d20+6)[21]

If he fails he sends Muddy into the walls to start burrowing down and along the walls to remove the secure edges that secure the wall of iron.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ogre in the Playground

Surtros stays as far away from the commotion as he possibly can while he waits for the Hammersphere to fade, trying to figure out mathematically how many healing spells he's going to need when the wall or some similarly hateful inanimate object inevitably starts crushing everyone.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ettin in the Playground

Connaught throws his body against the wall but the metal won't budge. It's stuck fast. He commands his little earthen minion to start work sapping around the edges, the elemental making very slow tedious progress as it tries to work at the iron seal.

Spoiler: renovating
    Show
    Something I didn't realize until now but earth elementals actually have "earth glide" rather than any ability to burrow or affect earth. So when it comes to chipping away at it Muddy is not much better than you guys. The wall/ area has hardness 10 so on a max damage hit with +1 damage for earth mastery Muddy is going to do 1hp damage. Possible but will take a while. Others in the party will hit harder.

Dragonfire at 3d6 fire is not going to work as fire is half damage (max 9) vs hardness (10)