New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 31 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Ghostfoot's Savage Tide (IC) Pt 2

Lora describes her insight on the arrow tooth. "As much as flying with heavy armor would be useful, it is at a price I will not pay. Who wants it?" She'll give it to whoever wants it.

She moves over to the pyramid to investigate the magic there.
    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    Keston Tornok for GF's AoW
    Loradralsornux for GF's Savage Tide
    Avakuss for kinem's Planescape: Center of All
    Sgt Ladaran Xiloscient for MrAbdiel's D&D-Day: The Ballad of Echo Company (WW2 with D&D Rules)
    Ganzak for Toliudar's Coming Unstuck

Extended Signature - More detailed game/character notes

2. - Top - End - #122
    Titan in the Playground

Connaught looks in surprise as the creature's body explodes. Then back to the pyramid. Grinning at the tooth he looks back at the others, "Let's see what we have in here eh? I'll see about prising this lid off".

Getting his blade ready he seeks a crack that will allow him to wedge the lid off the pyramid to reveal the goodies within.

Spoiler: Checks
    Show

Search take 20
    Str check (1d20+4)[15]
    Thanks to Emperor Ing for the nice Avatar

3. - Top - End - #123
    Ettin in the Playground

The top section of the pyramid slides to one side. Inside is a mummified corpse bound with ceremonial cords. With its crumbling headress it seems some sort of priest or religious individual. Draped about its withered neck is a striking ceremonial golden necklace carved into intertwining shapes of bat and lizard. The body rests in a sea of thousands of ancient golden coins unfortunately the whole interior choked with disgusting foul mold tendrils that immediately burst clouds of vile choking fungoid spores all about!

Spoiler: mummy rot death spores!
    Show
    20ft burst of spores
    Mummy rot, DC16 Fort to resist

Once again, everyone has a 50% chance of being nearby (1 is hit, 2 missed)
    Lora (1d2)[1]
    Connaught 1
    Amiyah (& Khalil?) (1d2)[2]
    Tchinik (1d2)[1]
    Surtros (1d2)[1]
    Urol (1d2)[1]

4. - Top - End - #124
    Titan in the Playground

As Connaught starts to pry the lid off of the pyramid, Tchinik's curiosity get the better of him as he saunters over to get a look.
    "A bet to see if..." is all he gets out as a cloud erupts from the pyramid. Turning and covering his mouth, a takes a few steps before clearing his nose and spitting whatever saliva was in his mouth.
    "Dask! I'm going to have the taste of wyvern dung in my mouth for a week!"

5. - Top - End - #125
    Ogre in the Playground

Considering how everyone has been blundering into every possible trap since the minute they stepped into the dungeon, Surtros catches sight of the sarcophagus and follows the instinct to immediately raise his shield, crouching behind it with a 'this again?' look on his face as Connaught spills disease spores all over everything. "If that catches anyone we'd best hope it's not instantly lethal, because I didn't pray to have a removal available today."
    D&D is the only game I can think of (with the possible exception of Calvinball) where the only way to lose is by playing to win.
    "'Elvish barbeque' is what happens when the Quessir send one of their Evokers to deal with an orc invasion and then go home for the evening." - Elmah Dryearghymn, an elven Evoker, as depicted to the left

6. - Top - End - #126
    Ogre in the Playground

After the fiend's fiery explosion, Amiyah and her parrot are prudently staying well back of the pyramid. FWUMP! The wizard immediately spins around and covers her face with the fabric of her voluminous sleeve, fishing in her pack for a veil. (Hey, just because she doesn't have to wear it anymore doesn't mean that it can't be useful.) Tying the thin silk over her lower face, Amiyah turns back around.

"Is that a mummy in there?" She takes a cautious step forward, standing up on her tiptoes to see better. "It is! Oh gods, what if that was mummy rot, or some kind of deadly mold? Here, just a minute, I have a couple more veils and a scarf or two. If you have gloves, put them on before touching anything in there!" Amiyah rummages in her pack again. Mystra bless the wizard who invented bags of holding, she does not miss the days when she couldn't carry changes of clothing due to the weight.
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Snark View Post
    Well if SANE science could fix this problem it would have been done already

7. - Top - End - #127
    Ettin in the Playground

The billowing cloud of dust and spores settles, thankfully none showing signs of being overcome by the ancient disease and transforming into a horrid mummy lord!

Looking again at the contents of the elaborate sarcophagus Lora quickly establishes that the golden necklace of bats and lizards is magical, and that the cavity is otherwise laden with solid gold coins!

Spoiler: loot
    Show

8. - Top - End - #128

Lora breathes a small puff of flame to kill off any remaining spores. After handling the necklace, she hands it to Surtros and smiles. "A prayer bead of blessing. Yet another way you can help us all."

She then turns to Connaught and offers the arrow tooth. "This seems to be your area of specialty."

Looking at the large pile of gold. "A pile to be loved by any dragon. Who has a magical bag that can carry all that?" She'll tirelessly help load the gold.
    Show
    Sgt Ladaran Xiloscient for MrAbdiel's D&D-Day: The Ballad of Echo Company (WW2 with D&D Rules)

9. - Top - End - #129
    Ogre in the Playground

"I do!" Amiyah (still veiled, she's not taking any chances) swings her pack off her back and takes out a large bag. "Extradimensional storage space, the adventuring wizard's best friend."

10. - Top - End - #130
    Ogre in the Playground

Some damned form of curiosity catches Surtros in its grasp and against his better judgment he shuffled forward to get a better look at the contents of the sarcophagus. When he does, he lets out a pained, somewhat hysterical laugh and crouches, leaning on his shield for support. "Oh, no, we're just looting a mummified priest from an ancient, hostile civilization. Only good can come of this."

Then Lora offers him the bead and he stares at it for a good while before taking it with a sigh. "I...fine, just...allow me a moment to perform the usual rites. Guidance, fancy, beggingforforgiveness, cancelling out the no-doubt numerous curses, and so on." He doesn't know who this ex-person worshipped in life, but requesting not to be smote for one's heresy is something that transcends most cultural boundaries. Requesting a burst of speed from Tymora in the event it rises from the grave to attack is just a bonus.
    D&D is the only game I can think of (with the possible exception of Calvinball) where the only way to lose is by playing to win.
    "'Elvish barbeque' is what happens when the Quessir send one of their Evokers to deal with an orc invasion and then go home for the evening." - Elmah Dryearghymn, an elven Evoker, as depicted to the left

11. - Top - End - #131
    Titan in the Playground

Tchinik looks on for a moment before dusting himself off.
    "Maybe a little less haste in these situations?" he says with a grin once he realizes everyone is ok.
    "Ok, now we have a fancy bead. Ready to keep going?"

12. - Top - End - #132
    Titan in the Playground

Connaught grins, blowing the toxic dust out of his beard. "A good day eh... Plenty of nice trinkets when we get back to civilisation." The axe in hand he looks about carefully, "That floating orb of lightning flew away that way and that's the only way to go. Come on, lets head that way."

13. - Top - End - #133

Loradralsornux is amused by Surtros' hesitation and smiles. "Yes, good did come of it. Magic and gold, in this case. Bahamut and Tymora have big plans for us. No worries."

She heads to the next room with Connaught, activating her magic insight to scan the next room.
    Show

14. - Top - End - #134
    Titan in the Playground

Tchinik gives Lora a very dry look with an arched eyebrow.
    "Well, that maybe be all sunshine and daisies for the two of you, but what of us who choose to follow another path?" he says with a very serious look on his face before his face cracks into a crooked grin and a smile. "I imagine Oghma has plans for me, too, otherwise I might have not lived this long. That, and trusty friends to share the burden and luck. And booty."
    Still smiling, he looks around. "Do you think this end of this path or do you suspect that there is a hidden chamber or passage about?" he says to no one in particular.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Ogre in the Playground

Amiyah puts the bag of holding back into her pack and swings it back onto her shoulders. She frowns as Connaught blows dust out of his beard; that can't be healthy. "We should make sure to wash both ourselves and our clothes before boarding the ship again, just in case that mummy dust turns out to be toxic or carrying disease." With that she turns to investigate the next corridor. "Just a moment, you two, let me check for traps first."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Search: (1d20+8)[23]

16. - Top - End - #136
    Ettin in the Playground

Amiyah moves into the next room with Connaught & Lora, the others following. She searches the area around the varrangoin nest but finds nothing of concern, and nor does Lora when she scans for magic. The statues flanking the archway to the final room do bear some faint old carvings that indicate an ancient magical wall of iron trap, but the mechanism has been triggered and the wall obviously conjured in the previous area where you found it.

The only evident way forward is through the archway and into the room with the niches, ancient corpses and the yawning shaft...
    Last edited by Ghostfoot; 2017-02-06 at 12:25 PM.

17. - Top - End - #137

Lora chuckles and smiles with Tchinik's chiding. She scans the next room while Amiyah searches. "Now this looks like a trap but the only thing I can see is a triggered trap for the wall we smashed back there. It's tight quarters in here. If something attacks us, fall back to the last room to maximize our power."

The dragonborn pauses to look at the decorated circular stone in the floor. Seeing the nest and figuring it was thus safe, she steps onto it and uses her morningstar to pick through the nest, looking for anything of interest.

"Those were pretty good size spiders. Nothing some flames can't handle if we come across more of them though."
    Show

18. - Top - End - #138
    Ogre in the Playground

Surtros gives the trap a suspicious glare. "Not to play the role of nag again, but I'm somewhat troubled by the idea that someone made it far enough to set this off, yet the treasure you just procured was still safe in its place. Are we on the trail of an ascetic archeologist?"

19. - Top - End - #139
    Titan in the Playground

"Not to eager to see the spiders who made these, to be honest. Never been a fan of those bugs." Tchinik says with a shudder. "Not a nag, good Surtros, but a proper question. Could have been the spiders that set it off, though I see no carcass. Or, the spiders could have made off with the intrepid explorer." He gives another, smaller, shudder before continuing. "Either way, let us proceed with caution. Looks like we have that way to go, unless we want to continue digging around here."

20. - Top - End - #140
    Ogre in the Playground

"Perhaps the explorer simply didn't look hard enough to find the treasure, or they were only after a specific item." Amiyah frowns behind her veil. "Caution sounds like an excellent plan, though. There's no telling what might lie ahead."

21. - Top - End - #141
    Titan in the Playground

Connaught looks at the dark passage and shakes his head. "It smells like a trap. Give my rocky friend here a torch and he shall lead the way. He can feel no pain and even if he is destroyed will merely return to the rock from where he was hewn." Connaught waits for the elemental to get a torch then will let the elemental lead the way by a good 10ft or so.

22. - Top - End - #142
    Ettin in the Playground

Lora sifts through the foul varrangoin nest but finds nothing of interest. The earth elemental moves forward into the final chamber, passing unobstructed between the statues and archway and pausing next to the shaft.

The rest of the party moves forward, similarly unimpeded as they join the little elemental. The shaft drops down into darkness, it's base out of sight far below. A few fist-sized spiders lurk about the walls of the shaft and you can smell a cold dank odor from below.

Niches containing ancient mummified bodies line the walls of the room and also the shaft as it drops away. There must be hundreds of them. Cradled in the arms of one of the uppermost corpses in the shaft you can see a glittering golden statuette carved to resemble a bat.

23. - Top - End - #143
    Titan in the Playground

Tchinik looks at the golden bat creature, giving it a sideways glance.
    "Does that just scream 'Touch me, I'm not cursed' to anyone else?" he gives a little shake of his head as sighs. "Can anyone divine whether the statue radiates magic?"

24. - Top - End - #144
    Ogre in the Playground

Surtros snickers. "Oh, that might be cursed but the prayer beads weren't? I have a coin we can flip next time we want to do the cursed ancient items dance. Lora should be able to tell whether it's magic...but not necessarily whether the magic is hostile. On the bright side, if it contains a hex of the nonpermanent variety, I have a spell that can offer a second chance to whomsoever wishes to..." he suppresses the appropriately ironic cackling. "Test their luck."

25. - Top - End - #145
    Titan in the Playground

Connaught looks about in wonder, "That's a big gold statue eh? How dobwe grab it!" looking at Lora he nods, "Any chance you can fly and get it, we can tie a rope to you if anything bad should happen? "

26. - Top - End - #146

Lora looks over the edge with her 60' darkvision and magic insight. "Yes, I can fly down there. The elemental could just move vertically along the rock and grab it, no? That would also let us see the reaction of the spiders too." She pulls out a silver piece. "Would someone cast Light on this? We'll drop it down and see what happens before we try it ourselves."
    Show

27. - Top - End - #147
    Ogre in the Playground

"I would, but I can only maintain one light spell at a time." Amiyah taps her headband, currently radiating a greenish light. "Surtros, do you have the light spell prepared?"

28. - Top - End - #148
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cavir View Post
    Lora looks over the edge with her 60' darkvision and magic insight. "Yes, I can fly down there. The elemental could just move vertically along the rock and grab it, no? That would also let us see the reaction of the spiders too." She pulls out a silver piece. "Would someone cast Light on this? We'll drop it down and see what happens before we try it ourselves."
    Connaught grins at the dragon born, "Aye, that's true. My rocky friend, go fetch the giant gold statue. Wrap this rope around it so it don't drop into darkness." .
    He ties a nose in the silk rope, hammers a piton into the path by his foot and gestures the rocky beast to go and slide through the walls to fetch the gold.

29. - Top - End - #149
    Ogre in the Playground

The priest shakes his head and rummages around for a copper instead, not one to use ten times the resources necessary. He's mostly silent save for the incantation that fills their immediate area with a golden glow, and doesn't wait to loose the coin into the abyss.

30. - Top - End - #150
    Titan in the Playground

Tchinik peers at the statue for a bit before backing up.
    "I'll keep an eye back here, make sure nothing sneaks up on us. Don't be getting any curse, ok?"