New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 31 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Ghostfoot's Savage Tide (IC) Pt 2

Surtros casts the softly glowing copper into the shaft. It plummets down for a second or two before splish landing in the water at the bottom of the well 80 feet or so below. You can dimly make out the reflecting light of the coin twinkling in the water far below.

The little earth creature sinks into the flagstones at Connaught's bidding, soon after it's torso appearing from the shaft near the niche containing the golden statuette. It reaches out and grabs the dangling rope, tying it (hopefully) securely around the valuable item before disappearing and travelling back up to his master.

With a few short tugs the glittering items breaks free from the rigid bony hands of the corpse and is swiftly hauled up to the waiting party. It is a fantastic treasure, it's lean and angular craftsmanship a striking depiction of a stylized bat. Rubies glitter in it's eyes and tiny slivers of pearl are affixed for teeth and fangs. Lora assesses the item for magic to see if anything else can be gleaned.

Spoiler: Knowledge checks
    Show
    All fail

Spoiler: Magic insight
    Show
    The bat statuette radiates a faint transmutation aura. On detailed study it appears to be some sort of key. That's all...

There doesn't seem to be anywhere further to proceed here.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Firbolg in the Playground

Lora handles the statuette some more. "Hmm. It is magical, some sort of key with faint transmutation, but I can't get more of read on it. Let's find what it unlocks. Look around here some more? Have the elemental check the bottom of the shaft? Was there something in the big statue in the other tunnel that this would fit into? "
    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    Keston Tornok for GF's AoW
    Loradralsornux for GF's Savage Tide
    Avakuss for kinem's Planescape: Center of All
    Sgt Ladaran Xiloscient for MrAbdiel's D&D-Day: The Ballad of Echo Company (WW2 with D&D Rules)
    Ganzak for Toliudar's Coming Unstuck

Extended Signature - More detailed game/character notes

3. - Top - End - #153
    Titan in the Playground

"Maybe he can dig around a bit? Perhaps a hidden room behind one of these walls or a collapsed area?" the Mulani offers as he shifts his stance a bit but keeping a tight grip on his spear.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Ogre in the Playground

"Very possible, Tchinik. The gods know this place is old enough to have places cut off by collapsed walls or ceilings." For lack of anything better to do Amiyah starts examining the room around them, looking for hidden doors or traps.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Search: (1d20+8)[19]
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Snark View Post
    Well if SANE science could fix this problem it would have been done already

5. - Top - End - #155
    Titan in the Playground

Connaught hefts up the statue grinning at the massive jewelled thing. "Its a good find eh? Aye, lest backtrack our steps slowly searching for something that'll fit this glittering monstrosity. Must be more." he looks at the little elemental and reaches into his bel pouch and tosses it a gold coin to nibble happily on. "Good lad eh... Have a look about through all the nearby walls eh. Looks for passages or holes or chambers." He pats it on its rocky head before watching it move out and then helping the others search for a key hole.

Spoiler: Searc
    Show

(1d20)[9]
    Thanks to Emperor Ing for the nice Avatar

6. - Top - End - #156
    Ogre in the Playground

Though not the most perceptive man himself, Surtros has a few tricks up his sleeve. Amiyah finds herself noticing the oddest things, suddenly but temporarily hyperaware of the shifted and out of place.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Casting Divine Insight and then attempting Aid Another.

Divine Insight grants a +10 bonus to a skill check (in this case the Search check) and Aid Another offers another +2 if I roll 10 or higher.

(1d20+2)[22]
    D&D is the only game I can think of (with the possible exception of Calvinball) where the only way to lose is by playing to win.
    "'Elvish barbeque' is what happens when the Quessir send one of their Evokers to deal with an orc invasion and then go home for the evening." - Elmah Dryearghymn, an elven Evoker, as depicted to the left

7. - Top - End - #157
    Ettin in the Playground

You spend the next few hours searching the ruins from top to bottom, while Urol busies himself sketching and taking samples of the bugs and lizards that he comes across. Despite extensive searching by the elemental and with the aid of magic you are unable to find anything else of interest - a few minor collapsed areas but nothing that the statuette seems to interact with.

Eventually the sun starts to dip low in the sky and shadows start to deepen in the jungle outside. It's time to make your way back to the ships before more basilisks rouse themselves from the ruins! The trip back to the Sea Wyvern and Blue Nixie is hot but uneventful and by the time you set foot on deck again you are exhausted and ready to relax. That evening you entertain the crew and passengers of both ships with tales of the fearsome creatures that you bested in the ancient ruined city of Tamoachan, and everyone listens in wonder at the tales of strange beasts and wondrous treasures. Urol pipes up now and then in his own odd way with comments about the growth of flora or the resilience of certain creatures - clearly he's excited to have been part of it despite his lack of interpersonal skills.

At the end of the evening Lavinia and the Jade Ravens return to the Blue Nixie as everyone retires to their bunks, ready to set sail tomorrow for the nearby Tabaxi village of Renkrue which lies just off the coast of the mainland on the isle of Axuxal. Here you plan to restock once more before setting course due south to the fabled island kingdom of Nimbral.

8. - Top - End - #158

Dinner concludes and the dragonborn offers Bahamut's blessings (Endure Elements) to each who accept, including the crew, with encouragement for a job well done. As Lavinia and the others row back to the Blue Nixie Lora takes to the air and flies overhead, both to provide watch and to stretch her wings a bit. Coming back she circles around the ship then lands. Assured of watch being kept she calls it a night.
    Show
    Sgt Ladaran Xiloscient for MrAbdiel's D&D-Day: The Ballad of Echo Company (WW2 with D&D Rules)

9. - Top - End - #159
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Crap, I can't believe I missed you posting here, GF!

On the way back to the ship, everyone is a bit anxious to be back, Tchinik included. He has not interest in being the meal, or statue, of one of those creatures. He's jumpy the whole way back but noticeably relaxes when they spot the ships and practically sags once aboard, the weight lifted from him.
    Once cleaned up and a quick towel bath to remove the sweat and grime, he makes his way back to eat with the others. While not particularly in the mood, the sleeping pallet calling to him, he does pipe in the tale of their adventures, giving each member of the group time to shine in the spotlight of the story, each a hero in their own right. As food is eaten and drinks drunk, he feels better and, after a short time, stands and bows to the others as they heckle him a bit for going to sleep so early.
    "No, no... no grandchildren. At least, not yet." he says with a smile. "But, rest I need. I bid you all a good night and will see you bring and early." he makes his way back, removing the last of his armor and setting his spear and rapier nearby as he heads off to sleep.

10. - Top - End - #160
    Titan in the Playground

Connaught enjoys the evening of drink and entertainment, sitting by Lirtith and describing many many of his companions heroic actions. The actions getting more outrageous and exaggerated with every tankard of grog.

Before he passes out he sets up the golden altar in their living space so everyone can admire it before turning in.

Spoiler: how many days?
    Show

How many days to the next village?

11. - Top - End - #161
    Ogre in the Playground

Try as he might, Surtros just can't seem to find sleep on that first night, instead taking to pacing the deck at odd intervals. Occasionally he stops and rolls a few die in an attempt to amuse himself (though whether he correctly predicted any results is anyone's guess). He might be seen checking in with Amiyah or Lora a few times before they depart belowdecks for the night, gathering information on what divine spells they might need for their projects over the trip. Every so often his keen ears might pick up a slightly annoyed or bemused grumbling over why he isn't praying for guidance like a reasonable priest at this hour.

"Well I know what the answer would be, for one: 'Figure it out yourself - what am I, your mother?' In all fairness, that would be my response as well. She has more important things to do than tell me what tomorrow's dinner will be."
    D&D is the only game I can think of (with the possible exception of Calvinball) where the only way to lose is by playing to win.
    "'Elvish barbeque' is what happens when the Quessir send one of their Evokers to deal with an orc invasion and then go home for the evening." - Elmah Dryearghymn, an elven Evoker, as depicted to the left

12. - Top - End - #162
    Ogre in the Playground

Much as usual, Amiyah spends her time on the ship with her nose buried in a book, talking about the fey with Skald ("How can I tell whether or not a creature is likely to be susceptible to the laughter spell? It didn't really work on that fiend..."), and sometimes attempting to be sociable with her comrades. She talks a little with Urol about strange and mysterious beasts, but finds his enthusiasm a bit wearing.
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Snark View Post
    Well if SANE science could fix this problem it would have been done already

13. - Top - End - #163
    Titan in the Playground

As they idle along, carried by both surf and wind, Tchinik seeks out Urol.
    After some small talk, he asks "So, what do you make of the area we investigated? The whole thing seemed... odd, to me."

14. - Top - End - #164
    Ettin in the Playground

The evening passes without incident, everyone sleeping soundly after the boisterous festivities. The ships set sail hugging the southern coast of Chult for the next few days. Everyone is in high spirits with the tales and trinkets from the exploration of Tamoachan fresh in your minds. Urol is content to pore over his specimens and sketches, while Lirith is constantly asking for blow by blow re-enactments of the battles. At Tchinik's questioning Urol responds "Odd? Nay, young 'un. The ruins of Tamoachan are simply a monument to a time of greatness that has since passed. We were fortunate to visit and see what evidence remained of the people of yesterday. A unique culture. And besides, look at all of these beetles I found! Why it will be ten times as exciting when we get to the Isle of Dread!"

Eventually the ships peel away south from the coast and cross a small channel to the island of Axuxal. The village of Renkrue sits at its eastern end, and you see the straw huts and a few wooden structures as you enter the small harbour. As the Blue Nixie and the Sea Wyvern anchor Lavinia speaks to you "We will stay here overnight while we trade some supplies and restock. It is a sleepy village, safe enough. Then we will head south across the open ocean. Our only stop between here and the Isle of Dread will be at the island kingdom of Nimbral."

Spoiler: trading
    Show
    You can do any minor trading here at Renkrue to the value of 200gp per item.

15. - Top - End - #165
    Titan in the Playground

Tchinik smiles politely at the beetle comment. "Well, after meeting a creature who can turn you to stone, I don't know how I feel about being ten times as excited."
    Although he thinks that the conversation has run it's course, Tchinik continues to talk to Urol about this and that, indulging him in his beetle fascination.

Later, as the outlook spots the village, Tchinik gears up for town, though he doesn't really know of anything he needs. Once Lavinia has spoken, he looks around at the others.
    "I don't think I need anything, but looking around can't hurt. Besides, not knowing when we will be on land again makes me want to makes sure I spend some time on it when the chance approaches. I'll join anyone going, if for nothing more than company."

16. - Top - End - #166

Lora is interested in the tales the Urol has heard about the Isle of Dread but figures that can wait until they were closer. As the ship approaches the harbour she climbs the main mast to the top. She of course wanted to fly but wanted something, anything, of exercise to make up for being on the ship so long. Hanging onto the rigging she looked out across their destination. She started with the small village then took in the surrounding area from her perch, taking in the details and hoping to see something of interest. She had plenty of time to observe, sailing time was much slower than fighting time. She longed for a battle where she and her allies could conquer Bahamut's enemies.

Once the ship docked, the dragonborn leapt from her perch and glided, enjoying the freedom of the air. She passed over the Blue Nixie then circled seaward back toward the Sea Wyvern then landed on the dock as the others from the party disembarked.

"Any ideas on what to do til we sail again? If anyone wants to spar on the beach that would be fun."

Show
    Nothing to buy except some fresh rations as reserve.
    If she saw anything from high up (Spot @ +14) she will bring that up before the above question.
    Show

17. - Top - End - #167
    Titan in the Playground

Happy to see the shore the barbarian wades ashore waving a hand to invite his woman aboard ship to join him. Looking about he heads to the nearest inn or bar for some drinks and telling of tales and buying a couple of barrels of what passes for the islands beer of choice. Striding into the bar he bellows a loud "Barkeep. Ale, for me and my friends. And any that want to hear tales of adventure and daring" a gold coin flickers as he throws a pair of them to the barman "Let me tell of you the things we have seen and the beasts we have slain!" If there are some takers he'll launch into a loud and bombastic story telling of some of their adventures to date - mainly focusing on the adventures of his companions and down playing his own role in things.

Show

Buying some beer and that's about it I think

Back on track - if I go Astaroth would anyone like an item crafted? With our limited gold reserves it may have to be small and cheap items.

18. - Top - End - #168
    Ettin in the Playground

The Chultan village is enjoyable enough. The people are very welcoming and eager to hear your stories of bravery and adventure. They are used to a variety of cultures passing through and are quite worldly - given their location many ships that round the peninsula stop here to resupply. The local fermented drink is not that bad after a few and mixed with sweet juices, and the villagers entertain with song and dance that draws everyone in to interact.

The stop is peaceful, and would be totally uneventful if it wasn't for an angry mob over villagers waving machetes and chasing a half-naked Indo Ishivin through the hard mud streets toward the gangplank in the early morning. Despite any private wishes you may have the scoundrel manages to outrun his pursuers and dashes on board as you are preparing to depart. The villagers halt at the wharf, shouting insults and waving weaponry but otherwise content to taunt. "What? I simply offered to purchase one of the chieftain's daughters to accompany me for the boat ride. A bargain! Ungrateful cretins!". Captain Amella glowers at the indignant man but he is oblivious and shuffles off in a self-obsessed huff.

Once all is checked and secured the ships set sail for the long journey southwest to Nimbral.

The next three weeks are uneventful. The ships set sail away from the Chultan Peninsula into open waters. Strong currents challenge the helmsmen and the crew show their worth as able sailors. With little else to do you talk to the other passengers, relax and assist from time-to-time as you are able.

After the rolling monotony of the weeks at sea it is exciting when at last you hear Tavey the cabin boy cry out "Land a-ho!". Rising in the distance is the the Land of the Flying Hunt, the Sea Haven of Nimbral. The island nation does not disappoint with its naming as when your ships get closer a small group of flying creatures start to become visible, flying out to investigate your vessels. As they approach you see they are mighty winged pegasi, graceful white winged horses. Atop each pegasi is a splendid knight wearing incredible spired and fluted plate armour fashioned from rainbow-hued glass. The wondrous group circles the ships several times evidently making sure that you do not pose an immediate threat. Eventually they depart, flying in formation lances held high.

Your ships continue to close in on the islands and you see the small port city of Rauthaven rising up the terraced cliffs from the warehouses and fishing boats below.

19. - Top - End - #169
    Ogre in the Playground

Unsubstantiated rumors begin to circulate the ship that an unnamed someone apparently found an unscrupulous fellow willing to purchase Indo at a 'bargain' as well, funnily enough. Not that anyone knows whether the deal went though - one more thing to keep the boy on his toes.

Surtros turns down Lora's offer of outright sparring (both know full well how that one would turn out) but he does manage to procure several stacks of clay plates to use as target practice for her breath weapon. Keeping her aim sharp and all that. In between throws he would occasionally position himself 'in the way' to make it more difficult. He doesn't seem to mind a singe or three, faith in her abilities or her flame-resistant aura keeping him from flinching. As always, there's time afterwards for a quiet moment laying against the beach, listening to lapping waves and pointing out drifting stars.

===

Though conspicuously quiet for a while, the priest is one of the first to voice what he assumes is the first thing on everyone's mind after their impromptu inspection.

"No, don't worry, it's not just you. Speaking as someone from a merchant family even I thought that was ostentatious. I imagine Indo would agree with me, but the view is so poor from up his rear end he most likely didn't even see them, poor fellow."

20. - Top - End - #170
    Titan in the Playground

Tchinik spends most of his time as they leave village trying to keep people's spirits from flagging, giving them rhymes upon the open ocean. He spends more time trying, when not entertaining, with Urol, gaining what knowledge he can gleen from him.

Once landfall, is called out, he pats Urol on the shoulder as he says stands erect, back cracking audibly. "Come. A new sight to see, otherwise that lad wouldn't be sounding like a gaggle of geese." with that he makes his way above deck, feeling stiff but the site of land, and then the fantastic flying creatures, puts a smile on his face.
    "Ah, I feel as if I could jump into the ocean and swim the rest of the way there." he says to no one in particular.
    As Rauthaven comes into view, he smiles even larger. "I hope they have more than hard tack and fish to serve. My pallet could use a big, red steak fresh from the slaughter. Any more of these sea rations and I would go mad, I think."

21. - Top - End - #171

Loradralsornux

It was a relief to spend time off the ships at Renkrue. Practice time with Surtros wasn't quite what she was hoping for but she was still happy for it. She was sure Surtros was better with weapons than her but she failed in convincing him of that. The blasts of fire and ice attracted some of the locals, particularly the younger folk. Knowing he was protected from her flames she ended their session with a full on blast of fire at Surtros, burning away the seaweed on the beach but leaving the cleric unharmed. She waved an open hand towards Surtros then with a smile took to the air, giving him the full adulation of the impromptu audience.

Flying over the island village was wonderful. She wished her mentor Carizdolak could see what Lora had become thanks to her years of mentoring. Maybe some day she could make it back there for a visit. More so she desired her wings developing more so she could fly as much as she wanted and to find some spawn of Tiamat to battle. She knew her wings would come in time with practice. As to spawn, she had assumed much more battle and perhaps even death by now when she began the ritual of transformation. She had found a strong band of allies to fight with no matter what Evil they found. She had full faith in her Father though she was still curious what plans were for her. The ship's stops were primarily places of peace. Maybe that was the lesson- that there is plenty of Good out there worth fighting for. She nodded to herself then descended to join the others for dinner.

Lora was already on board helping the crew prep the ship when the mob came chasing Indo. He made it on board and survived the captain's glare, but just before heading inside the dragonborn lands between him and the doorway. She keeps her wings spread wide, towering over him even without the expanse of wings. She glares at him up close with her dragonborn toothy face. "You realize if you ever want to return home these people will great you the same way you left them? When we reach our final destination how do you expect to survive a week if there isn't a single soul that doesn't despise you? The only thing you have is your name and your money. Your name means nothing there besides making you a target. Every brigand there will want to slash your throat and take all that gold. And that will be the end of Indo Ishivin, known only for being the biggest Ishivin failure ever. If you want to avoid that you need to make yourself tolerable. I suggest you start by giving some respect to people on board this ship. You never know when some might decide to trade you off to some pirates if they hate you so. Think long and hard what you can do to change their minds before that situation comes to be." She glares at him for a bit more, trying to figure him out. Raptoran culture would never allow one to reach adulthood with that level of selfishness. She folded her wings, turned, then went back to helping the crew set sail.

Tavey's cry of "Land a-ho!" got Lora excited for at least a temporary end to being ship bound. She flew up to the top of the mast and held on to the rigging as was normal for her. With her draconic eyesight she is probably the first to pick out the pegasi and riders. She stood tall with wings spread wide in greeting as they circled. She did not take to the air so as to not cause concern. The patrol circled then headed back. She watched them fly off and noticed where they went to. She nodded and smiled to herself. "Another place for Good." Lora then glided back down to the deck to help prepare for reaching land.
    Show

22. - Top - End - #172
    Titan in the Playground

Connaught

The barbarian stares darkly at Indo, avoiding the noble as much as possible. A passing threat to feed him to the sea weighed down with an anchor a loudly spoken threat.

The three weeks with Lora are pkeseantvaa he realises he is growing more and more attached to the young noble women. One evening he looks carefully at her - "Why have you come on this trip. Really? I know it's better with you but it grows more dangerous...."

-------

At the "land ho" he runs on deck to see the flying horses. A grin "Valkyries! By the gods, they are magnificent. How hard would it be to train one do you think?"

23. - Top - End - #173
    Ettin in the Playground

The ships pull in to the docks and berth at the town of Rauthaven, the crew busy with their chores excited smiles on their faces. Lirith standing bold and proud next to Connaught, her red hair whipping in the wind, explaining confidently her plans to make a name for herself as an adventurer and hero fighting fearsome beasts across all lands.

You disembark, Lavinia advising that several days will be spent here before the next and most gruelling stage of the voyage across open seas to the southern isle. The slender dark-haired folk of the port city taverns are simple an pleasant enough, all heavily reliant on the sea for survival and full of many tales and superstitions as might be expected. More than a few of the city folk show signs of elvish heritage and both human and half-elf seem to get on with each other without any issue. Moving up through the terraced city the interior of the island stretches away beyond the city, fields and grasslands rolling gently away to the heavily forested interior.

You spot several more of the fantastical knights and majestic pegasi, but only from afar. It seems they don't mix much with the common city populace and aren't responsible for policing internal civil and criminal conflicts but only external threats.

Spoiler: stuff
    Show
    So a few days in Nimbral. You can do any crafting or purchasing you wish (run any expecnsive items past me).

Is there anything else that you wish to do before departing onward?]

24. - Top - End - #174
    Titan in the Playground

Tchinik spends the next few days in town, getting a feel for it and its people. While he has a good memory for stories and what not, he decides that it might not be enough and seeks out a business that can provide him what he needs. After some time spent searching and then haggling, he leaves with several vials of ink, some ink pens and a couple of empty journals to keep track of their journey.
    Once the items are properly stowed, he sees if anyone wants to join him at the local drinking establishments. He goes to the owner and offers his services for free drinks for him and his companions, regaling the patrons with stories he has heard, most probably new to these seafaring folk. While the drinks are provided, he only drinks enough to keep his voice while performing.
    Spoiler
    Show

Perform check
    (1d20+14)[34]

He tells the tales of the Dales, knowing the elven presence would appreciate the tale of beating back the drow incursions. He spends much time on the epic poems and, at the end, gives a bow, before joining his companions for some real drinking.
    While slightly hungover the next day, he spends the next few days telling tales. The last night he even intertwines some of their own adventures into his poems, having begun crafting one of their adventures.

25. - Top - End - #175
    Ogre in the Playground

Surtros isn't idle either, though obviously in a much less spectacular fashion than the party's bard. While Tchinik is making his way up the social latter, the priest is making sure whispers are making their way to the right ears. They inform the spectators and important minds exactly who the man sailed into town with. With any luck, the same goodwill he's bartering into free mead and adoring crowds will begin to trickle its way throughout the party ladder. Although oddly enough, even after all that nobody seems to know who Indo is. Strange. Must have slipped his mind.

If he's not playing 'I know that guy', he's off plying certain folk with a professional drinking atmosphere and quiet, inquisitive conversation. He doesn't want the townsfolk answering his questions, but rather a more cynical sort. Therefore, it's fellow merchants he's chatting up, browsing wares, haggling prices, and asking about the local attractions. Reading between the lines, he's most interested not just in the frequency and safety of the local shipping routes, but the story behind those ostentatious knights. More importantly, how worrisome they should be for a stranger to local customs.

If there's time left after all that, he might try and seek out a relatively public gambling den (anything too underground might be dangerous for a newcomer). Somewhere people are always happy to see a priest of Tymora. Also somewhere folk are particularly chatty after attributing a large win to the presence of Lady Luck. Not that he'd be allowed to influence a game of chance. Not that he necessarily needs to TELL anyone that.

Furthermore, he's sure to keep a few lesser restorations on hand for a few nights. If he can pay Tchinik for his performances by alleviating those hangovers, it's really the least he can do.

26. - Top - End - #176

Lora spends her time primarily staying with the group in the evening, especially with Tchinik's tavern tales. As the locals tell their tales she keeps an ear open to stories relating to their destination or of dragons, good or evil. If she hears of any she encourages more details to be told. If asked she gladly tells tales of her time with her dragon mentor before she joined the group, the DragonFall war, and her glorious father Bahamut. She asks if any had ever seen a Dragonborn before, hoping to learn about others of her kind.

The first morning she takes out the golden statuette they recovered and try again to identify what power it holds. If its secrets remain then she'll suggest to Surtros to find out how much it is worth.

Daytime she does take advantage of the beautiful tropical weather. She gets in her daily flying practice. Even though she is limited in flying through the course of a day, given the chance she'll interact with the pegasi flyers, celebrating the fight for Good. In the town she doesn't hide her Bahamut given abilities. In fact she cheerfully puts them on display to promote Bahamut and maybe even inspire one to become Dragonborn someday. She'll spar with anyone interested. Win or lose, all benefit.
    Show

27. - Top - End - #177
    Ettin in the Playground

The next few days are enjoyable. Time is spent in the shops and taverns of the small port city, mixing with the locals and sharing tales of each others cultures. The local tongue is Halruaan but they all speak passing trade Common in a thick southern accent. The Nimbrese are simple folk and well entertained by Tchinik at his nightly sessions of storytelling. You even manage to wander/ fly outside Rauthaven for a time, visiting some of the nearby coastal villages and seeing from afar the delicate fairytale castles that the Knights of the Flying Hunt dwell in, dotted about the forests and countryside.

Spoiler: Map
    Show

The other passengers come ashore as well, with Urol quickly off to explore the woods and fields about the town. He returns with sketches of deer and tales of wilder creatures such as owlbears found in the deep forest. Lirith and Skald also wander the town and countryside, separately. The warrior woman perusing the blacksmiths and searching for monstrous foes but frustrated by finding little to test her mettle. Indo has his servants bring his prize horse Thunderstrike out from the hold and canters about for a few hours before becoming bored, although thankfully this is at least some respite from his whining about the food, accents and smells in the town. Captain Amella and Lavinia spend much of their time refitting and resupplying the ships, while the Jade Ravens are often spotted at different taverns about town.

As time to depart draws near, Skald approaches Amiyah. "This is my place, for now". He explains his intention to remain on Nimbral for the time being and explore the place and people further as he contemplates the future. "Please do search me out if you are in these island lands again" he says warmly, his reserved manner threatening to crack.

With everything complete, anchors are raised and sails unfurled as the Blue Nixie and Sea Wyvern depart the island nation on the final stage of the journey across open sea to the Isle of Dread far to the south!

28. - Top - End - #178
    Titan in the Playground

As everyone is getting to depart, Tchink looks as shocked as anyone at Skalds decision to stay.
    "Fare you well, friend. I admit..." he says as he looks longingly back at the city "that this city has a charm... a magic to it and I understand the appeal. I envy you my friend.
    I hope our journey cross again."
    he then takes his leave after shaking hands, walking up to the ship with a mixed look on his face.

29. - Top - End - #179
    Titan in the Playground

Connaught

After spending so much time on Nimbral Connaught is sad to see to be leaving the small island and the sites and sounds and the flying pegasus knights. Connaught spending some time with Lirrith spends the rest drinking and brawling in equal measure before boarding the ship once more. The slight pang of sadness soon replaced by the thrill of the "new" as the Nixie cuts through the waves and Connaught paces the deck staring out at the blue ocean.

30. - Top - End - #180
    Ogre in the Playground

As it so happened, most of Surtros' efforts weren't for naught, as he managed to strike up a conversation with a materials merchant from 'out of town' who seemed more than willing to provide a sizable discount on the items he needed for a personal project. Some hours later, he visited Connaught and Tchinik in between rounds of drink and explained his plan - after that, the priest (and to a lesser extent, the barbarian) was quite scarce for the rest of their stay. When he finally stepped back aboard the ship, however, it was in a fresh, resplendent suit of gleaming full plate. The side-plates were modified with some added, decorative scale mail that was reminiscent of either a coat of gold coins or the blessing of a gold dragon, depending on your point of view. His left gauntlet now bore the holy symbol of his special coin, no longer on an amulet but inlaid into the magical steel. On the other, a softly pulsating blue crystal that seemed to lighten his step whenever he approached water.

His contributions weren't limited to his appearance, however, as Tchinik found out when they were underway. Finding him abovedecks, Surtros presented the bardic warrior with a sturdy box, along with a comment about appreciating his trust in the results. Soon enough, Tchinik would find that his old garb and shield had been enhanced beyond their already fine quality, and a few additionald etails had been added. Woven into the leather and chain links were various pictographs, apparently depicting moments from the adventures they'd had together - a cavern of diseased, a flaming cart ridden by an acrobat assassin, bullywugs falling under song and spell, all a hydra's heads being severed by a single cleaving axe, and a temple lit by a gleaming golden idol, among others. Most are either turned inward or relatively innocuous, so as to serve their purpose without making the bard look like a walking mural to anyone not watching closely.