New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default Soulknife Question

So which edition and setting of D&D did the soul knife originate in? I am having the hardest time finding it!

Thanks for you help!

EDIT: Mainly I just want to know if they're in the Forgotten Realms
    Last edited by DracoKnight; 2016-09-30 at 04:05 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Soulknife Question

3.5 i believe.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by DracoKnight View Post
    So which edition and setting of D&D did the soul knife originate in? I am having the hardest time finding it!

Thanks for you help!

EDIT: Mainly I just want to know if they're in the Forgotten Realms
    Depends. The soul knife originated in 3rd edition in the original psionics book with 10 levels. However in that book it was a prestige class. In 3.5 in the Expanded Psionics Handbook it was changed to be a base class with a full 20 level progression.

So depending on whether you want the concept or the base class the answer is either 3.0 or 3.5.

As for setting it is setting agnostic though Greyhawk is the default setting in 3e (though that is a tenuous relationship for the most part). It was a fairly common class in Eberron though particularly with Kalashtar where I think you see art for them and mechanics more than any other setting I think though I have not done actual research on that just going by what I have seen.

They exist in FR but are not particularly well known there (which is mostly true with psionics in general and since soul knives were new to 3e and only really pushed in that one edition there is not a lot of history to push them much in the fluff).
    Last edited by MeeposFire; 2016-09-30 at 04:22 PM.
    A vestige for me "Pyro火gnus Friend of Meepo" by Zaydos.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/shows...5&postcount=26

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by MeeposFire View Post
    Depends. The soul knife originated in 3rd edition in the original psionics book with 10 levels. However in that book it was a prestige class. In 3.5 in the Expanded Psionics Handbook it was changed to be a base class with a full 20 level progression.

So depending on whether you want the concept or the base class the answer is either 3.0 or 3.5.

As for setting it is setting agnostic though Greyhawk is the default setting in 3e (though that is a tenuous relationship for the most part). It was a fairly common class in Eberron though particularly with Kalashtar where I think you see art for them and mechanics more than any other setting I think though I have not done actual research on that just going by what I have seen.

They exist in FR but are not particularly well known there (which is mostly true with psionics in general and since soul knives were new to 3e and only really pushed in that one edition there is not a lot of history to push them much in the fluff).
    Thanks! This was very helpful

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

Unless I'm mistaken, didn't they also get some minor healing. Like, healing word level healing...I could be totally confused, though.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Requiemforlust View Post
    Unless I'm mistaken, didn't they also get some minor healing. Like, healing word level healing...I could be totally confused, though.
    I do not recall any methods of healing form the soul knife unless you count the exceedingly minor healing provided by touch of healing if you took it as your hidden power choice using that alternate class feature that traded wild talent for hidden talent. Hidden talent was technically able to be taken by anybody so I am not sure it counts anyway.

Unless I am forgetting something.

Are you thinking of soul melding classes maybe?
    A vestige for me "Pyro火gnus Friend of Meepo" by Zaydos.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/shows...5&postcount=26

7. - Top - End - #7
    Firbolg in the Playground

MonkGirl

There were psionic powers to make psionic weapons further back, at least as far back as 2e Darksun... so as a class it didn't exist but as a concept it could be extended back father
    Last edited by Naanomi; 2016-10-02 at 01:43 PM.