New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 27 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Ghostfoot's Age of Worms (IC) Pt 2

THE AGE OF WORMS HAS BEGUN!

Since the beginning of history, humanity has measured time in Ages. Ages of Glory, of Dreams, and even of Great Sorrows mark the human tally of years, giving a sense of order to the events of past centuries. But one age has yet to occur - an age of darkness, of decay, and of writhing doom. Witty bards and wrathful preachers know it as the Age of Worms, weaving it into the peripheries of their passion plays as a mythic era of destruction that could begin at any time. Astrologers, diviners, and the servants of Fate know more. The canniest among them fear that the Age of Worms has already begun.

The battle is over, the defeated lizardfolk lying where they have fallen. Around you the swamp slowly comes to life, filling with the noise of insects and birds as the dawn rises cutting through the clinging mist of the Lizard Marsh.

Spoiler: Map
    Show

IC thread #1

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Ghostfoot's Age of Worms (IC) Pt 2

Kurnos looks about the poor dead lizard folk and sighs. "This feels cruel. they stand no chance yet still they try. Once dawn has broken we can tracks these ones back to their lair hopefully. Maybe once we reach their lair we can try and parley with their leaders and negotiate the release of the prisoners." He gestures at the fallen lizards ignoring the crunch as Primus and Secundus settle down to gnaw on the bones of one them. "It seems unnecessary to slaughter any more of them if we can avoid it."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

I'll have a think about melds for the day. Any requests for people who are curious to see what they'll do?
    Any spell requests for me to prep?

Thanks to Emperor Ing for the nice Avatar

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

The melee behind Keston ends. With no threats from elsewhere he turns to join the rest of the party, listens to the druid's wisdom, and nods. "Perhaps. It would be ideal but this new Redeye doesn't sound to be a reasonable type. A show of force may prevail but we are the very focus of his hatred. Question is, was this a random patrol or are they expecting us."
    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    Keston Tornok for GF's AoW
    Loradralsornux for GF's Savage Tide
    Avakuss for kinem's Planescape: Center of All
    Sgt Ladaran Xiloscient for MrAbdiel's D&D-Day: The Ballad of Echo Company (WW2 with D&D Rules)
    Ganzak for Toliudar's Coming Unstuck

Extended Signature - More detailed game/character notes

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Kuln digs around the bodies, trying to surmise what was going on. "That's a good question. My gut says it may have been a random patrol but it's best if we proceed with caution."

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Susebron was ready, even not wearing armor, he thought that if this was it, then so be it. But everyone moved with a purpose, and he felt comfortable wading into the darkness with them, or as comfortable as could be.

He was glad though, when the hounds of this Kurnos took to the lizardmen, dispatching them with a fierce ferocity he had not seen before. Again, gladness was felt, that he was on their side, and they had allowed him to tag along.

He listens to them and frowns "How could they have known you were coming?" he asks, perturbed, that the enemy they were after could be expecting them, it seemed there was something he was not aware of.
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

“Take but degree away, untune that string, And, hark, what discord follows!” -Shakespeare
    “Gnyðja mundu nú grísir, ef þeir vissi, hvat inn gamli þyldi” -Ragnar Lodbrok

"I have a high art; I hurt with cruelty those who would damage me." -Archilochus

Discord -Now with a recruitment bot!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

"Spies, though I doubt that. Magic scrying, I suppose. Maybe someone was on watch outside this dank place and sent a signal to this band? All sorts of ways, I suppose." Kuln says as he carefully retraces his steps and looks to see if he can find where this band came from.

Spoiler
    Show

Not sure if it's a spot or search but he has a +11 to both.
    (1d20+11)[17]

7. - Top - End - #7

Keston responds to Susebron. "Before we found you we were traveling to Cromm's Keep. Reaching it, we found it besieged by lizardfolk. We decisively broke the siege and those that survived disappeared back into the swamp, with prisoners. We are on our way to get those prisoners back one way or another. That leads us right into their main lair, led by Redeye, who used to follow peace with humans. After being missing, presumed dead, for years he is back with hatred for humans. It isn't surprising they left some patrols along the way to see if anyone was following. We were warned of a variety of creatures we'll face out here, including harpies who might be allied with Redeye."

"Speaking of creatures we may encounter. Thanks to Mystra and a spellbook we captured, I have prepared a spell to charm an undead creature. If we come across any and my spell works, don't attack it or it will break the spell."
    Show
    Sgt Ladaran Xiloscient for MrAbdiel's D&D-Day: The Ballad of Echo Company (WW2 with D&D Rules)

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Susebron plants his sword into the ground and listens, at first, he was fine, it just seemed like a patrol as Kuln explained, but then Keston piped up, explaining their mission.

Well, thats certainly...differenthe thought to himself.

He nodded to Keston "Many thanks for the explanation, I will do as you advise." he nods, picks up his sword and sheathe, and walks back to buckle on his armor, he was awake, and dawn was fast approaching, no use in not being ready if another group encountered them. He had felt....less than useful. Perhaps he could still show his usefulness to them still?
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

“Take but degree away, untune that string, And, hark, what discord follows!” -Shakespeare

"I have a high art; I hurt with cruelty those who would damage me." -Archilochus

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

As you break camp Kuln, Kurnos and the hounds search around the lizard party trying to determine their origin. Tracking the scent back it appears that this group had picked up your trail several hundred feet away and had tracked you to your campsite. The origin trail seems to lead off in quite a different direction to that of the lizard group and prisoners that you are following, indicating that while aggressive they perhaps are a separate or even unrelated faction of lizardfolk.

In any case you continue your journey, expecting to reach the lair of the Redeye tribe this evening and anxious to rescue the captives before anything further happens to them. The day passes relatively uneventfully as you wade and trudge through the dreary mist. The only hint of imminent danger at one point as you are crossing a wide bog and something large passes by out-of-sight overhead with a loud screech and flapping of leathery wings, the screech echoed by another flying not too far away.

As the sun begins to dip again the hounds become noticably agitated and you sense that the trail that they have been following is becoming confused with many criss-cross tracks and signs of activity. You must surely be almost upon the tribal lair by now. Ahead, a huge mound of sodden earth rises up amid a dark grove of great old and twisted mangaroo trees.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

As the huge hounds start to get excited, Kuln waves the others to slow.
    "Alright, if I know beasties, that probably means we are getting close. What say " he says as he points towards the mounds "I play like a shadow on a cloudy day as I see what can be seen?" as he stows his crossbow and removes his swords.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Jhaan

"Be wary." Jhaan says as he stops with the group, slipping his pack down off his shoulders. He takes a few moments to recheck his armor, make sure all the straps are tight and then readies his sword.

Spoiler
    Show
    Active Effects: Endure Explosure (Party: Endure Elements & Immune to Breath Weapon), Aura: Resistance (Party: Resist Fire 5 within 30ft), Bolstering Voice (Party: +2 Morale Will Saves, +4 vs Fear).

Maneuvers Readied: Death Mark, Revitalizing Strike, White Raven Tactics, Fire Riposte, Burning Blade
    "We have sent many to Hell, to smooth our way," said I, "and we are standing yet and holding blades. What more?"- Roger Zelazny, This Immortal
    Avatar Image: The Great Wave off Kanagawa by Hokusai; bitmap version by me.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Still clad in the same incarnum power as the day before Kurnos pats the hounds on the heads as they both settle down on their haunches beside the druid. The larger of the two still looking the man in the eyes, its glowing incarnum infused eyes eager to hunt some more. Kurnos pats the beast again and nods to the small lithe gnome. "Good hunting my friend. We are waiting here if you fall into some trouble." He watches the gnome advance carefully, eyes and ears alert for any dangers.

Spoiler: Kurnos
    Show

Kurnos Spot (1d20+7)[18]/ listen (1d20+5)[19]
    Primus Spot (1d20+8)[12]/ listen (1d20+7)[18]
    Secundus Spot (1d20+9)[18]/ listen (1d20+7)[22]

Incarnum:
    1E Wormtail belt (+2NA, +1/Essentia, +1DC/essentia, Sting 1d6, DC 12+CON+Ess 1d4/1d4 Str)
    1E Dread carapce (PA, -1/+1, bites -1+2, +1/Ess)
    0E Dragon Tail: (1d8 tail, +1 enh/essentia)
    0E Dissolving Spittle (1d6 acid+1/Ess, 30ft touch)
    2E Astral Vamrbace (DR 2/magic +2/Ess)

Kurnos:
    AC 20 FF18 Touch 12 +3 NA (belt) = 23
    Saves +8/8/8
    HPs 46/46
    Effect: energy shield aura

Primus:
    AC 20 FF 18, Touch 11 +3 NA (belt) = 23
    Saves +10/7/6
    HPs 66/66

Secundus
    AC 23 FF 20, Touch 13, +3 NA (belt) = 26
    Saves +9/8/5 Evasion
    HPs 49/49

13. - Top - End - #13

Keston ensures his cap is flipped so that it is not a beacon of light giving away their position. "I am surprised we have gotten this close without facing more defenses. Good luck Kuln. If need be I have a scroll of web which would work well in this environment."

Show
    AC: 15
    HP: 26
    Saves: 5/5/9
    Effect: energy shield aura (from Jhaan)
    Show

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

"If you guys hear a high, shrill scream, coming running... I doubt that would be me but some complaining lizardman." he says with a crooked grin as he disappears into the undergrowth.

Spoiler
    Show

Hide
    (1d20+19)[36]
    Move Silently
    (1d20+16)[30]
    Listen
    (1d20+12)[22]
    Spot
    (1d20+11)[25]

Trying to get close enough to the encampment to see the layout and the amount of lizardmen without getting to close as to be spotted or scent picked up by any animals.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Bron moved next to Jhaan and readied his own blade, his black shadowy panther padding silently up next to him.

This time, he was wearing his armor, and he felt a little more protected. He was ready to provide a little more assistance this time, he hoped.
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

The little Lantanese gnome ducks forward, swords at the ready. He scurries through the massive roots that grow up all around and converge on the huge trees above. Ducking through the thick vines and mud he approaches the hillock and starts to work his way up it. As he is moving from root to root up the mound he suddenly freezes and melds into the cover as he spies two lizardfolk at the base not far from. They walk together, making a slow circle around the hillock, alert and with clubs at the ready but make no indication of having seen Kuln or the rest of the party.

Show

Hope the map makes sense. Just a quick one.

Green is forest. Brown is the hillock. Both count as light undergrowth so cost 2 squares to move into.
    Last edited by Ghostfoot; 2016-10-14 at 11:39 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Kuln, alert, keeps from being noticed by the lizardfolk. Once they are out of view, he tries to signal the others with a wave of his hand and finger across his throat to simulate slitting their throats, hoping that they can see and understand him.

Moving quietly towards the edge, he angles to intercept them while keeping hidden.

Spoiler
    Show

AC ~20; Current ~ 20/24 if they are giants
    HP ~ 53; Current ~ 53
    AP ~ 8 ; Current ~ 8

Hide
    (1d20+19)[38]
    Move Silently
    (1d20+16)[24]
    Listen
    (1d20+12)[26]
    Spot
    (1d20+11)[16]

Knowledge devotion
    (1d20)[16] +5 Arcana, +6 Dungeoneering, +4 Nature and most of the rest.

Spoiler
    Show

Check Result Bonus Granted
    15 or below +1
    16—25 +2
    26—30 +3
    31—35 +4
    36 or higher +5

I'm thinking that they are moving towards us. If so, he will move to the corner of the growth, which looks to be Z-11, and wait to sneak attack.

Effects ~

+4 dodge vs giants
    Knowledge Devotion check = +X insight bonus on attack rolls and damage rolls.

18. - Top - End - #18

Keston knew he was out of his element compared to the others, his specialties weren't needed at this point. Two scouts would be quick work for the others. Better for him to stay out of sight but ready. With an arrow nocked, the cleric gets low and stays out of sight.
    Show

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Kurnos and and the dogs freeze at the whispering from their skilled scout. Watching the two lizardmen through the slits of his mask he feels sad that they will have to die so needlessly but looking at the massive hounds flanking him he knew the beasts could no comprehend the concept of subdual, well not yet at any rate. Looking around he whispers to Jhaan, "I'll go when you go."

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Kuln, with a dark smile on his face, slides in behind the two scouts. With a quick nod to where his allies are hiding <and he quickly thinks he should give some of them a lesson on how to stay hidden and silent>, he winks and waves to them as he step forward and seeks to skewer one through the kidneys.

Spoiler
    Show

AC ~20; Current ~ 20/24 if they are giants
    HP ~ 53; Current ~ 53
    AP ~ 8 ; Current ~ 8

Wait until they are about S-T 11 or so and set himself up for a flank once the cavalry arrives.

Attack
    (1d20+13)[31]

Damage
    (1d4+2)[5] + (2d6)[4] sneak attack

Crit 19-20/x2
    (1d20+13)[19]
    (1d4+2)[6]

Effects ~

+4 dodge vs giants
    Knowledge Devotion check = 2X insight bonus on attack rolls and damage rolls.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

Kuln slinks from behind a mass of roots and vines, darting forward and stabbing at the back of a lizardman for 13 damage. It grunts in pain and the two lizard warriors heft their clubs looming over the wee gnome...

Show

=> Keston, Kurnos, Jhaan, Susebron
    Surprise round so single action only
    Last edited by Ghostfoot; 2016-10-29 at 05:04 AM.

22. - Top - End - #22

Keston thought the ambush would happen closer to them. With Kuln initiating the attack so far away Keston pops out of cover and lets loose with an arrow at the lizardman that hadn't yet felt the sting of Kuln's skill.

Show
    Longbow
    Attack: (1d20+2)[3] Crit: (1d20+2)[8]
    Damage: (1d8)[7] Crit: (2d8)[7]
    Show

23. - Top - End - #23
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Jhann

The distance between him and the lizardmen too far for either blade or fire, Jhann instead stepped out of the treeline and walked straight towards them. "The glory of Tyr protect us!" He shouted as he advanced.

Spoiler
    Show
    Move to L6.

Active Effects: Endure Explosure (Party: Endure Elements & Immune to Breath Weapon), Aura: Resistance (Party: Resist Fire 5 within 30ft), Bolstering Voice (Party: +2 Morale Will Saves, +4 vs Fear).

Active Stance: Bolstering Voice
    Maneuvers Readied: Death Mark, Revitalizing Strike, White Raven Tactics, Fire Riposte, Burning Blade
    Maneuvers Granted: Fire Riposte, Burning Blade
    Maneuvers Expended:
    Newly Granted Maneuver: (1d3)[2] Revitalizing Strike
    Last edited by Chambers; 2016-10-23 at 05:09 PM.
    "We have sent many to Hell, to smooth our way," said I, "and we are standing yet and holding blades. What more?"- Roger Zelazny, This Immortal
    Avatar Image: The Great Wave off Kanagawa by Hokusai; bitmap version by me.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Susebron was waiting, his grip on his weapon was tight, he noticed a little too tight, so he lessened it, his knuckles allowing blood back in and he felt his hands again, combat was always a nervous endeavor, but the thrill of it always over rid his fears and he ended up enjoying it for the most part. He saw Jhan rush out, and so, he decided to follow the man out, he seemed capable of combat, and good melee partner.

And there was those big damned dogs.

He didn't say anything, only motioned with one hand to the lizardmen and his silent silhouette of a companion padded over to him, standing between him and Jhan.

Spoiler
    Show

Move to L8
    Dark companion moves to L7 (any enemy adjacent to the DC receives a -2 to saves and AC)
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

As Jhaan and the new hero in their party rush out to the lizards Kurnos and the hounds break cover, the druid easily outpaced by the huge hulking glowing dogs. The dogs bound forward, jaws snapping hungrily.

Spoiler: Kurnos
    Show

Kurnos: double move to close
    Primus: charge!
    (1d20+15)[21] dam (1d8+15)[21] trip (1d20+13)[15] vs (1d20)[19]+?

Secundus
    (1d20+9)[10] dam (1d6+8)[13] trip (1d20+4)[11] vs (1d20)[7]+?

Incarnum:
    1E Wormtail belt (+2NA, +1/Essentia, +1DC/essentia, Sting 1d6, DC 12+CON+Ess 1d4/1d4 Str)
    1E Dread carapce (PA, -1/+1, bites -1+2, +1/Ess)
    0E Dragon Tail: (1d8 tail, +1 enh/essentia)
    0E Dissolving Spittle (1d6 acid+1/Ess, 30ft touch)
    2E Astral Vamrbace (DR 2/magic +2/Ess)

Kurnos:
    AC 20 FF18 Touch 12 +3 NA (belt) = 23
    Saves +8/8/8
    HPs 46/46

Primus:
    AC 20 FF 18, Touch 11 +3 NA (belt) = 23
    Saves +10/7/6
    HPs 66/66

Secundus
    AC 23 FF 20, Touch 13, +3 NA (belt) = 26
    Saves +9/8/5 Evasion
    HPs 49/49

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

Kuln stabs again and one of the creatures drops to the mud, bleeding out. Keston fires at the remaining one but his arrow thunks harmlessly into the surrounding wooded mass. The southern warrior Jhaan shouts a war cry as he emerges from cover followed by Susebron and his strange shadowy guardian. Kurnos too moves forward quickly overtaken by the two hounds that cover the distance in no time at all. Primus, the hound the size of a large pony, leaps at the sole lizardfolk warrior and bears it to the ground jaws closing for 21 damage as a snap marks the end of the guard.

You regroup as the sun moves lower and light starts to fade among the shadows of the roots and boughs, the large mound looming over you.

Spoiler: Kuln
    Show
    Sorry Razorback I omitted your Knowledge Devotion bonus damage earlier. You take own your opponent.

=> Party

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

"Well, that was clean. Suppose I could have managed to get them in a better location. Something to remember for next time." He bends over the creatures, taking a look at them, before turning to Kurnos. "You think your friends can hunt down where these lizardmen came from?"

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Kurnos looks down sadly at the bodies. "Its a shame. Senseless, they didn't stand a chance." He looks at the mound and the mossy ground at Kuln's words. "Aye, we'll see what they can find. Away boys, hunt them down so we can find our way in." He throws a piece of lizard flesh to each dog before whistling to them.
    Spoiler: Track
    Show

Primus [roll]1d20=6[/roll]
    Secudnus (1d20+7)[14]

He follows slowly, watching the ground carefully as he flexes his arms and his twin tails thrash and snap around him. One barbed and other with the long purple stinger. He looks at the others and nods as he moves stealthily after the dogs.

29. - Top - End - #29

Keston moves forward to catch up with the others at the dead lizardmen. He checks the chewed up bodies for any items of note while the others start tracking.
    Show

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Bron regarded the big dogs with a mixture of respect and awe.

It had happened quickly, almost too quickly to see. But he was able to make it out, he was almost disappointed, not able to partake of the battle, to quench his thirst for the pulsing beating of combat.

He moved up to the bodies and watched as the dogs took off. They were more useful than he was. Frowning, and regarding his own self worth in comparison to two large dogs, he followed the others, wary and ready.
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A