New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 14 of 27 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718192021222324 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #391
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Ghostfoot's Age of Worms (IC) Pt 2

As Keston and Tarquin speak, Kuln keeps to the shadows of those that tower above him. <Too many tinkerers crafting> he thinks of what his pa used to say.
    As Wat approaches him, he looks a bit surprised, which is a surprise in itself. "Come on, now, none of that." the gnome says, half surprised and half embarrased. "Well, whether that is true or not I'll let you decide, but, by the same token, once you had a weapon in your hand, you fought to defeat our common foe. So, thank you in return." he says with a sincere bow in return. "As my comrades have said" as he turns his gaze to include Jascan "your help in this threat would be appreciated. As you can see, they do not differentiate between their target and innocent bystanders. Best to be on the offense, but I'll leave it up to you. If you choose otherwise, let me know your favorite watering hole and I will meet you there and we can talk about who saved whom and tell tall tales of previous exploits."

2. - Top - End - #392
    Ettin in the Playground

Eager to press your antagonists before they can regroup you all eagerly head off to investigate the warehouses that might match with the strange old octopus vs galleon key that the doppleganger possessed. The civilar wishes you well and promises that the watch will be following up shortly too, just as soon as they sort this mess here out...you get the feeling she's talking many hours time once the City bureaucracy is adhered to.

Even for yourselves, capable yet more recently used to the wilds and small towns, it takes some time to search the various locales in the Docks Ward. You make sure to pass by the Crooked House to gather Kurnos' eagerly-awaiting hounds from the stables where they have been well-fed but missing their master.

Eventually in the small hours of the morning you come to a large old waterfront warehouse, not completely gutted or replaced like the previous sites...you feel like this could be more interesting. The old stone warehouse is painted in faded green paint and bears a moss-covered shingle roof. Just barely legible inscribed in the crumbling stone is a sign aptly naming the hall "Sodden Hold". A single set of tall rusted iron double doors is the only entrance, the tell-tale markings of a ship being enveloped by an octopus evident in the surroundings of the sturdy lock in the doors.

Spoiler: map layout
    Show

3. - Top - End - #393
    Troll in the Playground

Chimera

Jascan looks up at the building, as if wondering exactly how he ended up here. He doesn't seem nervous, more... excited?

4. - Top - End - #394
    Titan in the Playground

Kurnos

With a pair of hounds, one big, one even bigger Kurnos is happier. Even more so as the bulk of the populace gave Primus a wide berth (as one would expect people to react to a horse sized feral looking hunting dog). He glances at the building and looks around. "Its not exactly what I'd expect for a criminal hide out eh?" He approaches the doors slowly and cautiously and gestures, "Do w just open it up and head in?"
    Thanks to Emperor Ing for the nice Avatar

5. - Top - End - #395
    Firbolg in the Playground

Keston looks over the building with his eyesight gifted by Mystra. "One obvious door. The water end of the building should have access for ships but that looks challenging for all of us. If you give me a few minutes I can search around the outside for any magic or secret doors. I can't detect any eyes directly on us or non-magical traps. so keep your eyes open."

Assuming no one objects and we're near the door uses Arcane Sight (120' range) to look along the whole west wall. If nothing, cast Detect Secret Doors and check for that same wall from there. Then work around to the east side of the building far enough to catch where the building meets the shore. He reports all he sees.
    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    Keston Tornok for GF's AoW
    Loradralsornux for GF's Savage Tide
    Avakuss for kinem's Planescape: Center of All
    Sgt Ladaran Xiloscient for MrAbdiel's D&D-Day: The Ballad of Echo Company (WW2 with D&D Rules)
    Ganzak for Toliudar's Coming Unstuck

Extended Signature - More detailed game/character notes

6. - Top - End - #396
    Titan in the Playground

Kuln shakes his heads slowly, in an absent-minded way, halfway to himself and halfway to Kurnos' comment. "Maybe a quick reconnoiter before we kick down the door and say hi?
    Maybe circle around from the water side and see if we can find a way in?"

7. - Top - End - #397
    Titan in the Playground

Kurnos

Kurnos looks at the water entrance, nodding to Keston and Kuln. "Aye, some subtlety may be a good approach if they can change their form." Heading to the water's edge he peers into the water. "Depending on what you find I can also shift into a form more suitable for aquatic travel. One that could help others swim if need be and you don't mind getting damp?"
    He tickles the hounds under the chin, "You smell anything boys?"

Spoiler: Skills
    Show

Listen (1d20+7)[18]
    Scent! 60ft radius

8. - Top - End - #398
    Troll in the Playground

Chimera

Jascan looks around with interest as various special skills are unfurled around him.

I can.. I guess I check out the roof?
    Last edited by Togo; 2019-01-21 at 07:24 PM.

9. - Top - End - #399
    Titan in the Playground

Wat follows the rest of this new group, quietly, not wishing to disturb their usual methods of dealing with problems. Best to stand back and see how to aid, rather than take charge. His eyes widen when Kurnos comes out of a stable with a pair of huge hounds. Far bigger than the hunting dogs from back home.

Somewhat tentatively, Wat pet the animals as they made their way to the docks, and gave each a small piece of his rations.

He remained with them as the others planned their next move. They all seemed on the right path without him.

10. - Top - End - #400
    Titan in the Playground

"If you can manage the roof but keep some silence, see what you can find." he paused for a moment, considering. "Look, they are some kind of skin changers. In case something happens... well, when I come back if I don't say 'Coin of Gond'... well, have some suspicion whether its me or not." With that, the gnome drifts off from the group, letting the shadows of the rising sun to cover his moves along with any debris. He moves along the western wall, past the doors, looking for any windows or other entrances where he can listen if not sneak in through as he makes his way to the shoreline.

Spoiler
    Show

Hide
    (1d20+20)[31]
    Move Silently
    (1d20+16)[31]
    Listen
    (1d20+13)[30]
    Spot
    (1d20+19)[34]

11. - Top - End - #401
    Troll in the Playground

Chimera

Jascan relaxes.

.. if I can manage stealth. So, staying back here it is then!

But he's talking to himself. Kuln now merely a whisper in the night air.

12. - Top - End - #402
    Titan in the Playground

Bron, happy he had all his gear back, but still disturbed by the fight, and the initial scuffle against not-bron that caused them to get locked up in the first place, followed along, upon seeing Kurnos' dogs back, a small smile alighted his dark features, stemming the oncoming storm clouds upon his mind.

With hand wrested on the hilt of his sword, he moved along with the group, almost enjoying the reaction people had to Primus.

Upon finding the building, he stood silently, scanning the area with his deathsight, making sure anybody nearby, or anything hiding, was not undead, or otherwise.

"Coin of Gond, gotcha, speedy travel" he replied to his companion, as he waited near the first door they found, leaning against the building there. His dark companion, sitting next to him, a strange extension of the shade provided by the building, barely distinguishing the shape of a mastiff.

Spoiler
    Show

Deathsight is merely for any creatures he see's or any that might come up, it's got a 30ft cone range.
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

“Take but degree away, untune that string, And, hark, what discord follows!” -Shakespeare
    “Gnyðja mundu nú grísir, ef þeir vissi, hvat inn gamli þyldi” -Ragnar Lodbrok

"I have a high art; I hurt with cruelty those who would damage me." -Archilochus

Discord -Now with a recruitment bot!

13. - Top - End - #403
    Ettin in the Playground

You spend a few moments carefully observing the exterior of the building and searching for any clues or other methods of entrance.

Neither Keston's magical senses nor Bron's deathsight detect any sign of any sorcerous or unusual effect about the exterior.

A mundane search of the shore-based section of the exterior reveals no hidden secrets. Two very small windows are high up on the southern of the warehouse (25ft up on the street-side, Medium-sized creatures would need to squeeze). No light shines from within.

The hounds both paw the ground and emit low growls as the sniff about the warehouse doors, clearly detecting some lingering scent of aggravating persons or creatures.

14. - Top - End - #404
    Titan in the Playground

The gnome spends several minutes silently traveling around the building, moving from shadow to shadow as quickly as he can in search of clues. After some time, he seems to ooze out of the thin mist surrounding the group, startling some, as he gives his password. "I found a couple of possible entrances but, without some climbing, I think I'm the only one to enter through some windows high off the ground. Might be best to knock and enter... just forget to knock first." Kuln says with a mischevious grin.

15. - Top - End - #405
    Titan in the Playground

Bron nods, hefting his new shield of Talos, he looks to the door, "I'll go first" he says, stepping towards the door.
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

“Take but degree away, untune that string, And, hark, what discord follows!” -Shakespeare

"I have a high art; I hurt with cruelty those who would damage me." -Archilochus

16. - Top - End - #406
    Titan in the Playground

Kurnos

Kurnos nods at the Bron. "Lead the way my friend. My hounds and i shall be close behind you if anything leaps out at you." He grins behind his mask, flexing the long claws of glowing energy that jut out from his knuckles. The pair of massive dogs likewise glowing with incarnate power stay close to their master, both looking eager to hunt!

With all seeming quite Kurnos looks at the others, "It can't be this easy really?" then follows Bron in when he advances through the door.

17. - Top - End - #407
    Titan in the Playground

Wat adjusted his own shield, and stepped beside Kurnos. He gave the two men a nod. Brave men all volunteering to jump into the fray first. It’d be his duty to make certain they came out of this unharmed.

He gave the two dogs a fanged smile. Them too, no one should hurt a dog.

18. - Top - End - #408

The assault was being led by those better able to do so. Keston did his part by imparting them with Mystra's blessings.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Just before opening the door, cast Bless (6 min) and Magic Circle vs Evil (1 hour) on Kurnos.
    Show
    Sgt Ladaran Xiloscient for MrAbdiel's D&D-Day: The Ballad of Echo Company (WW2 with D&D Rules)

19. - Top - End - #409
    Troll in the Playground

Chimera

Jascan was content to be at the back, trusting the others, who knew each other better, to take the lead.

Still, a few precautions might be in order.

Spoiler: Spells
    Show
    Casting
    mage armour (7 hours)
    Balancing lorecall (7 minutes)
    Harmonise (from wand) (4 minutes)

20. - Top - End - #410
    Titan in the Playground

With shield ready on one hand, Bron reaches out to the handle, and opens the door.

Spoiler
    Show

Assuming the door has been checked for traps etc? and the locked/unlocked.
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

21. - Top - End - #411
    Ettin in the Playground

The key turns easily in the lock, belying its rusted and abandoned appearance. Swinging open, the doors reveal a large warehouse dominated by dozens of crates and barrels of various sizes. The room is illuminated by a number of flickering everburning torches suspended from the ceiling 30ft above. A thick layer of dust covers much of the cargo here.

Two doors lead to the south and another to the north. Against the far (eastern) side of the chamber a catwalk is suspended 15ft above the floor, with a fourth door leading south from the elevated catwalk.

Spoiler: Map
    Show

Illumination is shadowy (torches are on ceiling 30ft up and shed 20ft bright light, 40ft shadowy light).

22. - Top - End - #412
    Troll in the Playground

Chimera

Jascan slinks cautiously in, keeping to the left hand wall, peaking out from behind a large load on a wooden pallet, roped and covered. (move to T7)

23. - Top - End - #413

Keston moves up to the door (U5). His eyes glow blue as he scans across the warehouse looking for any signs of magic beyond the magical sources of light above, particularly invisible enemies or magical traps. "Keep each other in site so we don't get surprised by more doppelgangers."
    Show

24. - Top - End - #414
    Titan in the Playground

"Should we keep some code word to differentiate ourselves from the shapeshifters?" Wat whispered. Probably should have thought of this before getting to enemy base.
    Last edited by Dienekes; 2019-02-10 at 11:12 PM.

25. - Top - End - #415
    Titan in the Playground

Bron moves in after the door was opened, sword and shield ready, after he saw the room was empty, he stepped in, and surveyed the area.

That catwalk could be a problem. he thought to himself.

He nods at Wat's question, whispering back "Yes, when in question, state you are a with the worms." he recalled the worms back in the lizard's cave with a shiver
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

26. - Top - End - #416
    Titan in the Playground

Kurnos

Kurnos grins at Bron, "An odd choice Bron. But at least its something to recognise each other." He heads in, the pair of massive dogs at his back as he spreads out in the centre of the room eyes, ears and noses scanning the room for any signs of danger as he holds himself tense for any danger or attacks.

Spoiler: Senses
    Show

Kurnos
    spot/listen (1d20+8)[12]

Primus + scent
    spot/listen (1d20+9)[29]

Secundus + scent
    spot/listen (1d20+8)[19]

27. - Top - End - #417
    Titan in the Playground

Kuln just moves along quietly and if anyone see's his nod, that's probably enough.

Spoiler
    Show

Move to V-13

Hide
    (1d20+20)[23]
    Move Silently
    (1d20+16)[25]
    Listen
    (1d20+13)[30]
    Spot
    (1d20+19)[37]

28. - Top - End - #418
    Titan in the Playground

Wat nodded in approval to Bron, a nonsensical code is best. Sticks in the mind of the group while difficult to guess by the enemy.

That decided Wat ducked low and moved into the building.

Spoiler
    Show

Move to v-9

Move silently: (1d20+10)[29]
    Enter Hunter’s Stance which grants Scent.
    Spot: (1d20)[14]

29. - Top - End - #419
    Ettin in the Playground

You move in, the large warehouse room silent. Keston stays back at the open entrance, scanning the room for magical dweomers.

Spoiler: Arcane sight
    Show
    Nothing radiates (other than the party's usual stuff & the magical torches above).

Everything is still and quiet. The dogs sniff about, particularly interested in smells coming from within the large crates & barrel. Wat catches the scent too, a pungent smoky chemical smell.

Spoiler: Map (with everyone!)
    Show

Illumination is shadowy (torches are on ceiling 30ft up and shed 20ft bright light, 40ft shadowy light).

30. - Top - End - #420
    Titan in the Playground

Kurnos

Looking carefully about Kurnos moves towards the single door that would lead towards the waterfront. Reaching it he gestures to his more larcenous companions. "Any of you know how to pick a lock?" Looking at the door he guesses it'll not stand up to a several hundred pound direwolf but that won't be a subtle or silent solution!