New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 25 of 27 FirstFirst ... 15161718192021222324252627 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #721
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Ghostfoot's Age of Worms (IC) Pt 2

Varian El'Djiran

Varian has a curious expression on his face as he studies the doppelgangers belongings. "I have never thought about the amount of logistics that are necessary to keep their plots and impersonations up, even accounting for their natural abilities. They must have a rather large network at their back if they are able to procure all of these things. You might be right about their reach, Kuln. I do not know how it would even be possible to find every last thread of their metaphorical web..."

Still thinking on this, Varian grabs the jewelry and smaller valuables and stows them in his backpack, leaving the costumes and other large items behind. Then he follows Kuln to the doors, guarding his back while he works.

2. - Top - End - #722
    Firbolg in the Playground

Keston looks through the rooms with Varian. While Varian gathers the valuables, Keston glances through the noble wear, looking for something his size. He stuffs a near Mystran blue outfit with gold threads it into his pack. "Yes, quite disturbing. If word gets out around the general city it could cause chaos. On our way out we should burn any of this we don't take. On second thought take the clothing and donate it to a worthy group."

Keston readies himself for whatever the next surprise they encounter is.
    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    Keston Tornok for GF's AoW
    Loradralsornux for GF's Savage Tide
    Avakuss for kinem's Planescape: Center of All
    Sgt Ladaran Xiloscient for MrAbdiel's D&D-Day: The Ballad of Echo Company (WW2 with D&D Rules)
    Ganzak for Toliudar's Coming Unstuck

Extended Signature - More detailed game/character notes

3. - Top - End - #723
    Titan in the Playground

Kurnos

Kurnos watched as the others ransacked the rooms, "A nasty web, who knows how far in this city their influence has risen. We must be wary, even more so that we have become caught in whatever web they are weaving. Whilst we are here no-one must venture anywhere alone I feel. If we could camp outside the walls in our tents to isolate ourselves I'd suggest that. But even a wanderer like me enjoys a warm bed an ale from time to time with friends."

As Kuln decalared the door safe he nodded, "Shall I and my pet lead the way? We are robustly armoured and can bear the brunt of any suprises that lie beyond?" If the others agree he leaves Sceundus to guard the rear oft he party and will barrel through the door atop Primus, claws outstetched and still stained wit the blood of the previous dopplegangers

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Kurnos
    hps 60/60
    Saves 9/9/10 ( +2 vs disease)
    AC 18 vs evil (6 arm, 2 dex) +2 Wormtail = 20

Secundus
    Hps 49/ 49
    Saves 9/8/5 Evasion,
    AC 23 (Arm 3, Dex 3, Nat 7) +2 wormtail = 25

Primus
    Hps 74/85
    Saves 11/9/6 Evasion
    AC 23 (Arm 3, dex 3, nat 8, sz -1) +2 worm tail = 25

DR 6/ magic

Incarnum
    1E Wormtail belt (+2 NA, +1/E)
    2E Urskan Greaves (+5 Cold /E, +1d4 Cold on charge / E)
    1E Sphynx Claws [HANDS]/[TOTEM] (+E on Str check, Claws +E, 1d8+E, Pounce)
    0E Shedu Crown [CROWN] (+E to mind affecting, Telepathy 100ft)
    2E Astral Vambrace (DR 2+2*E/magic)
    0E Strong Heart Vest (DR 1+1*E for ability damage)

Kurnos Effects:
    Longstrider, Primal Hunter, Primal instinct, "Uncanny dodge",
    +10ft Speed, +5 climb/ jump/ swim/ initiative

Party
    +4 to chr checks and charisma-based skills check

Thanks to Emperor Ing for the nice Avatar

4. - Top - End - #724
    Titan in the Playground

Kuln nods as he works the doors. "Come on, pup. Lead the way." he says as he reaches up on his tip-toes to pat the beasts on their heads. Putting his tools away, he draws one sword as he pushes the doors open.

5. - Top - End - #725
    Titan in the Playground

Wat follows Kurnos and his dog.

6. - Top - End - #726
    Ettin in the Playground

Kurnos surges against the doors atop Primus, the doors bursting open revealing an illuminated room beyond.

Two tables , each surrounded by plain wooden chairs, sit in the middle of this large chamber. Unorganized heap of maps, notes and books cover each table. A large map of Waterdeep hangs on the opposite wall.

7. - Top - End - #727
    Titan in the Playground

Before anyone can walk in, Kuln slides under Primus as he checks the entrance for any traps, not feeling like evading another pit trap like before.

Spoiler
    Show

Search
    (1d20+14)[17]

8. - Top - End - #728

Keston practices his patience waiting on Kuln, almost giddy with collecting the enemy's secrets. He peers into the room with his arcane sight "Perhaps that will map out their web. Have the dogs watch our back?"
    Show
    Sgt Ladaran Xiloscient for MrAbdiel's D&D-Day: The Ballad of Echo Company (WW2 with D&D Rules)

9. - Top - End - #729
    Titan in the Playground

Kurnos

Kurnos and the dogs surge into the room, the dogs sniffing trying to use theirscent to follow any tracks or trails through the room. "I'll search the walls here my friend, I'll leave the letters to you." Kurnos says nodding to Keston and Kuln. He searches the room carefully looking for any signs of secret doors, following the dogs and their sensetive noses

Show

Scent checks for tracking (1d20+9)[22] and (1d20+8)[11]
    DC 22 on Search taking 20

Kurnos
    hps 60/60

Secundus
    Hps 49/ 49
    Saves 9/8/5 Evasion,

Primus
    Hps 74/85
    Saves 11/9/6 Evasion

DR 6/ magic

Incarnum

Kurnos Effects:

Party

10. - Top - End - #730
    Ettin in the Playground

Kuln slides forward, quickly checking over the entranceway for any traps before Kurnos can enter. He finds nothing of note, and the druid and his dogs surge past into the room, sniffing about. Keston watches, looking for any signs of magic and seeing none, save the illuminating torchlight.

Kurnos spends a good half hour with the dogs searching about the walls and corners of the room. While the area around the tables and maps has seen some use the dogs don't find anything of note around the walls, and nor does Kurnos find any secret doors despite the careful searching.
    Last edited by Ghostfoot; 2020-12-27 at 04:42 PM.

11. - Top - End - #731
    Troll in the Playground

Chimera

Jascan shrugs, retuning his guitar.

There are two other doors... I assume there's no one in either, since they would have heard us by now. But we should check.

12. - Top - End - #732
    Titan in the Playground

Kurnos

Looking about the walls Kurnos eventually shrugs "Aye Kuln. I agree with you. There must be something in one of the other rooms. This cult must have a leader and I don't think we have met them." He looks at the table, "Was there anything of interest there? Shall we explore the rest of the rooms?"

Show

Kurnos
    hps 60/60

Secundus
    Hps 49/ 49
    Saves 9/8/5 Evasion,

Primus
    Hps 74/85
    Saves 11/9/6 Evasion

DR 6/ magic

Incarnum

Kurnos Effects:

Party

13. - Top - End - #733

Varian El'Djiran

Non-magical letters are decidedly less interesting to Varian than magical ones would be, so he leaves the more thorough investigating to Keston. The spellscale merely reads some of the documents at random to get a rough impression of the contents. After a while he stops his haphazard research and answers Kurnos.

"Yes, there must be something of consequence in this lair, and we havent found it yet. Let's push forward."
    Last edited by Battlemage; 2020-12-29 at 06:15 AM.

14. - Top - End - #734

While several search for secret doors, Keston is totally focused on the information the room provides in the form of maps, notes, books, and map. Anything that seemed possibly useful he stuffs into his handy haversack. With others on guard he takes all the time he can. He's quite wordy with his findings for any who pay attention.

Called by Kurnos and Varian to move onward, the cleric pipes up. "I would suggest the closer smaller door first."

Show
    Have no idea what to roll if anything. The given half hour should be more than a cursory glance. Guessing the info will be more useful once we head topside again. Don't want to leave behind anything that may be of use for the enemy or help themselves to undoing the intricate web of intrigue in the city.
    Show

15. - Top - End - #735
    Ettin in the Playground

Varian & Keston rifle through the papers, Keston taking more time and stashing them methodically into his satchel as he does. There is a lot of information here - noble families, merchant councils, guilds, courts, militia all seem to be referenced as compromised in some fashion or other. The finer details are never explicitly stated but nevertheless given time it must be possible for an informed detective to draw some conclusions about the scope and likely targets of this corruption. It would take several hours - more time than you have right now - but if you could get this information into the right hands it would be very useful indeed.

16. - Top - End - #736

Varian El'Djiran

Varian takes one last look over the room, and the documents and papers that Keston has stowed away. "This should be very interesting for the authorities. Maybe the doppelgangers' web across the city can be found and cut down with the help of this information."

Turning toward the yet unexplored part of the lair, he continues: "Shall we get on with it then? I'm sure there is more to be unearthed here."

17. - Top - End - #737
    Titan in the Playground

"Right... back to Lady Tryssia and... or the constables? Either way, I am ready to leave. This den of deceit reeks and I would wash the stench off me." he says as he throws down the bundle he was holding while looking under it for the intelligence he might be able to gather. "They can send a squad down here to tear this place apart. I have no interest in snooping through this." he says as he begins to make his way out with the others.

18. - Top - End - #738
    Titan in the Playground

"There are still unopened doors. I would trek onward if you others wish it. But if we are agreed to turn back and involve the constabulary I believe some of us should remain here. If we abandon their point of exit, many might escape before we return with reinforcements."

19. - Top - End - #739

Keston raised a concerned eyebrow. "Yes, this information should be of great use put into the right hands. But Lady Mystra gave me a vision. What we've uncovered here is just the tip. It is the machinations of the true evil to come. I don't believe the constabulary are up for this kind of danger. No one will be forced to continue on of course, but parts of our power as a group include our numbers and individual specialties. There is a greater evil that I can not deal with on my own. A Mind Flayer. I ask for all your help in dealing with what is below. Who will continue on?"
    Show

20. - Top - End - #740
    Titan in the Playground

Kurnos

Kurnos looks at Keston and nods. "The hunt is not yet done, we have but scratched the surface of this den. We can explore the other doors and unveil the horror that lurks here and bring it to screaming and savage justice." Looking to Keston he repeats his emphatic agreement and heads back to to explore the others doors that they have overlooked to try and find where the enemy is hiding, eyes, ears and scent alert to danger

Show

Kurnos
    hps 60/60

Secundus
    Hps 49/ 49
    Saves 9/8/5 Evasion,

Primus
    Hps 74/85
    Saves 11/9/6 Evasion

DR 6/ magic

Incarnum

Kurnos Effects:

Party

21. - Top - End - #741
    Ettin in the Playground

With senses attuned for any further sign of nefarious shapeshifters, Kurnos retraces your steps back through the hallway checking behind any remaining doors.

The first door he opens, just to the north (N11), he has a good inkling of what may lie behind. Opening it reveals a simple lavatory drop. A quick glance doesn't show anything of note.

He checks the final door (O20), the lock quickly giving up to Kuln. Beyond is another small bedroom, much like the others although with fewer visual signs of recent habitation. You would probably have left it at that, but Keston with his arcane sight notes something very unusual indeed.

Spoiler: Arcane sight - Keston
    Show
    You can clearly see that the whole eastern wall of the room (P21 - R21) radiates a moderate aura of enchantment illusion magic.

Spoiler: Map
    Show
    Last edited by Ghostfoot; 2021-02-19 at 05:51 PM.

22. - Top - End - #742

Keston focuses on the far wall. "There we go. That wall glows magic. Should be just an illusion. Let's go." He steps up to the wall, touches the illusion with his morningstar, then steps through.

Show
    Disbelief Will (1d20+16)[17]

EDIT: LOL a 1! So the weapon passes through but I'm not convinced?
    Last edited by Cavir; 2021-02-20 at 06:38 AM.
    Show

23. - Top - End - #743
    Titan in the Playground

"Hmm," is all Wat mutters as he follows Keston. Illusion magic is always an annoyance. He used to deal with it by just prodding things with his spear when he got close. But now that they've seen far more real traps in this place he figured it would be a better idea to rely on those more suited to detecting the potential pitfalls they will face.

24. - Top - End - #744

Varian El'Djiran

"Fascinating!" Varian approaches the wall that Keston indicated. He reaches out a hand and touches the supposed illusion, sliding his fingers up and down. "The magic in this place is quite interesting."

Show

Will save for Disbelief - (1d20+16)[23]

25. - Top - End - #745
    Ettin in the Playground

Keston inspects the illusory wall, aware it's supposed to be merely a figment but still not quite convinced. Prodding it with his weapon he takes comfort as he sees Varian simply step through.

Varian, Keston & Wat pass through the weird wall-image and find themselves in a small dark antechamber. A single iron door leads onward to the southeast.

Show

26. - Top - End - #746
    Titan in the Playground

Kurnos

As the illusory wall is discovered Kurnos grins from behind his mask. "Illusion and smoke and mirrors."

With his claws scraping on the walls he nods. And approaches with the others to examine the iron door. ""Well my friends, onwards we go.."

Show

Kurnos
    hps 60/60

Secundus
    Hps 49/ 49
    Saves 9/8/5 Evasion,

Primus
    Hps 74/85
    Saves 11/9/6 Evasion

DR 6/ magic

Incarnum

Kurnos Effects:

Party

27. - Top - End - #747

With the tight quarters, Keston listens then opens the door.

Show
    Listen (1d20+6)[24]
    Show

28. - Top - End - #748
    Ettin in the Playground

Keston listens at the door, hearing what sounds like the occasional clinking of metal on stone and flap, flap of feathery wings...

Opening the door carefully to see what lies beyond he spies a sorry sight. A dungeon chamber greets him, chains and iron collars hanging from the walls and a trio of magical lanterns suspended from the ceiling. Shackled to the walls are a number of majestic griffon steeds in a miserable state. The beasts, not doubt captured from city's renowned griffon air cavalry, are filthy. They flap their wings feebly as their shackles allow and crane their heads towards you.

Show

29. - Top - End - #749
    Titan in the Playground

Kurnos

Kurnos looks in horror at the sorry state of the griffins and runs forward a hand held out to try and calm the beasts. "Come now beasts, shhh, calm now.." he says as he approaches them carefully

Show

Wild empathy (1d20+2)[15]

Kurnos
    hps 60/60

Secundus
    Hps 49/ 49
    Saves 9/8/5 Evasion,

Primus
    Hps 74/85
    Saves 11/9/6 Evasion

DR 6/ magic

Incarnum

Kurnos Effects:

Party

[/QUOTE]

30. - Top - End - #750

Keston is saddened seeing the tortured beasts. As Kurnos works on calming the griffons Keston ponders a moment. then pulls two empty sacks out of his knapsack. He hands one to Kurnos and asks him to hold it open while he holds his own open too. Casting an orison, both sacks are filled with water. Keston turns to another griffon and holds out the sack then slowly approaches, offering it a drink. The sacks may not be water proof but should drain slowly enough for a drink. If accepted, he'll do the same for the other two griffons.
    Show