New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 27 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Ghostfoot's Age of Worms (IC) Pt 2

Kurnos

The druid nods at the others an motions Marezena forward. "You lot, come here and give me a hand moving the lizard eggs. The pulsing of the big one fills me with a suspicion and I don't fancy moving it. Lets move the others ones and then Msitress Marzena here can burn that vile egg and all the evil that I fear it contains." He starts to move the eggs gently rolling and pushing them away from the big black dragon egg to allow Marzena a clean shot

Spoiler: AP
    Show

I'll spend an action point
    Thanks to Emperor Ing for the nice Avatar

2. - Top - End - #182
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Trident?
    Show

Does the Trident return to me?

Bron marvels at the sudden juxtaposed position that Kurnos now takes as he carefully handles the eggs, when just a moment ago, he was savagely rending and breaking kobold bones.

It made him think about ones inability to avoid the savage inside of you, how, no matter what, it was there, ready to pounce the moment your wall of whatever it be crumbled. Whether it be civilization, fine arts, discipline, meditation, whatever it was, it was usually thin veil to what was really below, within us, just under the surface, our real selves...
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

“Take but degree away, untune that string, And, hark, what discord follows!” -Shakespeare
    “Gnyðja mundu nú grísir, ef þeir vissi, hvat inn gamli þyldi” -Ragnar Lodbrok

"I have a high art; I hurt with cruelty those who would damage me." -Archilochus

Discord -Now with a recruitment bot!

3. - Top - End - #183
    Firbolg in the Playground

Keston continues to move to the dragon egg and helps to move the lizard eggs close to the bigger one. His cloud of magical stars return to him, ready to be unleashed on the dragon egg. "Let's do this quickly while my spell lasts. I also have lightning for whatever comes out of it."
    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    Keston Tornok for GF's AoW
    Loradralsornux for GF's Savage Tide
    Avakuss for kinem's Planescape: Center of All
    Sgt Ladaran Xiloscient for MrAbdiel's D&D-Day: The Ballad of Echo Company (WW2 with D&D Rules)
    Ganzak for Toliudar's Coming Unstuck

Extended Signature - More detailed game/character notes

4. - Top - End - #184
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Jhann

With the kobolds dispatched Jhann should have relaxed, but he hesitates when everyone is in a rush to destroy the dragon's egg. Something within him hates the idea, the power that fuels his draconic gifts struggles against him. "I know this egg will grow into a dragon that is an enemy of all that is good...yet I cannot bring myself to ruin it." He says, unusually quiet. "Do as you will, but I cannot help."
    "We have sent many to Hell, to smooth our way," said I, "and we are standing yet and holding blades. What more?"- Roger Zelazny, This Immortal
    Avatar Image: The Great Wave off Kanagawa by Hokusai; bitmap version by me.

5. - Top - End - #185

Keston responds to Jhaan's dilemma. "Do not fret, just be ready in case there is far more than a baby dragon."

Turning to the rest. "That's it, almost done. We just need room right around it for us to fight from and room for Marzena's fire." As Keston helps finish moving the lizard eggs, he activates his Mystra granted protection from acid. Once the eggs are moved, he stands out of Marzena's way and is ready to step forward to zap it with his electrical gauntlets. When everyone is ready, Keston calls upon his spiritual weapon to break open the egg before the spell expires.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Abjurer Resistance. Resist 5 Acid for 1 hour. Move to S17
    Unless GF decides moving the eggs took too long, get one last attack in with the spiritual weapon spell.
    To hit (if needed) (1d20+7)[23] Crit: (1d20+7)[10]
    (1d8+2)[6]
    In case it can be considered an autocrit/coup de grace or just rolled crit: (1d8+2)[10]
    Show
    Sgt Ladaran Xiloscient for MrAbdiel's D&D-Day: The Ballad of Echo Company (WW2 with D&D Rules)

6. - Top - End - #186
    Titan in the Playground

Kuln helps as he can, trying to keep out of the larger people's way and pushing eggs as he can, not sure what Kurnos has in mind exactly but willing to trust him.

7. - Top - End - #187
    Titan in the Playground

Bron went to go get the trident, for some weird reason, and weird was apt, he thought it would return to him.

Frowning, he looked at the item, and stowed it on his back for later use, if need be, he would have to investigate it later, there seemed to be a gem on it that pulsed with electricity.

Turning back, carefully moving around any lizardman eggs, he regarded the larger draconic egg with interest.

"Do we we....have to kill it?" he says to the group, "I mean, how do we know it is evil, whats in there is a baby, I don't think it's infected, my site shows it is alive as us. Why can we not keep it, say, raise it as one of us? Who's to say, that the color of a dragons scales are what dictates it's actions in life?" he shakes his head, the thought of callously destrying a baby, let alone, a Dragon shocked him. If it were infected, then yes, he would do what was needed, but still, a baby?

"I'm...I'm with Jhann on this, I cannot help murder an innocent, regardless of its nature, or parentage."

"Do we not have a bag of holding, or something, that we can store it in?"
    Last edited by BelGareth; 2017-05-31 at 10:41 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

“Take but degree away, untune that string, And, hark, what discord follows!” -Shakespeare

"I have a high art; I hurt with cruelty those who would damage me." -Archilochus

8. - Top - End - #188

With yet another voice of doubt, Keston paused his work. Their question was valid and should get discussed. He spoke in a relaxed calm manner. His spiritual weapon spell expired in the mean time.

"Yes, that is a valid question. A frequent topic among scholars far from danger and often with no experience with putting themselves in mortal danger. I am no expert in the matter and hopefully Kurnos or Hiska can speak to it, but my understanding is that even it were possible to raise a metallic dragon from an egg it would take great skill, constant attention, and immense resources to even have a chance at such a feat. Even if all that was gathered there are whole levels of issues beyond raising something like a dog that is trained in a couple of years. A dragon would take decades or more with their slow aging and lifespans. Any one mistake or loss of control means its escape, putting many innocents at risk until it was dead. Each of those victim's blood would be on our hands. Perhaps if we had a chromatic dragon with a will to try but otherwise I think it safest to not let this egg hatch and thrive. We do not have to enjoy the kill, but do it out of necessity."

"The other issue I see is what what I said earlier. What happens when Ilthane finds out. The lizards will suffer for that as well as the fort we just defended. Hiska should have a say in this too since his tribe is at risk no matter what we decide here. Either way, we need to decide quickly since it looks like it is ready to hatch and we'll probably have to kill it."

Show
    Keston is far wiser than the player, maybe GF will want to give Keston some worldly or divine insight.
    Wisdom (1d20+4)[8]
    Show

9. - Top - End - #189
    Titan in the Playground

Kurnos

The druid looks at the others then back to the pulsing black waist high dragon egg. "There is something wrong with this one. It's unnatural and should be put to the fire. Even were it not the black dragon is an evil creature borm of malice."

He looks over to Hiska, "Shaman, what do you say. Do you want rid of this abomination?"

10. - Top - End - #190
    Ettin in the Playground

The lizardman druid looks up from where he has been tending to the large clutch of eggs. "End it" he hisses. "Or it will surely grow to terrorize both Scaled and Scaleless. The Marsh does not need yet another way to kill".

Marzena warily steps next to him. "On this I agree. We do not want to nurture another apex predator who will only kill our men later. On behalf of Baroness Cromm I request we cleanse the swamp of this future predator".

With the area around the huge dragon egg cleared of lizardfolk eggs you all stand back. Marzena raises her wand, flanked by rescued guardsmen from the tower. A frown of concentration and a word of magic and searing flames course from her wand.

The egg crackles as it rapidly dries, blackish hue turning darker and darker. Soon it ruptures and a vile paste spews out. No hatchling dragon rests within however. Writhing and squirming in the paste are hundreds and thousands of fat green grubs. They wriggle and pop as the cleansing fire washes over them, Marzena aided in this by Jhann as the Calish-ite leaps forward at the alarming turn of events.

Thankfully you are able to contain the mass, the squelchy worm-ridden paste bubbling and boiling killing all worms before they can infect the clutch of eggs or even you and your companions!

Peeking out from underneath the ruined mess you spy a large chest wrapped & bound in oiled cloth...

11. - Top - End - #191
    Titan in the Playground

Looking at those that weren't in favor, Kuln says with a certain amount of grim resign on his face "T'was the only way, lads. Its sorrowful but needed."

12. - Top - End - #192
    Titan in the Playground

Kurnos

the druid mutters a curse under his breath, jumping backwards as the dogs bark and howl at the unatural horror revealed to be within the egg as the worms bubble, hiss and broil. "A wise move. If those worms had hatched they could have infected all of the hatchlings of your entire tribe shaman. You owe us a great thanks." He nods to both Marzena and Jhaan, "Thank you bringing the fire to remove such a menace." Searching around to make sure there are no survivors he reaches for a branch to slowly push the box out of the mass of melted worm flesh to where they can reach it.

"If it it was not an egg of hers then it must have been a strange ward to have been used to contain this. I wonder what lies within." He glances at Marzena, "Apolgies Marzena, we will see you safely back to the border tower after we have seen what lies within."

13. - Top - End - #193
    Titan in the Playground

Bron was aghast at the actions taken, it happened so fast he had no course of action to respond with, even if he could.

But as it became apparent the egg was not of natural means, or as natural for a dragon babling, the knot in his stomach tightened, not only did these people he now traveled with hold to the commonly used perception or black and white, wrong and right, good and evil. But they were willing to kill younglings for it.

But, as he watched, things got more interesting, the knot, releasing slowly, he watched in abject horror as the egg boiled into a mass of writhing worms. What fresh hell was this that he had walked into?

They seemed familiar to him, and then, suddenly, he recalled the worm infested warrior from before, and something else that worried him, his companions seemed not fazed, not as surprised or shocked.

As if they had seen it before.

He frowned “What is going on?” He demanded, “In 100 years I would not have expected that, and yet, it is eerily similar to the warrior we slew not to far from here. What are you not telling me, what have I fallen into?”
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

14. - Top - End - #194

Jhann

"What foul corruption is this?" Jhann says as the last of the worms burn and turns to answer Brom. "You will get your answer, and in full, but we should be away from this place as soon as possible."
    Last edited by Chambers; 2017-06-05 at 06:22 PM.
    "We have sent many to Hell, to smooth our way," said I, "and we are standing yet and holding blades. What more?"- Roger Zelazny, This Immortal

15. - Top - End - #195

Keston was far from the bloodthirsty type, but there was a time and use for violence. To him this was the right thing to do. As the egg contents boiled into mush Keston was glad for further proof of the right choice. He turned to Bron and Jhaan regarding their queries while also informing Marzena and Hishka.

"Before coming here, before going to the fort and finding it under siege, we rooted out a trio of cults supporting the Ebon Triad, whose goal is the merging the three gods Bhaal, Bane and Myrkul. In doing that we discovered the green worms. Delfen, who is now at the fort, heard the worms had been seen around here too so we came to see Marzena here to find out more."

"One of the scaled warriors with Kotobas were infected too, while still living. Now this egg. Hishka, any ideas how the worms got here? Did Redeye have visitors? Did Talos resurrect Redeye and if so why?
    Show

16. - Top - End - #196
    Ettin in the Playground

Hishka hisses in anger or perhaps horror as the true nature of the vile worm-infested egg becomes apparent. "It is a foul curse that Redeye and Ilthane tried to inflict upon us. Truly you have my thanks. Here, what is this hidden beneath?" Hishka leans forward and pulls out the wrapped chest as he answers Keston's questions. Meanwhile Marzena stays at the ready, making sure that her squad mates are focused and alert in the lizard caves, sending two of them to investigate the chests on the far side of the chamber.

Unwrapping and opening the various chests reveals a treasure trove of coins and several carefully packed vials. Hishka pushes it toward you "It's yours. You have liberated us from this terror and have more need of these trinkets than our tribe. I fear you may still cross Ilthane's path and perhaps this will see you to defeat that menace.

Redeye believed that Talos saved him from certain death for a purpose, and that Ilthane was here to help him. He was deceived by that devil dragon who has brought these worms among us".

Spoiler: loot!
    Show
    10 potions
    5320 sp
    19930 gp
    21 pp

17. - Top - End - #197
    Titan in the Playground

Zung looks surprised as Hishka finds the hidden chest.
    Finally driving the chagrin down, he ask Hishka "What else do you know of Ilthane and this worm infestation? Where did Ilthane come from? Was there anything else it spoke of, plans or rumors?" the gnome asks anxiously.

18. - Top - End - #198
    Titan in the Playground

Kurnos looks at the others. "There are dark things in this area. Darker by far than I was expecting, even from when we were in the mines a couple of weeks ago."

Prodding with a butt of the club he stirs the charred Worms. "If we take Marzena and head back to town. Then maybe we can get some answers."

As the chest is opens his eyes widen. It's a lot of gold. Looking at the shaman he asks gently,"What of your tribe Hiska. Will you continue to attack us or will you give us peace. We do not want to slay anymore of your warriors. We want peace between the town's and your tribe. "

19. - Top - End - #199

Keston looks at the piles and piles of coins. "Thank you, Hiska, for your understanding. I'm glad we ended this infestation. I do hope Redeye's end is the end of the trouble between our peoples. Be aware we came across the blue feathers so they may be looking to find a weakness here. We'll tell the fort to expect visitors under a truce flag. It is a long trek back. Could we make quarters in a room near the entrance for tonight and start fresh in the morning? "

Show
    Holy Haversacks Batman! 505lbs of coins! A single haversack can only handle 120lbs. Good thing we have the dogs to help. I could take 5k (100lbs) of them in my haversack. Might as well not slow the dogs down too much, plus it's spreading out the load/risk.

Assuming that loot list included the chests on the far left. Resting for spells would be a good thing for Keston and probably Marzena.
    Show

20. - Top - End - #200
    Titan in the Playground

Bron listened as what was unfolding to even them was explained.

He didn't pretend to understand, but, as he had thought of before, these people, they were...on a task of destiny, he thought. The Muse inside him, thought of epic poems of old, and he had little trouble imagining the group in one, he frowned, trying to sort it all out, and held no warded tongue, or objection to what they were doing, he merely picked up the trident, and stood at the ready, ruminating on the strange news he had received.
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

21. - Top - End - #201
    Ettin in the Playground

Hishka crouches down to speak more closely with wee Kuln "Ilthane is a creature of power, true. Redeye and the tribe were easily swayed by her lies. She came to us years ago from far away just as worms such as these ravaged our hatchlings. She promised aid, and through her presence the plague of worms abated. The dragon spoke of the wizards of the human cities and how they had sent the plague upon us to drive us from our lands. She spoke of revenge and conquest, and Redeye bought every word, building our strength for war. I see now that this was all lies. The dragon had brought the worms and used them to trick us into believing her. She was the cause not the cure."

To Kurnos and Keston he says "The time for fighting between Scaled and Scaleless is over. You humans hold power in words and paper. Tell your leaders at the fort to prepare words that bind us in peace. I will come to them within the week and place my mark on this paper, locking all talons and swords in peace.

You may certainly rest here and begin your trek back tomorrow. We will send some of our scouts with you to keep the Blue Feathers and other beasts at bay."

Marzena agrees "Yes, we should return to Cromm's Hold with haste, and then I must speak with Delfen of these developments. It seems a dark plot indeed is afoot and I shudder to think what may be next".

You spend the night camped in one of the nest chambers. The lizard tribe treats you with a surprisingly edible feast of roasted marsh snakes and sweet roots. Although still hesitant and reserved in your presence some of the warriors put on a show of strength and mock-battles displaying their fighting prowess.

In the morning you depart with a couple of scouts to lead you. Thanks to their skills the trip back is free from conflict. You skirt the webs of the giant swamp spiders and elude a large carnivorous dinosaur. Pteranodons fly overhead but you are able to take cover under foliage. They point out large predatory toads lurking in the reeds waiting to ambush unsuspecting marsh animals.

Toward the end of the following day you finally make out the tower of Cromm's Hold rising from the hillock ahead. The guides wave you forward and disappear back into the swamp to rejoin their tribe...

Spoiler: resting
    Show
    feel free to do any healing or other prep on the two days back

22. - Top - End - #202

Keston ensures all are fully healed and uses his magic to clean everyone's gear that desired it. The dogs' furs gets a thankful cleaning too. He watches the displays put on by the lizardfolk with enthusiasm. His thirst for knowledge has him speaking with Hishka that evening on a variety of topics from their customs and history to the dangers of the swamp. Once the lizardfold retire for the night Keston takes his time and figures out the variety of unknown potions collected. Keston is happy to sleep in the chamber, far safer than out in the swamp and he was filled with a sense of pride having helped to stop the worm threat here and create peace.

With the threat lessened the shepard of magic uses some of his power each day to start identifying the magics the party had gained during this adventure. He spends the days speaking with Marzena. At first he relates their experiences including the Whispering Cairn, Filge, the cults, and the Faceless One. He hopes Marzena will be open about her experiences and how she became employed at Cromm's Hold. If she is a wizard and not a dedicated warmage he'll offer her to make use of either of his spell books for any spells she does not already have.

With the tower in sight, Keston waves a goodbye to their lizardfolk scouts, straightens his deep blue cape, then continues on to the tower. He observes the state of things around them and at the tower since they have been gone for nearly a week.

Show
    Prestidigitation for cleaning gear and pets.

Potions: IDing is Spellcraft DC 25. I'm at +17 so auto success with Take 10.
    Kotobas: 2x potion. Are they all the same?
    Redeye: potion #1
    Redeye: potion #2
    Egg: 10 potions. Are they all the same?

For both days of travel will prepare 3 castings of Identify (two 1st level plus 2nd level domain) and use them at near the end of each day. Also have a Pearl of Power (1st level), so each day I can recast a Identify spell (now 4 per day):
    1) Trident
    2) Ivory ring carved interlocking scales
    3) Red glass goggles
    4) Talos amulet
    5) Crude amulet
    6) Fingerless studded leather gloves
    7) Redeye bracers
    8) Talos shield

The coins from the Kotobas, Redeye, and the egg chamber total 20,939.63gp. Granted we need haversacks and the dogs to carry most of it but to make tracking easier, shall we just all claim our share now?
    320cp, 75sp, 81gp
    51cp, 73sp, 71gp
    5320 sp, 19930 gp, 21 pp

Summed up with 5 shares:
    74cp
    29.6sp
    4,016.4gp
    4.2pp
    Last edited by Cavir; 2017-06-28 at 10:27 PM.
    Show

23. - Top - End - #203
    Titan in the Playground

Kurnos rests happily before looking around the room in the morning. In the dim light, he focuses ad prays for the morning blessings of the earth, wind and sky and the power flows into his body. Purple and blue smoke slowly forming around him as he binds more incarnum into his form. Purple scales, a long tail, a shimmering crown, golden armplates amongst the melds that coalesce onto his form.

Spoiler: Melds
    Show

Melds:
    Totemist: Shedu crown (totem), wormtail belt, dragon claws
    Incarnate: Astral vambraces, Strongheart vest

Spells unchanged

He seeks out the lizard shaman giving him a short bow. "My thanks Hiska. I hope for a long peace between our people. We will not venture far into the swamp I'm sure. THere is little land to farm or things to hunt for commerce.
    If your people wish I'm sure they could trade at the fort. We will speak with the soldiers and arrange a signal so that they know you come in peace."
    After some more small talk he leaves taking the pair of massive hounds with him. On the walk back he looks at his friends and the massive sacks of coins and magical treasure. "Is there anything of interest there my friends? We have done well stripping that mad lizard and the dragon of some of their wealth. I feel anything we can use will help us. I feel dark days approaching for us."

He looks about as they walk, hopping onto the back of the monstrous Primus to ride slowly and easily towards the tower, waving a hand above his head to signal their peaceful intent.

24. - Top - End - #204
    Titan in the Playground

Kuln nods in understanding, knowing the sway those with power have over those seeking it or some comfort in the cold world. "We will do what we can to help insure peace between you and the fort." offers, with hope in his voice.

Later, as everyone makes their way back, the gnome ponders what the creatures are and their purpose.
    Seeing to everyone's hurts as best he can, he tries to relax a bit, knowing deep down this is just a brief respite before reporting back to the wizard.

25. - Top - End - #205
    Ettin in the Playground

As you approach the keep you spy a few soldiers on sentry duty atop the battlements. Given the small number visible, and the wreckage still strewn about the battlefield, it seems that the reinforcements from Daggerford have not yet arrived.

At the gate the guards salute. You notice them nervously with hands on their weapons and eyes darting to the deepening shadows about. "Sirs, Marzena, welcome! It is good you ave returned. Baroness Cromm will want to see you immediately."

Hustling swiftly past the remaining wretched injured and the few able-bodied soldiers you meet Piann Cromm in her quarters. After formalities you report on the incident at the Redeye tribe lair and the rescue of Marzena and the captive soldiers. At the mention of Hishka's offer of truce she nods thoughtfully. "A pleasing development. There will be much to work through, but a cessation of hostilities is a welcome development.

I'm afraid we have a more pressing issue though. Something - somethings - stalk the keep. One of those captive scalies was infected. Vile little green worms crawled out of it and sought out new hosts. Anyone they got to succumbed if they were lucky or otherwise became a new host, . The men fought as back best they could but the things are horrific and unkillable. We barricaded them in the dungeons but they keep breaking out and dragging my men off to their doom. I don't know how much longer we can hold them back."
    She looks at you grimly.

26. - Top - End - #206

Jhann

"Out of one fire, into the next..." Jhann says to himself when the commander tells them of the keep's latest woes. "Unkillable? Not if it bleeds. It has been a long, tiresome journey. Some of us are not used to traveling in such conditions and may require a few hours of sleep, but I'll stand watch with your guards until those with brighter minds can figure a solution."

27. - Top - End - #207
    Titan in the Playground

Kurnos

Kurnos and the massive hounds no at Jhaan's words, although he is quite fresh from his travels and his spells are all up to scratch and ready to be used. His incarnum vest and braces glimmering along with the claws and purple scaled belt. "I can stand the watch with you also Jhaan. We aren't that tired". He looks at Marzena, "Can you tell us more on these foul beasts and what they may entail and cause danger to us? Your knowledge on these matters was one of the reasons we were coming in here in the first place.""

heading in he looks at the guards. "How many of the beasts are there and where have you got them contained?"

28. - Top - End - #208
    Titan in the Playground

Kuln blanches as he hears of the description of the creatures from Marzena. With a sigh as he thinks of a cot to rest and a warm meal, he shrugs. "I'll join the both of you. You need to have someone there that will be able to notice these creatures skulking about." he says with a weary grin.

29. - Top - End - #209

Keston had been hoping for better news upon reaching the tower, so much so he wasn't best prepared for significant fighting. He had been looking forward to detailed discussions late into the night with Delfen and Marzena. He could still do his part though. He had Mystra herself backing him!

"We do know the worms burn. Torches would be useful against the worms trying to infect others. Let your people know that. Have there been signs of organized strategy from the infected? Has anyone tried a Detect Evil to see if that will detect who is infected? I will ready one tomorrow. Otherwise, I'm willing to press on. Do you have a map we can use? We'd like to know the problem locations and where your people are stationed so we can work with that."
    Show

30. - Top - End - #210
    Titan in the Playground

Bron is troubled by the strange revelations bought to him by his fortuitous rescuers, but he cannot stop thinking of how he has so fallen in with this company. It was a certain sense of...destiny to it, and for the first time in a long time, he smiled at the irony of it all.

He cleaned his sword, and rested as they traveled, managing to keep up and assist where needed. As they approached the tower, he was quiet, watching, studying, as he always was. He perked up at hearing of 'unkillable' monsters, nothing was unkillable, he had studied that particular theory well.

"Are they undead? Have you tried holy water, or other means of holy weaponry?"

He piped up again, "I am also ready, if we do not need rest, then perhaps we should go prepare for our fight with these monsters?"
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A