New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 41 of 42 FirstFirst ... 16313233343536373839404142 LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,230 of 1253
  1. - Top - End - #1201
    Ettin in the Playground

MonkGuy

Default Re: Unlimited Blade Works: The Guide to the Ultimate Paladin/Sorcerer Multiclass

Honestly, at that point, you're crossing into a stretch where Paladin is just great all the way up - 8 gets you ASI, sure. But 9 gets you Haste. 10's a bit of a lowish point, you "only" get aura - immune to fear. But then you have Improved Divine Smite, and another ASI....

For where you're at, I'd say if you can retrain a level of Paladin, I'd do that. But if you can't, I'd at least go to 9 to have Haste on your Paladin side.
    Pokemon friend code : 3067-5701-8746

Trade list can be found on my Giant League wiki page, all pokemon are kept in stock with 5 IVs, most with egg moves, some bred for Hidden Powers. Currently at 55 in stock and counting.

Padherders for my phone and my tablet!

2. - Top - End - #1202
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Re: Unlimited Blade Works: The Guide to the Ultimate Paladin/Sorcerer Multiclass

Quote Originally Posted by bendking View Post
    I would actually ask my DM to revert a level of Paladin so you could be Paladin 6/Sorcerer 2. Oath of Vengeance level 7 feature isn't amazing, and I would much rather start my Sorcerer career at that point.
    In regards to subclass, in my opinion, Divine Soul works better, because Spirit Guardians and Spiritual Weapon are just incredible spells which fill out two things for you:
    1. Good AoE. Something Paladins rarely have.
    2. Bonus Action usage.
    Does Vow of Enmity work with Spiritual Weapon btw ?

3. - Top - End - #1203
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by FrankinLondon View Post
    Thanks for the input. I was planning on using my Sorcerer spells to either increase my chances to hit (Darkness, Invisibility etc) or reduce my chances of being hit (Shield, Prot vs Evil, Blur etc).It will be nice to have a ranged cantrip to do damage with, but the character is pretty much a toe to toe melee sort. I was thinking of the feats (or possibly a Con stat increase) to minimise the chances of failing concentration. I won't really be looking for damaging Sorc spells. Its a shame my Con is even lol.
    If that’s all you’re looking for I think Shadow is your best bet. 2 SP darkness for easy advantage is hard to beat. None of the spells you listed are even exclusive to the cleric list so divine soul isn’t necessary to get what you want.

4. - Top - End - #1204
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by FrankinLondon View Post
    Does Vow of Enmity work with Spiritual Weapon btw ?
    I think it does but you already have a contingent bonus action from GWM, vow of enmity, and you’ll likely to grab quicken as well as metamagic so you can run into bonus action clog and Spiritual weapon might be wasted.

5. - Top - End - #1205
    Pixie in the Playground

MindFlayer

[QUOTE=Gastronomie;21273141][CENTER]Unaware of loss, nor aware of gain
    Ratios of Paladin and Sorcerer Levels

Paladin 6/ Sorcerer 14

Cannot get level 8 or 9 spells (aka Wish)

On page 164 of the PHB, the rules of multiclassing with spellcasters is explained, and based on the rules presented there, because paladin is a half caster at level 6 it's considered a level 3 caster, which you add to sorcerer levels to determine the overall spellcaster level, which means that at level 20 a 6 pal/14 sorc is a level 17 caster and has a level 9 spell slot and a level 8 one. :)

6. - Top - End - #1206
    Bugbear in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

[QUOTE=Deckles;24862196]
    Quote Originally Posted by Gastronomie View Post
    [CENTER]Unaware of loss, nor aware of gain
    Ratios of Paladin and Sorcerer Levels

Paladin 6/ Sorcerer 14

Cannot get level 8 or 9 spells (aka Wish)

On page 164 of the PHB, the rules of multiclassing with spellcasters is explained, and based on the rules presented there, because paladin is a half caster at level 6 it's considered a level 3 caster, which you add to sorcerer levels to determine the overall spellcaster level, which means that at level 20 a 6 pal/14 sorc is a level 17 caster and has a level 9 spell slot and a level 8 one. :)
    You have the slot, yes, but a level 14 sorcerer can not choose level spells.

7. - Top - End - #1207
    Pixie in the Playground

MindFlayer

[QUOTE=Klorox;24862250]
    Quote Originally Posted by Deckles View Post

You have the slot, yes, but a level 14 sorcerer can not choose level spells.

In the PHB under "spells known of 1st level and higher" it says "Additionally when you gain a level in this class, you can choose one of the sorcerer spells you know and replace it with another spell from the sorcerer spell list, which must also be of a level for which you have spell slots". which implies that as long as you have the proper level slots, you can get the spells on your list associated with that level.

8. - Top - End - #1208
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

[QUOTE=Deckles;24862255]
    Quote Originally Posted by Klorox View Post

In the PHB under "spells known of 1st level and higher" it says "Additionally when you gain a level in this class, you can choose one of the sorcerer spells you know and replace it with another spell from the sorcerer spell list, which must also be of a level for which you have spell slots". which implies that as long as you have the proper level slots, you can get the spells on your list associated with that level.
    Multiclassing spellcasters is twofold, going back to PHB pg 164. Your spell slots is based off your combined spellcasting level, but the section "Spells Known and Prepared" highlights that you prepare spells based on your single class levels. So a level 20 Sorcadin of Paladin 6 Sorcerer 14 has the spell slots of a 17th level sorcerer (14 + 6/2), but can only prepare spells as a level 6 paladin and learns spells as a level 14 sorcerer. That means that even though they have 9th level slots, they only know up to 7th level spells, from their sorcerer side. The level 8 and 9 slots are used for upcasting, or for converting into sorcery points. (You can also use it for smiting, but that becomes less relevant after your slot level hits 5, due to the cap on divine smite's damage)

9. - Top - End - #1209
    Pixie in the Playground

MindFlayer

[QUOTE=Salmon343;24862266]
    Quote Originally Posted by Deckles View Post
    Multiclassing spellcasters are twofold, going back to PHB pg 164. Your spell slots are based on your combined spellcasting level, but the section "Spells Known and Prepared" highlights that you prepare spells based on your single class levels. So a level 20 Sorcadin of Paladin 6 Sorcerer 14 has the spell slots of a 17th level sorcerer (14 + 6/2), but can only prepare spells as a level 6 paladin and learns spells as a level 14 sorcerer. That means that even though they have 9th level slots, they only know up to 7th level spells, from their sorcerer side. The level 8 and 9 slots are used for upcasting, or for converting into sorcery points. (You can also use it for smiting, but that becomes less relevant after your slot level hits 5, due to the cap on divine smite's damage)
    So you're saying that the PHB contradicts itself? Because it specifically says that the spells you can prepare as a sorcerer are base on your highest level spell slot. In the end though, especially if its a contradiction it is still up to the dm, so, ¯\_( º ‸ º )_/¯

10. - Top - End - #1210
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

[QUOTE=Deckles;24862281]
    Quote Originally Posted by Salmon343 View Post

So you're saying that the PHB contradicts itself? Because it specifically says that the spells you can prepare as a sorcerer are base on your highest level spell slot. In the end though, especially if its a contradiction it is still up to the dm, so, ¯\_( º ‸ º )_/¯
    These are pretty standard rules. If your DM chooses to allow improper multiclass spell casting that’s totally up to them. But that’s homebrewing rules not RAW.

11. - Top - End - #1211
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Here's one I built I'm looking for feedback/optimization. Went a little more into Paladin for the fear lockdown combo and got fear/prone related abilities. The goal is to fear them, making their movement 0, knock prone, they can't get up. Kinda a lockdown tank build.

(Link to the dndbeyond character sheet you'll have to remove the spaces for it to work https:// ddb.ac/characters/43165333/BK0EMh)
    Last edited by smi77y; 2021-01-23 at 11:27 AM.

12. - Top - End - #1212
    Pixie in the Playground

Question Re: Unlimited Blade Works: The Guide to the Ultimate Paladin/Sorcerer Multiclass

Quote Originally Posted by DivisibleByZero View Post
    See, mine is mostly control / support.
    That's the issue that I have with this guide. It takes one possible role with one possible build and assumes everyone will do the same.
    Maybe that's one of the options, but that shouldn't comprise the entire guide.

For reference, here's one of the Sorcadins that I have played:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Here's what I did, copy/pasted from a text file I had. We got a free feat at level 1, I took war caster right away. You'd have to adjust the cantrips and lvl1 pally spells to account for not raising Cha at 6.

27 pts
    Str 13(5) - or 10 if allowed
    Dex 15(9)+1=16
    Con 13(5)+1= 14
    Int 8
    Wis 9(1) - or 12 if 10str allowed
    Cha 14(7)+2= 16

Half Elf: darkvision, fey ancestry, skill versatility (Stealth and Investigation), languages (common, elvish, +one)
    Urban Bounty Hunter: Insight & Perception (instead of Stealth), thieves' tools, one instrument or gaming set, clothes, pouch with 20gp
    Free feat: War Caster

1. paladin 1 of Tymora
    - 10+con HP each level
    - equipment: one martial weapon (rapier or scimitar) & a shield, one simple weapon (dagger), explorer's pack, studded leather armor, holy symbol // thieves' tools, gaming set (dice), clothes, pouch with 20gp
    - divine sense, lay on hands
    - Proficiencies:
    --- all simple and martial weapons, all armor and shields
    --- Wisdom and Charisma saves
    --- thieves' tools, one gaming set (dice), acrobatics, insight, investigation, perception, persuasion, stealth

2. sorcerer 1 favored soul of Tymora (Trickery)
    - d6+con HP each level
    - chosen of the gods
    - cantrips: booming blade, greenflame blade, minor illusion, ray of frost
    - spells: charm person, disguise self // shield, sleep (later swap)

3. p2
    - defense style, spellcasting, divine smite
    - current spells:
    --- cantrips: booming blade, greenflame blade, minor illusion, ray of frost
    --- level 1: bless, command, cure wounds, shield of faith // charm person, disguise self // shield, sleep

4. s2
    - font of magic
    - current spells:
    --- level 1: bless, command, cure wounds, shield of faith // charm person, disguise self // chromatic orb, shield, sleep

5. s3
    - metamagic: quicken & twinned
    - current spells:
    --- level 1: bless, command, cure wounds, shield of faith // charm person, disguise self // chromatic orb, shield, (sleep swapped for web)
    --- level 2: mirror image, pass without trace // hold person, web

6. s4
    - ASI (+2cha = 18)
    - current spells:
    --- cantrips: booming blade, greenflame blade, mage hand, minor illusion,ray of frost
    --- level 1: bless, command, cure wounds, divine favor, shield of faith // charm person, disguise self // chromatic orb, shield
    --- level 2: mirror image, pass without trace // hold person, suggestion, web

7. s5
    - current spells:
    --- cantrips: booming blade, greenflame blade, mage hand, minor illusion, ray of frost
    --- level 1: bless, command, cure wounds, divine favor, shield of faith // charm person, disguise self // chromatic orb, shield
    --- level 2: mirror image, pass without trace // hold person, (suggestion swapped for fly), web
    --- level 3: blink, dispel magic // fly, haste

8. s6
    - extra attack
    - current spells:
    --- cantrips: booming blade, greenflame blade, mage hand, minor illusion, ray of frost
    --- level 3: blink, dispel magic // fireball, fly, haste

9. s7
    - current spells:
    --- level 4: dimension door, polymorph // wall of fire

10. s8
    - ASI (+2dex = 18)
    - current spells:
    --- cantrips: booming blade, fire bolt, greenflame blade, mage hand, minor illusion
    --- level 4: dimension door, polymorph // greater invisibility, wall of fire

11. s9
    - current spells:
    --- level 5: dominate person, modify memory // hold monster

12. s10
    - metamagic: heightened, quicken, twinned
    - current spells:
    --- level 1: bless, cure wounds, divine favor, searing smite, shield of faith // charm person, disguise self // chromatic orb, shield
    --- level 5: dominate person, modify memory // hold monster, wall of stone
    This seems like an awesome build for P2/SorX.

I'm curious, what how does draconic origin fare against Favored soul

(the one with Extra attack)

Also Could you describe typical rounds of this class combo? is it mostly played like a sorcerer or a paladin(but with examples please XD). I guess it's sort of a nova attacker but I dont get it fully

13. - Top - End - #1213
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by mcabel View Post
    This seems like an awesome build for P2/SorX.

I'm curious, what how does draconic origin fare against Favored soul

(the one with Extra attack)

Also Could you describe typical rounds of this class combo? is it mostly played like a sorcerer or a paladin(but with examples please XD). I guess it's sort of a nova attacker but I dont get it fully
    Note that technically you can’t get warcaster if you start as Paladin so one thing you’d need to change in the build to make it RAW.

14. - Top - End - #1214

RedKnightGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Gignere View Post
    Note that technically you can’t get warcaster if you start as Paladin so one thing you’d need to change in the build to make it RAW.
    You'd get it at Level 6 (Sorcerer 4). It's a delay, and not ideal, but in context, it's not as much of a problem up to that point anyway: yeah you're more likely to drop concentration, but you're probably only concentrating on X Smite or Shield of Faith. Your options for concentration spells isn't so large that not having War Caster before that will hurt you: you're grabbing it for everything that comes after.

15. - Top - End - #1215
    Pixie in the Playground

What do you mean? you mean that I can't get it until later or there is any prerequisite involved here? Also what is the downside of starting as sor instead of pld? what would be the pro of starting Sor?

Also, from what I see, the main benefit of warcaster is AoO with BoomBlade to potentially* give some extra damage(not sure of which other combo would be used regularily to benefit from this feat). I'm not sure which spells this build uses regularly, that have Somatic but no material(but feel free to clarify if I'm wrong, i'm trying to learn here ).
    Last edited by mcabel; 2021-02-15 at 07:12 PM.

16. - Top - End - #1216

Quote Originally Posted by Salmon343 View Post
    It is indeed poorly written. Unfortunately, 5E developement went with 'plain English' rather than robust language, which means a lot stuff tends to be ambiguous or not quite explicit enough.

So here, a Sorcerer bases Spells Known on Spell Slots:
    ...these spells must be of a level for which you have spell slots.
    A Sorcerer with Paladin levels has higher level Spell Slots than they would with just their Sorcerer level. This would result in Spells Known being of a higher level. To attempt to make the Spells Known be only based on the Spell Slots the Sorcerer would have without the Paladin levels the Multiclass rules state:
    You determine what spells you know and can prepare for each class individually, as if you were a single-classed member of that class.
    It limits your Spells Known to a single class at a time, without mentioning anything about Spell Slots. It then expects you to apply this as if you were also a single-classed member of that class for Spell Slots, despite talking only about Spells Known.

The text should have been written as thus:
    You determine what spells you know and can prepare for each class individually, as if the only spell slots available to you were as a single-classed member of that class.
    Alas, 'Plain English'.
    Last edited by Aimeryan; 2021-02-15 at 07:08 PM.

17. - Top - End - #1217

RedKnightGirl

What do you mean? you mean that I can't get it until later or there is any prerequisite involved here? Also what is the downside of starting as sor instead of pld? what would be the pro of starting Sor?

Also, from what I see, the main benefit of warcaster is AoO with BoomBlade to potentially* give some extra damage(not sure of which other combo would be used regularily to benefit from this feat). I'm not sure which spells this build uses regularly, that have Somatic but no material(but feel free to clarify if I'm wrong, i'm trying to learn here ).
    Multi-classing before Level 4 means you delay your ASI/Feat Opportunity. There is nothing to stop you from taking Warcaster with your fourth Paladin level or fourth Sorcerer level.

Generally speaking, you want to pick Paladin before Sorcerer for more complete weapon/armor proficiencies. The page that describes the multi-classing rules in the PHB lays out exactly what proficiencies are gained, but the short version is:

Paladin -> Sorcerer starts with heavy armor proficiency
    while Sorcerer -> Paladin only gets Medium upon multi-classing.

This isn't necessarily a deal breaker if your DEX is 12+, but DEX is generally a dumpstat for the archetype alongside INT.

18. - Top - End - #1218
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Warcaster has the prerequisite of the ability to cast spell, so level 1 paladin cannot select the feat.
    Last edited by Gignere; 2021-02-15 at 09:25 PM.

19. - Top - End - #1219
    Pixie in the Playground

Warcaster has the prerequisite of the ability to cast spell, so level 1 paladin cannot select the feat.
    I seethx. I was planning on choosing a half elf -moonelf variant, which replaces two proficiencies for a cantrip (GFB or booming blade seems like a good choice?). Although I still dont understand well how useful it will be to pick Warcaster as a dex/rapier/finesse build P2/Sor X.

Multi-classing before Level 4 means you delay your ASI/Feat Opportunity. There is nothing to stop you from taking Warcaster with your fourth Paladin level or fourth Sorcerer level.

Generally speaking, you want to pick Paladin before Sorcerer for more complete weapon/armor proficiencies. The page that describes the multi-classing rules in the PHB lays out exactly what proficiencies are gained, but the short version is:

Paladin -> Sorcerer starts with heavy armor proficiency
    while Sorcerer -> Paladin only gets Medium upon multi-classing.

This isn't necessarily a deal breaker if your DEX is 12+, but DEX is generally a dumpstat for the archetype alongside INT.
    I see thanks. I was planning on making a dex/rapier/finesse build P2/Sor X

BTW,does either of you, or anyone know how does draconic origin fare against Favored soul Origin (the one that gives extra attack and some domain)
    Last edited by mcabel; 2021-02-15 at 09:55 PM.

20. - Top - End - #1220
    Ogre in the Playground

BTW,does either of you, or anyone know how does draconic origin fare against Favored soul Origin (the one that gives extra attack and some domain)
    There's no "Favoured" Soul in this edition. There is Divine Soul, but it gives neither Extra Attack nor a Domain.
    Last edited by Hytheter; 2021-02-15 at 10:37 PM.

21. - Top - End - #1221
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I seethx. I was planning on choosing a half elf -moonelf variant, which replaces two proficiencies for a cantrip (GFB or booming blade seems like a good choice?). Although I still dont understand well how useful it will be to pick Warcaster as a dex/rapier/finesse build P2/Sor X.

I see thanks. I was planning on making a dex/rapier/finesse build P2/Sor X

Favored Soul is UA and when it made it to print it became divine soul. Favored soul is unbalanced IMO.
    Last edited by Gignere; 2021-02-15 at 10:37 PM.

22. - Top - End - #1222
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hytheter View Post
    There's no "Favoured" Soul in this edition. There is Divine Soul, but it gives neither Extra Attack nor a Domain.
    Favored Soul is UA and when it made it to print it became divine soul. Favored soul is unbalanced IMO.
    From your comments you seem to imply that the old Favored soul with extra attack was better than Draconic origin, which gives natural AC (almost too powerful on dex builds, extra HP for a caster, and increased elemental damage).... I'm not sure why is it considered unbalanced, because the current draconic origin sounds a bit better than Extra attack plus some random(more flavor than use)-angelic features.

The current divine Soul sounds like a less good cleric imo... but maybe I'm missing something DX

23. - Top - End - #1223
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by smi77y View Post
    Here's one I built I'm looking for feedback/optimization. Went a little more into Paladin for the fear lockdown combo and got fear/prone related abilities. The goal is to fear them, making their movement 0, knock prone, they can't get up. Kinda a lockdown tank build.

(Link to the dndbeyond character sheet you'll have to remove the spaces for it to work https:// ddb.ac/characters/43165333/BK0EMh)
    Spoiler: conquest sorcadin
    Show
    I'd consider divine soul instead of shadow for the sorcerer's origin, cause that will get you access to some spells that play nicely with your channel divinity and with each other. Between fear and conquering presence, fear has the stronger effect, but the CD has a better AoE even if fear is (semi) party frienly thanks to either aura of courage or careful spell, and moreover you can add to it by stacking it with a concentration spell that has good synergy (with the CD that is).

Which spells I would look to stack with the CD? Web and spirit guardians mostly. (Quickened) Web plays better when you frighten a bunch of targets that you cannot or dont want to get within 10' with (and this helps with not having your fear effect backfire by having enemies run towards your squishies because they cannot engage you; moreover, aside for the initial save, enemies caught in your web have to spend actions to roll checks at disadvantage -because they are frightened- to get out of it). (Quickened) Spirit guardians works best when you frighten a bunch of enemies that are within 10' of you. Most importantly, both options offer some field control on their own that is not relying on fear, so that means that even when you are facing enemies that are resistant/immune to fear, you have some control options added on top of your basic BB (+smite) OA. If you end up going that way, I'd really advise aiming for pal7/sorc5 at character level 12 for quicker access to spirit guardians (that is unless you are really hurting for ressurection magic or for an upgrade to out of combat healing, in which case and since you are already planning for 9 paladin levels, I might consider delaying spirit guardians till character level 14).

Another spell that might play well with your CD and with you wanting tools for battlefield control, could be animate dead. Zombies make decent grapplers, even moreso against frigtened enemies who'll have disadvantage on their checks. Your aura of protection also adds to their tankiness a bit, but at the levels you could be getting them, I'd only consider them if you are allowed to armor them. Otherwise even with aura of protection helping them they are still too frail for the kind of enemies you will pressumably be facing at tier 3. Even then, they are still very slow and they require a fair bit of preparation (you really need the downtime to make them cost efficient cause lots of good options will compete for your 3rd and above level slots, which you may not get if you are doing something like an extenssive dungeon crawling adventure). And then there's the rp angle. So yeah, armored zombies is an option you could think about. Skeleton archers (or twf's) is a bonus action non-concentration damage dealer, very similarly to how spiritual weapon (which is an oath spell for you) can act for you. There are some pros that in the right situation (better range, the opportunity to use it slightly as a damage sponge) could offset the cons (requires preparation, uses higher level slots), but this is not the reason to invest in animate dead for this particular build. Only something to keep in mind in case you do.

Now, fear effects allow you to do some battlefield control, but the effect of this control is very prone to the positioning of everyone. In some cases this can backfire, because all the afflicted enemy has to do is to not get closer to you, but that does not mean that terrain allowing, an enemy could not bypass you and go after one of your allies. Of course the conquest aura helps with that, but only in a 10' radius, so the chance for fear effects to backfire control wise is still there. That's why web was one of my first mentions above, because it helps counteract this somewhat. Another way to counteract this is by having allies gather close to you (and hopefully they'll be close enough to you and the frightened enemy far enough from you to get to them). Of course bunching up in a fireball formation has its own disdvantages, and they are many. But sometimes it might be worth doing it. And some other times you might think it will be worth doing it and you'll be wrong about it. For these cases it will be good to have counterspell (aura of protection also helps). Of course, counterspell is a good spell anyway, even moreso on a frontliner who has better chances of being close to the caster (especially on a frontliner who can go nova and thus who might even be after the caster anyway). So yeah, counterspell is definitely a spell I would look to pick up eventually (ie at sorcerer 5 or 6 most likely).

The general idea so far and how I'd proceed.
    Wrathful smite, conquering presence and fear, cover all your bases regarding fear effects (and no matter how well rounded your build ends up being, a great part of how effective you'll be relates to how well you'll use these spells; so know which one to use, with what to combine it, when to use them and when not). IMO you dont need anything more than that (for frigtening enemies), but you also shouldn't settle for anything less than that either. So, between spells like wrathful smite, fear, web, spirit guardians, bless and perhaps a couple more that dont immediately come to mind as absilutely necessary (hold person comes with your oath IIRC, which can be a good option if cast from a higher level slot and after you have your extra attack, if you are still coming accross extremelly dangerous humanoids in the numbers of 3-6; something like the anti-party), you've got most of your bases covered regarding your concentration options. You could add something like a banishment, polymorph or hold monster later on for some added specialization later on (personal prefference for hold monster because it plays well with crit smiting). But the point remains that your concentration is pretty well covered for all eventualities. Add to that all the non-concentration (at least during combat) options you will probably get and that you'll have by default, so spells shield, absorb elements, maybe healing word which although great it will really push those low level slots, spiritual weapon, aid, revivify, aura of vitality (earlier on prayer of healing if you really need it), dispel magic, counterspell, armor of agathys, potentially animate dead and at least one teleportation (misty step or dimension door) and on instantaneous AoE (more on that later). Add to that your smites that will also compete for slots. If you put it down, you can see that your known spells have enough pressure as it is, but no more pressure than your spell slots (which can fuel a great number of things). For this reason, I would look to finish off my spell list with non-concentration spells that fill some kind of niche. And ideally that have some synergy with whatever I can already do. For this reason, I would really consider two spells. Freedom of movement and vitriolic sphere.

Vitriolic sphere is not that much of a niche spell, as I already wanted a non-concentration AoE. But why that and not something more common like fireball? Because of the damage type. AoE's play nicely with restrained effects, as restrained enemies will have disadvantage on their dex saves, which is what a damage AoE will usually target. What do I have in my arsenal that can impose the restrained condition? The web spell. But fire burns down a web. Yes, it'll do some extra damage, but that's not worth throwing away the restrained status which the enemies will have great trouble escaping from (since it costs them an action to try), especially if they are frigtened (cause disadvantage on checks). Hence I want to look at a non-fire non-concentration AoE that targets DEX saves. And vitriolic sphere is the best I can find. It has a downside that it deals damage in two doses (two turns worth of damage), but this is substancially mitigated by the fact that you'll be mostly using it against restrained enemies, and ideally against frightened restrained enemies (which are most likely to say in place for their turn).

Now, my somewhat niche pick would be freedom of movement. I'll admit some bias here, since this is spell that I really like because it has saved my skin some time ago. I'll still make a case for it, because biased or not, I think it's a really good pick for this build. So I am throwing all of its (not at all insignificant) situational value aside for a moment. This is the spell to use (ideally to have already used, since the duration allows for it), when you catch something very deadly and very mobile (in the traditional sense, so no teleportation or incoporeal movement) in your web (could be more than one thing of course). If you want to give it other options than trying to break free, you go in there (webs cannot hinder you) and you give them a target (you will be attacked at disadvantage cause they will be restrained and you are not, and similarly you'll be attacking with advantage). Or better yet, you could stay at a distance and spam chill touch or maybe ray of frost to hinder their movement even further should they be thinking to escape (change infestation to a ranged cantrip; your other cantrip choices seem fine), and let your FoM buffed melee specialist ally (something like a GWM fighter, or even better yet a swashbuckler rogue who can also hide in the webs with their bonus action if you've got one such ally) charge ahead, gather enemies around them, and then you cast your web on top of them all (and your ally is unscathed because you buffed them with FoM). After that your ally can take a step back (unless they want to chance it; so eg a rogue with evasion) for you to even drop a vitriolic sphere if necessary, and then back in they go again. So on paper it has the abilty to enable more effective battlefield control and to give you some more options while going about it. And even for that I would pick it. But honestly. It's all about its situational value for me, which can really come into play when the terrain or the tactical situation are challenging.

For high level spell picks, heal and mass suggestion are hard to pass. Though you might have to choose between them, as between (one of) them and spells that can upcast well (armor of agathys, and certain debuffs that you might end up having, like banishment or hold monster), your high level slots (5+) will have enough pressure already. But if you get there, by that time you'll know well at what kind of resource management you are looking at for your campaign. So I m just mentioning what I think are the best candidates for that level.

Death ward is a spell that too many people swear by it, and yes, it's a very decent spell. But personally I would only pick it if I had room after I picked most of the options I mentioned above.

One last thing. With spells like aid and aura of vitality in play, and potentially even freedom of movement or death ward (though the first two are what I am looking at for what I am about to propose), I'd look to extended spell as a later metamagic pick (definitelly after quickened and careful; I would drop twinned). Double the out of combat healing (from an average of 35 to an average of 70 IIRC) with an extended aura of vitality, and the potential to turn unused slots of the previous day into resources for the next with extended aid. Though make sure nothing nasty will surprise you during your long rest!

As for some small details. Lesser restoration and magic weapon (at least until your main weapon dpr finds a magic weapon) are good spells to keep prepared in your paladin list. I'd drop CON by 2 points so that I could have 4 points to spend on DEX and/or WIS. Important checks (initiative included) and saves are tied to these two scores, enough for me to want 4 points going into these than 2 points going into CON.

ps: Confusion is a good spell to think about too, especially if you are doing an adventure where many enemies will have condition resistances or even worse, immunities. Like immunty to being restrained or frightened. Spirit guardians and bless are of couse always applicable, but they cannot always be the best options. And since you already have the careful spell metamagic (and rightly so, since you want that fear spell of yours not to affect your allies), you could look at the confusion spell which has an untyped effect with more upfront value than either bless or spirit guardians. Just something to think about.
    Last edited by Corran; 2021-02-16 at 02:45 AM.
    Hacks!

24. - Top - End - #1224
    Barbarian in the Playground

Was Barbarian 2 or Rogue 2 ever considered for smite crit fishing?

25. - Top - End - #1225

I'm struggling to understand how a S&B build can deal with material components.

Even with War caster, you need a free hand to manipulate an arcane focus or component pouch in order to cast sorcerer spells (your paladin holy symbol can be on your shield). The ruby of the war mage (Tahsa) seems a patch for this problem but the guide was written before it came out, so I'm assuming I'm missing something.
    Knowledge, logic, reason, and common sense serve better than a dozen rule books.
    E. G. Gygax

Lawful member of the Hinjo fanclub
    Treegrappler of the Durkon fanclub

26. - Top - End - #1226
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Rad View Post

Even with War caster, you need a free hand to manipulate an arcane focus or component pouch in order to cast sorcerer spells (your paladin holy symbol can be on your shield). The ruby of the war mage (Tahsa) seems a patch for this problem but the guide was written before it came out, so I'm assuming I'm missing something.
    The Ruby was an XGtE item

27. - Top - End - #1227
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Its actually a bit easier then you might think, and it comes down to action economy. A Soradin's most commonly cast spells don't actually have Material Components, just Verbal and Somatic. Booming Blade and Green Flame Blade are the exception, but their Material component calls out the weapon being used to make the attack, so they're a bit special. Outside of that, you usually won't have your weapon drawn when you're busy serving as the spell caster. That gives you a free hand to access Components.

Another way to do it is by drawing/sheathing your weapon. Since sheathing a weapon is a free action, you can technically put it away, which gives you a free hand to access spell components in order to cast a spell. You can then draw your weapon on the next turn as part of your attack action.
    Never let the fluff of a class define the personality of a character. Let Clerics be Atheist, let Barbarians be cowardly or calm, let Druids hate nature, and let Wizards know nothing about the arcane

Fun Fact: A monk in armor loses Martial Arts, Unarmored Defense, and Unarmored Movement, but keep all of their other abilities, including subclass features, and Stunning Strike works with melee weapon attacks. Make a Monk in Fullplate with a Greatsword >=D

28. - Top - End - #1228
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Spells you cast with a reaction typically doesn’t have material components so with warcaster you’re usually golden with a sorcadin. If you want to cast a big spell on your turn you’re probably not attacking anyway so no biggie to sheath weapon and cast then next turn draw it again.

29. - Top - End - #1229
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

I'm playing in a campaign where our DM let us roll stats, and managed to get 16 15 14 14 14 10. So I'm playing a Dex-based Aasimar (protector) Sorcadin, taking advantage of Tasha's stat flexibility to racial bonuses.

Str: 14
    Dex: 18
    Con: 14
    Int: 10
    Wis: 14
    Cha: 16

The party has no other tank but has quite a bit of other arcane power, so I'm going Pal 1, then Sorc 1, then Paladin to level 6. Ultimately headed for Pal 6 / Sorc 14, probably.

Currently Level 3, so Pal 2 / Sorc 1. Went with Duelist fighting style rather than Protector since I don't want more demands on my reaction, which will likely be used to cast Shield / Absorb Elements in the long run. Sorcerer is Draconic bloodline -- I'm trying Bronze Dragon (lightning) even though a fire-based heritage is more "normal", as I'm thinking to pick up (quickened) Lightning Lure down the road as a way to pull the bad guys off of my squishy casters and stick them to me. I believe this also rates to have some fun applications if I'm flying, though we'll see how the DM handles that. :)

The build is already quite effective as both a tank and DPS. AC is already tanky with just a shield. (13 draconic + 4 dex +2 shield = 19). For DPS, smiting undead with a rapier does 4d8 (1d8 rapier + 3d8 smite) +9 (4 dex +2 duelist +3 protector aasimar) = 27 average damage per hit, plus 3-4 for the Green Flame Blade / Booming Blade rider. 1d8 less for non-undead. Not bad for level 3.

Have not picked a Paladin oath yet, but likely going Crown or Devotion. Crown looks tankier, but equipment is scarce and the campaign looks to be a bit undead-focused, so Devotion is tempting for the Channel Divinity that temporarily makes one's weapon magical, as well as the Turn Undead.

Definitely taking Warcaster at Paladin 4 in order to be able to cast Shield/Absorb Elements with my hands full, and to use Booming Blade on opp attacks. Probably taking +2 Dex as my next ASI after that, though that won't be until Sorc 4 at Level 10 which is about where this campaign is expected to end.

Will chime in here now and then with comments on how it plays.
    Last edited by 4sigma; 2021-04-26 at 04:49 AM.

30. - Top - End - #1230

RedKnightGirl

Quote Originally Posted by 4sigma View Post
    I'm playing in a campaign where our DM let us roll stats, and managed to get 16 15 14 14 14 10. So I'm playing a Dex-based Aasimar (protector) Sorcadin, taking advantage of Tasha's stat flexibility to racial bonuses.

Str: 14
    Dex: 18
    Con: 14
    Int: 10
    Wis: 14
    Cha: 16

The party has no other tank but has quite a bit of other arcane power, so I'm going Pal 1, then Sorc 1, then Paladin to level 6. Ultimately headed for Pal 6 / Sorc 14, probably.

Currently Level 3, so Pal 2 / Sorc 1. Went with Duelist fighting style rather than Protector since I don't want more demands on my reaction, which will likely be used to cast Shield / Absorb Elements in the long run. Sorcerer is Draconic bloodline -- I'm trying Bronze Dragon (lightning) even though a fire-based heritage is more "normal", as I'm thinking to pick up (quickened) Lightning Lure down the road as a way to pull the bad guys off of my squishy casters and stick them to me. I believe this also rates to have some fun applications if I'm flying, though we'll see how the DM handles that. :)

The build is already quite effective as both a tank and DPS. AC is already tanky with just a shield. (13 draconic + 4 dex +2 shield = 19). For DPS, smiting undead with a rapier does 4d8 (1d8 rapier + 3d8 smite) +9 (4 dex +2 duelist +3 protector aasimar) = 27 average damage per hit, plus 3-4 for the Green Flame Blade / Booming Blade rider. 1d8 less for non-undead. Not bad for level 3.

Have not picked a Paladin oath yet, but likely going Crown or Devotion. Crown looks tankier, but equipment is scarce and the campaign looks to be a bit undead-focused, so Devotion is tempting for the Channel Divinity that temporarily makes one's weapon magical, as well as the Turn Undead.

Definitely taking Warcaster at Paladin 4 in order to be able to cast Shield/Absorb Elements with my hands full, and to use Booming Blade on opp attacks. Probably taking +2 Dex as my next ASI after that, though that won't be until Sorc 4 at Level 10 which is about where this campaign is expected to end.

Will chime in here now and then with comments on how it plays.
    I've got a Crown 6 / Gold Draconic 9 but I dumped DEX (I even did your same 1P / 1 S/ 5 P/ Sorc+ pathing). The biggest issues (and really only) I've found is that I'm generally last in the initiative order (+1), and it's basically the one roll I found I wish I was hitting more consistently; and my sort of lack of range. I started off with Javelins, and could easily use a bow or gun, but I've never found it necessary enough to fix.

I've never used Warding Bond due to not having the materials for it, but Champion Challenge, Turn the Tide, Zone of Truth, and Command have all seen some play. I hit 20 AC really early (and tacitly was encouraged by the DM to not arms raise it for awhile because he had such a hard time finding something that actually could hit me without breaking the combats for the others). Warcaster has been fantastic and crits are absolutely ridiculous: going full nova on a hit means you can easily hit 100+ damage on a single hit. It's enough to one-shot or bring down to finishing range from full on most targets,

Most commonly cast spells have been Mold Earth, Booming Blade, Shield of Faith, Cure Wounds, Shield, Absorb Elements, Find Steed, and Haste.
    Most clutch spells have been Hold Person / Monster, Bless, and Misty Step.

I would in hindsight have dropped Lightning Lure for Fire Bolt for consistency, but Lightning Lure is very fun when it matters.

My best advice is to ration your spell slots very carefully early on. Sorcery Point / Slot manipulation comes on very late and doesn't really let you replenish. Burning a spell slot for anything is the "Make a Play" button: Pop back up a teammate from death saves, delete an enemy, stall the enemy for three turns, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by DarknessEternal View Post
    Was Barbarian 2 or Rogue 2 ever considered for smite crit fishing?
    I would say no: Pal 6 / Sorc 14 already feels just a little slow on its casting progression that you don't want to delay it more, and Rogue 2 for a resourceless 2d6 on most crits doesn't sound good enough to warrant slogging more. If you get the choice to gestalt, then go ham, but I don't feel like Rogue's early perks mesh well mechanically or flavorfully with this build. Barbarian also has some antisynergy with unarmored.

You could, but I don't recommend either.
    Last edited by Ghost Nappa; 2021-04-26 at 10:31 PM.