New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 18 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Zodi Plays: Fire Emblem Path of Radiance (Fighting for friends, etc etc)

You voted on it, and you got it, my friends. It's time to play Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance. In the country of Tellius, a simple mercenary band goes about it's business, training the newer recruits (including the leader's son, Ike) and doing missions. Slaying bandits, rescuing kittens from trees, the usual for hired hands. But soon, their world will change. Drama, intrigue, violence and death at every corner. The game starts at a relatively peaceful state, but as you who are familiar with tactics games like this, peace rarely stays for long...

As is always the case, no discussing spoilers, even if you're REALLY tempted to. Have fun and contribute though, because as ever the person who gets involved the most gets a shiny trinket forcibly shoved into their inventory. That could be you! I'll be talking about mechanics PRETTY heavily in this series, given that it's a gigantic war battle simulator at the end of the day, mashing numbers against numbers to make other numbers. I'll also be talking about things, as I tend to do. Feel free to, as we get more units, recommend I use certain guys. It'll be helpful, to a degree. I can't promise I'll be able to use everyone that people want, but I'll do my best to give everyone some lime light. So without further circumstance, let us begin our path of radiance.

Zodi Plays: Fire Emblem Path of Radiance [1] Simple Beginnings

Video Length: 15:57

And so our story begins. The youth Ike has a training battle against his...arguably fourth best friend Boyd, and then his dad Griel. A young, simple start to the future hero. Ah, but that is for later. For now let's just embrace the fact that this glorified tutorial teaches us how to play the game fairly effectively. You move around, you target enemies with attacks, you look at numbers, you bash people in the face with a giant sword. It's all good. We get some interesting flashbacks from the concussed Ike as he dreams of his Mom, and we see his sister Mist humming the same song. Cute! We see that Boyd's a very self confident axeboy, and that Griel could probably bench press a tree.

And really that's all the story component is for this video. So it's time to dive into deep maths.

------
    Spoiler: Getting basic math out of the way
    Show

So! Let's talk about math in Fire Emblem. Aside from the actual formula's, which are themselves fairly simply to understand, all the number are right there in front of your face for you to look at. Let's go over the stats and what they all do, then look at some math!

HP is right what it says on the tin. It's your health. If it runs out you dead, and in this game that means you're dead forever. Only very few NPCs get the honour of being "too wounded to continue fighting". Don't get dead.

Str is your strength, your ability to deal damage with physical weapons, and your ability to carry heavy weapons without being slowed down like a loser.

Mag is your magic, your ability to blow people up with magical weapons and magic tomes and stuff. Nerdstat for nerds, makes all sorts of brain based things better.

Skl is your skill! All that power in your arms isn't going to help you if you can't hit for damn. This basically governs accuracy with weapons.

Spd is your speed, how fast you move and junk. It factors into how you avoid getting hurt, and how many times you can bop someone in the face.

Lck is your luck. The game says it affects everything, because at the end of the day the game's a gigantic Random Number Generator and while you can influence it sometimes you just get your face punched in. Luck determines how often your crit, and how often you avoid getting crit in return.

Def is your defense. If you're not fast you can just eat punches to the face. It reduces damage you take and there's no minimum damage in this game so try your best to become invincible for me.

Res is your resistance. Magical defense, nothing much else to say on this? It's exactly what you'd expect at this point.

Those are the main base stats. There are others, but they're less important. Still a TYPE of important, but like, not SPECIAL. Mov is your movement, how many tiles you can move a turn. Wt is your weight, and it determines who you can and cannot rescue (pick up on your back) or be rescued BY. Pretty nice.

Now, all those numbers above can be combined into the following numbers down here, to figure out how combat is gonna go. Let's take a look at em.

Atk is your attack strength. It's your Strength plus the Might of your weapon. That's it! When attacking someone, you subtract your attack from their defense. Simple as that. There's more to it but more on that next time.

Hit is your hit rate, which determines how accurate you are. It's your weapons Hit rate plus your skill times two, then added Luck. It's reduced by avoid, which I'll describe below. If your hit rate is above 100 you hit them, great! If it's not you eat two rolls of the RNG and average them and that determines if you hit or not. Math.

Avo is their avoid, and it's how good you are at the whole not getting hit thing, math wise. It's attack speed (again, more on that below) times two, then adding in Luck. It takes away from the enemy hit rate in combat, obviously.

Crit is your crit rate, how likely you are to shred an enemy to pieces. Crit's are nasty and powerful, dealing 3 times the regular damage you'd actually do. It's your weapon's natural crit rate, plus your skill divided in half. Crits are dangerous business yo!

Dgd is your dodge, which lets you avoid critical hits. It's just straight your luck stat. Hope you brought your loaded dice.

AS is your attack speed, and it's how fast you can swing your stick or throw your book at someone. It's your speed minus your weapon weight minus your strength, and if the result is negative you just take it as a zero. If your attack speed is four above your opponents you get to hit twice with your weapon.

*deep breath* and that's all the complicated math out of the way. Using those simple formula's and highly visible math, you can easily figure out how, generally, combat is going to go. Those of you who know me well should realize why this means I'm probably gonna get my butt handed to me! There's more additional stuff to add to these maths but I'll detail those later. For now let's talk about, briefly, the dumb thing this game and it's sequel game does that doesn't matter and no one liked.

Biorhythm! Everyone has a random chart of how good they fell, and when it's at the top half of it they get a unstated +5 to their hit rate and avoid rate, and when it's at the bottom half they get -5 to hit and avoid. This is silly and no one likes it. When you beat a chapter everyone's biorhythm moves forward exactly 7 tics on the sin wave, and every ten fights a person gets into (by which we mean "engages an enemy in combat where he swings a weapon at someone, or gets a weapon swung at him) it'll advance by one tic.

Another thing to talk about mechanically: Skills! Skills are neat and I'll go more indepth into them once I can play around with them. For now we have Boyd's Tempest, which doubles the effect of Biorhythm, thus meaning Boyd can be REALLY good or REALLY bad depending on if he ate his cereal this morning. Griel's skill is "literally trying not to kill you" and I love it, and it's one of the reasons I love this game. I'll talk about that below.

------

So, let's talk about that thing I mentioned at the end of my 2 in the morning written math lesson! Griel has a skill that reads, essentially, "I'm trying to be as weak as possible so you don't die like a chump". Looking at his stats we can tell that they are literally designed to allow Ike to win the fight if he uses the healing item once. Now, he's level 1, but those of you who are clever may notice that he clearly can't be level one, there's no way. This s because he's a "pre-promote". More on that next time. But the importance of this is that, in this game, the mechanical "stuff" of a person actually directly relates to their flavor "stuff". Griel is trying not to slice his son in two, he literally has a skill on that makes him weak enough to avoid doing so. They never had to do this, they didn't have to basically justify the stats to the story, and for some things they don't (Boyd here doesn't have the same stats he has in your army) but for the things they DO, it's really cool.

With that said, I'll leave you to look at the math, to yell at me for being bad at it, and to in general enjoy the video. I hope you do, and I hope to see you all again next time, when we get our first job as a mercenary.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Zodi Plays: Fire Emblem Path of Radiance (Fighting for friends, etc etc)

Darn you, Zodi! I was just about to go to bed after binge rewatching some of Super Mario Sunshine.

Anyway, let's get some charting to go with that new thread smell!

Unit Class First Ep Last Ep Dmg Dealt Dmg Taken # Defeated Tally
    Ike Ranger 1 -- 40 20 2
    Spoiler
    Show
    Boyd (Fighter, Tutorial)
    Greil (Hero, Tutorial)

Episode Turns Taken
    1 11
    Total 11

I'll probably have more to say when I'm actually awake. But... I'm a little worried about how expansive this might get...

Oh, and: What's your win rate for Magic the Gathering?
    Last edited by DataNinja; 2016-10-07 at 10:15 AM.
    The stars predict tomorrow you'll wake up, do a bunch of stuff, and then go back to sleep.~ That's your horoscope for today.

3. - Top - End - #3

Default Re: Zodi Plays: Fire Emblem Path of Radiance (Fighting for friends, etc etc)

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Shadow View Post
    Darn you, Zodi! I was just about to go to bed after binge rewatching some of Super Mario Sunshine.

Anyway, let's get some charting to go with that new thread smell!

Unit First Ep Last Ep Dmg Dealt Dmg Taken # Defeated Tally
    Ike 1 -- 40 20 2
    Spoiler
    Show
    Boyd
    Greil

Episode Turns Taken
    1 11
    Total 11

I'll probably have more to say when I'm actually awake. But... I'm a little worried about how expansive this might get...

Oh, and: What's your win rate for Magic the Gathering?
    Interesting idea about counting the damage inflicted and taken, I like that. I'd like to note that you shouldn't count Boyd and Greil here since, obviously, they don't die. Also, don't forget to note what their class is, cause I'm actually pretty curious about that! Sorry if that seems like an unreasonable request

Also while it's cool, the game does actually note how many turns you take on each map and says as such at the end of the game, so you don't have to do that one

I'm glad you've been enjoying Super Mario Sunshine by the way. I think it's one of my better LPs in terms of sheer entertainment value. As for that...clever bit of strikethroughed text, let's just say that it's probably around the 10% to 70% range, depending on who I'm up against

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

I am a giant enough FE nerd that Zodi's been showing me the videos in advance, so here, I don't have much to say but that I like that they gave Boyd extra lines for if you try to bait him out.

You under (and over)-sell Luck. It doesn't actually effect the crit percent chance. It only effects your critical avoid, accuracy, and avoid. Which... Makes it the worst stat, really. Nothing less lucky than a level with only luck.
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Moemon Leafgreen (Complete)
    Long Live the Queen (Complete)
    Harvest Moon 64 (Complete)

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)
    Fire Emblem: Thracia 776 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

Quote Originally Posted by Herpestidae View Post
    I... wow. I feel like I'm in the presence of royalty. The LP Goddess herself has graced this thread with her presence. I just... what...

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    I'd like to note that you shouldn't count Boyd and Greil here since, obviously, they don't die.
    Note I put "Defeated" rather than "Killed".
    I did note that they're from the Tutorial, now, though. Don't take these victories from Ike!

Also, don't forget to note what their class is, cause I'm actually pretty curious about that! Sorry if that seems like an unreasonable request
    ...I actually had that in, before. And then I removed it. Because I figured it was extraneous.

Also while it's cool, the game does actually note how many turns you take on each map and says as such at the end of the game, so you don't have to do that one
    Oh. Oops. Well, cool.
    Last edited by DataNinja; 2016-10-07 at 10:03 AM.
    The stars predict tomorrow you'll wake up, do a bunch of stuff, and then go back to sleep.~ That's your horoscope for today.

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by Deme View Post
    I am a giant enough FE nerd that Zodi's been showing me the videos in advance, so here, I don't have much to say but that I like that they gave Boyd extra lines for if you try to bait him out.

You under (and over)-sell Luck. It doesn't actually effect the crit percent chance. It only effects your critical avoid, accuracy, and avoid. Which... Makes it the worst stat, really. Nothing less lucky than a level with only luck.
    Deme here is one of my powerful friends who will be low key assisting me in making sure I don't actually make the game unwinnable! She's very strong.

Note I put "Defeated" rather than "Killed".
    I did note that they're from the Tutorial, now, though.

...I actually had that in, before. And then I removed it. Because I figured it was extraneous.

Oh. Oops. Well, cool.
    Aaah, I see. And nope, not extraneous, it's actually the part I'm most interested in since the game keeps track of your total kills, I want to see how it's divided. How many soldiers, fighters, and bandits did Ike break open? It's something that interests me!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

And nope, not extraneous, it's actually the part I'm most interested in since the game keeps track of your total kills, I want to see how it's divided. How many soldiers, fighters, and bandits did Ike break open? It's something that interests me!
    Uh, yes...

Yes, that's absolutely what I thought you meant, and not the class of the player character itself. Totally 100%.

I AM GOOD AT CHARTS!
    Last edited by DataNinja; 2016-10-07 at 10:18 AM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Finally figured out something useful I can contribute. Level up stats are semi random, so I may put together a chart comparing each character's stats to their average for their level. That way you can tell if you have a 'good' Ike or not. I could spoiler a large chart or link to a Google spreadsheet. The latter would let me do some nifty stuff such as highlight stats that are above or below the common average for that character depending on where we set the threshold.

Sound intetesting?

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

Comparing to averages is always super fun, so I'd be interested in seeing that. I'd probably want to look it up at a few points myself.
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

I... wow. I feel like I'm in the presence of royalty. The LP Goddess herself has graced this thread with her presence. I just... what...

10. - Top - End - #10

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomFox View Post
    Finally figured out something useful I can contribute. Level up stats are semi random, so I may put together a chart comparing each character's stats to their average for their level. That way you can tell if you have a 'good' Ike or not. I could spoiler a large chart or link to a Google spreadsheet. The latter would let me do some nifty stuff such as highlight stats that are above or below the common average for that character depending on where we set the threshold.

Sound intetesting?
    Hell yeah that'd actually be REALLY helpful too. Do the google docs idea.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

So, you have your classic JRPG/TBS opening where you have the Plucky Hero sparring against his Instructor, when a women comes in and distracts them. And hey, if you didn't want to get curb-stomped in front of the only female character on-screen to date (other than apparently your mother in a dream sequence), then you shouldn't have tried a dishonorable attack. Then again, considering you are a merc, dishonorable attacks are probably going to end up your schtick, so... keep practicing!

Resisting the urge to make a 'losing is for the Boyd' pun... and apparently failing miserably.

This is a game that actually rewards crunching numbers. Like, seriously. However, it can simply be played as a casual JRP/TBS (Japanese Roleplaying Turn-Based Strategy... a term I just coined because it fits this series better than any other label I've heard of) if you like.

Some things of note:

Your crit chance has very little you can actively do to affect it (other than just building Skill, which is always a good thing), so other than certain weapons which carry a bonus to crit, it is almost impossible to build a 'crit-fisher'.

Your Attack Speed has your Strength SUBTRACTED from it. So yes, the stronger you are, the slower you are. Literally. So either you can get in a BIG hit, or you can get in two decent hits. Also note that the weapon weight is negatively factored in as well. Don't expect axe-wielders to be getting in multiple hits. Also note that you need your Attack Speed at least FOUR higher than your opponent's to get that second attack in. And the reverse is also true. You can't just dump AS unless you don't mind your character getting hit twice frequently. Mind you, for someone clanking around with an obscene DEF, this isn't necessarily a problem. A character with high STR, low SPD, extremely high DEF is a very viable tank build, particularly if you equip a big heavy weapon that deals a lot of damage and can take maximum advantage of the STR stat. His mobility won't actually be all that bad with a high enough Str to lug all that gear around, and he can soak up hits pretty good.

The alternative is a 'fencer' style striker, with lightweight equipment, lower Str, but higher SPD and a fast weapon. He's more likely to get in multiple hits, and probably has a decent Avoid as well, making him harder to flat out hit. Keep in mind that this goes in the reverse as well. Opponents with a high Attack Speed are harder for your big klunky tank to hit. But when he does... it's gonna hurt. Death of a thousand cuts versus hulk smash. Actually, this is the biggest advantage of the 'fencer' style build. Since you get two chances to hit, odds are pretty good (unless you picked the wrong fight) of getting at least one landing. Remember, the RNG machine takes two rolls, and averages them out, to figure out if you actually hit or not, so this reduces lucky hits and lucky misses respectively, bringing combat closer to the 'bell curve peak'. So if your high speed character has high skill, odds are at least one hit is going to land. Now, if it is actually going to hurt is another matter, depending on what your opponent's DEF is versus the likely lower ATK the fencer has. It also means that the Fencer's bad day comes when he runs into a high DEF opponent, because the armor effectively is doubled value. He might hit twice... for almost no damage whatsoever. You're gonna need a tank with a heavy weapon to act as a can opener. Or go lateral with an alternate skill (i.e. Magic).

Fencers are absolutely brutal against casters and other lightly armored enemies (like Archers, iirc). Fencer vs Fencer tends to be a bloody affair, with whomever strikes first generally striking last. Fencer vs Tank is up to how much the Fencer is able to affect the Tank versus how likely the Tank is to land his hit on the Fencer. Unless you picked the wrong fight, this tends to weigh in favor of the Tank.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Underlord View Post
    All hail great Shneekeythulhu! Ia Ia Shneeky fthagn
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quite possibly, the best rebuttal I have ever witnessed.
    Joker Bard - the DM's solution to the Batman Wizard.
    Takahashi no Onisan - The scariest Samurai alive
    Incarnum and YOU: a reference guide
    Soulmelds, by class and slot: Another Incarnum reference
    Multiclassing for Newbies: A reference guide for the rest of us

My homebrew world in progress: Falcora

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

On 01:
    I know, I've tried playing two Fire Emblem handheld games, and both times, never beaten them. I got far on the.....watchamacallit.... Fire Emblem Sacred Stones one? but thats only because every time I made a mistake and got one of my troops killed, I would stop and reload until I do the entire battle without losing a single person, which allowed me to eventually get some form of strategy going. I like strategy yeah and figuring out how to do that though.

and even then, I like dislike some parts about the games like how weapons have a limited amount of uses, I guess to give the game a "resource management" aspect? But really it just feels annoying since that just means I always end up using and buying only Iron weapons because they have the most uses, even though STEEL weapons that have less, should have MORE uses since Steel is harder and more DURABLE than iron, so they just make the game make less sense. and of course, you can't use these the legendary super-weapons because they are irreplaceable and have only three or so uses before they break, so you just end up never using them. no one ever considered a super-fragile weapon that can deal far more damage than the reliable one more higher quality than the reliable one.

I mean I can understand the character death since its war, but the attempt at resource managing weaponry in them is just bad. To make it worse you still have to grind up your troops so that they will be good enough to win against later bosses and armies, which means using more of your weapon uses. so its combining a bad resource management system with the worst part of RPG leveling systems.

I mean don't get me wrong, I like the actual battling, I can do turn-by-turn or RTS and have fun, and I like the stories of Fire Emblem, but it has their faults and I don't think I'll ever be able to actually beat them because of some of the more frustrating aspects of it. Granted, the one time I played advance wars I couldn't beat that either, I'm kind of better at RTS's like Age of Empires 3.

Wow, Ike got beat bad. Far cry from his badassery in SSBB.

UUuuuuuuuuuh........Ike? Getting a little Oedipal there, aren't we?

Wait Mist is his sister and NOT his girlfriend? oh. that makes more sense.

and yeah, this RPG has the same problem with weapons having limited uses. sigh.
    Last edited by Lord Raziere; 2016-10-07 at 02:35 PM.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ShneekeyTheLost View Post
    Your Attack Speed has your Strength SUBTRACTED from it. So yes, the stronger you are, the slower you are. Literally
    That is 100% untrue. The formula for attack speed is:

Speed (Weapon Weight Strength, take as 0 if negative)

Or, to put it another way, it's not Speed - WW - Strength. The strength effectively adds to your speed up to a point by reducing the impact of weapon weight until that impact becomes 0, so a character with insufficient strength is going to have problems doubling, not the other way around. This, I should add, is in contrast to earlier versions of the series, where weapon weight is mitigated by a set, unimprovable (except Thracia 776) stat, Build or Constitution, and the later games, where Weight doesn't exist.

Likewise, it's not really possible to "build" anything except for certain skill combinations. For the most part, your characters have their basic natures predetermined by their growths and bases, and built by luck. Rather than building, what you're doing is making investments and choices, and seeing how those play out as time goes on.
    Last edited by Deme; 2016-10-07 at 03:03 PM.
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

14. - Top - End - #14

And I'm not enough of an FE nerd to get videos in advance!
    One day, we must all have our characters butchered by romhacks face our ends.

Won as Good Mayans on a science victory GMR 4. Won as Sweden on a science victory GMR 7. Won as Desert England on a concession victory GMR 8 Lost as Poland in GMR 3. Lost as Japan in GMR 5, Surrendered as Korea in GMR 10. Surrendered as Bad Maya in GMR 11, Lost as Shoshone in GMR 13.

15. - Top - End - #15

Quote Originally Posted by Illven View Post
    And I'm not enough of an FE nerd to get videos in advance!
    I'm mostly sharing the videos in advance to get a good feel of what I'm doing and how to better do this. Besides, gotta keep SOME people in the dark

(also I feel really bad because I think I know you from Skype related stuff but I'm completely blanking on who you'd be aaaaaaaah)

16. - Top - End - #16

I'm mostly sharing the videos in advance to get a good feel of what I'm doing and how to better do this. Besides, gotta keep SOME people in the dark

(also I feel really bad because I think I know you from Skype related stuff but I'm completely blanking on who you'd be aaaaaaaah)
    Unless you used to play forum emblem, I'm blanking on how I would know you on skype.

Won as Good Mayans on a science victory GMR 4. Won as Sweden on a science victory GMR 7. Won as Desert England on a concession victory GMR 8 Lost as Poland in GMR 3. Lost as Japan in GMR 5, Surrendered as Korea in GMR 10. Surrendered as Bad Maya in GMR 11, Lost as Shoshone in GMR 13.

17. - Top - End - #17

Unless you used to play forum emblem, I'm blanking on how I would know you on skype.
    I have not and am just being self paranoid. Carry on! And I hope you stick around and enjoy the show

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

Besides, gotta keep SOME people in the dark
    Awww...

Not to mention it sounds painful keeping people in me.

19. - Top - End - #19

You want those level ups to continue. What you don't think Speed is a good stat? Ike can get doubled forever as far as you're concerned?

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Okay, Spreadsheet up. Only Ike for now, as I'll add characters as they level up at least once. (That should weed out those you don't plan on using mid-late game). Haven't enabled the colored highlighting, as I'm not sure where to put the threshhold. +/-5 from average? 10% from average? Where do you think it becomes significant?

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Voice feels... flat. Stilted?

Also, love seeing that the first tutorial message is "This is a tutorial. There will be more of these."

Though isn't there supposed to be a character giving them? The redhead, wossname. Definitely in Sacred Stones and Radiant Dawn tutorials, though I haven't played any of the others.
    Last edited by Qwertystop; 2016-10-07 at 09:21 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    Though isn't there supposed to be a character giving them?
    Well the second tutorial box says "Anna, your helpful-hint girl, will explain and demonstrate any new features." So... I suppose?

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Well the second tutorial box says "Anna, your helpful-hint girl, will explain and demonstrate any new features." So... I suppose?
    Oops, blink-and-I-miss-it.

She wasn't there so it doesn't count.
    Last edited by Qwertystop; 2016-10-07 at 09:43 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

24. - Top - End - #24

You want those level ups to continue. What you don't think Speed is a good stat? Ike can get doubled forever as far as you're concerned?
    I'd rather that not happen, but I also want more than five stats every five levels. I'll take what I can get but that doesn't mean I don't want good levels.

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomFox View Post
    Okay, Spreadsheet up. Only Ike for now, as I'll add characters as they level up at least once. (That should weed out those you don't plan on using mid-late game). Haven't enabled the colored highlighting, as I'm not sure where to put the threshhold. +/-5 from average? 10% from average? Where do you think it becomes significant?
    Nice. I literally don't know ask someone who's good at Fire Emblem like Deme what would be a significant number above/below average.

Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    Voice feels... flat. Stilted?

Also, love seeing that the first tutorial message is "This is a tutorial. There will be more of these."

Though isn't there supposed to be a character giving them? The redhead, wossname. Definitely in Sacred Stones and Radiant Dawn tutorials, though I haven't played any of the others.
    There are like...4 voiced cutscenes in the game. They didn't devout much effort to that part of the budget. Greil's is okay but Mist's is definitely "QUALITY" acting.

Those pop ups are the standard tutorials. Anna shows up on the indepth tutorials. I'll be showing those off LATER, but NOT next time for an important reason, that is VERY silly.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

I'd say 3-4 points above/below average. Especially at low levels 10% can just get silly, as can % in general. For example, Ike's Def and Res are both >10% above avg just from a single 40% chance level up, and Mag is 20% below average, due to not getting a 20% chance, since his base Mag is so low.

Am I reading correctly his Luck is 6 when base is 7?

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

I think that's the game ordering the stats differently than my reference guide. It'll get fixed.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ShneekeyTheLost View Post
    Your Attack Speed has your Strength SUBTRACTED from it. So yes, the stronger you are, the slower you are. Literally. So either you can get in a BIG hit, or you can get in two decent hits. Also note that the weapon weight is negatively factored in as well. Don't expect axe-wielders to be getting in multiple hits. Also note that you need your Attack Speed at least FOUR higher than your opponent's to get that second attack in. And the reverse is also true. You can't just dump AS unless you don't mind your character getting hit twice frequently. Mind you, for someone clanking around with an obscene DEF, this isn't necessarily a problem. A character with high STR, low SPD, extremely high DEF is a very viable tank build, particularly if you equip a big heavy weapon that deals a lot of damage and can take maximum advantage of the STR stat. His mobility won't actually be all that bad with a high enough Str to lug all that gear around, and he can soak up hits pretty good.

The alternative is a 'fencer' style striker, with lightweight equipment, lower Str, but higher SPD and a fast weapon. He's more likely to get in multiple hits, and probably has a decent Avoid as well, making him harder to flat out hit. Keep in mind that this goes in the reverse as well. Opponents with a high Attack Speed are harder for your big klunky tank to hit. But when he does... it's gonna hurt. Death of a thousand cuts versus hulk smash. Actually, this is the biggest advantage of the 'fencer' style build. Since you get two chances to hit, odds are pretty good (unless you picked the wrong fight) of getting at least one landing. Remember, the RNG machine takes two rolls, and averages them out, to figure out if you actually hit or not, so this reduces lucky hits and lucky misses respectively, bringing combat closer to the 'bell curve peak'. So if your high speed character has high skill, odds are at least one hit is going to land. Now, if it is actually going to hurt is another matter, depending on what your opponent's DEF is versus the likely lower ATK the fencer has. It also means that the Fencer's bad day comes when he runs into a high DEF opponent, because the armor effectively is doubled value. He might hit twice... for almost no damage whatsoever. You're gonna need a tank with a heavy weapon to act as a can opener. Or go lateral with an alternate skill (i.e. Magic).

Fencers are absolutely brutal against casters and other lightly armored enemies (like Archers, iirc). Fencer vs Fencer tends to be a bloody affair, with whomever strikes first generally striking last. Fencer vs Tank is up to how much the Fencer is able to affect the Tank versus how likely the Tank is to land his hit on the Fencer. Unless you picked the wrong fight, this tends to weigh in favor of the Tank.
    This is almost entirely incorrect. STR only helps with speed it never detracts as already pointed out. Furthermore it IS an issue for high defence units, taking spells to the face is not something you want happening twice. In fact SPD is arguably THE most important stats in FE just because how centralizing to the game the doubling mechanic is. The heaviest weapons are also oddly enough not actual weapons but magical tomes, specifically the siege tomes, doubling with siege tomes is just outright beautiful. Mobility is a stat on its own and independent of STR, Astrid can attest to becoming an insane DEF tank while having all of the mobility of a horse rider (which happens more often to people than it probably should, courtesy of Paragon).

There are no more hits based on speed numbers than 2 (outside speed you have 4 counting brave weapons, or 8 if you have adept and brave weapons [which are unique in this game, aka one of each and a very limited number of uses] which everyone including slow and fast units can do and actually benefits slower units more, we will ignore astra because in this game it's not even worth mentioning due to how horrendously bad it is and how mechanically it corresponds to 5 weapon uses less likely than a crit, less damage than a crit and blocks crits from happening during it's activation in a class which has a high crit rate). Also almost certainly (outside a space with null measure) doubling is better than many many levels of str growths, it's just too good and unit viability puts an insane burden on speed alone (the glorious 16 by a certain particular chapter as an example that leaves a really really great unit that you'd love to field out of the level just because getting doubled is TOO bad). You REALLY want to double, and at the very least NEED to not be doubled at anything above normal.

Swordmasters are also extremely viable tank stoppers just based on the fact that their avo tends to be through the roof, and that your units will tend to out-stat enemy units outside of maniac (on maniac you still use them to draw tanks to then bust them with your own mages). Furthermore there's a usual combo on swordmasters and soldiers that involve wrath and resolve which fundamentally just makes them immortal can openers for limited amounts of time (though really scary unless you check your odds at the start of every turn).

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    On 01:
    I know, I've tried playing two Fire Emblem handheld games, and both times, never beaten them. I got far on the.....watchamacallit.... Fire Emblem Sacred Stones one? but thats only because every time I made a mistake and got one of my troops killed, I would stop and reload until I do the entire battle without losing a single person, which allowed me to eventually get some form of strategy going. I like strategy yeah and figuring out how to do that though.

and even then, I like dislike some parts about the games like how weapons have a limited amount of uses, I guess to give the game a "resource management" aspect? But really it just feels annoying since that just means I always end up using and buying only Iron weapons because they have the most uses, even though STEEL weapons that have less, should have MORE uses since Steel is harder and more DURABLE than iron, so they just make the game make less sense. and of course, you can't use these the legendary super-weapons because they are irreplaceable and have only three or so uses before they break, so you just end up never using them. no one ever considered a super-fragile weapon that can deal far more damage than the reliable one more higher quality than the reliable one.

I mean I can understand the character death since its war, but the attempt at resource managing weaponry in them is just bad. To make it worse you still have to grind up your troops so that they will be good enough to win against later bosses and armies, which means using more of your weapon uses. so its combining a bad resource management system with the worst part of RPG leveling systems.

I mean don't get me wrong, I like the actual battling, I can do turn-by-turn or RTS and have fun, and I like the stories of Fire Emblem, but it has their faults and I don't think I'll ever be able to actually beat them because of some of the more frustrating aspects of it. Granted, the one time I played advance wars I couldn't beat that either, I'm kind of better at RTS's like Age of Empires 3.
    In higher difficulties there is no such luxury as not dealing with the finiteness of weapons, and the Fire Emblem difficulties are designed so you replay it in sequentially higher difficulties.

Super Fragile weapons become a need to have at least in standby when your units might or will die unless they can ensure a kill. Of particular note is Path of Radiance Maniac difficulty where there were several REGULAR TROOPS whom you are well advised to just throw all of your brave and unique weapons at because you don't want them to survive enemy face. You don't want some of the abominations that the game throws at you alive at certain ranges, of note anything with a bow to a Marcia/Jill/Tanith without the Full Guard or the plastered around Swordmasters with Killing Edges (of which some missions have SEVERAL in hard and maniac).

Weapon management becomes a realistic tactical concern in those points mainly because you don't want certain weapons to be equipped in enemy phase because they are too valuable or too strong (because killing enemies in enemy phase means someone else can take their spot and attack again) and conversely sometimes you don't want weak weapons on enemy phase because you are relying on vantage (100% activation in PoR) or not getting fully doubled (for some of the less speedy units) or just don't want to waste those uses on weak units.

It's also a balancing factor of the higher tiers of weapons and keeps earlier weapons viable. In Maniac for example, silver having less uses is of particular concern in certain chapters where the troop count and stats means that a fully silver loaded character could just become weaponless halfway through the chapter. It also means brave weapons are not just the legendary weapons you'll use for the rest of the game forever, and that you should carefully think those Ettard (of which there are only two), Armourslayers and whatnot VERY carefully. This obviously applies in much much lesser measure or not at all in lower difficulties.

Path of Radiance has a Fixed Growths mode after you clear it for the first time. But the RNG has a purpose in forcing you to diversify your strategy to account for this variations, occasionally you'll be forced to drop units you personally love due to lacking growths and learn to play without them and find alternate strategies (or just brute force levels into them). In Path of Radiance in particular you are given a supply of units big enough (with continuous infusions of units that are pre-levelled in case you had really bad luck) so that bad levels or death are not a problem. The game will outright give you late game units to prevent a soft-block in normal and hard (in maniac you MIGHT soft-block but if you are playing at this level you probably can figure how to solve the issue in some way). Personally I've had playthroughs were I was forced to do without mages because they just wouldn't be up to par and one or two play throughs were my endgame team ended up including characters that I'd never have used because of how horrendous their growths tend to be that just got blessed. That and sometimes you get a character that shouldn't be even looking at enemies just end up blessed in STR in such a way that it could realistically take down one of the end game bosses if only it could equip a weapon able to damage them.

Weapon durability, permadeath and the level up system are fundamentally the mechanical core of Fire Emblem that sets it apart from other turn and grid based games. That and the traditions like reinforcements on the most awkward horrendous spots ever and the many many cliches in the story and writing that you grow to love and bear through the series.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    Wow, Ike got beat bad. Far cry from his badassery in SSBB.

UUuuuuuuuuuh........Ike? Getting a little Oedipal there, aren't we?

Wait Mist is his sister and NOT his girlfriend? oh. that makes more sense.

and yeah, this RPG has the same problem with weapons having limited uses. sigh.
    Ike in PoR is not SSBB Ike, that's Radiant Dawn Ike. Ike here still has a personality. In fact most of his quotes in SSBB come from his allies in this game rather than himself. He becomes a meme machine in the next one, and also becomes Ike Slayer of Gods and whatnot that we know and love from SSBB. Granted by the end of PoR Ike does come mechanically closer to a monster but that's still a far far way ahead, unless suddenly this became an Ike solo run (which are doable in PoR just because Ike has the growths for that and because this particular game relies on you having to protect squishies as part of its difficulty in several missions, if you only have Ike... they become significantly easier [including a trial map that goes from insanely hard to trivial if you just deploy Ike or Ashnard {trial maps are bonus game mods after you clear the game, this does not imply Ashnard is or not recruitable in the main game}])

Likewise, it's not really possible to "build" anything except for certain skill combinations. For the most part, your characters have their basic natures predetermined by their growths and bases, and built by luck. Rather than building, what you're doing is making investments and choices, and seeing how those play out as time goes on.
    And supports, which can account for a 50 added avoid (Go Go Ike Oscar Tanith) and other interesting combinations. Additionally with the usage of the stat up items and the second play-through bands it's possible to go around trying to fix minor deficiencies. And as a last resort the forge allows you to make certain units far more viable, particularly STR deprived mages and making even more crit machine swordmasters, or in the Japanese version... literally anything a borderline deity.
    Last edited by AsteriskAmp; 2016-10-08 at 06:13 PM.
    The Iron Avatarist Crypt of Fame - Exorcising photobucket from the historic archives of the forum.
    Go and went by many names Ast, Avgvst, Pink-Haired August, araveugnitsuga and nowadays AsteriskAmp.

28. - Top - End - #28

On this fine chilly morning, I present, to you, another Fire Emblem.

Zodi Plays: Fire Emblem Path of Radiance [2] Archetypical Scummy Bandits

Video Length: 17:11

In this video, Ike finally gets sent off on his first job. Joining him are Boyd, who we saw last time, Oscar, who is Boyd's brother and a chevalier (though in the case of this game, that means he's a lance knight) and Titania, a Paladin. Titania's a prepromote like Greil, which means she's already been through 20 levels of being a chevalier (in her case, an axe knight) and has class changed into Paladin. As a result, she's practically invincible at this stage of the game. Her stats dwarf the others in comparision. Which is why we'll be using her as more of a meat shield in these earlier missions than an actual unit. The bandits we're fighting consist of Myrmidons, who are basic sword wielders, axe fighters that are basic axe wielders, and bandits which are more aggressive axe fighters, basically. Pretty good staple of murder targets. Story wise...that's basically it. We get some interesting hints that something might be up with Titania and Greil, but other than that this is very much an episodic "and then our heroes punched bandits in the face" type episode. Ike's first mission: resounding success!

So, let's talk mechanics. This one won't be as lengthy as the last one, don't worry. Chevalier, and all mounted units really, have an unstated ability typically called "Canto" or "Re-Move". With it, they can use any remaining movement tiles to move after doing a thing. Typically this only works when they do non violent things, like Visiting a house (as we learn about today) or trading weapons. The Tellius games (Path of Radiance and it's sequel Radiant Dawn) have it so that a mounted unit can use their remaining movement after ANY action. This is super busted and I'm not used to it so anticipate a lot of me flailing around in the early game. Anticipate a lot of me flailing about in the late game too, I'm not good at these games.

Some commands we learned (and I made use of) are Visit and Rescue. Visiting a house is quite simple, you move to the door and say hi and typically you get something nice like a stat boosting item. If a bandit (as in the class) touches a building, they pillage it and that's bad. A fun little glitch or something in this game, by the way! If you DON'T read the detailed tutorial window on Visiting, Ike gets his inventory filled up with iron swords. Everywhere I've checked has said that that's the closest thing they can narrow it down to, no one really knows why. Rescuing is when a unit gives a piggyback ride to another unit. They've gotta have higher weight though. When rescuing someone you have all your stats cut in half briefly, or thereabouts. Titania could rescue someone and still oneshot basically everyone on this map, if you're curious on how strong she actually is.

Anyway, that's the episode! Ike has succeeded in his first mission! What could be next for the young boy? Well, you'll have to wait until Friday to find out. Hope you enjoyed, I'll see you then.

------

Two additional things before we go for today. On Wednesday I will be uploading a special video. I won't be doing it all the time, just consider it a nice and cool thing.

Secondly, I've got a question for all of you. As you've seen, this game can be pretty lengthy with it's animations in combat and stuff. Later missions can also end up taking like, an hour. So I'm curious: do you folks want me to turn off combat animations? Or would you rather they stay on? Please answer, and give like...suggestions and stuff.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

Man, this is certainly a lot more effort than spiders.
    The hardest part is just remembering which enemy sprite has which Class... So, uh, a word of warning, there is the small, minor, insignificant chance that I miiiiiiight screw something up along the way. (I wish that it wouldn't use the same unit names for the same unit Classes... Ah, well.)

Unit Class First Ep Last Ep Dmg Dealt Dmg Taken Ratio # Defeated Tally
    Ike Ranger 1 -- 95 30 3.17 5
    Spoiler
    Show
    Boyd (Fighter, Tutorial)
    Greil (Hero, Tutorial)
    Zawana (Bandit)
    Myrmidon x1
    Bandit x 1
    Boyd Fighter 2 -- 63 26 2.42 1
    Spoiler
    Show
    Fighter x1
    Oscar Lance Knight 2 -- 56 10 5.60 3
    Spoiler
    Show
    Fighter x1
    Bandit x1
    Bandit x1
    Titania Paladin 2 -- 0 2 -- 0
    Spoiler
    Show
    --

I've also added a Damage Ratio, to see who hits hardest in relation to being hit. A 2 would indicate they've dealt twice as much damage as being dealt, a 0.5 would mean the opposite. I'll probably just go to 2 decimal places. (Seems Oscar's way in the lead this first round.)
    Last edited by DataNinja; 2016-10-10 at 12:09 PM. Reason: Font Shrinking

30. - Top - End - #30
    Firbolg in the Playground

Is it possible to switch combat animations mid fight?

I feel like something along the lines of view animations for a round or two the first time new a character appears would be cool (if only because it seems like combat time uses different models than the overmap), but I agree that with later maps the animations could drag time out a lot with what is basically just filler.

If you turn the animations off, do you still get stuff like the bandit boss taunting you?
    If my text is blue, I'm being sarcastic.But you already knew that, right?