Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Post Anima Beyond Fantasy Thread: Bring out your d10s!

You are probably wondering: Why this thread? It's not like there's an Anima community in these forums. Well, recently Cipher Studios didn't renew their domain, which means the International Anima Forums are down, and they will probably remain down. This probably means a migration of users there to other forums, so this might get used in the near future. And even if the Anima Forums go back online, it's never a bad idea to share a game you like.

What is Anima?
    Anima is product developed by Anima Project Studios, consisting of a tabletop RPG, two non-collectible card games, one miniature skirmish game and two videogames. This thread will be about the RPG.

Who publishes the Anima Beyond Fantasy books?
    Edge Entertainment in Spanish and French, FFG in English. Last time I checked, however, the contract with FFG had expired, and Anima Project Studio was thinking about whether to sign again with FFG or look for a different English publisher (As the general consensus in the International community was that the English translations were quite bad).

Is there a list of Anima Beyond Fantasy books?
    The books are:
    Anima Core Rulebook. The basic rules.
    Core Exxet. Essentially 2nd edition. Most changes are minor, however. Not available in English.
    GM's Toolkit. New rules, sample characters and a sample adventure to give you a taste of the world of Gaļa.
    Dominus Exxet. The book of Ki, Martial Arts and combat. The system it introduces for Martial Arts is vastly superior to the one in Core Exxet and the Core Rulebook, if a little bit more complex, and it is considered the "standard" Martial Arts system in Anima.
    Arcana Exxet. The book of Magic, Summoning and Psychics.
    Prometheum Exxet. The book of Artifacts. Considering that magic items are rare and difficult to find in Anima, is not a must get, but it is really nice. Of note, the translation of this one is terrible as far as I've heard. This book should be used under heavy supervision by the GM.
    Those Who Walked Among Us. The monster book. Includes rules for mass combat. It introduces three new races and two more types of Nephilim.
    Gaia I: Beyond Dreams. The first of the two background books released for Anima. It covers the Old Continent, the history of Gaļa and some myths.
    Gaia II: Beyond the Mirror. This one covers the New Continent, the Interregns and introduces one new race. Not realeased in English yet.

How is Anima Beyond Fantasy as an RPG?
    Anima is all about options and balance. The character creation system is complex, as it gives plenty of options. All classes have their strengths, and all can be extremely powerful if desired. There is no one class that reigns over all others. This, however, makes the game complex. While no more complex than running a game of D&D with all first party books allowed (And there are people who do that for most games), the system has a steep learning curve, and trying to learn it by yourself will probably be difficult.

It's setting is a complex world of Dark Fantasy drawing elements from hundreds of works of fiction (The best description I've heard of Anima is "An RPG made by a nerd for nerds"), and a lot of information is not directly available through the books, but through the forums and their users.

Anima is complex, but not as much as people think it is, and it is incredibly rewarding. People usually compare it to Rolemaster, but truth be told, it works a lot more like d20.

And just who are you?
    Well, I'm known as Blues in the Anima forums (both the Spanish and International ones), and I have been playing the game and being an active member of the forums for 8 years. I'm not THE Anima Loremaster, but I'm kind of one. Anima is a game I love, but most people trying it usually have a hard time learning it, or have doubts with parts of its system or lore. So I wanted to create this to help people like that.

So with all of that said, feel free to ask doubts or discuss the system.

I'm going to reserve the first two posts, as if there are any frequent questions, I might just add a FAQ there.
    Last edited by Khaiel; 2016-10-18 at 03:22 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Re: Anima Beyond Fantasy Thread: Bring out your d10s!

Spoiler: Classes
    Show
    You will see that Perception is rarely mentioned as an important stat. That's because of two things: Builds based around Perception are very specific, and Perception is the one stat that you even though you might not need high, you never want low. Usually Perception lower than 6 is being risky, but higher than 8 is rarely needed.

Spoiler: Warrior
    Show
    The Warrior is the master class at combat. It is, perhaps, the most reliable class at combat. A small analysis shows this.

With their LP progression and some Wear Armour, they are able to withstand a lot of punishment. Their Martial Knowledge is also good enough that they can easily get a couple Ki Techniques at very early levels. They don't have many bonuses to Secondary Skills (Only to Feats of Strength), but the fact that they most likely will have 40% of their DPs free to spend on them means they'll still be somewhat decent.

For the most part, a Warrior is a middle ground between Technician and Weaponmaster. At low levels, a Warrior is usually a bit less powerful than a Weaponmaster, being less resiliant and versatile, but probably having a couple of good Ki Abilities. At high levels, he has less power than a Technician, as whatever techniques or Ars Magnus he has, they are going to be of lower power or shorter length, but once he runs out of Ki, he can still keep fighting at a decent level.

Dextery and Constitution are the most useful stats for a Warrior, with Strength just behind those. Power and Willpower can also be useful to them, both for techniques (They are the most versatile accumulation stats) and for Resistances and Skills (The bonus is quite good, and the skills depending on Willpower are quite useful). Almost any Common Advantage is good for a Warrior. From those that maximize their strengths (Use of Armor, Hard to Kill, Increased Resistances, Natural Armor...), to those that help them with their weaknesses (Fast Reflexes, Natural Learner...), and of course, the miscellaneous ones, like See Supernatural. All in all, Warrior is possibly one of the most versatile classes to build from, since they don't really absolutely need any Advantage.

For the most part, Warriors are very good Mundanes, with the ability to have a decent second side as either Nullificators or Supernaturals.

Spoiler: Acrobatic Warrior
    Show
    Similar to the Warrior, the Acrobatic Warrior has a couple more tricks, but is also a lot less durable.

With less LP and no Wear Armour, Acrobatic Warriors are quite fragile, but also more nimble, and with a cheap Initiative technique, they can be lightning fast and win Initiative almost every turn, and the fact that they use Dodge, which helps a lot when fighting against shooting oponents, is also a good extra. In many ways, they are similar to Warriors when building them, but with more focus in speed.

In the secondary skills department, they are better than Warriors, somewhat making up for their lack of durability. Acrobatics, in particular, can see a lo of use in combat.

Acrobatic Warriors make for very good Mundanes with a strong Supernatural side, as they can easily win initiative and thus use their powers before anyone else can act. While they also have the option of being Nullificators (Through use of Interruption Techniques, mostly), they are not as good in that, as they are probably going to be detected, and once detected, they lack the ability to last enough to use their nullification abilities.

WIP.
    Last edited by Khaiel; 2016-10-27 at 05:20 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Last edited by Khaiel; 2016-11-07 at 11:33 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Oh you are BLUE! I'm superhero from the Cipher studios forum (I usually asked a lot of questions).

I'll try to post whatever information that I managed to save in my notes,

This is a lord of nightmare, Darcia Kalliger, as official as it gets(one of the top 5), answered by Anima Studios:

Quote Originally Posted by AS on Darcia Kalliger
    Darcia Kaliger is the Spirit of The Wake of an archmage that tried to ascend to divinity. At the moment of his death, his reflection mixed with everything he had summoned resulting in his Spirit obtaining aberrant capacities.
    And originally Darcia was a man, but now... who knows.

Dark skin, long black hair. Sometimes, you can't see his face, only his eyes (and if he is quite angry, you see a LOT OF EYES in his black mass). He is currently tied to the hate, wrath, pain and unlimited desire emotions.

1.Physical description? Please, the most complete possible.

A shabby human. Long and oily hair. Imagine as a male version of Sadako (The Ring). Like her, it seems that when walking there are "missing frames".
    Within the darkness of his face (usually hidden in the shadows that make his hair) eyes can be seen. If he gets angry or mad, or uses much power, he shadowens and eyes appear everywhere (in his face).

2. What are it's origins?.

A "madman" who tried to summon a god who was killed in a temple known by us all (this info appears in Gaļa, the temple is called Tel'Haroth). Things did not turn out well, and he died during the ritual, merging with the creatures that he had called.
    Now ... IT is something "different". Although it keeps the profile of Darcia, is actually is a monster created by the union of these things and a tiny fragment of a dead god.

3. How powerful is he? What kind of power does he use? (Class and level are appreciated).

By the way ... his base is of a man (Darcia Kaliger sounds to us as a name of a woman, that's why he's clearing this).
    He uses all the powers of the "things" he had eaten, coming out like shadows deforming his body. Imagine, he hits with a claw and his arm is deformed like the arm of a Lord of Darkness, or extends his arms and faces come out of his chest launching dark discharges from their mouths.
    About levels... we prefer not to talk.
    His power is Medium-high, is almost equivalent to Malekith outside Graven.

4. What is his current goal? What does he plan to achieve it?
    He wants the temple, absorbing the power of the dead god in order to turn himself into that entity. He considers that its presence is spread throughout the whole area, and seeks to reclaim the site as his.
    The problem is that the protections of the terrible place refuse him, after all, were introduced by a Shajad (Abaddon Shajad).

5. What is his relationship with other known characters of Gaļa?.

Uff... Here the list is long. Important ones?
    He met Kagami (see Gaļa), who he has worked with in the past. Things didn't come out very well for him; he feels Kagami only used him. But come on, he would do it again if he could get any benefit.
    He despises Malekith, but mainly because he is bad tempered and it screws him that Malekith plans is turn out better than his.
    He has some "friendship" with Hringram (see Gaļa), although more or less it is because he respects him and one of the things inside Darcia admired the King of Non-Life.
    He hates Seline (see GM's Toolkit or Gaļa) and he considers she's pathetic and a crybaby.
    Has confronted the Nameless (see Gaļa), but managed to escape the fighting as being in inferiority in the real world.
    He tends to be completely away from the political affairs of the world.

6.Something else to keep in mind?

It feeds mainly from hatred and anger.
    Now my opinion: we officially know from the perfect world guide that Malekith is a level 16 Warlock, Gnosis 30 outside of Graven, 40 in Graven and that the Nameless is a level 15 Technician, Gnosis 35. It is probably fair to say that Darcia is a level 15 Warlock ,Gnosis 30 outside of his territory and probably 35 in his domain.
    My interest in what you're talking about is low to moderate - Vork, Knight of Good.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Nice to see you around here.

All Lords of Nightmares are Gnosis 30, with Gnosis 40 on their own domains. For all purposes, it works as the King of Nightmares spell from the Path of Darkness, used in Intermediate Degree. You can check that on Dementia's sheet on Those Who Walked Among Us. He too has his Gnosis listed as 30/40.

If I were to make a Darcia sheet, I'd make him a Warlock, possibly level 13. Considering that Malekith is officially the most powerful Lord of Nightmares out there, I'm guessing that what AS meant there is that in his domain, he is as powerful as Malekith outside Graven. At most, I would give him level 14. That means he is a fair fight to the higher level Malekith, but if outside his domain, he still is beaten by the Nameless. Giving him level 15 would be putting him too close to Malekith in my opinion. I think the only other Lord of Nightmares close to Malekith's power is Tsukiyomi, and she is a Kami, so it's normal.

Spoiler: More detailed analysis
    Show
    Lords of Nightmares are one of the most powerful things out there before we get to the true High Tier. Not in vain, Malekith within Graven can beat most other Messengers, with only 2 or 3 standing a chance (*cough*Ergo, Baal and Bringeus*cough*). Gnosis 40 is HUGE.

A hypotetical Level 13 Darcia would have a +20 bonus against Malekith if the fight happened in Darcia's Domain. That, alongside his many powers there (Let's say, the same as Malekith's in Gaven, minus the Node) pretty much evens the fight.

Against the Nameless, who is much less able to deal with multiple enemies than Malekith (Nightmare ftw), he would have a serious chance to win. I'd say somewhere around 50/50 if Darcia played his cards right. But without those sweet sweet Gnosis buffs, it would be natural for him to decide that the Nameless is too much for him and flee.

Of course, that depends on how you read AS' answer. If you take their word as meaning that Darcia is almost as powerful as Malekith, fullstop, then level 14 would make more sense. Level 15, however, would be too much in my opinion. With that level, Darcia stands probably a closer chance of beating the Nameless even in the real world, despite his Nemesis abilities, and I don't think he would have fled if that were the case.
    Last edited by Khaiel; 2016-10-14 at 06:10 AM.

6. - Top - End - #6

HalfOrcPirate

Glad to see you around too.

True should have double checked on Dementia, Gnosis 30/40 for the Lord of nightmares seem to be the main thing for all the lords of nightmare. Level 13/14 Warlock sounds like a fair level to me.

Let see some godkillers collected note not super organized: (believe it comes from two posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Godkillers information
    Godkillers list:
    Kisidan, Felix San Felix, Patrick Osborn, Killian, a woman warlock from the Twilight Brotherhood (she uses scythe and magic), NIbelheim (dont remember if she is a Patriarch or Godkiller), Radamanthis, Dereck, Orion (father of Dereck, but he is dead).

Felix is one of the top 3 with Kisidan. He is blonde, blue eyes and from Gabriel, she like a lot the girls (a lover), and he is immortal, like Kisidan.

The other four is unknown (for me).
    -------------
    Kisidan is one of the three most powerful Godkillers of the 15 that there are right now. However he could be the most powerful or the third most powerful, we don't know for sure. You need to be at least level 10 for Imperium to consider recruiting you as a Godkiller, and even though all current Godkillers are humans or started their lives as humans, Imperium wouldn't mind recruiting someone from another race or even a supernatural creature as a Godkiller as long as they had the right mindset. Like all members of Imperium, Godkillers cannot have Elan of any kind, and Summoners are something they are not exactly thrilled about (Too unreliable).

As for known Godkillers, there's Radamantis (Which, iirc, is a woman who disguises herself as a man), there's a Godkiller named Deymos (I believe he is not related to the Messenger, but some people do), I believe there was one named Oneiros (Don't know if he has something to do with Samiel and Deadmoon, but I wouldn't be surprised), there's Dereck Shezzard. In Arkangel there are two other Godkillers aside from Kisidan. Kisidan absolutely hates one. The other (Pier Jeanpiere or something like that) is a womanizer that seems to be liked by anyone (Either he is a really nice guy or it's some kind of supernatural power, the words AS used can mean both). Other names that have been mentioned as being the names of Godkillers (This was WAY back, in like 2009, it may have changed) are Patrick Osborne, Felix Sanfelix and Killian.

Also... Lilith is not from Gaia. She is from one of the Interreigns or whatever FFG called them (If it isn't clear by now, I kinda don't like most of their translations) called Deloran. She managed to escape because she was at the right place at the right time with the right person. This person was a Godkiller (AS didn't say which one). I thought it was interesting because we were talking about Godkillers.
    Last edited by Hyperion; 2016-10-14 at 06:19 AM.
    My interest in what you're talking about is low to moderate - Vork, Knight of Good.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Nibelheim I believe was a Patriarch. Would have to double check. Radamantis and the woman from the Twilight Brotherhood are actually the same person, iirc.

But to be fair, AS has done a lot of retconning in the last 3-4 years (Possibly for the best), so it's hard to tell.

And since we are talking about Godkillers: apparently AS noticed that the power level of character sheets used by players and GMs was far above the power level of the NPC sheets and has started updating them. That's also the reason for the change in Malekith's sheet, apparently. This is all "Light dixit", so take it with a grain of salt.
    Last edited by Khaiel; 2016-10-14 at 06:26 AM.

8. - Top - End - #8

HalfOrcPirate

Yeah I can imagine AS upgrading some characters after seeing the overall power level. I do remember an anecdocte on the forum, about a martial tournament or something...where some player(a warrior-mentalist I believe) essentially challenged Tiamat and won against AS. So he made a few changes after that.

Speaking of Tiamat and Lilith, I believe in my last few notes, there was a belief that the knights of seventh heaven had the following levels: 14, 10,11, 12.

With dramatis Personae, we know that Griever is level 10 and the from the gaia vol.1 that Kisidan is the one with level 14.

So supposedly their levels should be:

Kisidan (14)
    Lilith (12)
    Tiamat (11)
    Griever (10)

and might as well toss in the knights of heaven estimated levels by rank:

knights of Heaven
    1st (lvl 0~1)
    2nd (lvl ~2)
    3rd (lvl 3~4)
    4th (lvl 4~5)
    5th (lvl 5~8)
    6th (lvl 6~9)
    7th (named characters)

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Yes, an 8th level Warrior Mentalist utterly beated the crap out of Tiamat during a Barcelona ComicCon (Back in 2007 I believe). Considering how Tiamat is, he migh have even liked that.

Those levels for the 7th Heaven are accurate. Of note is also that:
    Kisidan is a Warrior 3/ Technician 14, specialized in 1v1 combat.
    Tiamat has all his levels in Shadow. He fights using the Cancer Ars Magnus.
    Lilith is a Wizard/Walorck (Wizard 7/Warlock 12, I'd say).

The levels for the Order of Heaven are mostly ok... Though I believe 3rd Heaven probably has some guys at level 5 and 6, and 5th and 6th probably are around the same levels. Remember that 4th and 5th are special operations, while 3rd is command and 6th are bodyguards for the Empress. They do not exactly outrank each other. They just have different specialties.
    Last edited by Khaiel; 2016-10-14 at 06:44 AM.

10. - Top - End - #10

HalfOrcPirate

True, I'll take that into account now let see what's next some lost information:

Quote Originally Posted by On Barding (Mount/Animal armor)
    Barding:
    The AT values are :
    - Light barding 2-2-2-2-1-2-0
    - Heavy barding 4-4-4-4-1-4-0
    Anima tactics, official levels for the rpg, rough formula for other tactics rpg seems to be level divided by 6.25 (not 100% accurate but pretty close):

Quote Originally Posted by Anima Tactics levels
    Sacred Holy Empire of Abel
    Yuri Olsen (P, 8) (See dramatis personae for more details)
    Griever (Wmst, 10) (See dramatis personae for more details)
    Claire Adelheid (Wa, 7)
    Duncan Reid (Wmst, 6)
    Lilian Virgil (Pa, 6)
    Kronen Roxxon (Wmst, 5)
    Odin Goldsmith (Wmst, 7)
    Janus Faith (Wa, 7)
    Daniella Meris (Ra, 6)
    Vayl (Sh, 6)
    Samiel (Wa, 8)

Azur Alliance
    High Arbiter Alastor (DP, 10)
    High Arbiter Arkeid (WS, 9)
    The Colonel (DP, 8) (See dramatis personae for more details)
    Reindhold (WM, 7)
    Kirsten (AW, 6)
    Kyler (As, 6)
    Deadmoon (Te,8)
    Hel (AW, 5)
    Jerome (Sh, 6)
    Maximo Ligori (Wmst, 6)
    Harod (As, 7)

The Church
    Romeo Exxet (Wrl, 11) (See dramatis personae for more details)
    Saint Elianai (Wi, 8/?)
    Justina (AW, 6)
    Damien (Te, 6)
    Saint Evangeline (Wi, 7)
    Saint Astraega (Su, 5)
    Saint Hazael (Su, 3)
    Nero (Pa, 7)
    Xavier (DP, 7)
    Azriel (Wa, 7)
    Aliss Testarossa (AW, 6)

Samael
    Ophiel (Wrl, 10) (See dramatis personae for more details)
    Dinah (Wrl, 9/13)
    Kairos (AW, 7)
    Konosuke (Wmst, 8)
    Morrigan (Wrl, 9/12)
    Dark Chesire (Te, 7)
    Dael (Wi, 7)
    Aoi Inukai (Wi, 6)
    Janiel (Wrl, 5)
    Shinigami Ayl (Wrl, 7)
    Genma Dhanyata (Su, 7)

Wissenschaft

Reist Ebersbacher (Fr, 9)
    Valeria Strauss (AW, 6)
    Edgard Ibanesku (Wa, 5)
    Frederick Mausser (Ra, 7)
    Steiner Wenzel (Fr, 5)
    XII (Sh, 10) (See dramatis personae for more details)
    Lorenzo (Wa, 6)
    Rayne (Te, 7)
    Cordelia Rosalind (Ra, 6)
    Celia (AW, 7/11)
    Feng Yi (Tao, 6)
    Alessa Raincross (Ra, 7)
    Veronica (Th, 7)

Wanderers
    Li Long (Tao, 7/10)
    Lin Pao (Tao, 5)
    Jiang Pao (Tao, 6)
    Akio (Wi, 5)
    Tsubasa Kurokami (Te, 7)
    Faust Orbatos (DP, 8)
    Khaine D'lacreu (DP, 6)
    Dereck Shezard (Tao, 9/12) [with dragon seals] (Special note: confirmed and listed as the weakest of the Godkillers)
    Kujaku Hime (AW, 7) (See dramatis persona for more details)
    Takanosuke (Sh, 6)
    Sophia Ilmora (Fr, 8)
    Last edited by Hyperion; 2016-10-14 at 08:43 AM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

It's cool to see an Anima thread. I don't get many chances to play it, but this is one of my favorite systems, and personally, it needs more love. Speaking of which, sorry to hear about the international forums. I used to lurk there for advice on character builds.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

Oh, cool, an Anima thread! A worthy endeavor that, for all its fiddly-ness and learning curve, remains my favorite RPG.

Three things:

1) There was also a Gamemaster's Toolkit book. It featured a few game elements such as new Creation Advantages, new combat manuevers, new optional rules, and so on. It also had sample characters, a sample adventure, and the GM Screen.

2) The OP mentions the contract being expired and maybe/maybe not being re-signed with FFG. If I may ask, is there a link to where one may keep an eye out for when and how this is resolved. I'm one of the many people who wants to throw large sums of money at whoever ends up making them to buy the Core Exxet and Gaia Vol 2.

3) Has there ever been a compiled list of everything that beings of sufficiently high Gnosis can do/ignore?

Thanks

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

1) I knew I was forgetting some book. I rarely have to look at the GM's Toolkit since I know most of the rules there, so I forgot. Adding it now.

2) I'm guessing the best place to check (and ask) is Anima Project Studio's twitter account (@animaps).

3) This is an interesting question that I cannot answer at the moment. The truth is, there is some stuff here and there, but the next book, Between Light and Darkness, is the book about Gnosis and Elan, so any answer I give you before that is released (Sometime in the next two years, in my opinion) is going to be incomplete.

EDIT: I have some high quality Anima fanmade material in my computer, some of it mine. However it is mostly in Spanish. Should I still upload it and share the links?
    Last edited by Khaiel; 2016-10-18 at 03:35 AM.

14. - Top - End - #14

HalfOrcPirate

Might as well upload it.

The Fallen Angels of Samael notes, at least the ones we know about:

Dinah lv9/13
    - Duk'zarist imbued with light power (Looks like a Sylvain) Trying to bring about the acceptance of the supernatural into human society. See Tactics Book.
    Legion lv13
    - Half-Dark Dragon/Mummy king thing. Likes to work in the shadows. See TWWAU
    Ophiel Lv10
    - Duk'zarist with a kill all humans thing going. Shadow(Umbra) Magic. Youngest FA. See Dramatis Personae.
    Angelus Lv?
    - Father of Arkeid (who is a High Arbiter in the Azur Alliance).
    Mo'ōhtavo'nehe Lv9
    - Jayan Lord, father to Nahimana (who is nicknamed Blood Princess) both? are Honorable and Proud
    Greco Lv?
    - Demon Lord , Since he is just a demon lord not a prince or anything like that, probably using the stats of a Demon Duke and the likes is okay. TWWAU. (opinion)
    Jigoku no kami Lv?
    - is a dark kami, Covel Dhanyata serves as the container/avatar of this figure. Covel has apparently a pact with Black Sun as well.

That leaves five left. (2 are d’anjayni, 3 are there to be made by the GM)

Disposition toward mankind:

Dinah: (Cooperation)
    Ophiel: (Extremist / Other Goal)
    Jigoku no Kami: (Extremist)
    Angelus: (Cooperation / Other Goal)
    Legion: (Other Goal)

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Jingoku no Kami was a Dark Kami, so level 11 at most. Warrior Summoner most probably. Angelus is most likely a Warrior Summoner too, as it is said in Arkeid's background that her summoner's gifts run in her blood. And quite possibly level 9 or higher, considering he killed a High Arbiter (Arkeid's adoptive father).
    Last edited by Khaiel; 2016-10-18 at 05:57 AM.

16. - Top - End - #16

HalfOrcPirate

Since it seems to be a rather common inquiry worth talking about I guess:

The Inquisition levels:

Inquisitors the regular ones are minimum level 4, they all have Lawbringers (Prometheum exxet) most of these weapons are bastard swords. There are roughly 1000 regular inquisitors. If you are wondering why level 4, you have to remember that a fresh inquisitor did spend his time training in killing monsters and they are indeed given the proper tool to fight monsters with their lawbringers.

High Inquisitors, are inquisitors with supernatural abilities from whatever source, they appear to be level 6 on average. There are roughly 100 High inquisitors. (So yeah go wild on customization of your high inquisitors, bloodlines, special ki techniques, elan etc...)

Some inquisitors are of course higher levels (Alexias level 11 for example is pretty strong.). The top inquisitors are essentially level 9 to 11 roughly.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Mostly right. Yes, according to the Core Rulebook, there are somewhere around 1000 Inquisitors and 100 High Inquisitors. But according to Anima Tactics (Which is set around 6 months later) there are about 600 Inquisitors and a bit over 50 High Inquisitors. Those few first months after the return of the supernatural have taken their toll...

The level 4 comes from the fact that the most common Trial (In fact THE Trial, unless circumstances offer a different one) is to kill an Aberration (From the Core Rulebook), and those are level 4. So level 4 for rookies, 5 for the ones that have been Inquisitors for some time now.

High Inquisitors don't exactly outrank Inquisitors (Or have higher levels). The difference is that High Inquisitors have obvious supernatural powers, while Inquisitors don't. Of course, since somewhere around level 6-7 even the most mundane of Weaponmasters usually has some obvious Ki Abilities, most high level members of the Inquisition are High Inquisitors.

About 10-20 (It was somewhere in that range, but the number changed with time) High Inquisitors are level 10+. Examples include Marchosias (Technician 10), Alexias (Shadow 11), Romeo (Warlock 11) and Krausser (Weaponmaster 12). Krausser was actually the Inquisition's second most powerful Inquisitor, only behind Romeo, before he left and joined the Brotherhood, so those level 10+ Inquisitors are most likely level 10-11.

Related but not exactly about the Inquisition. The Red Lady (From Anima GoM) is a level 9 Wizard, and she was said to be Nathaniel's most knowledgeable and talented magic agent, only behind Elienai herself. So it seems that level 8 is probably a safe spot to put the top members of Nathaniel, such as Noel Likas (Nathaniel's second in command, only behind Romeo).

Then there's also Maria. She's in a weird spot. She is not an Inquisitor, and she possibly isn't part of Nathaniel either. She uses the body of the dead Messenger Mimetin as her weapon (Geminis Ars Magnus), and was considered the Church's second most powerful agent, only behind the Bearer and Ergo. With that in mind, and assuming Mimetin is a level 4 or 4+ artifact, it still means she is probably higher level than Romeo (I'd say, Technician level 13).

18. - Top - End - #18

HalfOrcPirate

I didn't know their numbers decreased in tactics, that's good to know, speaking of GoM, guess spoilers for people who are curious some spoilers for the messengers and the likes:
    Spoiler: Spoiler
    Show

Nascal Freelance level 12, Gnosis 25
    Druaga Weapon Master level 14, Gnosis 30
    Johnathan Kappel, Warrior-Summoner level 15 , Gnosis 35
    The Nameless, Technician level 15, Gnosis 35
    Malekith, Warlock level 16, Gnosis 30/40 (in Graven)
    Ergo, Warlock level 17, Gnosis 35 (40 in true form)
    Baal, Warlock level 17, Gnosis 40, has some level 100 magic.

It should be noted Nascal mostly relies on technomagic puppets and his modified body. Druaga requires you to kill both spiritual and physical form at the same time. Johnathan Kappel is essentially the perfect summoner, he can create whatever he wants with his summon ability and on top of it, all creatures consider him superior. The Nameless combine Nemesis, his killing hand (works like eyes of death basically) and Malekith has too many abilities to list, especially in Graven. Ergo is a monster to say the least, level 70 in all spells and can absorb people or artifacts to become even stronger, always max accumulation for ki and magic. Baal is ridiculous monster, from essentially getting rerolls, healing half the damage done to him every turn, ignore AT, never take defense penalties and level 100 magic (I believe some people were debating, if he could really cast the level 100 spells...but well, why not.)
    Last edited by Hyperion; 2016-10-20 at 07:01 AM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Massive spoilers. I suggest you use them too.

Spoiler: Spoilers from Anima GoM
    Show
    Baal knows Divine Magic, but can't cast it. In order to cast Divine Magic, you need Gnosis higher than 40 (41 would suffice, in practice what this means is that you need Gnosis 45). However, had it manifested in the real world, it would have gotten Gnosis 45 (It was trying to expand his Presence to the whole world), so it makes sense for it to be prepared for that.

As for the Bearer of Calamities, I believe right now she has somehow kept all her Bearer powers plus Ergo's power of absorption in its limited version and his magic power. That, in my opinion, would explain the little scene at the epilogue when she clearly uses Ergo's power.
    Last edited by Khaiel; 2016-10-20 at 03:19 AM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

I've read the core book - though I've never played it.

I liked elements of it, especially the vibe of summoning stuff.

But large parts - especially all of the opposed dodge/armor rolling - seemed like the action would be pretty slow. Am I missing something that streamlines it? It also seems like they would make combat rather swingy.

Plus (like all point-buy systems) it has some major balance issues I could see on a skim-through. (Not that systems with classes/levels can't have major balance issues - D&D/Pathfinder certainly have caster/martial issues - but some imbalance is pretty much inherent to complex point-buy systems.) Though it has pretty good balance for a complex point-buy system.

21. - Top - End - #21

HalfOrcPirate

Exxet is the version that I play, it is way faster. The english version that was translated is the first version of the game which is even more confusing when people look at books like arcana exxet or dominus exxet. The exxet changes are minor but make it smooth. Just like how the unification of ki rules from dominus exxet, make it so that players have way less to track when using Ki.

Some fans did translate the exxet version of the game awhile ago, it still requires the corebook to even understand what's going on. Combat is just a simple formula of attack vs dodge.

Combat are inherently swingy with open rolls (you roll a 90 and above, you get to reroll again, if you get 91 and above on second roll, you keep rolling etc...) someone could get very lucky and keep on getting open rolls until reaching ridiculously high numbers but since it goes both way (attack vs defense), so technically everybody can get luckly every once or twice.

As for balance...everything is relative. The system essentially goes a bit like this:
    -Psychic are very strong at the beginning of the game but they fall off when you get to mid levels and higher levels. As there is a lack of materials for them and on top of it, they end reaching a certain glass ceiling.

-Martial/Ki users in general stay in the middle most of their careers. Should be noted that in dominus exxet, ki users can be ki summoners as well, working like Naruto in general. Being in the middle does it make it seem that they never become weaker or stronger than the other types out there.

-Magic users are very weak at the beginning, but become stronger, as levels keep progressing. Magic are limited mostly by Gnosis and limited Zeon resource (level 80 and above requires higher gnosis than players ever have...and if a player is dumb enough to cast chimera or the necromancy spell to become a supernatural creature...they pretty much signed their death warrant. As Carlos confirmed recently that becoming a between creatures remove your natura completely, think of it as destiny/fate...so no more plot device protection.)

-Summoning is the strongest and most powerful option at higher levels but, Summoning is very GM dependent. If your GM doesn't give opportunities to make summoning pacts , it's downright useless at least for people who wants to do big summoning. Summoners relying on creatures, have a bit less to worry about but it's still not perfect or as powerful as summoning something like Shiva or Bahamut (giving final fantasy references here).
    Last edited by Hyperion; 2016-10-20 at 03:31 PM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Hyperion View Post
    Combat are inherently swingy with open rolls (you roll a 90 and above, you get to reroll again, if you get 91 and above on second roll, you keep rolling etc...) someone could get very lucky and keep on getting open rolls until reaching ridiculously high numbers but since it goes both way (attack vs defense), so technically everybody can get luckly every once or twice.
    Yes - technically everybody could, but it's unlikely to happen for attack & defense at the same time.

I have to problem with opposed roll systems, but I think that they generally work better with 2d10 or 3d6 to make the base rolls inherently less swingy to counter the opposed rolling adding swingy-ness. Instead, Anima adds (basically) exploding dice, making an already swingy opposed roll system moreso. Plus tables which make hitting by a lot do way more damage. (It wouldn't matter much if it was just hit/miss on the opposed rolling - damage entirely seperate.)

Now - being swingy isn't inherently bad - some people seem to like it as it (arguably) better shows the randomness of combat. But... not my cup of tea.

It does sound like there is a lite version which streamlines a lot of the clunkiness I noticed. (Plus - some of that might have been translation issues.)
    Last edited by CharonsHelper; 2016-10-20 at 03:36 PM.

23. - Top - End - #23

HalfOrcPirate

True it probably won't happen for both at the same time. Someone stronger than somebody else could still match someone getting lucky or still not get hurt at all (but that's part is another story entirely...).

I'm of course talking in general terms, there are some other factors to take into account, like what techniques are being used, spells, special abilities etc... so even if someone get very lucky for example on an attack roll against a mage with a supernatural shield, even if he does a lot of damage, at most, he would just destroy the shield and not hurt the mage directly for example.

Damage Resistance creatures are there also for boss fights and likes, since they are essentially just beings that take hits after hits, sponge of damage essentially as they have a lot of life points.

Guess frame of reference when I say:

-Mid levels (5-7)
    -High levels (8+)
    The game can technically go higher but well...as a frame of reference in the setting level 8-10 is the range of most Gods and Demigods (of course not 100% accurate since Gods are ranked by their Gnosis not their levels but you get the gist of it).

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Ok, let's go step by step.

Combat is actually not that slow. It is at first, as the method it uses is not common in other systems, but once you get used to it, it's actually relatively fast, and follows a very simple if x then y else z structure. However there's one thing that you have to realize. Although Anima has a lot of rules for combat, it was never designed as a combat heavy system. Those rules are there to make combat balanced, as it is usually the source of most imbalances in a system, but it is not the core of Anima. And it is easy to see it: Most Anima groups won't have any source of healing outside natural regeneration. With that, each challenging combat will mean days or weeks of waiting until you are back to 100%. To put it simply, combat in Anima should be something that happens only every once in a while. So yes, combat is slower than in, say, D&D, but it also should be less common.

Anima is balanced around power over time and rock-paper-scissors. Also, there's no balance between classes, there's balance between characters (Two characters of the same class can be so different that it just doesn't make sense to make class based balance).
    • Power over time: Characters are balanced around how much time they can be active before running out of resources. Characters that use little supernatural abilities or use the few abilities that do not use resources have a certain power that just keeps constant. Psychics can basically maintain their power for as long as they don't fumble, although they have limits to how much of this power they can use each turn. Heavy Magic characters usually have huge spikes of power that are followed by days (or even weeks, I'm looking at you Invocation Summoners) of being at low levels of performance in order to recover.
    • Rock-Paper-Scissors: In Anima there are three roles for almost everything, from combat to infiltration: Supernaturals, Mundanes and Nullificators. Characters can either perform one of this roles very well, perform two well or be a sort of jack of all trades but master of none. Supernaturals defeat Mundanes as they get their power spike of the day/week, Mundanes defeat Nullificators as they are not affected by them and Nullificators negate the power spike of supernaturals and then proceed to beat them to a pulp.

Those are the two points of balance in Anima. It's not a perfect balance, and of course there are levels of optimization, but at the highest level of optimization, all characters, independent of their class, should still be quite close.

Also, yes, there are a lot of translation errors that make the English version seem like a completely different game at times. FFG didn't give the game much love.

It should be noted, however, that Anima is still an incomplete game. There are at least three more books that cover certain rules. And while those should be minor, they will probably balance some stuff (Elan, for one, needs some love. Right now it's just sort of there...)

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Khaiel View Post
    Although Anima has a lot of rules for combat, it was never designed as a combat heavy system.
    Then why does it have a lot of rules for combat? Lots of rules for it implies that at least the designers thought that it was important enough to deserve the space that could have gone to, for example, social conflict.

Compare a system that's focused on other areas, say the Mistborn Adventure Game. The game doesn't just tell you how to break combat in two, it has a sample character who does (Physique 6+aPewter 5+relevant Trait gives you 12 Action Dice, almost twice the max of anyone not using equivalent Physique boosts), and yet combat remains balanced because it is only one facet of the game, ruining your opponent's reputation gets as much attention from the system as bashing his face in (as does beating him at cards). Heck, combat is balanced because aPewter is so awesome, there are several ways to defeat a Pewterarm but most of them involved the words 'avoid close combat', messing with their emotions is the easiest.

Now understand that I don't dislike Anima, it's just a combat focused system (if not a combat focused game).

Power over time: Characters are balanced around how much time they can be active before running out of resources. Characters that use little supernatural abilities or use the few abilities that do not use resources have a certain power that just keeps constant. Psychics can basically maintain their power for as long as they don't fumble, although they have limits to how much of this power they can use each turn. Heavy Magic characters usually have huge spikes of power that are followed by days (or even weeks, I'm looking at you Invocation Summoners) of being at low levels of performance in order to recover.
    So how does Anima solve the 15 minute adventuring week? (i.e. as soon as the wizard runs out of Zeon we rest for 10 days), or is it up to me as the GM to enforce time limits?

Rock-Paper-Scissors: In Anima there are three roles for almost everything, from combat to infiltration: Supernaturals, Mundanes and Nullificators. Characters can either perform one of this roles very well, perform two well or be a sort of jack of all trades but master of none. Supernaturals defeat Mundanes as they get their power spike of the day/week, Mundanes defeat Nullificators as they are not affected by them and Nullificators negate the power spike of supernaturals and then proceed to beat them to a pulp.
    Okay, this is interesting, I need to have a closer look at the supplements.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

(Two characters of the same class can be so different that it just doesn't make sense to make class based balance).
    Definitely. When talking about class based systems, people generally mean class/level systems. Anima is basically a point-buy system that uses classes to direct the point-buy in a few different general directions.

So yes, combat is slower than in, say, D&D, but it also should be less common.
    Wow - that's really slow then. Most people I know consider D&D to be a rather slow combat system. (At least 3.x & 4e D&D. I've heard that 5e is a bit faster - but I haven't gotten the chance to play it yet.)
    Last edited by CharonsHelper; 2016-10-21 at 08:49 AM.

27. - Top - End - #27

HalfOrcPirate

It's quite possible depending on your GM style, to play a game with little to no violence but definitely one of the appeal of Anima is to do all crazy stunts in your favorite media. The experience system actually rewards you more, if you find creative solution to your problems or if you struggle on some issues. Being able to beat a fight easily actually give almost no experience, so optimizing for combat is funny enough counter productive.

I believe that combat is important, the many different rules of combat are there to give more freedom to players to do their favorite tv shows, video games, anime, movies characters. But Combat in Anima can only get you so far, at least in the default Gaia campaign setting (not taking interreigns into account), as it is a dark fantasy setting. Of course, the most powerful people in Gaia have power levels rivaling gods(Well those you can fight anyway...which is another story.)

The default setting(Gaia) is best played like a shadow war, as most people don't know that the supernatural is coming back to Gaia. Sneak attacks, betrayal, secrets, conspiracy, ancient misunderstood technology and probably taking on more than you can chew should be part of your game. You can of course try to go the D&D route but the game isn't exactly suited to do that, encountering random monsters on the road to another town is very unlikely and many sentient supernatural beings know the risks of the inquisition showing up and destroying them, so usually everything is done very subtlety to attract the less attention possible.

Downtime is also part of the game, as your characters if you follow the learning time rules, need some time to learn new spells, new techniques etc...

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

In my experience, 3.5's combat is slow only if you break the action economy. Then again, most optimized builds try to do just that.

Now, there's one thing that must be understood about Anima: Despite what it says in the Appendix, Anima wasn't designed to be used in other settings. It can be used, but that's not what it was designed for. And some parts of the balance come from the setting itself.

For the 15 minute adventuring day, well, in D&D 3.5, for example, you need to rest for a day if you go all out. In Anima we are talking days-weeks. In Gaļa, if you have used enough energy to actually force you to spend so much time resting, then you don't have that much time to rest to begin with. Gaļa is in such a shape that it is difficult for displays of supernatural energy to go unnoticed. And most organizations that would notice them don't like people doing them. It is either their duty to stop them (The Church, the Templars of Tol Rauko), they don't want people using supernatural powers openly for fear of being associated with them (Samael, the Order of Magus), or they would want to profit from such powers (The Empire, the Azur Alliance, Black Sun, Wissenschaft, the Order of Yehudah).

TL/DR: Anima is made for an specific setting, which helps the system a lot with some issues. The issues are there, yes, but as long as the internal logic of Gaļa is followed, they are mostly negated.

EDIT: For the Supernatural-Mundane-Nullifier balance, the book that showcases this the most is Dominus Exxet (Core Exxet does too, but it is a little harder to see). Supernatural: Most Ki Techniques. Mundane: Martial Arts and Combat Modules. Nullifier: Nemesis and Interruption Techniques. This mostly becomes obvious once you play, as you'll see that most characters start to gravitate towards these roles.
    Last edited by Khaiel; 2016-10-21 at 12:53 PM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Pixie in the Playground

Flumph

Was wondering if anyone had advice for what books I'll need for, or if there are any resources for lore and setting? I want to use the default setting, but I also want to get a really solid grasp of it, and not get any details wrong. I'd also like to read more about the NPCs and various characters in the world. I heard that one of the Tactics Sagas books was a good place for that.

30. - Top - End - #30

HalfOrcPirate

Worth noting, not lot of stuffs in the setting is crystal clear, as the author wants to give some room for GM to modify their games as they please. Lucanor motives for example are up to the GM, there are some open slots for the Fallen Angels in Samael, one of the Messengers has an open slot for GM etc...

Among all the books listed, technically Prometheum Exxet is the only book that isn't essential. As you don't need a book about artifacts in general, there are some interesting ideas but it's not mandatory. Most of the action occurs on the old continent, Gaia vol. 1 is better for that than Gaia vol.2 which deals with Eurakia. Still Gaia vol. 2 is nice if you want to know more about the lore in general, as they added some useful information about the history of Gaia in general and of course more stuffs about the new continent.

The Dramatis personae free web supplement was never released in English but you can find the french or spanish on edgeent website. Which contains information about npcs in the setting.

For anima tactics, can just recommend you this fan site. If you are interested in Lore of the character, in the faction section the npcs presented with lore are summarized a bit.

It should be noted that if you are in the US, FFG (anima beyond fantasy rpg) stopped their license, Cipher Studios (Anima Tactics distributor) is no more as well, so a bit out of luck. France (technically French-Canada as well) and Spain still make Anima Beyond Fantasy books, so if you speak French or Spanish, those are good sources.

Perfect World Guide which gives some information about the npcs in the video game Gate of Memories is only available to people who bought the add on the kickstarter, so this one is out of luck for now. You can just watch a Let's play etc...of Anima Gate of Memories if you don't plan to play the game to get an idea of what happened lately in the storyline of Gaia. (would recommend to do it last, as it is the furthest down the line in the storyline.)

Many extra information about the lore, mostly come from people asking questions in the forum and the author responding from time to time. So even after reading the books, you are welcome to come ask more questions here or check out what we posted already.