Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 13 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Beyond Bubonic OOC II

Hey everyone, I'm going to repost my GM post from the first OOC with a few unnecessary parts cut out.

O.K. I have taken over for nersxes and I'll be putting the basics up here for ease of access and also I will be putting the maps here. The original concept was made by whoiam and originally DMed by nersxes. Credit where credit is due after all!

Beyond Bubonic Spreadsheet

Spoiler: The Story and the Big 16
    Show
    Your world was predictable, mundane. It wasn't safe, but you knew your likely causes of death-- bandits, act of god, childbirth, old age. You did what you could to stave it off, but the regularity was soothing, at least it was looking back.

Then everything changed. A horrible, massively contagious blight spread across the lands, infecting everything it touched, from people to animals, turning them into monstrous, murderous representations of themselves. Man rallied and fought, but there is only so much a knight can do when faced with fire-breathing flying monstrosities.

The only saving grace? Some blessed few, when cursed with the plague, recovered and demonstrated powers beyond mortal man: magic. Led by these few, man retreated beyond massive, supernaturally-reinforced walls, with every man, woman and child forced to contribute.

It's been a year since the first chimera devasted the Holy capital with terrifying ease. You are one of those few with magic, claimed by the city as an asset from the second you showed your first spark of superhuman ability. You are man's only hope against the creeping dark.

Are you up to the task?

--

Hello, and welcome to Beyond Bubonic, a 3.5 campaign.

Spoiler: Campaign Information
    Show

System: DnD 3.5, with limited availability for PF and homebrew
    Player Count: 4-6 active, 4-6 alternates.
    Style of Play: Heavy roleplay, horror
    Allowed Content:
    • Core + XPH
    • Completes
    • Races of
    • PF material allowed on case-by-case
    • other 3.5 material allowed on case-by-case
    • Homebrew allowed case-by-case

Character Creation:

• Backstory: This is a high-roleplay environment. Suck me in. Make me really care about your character and their struggles. Give me plothooks. We may not roll any dice for a long time in this campaign, so this is the important part. That said, I'm imposing a 500 word hard limit. You should be able to catch my attention with less, though.
    • Experience: L2, weighted gestalt*
    • Wealth: 900g, only mundane items
    • Ability Scores: 32pb
    • Skills: PF list, 3.5 mechanics. Must have at least one maxed Craft or Profession skill, to reflect your ordinary life before you got magic.
    • Hitpoints/Health: Max
    • Alignment: Party-friendly. I don't care if that means you're LE who considers it in bad taste to kill friends, TN who wants to restore the balance of the world, or NG who will work with anyone so long as it's to help the city.

Spoiler: On weighted gestalt, and class/race restrictions
    Show

Weighted gestalt: We're using this tier list. T1s are single-classed. T2s can have a T6 on the other side. T3s can have a T5 on the other side, and T4s can have another T4 on the other side.

Class restrictions: Anything with a spell book is right out; scrolls are so rare that there may well be two in the entire city, and there has been no time to develop the formulas that wizard spells are based on. Artificers are disallowed, as their crafting breaks the low-magic feel.

Clerics have a theme rather than a god/dess; if there are divine beings in this world, they're not handing out power. Likewise with any other divine class that usually draws their power from a divine being.

Classes with animal companions or familiars may have a rough time replacing them, as many mundane animals have fallen to the plague.

Any class with monster-related fluff (such as DFA or dragon shaman) should strongly consider refluffing themselves. People do not take well to people who respect or draw power from monsters.

Monstrous/undead minions are not allowed within city limits, no exceptions. The powers that be have every detect spell known running; they will find your minion(s) and you will be in deep trouble.

Race restrictions : Anything visibly monstrous is banned. The caretakers would have killed any such beings as soon as they began to mutate. Humans are recommended, though anything close to human is allowed. However, fantastic racism is in effect; anything beyond elves (can wear a hat), halflings (could just be a midget or child), and dwarves (midget?) is going to have a rough time.

Spoiler: World information
    Show
    Think Attack on Titan meets low-fantasy: walled cities, magic-users are rare and both respected and feared. Everyone contributes, or they don't get fed.

The sickness: Called the blight or the plague interchangeably by most, it is a sickness that seems to infect any living thing, from people to animals to plants. For humans, the usual symptoms are a day of high fever, a day spent unconscious, and then transformation into either a mage or a monster. Some display other symptoms such as boils or a wracking cough, which seem to be related to their eventual transformation.

Monsters range from a twisted version of the original being, such as undead, to a completely unrecognizable monstrosity. Luckily for those in the early days of the plague, the larger and more deadly transformations tend to take more time, during which a strong-willed person can administer mercy.

Mage: A catchall term for anyone who survived the blight as a person and not a monster. Whether it be the more common beams of fire/acid/ice, or the rare and valued spells to knit flesh together, every mage has abilities beyond human capability. The life expectancy of mages is short, as they are the only ones capable of venturing past the walls in relative safety.

Caretakers: The caretakers are those who watch over the infected in hopes they will survive and become mages. It's a stressful, nerve-wracking job; is the guy growing horns about to become a tiefling or a behemoth? Should you kill the guy surrounded by fire, or hope he's about to become a mage who uses flames? As often as possible, caretakers are mages themselves, as they often venture outside the walls and hopefully have a better ability to tell monsters from mages.

Creds: In a city strapped for resources and labor, everyone must contribute. Creds are the slang term for the small tokens given to those who Create, Retain, rEpair, or Defend the city. Creds buy everything from rations to clothes.

The Council: The authority right now rests in the hands of the Council. It's four people, made up of the former Duke of Reisse (Reisse was the second biggest pre-plague city; no one knows how he got here safely), the highest-ranking remaining priest of Zol (the god people used to follow), the lieutenant Guildmaster of the Merchant's Guild (the Guildmaster himself is long dead), and the current captain of the guard.

Spoiler: Timeline
    Show

Last year, spring: the first plague victims appear. Physicians initially think it simply another sickness, and recommend bed rest and fluids for most, occasionally attempting to leech out the sickness. All leeches used on plague victims die.

Three days later: a being later called a manticore appears at the gates to the Holy City, smashing through the eastern wall and levelling the king's castle. In the chaos, as much as 90% of the city's population dies, or becomes infected.

One month after the attack on the Holy City: Reisse is devastated by a group of chain devils working in concert. The casualties are not as high as in the Holy City, as the first mages fight in defense of their home. Still, Reisse's walls and infrastructure are turned to rubble, and the survivors begin an exodus toward the Holy City in hopes that it still stands.

Two months after the attack on the Holy City: a small group of Reisse refugees make it to the Holy City. They find it in poor shape, but better able to be restored than Reisse. Repair of the walls begins.

Four months after the attack: The Reisse refugees, combined with the original Holy City survivors, manage to fully repair the original wall. With desperate people from other places flooding the city, and the lack of suitable intact housing, living spaces are tight and miserable. Construction on a new set of walls begins, along with repairs of mostly-intact buildings within city limits.

Six months after the attack: the Council begins to isolate and watch plague victims rather than kill them, resulting in the first caretakers. Established mages are sent on patrols just outside the city walls, alongside mundane guardsmen. Many die, but attacks on the city by wandering monsters decrease.

Two months before game start, nine months after the original Holy City was attacked: the renamed City of Hope finishes the new walls. A small force of elite mages are sent out toward the nearest city in search of survivors.

Three days before game start: The mages return, short several members but with two survivors in tow. These survivors, both mages, speak of a city to the west that has withstood the monster attacks in much the same way of the City of Hope. The Council deliberates how best to act on this information.

Character sheets must be hosted on an accessible sheet site.

CURRENT PLAYERS:
    whoiam as: Aislinn
    TaiLiu as: Dmitri
    NecroticPlague as: Chogain Ancha
    Novabomb as: Sherion Smith
    razorback as: Genzar Saradin

PENDING PLAYERS:
    Eldest as: Liliana
    Jastu as: Rex

PLAYERS ON VACATION:
    caesar193 as: Ulric Radulfrsson (Human) or Wolf
    tonberryking as: Lapis Almasy
    General Patton as:Lukas Abramsen

PREVIOUS PLAYERS:
    PersonMan
    Ridai
    JrimReaper Aspen
    Last edited by Tsunamiatunzen1; 2016-12-02 at 03:37 AM.
    Invincibility lies in the defense. The possibility of victory is in the attack.
    - Diamond Sword

Featured Homebrews:
    (SF) bombs and Hangar Support
    The Forge (Crafting System)

Extended Homebrew Sig

Dice (feel free to use them!):
    Spoiler
    Show
    [roll]1d20+[/roll]
    [roll]1d6[/roll]
    [rollv]3d6[/rollv]
    [roll]4d6b3[/roll]

"Why don't you just lop their head off?"
    "A hanging is far less messy. Plus, we want to keep this execution kid-friendly."

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Beyond Bubonic OOC II

Well, having it be the first instead of having to make sure I don't overshoot when going down certainly is a good minor convenience.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Are Genzar, Naz and Vee all back when Susan gives her revelation?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah, I don't think it would be that far away.
    - Diamond Sword

Featured Homebrews:

Extended Homebrew Sig

Spoiler
    Show
    [roll]1d20+[/roll]
    [roll]1d6[/roll]
    [rollv]3d6[/rollv]
    [roll]4d6b3[/roll]

"A hanging is far less messy. Plus, we want to keep this execution kid-friendly."

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Susan's first block of text seems a bit weird. Might want to double-check that.

And behold, ye have witnessed a most secret ritual. Not that secrecy is of dire importance. It's just that the ritual only comes out for matters of The Code, which aren't exactly common in public places. And Guther did have a flair for the dramatic. Plus he studied various movements through the ages, philosophical or otherwise, to see what he should do with his own. That type of ritualistic significance makes people feel more like a movement has something special, so they're more likely to bond with the other members and take the teachings seriously. ~Woo, aren't we mysterious?~

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Sorry, I wrote it with the intent that she first saw Lukas' promise and then the others spoke up about their vampire hunt.
    Although kudos to you for using that interesting promise. I like it when the players spice it up a bit now and again outside of combat. Keeps me from going looney thinking that I'm not getting you all involved enough.

(Believe me, I am not a dice-rolling player. It's fun to be sure, but the story makes those dice rolls mean something in my opinion and breathes life into this.)

P.S. That bit of lore is actually 'handy' to know. But seriously, it gives me some more material to work with.
    Last edited by Tsunamiatunzen1; 2016-10-12 at 01:36 AM.
    - Diamond Sword

Featured Homebrews:

Extended Homebrew Sig

Spoiler
    Show
    [roll]1d20+[/roll]
    [roll]1d6[/roll]
    [rollv]3d6[/rollv]
    [roll]4d6b3[/roll]

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Hey, about how long was the trip for the main group for the travelling alone? Trying to figure out the timescale Chogain might have travelled in, and thus try and convince the group to make.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

The trip took a week to complete for this group. The original group (including Genzar) wandered about for much longer. Then again, they didn't know where they needed to go. Naz and Vee do.

P.S. I still shake my head and wonder how we got here. The group began by fighting off a huge ant hill, getting ambushed by shadows that threatened to turn the whole city into a haunted nightmare, getting caught in a freak storm, and now fighting off vampires on their own turf.
    Last edited by Tsunamiatunzen1; 2016-10-12 at 11:49 PM.
    - Diamond Sword

Featured Homebrews:

Extended Homebrew Sig

Spoiler
    Show
    [roll]1d20+[/roll]
    [roll]1d6[/roll]
    [rollv]3d6[/rollv]
    [roll]4d6b3[/roll]

9. - Top - End - #9
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tsunamiatunzen1 View Post
    P.S. I still shake my head and wonder how we got here. The group began by fighting off a huge ant hill, getting ambushed by shadows that threatened to turn the whole city into a haunted nightmare, getting caught in a freak storm, and now fighting off vampires on their own turf.
    Ha! It has been a while, hasn't it? Play-by-post games drag on so long that they almost take a surrealist quality.
    "I kinda think I'm not supposed to go along with something that's wrong just to get food."

Spoiler: Play by Post Games
    Show
    x Through the Faerie Ring // PL + Progressing // 05/17 - Present
    x Chrono Isekai // PL + Progressing // 03/20 - Present
    x Lightning Rails and Whispers of the Vampire's Blade // DM + Completed // 05/17 - 08/18

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, it's like how a webcomic might have a few days take course over years of real time. Or in this case, a couple hours pass in the span of months.

11. - Top - End - #11

Quote Originally Posted by Necroticplague View Post
    Yeah, it's like how a webcomic might have a few days take course over years of real time. Or in this case, a couple hours pass in the span of months.
    Right, exactly! We do time skips in this game, which helps a little with that. Otherwise, if we went day by day... I think a week would've passed at most, and we've been playing for over a year already!
    "I kinda think I'm not supposed to go along with something that's wrong just to get food."

Show
    x Lightning Rails and Whispers of the Vampire's Blade // DM + Completed // 05/17 - 08/18

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Kulli Nahada is the longest running PBP character I've ever had, an Omwati Noble/Scoundrel in a SWSAGA game that ran ~5 years. She covered almost an entire week IC!

13. - Top - End - #13

Quote Originally Posted by whoiam View Post
    Kulli Nahada is the longest running PBP character I've ever had, an Omwati Noble/Scoundrel in a SWSAGA game that ran ~5 years. She covered almost an entire week IC!
    Oh, goodness. So much must have happened in-between the start and finish of the campaign... How did it feel, psychologically?

Show

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Frustrating, for the most part. Every time the game started building some momentum, half the party dropped. Then the DM would have to magic up some escape from our predicament that wouldn't kill the PCs whose players were still around. And then re-recruit. And then once we'd started getting up to speed again...

15. - Top - End - #15

Frustrating, for the most part. Every time the game started building some momentum, half the party dropped. Then the DM would have to magic up some escape from our predicament that wouldn't kill the PCs whose players were still around. And then re-recruit. And then once we'd started getting up to speed again...
    Ah, that's rough. And you stayed with the game for half a decade?

Show

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Well, let's take a look at the games I'm playing now:
    1. Aegis Tristalt (Renia's game) has had to call up two alternate players (the General and I), both in the first 3 months or so. The game itself is a little over 2 years old, and it's current lineup is nearing it's second anniversary together (at the end of next month). Currently sports 2 original players in a 4 PC party.
    2. Beyond Bubonic is almost 1 1/2 years old. We've lost 5 players to date, with only three of us having been with the game since the beginning, and half the party being recent recruits. Currently sports 3 original players in a 6 PC party.
    3. The Edge of Humanity (Alala's game) is just past it's first anniversary. We've had three players drop over that year (one of them twice!). Currently sports 4 original players in a 6 PC party (although one slot is currently unfilled)
    4. The Dragonslayer's Legacy (Balein's game) is just over 4 months old. We'd lost (and replaced) one player. The original player has re-appeared, so that PC may rejoin the party at a later date if we find ourselves short handed. Currently sports 4 original players in a 5 PC party.
    5. The Dragon Master (Dian's game) is a month and a half old. Moves pretty slowly, but in it's defence, that's exactly what the DM told us to expect. It is a reboot of an earlier game, with some of the original PCs carried over, so it either scores 5 original players in a 5 PC party, or 2 original players in a 5 PC party.
    6. The Garden of Corruption (Eos' game) just passed it's 1 month anniversary. Looks like it may be suffering a critical DM shortage already :( Still has all the original PCs, though. So it's still on 5/5.
    7. A Light in the Black (Sofia's game) is 2 1/2 months old. Like Renia, Sofia was the first alternate PC called up. There's also a replacement engineer due to appear at some point. Currently 3 original players out of a nominal 5.

Compared to those... well, the PC attrition rate was high, but not exceptionally so. We'd started out with an 8 player party in mid 2010 - I didn't become the last survivor until late 2012 (by which point the game had been running a touch under 2 1/2 years), and it finally died around the end of 2014. Aegis' Tristalt game makes it look unstable, but then, it makes nearly every game I've ever played look unstable. I'm pretty sure that Aegis013, Mousedigits, Silver Night, General Patton, and myself is the longest running line-up I've ever been a part of in any PBP game.
    Last edited by whoiam; 2016-10-18 at 02:43 AM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Ouch... looks like Bubonic has had the second highest player attrition rate... I honestly hope this game has been going somewhat the way you had thought it would since this was your idea originally.
    I'm honestly still looking for some more games to get into since I'm only GMing this one and being a player in one other. But I'm only familiar with D&D 3.5 and to some extent M&M 3...
    - Diamond Sword

Featured Homebrews:

Extended Homebrew Sig

Spoiler
    Show
    [roll]1d20+[/roll]
    [roll]1d6[/roll]
    [rollv]3d6[/rollv]
    [roll]4d6b3[/roll]

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, technically Sahael was the first replacement in the Tristalt game. Bluydee playing as Heracles had to drop almost immediately. My hype levels were so off the charts that I was still spectating and kind of imposed myself on the game with some posts in the OOC thread. In hindsight, it was a bit vulture-like how I jumped on that opportunity at the first sign of player-absence.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Ooh, I didn't know that part! List corrected to account for the General's crazy stalker approach to game acceptance

To my way of seeing things, the important part of a given game is that I have fun along the way. And I have been enjoying this one (much as I did that SAGA game... at least in the first few years). Ultimately what started annoying me about that game wasn't that we had to keep getting in new PCs, but rather the regularity with which plot progression had to be taken out of our hands to clear out the old ones (i.e. a succession of bridges getting dropped on the party, aimed carefully to prune out 2 or 3 at a time). Or at least that's the impression I had by the start of the fifth year.

20. - Top - End - #20

Sorry about the delay, everyone. The IC post took a lot longer than I thought.

Whether your characters notice the speech and personality change is up to you.

Show

21. - Top - End - #21

Beyond Bubonic is almost 1 1/2 years old. We've lost 5 players to date, with only three of us having been with the game since the beginning, and half the party being recent recruits. Currently sports 3 original players in a 6 PC party.
    True, true. U.U
    Compared to those... well, the PC attrition rate was high, but not exceptionally so. We'd started out with an 8 player party in mid 2010 - I didn't become the last survivor until late 2012 (by which point the game had been running a touch under 2 1/2 years), and it finally died around the end of 2014. Aegis' Tristalt game makes it look unstable, but then, it makes nearly every game I've ever played look unstable. I'm pretty sure that Aegis013, Mousedigits, Silver Night, General Patton, and myself is the longest running line-up I've ever been a part of in any PBP game.
    Oh, really? How long has that game lasted?
    I'm honestly still looking for some more games to get into since I'm only GMing this one and being a player in one other. But I'm only familiar with D&D 3.5 and to some extent M&M 3...
    You guys are so intense... I'm playing two games right now, and it's already a lot!

Show

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by TaiLiu View Post
    Oh, really? How long has that game lasted?
    ...As I said, it ran for 4 and a half years, from mid 2010 to late 2014.

You guys are so intense... I'm playing two games right now, and it's already a lot!
    On my part, that's mostly practice. When I was just starting out, I considered 3 or 4 at once to be *very* hard work. And now I'm in 7... and still vaguely keeping an eye out for somewhere I could slip Ascent-of-Man or Edana into...

Although I did still DM in those days, and I find playing to be far, far easier on an effort-per-game basis, so maybe it was just the DMing taking it out of me?

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

I can tell you now that I really like DMing so long as I have time to think about what's coming up next. Although I do realize and agree that it can be rather intensive.

@TaiLiu
    Nicely done IC. I'm interested in what shenanigans Dmitri will get into now.
    (But now I understand why it took so long. That was a huge wall of text.)
    - Diamond Sword

Featured Homebrews:

Extended Homebrew Sig

Spoiler
    Show
    [roll]1d20+[/roll]
    [roll]1d6[/roll]
    [rollv]3d6[/rollv]
    [roll]4d6b3[/roll]

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

I think it bears mentioning right now that either choice has its own benefits and consequences. Also, I deliberately gave each one of the newcomers a reason to hunt the party down/bump into them. Those reasons don't necessarily coincide nicely. So there really is no 'right' answer here. I'm interested to see how the party decides now that there's a more likely objective besides keeping your word to the survivors.
    - Diamond Sword

Featured Homebrews:

Extended Homebrew Sig

Spoiler
    Show
    [roll]1d20+[/roll]
    [roll]1d6[/roll]
    [rollv]3d6[/rollv]
    [roll]4d6b3[/roll]

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Sense Motive (1d20+2)[14]

26. - Top - End - #26

I guess returning to the city wins.
    ...As I said, it ran for 4 and a half years, from mid 2010 to late 2014.
    Hm? No, the game with Aegis013 et al.
    On my part, that's mostly practice. When I was just starting out, I considered 3 or 4 at once to be *very* hard work. And now I'm in 7... and still vaguely keeping an eye out for somewhere I could slip Ascent-of-Man or Edana into...

Although I did still DM in those days, and I find playing to be far, far easier on an effort-per-game basis, so maybe it was just the DMing taking it out of me?
    DMing is pretty intense!
    Nicely done IC. I'm interested in what shenanigans Dmitri will get into now.
    I'll send you a PM. Eventually.
    (But now I understand why it took so long. That was a huge wall of text.)
    Now, now. It's not a wall - I broke it into paragraphs, and those paragraphs into sections. Give me some credit here.

Show

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

I guess returning to the city wins.
    Well, there are two cities, so saying that is a bit vague. As far as I can see, the broad details of 'go to the far city, gather up those willing to leave, bring them back to city of hope as evidence the farther city exists' is the winning one, though the exact details of what to do once we get back are still a bit up in the air.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, I'll have a post up in 4-6 hours.

As for me being a crazy stalker about getting into games. That was a one time thing, and you'll totally get why. My expectations going into D&D were shaped by GitP and BrilliantGameologists. I learned everything on the internet, years before joining my first few games in meat-space. Games with people who think optimal casters are blasters and healbots, who don't know about the tier system and upon having it described think they can fiat it out of existence (might as well fiat 7 into not being prime), and who have to be thoroughly pestered before they'll consider homebrew or psionics. That's a lot of disappointment. So, the prospect of my first real game being a super high-powered game here amongst my brethren, that's just about everything I ever wanted.
    Last edited by General Patton; 2016-10-19 at 09:31 PM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Sorry it's a bit quite on my end. I'm just not sure what to do in a spot like this when the party is debating on where to go.
    So far I cannot tell which city you will go to first.
    - Diamond Sword

Featured Homebrews:

Extended Homebrew Sig

Spoiler
    Show
    [roll]1d20+[/roll]
    [roll]1d6[/roll]
    [rollv]3d6[/rollv]
    [roll]4d6b3[/roll]

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Sense Motive (1d20+12)[29]
    Sliver's Sense Motive (1d20+8)[27]

Edit: Good job future me, stealing the luck from past me.
    Last edited by General Patton; 2016-10-20 at 03:16 AM.