A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Page 1 of 18 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

d6 IC [4] Warriors of Blackvale

Rimander the Dark, Baron of Ft. Shieldtrap

In the two weeks since the trial of Ranger Galathan, much has changed in Westbow. The two great eastern defenses of the Barony fell, not to noble or gallant war, but to guile, trickery and bribery. Zanberon, the recently appointed Lord of Ashgrip Tower, forsook his oaths to Lord Halbrecht and threw his lot in with the invading Baron of Ft. Shieldtrap. As with her elven companion in the south, Lady Thodefa Knightsdaughter threw open the doors to Warmaxe Tower and freely bent her knee to Rimander the Dark. The city of Azbeta, still reeling from the attempted usurpation by the Romnid, fell in quick succession to the Knights of Pinewood, the mercenaries of the Viridian Foxes and the forces of Warmaxe and Ashgrip Towers.

All was not lost, however, as the village of Menkova was saved by the timely intervention of Lord Halbrect and Lady Lilyanna, at the head of a full wing of gryphon-riding knights. To add to the forces of Westbow, Lady Haug has purchased the services of a large mercenary company called the Trotting Gazelles. Their swiftness and the battle acumen of their leader - Captain Kidor Horak - saving the day at the Battle of the Lake. The men-at-arms of Hightower, Snowbrew Tower and Ft. Mastermore have been marshaled and sent to support the Baron. The forces in and around Vlastov have been put on alert but have otherwise not been mobilized. Thus far, the city's regular airship traffic has been unaffected by the war.

During this tumultuous time a powerful sorceress of the Dusk Ravens, Arna Blacksmithsdaughter, has come from Blackvale to aid her long-time friend and companion - Halbrecht. Using her mastery over the arcane and aided by Raka, Fare, Podley and Zid, she has forged a small but highly defensible tower that has come to be called the Raven. The Raven is the epicenter for the war effort, serving as Halbrecht's personal residence, the home of the North Ravens (Arna's Maghemian version of the Dusk Ravens), Commander Silith's temporary base of operations for the re-founded Rangers and the central church in High Priest Voj's Autumn March (a band of fanatical religious zealots devoted to protecting the Heroes of the Maw and Westbow).

The men-at-arms from Snowbrew Tower and Hightower, along with the Trotting Gazelles have laid siege to Azbeta but the town was resupplied and its defenses bolstered before the siege could begin. Bhalmur Palestone, Lord of Snowbrew Tower, estimates that it will be well into Winter before the defenders run out of supplies.

The Fangpaws, encouraged by their new Warchieftess - Ux - have swept across the southern hills like a plague and have even been spotted as far north as Sky Mount. Although the task is undisputedly arduous, Baroness Vera Krakova and her Horsemaidens have pledged to garrison the west and ensure its safety while the forces of the Barony march eastward. Silith's two proteges, Kindroth and Keishara, have been sent to and fro across the Southern Hills to help curb the gnoll advance and support the elves of Weselm.

The Raven

It is late in the eve on the 29th of Kesalma. The Heroes of the Maw are resting in the main hall of the Raven. It is a spartan affair as the war has put a damper on the collection and the commission of artwork. Still, Arna has tried her best to throw up a few tapestries she brought with her from Blackvale. One particularly large and impressive tapestry depicts the the King of Blackvale and the Duke of Blackrock riding atop powerful looking white chargers. Their lances are aimed square at a hapless looking wizard who is in the middle of casting a spell. The look of horror on the wizard's face is a mixture of both mild amusement and slight terror. Lady Haug has delivered a whole pig to the Raven, a feast of a meal meant to celebrate the Battle of the Lake, which saw the mercenary Captain Kidor Horak defeat a band of knights from Warmaxe Tower. The pork was cooked hastily, as the party never knows when they will need to next venture forth from the fort, as such the meat is over cooked in some places and under cooked in others. The table easily sits ten men along each side. The Heroes of the Maw and their friends feast upon the pork, potatoes and carrots for about a half hour before their meal is interrupted by shouting from outside.

Kindroth, one of the elven Rangers recruited by Silith, bursts into the room. As he does so, he yells, "Commander! My Lord! Commander! My Lady!" as he practically slips on a wet piece of tile, "Commander! We've captured a Gnoll! My Sister did it, an arrow straight to the beast's knee! The gnoll was scouting the Raven. She had a telescope and a journal! I cannot read her writing but I am sure she is a Fangpaw!"

Just as he finishes his explanation, two men-at-arms bearing the sigil of Hightower, drag the gnoll into the room. Her knee still has the arrow in it, blood spurting out.

Over in the corner of the hall sits the azure-colored homunculus on loan from the retired wizard Badko Starimuz rolls his eye, "She's getting blood every where! The unseen servants are going to complain about this, I tell you. No rest for the unseen! Always working, not one thought spared for them."

Assuming the most heavily armored female in the room is the leader, the gnoll stares at Lilyanna and demands, "Free me! You have no right to imprison me!" The gnoll's leather armor looks to be a patchwork of repairs enacted by a variety of less than skilled tradesman. Around her neck is a hempen necklace with a thick, uncut, ruby gem hanging off of it. He has a satchel, which is flung on the table by the one of the guards. "I say again, free me!" Her common is quite good for a gnoll, surprising, really, since mastery over the tongue is something that evades most of her race in Westbow.

Rrraj
    Last edited by Felhammer; 2016-10-31 at 09:41 PM.
    DMing:
    ❶ AGAINST THE GIANTS: IC | OOC

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: IC [4] Warriors of Blackvale

Halbrecht

*A week and a half earlier...*

Halbrecht looked out into the distance from the balcony atop the Raven's highest tower, his blue eyes piercing the evening fog. Turning to his left, a smile crossed his face as he saw who stood beside him.

Arna Blacksmithsdaughter, Dusk Raven, childhood friend, and now close ally.

"Our previous meeting was far too brief, Arna, as have been our correspondences. As such, I thought that, while time allowed, we needed to take one evening off, just to talk."
    Halbrecht strode over to a table and sat down. "Before we can talk of more pleasant things, however, we need to discuss business first. You have, of course, received my summaries before - and the exhortations to guard them, so that the world may know the truth should the worst happen. But this one, I shall deliver in person. I shall tell you the tale of the..."

Warriors of Blackvale

Spoiler: The Story So Far
    Show
    *summary will go here*

Table manners, Halbrecht had been taught, were an important part of eating like a nobleman. Likewise, eating quickly and efficiently was an important part of being a soldier. And in times like these, the former was forsaken for the latter, as Halbrecht - and his surrogate little brother pupil Starman beside him - dug into their meal in a manner that could charitably be likened to slavering wolves, not knowing if their repast would be interrupted.

As it turned out, it was not - but only just, for no sooner had swordsman and archer tidied themselves up than someone burst into the great hall - Kindroth, bringing news of a prisoner.

As the gnoll was dragged in, Halbrecht raised an eyebrow at her assertions that they had no right to imprison her.

"As Lord-Protector of Vlastov and Baron of Westbow, that is for me to decide. Who are you, and from which tribe do you hail?"

Barring anyone stopping him, Halbrecht picked up the satchel and took a glance inside, while, from his place at Halbrecht's side, Starman eyed the necklace.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Starman

Knowledge (Local) (to try and identify the significance of the necklace, if any): (1d20+12)[20]
    Last edited by Lord Of Mantas; 2016-10-11 at 12:21 AM.
    Everything dissolves into blue.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Starman
    Show
    You recognize it as a symbol of Vela, the elemental lord of fire. Some wayward fools call him a god but according to official scripture there are only four deities. Worship of any of the elemental lords is officially banned in Araland, their worshipers interrogated and made to see the error of their ways.

The gnolls scoffs, "You would question me like a common criminal while I bleed on the floor. Clearly what I have heard of Halbrecht the Uncaring is true. My name is Rrraj and I was once an Axepaw. I now serve a higher lord."

Spoiler: Hal
    Show
    Inside the stachel, you find a journal, a quill, some ink, a telescope, a dagger, two smoke bombs and a pouch of vials.
    Last edited by Felhammer; 2016-10-11 at 08:37 PM.
    DMing:

4. - Top - End - #4

Halbrecht

Halbrecht's face was unmoved at Rrraj's words.

"You will forgive my discourtesy, Rrraj, but your comrades have not exactly been the most hospitable to us or our men in recent days, either. Still..." Halbrecht turned his attention to her knee wound, and frowned upon spotting how much blood was seeping out. "That is quite the wound, actually. I'm surprised you've not bled out already."

He turned to Lilyanna and Fare, nodding toward Rrraj. "If one of you would be so kind as to patch her up?" He then turned back to the gnoll.

Starman then pulled down Halbrecht and whispered what he'd recognized into his ear. Once Rrraj's wound was treated, he resumed questioning, idly opening the journal and glancing through it as he spoke with the gnoll.

"There we are, much better. Now - your claim that we have no right to imprison you. Does this, by any chance, relate to the necklace of Vela you bear? Or something else? And who do you pledge allegiance to, if not the Axepaws?"

Show
    Let's try out that shiny new Diplomacy modifier. Hopefully, once Rrraj gets her leg wound sealed, she'll be a little more willing to talk.

Diplomacy: (1d20+15)[17]

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Lilyanna

Lilyanna watched the goings-on with quiet interest, though she held her piece when the gnoll addressed her. After the trial, she had become resistant to speaking out of turn, believing it was not for her to speak for her lord unless bidden.

"Of course, my lord," the Paladin replied, and moved toward the gnoll. "I wouldn't mind a look at that book, however. I can read gnoll," she added quietly to Halbrecht.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Lay On Hands! (5d6)[20]

Lilyanna does, in fact, have Gnoll as her other language.
    Many thanks to Ceika for the Custom Avatar!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Rrraj is very offended when Lilya comes over to heal her wound. The gnoll looks into Lilya's eyes and barks, "You let a MAN tell you what to do!? Disgusting."

The gnoll returns her attention to Hal, "I am chronicler. I record the legends, myths and history of the beastfolk. I have not sworn allegiance to any tribe. My duties transcend such petty notions." She grasps her necklace, "I worship Vela. As all Gnolls should. Through Vela, we maintain our lands and ensure our safety from the... Predations of no-furs."

Spoiler: Notebook
    Show
    Lilya flips through the book and finds that there are many drawings of the night sky, with particular care being given to what look like constellations and the movement of both the planets and the shields. There are also many stories and notes scrawled throughout the book. Most seem like stream of consciousness rather than anything coherent. You do see the name "Rhaszuhr Ragebear" written over and over again, especially in the margins.

Spoiler: Letter to Lilya
    Show
    Dear Daughter,

I congratulate you on your new position. You have done right by the Barony of Hightower and brought much honor back to our family. However, I cannot say I am pleased. Your decision has dragged the whole family into the war. Although we would have had to choose one side or the other eventually, your decision has forced our collective hands without the freedom to see how dedicated the two competing lords are to their respective causes. I pray you have made the right choice, for our family's destiny seems to be attached to this Halbrecht of Blackvale now.

I have sent the minimum amount of men-at-arms to aid this new Earl. I am keeping the rest of our family's vassals here at home. The worgs will be awakening soon and I wish to keep our lands free of their terror.

The other concern I have is the rise of the Fangpaw tribe. They have swept north like a storm, overwhelming our old Horsemaiden ally, as well as the Skypaws. One band of particularly blood thirsty gnolls penetrated our defenses around High Mount and attacked the Convent of Summer's Blaze. A priestess and three nuns were killed in the attack. They entered the inner sanctum of the Convent and stole the Cape of St. Marmara Kulkova. The cape, as you know, was donated to the Convent by the Kulkova family over a hundred years ago for our family's service in combating the forces of the unfaithful. That cape was a symbol of our family's preeminence in the region.

I have sent your bumbling buffoon of a cousin, Domir, to investigate the theft. I have also sent Sir Bedmond Vetnik to help him. Hopefully the knight can keep that fool pointed in the right direction...

If the buffoon should find himself in your company, I expect you to aid him as best you can. The recovery of the cape and winning of this war are our family's paramount concerns.

- Your father, the Baron of Hightower.

Last edited by Felhammer; 2016-10-12 at 08:43 PM.
    DMing:

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Silith

It had been a good two weeks. The events of Whitewillow left the ranger emotionally drained; the trial, the murders, the revelation, the awkward conversations... But now...

Silith shakes her head. It is the last night before the rangers return to their duties; Silith to the heroes of the Maw, and the elves to patrolling the lands. The three decided to have a quiet drink to celebrate a succesful week of scouting the lands outside the Raven. "Keishara, Kindroth, I'm happy that commander Levian sent you along to help out. There is no way I could do all this alone." She sighs. "I have to say, it's good to be doing ranger business again for a while. This whole heroing thing is incredibly draining, I can tell you that." The ranger takes a big swig of her ale, and smiles at the two elves at the table with her. "To be honest, I wish I could keep doing this for the next month or so. It's honestly relaxing, and you two are good company."

The ranger gets up, having finished her ale. "Unfortunately, I have to get back to heroing. And you two need to get out on patrol tomorrow. Without me, I'm afraid." A short pause. "Good luck tomorrow guys."

That night, despite her words, Silith finds herself actually looking forward to the next day. I haven't spoken to the others in two weeks. Weird. I didn't think I'd miss Hal and Aisha this much. And Fare, Raka, Zid... And Lilyanna. I should've never said what I did. But I can't undo it; I can only keep my distance. Should've done that from the start. Silith, you're an idiot.

The next day...

Silith is almost proud when Kindroth comes charging in with news of the captured gnoll. Have to remember to congratulate those two later. For now however, her attention is on the gnoll. She's relieved when Halbrecht takes control of the situation, since that means she can observe in relative peace. The ranger leans back, arms crossed, as she watches the situation unfold.
    Characters in play:

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

Lilyanna

"Insulting your healer isn't the most polite thing to do," the Paladin muttered. Rolling her eyes at the gnoll's rather blunt opinion, Lilyanna turned her attention to the book, noting especially the repetition of the name, "Rhaszuhr Ragebear."

After Halbrecht exchanged "pleasantries" with the gnoll, Lilyanna looked up from the notebook and asked a simple question, "Rrraj, who is Rhaszuhr Ragebear?"

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

The gnoll pays the paladin's backhanded comment no mind. Still looking at Halbrecht, she continues, "Rhaszuhr Ragebear was the greatest gnoll conqueror. He single-handedly destroyed the Pixie Kingdom of Rhahazenia, bested the strongest storm giants in feats of strength and butchered thousands of humans from Hookblade Isle. He was the single greatest gnoll to ever live. Also, one of the worst individuals to ever grace the world with his unfortunate presence."
    Last edited by Felhammer; 2016-10-13 at 11:53 PM.
    DMing:

10. - Top - End - #10

Halbrecht

Spoiler: Sense Motive
    Show
    From what I can tell Rrraj appears to be on the straight and narrow, but I think we learned a lesson about not rolling SM all the time after we got tricked by the ranger-traitor's son.

Hal's Sense Motive: (1d20+14)[25]
    Starman's Sense Motive: (1d20+13)[31]

In particular, he wants to know whether or not she's telling the truth about not being affiliated with any one tribe.

Halbrecht raised an eyebrow as Rrraj described Ragebear.

"Seems a little strange to describe someone as the greatest gnoll to ever live and one of the worst individuals - unless you're using different norms for those two sentences. Which leads to my next question: Why mention him? And, getting back on topic here - it was said that you were spotted scouting out this Castle. What did you intend to do with that information?"

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

Raka

Raka had had a restless two weeks. Between her frustration with her (former?) patron giving her the silent treatment, and wanting to go out after the evil paladin, while having little to no idea of where to start. Raka hated feeling helpless, and she'd spent a fair amount of time feeling helpless lately. Hopefully with her new gear, Raka would be able to fix that.

HEaring the commotion, Raka hurried to meet up with the others. Once she arrived, Raka took a moment to just watch and observe before deciding on a course of action.
    Avatar of Lukas Stormlord the Paladin done by the Lovely Ceika!

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Rrraj looks to the ceiling and sighs, "Rhaszuhr Ragebear is a hero among the gnolls. He is revered like a god." Sneaking a glance at Lilya, she comments, "I did not bring him up, your wench did." Turning back to the lord, "I am a chronicler. If I am to pen the story that is to come, my notes must be accurate. I must know how the stars and planets move, I must know the comings and goings of this castle, I must know how the wind rustles the leaves. The more I study, the better my writing will be."

Spoiler: Sense Motive
    Show
    She seems on the up and up. More annoyed about being detained than anything else.
    DMing:

13. - Top - End - #13
    Bugbear in the Playground

Fare

Fare has been quiet--well, not much more than usual--since the events of the trial. The emotional exhaustion that caught up with her there has been lingering ever since, not to mention the war being raged on several sides right now weighing in. And the Yasgaram priestess... Is Raevbrea really gone? Considering everything else, though, that part had gone surprisingly smoothly. Surprisingly.

Fare's brought back to the present when the two elves unceremoniously drag in the wounded gnoll. As Halbrecht questions the gnoll, she turns in her chair and considers the scene.

Show
    Is Rrraj really a chronicler? Sense Motive: (1d20+18)[35]

14. - Top - End - #14

Halbrecht

Halbrecht frowned as Rrraj referred to Lilyanna as his "wench".

"Dame Berngard is not my 'wench', Rrraj - she is my bodyguard and comrade-in-arms, among other responsibilities. And besides which, this is a war tower, not a seedy docks tavern. Now, as for your studies and writings..."

Halbrecht leaned forward.

"As far as I can tell, I have no reason to suspect that you have been anything but honest with me. But, here's the thing. This castle is kind of an important place. And though you claim no allegiance to any of the tribes, it would be rather foolish of me to allow to leave here with what you've gathered, and risk word of our weaknesses falling into the hands of one of the tribes opposing Westbow."

Halbrecht stood.

"So. Here's the deal. Until this situation with the gnolls is resolved, and the civil war brought to an end, you will have to remain either within the walls of this keep, or else at the side of me and my fellows. Until that time..."
    Gesturing to Lilyanna to hand the journal back over, Halbrecht placed it back in the satchel and handed it back over to her. "As long as that is the case, however, you will be free to roam about within its bounds and, as you put it, 'record the comings and goings of the castle' as well as our own acts as a party. And once it is done, I will allow you to go free. Do we have an accord?"

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Operating under the assumption that Rrraj is meant to become part of the main cast, here's the most IC way of getting that to happen.
    Last edited by Lord Of Mantas; 2016-10-15 at 12:35 AM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

"Call her what you will but a woman who bends her knee to a man, is a woman who has lost all respect in the eyes of her peers. Women are proud, noble and gifted. Your society does them a great disservice by shackling them in the bonds of servitude. Any woman who freely accepts such shackles has lost all right to call herself a woman. She has become a lowly, disgusting, petty, vile man. No, she is worse than a man for men did not choose to be born as such. Women who forsake their natural place in society are reprobates."

As Halbrecht continued his lecture, Rrraj slams her fist down on the table with great force. Snarling, she responds, "No! You dare turn me into a reprobate!? You disgusting, loathsome man. I have a duty to my god and to my people. I am the chronicler who will write the foundational legend of the Age of Vivication!"

She grabs her journal and flips to a page in the middle. She flings it over to the Earl. Upon the page is a constellation that looks like an arched bridge. Upon the bridge are three circles - a grey one, a red one and a brown one. Near the bridge is a constellation that looks like a gnoll warrior wielding two great axes.

"Do you not see!? Iath, Rhy and Mrih have found themselves together. They are guiding Rhaszuhr Ragebear across the bridge of Trraes! This is a once-in-a-thousand-year event. The Great Conqueror shall arise once more and bathe the Isle in blood."

Spoiler: Fare
    Show
    Although you do not call them Iath, Rhy and Mrih, you recognize them as the Eventide Tears - the strange stars that move across the night sky that do not obey the laws that the rest follow. They are independent and move to the beat of their own drummer. The Eventide Tears exert a great influence over the ley lines that cover the Amethyst Isles. The closer the Eventide Tears are, the more potent the ley lines become, the more distant they are, the weaker the ley lines become. When gathered together in groups, their potency increases by orders of magnitude.

There are five known Eventide Tears:

• Cior: The Grey
    • Cald: The Red
    • Rai: The Brown
    • Ochta: The Large
    • Al: The Fast
    • Ainn: The Wrong

DMing:

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Silith

Silith looks at Halbrecht and arches a brow. "Halbrecht. Considering the whole situation with the gnolls, do you really think it is a good idea to let one roam the castle freely? People will talk, as they always do." The ranger eyes Rrraj. "So you're saying that there's a great conqueror underway who's going to murder his way across the isles? I'm afraid he'll have to get in line." Silith shakes her head and goes silent again.
    Characters in play:

17. - Top - End - #17

Halbrecht

Halbrecht looked back at Silith. "True enough, but then again, as we've seen, people will say things no matter what. In a perfect world, I would simply opt to let her go, but then we run the risk of that coming back to bite us later. And simply locking her up would be completely unwarranted - hence the middle ground. Compromise is the soul of negotiation, and whatnot."

He then looked back to Rrraj.

"Unless, of course, you can offer some sort of assurance - or insurance - that you will not let this info fall into the hands of the opposition until this is over. And what you know about Ragebear's rise - for you see, my friends and I have a duty to prevent murderous rampages across the islands. We have enough war and bloodshed already, and I have no desire to see any more. That would be my condition to let you go free."

Show
    Diplomacy (to try and persuade Rrraj to compromise a little): (1d20+15)[32]
    Last edited by Lord Of Mantas; 2016-10-15 at 09:03 AM.

18. - Top - End - #18

Fare

Fare frowns, and finally rises from her seat to get a better look. "Iath, Rhy, and Mrih?" The unfamiliar names sound wrong on her tongue, but the chart is recognizable. "And they'll bring Rhaszhur back across the stars." She looks thoughtful, then glances at the others. "We know them as the Eventide Tears, by the way. They correspond to the power of...well, let's just call them the ley lines. Groupings mean that much more power. And maybe strange events."

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Aisha

The silver haired woman had kept quiet watching quietly as the Gnoll was spoken to primarily by Halbrecht. She heard her tone seemingly disproving of Lilya being subservient to Halbrecht. She perked an eye brow a little bit surprised by such a remark. It was strange how some societies seemed to show such a view upon gender. When it came to dragons it typically relied primarily upon age and the expected wisdom one possessed often through age. Generally silver dragons kept very much independent, much of their work involving cooperation together. Whether one could produce offspring wasn't remotely even considered in such affairs.

She looked over towards Halbrecht giving a nod. "Any bloodshed is a waste. Any being who sees death as their end goal is nothing but wicked and deserves no respect." She spoke keeping her arms crossed resting against the wall looking to the gnoll. While she wasn't fond of her view on things, she wasn't exactly liking the idea of having to keep her prisoner either. If she was just writing about things she saw no reason to keep her captive. Still, she had grown to know better then to just judge things that simply. As Halbrecht mentioned the details could easily be used against them as well.
    Peeking back in after a long break.

Avatar by the Awesome Ceika of my character Aisha Silverlight. :)

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

You speak of treachery when you are the one who has shot me!? You speak of your petty war when I speak of the great Conqueror rising from his grave for his once-in-a-thousand-year blood bath!? You are a worse fool than I could ever have imagined. Idiot! You simple minded MAN! " The woman throws up her hands in frustration! I am a chronicler. My duty to the future is to scribe everything I see. I cannot do that if I am shackled in your dungeon, nor can I do that if I cam bound to be your wench-servant-whore-prisoner!

The gnoll calms when she hears the Druid speak, "Yes! Yes! she speaks the truth! Vela be praised that a true woman is here to listen to reason! Yes, the Eventide Tears. They do not follow the predictable movements of the other stars. They wander around the sky, forging their own path! They influence the ley lines of this world. Making them stronger and weaker. When two or more gather, their effect is multiplied greatly! When Iath, Rhy and Mrih cross the Bridge of Trraes, the Blood Bringer will return to unlife in order to slay mortals so as to engorge the Amulet of Trraes with the souls of the fallen. So it has been for five thousand years, so shall it be for thousands more."

If you do not believe me, tell the elves-who-cannot-shoot-straight to go to Mt. Moi! You will see the shamans have gathered there!"
    Last edited by Felhammer; 2016-10-16 at 01:22 AM.
    DMing:

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

Lilyanna

"When you are brought before someone who has power over your life, it is wise to be polite, Chronicler Rrraj, no matter how much contempt you have for their customs and ways. A lesser man than Halbrecht would have thrown you in the dungeon - or simply slain you - before hearing your words. Indeed, there are some in this country who take no thought to the lives of gnolls and would slaughter them as beasts. Baron Halbrecht is not one of these, so I beg you, show some measure of respect, or at the very least an appreciation of your position." The Paladin once again took her position next to Halbrecht. "With such a high view of men, it's a wonder they have any children," Lilyanna murmured just loud enough for him to hear. "Best to find out what, exactly, it is she wants. If it is reasonable, I see no reason to hold her. Rude as she is, I do not think she is any danger on her own. The danger comes if she were to be captured and forced to give information that could hurt us, but that same danger is before all of us - we cannot make her pay a penalty for that, I suppose."

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

The gnoll grunts, "Perhaps I would be more inclined to civility had your men not shot me like an animal and dragged me over a mile through the bramble and brush, bleeding the whole way here. Perhaps I would be more polite if I was not being asked to accept my own imprisonment with a smile."

Rrraj then looks to Halbrecht, "I do not mean to be rude. I am just frustrated, as any would be given my predicament."
    Last edited by Felhammer; 2016-10-17 at 04:30 PM.
    DMing:

23. - Top - End - #23

Halbrecht

Halbrecht nodded, a look of understanding on his face. "Which is perfectly understandable."

"But, then again, you spoke of Mt. Moi, and the Amulet of Trraes - all things connected to Ragebear's return. All important information. As such, my second offer stands - tell us anything else you know about Ragebear's return, and I'll let you go, completely free. No strings attached, and an apology for this whole affair included."
    Last edited by Lord Of Mantas; 2016-10-18 at 12:25 AM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

A thousand years ago, Ragebear awoke on Hookblade Isle. Having had his fill of the isle a thousand years prior, he sailed north to what is now Blackvale. Finding few worthy opponents, Ragebear trekked north over the Snowall Mountains and returned home to the primordial forests of Shehz. There inside, he found many worthy opponents including Cloud Giants, Moosemen and Harpies. He gathered to his banner the ten Gnoll tribes who called Shehz home and began a bloody campaign to exterminate the Giants, Harpies and Moosemen.

The gnolls were savage in their butchery, slaughtering scores of foes in their deadly raids. Hundreds had died. It very much looked like Shehz would become the domain of Gnolls...

Until a nameless elven maiden rose up to counter the gnolls. She was as tall as an orc and as powerful as a mooseman. She wielded a great pickaxe that was said to have been forged from the canine of a silver dragon.

The Conqueror watched in horror as his raiding parties were defeated with ease by this elven woman. Ragebear thus sent his ten greatest champions - the Chieftesses of each of the ten tribes - out one at a time to challenge the maiden. The elf slew each champion in turn, without breaking a sweat.

She then climbed to the peak of Mt. Moi and challenged the Conqueror himself. Ragebear could not refuse such a worthy opponent.

The shamans and storytellers say the battle lasted over three days and pushed each combatant to the edge of utter exhaustion. It is said Ragebear slipped on a bit of loose rubble and with that single mistake, the elven maiden buried her pickax in the gnoll's skull.

The elf left the corpse at the summit of the mountain. She ordered the gnolls to disperse and thus peace returned to the Shehz. The elven maiden drifted off into obscurity after that, never to be heard from or seen again.

That was a thousand years ago, the last time that Iath, Rhy and Mrih cross the Bridge of Trraes and brought Ragebear back to life.

The amulet was created by a Lich named Trraes, who is far more ancient and malevolent than Ragebear. Unfortunately, the gnolls do not know much of this Lich, for he came from a distant isle. His history and motivation are shrouded in the fog of history.

With all the turmoil caused by the Romnid, many of my people seek a great champion to save and lead them. The more militant among us believe Ragebear can kill all of the no-furs and return this land to its rightful owners - the Gnolls. The shamans of the remaining tribes have gathered to pray for his return and ensure the monster rises from the grave...
    DMing:

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Silith

Silith listens to the tale in silence, occasionally arching a brow. She leans over to Fare and whispers. "You've heard this tale before? If this is true... we need to stop that from happening."
    Characters in play:

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

The chronicler shakes her head as she looks at the ceiling, I do not believe any of you are capable of stopping the Conqueror. Only the Elven Maiden or someone wielding her legendary pickax - Ai'shakonkordha - can possibly stand a chance. Even then... This land may just become the Shehz once more.
    Last edited by Felhammer; 2016-10-18 at 03:45 PM.
    DMing:

27. - Top - End - #27

Halbrecht

"Do you have any idea where the pickaxe would be hidden? Or any other clues about it?"

*** Regardless of her answering yes or no... ***

Halbrecht sighed.

As if the war wasn't enough...

"Well, Rrraj... You've held up your end of the bargain. Now I hold up mine. On behalf of myself and all those involved, I would like to apologize for your capture, and that you were wounded in the process. I also thank you for informing me and the others about Ragebear - if any of this is even slightly true, then it must be dealt with, and soon."

He then swept his arm outward, and brought her satchel and belongings forward.

"You are now free to leave the castle in peace. Be careful out there."

28. - Top - End - #28

Fare

Quote Originally Posted by BramsesII View Post
    "You've heard this tale before? If this is true... we need to stop that from happening."
    Fare has been listening intently to Rrraj's words. "Sorry, no, this isn't ley-line-stars and this also isn't Blackvale so..." She makes a small, vague gesture that could be a shrug. "But in any case I agree. Ragebear...I'd rather not meet." The druid rubs her forhead. "And it's not like we can change the Tears. And anyway if we somehow could I feel there'd be worse consequences." She trails off.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

"Actually, I do know where the pickaxe was laid to rest but... It is sealed away. You would need two keys in order to enter the tomb. The first key is currently housed at the Convent of Summer's Blaze. I was headed there after I was done surveying the Raven. I was going to beseech the nuns to allow me to borrow the Cape of St. Marmara Kulkova so that I could open the tomb."
    Last edited by Felhammer; 2016-10-19 at 02:45 AM.
    DMing:

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

Lilyanna

"Ah, that's going to be a bit of a problem," the Paladin sighed. "I received a letter from my father the other day. This seems as a good a time to bring it up. According to him, a band of the Fangpaw tribe swept through my family's defenses around Highmount and raided the Convent of Summer's Blaze. Sadly, a priestess and three nuns were murdered and the Cape of St. Marmara Kulkova was stolen." Gritting her teeth, she continued on, "Domir, one of my cousins, is on the trail and accompanied by one Sir Bedmond Vetnik. Reading between the lines, I believe my father wants us to aid them in the Cape's recovery."
    Last edited by Othniel; 2016-10-20 at 12:23 PM.