Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 50 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Default Warhammer 40K Tabletop XXVII: Tyranids Finally Found A Friend

**8th Edition is coming in Q2, 2017. It is unwise to start a new army at this time.**

Warhammer 40,000 in the Playground

I'm new to the hobby. Which army should I start?
    It really depends on what you want to play. And how your meta-game shapes up. Find out what everyone else is playing near you, and play anything not those armies for best results. Otherwise, if you're starting from scratch with no-one really to play with - or, you've got a friend who is also starting from scratch - buy the Dark Vengeance starter box.

What's Dark Vengeance?
    Dark Vengeance contains a rulebook and a bunch of dice.

It contains roughly 850 Points worth of Dark Angels. However, it only contains around 500 points worth of Chaos Space Marines. Of course, if you're playing DV as it's meant to be played, you're never using all of the models at once so the points difference doesn't really matter.

However, in practical terms, the Dark Angels are only barely legal and lack enough Scoring models. And, while the CSMs are legal, they're almost 300 points behind and lack anything that packs a decent punch. You will also need the relevant Codecies for your faction as it will dramatically change the way you play the game as opposed to using the reference sheets that come with DV.

How much does it cost?
    The Dark Vengeance box, one Codex, one other box of your choosing, and a Starter Paint Set costs you about the same as a Playstation 3 and one game*. In both cases, you'd be good to go for about a month. This author thinks of most boxes as console games, and Flyers and Land Raiders are the AAA-Title Collector's Edition game. The difference being that in this hobby you can use all your 'games' at the same time, and continuously.

Is WH40K expensive? Yes. I suppose it is. We all know it is. But, practically speaking, it's no more expensive than any other hobby.

*Priced in $AU where everything is more expensive - although the ratios should be the same.

Okay, I've got everything. What next?
    Play some games. Playing some actual games, is a far, far better learning experience than anything you could glean from the internet. Although we really would appreciate some stories and how you're finding your army.
    Find out what works for you, find out what doesn't (just because the internet likes something, doesn't mean you will too). You, more than anyone know who your opponents are and what they're putting on the table. You are in the best position to find out what you need to bring to the table.

However, if you're still stuck. Just ask.

How many points do I need? What size board do I need?
    There are ways that you can play 200, 400 and 500 point games using altered rules. But, if you want to play the game as-is, the recommended minimum is 750.

The game 'balances out' at 1500. Most games should be played at this level since pretty much all armies get a fair shake.

However, in other meta-games, find out what the local tournament standard is. Most people in your area should be playing at that points level. While you're at it, here's How to write an army list.

As for board size; a 4x4' table can accommodate up to 1250 with reasonable room left for movement. But, after that you should probably look at finding a 6x4' area. The floor is never a bad start.

I did what you said and I still lost. What gives?
    First, this game is all about dice. Dice are random (most of the time anyway), sometimes you just get bad rolls all game and there's nothing you can really do about it. It's best to accept it, otherwise you're not going to have a very fun time.

Sometimes your opponent can make a minor change in his list - like changing from Plasma Cannons to Lascannons. That can totally alter the flow of the game and what happens when they next play you.

Sometimes the terrain placement is just bad (or the terrain itself is bad) and right from Deployment you can find yourself getting shot at and there's nothing you can do about it. Really, this can only stress how important terrain can be to how the game gets played.

And, lastly, maybe you just 'did it wrong'? Maybe you used [X] to shoot [Y] when they should have been shooting [Z]. Maybe you Charged, when the better move could have been moving backwards and Rapid Firing instead? There are all sorts of ways you can be out-played. You didn't just lose because your opponents' Queens are overpowered.

Terrain? You said this hobby was only as expensive as any other.
    Yes and no. Most of your 'starting' terrain can be household items. Books. Soda-cans. Small boxes. Whatever.

If you look around the internet, you can also find a few tutorials on how to make some really decent-looking terrain. Made out of what you essentially would have otherwise thrown in the bin.

Only GW Terrain actually costs you any significant money. Making your own should only cost a few dollars tops - and your time and effort.

How much terrain do I need?
    Up to 12 pieces is the official word. However, that can get crowded pretty fast if you've got big pieces.

A better guide is roughly anywhere between 25-33% of the board should be covered by terrain. On a standard 6x4' table, you would want anywhere between 6-8' square of terrain. It seems like a lot. But if you divide that up to 7-12 pieces, it doesn't look like much. Or you could just put a 2x3' block in the centre of the board.

I don't like using Special Characters, and I think Allies are dumb.
    Your opponents probably don't. Special Characters are pretty powerful and there's no real reason that you shouldn't be using them if your opponents are. That's not to say that all Special Characters are good - they aren't - and certainly don't get the impression that just because it's a Special Character that you need to use it - you don't. But some of them are still good and they do make certain armies a lot better.

However, Allies, on the other hand. Are often a required part of the game. Some armies just don't have the units required to fend off other units. Does this make the game unfair? Kind of. But, GW doesn't update their entire range at once (it's a big range), and so some units are always going to be better than others. But, allowing Allies is a big step to evening the playing field.

So which Allies should I pick?
    Depends on your army, and what units you already have. Ask in the thread.

I can't paint.
    Like any skill worth having, you get better if you practice. 90% of a good paint job is just brush control - how much paint you put on your brush and where you put it. The other 10% is just colour theory (yeah, it's a thing). The most important tool this author has is a $5 Colour Wheel.

But, on a more serious note, the only real reason that you need to paint is if you want to participate in tournaments. Well, that and painted models just look better - if you've practised, of course.

Unfortunately, painting is a practical skill, not knowledge. The only person who can get you better at painting is you. Wraith has put together how you can go about Painting your army without losing your mind.

Which army is the best?
    That's a loaded question. It depends what points limit you're playing at (at 1500 there really isn't one). But, there is no 'best' army. Plasma beats Terminators beats Mech beats Plasma. 40K is much like Rock, Paper, Scissors. None of the armies are 'best', as each army can be countered. Some armies are better than others, but there is no 'best'.

However, as you play the game you will notice that your Codex doesn't have the units that beat another Codex. That's not to say that you haven't won any games, and it's not to say that your opponents' armies haven't lost several games to armies that just aren't yours. It just means that your army can't beat your opponent's army with what you've got available to you. That's why Allies need to be in the game.

Wait, so there are bad Codecies?
    Yes. But, every Codex should be usable between 1000-1500 points. So, no matter what army you pick, you'll be okay within those points limits, or, you should be. If you find that your Codex/Army isn't doing well against certain opponents, and there's nothing you can do; You may need Allies.

Helpful Army Building Guides

Previous Threads

Here's a bunch of Battle Reports for you to read. Plenty of army lists in there.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2016-12-19 at 09:16 PM.
    Steam Name: Cheesegear
    League of Legends Name: Cheesegear
    You can fight like a krogan or run like a leopard but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan View Post
    Cheesegear; Lovable Thesaurus ItP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Cheesegear, have I told you yet that you're awesome?
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatShield#236 View Post
    ALL HAIL LORD CHEESEGEAR! Cheese for the cheesegear!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shas'aia Toriia View Post
    Cheesegear is awesome

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Warhammer 40K Tabletop XXVII: Tyranids Finally Found A Friend

*continues to froth at the mouth at the thought of plastic sisters*
    Friend Code: 4656 - 7046 - 4968
    Gamertag: Taejix
    Tumblr: http://taejix.tumblr.com/

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

So rumors of 8th are basically that it's going to be a big change. I've seen at least one statement saying not as big as AoS was to Fantasy, but we will see. Overall, I don't like 7th, so I'm hopeful.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Continue the theme of things carrying from the previous thread -

Fixing the Dark Eldar: How would these tweaks work for making Dark Eldar more competitive amoung friends:

Add phantasm grenades to the default gear of all DE units that need it.

Hit the Ground Running: Understanding the importance of speed in a raid, Dark Eldar will often jump out of speeding vehicles to get into melee that much quicker. Breaking their fall (and sometimes their neck) with a roll, the screaming sadists pounce upon their enemies, letting the pain flow.
    Any infantry model from the Dark Eldar codex may disembark from a vehicle that has flat-outed in the shooting phase. Any unit that does so much test for difficult terrain. In all other instances, use the regular rules for disembarking units.

Steady Aim: Use to firing from swearing vehicles in both the entrance and exit parts of their raid, Dark Elder can aim better than most in such circumstance. Whenever a model from the Dark Elder codex is snapfiring from having jinked or being embarked upon a vehicle which jinked, they may resolve their shooting at BS 2 rather than 1. They may still not use template weapons, and if another effect would cause them to snap fire then they must do so as described in the rule book. Reavers instead fire at their full ballistic skill, but otherwise follow the same restrictions.

And just to give a minor drawback to go with these bonuses that shouldn't adversely effect them too much (in that if this rule triggers they are already in trouble) -

Quick to Fall: Dark Eldar rely on ending combat with a decisive blow before the opponent is even aware what has happened, and tend to get itchy around an opponent that doesn't go down fast. If a unit from the Dark Eldar codex ever needs to make a leadership test as a result of losing combat, they roll 3d6 and discard the lowest.

Would that work?
    "It doesn't matter how much you struggle or strive,
    You'll never get out of life alive,
    So please kill yourself and save this land,
    And your last mission is to spread my command,"

Slightly adapted quote from X-Fusion, Please Kill Yourself

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Boci View Post

Fixing the Dark Eldar: How would these tweaks work for making Dark Eldar more competitive amoung friends:

Hit the Ground Running: Understanding the importance of speed in a raid, Dark Eldar will often jump out of speeding vehicles to get into melee that much quicker. Breaking their fall (and sometimes their neck) with a roll, the screaming sadists pounce upon their enemies, letting the pain flow.
    Any infantry model from the Dark Eldar codex may disembark from a vehicle that has flat-outed in the shooting phase. Any unit that does so much test for difficult terrain. In all other instances, use the regular rules for disembarking units.

Steady Aim: Use to firing from swearing vehicles in both the entrance and exit parts of their raid, Dark Elder can aim better than most in such circumstance. Whenever a model from the Dark Elder codex is snapfiring from having jinked or being embarked upon a vehicle which jinked, they may resolve their shooting at BS 2 rather than 1. They may still not use template weapons, and if another effect would cause them to snap fire then they must do so as described in the rule book. Reavers instead fire at their full ballistic skill, but otherwise follow the same restrictions.

And just to give a minor drawback to go with these bonuses that shouldn't adversely effect them too much (in that if this rule triggers they are already in trouble) -

Quick to Fall: Dark Eldar rely on ending combat with a decisive blow before the opponent is even aware what has happened, and tend to get itchy around an opponent that doesn't go down fast. If a unit from the Dark Eldar codex ever needs to make a leadership test as a result of losing combat, they roll 3d6 and discard the lowest.

Would that work?
    I would change Hit the Ground Running to 12 inches instead, and I would completely eliminate the first turn of Power from Pain. They should start with the 6+ FNP, because it still doesn't make all that big of a difference.

Quick to Fall is actually brutal. It's not that hard to lose combat, and they don't have that high of a leadership.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

So I recently started playing with one of my friends - I do Orks, he does CSM. I am convinced his dice have an unbridled hatred for my vehicles.

As in, his dice, every time he scores a penetrating hit on them, roll sixes. He is four for four on blowing up my stuff with this.

Tzeentch is a ****.
    Punster, straight as an aro, collector of hats.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Any plan to link the new thread in the old one?

And Citation Please for the great big warning at the top of the first post.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Presumably you mean Plasma grenades, since Phantasm grenades are never needed, and would not be a good thing to have on every unit (and I don't mean that in a 'you wouldn't want to' way).
    So... You like 30+2d6" charge range? We can go back to the bad old days, where Dark Eldar either instantly won the game or instantly lost based entirely on whether they got the first turn or not? This is a terrible idea, without fail. Either let them disembark after moving 12", if you feel that allowing the possibility of turn 1 charges is extremely important to you, or just make their melee units better so you don't need to be able to turn 1 charge every unit in the enemy army for them to not suck.
    Just let them shoot at full BS. It wasn't OP when they could do it before and it wouldn't be OP now.
    Avatar by the wonderful SubLimePie. Former avatar by Andraste.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

There's something strange
    In the underhive
    Who ya gonna call?
    Death Watch!
    Past Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

By Alterform

Spoiler
    Show
    Lore: 7.

Factors: 2.

Wealth: 5

Magic: 4

Espionage: 4

Military: 2.

Faith: 6.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Brookshw View Post
    I tried out kill team at ye olde local gaming store but the guy demoing it didn't seem entirely familiar with the a few of the rules.

When your army is down by 50% of the models, then every turn you make a leadership test per model to see if it leaves the fight, correct? So per model and per turn once you hit 50?
    Moving over this question from previous thread.

Is it just my brief experience or does this moral rule screw over orks or other armies with low leadership and where the mitigation is in multitudes?
    Quote Originally Posted by Vedhin View Post
    As always, the planes prove to be awesomer than I expected.
    Quote Originally Posted by jedipotter View Post
    Logic just does not fit in with the real world. And only the guilty throw fallacy's around.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

Is it just my brief experience or does this moral rule screw over orks or other armies with low leadership and where the mitigation is in multitudes?
    Wouldn't it (theoretically) be more difficult to get them down to that 50% point in the first place, if you are bringing multitudes of cheap units?
    The stars predict tomorrow you'll wake up, do a bunch of stuff, and then go back to sleep.~ That's your horoscope for today.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Yes and yes. The idea being that it's difficult to kill a sufficient amount of mooks before they reach combat and chop you up, in addition to using your leaders ld within 6" and, if you have read Cheesegears guide, you're leader hopefully has fearless, so you won't have to check at all. Who it really screws over is moderate ld "elite" armies who bring an average number of troops who have no special defences and have average to poor ld.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Drasius View Post
    Yes and yes. The idea being that it's difficult to kill a sufficient amount of mooks before they reach combat and chop you up, in addition to using your leaders ld within 6" and, if you have read Cheesegears guide, you're leader hopefully has fearless, so you won't have to check at all. Who it really screws over is moderate ld "elite" armies who bring an average number of troops who have no special defences and have average to poor ld.
    Fair point and thanks for confirming. Speaking of Cheese's guide, I didn't notice it in the army guides in the first post, thought I'd mention it as it could be a useful reference to put in.
    Logic just does not fit in with the real world. And only the guilty throw fallacy's around.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Yes.

Boyz: They have the option to take 4+ Armour, so they should. Unfortunately, this puts them at 10 points a model, plus a Nob with Power Klaw (and/or Kombi-Skorcha), and a Rokkit is going to set you back ~130 Points. Luckily, this does leave room for Tankbustas or Warbikers. Of course, you can always not take the 'Eavy Armour, but if you're doing that, you're going all in with over 20 models. Your opponent doesn't have enough bullets for them all. Remembering that aside from Rending Volley (kill any model with this rule ASAP), each model can only kill one model per turn.

Gretchin: No.

Burna Boyz: No.

Tankbustas: If you go first, you get an extra VP. Bomb Squigs hit on 2+ (give whoever has the Bomb Squigs, Ignores Cover), and they all carry Rokkits. They're very, very strong in the Kill Team format...Providing that you go first. Since there's no competition in the Elites slot, at minimum buy-in, they're 65 Points, and that's pretty good. As with all things Orky, their 6+ no Save is going to get them killed really, really fast. Either you go all-in on Tankbustas, and build your entire Kill Team around them, or you take the minimum 65 Points, to get five Rokkits into your Team.
    (Boyz [x10]; Nob w/Power Klaw & Tankbustas [x5] = Only 160, but all your dudes have 6+ no Save)

Nobz: Take the 4+ Armour (or a Warbike). At 21 Points per model, they do...Fine. 2 Wounds is a lot in Kill Team. But, it's just not good enough. x3 Warbiker Nobz will set you back 135 Points, unfortunately, this does take your Elite slot, which means no Tankbustas, so you'll either have to fill out your numbers with Boyz with a 6+ no Save, or something from Fast. Hint; Choose something from Fast.

Kommandos: Infiltrate is good, but not if the model only has a 6+ no Save. Sensing a pattern?
    - Snikrot: 60 Points for a single model with a 6+ no Save is simply too much.

Trukk: Tank Bustas can porcupine out of one. Just remember that a Trukk is not a Land Speeder Storm, and the fact that a Trukk is Open-Topped means all your 6+ no Save dudes will die to Templates, unlike SM Scouts, who have 4+ Armour and only die to Heavy Flamers.

Stormboyz: At 9 Points a model, they've traded their 'Eavy Armour for Jump Packs. This actually isn't a bad trade, especially if you take, like...15 of them. The appeal of Stormboyz is that your opponent simply isn't going to have enough bullets to kill them all, before they Charge on Turn 2. Cover is God-mode in Kill Team, and, unfortunately, that means making Dangerous Terrain checks with your Boyz...Who only have 6+ no Save. It's entirely possible that your Stormboyz can give up First Blood because one of them broke their ankle. It looks like the minimum buy-in for Stormboyz is 45 Points...But it's actually more like 90, and closer to 120. However many it takes so that you can still take Tankbustas.

Deffkoptas: At 30 Points each, they're not even bad. T5, 4+ Armour, 2 Wounds, can Jink if needed. Moves 12" a turn. Takes Rokkits. Deffkoptas are very strong if you're taking <3 of them. Especially since they have Scout (which is often overlooked). However, once you get to 4 models, you start to see the 30 points each price tag start to hurt, since now you've paid 120 Points for four models. A feasible Kill Team is simply Rokkit Spam; Deffkoptas and Tankbustas. Deffkoptas (T5, 4+, 2 Wounds) will ideally draw the fire away from your Tankbustas, and that'll give your 6+ no Save models some breathing room. Unfortunately, you're playing against an experienced opponent, who knows that killing your 6+ no Save dudes will also kill your Deffkoptas simply when they fail a Leadership check.
    Expensive models with low Leadership (e.g; Grotesques) are real bad. Especially if they aren't Fearless. This is - again - where Necrons are great, since everything they own is Leadership 10. But we're not here to talk about Necrons.

Warbikers: 'About half' as expensive as Deffkoptas, but not quite as good. For one thing, no Twin-Linked Rokkits and no Scout. 5 Warbikers with a Nob with Power Klaw is 125 Points. This'll leave room for three more Nobz in 'Eavy Armour and an upgrade or two (i.e; Big Choppas). Or you can play with the ratio with 3 Warbikers and Nob/w/PK, and 4-5 Nobz in 'Eavy Armour. Or you can just do something with Boyz or Tankbustas. Except you just have to remember that if your opponent kills the models with 6+ no Save, the ones with low(er) Leadership and better Saves will simply die anyway. And that sucks.

Warbuggies: The best unit in the book for Kill Team, by far. x5 Warbuggies with Twin-Linked Rokkits will only set you back 125 Points. They can Outflank which is great for late-game, and they come with not!Dozer Blades, and they pack Twin-Linked Rokkits. It doesn't matter what you put in the other 75 Points because Warbuggies don't have Leadership and don't make Break Tests. As we know, AV10 is 'T6.5', which means that your opponent is only going to have 2-3 models that can reliably hurt your 'Buggies, and you should target those immediately. Armour Spam (yes, even AV10!) is a pretty easy win mode for KT. The problem with 'Buggies, unfortunately, is that they're a 2nd Ed. model (made for Gorkamorka) that hasn't been changed in almost two decades (1997), and are really expensive for no reason for such an ugly as sin model.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2016-10-12 at 06:34 PM.
    Steam Name: Cheesegear
    League of Legends Name: Cheesegear
    You can fight like a krogan or run like a leopard but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan View Post
    Cheesegear; Lovable Thesaurus ItP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Cheesegear, have I told you yet that you're awesome?
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatShield#236 View Post
    ALL HAIL LORD CHEESEGEAR! Cheese for the cheesegear!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shas'aia Toriia View Post
    Cheesegear is awesome

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post

Warbuggies: The best unit in the book for Kill Team, by far. x5 Warbuggies with Twin-Linked Rokkits will only set you back 125 Points. They can Outflank which is great for late-game, and they come with not!Dozer Blades, and they pack Twin-Linked Rokkits. It doesn't matter what you put in the other 75 Points because Warbuggies don't have Leadership and don't make Break Tests. As we know, AV10 is 'T6.5', which means that your opponent is only going to have 2-3 models that can reliably hurt your 'Buggies, and you should target those immediately. Armour Spam (yes, even AV10!) is a pretty easy win mode for KT. The problem with 'Buggies, unfortunately, is that they're a 2nd Ed. model (made for Gorkamorka) that hasn't been changed in almost two decades (1997), and are really expensive for no reason for such an ugly as sin model.
    Cool, Thanks for the advise! As to the buggies, agreed they're ugly but a few land speeders and a bit box can sort out some alternatives!

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Cool, Thanks for the advise! As to the buggies, agreed they're ugly but a few land speeders and a bit box can sort out some alternatives!
    For my Warbuggies i use Mantics Warpath Buggies, they looks sweet:

Theres also a nice quad version, sadly if you want them youll have to find them on Amazon or somethingcuz Mantic is currently redoing Warpath, so the minis are getting redone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Guigarci View Post
    "Mr. Aochev, tear down this wall!" Ro'n Ad-Ri'Gan, Bard
    Tiefling Sorcerer by Linkele
    Spoiler: Homebrew stuff
    Show
    My Spell, My Weapon, Im a God

My Post Apocalyptic Alternate Timeline setting: Amerhikan Wasteland

My Historical Stuff channel

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

Does anyone have any advice on building terrain? I was thinking foam blocks shaped into what you need?
    Past Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

By Alterform

Spoiler
    Show
    Lore: 7.

Factors: 2.

Wealth: 5

Magic: 4

Espionage: 4

Military: 2.

Faith: 6.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Requizen View Post
    Lady Atia's blog is the most reliable place to find things. She centralizes a lot of the more reliable sources.
    Looking on her blog, there's a link to a New Bloodbowl Website. It's got profiles on the new models for the Human, Orc, and Skaven teams, as well as returning Star Players such as Morg 'N Thorg. Apparently there's a full reveal happening at the Spiel Game Fair in Germany today.
    Looking back on sanity from the other side, and laughing really loudly

"In the whole of oWOD, there are only five normal people not somehow tied to the great supernatural conspiracy, and three of them were Elvis."
    Quote Originally Posted by The Tygre View Post
    If Ravenloft has taught me anything, darkness only makes the stars shine brighter.
    Bowl of Petunias avatar by Rincewind

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Turalisj View Post
    Does anyone have any advice on building terrain? I was thinking foam blocks shaped into what you need?
    I dont make terrain but a buddy that does uses foam blocks and a heat knife.
    Show

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

If you can get your hands on the old "How To Make Wargames Terrain", that's a fantastic resource for terrain construction (though by now a little out of date.)

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Turalisj View Post
    Depends what you're looking to make, buildings, hills, ruins? Foam blocks, sheet foam, plaster and various other pieces for texture are pretty common. There are many textured plasticard you can pick up online to add some more "realism" especially for buildings. Model train sites tend to have a lot of useful info and often sell practical materials.
    Here are a few links I've found informative.

Hills/Crags
    Makezine
    Woodland Scenery.

22. - Top - End - #22

So, for a massive mutant horde, is it better to use Renegades and Heretics or the HH Warp Cults list?

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by *.*.*.* View Post
    So, for a massive mutant horde, is it better to use Renegades and Heretics or the HH Warp Cults list?
    Imperial Militia and Cults is probably the best. It has the cheapest units, they can all get Zealot for a one off cost for the army, as well as army wide Rending. They don't get all the gear and gimmicks renegades get, but I would comfortably say they're better.
    Sanity is nice to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

I dunno if it's crazy, but I'm bringing a Catacomb Command Barge to a GT this weekend. List if interested:

Spoiler: Tournament Necrons
    Show

Decurion
    Reclamation Legion
    CCB: 2+/4++/Warscythe/Res Orb
    Warriors x10
    Warriors x10
    Immortals x5
    Tomb Blades x3: 3+/Ignores Cover
    Tomb Blades x3: 3+/Ignores Cover

Destroyer Cult
    DLord: Solar Staff/Res Orb (Warlord)
    Destroyers x2, Heavy
    Destroyers x2, Heavy
    Destroyers x2, Heavy
    Heavy Destroyers x3

Forsworn Knight Detachment
    Renegade Knight: Avenger Gatling, Avenger Gatling, Meltagun

No Wraiths, no star. I ran a 3 round tourney on Sunday with Knight + Destroyers, and it performed well (better than Wraiths because I suck at rolling in assault)... but felt like it was missing something. I couldn't really fit a Canoptek Harvest in without sacrificing too much, but I could fit in a Command Barge. At worst, it draws Meltas away from the Knight for a bit. At best, it gets to things like Pathfinders or Warp Spiders and butchers them. Completely immune against Scatbikes and Warp Spiders until penned (assuming I can keep the butt covered). I generally don't like running lone vehicles, but I've also got the Knight... so it's not all that bad?

If nothing else it'll be different.

25. - Top - End - #25

Quote Originally Posted by Grim Portent View Post
    Imperial Militia and Cults is probably the best. It has the cheapest units, they can all get Zealot for a one off cost for the army, as well as army wide Rending. They don't get all the gear and gimmicks renegades get, but I would comfortably say they're better.
    That's what I was largely thinking as well. Thanks for the input.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh, and cults also has better psykers than Renegades do, since they use main rulebook powers and can join units.

Also better Ogryn since the milita/cult ones can take power axes and be T6 with the right option.

27. - Top - End - #27

BlueKnightGuy

Militia and cults can also get vets with S5 laslocks and a heavy weapons team with AP3 autocannons, although I'm not sure that's compatible with the cult variant. Not gamebreakers, but nice little tricks like that make it a fun list IMO.
    “Stupid entropy ruins everything.”
    -Jennifer Ouellette

My divine portfolio (cred goes to Jormengand):
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bobby, the Twist in Time
    Divine Rank: 4
    Deity of: Twisted Truth, Time
    Symbol: A pair of wings made of fossils
    Alignment: True Neutral
    Worshipers: Archaeologists, forgers
    Cleric Alignments: Any neutral
    Domains: Artifice, Creation, Knowledge, Time
    Favoured Weapon: Longsword

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grim Portent View Post
    Eh the ability to respawn platoons is a pretty amazing ability tbh.
    Show

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawk748 View Post
    Eh the ability to respawn platoons is a pretty amazing ability tbh.
    It certainly is, but Fearless Rending models with 3 Attacks on the charge for 2 ppm is scary even to Primarchs.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

I've recently acquired some Space Marines, and since the acquisition included a Librarian, I'm actually vaguely tempted to paint them as Blood Ravens. Problem is, I don't know what to do for their Chapter Tactics. I like the idea of using the Salamanders' rule that gives them Master-Crafted gear to represent their collection of relics and gifts, but for a second rule, I wanted something to reflect their tactical style or large numbers of Librarians, and haven't found anything to fit the bill. Does anyone have any ideas?
    Punster, straight as an aro, collector of hats.