New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 37 of 43 FirstFirst ... 122728293031323334353637383940414243 LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,110 of 1289
  1. - Top - End - #1081
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Re: The Hunting Grounds IV: Drops Contain 0% RNG

[Forest of Stilled Voices]

Well, this isn't ideal. This form is big and imposing and it was meant to snuff out whatever resistance the Carrion Knight may have had left. Instead, Damon finds himself attacked from both sides, and the insect at least finds its mark. While his claws fend off the Knight, Damon lets out a hiss of pain as the insect bites into his tail. Fresh gouts of black fire erupt beneath the insect as he lashes out, trying to shake the creature off.

Hopefully between that and Mister Slash, the little thorn in his side will be dealt with.

"Too little, too late, little knight."

[Deep in the Woods]

"Y'ain't wrong to have been wary, Kestrel. Don't you worry, I'm not holdin' yer actions against you or anything." Not that there was a lot to hold against her, per se, but Atreyu is well aware how he looks. Someone being nervous at the sight of a big scary wolfman is not unreasonable, particularly in a place like this. For all he knows there could be less polite werewolves roaming around in these woods. They'd certainly be at home here, after all.

"Right then li- ah, Missy, let's get a proper look at you. Are you injured at all? When did you last eat? How long have you been in here?" Atreyu fires off a salvo of questions, his keen eyes looking over Kestrel for any sign that she might be wounded or fatigued at all from her time in the hunting grounds. "I reckon we're at least a day's walk deep into the woods here, so I'm afraid yer stuck with me for a night and a day at least. I set up a little camp a ways off. If yer okay with it, we'll make for it and spend the night there." He says, while still lightly fussing over her, trying to make sure she's alright.
    Before you criticise someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticise them, you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

2. - Top - End - #1082
    Titan in the Playground

The Carrion Knight continues to try to get a good strike on Damon, but it's like the King in Rags said - they're a trickster, not a fighter. They acquit themselves poorly in direct confrontation, even spurred on by desperation. In the meantime, Mister Slash's blow will strike true into the insect as it tries to hold on to Damon's tail.

Dispatching the Knight shouldn't prove difficult now. Of course, the King decreed that it should be a spectacle...
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

3. - Top - End - #1083
    Ghost in the Playground

[Deep in the Woods]

"Oh yeah, sorry about that." Kestrel put her bow down and returned her arrow to her quiver, before running her free hand through her hair. The birdgirl now felt incredibly apologetic and somewhat guilty over her original assumptions about Atreyu, even though it had been a perfectly understandable reaction at the time. She was still relatively new to the Nexus, and where she came from it was quite rare to hear of a werewolf that managed to learn how to stay in control of themselves.

Even with his already existing offer of help, Kestrel wasn't quite ready for the barrage of concerned questions that were flung her way once it was confirmed neither of them would attack the other. Being fussed over was not something she'd never had experience with before, but it was quite unusual coming from a stranger, let alone a towering silver werewolf. "I uh, n-no, I'm not injured, don't worry about that. I'm fine in that regard!" She was, however, covered in a lot of scratches and bruises from stumbling about through the thick woods and from the earlier fight she had gotten into. On top of that, she looked very tired, and sounded it too when she spoke. "And I think I've been here for about a day in a half. Err, I have eaten recently, but not that much. I got like, some jerky and trail mix and stuff y'know? Only, I didn't take much. I wasn't originally planning on staying even a single night here," Despite being a little overwhelmed by the mild fuss, she blurted out her response to his questions pretty quickly and honestly. Although now she had spoken it all aloud, Kestrel realised that perhaps some of it made her sound rather stupid. She really hadn't prepared for this expedition into the Hunting Grounds properly at all.

"A camp sounds nice. Better than how I slept last night." Sleeping with your back against a tree trunk is not a recipe for the most restful of nights, especially in a spooky forest filled with monsters. She smiled at the thought of getting some proper sleep, and while she was perhaps still a little weirded out by the idea of spending time in the company of a werewolf of all things, Atreyu seemed nice. And even weird company was better than no company at all in a place like this, right? "Thanks for all the help, really!"
    Last edited by Meowmai; 2020-10-08 at 06:44 AM.

4. - Top - End - #1084
    Orc in the Playground

Forest of Stilled Voices

Mister Slash, having dealt with the insect, stalks behind the Carrion Knight and tries to ambush him with a hug, pinning the Knight's arms against him. Mister Slash is pretty strong, though isn't much of a grappler. "We were told to make this a spectacle for the other one. Should we drag him to the edge of their territory and dispatch him there, or kill him here and make a mess of his corpse?" Mister Slash is happy for either, though isn't sure how much of a corpse the fae will leave.
    Terrowin Avatar by HappyTurtle. Much thanks!

5. - Top - End - #1085

As soon as he sees an opportunity, once Mister Slash has got in position, Damon switches immediately from being on the defensive, lunging forward with an outstretched claw, trying to get a grip round the Carrion Knight's midsection so he can put the squeeze on and lift the Carrion Knight bodily off the ground.

He doesn't want to kill him, not yet. But if he can get a grip on him, he's got a brilliant idea for how to make a spectacle of this.

Of course, Mister Slash may have his own ideas too...

[Deep in the Woods]

"Hrmmm." Atreyu takes a step back, looking Kestrel over once more. "If'n y'don't mind me saying, I reckon you coulda done with coming in a little more prepared then. It ain't the safest place around here, Missy." His voice softens after that mild chastisement, though. "Still, I reckon y'ain't done too bad for yerself. You don't look in bad shape and you musta done arright venturing about so far."

From Kestrel's perspective, this chastisement might seem a little unfair, since Atreyu seems to have even less equipment to his name than her. His methods of survival probably become rather clear a moment later, however, as with a mutter of words in a druidic tongue, a wave of his hand, and a little puff of green light, a cluster of delicious juicy pink berries appear in the palm of his hand. "Well if y'ain't had much to eat, here, have one or two of these. They'll keep yer stomach full for the day and take the edge of a coupl'a the nastier scratches y'got there."

That's right. He's a druid. He cheats.

"Now then, we oughta be on our way. We'll want to get back to my camp 'fore it's get dark n' cold."
    Before you criticise someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticise them, you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

6. - Top - End - #1086
    Titan in the Playground

The Carrion Knight is caught from two sides and quite helpless. Seems the two hunters have their prey well in hand. The fey continues to beg for mercy and offer all sorts of things in return, but they're not likely to be listening.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.

7. - Top - End - #1087
    Orc in the Playground

Forest of Stilled Voices

Mister Slash's idea hasn't really gone further than leave various body parts over a large geographic area, but for now he'll try moving the Carrion Knight and Damon to the edge of the fae's territory. Ideally where it meets the territory of Silent Feathers Drifting, but Mister Slash doesn't know forests well enough to actually accurately get there. He'll know the edge of the Knight's territory, though. That's an ability he can sense, the similarity between the area and the fae that claims it as their domain.

8. - Top - End - #1088

Poor Carrion Knight. Seems like the fey deserved a comeuppance, but certainly not a death as unpleasant as Damon and Mister Slash seem set to deliver.

The grotesque scorpion-man addresses his comrade in a blubbery, burbly voice. "I think we should take the knight somewhere nice and exposed. Then I would rip them in half between my claws and let their guts and entrails spill out on the floor." Sounds appropriately showy, no? "But this is as much your kill as mine, and I am open to your suggestions."

9. - Top - End - #1089
    Orc in the Playground

Forest of Stilled Voices

"Stick glass in his eyes. It's what I did back when I was human, I think. Mostly I try not to be showy now. It attracts attention, and that could be bad... At least, bad in the world I originally emerged into." Bogeymen survive on fear and murder, so they tend to be bound or banished by practitioners when they are found... Unless they're sneaky, subtle and know how to avoid being found.

10. - Top - End - #1090
    Ghost in the Playground

[Deep in the Woods]

"Well I thought I had prepared pretty well. Just, things happened that shouldn't've. Out of my control and all." Kestrel muttered defensively, crossing her arms. She did indeed think the chastising she was receiving to be quite unfair. Plus, she wanted to keep up the appearances of being able to handle herself, even if it was a rather unconvincing image.

The birdgirl quickly brightened up though as Atreyu gave her some praise. His magic caught her interest too, and she watched the berries appear in his hands with some fascination and curiosity. "Wooooaaaah, you can just conjure food like that?" She took one of the berries gratefully, examining it for a while as if it had the potential to suddenly start sparkling or jump out of her hand. When it didn't, Kestrel finally seemed to decide that it was in fact safe to eat. "Thamks a llmlot!" Her words were slightly mangled as she delivered them while chewing on the berry, not swallowing until after she had spoken. She didn't mean to be rude though, it just didn't occur to her to wait until she was finished. It didn't take long for the effects of the magic berry to kick in, soothing her scratches and bruises while dissipating her hunger. Those berries were a very handy trick to have up ones sleeve. Maybe she should try get him to teach it to her. Though knowing her luck with magic... maybe it was best not to. It'd likely just result in more disappointment.

"Seems like a good plan to me, lead the way! How far is your camp?"

11. - Top - End - #1091

Well then, sounds like they have a plan.

"We take the knight to somewhere open and exposed, bound to draw attention. I rip his body in two. You stab his eyes."

Sounds good, right? Possibly not for the poor fey struggling in their grasp.

"Let us be about it then."

And off Damon will go in search of a suitable spot to complete their bloody task.

[Deep in the Woods]

Atreyu watches Kestrel's amazement at the berry with an amused expression, "I take it y'ain't ever seen a druid before, then? Or maybe y'have and they were just a little different-like? I don't behave like yer typical druid, much." Also the majority of druids are not werewolves. "But if'n y'haven't got the means to produce or forage fer food, then I'd suggest you bring plenty of spare supplies next time, Missy." More mild chastisement. Maybe he's hoping she'll learn a few lessons from this?

Goodness, her reaction to the berry, though. It's adorable. Makes him want to just give those feathers a ruffle. That'd be rather impolite though, so he stays his hand. For now at least. If she keeps doing things like that, it might only be a matter of time.

"Ah, well, if'n I remember my routing correctly, we're about an hour away from the camp since I've spent most of today ranging in a circle round it, so if we strike out in-" He pauses, stares thoughtfully ahead at what looks like a solid mass of thorny bushes, creaking trees, and thick, grasping mud, and that's just what's immediately within sight. Then he glances back at Kestrel. "Ah, tell ya what, we've got just about enough time, I reckon. We'll take an easier route. Call it two hours." He says, striking out in a direction that looks much less hostile.

12. - Top - End - #1092
    Orc in the Playground

Forest of Stilled Voices

"Do you know where the territory of that other one is? Do it near there, just inside this one's land. That's who this message is meant for." Mister Slash doesn't, because this isn't his ideal terrain and he's got no sense of direction here.

13. - Top - End - #1093
    Ghost in the Playground

[Deep in the Woods]

Kestrel gave a nod at Atreyu's amused inquiries. "Yeah, can't say I've ever met one before you." And of course, she hadn't expected to see a werewolf of all things do magic. It wasn't even that the berry was that impressive, she had met a few mages with far flashier spells before. Her and excitement curiosity was more to do with the fact that she had never encountered this kind of magic before. "I didn't know it was possible to magic food into existence like that!" Once again upon being chastised a defensive tone crept into her voice. It seems she was perhaps a bit too stubborn in response to criticism. Did she believe she was better than she really was, or did she just wish to be taken a little more seriously? "It's not like I can't hunt for rabbits or anything. I've done it before! Just that, well I wasn't able to find anything before that... thing attacked." Kestrel shuddered slightly, still not even sure how to describe the monster she had gotten into a fight with earlier.

Unaware of the increasing risk of incoming feather ruffles, Kestrel followed the werewolf as he began to make his way towards his camp. Though, she didn't initially seem super keen about taking the long way around. "What's so bad about the direct route that makes you wanna double the time to get there?" She asked. Part of her chafed at Atreyu assuming she wasn't up to it, but looking in the initial direction he had almost gone before... well, the other parts of her were quite relieved. Kestrel's exhaustion was beginning to overpower her usual reckless approach to such things.

14. - Top - End - #1094

[Deep in the Woods]

Atreyu folds his arms and looks off down the path ahead of them, contemplatively. "Fer how scared y'were a few moments ago, Missy, I reckon y'could stand to be a bit more receptive to some advice." He doesn't look particularly cross though. In fact, is his nose twitching? Why, yes, it is. Look at him tilting his head up and sniff-sniffing away.

"But maybe yer right and I'm being too harsh on ya. So how about we make some sport of this and see how well-trained fer the outdoors y'are?"

Sniff.

Sniff.

Sniiiiffff.

"I reckon I got the scent of some hares, and I ain't much likely to have any luck sneakin' up on 'em. But you and yer bows, if yer that keen a shot, won't be a problem for you, right?" He asks, looking back at her with a grin. "I'll smell 'em out for ya, and if y'get two of 'em nice and quick, we can both eat well tonight. But take too long and, well, we'll have no choice but to take the fast route. And if y'can't keep up there, I'll have to take matters into my own hands." He lets out a small chuckle and puts out a hand. "What do you reckon, Missy? Up fer a spot of competition?"

15. - Top - End - #1095
    Ghost in the Playground

[Deep in the Woods]

"Whether or not I was scared has nothing to do with my hunting skills!" Kestrel protested, "which I wasn't. That scared, I mean." She was probably just digging herself into a deeper hole here.

Kestrel watched with some curiosity as Atreyu began sniffing the air, wondering what scent caught his clearly excellent werewolf nose. To be honest? It was weirdly cute, in a way, with the way his nose was twitching and all. And then he gave his proposal, and she realised that maybe she should have just kept her mouth shut. That being said, she was not the kind of girl to back down from a challenge, especially when taking up the offer gave her a chance to prove herself. "Two hares? Won't be a problem. You got a bet, Mister." Kestrel spoke with much more confidence than she felt as she reached out with her comparatively much smaller hand than Atreyu's to shake on it.

16. - Top - End - #1096

Damon turns and walks off with his prize, motioning for Mister Slash to follow him with his tail.

Eager eyes scan the environment as he goes, searching for any signs that might lead them closer to the lair of Silent Feathers Drifting

"Funny, isn't it, Carrion Knight? Your first thought, that we were sent here by another. That's who we're going to use you to leave a message for."

[Deep in the Woods]

"I look forward to being impressed then, Missy." Atreyu remarks with a toothy grin, waving a hand to follow as he sets off, following the scent. He doesn't waste any time either, moving at a swift pace, pausing briefly from time to time to re-sniff and adjust his bearings, occasionally even getting down on all fours for a more focused sniff, his tail swishing slowly. His route takes them through some unpleasant terrain - straight through a rather prickly bush, squeezing between several trees, their lower branches overlapping and threatening to thwack people in the face when pushed out of the way, and to top things off, he takes them over a stretch of thick, clinging mud, hopping his way between several precariously perched logs and stones to cross safely.

A taste, perhaps, of what awaits if Kestrel fails.

Five, ten, fifteen minutes pass, what must feel like an age to Kestrel when she knows she's up against the clock, until finally Atreyu comes to a halt at the edge of a spacious clearing.

He crouches low and watches, and moments later a brief, tell-tale blur of brown from a sprinting hare makes it clear that they've found their mark.

"All up to you now, Kestrel. Good hunting."

17. - Top - End - #1097
    Titan in the Playground

The two hunters know where Silent Feathers Drifting's territory is. They need to leave the forest the same way the dead elves came and keep going until they reach a river that flows down into a lake. He presides over a hunting lodge on the shores of said lake.

"He's the King's dog, just like you. But wiser and so he serves only out of debt," the Carrion Knight hisses, resigned to their fate and trying to make any jabs they can.

18. - Top - End - #1098
    Orc in the Playground

Forest of Stilled Voices

"Woof, woof." Mister Slash doesn't really care what the Knight says; as far as the bogey is concerned, the Knight will probably say anything if he thinks it'll let him live longer. Mister Slash doesn't think it will work, and he's preparing some glass shards for the Knight's eyes.

19. - Top - End - #1099

On to the lake they go then. Damon scuttles at a fair old pace, less concerned for stealth now, both since they've dealt with the scariest thing in this part of the forest, and because he does want to draw some attention to them now. The body has to be found, after all.

He'll aim to come out somewhere on the far side of the shore from the hunting lodge.

"What do you think, Mister Slash? Something for them to discover come the morning, or should we perhaps aim to get a little closer?"

20. - Top - End - #1100
    Orc in the Playground

Forest of Stilled Voices

"If we leave it for them to discover, we'll be able to get out of here without anyone seeing us. Which will let us spy on them later without them knowing our link to the King. Also gives us more time to enjoy ourselves, if that's your sort of thing." Mister Slash also thinks getting closer would get them wet, and Mister Slash doesn't like water very much, though it doesn't much affect him supernaturally, he just doesn't particularly like it. Except rain.

21. - Top - End - #1101

Damon nods. "As you say, Mister Slash. I take no particular pleasure in this act, but feel free to enjoy yourself as much as you like."

His claws clamp down, tightening the grip on their fey prisoner.

"Farewell, Carrion Knight. Here's hoping the next life is kinder to you."

And then his claws wrench in opposite directions, seeking to disembowel the Carrion Knight in one swift, messy motion.

22. - Top - End - #1102
    Orc in the Playground

Forest of Stilled Voices

Mister Slash feeds on fear and pain, though mortals are usually juicier than supernatural entities in that regard. He'll not spend much time, though, just jabbing shards of broken glass into the Knight's eyes before the fae dies of the injury Damon inflicted. "That sates me. We can leave, now. Find what the King wants next."

23. - Top - End - #1103
    Titan in the Playground

The Carrion Knight dies a painful, undignified death. They depart from the material world with a pitiful croak. Once this croak also goes quiet, their body seems to age rapidly, turning into a decrepit husk covered in feathers. Something else escapes, upwards and through the crack into some other place, denied to the fey in life.

Over above the lake, on the other side of the river, someone notices. Silent Feathers Drifting steps out of his shrine and takes to the sky on powerful wings, looking off into the distance and seeing the shrivelled remains of the scavenger that had claimed his hunters. He can see the King in Rags' mark on this and he knows what this death means. Soon his elves will discover this body and the lodge will be poisoned by fear. And he has another reminder of the chain that binds him.

Damon and Mister Slash might see a winged figure in the distance, observing them.
    Last edited by Morty; 2020-11-16 at 09:24 AM.

24. - Top - End - #1104
    Ghost in the Playground

[Deep in the Woods]

Kestrel realised that she may have been too cocky almost immediately as she tried to keep up with Atreyu. The terrain was tricker to navigate than she expected, and she had to scramble about in what could almost be described as near-desperation just to keep the werewolf in sight. By the time they made it to the clearing she had gained a fair amount of new scratches and scrapes, and her feathers hadn't faired the best either. She fussed about with the reddish-brown plumage, straightening it out and plucking a few stray sticks and leaves that had somehow managed to get nestled within it.

Now she definitely felt the pressure. In hindsight, she should have just settled with the easier route. But it would be embarrassing to back down now!

Suppressing her normal instincts to leap headfirst into action, Kestrel decided to try be patient. Time was ticking, sure, but she didn't want to screw this up and look like a fool. So initially, she moved as slowly and silently as she could into a good, relatively hidden position at the edge of the clearing. Nocking an arrow to her bowstring, she settled down and waited as still as she could. Which, well, wasn't a lot. The girl fidgeted and twitched a lot, especially as more time passed. Golden eyes scanned for any sign of movement for an excruciatingly long period, until at last she saw something. There! A hare! Drawing back the arrow, she sighted her shot carefully, she let the projectile loose.

A 'fwish' sounded through the air as the arrow flew across the clearing, followed by a meaty thwack as it found it's mark. Poor rabbit, but lucky Kestrel! She sprung up in celebration, giving a loud cheer, before suddenly remembering that she had one more rabbit to catch.

And she had probably just scared the rest off.

And a lot of time had passed for just the one.

"... Oops."
    Last edited by Meowmai; 2020-11-16 at 07:13 AM.

25. - Top - End - #1105

[Deep in the Woods]

Atreyu watches silently beside Kestrel as she lines up her shot, doing his best not to put her off. It would be incredibly inappropriate to comment or interrupt her while she's trying to focus and-

Oops, well that was going well until she celebrated like that after getting one of them. There's a distinct blur of brown as whatever other hares were nearby immediately scatter.

Now he permits himself a slight smug grin, reaching over to pat Kestrel on the shoulder, sneaking in a little healing spell on contact to deal with those little scratches and scrapes she picked up trying to keep up with him. "Not a bad shot, Missy. Would ya like me to flush another out fer you?" The obvious implication being that if she doesn't accept his help, it might be quite a while before any hares feel brave enough to poke their heads out again.

26. - Top - End - #1106
    Pixie in the Playground

[Town Hall]

By the time they get here, Karasu's found out that there's no age restriction, and thus that she can take part... which is good! They find themselves in a hunting town, though one less futuristic and more 'fantasy-themed' than the one Karasu calls home, now. As directed by her brother Mirai, she leads Beth to the town hall job board to see about getting a monster to hunt. Perhaps some NPC has posted something up?

"We're here. Look, something on the board." She says once they're at the job board, pointing to it. While Beth wasn't looking, Karasu must have changed, because there's now a ninja suit covering her clothes and body.

Spoiler: Job Posting
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Earl of Purple View Post
    Mountains Foothills

A group of creatures from elsewhere in the Nexus has arrived here, called by the lure of the hunt. There's five of them, at the moment at least, and they're all humanoid. They look to be children, perhaps eight years old, but... There's oddities. The first is that, despite the fact that three of them are girls and two are boys, and that not all of them seem human children, they are all the exact same height. Another is the way they walk up walls, setting that surface as their 'down' and treating even the stiffest cliffs as though they were perfectly flat, only the wind and not normal gravity moving their hair and clothes. Third and creepiest is the fact all of them are navigating despite the fact their eyes are firmly shut, and move as though they are communicating, but none opens their mouth.

In the lead is the leader of this pack of killdren, resembling a human girl with very dark skin and long hair set into a lot of small braids, she wears- or seems to wear- a pair of green denim jeans and a black t-shirt with the slogan 'I Win' written in white upon it. Behind her are the other members of the pack, an orange-skinned hobgoblin boy with thick brown hair wearing a pair of black combat trousers and a blue shirt printed with camo design; a half-elf girl with short brown hair and brown skin wearing a school uniform of white shirt, grey skirt and grey socks, with plimsols on her feet; and a pair of elves with matching snow-white skin and lilac hair, one seeming a boy wearing a dark red t-shirt and a pair of matching corduroy trousers, the other looking almost like his sister, and wearing a dark green dress with a ragged edge.
    Last edited by Purple Eagle; 2020-11-23 at 08:13 PM. Reason: Earl's gonna run a monster for us.
    Purple Eagle's character list
    Love is the message.

27. - Top - End - #1107
    Ghost in the Playground

[Deep in the Woods]

Well heck, you've done it now Kes.

The archer stares at the clearing now suddenly emptied of any small fuzzy brown targets, mentally cursing herself for her stupidity. And it was such a good shot too! That's when she feels Atreyu's hand on her shoulder, and at least it seems he too shared the thought on her archery skills. Unfortunately, it also seemed he was taking the opportunity to insert some smug teasing. Kestrel's pride made her want to reject the offer, but so much time had passed already just to get the first rabbit and that was before she had scared them all away. ... Uh, yeah. That would be helpful, thanks." She mumbled in defeat. As wrapped up in her own victory and sudden loss as she was, the birdgirl failed to notice the soothing healing effects that her companion had snuck upon her.

28. - Top - End - #1108

[Deep in the Woods]

Atreyu nods and grins a toothy grin at Kes. He bounds off, silver fur shimmering and swaying as he lopes away on all fours.

Within moments, he's vanished into the forest.

One minute passes.

Two.

Three...

Somewhere in the distance there's a rustling.

And then, suddenly, a long, loud "AWOOOO!" As the werewolf howls.

The surrounding woodlands erupt in activity as every small animal in the vicinity flees from the terrifying wolfman. Which includes a number of hares, running across open terrain. Easy pickings for Kestrel, surely. Maybe she could even get more than one more, if she's quick about it?

Another minute or two, and Atreyu sneaks back around, stalking up behind Kestrel with all the stealth of an expert predator, silently approaching as close as he thinks he can get without her noticing, then darting forward to slip his arms round her from behind. "Did ya get one, missy?" He asks in a particularly low and gravelly voice, definitely trying to deliver a little bit of a spook to poor ol' Kes.

29. - Top - End - #1109
    Ghost in the Playground

[Deep in the Woods]

Watching the blur of muscle and fur disappear into the forest, Kestrel set about readying herself for the rest of the hunt. She really didn't want to mess this one up. And so she did her best to wait patiently for any sight of any hares. And she waited. And waited. Until at last, she heard Atreyu's howling, and all of a sudden there was movement and rabbits everywhere. This was her chance!

Spotting a good potential target, she let an arrow loose, and watched it sail through the air. It impacted with a thud... into the ground besides the small creature, sending it bolting away. Oh fudge! She didn't want to go back to Atreyu with just one rabbit, she wanted to win this challenge! So she quickly nocked another arrow, searching for another target. Quickly, she spotted a good opportunity and sent another arrow flying. It seemed luck was on her side this time, as the arrow struck the hare, killing it instantly. There! She got two of them! She hoped she hadn't taken too long to do so.

Kestrel moved forward to collect the nights dinner, while waiting for the werewolf to return. Just where was he? The birdgirl quickly got her answer, but not in the way she was ready for. A loud, surprised yell slipped from her lips when she felt those arms wrap around her, seemingly out of nowhere. She almost jumped in fright before realising who the culprit was. "Eeeeeek! H-hey! D-don't do that, Atreyu!" Kestrel tried to give him an indignant look, but it's effectiveness was reduced by the fact that the werewolf was hugging her from behind, which made it difficult to turn around to look at him proper. Once she got over her initial shock, she followed up with a grumpy mumble, "And yeah, I got a second one. So I won the challenge, right?"
    Last edited by Meowmai; 2020-11-29 at 07:13 PM.

30. - Top - End - #1110

[Deep in the Woods]

Atreyu leans in close, letting out a long, low laugh, close enough for Kes to feel his breath on her neck.

"Won, Missy?" He asks, tightening his grip slightly. "Now don't get me wrong, ya shot good. But you do remember the terms of the challenge, don'tcha? Fer you to succeed, ya had to be quick, and this took a loooong time." He leans in closer, speaking softly so his voice whispers right in her ear. "Which means that you lost, Missy."

Quick as a flash, he shifts his grip and lifts Kes up, throwing her over his shoulder as he stalks over to collect the rabbits.

"Which means we gotta be real quick to get back in time now, and the only way we can do that is if'n I can be really fast. So you'd best get yerself comfortable up there, Kestrel." He says with a chuckle, squeezing her waist slightly as he turns to start heading off.