New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 19 of 43 FirstFirst ... 91011121314151617181920212223242526272829 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #541
    SleepyMoony
    Guest in the Playground

Default Re: The Hunting Grounds IV: Drops Contain 0% RNG

East Gate

"Oh, uh, they're tall folk, about as tall as you but all scrawny-like. Real full of 'emselves, like nature a whole bunch. You're not missing much really. Good wine though." Lucretia tilts her head up to the sky, considering the redeeming factor, then nods to herself. "Yeah. Real good wine. Anyway, you mind telling me how things work around here? Can I just go out into the woods and start looking for monsters or do I have to tell any official types that I'm here, or what?"
    Last edited by SleepyMoony; 2018-02-21 at 02:20 PM.

2. - Top - End - #542
    Titan in the Playground

[East Gate]

Thariza shakes her head.

"You can go and start hunting if you feel ready for it. This town is really a trading post. People buy and sell supplies, barter for monster parts, rest and such. Trying to establish authority here would be like herding Skritt."
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

3. - Top - End - #543
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by bc56 View Post
    Dust Storm
    Krur follows DJ to the rock outcrop. Nestled among the rocks is a tunnel leading down. Its entrance provides excellent protection from the wind outside.
    We should not venture to far inside DJ says as he procurs a small stone. He then then throws it against the ground, and it turns from a dull rock into a shining, floating beacon that moves to a space just in front of his face.
    "I'M just a guy with a boomerang... I didn't ask for all this flying... and MAGIC!!!" -Sokka

Quote Originally Posted by Wuff View Post
    the biggest nerd ever who transforms into BEAR is of course alluring.

4. - Top - End - #544
    Troll in the Playground

Dust Storm
    Krur switches his helmet to night vision. "You're probably right, Doc" Nevertheless, he moves into the tunnel, inspecting its walls.

Anyone with good knowledge of geology will notice that this is not a natural cave, but Krur doesn't have the knowledge necessary.
    Last edited by bc56; 2018-02-21 at 05:40 PM.
    Awesome avatar (Kothar, paladin of Tlacua) by Linkele!

Quote Originally Posted by William Shakespeare, King Lear, IV.i.46
    'Tis the time's plague, when madmen lead the blind.
    My Nexus characters

5. - Top - End - #545
    SleepyMoony
    Guest in the Playground

East Gate

"Aye, fair enough. Guess I'll go look around and see about settling in. Maybe later we can get drinks and ye can tell me about the monster you made that sword from." Lucretia grins and waves as she heads off towards the tree.

6. - Top - End - #546
    Ogre in the Playground

Dust Storm
    Krur switches his helmet to night vision. "You're probably right, Doc" Nevertheless, he moves into the tunnel, inspecting its walls.

Anyone with good knowledge of geology will notice that this is not a natural cave, but Krur doesn't have the knowledge necessary.
    DJ may be weird, but he's no geologist

Now that we've escaped the storm...

DJ takes out a small cloth from his sleeve, then makes a whipping motion with it, letting go at the apex of his swing. The cloth widens, and attaches itself on the cave entrance.

There. Strong enough to fend off a sharp wind but weak enough if we need to retreat. If any actual Dust Devils or demons try and get in though, it won't do much good. We should be safe though, the scent and color make the cloth appear as a large predator to the average or unaverage dumb animal.
    "I'M just a guy with a boomerang... I didn't ask for all this flying... and MAGIC!!!" -Sokka

7. - Top - End - #547
    Troll in the Playground

Dust Storm
    "Good. What do you make of this?" Krur points out some mysterious glyphs on the tunnel wall, and an arrow pointing into the tunnel.

My Nexus characters

8. - Top - End - #548
    Ogre in the Playground

Dust Storm
    "Good. What do you make of this?" Krur points out some mysterious glyphs on the tunnel wall, and an arrow pointing into the tunnel.
    DJ had not noticed the glyphs before, and scowls at them.

An obvious trap. We'd be wise not let our guard down here. Nine times out of ten, arrows pointing down caves end up with hideous monstrous people trying to eat you. The ten percent that doesn't get eaten actually finds treasure, but if you ever take ten percent odds... then we should definitely play cards in the near future. Betting actual money of course.

9. - Top - End - #549
    Troll in the Playground

Dust Storm
    As the pair discuss treasure and long odds, a small creature scurries up from the depths of the cave. It's about 2ft tall and its skin is pitch black. Its head is crowned with two stumpy cylindrical horns, and its hands are oversized claws. When it sees DJ and Krur, it darts away, into the darkness.

My Nexus characters

10. - Top - End - #550
    Ogre in the Playground

Dust Storm
    As the pair discuss treasure and long odds, a small creature scurries up from the depths of the cave. It's about 2ft tall and its skin is pitch black. Its head is crowned with two stumpy cylindrical horns, and its hands are oversized claws. When it sees DJ and Krur, it darts away, into the darkness.
    DJ looks down, and says: Nimmy? No, it can't be you, Nimmy's dead. But the resemblance... it's striking...

Change of plans. This cave suddenly has a certain appeal to me, the likes of which I'd rather not talk of right now. I'm going to do some investigating, do you want to come with?

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    You probably didn't mean to do it, but that thing you just described looks a heckva lot like someone DJ met before.

11. - Top - End - #551
    Troll in the Playground

Dust Storm
    Spoiler: ooc
    Show

Definitely unintentional, but it makes me wonder if I had similar inspiration. If you could provide a link to where Nimmy was introduced, that'd be interesting.

"Sure, Doc. Right behind you." Krur follows DJ into the darkness.

My Nexus characters

12. - Top - End - #552
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Celticbear View Post
    Kurrack backs up a bit from the blast, grunting in displeasure, and then sighs listening to the gnoll.

You're hurt. I heal you, then tie you up on yonder tree. You'll tell your buddies to leave. You live if they leave. If they leave without you I'll cut you down and make sure you get out of the lodge okay. Deal?
    [Mysterious Crater]

"They're all dead, you loon! You blew them up!" The gnoll shouts back, but seems to have been exerting himself too much as he suddenly groans in pain. "A-and I need healing bad. So if you're gonna do that, you better do that."

If he looks around, he might be able to make up the bodies of several KABAL members. That explosion was pretty lethal.

13. - Top - End - #553
    Halfling in the Playground

[Wandering]

"Mm. Fine. I've got something that will take the edge off..."
    says Extrix. She shifts her wings, making like she intends to turn and go, but she looks at Fayyaad. Without any inflection but faint amusement, she asks, "Like what you see, little thorny prince?" She even reaches out and pokes at one of Fayyaad's horns if she can.

Fettina just sort of chortles, putting a few fingers demurely over her mouth. She glances between Elektra and Extrix. "Fayyaad is much better at disguising his ogling without any drinks in him."
    My avatar was done by Gullara. Thanks again!

"If you meet a spirit walking,
    Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

-Things Our Mothers Tell Us

Nexus Characters

14. - Top - End - #554
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcaller View Post
    [Mysterious Crater]

"They're all dead, you loon! You blew them up!" The gnoll shouts back, but seems to have been exerting himself too much as he suddenly groans in pain. "A-and I need healing bad. So if you're gonna do that, you better do that."

If he looks around, he might be able to make up the bodies of several KABAL members. That explosion was pretty lethal.
    Quit your whining. Ancestors protect this soul from crossing over to the other side, bless him with your bliss, your wisdom, and your compassion this day...

Kurrack lays his hands over the near dead Gnoll, his druidic power washing over him and cleansing and sealing his wounds.

That couldn't have been all of you. There has to more. What about that cool looking goblin, who judging by his air of authority and collection of gizmos is smarter than the average mook. In fact, judging by the luck of my day so far, he's probably leading a small battalion of goons to flank me while I'm busy talking with you, right?

Dust Storm

Show
    That iteration of Outside is down, I think. He was a shadow demon who looked pretty much exactly like that creature you described. Think of my avatar, but with horns, and you get Nimnarath.

Down down down, the party's going down! DJ exclaims in a hushed whisper. He sends his mote of light a few feet in front of him.
    Last edited by Celticbear; 2018-02-22 at 08:28 PM.

15. - Top - End - #555
    Troll in the Playground

Dust Storm
    The tunnel opens into a moderately sized room. Its walls are lined with strange canisters made from an unknown transparent substance. More glyphs, like those in the passage, decorate the stone covers of the cylinders. Within each tube is a spherical metallic object, about 4ft in diameter. The creature that the pair encountered earlier is here, along with two similar creatures. The new ones are red, with flame-shaped crests atop their heads, and instead of giant claws, these carry torches. In the light of the torches, it is obvious that these are not creatures at all, but machines. The light glints harshly off their metal joints. DJ probably mistook one for Nimmy because he didn't get a good look at it. One of the red machines releases a squeal of alarm, and the three scatter throughout the room, hiding among the cylinders.

On the other side of the room is a closed metal door.

My Nexus characters

16. - Top - End - #556
    Titan in the Playground

[Wandering]

Quote Originally Posted by Murkus View Post

"Mm. Fine. I've got something that will take the edge off..."
    says Extrix. She shifts her wings, making like she intends to turn and go, but she looks at Fayyaad. Without any inflection but faint amusement, she asks, "Like what you see, little thorny prince?" She even reaches out and pokes at one of Fayyaad's horns if she can.

Fettina just sort of chortles, putting a few fingers demurely over her mouth. She glances between Elektra and Extrix. "Fayyaad is much better at disguising his ogling without any drinks in him."
    Fayyaad's horn is poked as he grins brightly. If he's flustered over being put on the spot like this, he's not showing it.

"It seems my usual subtlety has failed me, yes. But I do like what I see, what can I say?"
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.

17. - Top - End - #557

NinjaGuy

[Wandering]

Electra smirks at Fayyaad, but keeps quiet, instead simply raising an eyebrow at Extrix in an inviting manner. The more the merrier, it seems for her, at least, tonight.
    Why is it Plan A is always, "Get 'Em!" and Plan B is, "Cause as much collateral damage as possible"?

18. - Top - End - #558
    Halfling in the Playground

[Wandering]

"Mmhm,"
    says Extrix. She looks between the trio, then lifts her wings and walks around Fayyaad in a close circle. Seemingly taking a quick appraisal. "You'll do. Fettina, I think I know what I would like as my payment..." Something razor sharp and hot as a sword from a forge glitters behind Extrix's eyes. She attempts to grab Fayyaad by the base of his tiefling tail and prompt him forward with a push toward the cave mouth. "Come with me for a moment, all of you."

She'll take the lead again as they step forward into the hollow, provided everyone is willing to follow. She strides forth imperiously, tattered toga swishing around her bare thighs, and her wings drop a single red feather that drifts lazily to the soft dirt of the cavern floor.

Extrix leads them to what looks like a witch doctor's laboratory. Various ingredients both esoteric and bizarre adorn the walls of a circular cavern, in the center of which is a mass of scavenged pillows and heavy blankets that Extrix seems to use as a thrown-together bed if the smattering of red feathers is any indication. She has a number of odd looking vials and bubbling potions on wooden shelves and racks set up against the walls. She moves to collect a couple of them.

"Not as much to work with here as I used to have,"
    says Extrix. "Not as many good hunts to provide materials. Things tend to get sloppy." She looks at the group. "You're all going to want to get undressed for this." Her mouth quirks up in a mysterious smirk. "Or at least, mostly. If any of this gets on your clothes... well, it would just ruin them."

Even Fettina will look surprised by this - though amused.
    My avatar was done by Gullara. Thanks again!

"If you meet a spirit walking,
    Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

-Things Our Mothers Tell Us

Nexus Characters

19. - Top - End - #559
    Titan in the Playground

[Wandering]

Fayyaad's eyebrows shoot up, but then he shrugs. It won't be anything Electra and Tina haven't seen already, though Extrix is new... he begins by shrugging off his vest, then starts unbuttoning his shirt.

"I am rather fond of those clothes, and I'd hate for something to happen. Besides, it is warm here..."

20. - Top - End - #560

NinjaGuy

[Wandering]

Electra's smirk turns into a seductive smile as she first removes her hair tie, unleashing a torrent of golden hair down her back. Next to come off are her shoes, then her leggings, a bit more slowly, humming a few notes to herself. Fayyaad might remember the tune as the one she sang for him and Dena in the music store when they first met. She's never been very afraid of showing off her body, and she's interested to see how she and Tina differ, since they both seem to have artificial origins. Her skirt is next to be removed, leaving her in lacy black panties and her spaghetti strap top. She pauses humming at this point and looks to Extrix, quirking an eyebrow, but continuing to smile.

"Any particular place we should put our clothes so they don't get spattered accidentally?"
    Why is it Plan A is always, "Get 'Em!" and Plan B is, "Cause as much collateral damage as possible"?

21. - Top - End - #561
    Ogre in the Playground

Dust Storm
    The tunnel opens into a moderately sized room. Its walls are lined with strange canisters made from an unknown transparent substance. More glyphs, like those in the passage, decorate the stone covers of the cylinders. Within each tube is a spherical metallic object, about 4ft in diameter. The creature that the pair encountered earlier is here, along with two similar creatures. The new ones are red, with flame-shaped crests atop their heads, and instead of giant claws, these carry torches. In the light of the torches, it is obvious that these are not creatures at all, but machines. The light glints harshly off their metal joints. DJ probably mistook one for Nimmy because he didn't get a good look at it. One of the red machines releases a squeal of alarm, and the three scatter throughout the room, hiding among the cylinders.

On the other side of the room is a closed metal door.
    Hmf. I wasn't expecting that. Then again, I don't suspect much from this three dimensional plane, anyway.

DJ clasps his hands around a short cutlass on his hip. He then looks at the cylinders with much scrutiny, tyring to determine how much they could be sold for.

Show
    Sword is magic, picked it up in seaside a few months back. Here's the link to its stuff.

22. - Top - End - #562
    Troll in the Playground

Dust Storm.
    The cylinders appear to be worthless. However, the sword can't seem to make up its mind as to whether the objects inside the cylinders are worthless or priceless, fluctuating between the two.

Krur looks at the cylinders. "What do you think those are for?"

My Nexus characters

23. - Top - End - #563
    Ogre in the Playground

Dust Storm.
    The cylinders appear to be worthless. However, the sword can't seem to make up its mind as to whether the objects inside the cylinders are worthless or priceless, fluctuating between the two.

Krur looks at the cylinders. "What do you think those are for?"
    Can't quite tell, my best guess is a power source of some kind...

DJ starts to walk closer towards the cylinders, though he does so carefully, making sure he isn't about to step on a pressure plate or anything.

24. - Top - End - #564
    Troll in the Playground

Dust Storm
    DJ can certainly approach a cylinder and inspect it, there are no pressure plates that he can see. He may spot one of the little machine-creatures scurrying away from him.

My Nexus characters

25. - Top - End - #565
    Ogre in the Playground

Dust Storm
    DJ can certainly approach a cylinder and inspect it, there are no pressure plates that he can see. He may spot one of the little machine-creatures scurrying away from him.
    DJ pays no mind to the creature. He gently walks over to the nearest cylinder, and gives it a light tap with the edge of his cane.

26. - Top - End - #566
    Troll in the Playground

Dust Storm
    The cylinder makes a sound like a hollow stone container, unusual because of its strange material. Krur marches deliberately to the door and inspects it.

My Nexus characters

27. - Top - End - #567
    Ogre in the Playground

Dust Storm
    The cylinder makes a sound like a hollow stone container, unusual because of its strange material. Krur marches deliberately to the door and inspects it.
    Be careful. This place screams of Gnomes or their like, people as crafty as this often left traps for any would be grave robbers. Dollars to donuts those little black scurrying things are an early warning system, and killer robots are on their way to stop us.

With that, DJ tries to see if there is any way to pry it open, without touching it.

28. - Top - End - #568
    Troll in the Playground

Dust Storm
    Unless DJ has telekinesis, relevant magic, or explosives, the canister seems to be sealed tight. The little machines seem to be increasingly panicked, especially as Krur approaches the door. One of them begins to release a shrill shriek,.which may be slightly painful, but not harmful.

My Nexus characters

29. - Top - End - #569
    Ogre in the Playground

Dust Storm
    Unless DJ has telekinesis, relevant magic, or explosives, the canister seems to be sealed tight. The little machines seem to be increasingly panicked, especially as Krur approaches the door. One of them begins to release a shrill shriek,.which may be slightly painful, but not harmful.
    Show
    You misunderstand, I wanted to see if there was an obvious opening on the canister.

DJ points his Cane towards the machine creature, and says: Be quiet.

Purple flame lances outward at the thing.

30. - Top - End - #570
    Troll in the Playground

Dust Storm
    The flames strike the little black creature and burn its metallic body. It falls dead, and the room is silent again.

My Nexus characters