New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 43 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: The Hunting Grounds IV: Drops Contain 0% RNG

Huntside Town Hall

"Nothing in particular, I've learned that in the hunting grounds its best to plan after you caught something instead of the other way around. So we're going to check the old traps, plant some new ones, and then get out of there. Your job, besides keeping an eye out for enemies and protecting me, will be to look for these plants." She points at a picture that she taped to the side of the map of a special black flower. "Though if you see any special-looking vegetation, inform me. They are all valuable for my rituals."

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ogre in the Playground

Huntside Town Hall

Sam studies the plant photo.
    "I can do that. Is there anything special about the plant? Does it smell funny, any way to notice it besides just lookin' at the ground?" he asks her.
    Though on second thought, he realizes that if it could be easily found by scent she'd just use the hyena.
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

3. - Top - End - #63

Huntside Town Hall

"It actually grows in the shade, which is just yet another of its abnormal properties. You often find them in caves or holes, where light cannot touch them. It has a scent of blood too, which lures many dangerous creatures too it, which is why its called 'bloodshade', and is favored by, among other things, nexus vampires." Astrana explains.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ogre in the Playground

Huntside Town Hall

"Oh. Well, I guess I shouldn't pay too much attention to my nose, then. Blood could be anything in a place like this. Let's head out, then while it's still morning." Sam suggests to the tiefling.

5. - Top - End - #65

Huntside Town Hall

"Blood can indeed be anything, so you need to keep your eyes out, this flower specifically smells like human blood, or so I'm told. I can't really tell the difference." She rolls up the map and puts it back into her bag. "But yes, let's go."

So they will be heading out into the wilderness and start checking Astrana's traps. They are everything from simple snares and leg-holders to trapping pits and some sort of magical food trap which appear to paralyze animals that eat it.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Firbolg in the Playground

There are those who would consider setting traps to be cheating, and say that you ought to at least lie in wait yourself. But we can probably ignore those people.

Some of the traps, of course, will be empty. At least one will hold only blood and a few scraps of fur where some other hunter took advantage of the easy meal the beast in the leg-holder provided. The paralysis-bait has a handful of little gerbil-sized foxes scattered frozen around it.

Here, at one of the pit traps, there's substantial game. A crocodile-buffalo has fallen in, and with its legs hurt from the fall, has no chance of scrambling back out. But in the tall grasses just a little bit away there's something else, eyes watching and waiting for the trapper to come back. Long, low, several legs, dappled coat blending into the shadows and shining stalks and leaves.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

7. - Top - End - #67

Trap Checking

The foxes were awfully cute, but they couldn't be allowed to be fooled by them. If they lived in the hunting grounds, they couldn't be trusted. Astrana will instruct Sam to put them a large cage that she has carried with her. Perhaps she could breed them later? That'd be great.

The crocodile-buffalo was something else though. "There is no cage that is going to hold that, we have to put it down. I don't suppose you could help with that?" Astrana asks as she eyes Sam.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ogre in the Playground

Trap Checking

Sam dutifully and gingerly puts all the tiny adorable foxes into the cage. He only coos at them a little bit.
    Because they're adorable.

As for the buffalo, Sam gestures to his shotgun and his non-talking knife.
    "Uh, that's fine, do you need its head intact?" he asks. He's not good with slaughtering animals, and he'd rather do it a meter or two away and without risking getting bitten.

9. - Top - End - #69

Default [Trap Checking]

Into the cage they go, frozen in place until Astrana's spell wears off.

The buffo-dile bellows angrily at the approach of these people and thuds against the side of the pit, but remains more or less helpless.

The monster lurking in the brush picks this time to strike, pouncing out at Astrana.
    Oh, it's just a leopard.
    A leopard with three heads on extensive snakey necks, like a hydra. And a long, fluffy tail, and eyes all about where a creature ought not have eyes.
    The plan is simple enough: knock the trapper down with its momentum and then bite at her neck and joints.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

10. - Top - End - #70

Trap Checking

Well, Astrana is pouched on and she falls to the ground, just trying to cover her face and neck with her arms. Her hyena growls and attempts to bite one of the leopard heads by the neck.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ogre in the Playground

Trap Checking

Sam blinks, and for just a second stares dumbly as the leopard pounces on Astrana. Then, remembering that he has a job to do he straightens, lets out a yell, and charges the thing, attempting to tackle it to the ground where he can summon his gauntlet-shields and press the monster into the ground.
    He's fairly sure he's heavy enough to be good at pressing things painfully.

12. - Top - End - #72

Default [Trap Checking]

Well, it's nearly as happy biting her arms. And it has more mouths than she has hands to protect herself with, so-
    That's less true now that the hyena has bitten down on one. The thing writhes and struggles, trying to break free...
    And then Sam crashes into it, partly lifting it from Astrana, possibly just getting them all tangled up in one big heap. It twists and claws at him with its front feet.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

13. - Top - End - #73

[Trap Checking]

Astrana is panicked, still holding her arms protectively over her face and throat, just violently kicking her legs underneath the creature in desperation.
    The hyena disengages as Sam charges in, and grabs Astrana by the hair with its jaws, trying to pull her away as the other two fight.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Ogre in the Playground

Trap Checking

Sam does his best to drag the creature away from Astrana, while using his shields to keep all those pointy bits away from him. Though, if it starts attacking with all those head and its claws, those won't be enough. So that being said, Sam tries to use his one free hand to draw his gun and press it to where he figures its heart is and loose a shell.

15. - Top - End - #75

Default [Trap Checking]

The beast is separated from Astrana - she's dragged one way, it the other. Once the hyena lets it go, its neck seems to be healing quite quickly from the bite - regenerating right before their eyes.

Furious at her escape, it redoubles the attack on Sam. Not quite enough shields, are they?

When he shoots it through the chest, one head interrupts his attack and lets out a terrible shriek of pain. The other two converge on the arm with the gun. Attempts to tear him up with claws cease, shocked into some stillness.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

16. - Top - End - #76

[Trap Checking]

Once Astrana is in relative safety the hyena starts to circle around the two fighters, aiming to flank the hydraleopard.
    The warlock will need a moment or two to recover, but she is already reaching for something.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ogre in the Playground

Trap Checking

Sam attempts to move himself so he's instead straddling the creature, which both lets him avoid the back legs and also press his weight on its hips. He quickly empties the second barrel into its chest and tosses the gun away so he can focus on batting away the heads with both of his shields. His jacket is already torn up and his arms bleeding from all their nipping bites.

18. - Top - End - #78

Default [Trap Checking]

Having little success, or perhaps thinking ahead, the hydraleopard slips out from under Sam and tries to get back on its feet, dripping blood (if not quite as much as one would expect). It's not in any condition to keep attacking.

Luckily for it, it can face Sam, Astrana, and the hyena simultaneously.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

19. - Top - End - #79

[Trap Checking]

Astrana is still busy preparing something with her rod, whatever invocation she is using is taking some time to perform.
    Meanwhile the hyena keeps circling and as it sees the jaguar wounded it attempts to bite the other animals hind leg and then pull it with its powerful jaws.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Ogre in the Playground

Trap Checking

Sam grimaces, pulling out Steve the knife, its blade trembling with anticipation.
    "Steve, could I get something...bigger?"
    Lords of the forge I thought you would never ask vibrates the knife, glowing and swiftly changing into a long nodachi.

21. - Top - End - #81

Default [Trap Checking]

The leopard hops to the side, avoiding the bite, and snaps at the hyena with two of its heads, keeping a watch only on Sam. Big swords are a bit more threatening to it than Astrana'a posturing with a stick.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

22. - Top - End - #82

[Trap Checking]

That's good, since Astrana still isn't finished with her incarnation. These things take time you know!
    The hyena quickly backs off when the heads snap at it and then goes back to circling around the leopard, looking for another opening.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ogre in the Playground

Trap Checking

Sam stands there, holding the long blade with trembling hands. He's able to muster the courage to take one step towards the monster, though his eyes dart to Astrana several times. What kind of thing is she doing that takes so darn long?!

24. - Top - End - #84

Default [Trap Checking]

The leopard turns to follow the hyena, and performs a feint with its center head. The actual danger comes from the side head which was watching Sam, which swings around to chomp at the hyena's foreleg even as the whole monster lunges forward.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

25. - Top - End - #85

[Trap Checking]

Oh no you don't!

"SAKRA GOL ROTH'KA!" Astrana yells as the incarnation finally finishes while gesturing at the leopard.
    Channeling the power of a particular animal spirit, a curse will be involved at the interloping leopard. If the curse is successful, the leopard will quickly shrink down to the size of a small mouse.
    Otherwise the hyena's leg will bit bit and it will whine loudly and attempt to bite back and then attempt to pull its leg away.

26. - Top - End - #86

Default [Trap Checking]

The curse takes hold, and the leopard shrinks down to a tiny size.

It whines pitifully. The hyena is so far away. And so big! What's going on!?
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

27. - Top - End - #87
    Ogre in the Playground

Trap Checking

Sam does his best to pounce on the animal with his armored hands. He figures that Astrana would want such a creature.
    "Well, that worked out. I think?" he muses to the tiefling.

28. - Top - End - #88

Trap Checking

"It could have killed me, infected me..." Astrana takes a deep breath, clearly not seeing what there was to be amused about here. "Thanks for the help, I might have been a goner there, which is exactly why I brought you along. Checking these traps is dangerous." She goes to look at the cage. "I had been saving that spell for the trapped beast, but this should do too. It is rare that you catch something like this alive."

29. - Top - End - #89

Default [Trap Checking]

The tiny tiny hydraleopard is furious! It snaps at Sam, probably unable to break his skin with its shrunken proportionate teeth. But boy, is it angry!
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ogre in the Playground

Trap Checking

Sam's holding it with his gauntleted hands, which should be much too hard for simple teeth. With his other hands, Sam pockets Steve the sword again after returning him to portable size and retrieves his gun.
    "So what do you want me to do with it and the...other thing, then? " he asks her.