New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 43 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: The Hunting Grounds IV: Drops Contain 0% RNG

Great Tree

Willa's eyes go wide at the sight of the huge creature. She brings up one more bite of the plains grass she's eating, and goes to follow the odd pair, taking notes on a little pad about the creature. She's never actually seen a hyena up close.
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

2. - Top - End - #152
    Pixie in the Playground

[Great Tree]

A young woman with curly hair as black as night resides in the shadows of the trees, causing its shadow to expand around her. She waits patiently, her long katana unsheathed, dripping with blood as its stench of death lingers in the area.

Her eyes are wide with caution, wary of any beast that would dare to approach her, but she doesn't interfere with Willa, or the red-skinned woman, she simply watches the two of them in the near distance before she starts scouring the tree, and makes her way up to the sky to watch from above, making some noise as she does so.
    Last edited by Lazorath; 2017-06-29 at 04:47 AM.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Bugbear in the Playground

Great Tree

The great hyena suddenly stops dead in its tracks and growls as noises can be heard from above.
    The rider herself (thought dressed differently than in that image) doesn't seem to have noticed until the hyena stopped however, and simply surveys the area for what could have caused it to growl in such a fashion. She eyes Willa with caution, noticing that she is taking notes. "Can I... help you?" She asks as the hyena is looking for potential attackers.
    Last edited by Shadowcaller; 2017-06-29 at 05:42 AM.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Ogre in the Playground

Great Tree

Willa looks up at the tiefling, embarrassed at being called out.
    "Uh, sorry, no. I've just uh, never seen a hyena up close before. I didn't think they were so big. They told me I needed to get close to nature for my job so I've just been trying to keep an eye out for new things is all." she tries to explain.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Pixie in the Playground

Great Tree

"Should I kill them? Should I knock them down?", the woman's mind ran with questions as a blood red aura began to emit from the blade, causing the ancient symbols carved on it to glow the same color.

She grits her teeth and cries out in pain as she attempts to resist the urge, but the blade's blood lust seems to have been wearing out her will power over an extremely long period of time.

Without a moments thought she leaps out of the tree, snapping its branch before she darts between the neighboring shadows of the trees.

"The hyena..." she pauses, her eyes fixed on the fact that it senses her presence, "no...I...have to resist it," she concludes before using the blade to cut her palm which she then uses to smear the body of her blade before she stabs it firmly into the soil causing the ground around them to tremble, "not their blood...theirs can't be spilled...I refuse it!" she rebels with a roar causing the blade to release a monstrous scream that would send all the neighboring birds and animals fleeing in the opposite direction.

"It might be best if you kept your distance," the woman finally addresses them once the screams come to a halt.
    Last edited by Lazorath; 2017-06-29 at 10:31 AM.

6. - Top - End - #156
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by WarKitty View Post
    Forest

Suddenly, a rabbit blinks up above the burrow quickly, perched on a nearby ledge! It's only there for a moment though.
    Just like the blink hounds in Faerun! thinks Ne-Gok-Sa.

Hounds, give chase! Aim for the head, do not ruin the edible meat! telepathically order Ne-Gok-Sa, as he leads them in the way he thinks the blink bunny went.
    "I'M just a guy with a boomerang... I didn't ask for all this flying... and MAGIC!!!" -Sokka

Quote Originally Posted by Wuff View Post
    the biggest nerd ever who transforms into BEAR is of course alluring.

7. - Top - End - #157

Great Tree

Astrana is about to reply when she is interrupted by the commotion.
    The hyena immediately turns to the sound of screaming, causing the tiefling to be thrown off it as it snaps around so quickly. That fall might hurt!

8. - Top - End - #158
    Ogre in the Playground

The Great Tree

Willa scrabbles forward and does her best to catch the woman as she flies off the hyena's back. Those four legs are good for speed, if nothing else. Either way.
    "Should we bail? I saw we bail. Right around now." the centaur says firmly.

9. - Top - End - #159
    Pixie in the Playground

Great Tree

The temperature of the forest falls faster by the second as a hazy mist begins to consume the perimeter.

In the distance where the female resides you can clearly see that she's no longer alone. There's another creature that stands before her, you're not entirely certain what it could be, but you know for a fact that it isn't human.

The image of the creature in the hazy distance:

"I'm sorry," the woman cries out in pain and exhaustion as she drops to her knees before the beast, its glowing eyes gleaming down upon her, "brother...have mercy on me...have mercy on them, spare them please," she begs as she pulls off the hood of her black cloak, but the creature instantly looks to the distance where the red-skinned woman and Willa reside.

"Enough!" she roars, struggling to her feet as the beast approaches them, slowly at first but as he grows closer his pace and desire to shed blood heightens.

In moments the creature sees them standing before him, his eyes hungry for blood. He lifts his blade in an attempt to strike them down with a single blow, but the woman instantly appears from nowhere as a barrier between the beast and the two women, colliding her blade with the beasts.

"Let them go!" she roars, struggling to hold off the beast that looks back to her, infuriated until his free hand curls into a fist and bashes her stomach which sends her body flying to the side before she crashes into the ground.
    Last edited by Lazorath; 2017-06-29 at 02:50 PM.

10. - Top - End - #160

Great Tree

Was that a question...?

Astrana glances to the side for a moment, there was a monster right there. There was no time to get up her mount again, especially as he was so startled.

She looks back at Willa and makes a snap decision, it turned out she already had a mount right here...

"I'll get us out, just trust me." She promises before she speaks some words of power. "KOZOTH-LAK!" It is a ancient oath, a promise, allowing a nightmare into the world for a brief moment. The spirit is immediately drawn to Willa, having the horse-like body it was so accustomed to and will attempt to take possession of her. If it succeeds, Willa will suddenly be beset by the madness of fear, her whole body suddenly fulled by fear that would cause most to have a heart attack. But the nightmare won't let its new "mount" die so easily. Instead Willa's body will be driven far beyond its physical limit as Astrana attempts to gets up on her back and hold on tight.

In exchange for letting it possessing Willa, the nightmare would allow Astrana direct it in a direction and keep her from falling of its "mount", no matter how fast it moved.

Will be feel that there is only one direction to flee in her sudden madness, and if she moves in that direction, she will be able to cross any natural obstacle with ease, almost as if she was galloping in the air.

11. - Top - End - #161
    Ogre in the Playground

Great Tree

Willa starts to say something, but only a shriek escapes her lips. Willa bolts, weaving easily past pedestrians and mobilizing guards and hunters. Past stalls and huts and roots, it isn't long before the pair have put half the town between themselves and the monster in the mist.

Though Astrana might have a bumpier ride than she expected, as Willa's arms lock in fear. She might still squirm free, but if not she'll be carried like a sack of potatoes instead of the more comfortable seat on Willa's back.

12. - Top - End - #162
    Pixie in the Playground

Great Tree

Upon summoning the spirit, the beast before them attempts to land an attack before they can escape. It charges in once more attempting to attack them when a chain wraps around its neck and with a gigantic pull a wave of darkness swarms upon the chain, pulling him to the ground as he collapses to the ground.

The creature roars in fury as the woman rushes forth in pain, her blade ready in hand as she quickly climbs on top of the beast before it grips her throat and begins to choke the life out of her.

With her losing oxygen as each second passes she quickly uses all her strength to drive her blade through the heart of the beast. It remains unharmed, but remains frozen in shock.

"You've raised far too much attention to me," she growls the moment the beast releases its grip, causing her to gasp for air, "return to me brother, and remain docile," she urges as the beast releases a final firm roar before its body breaks into the shadows that dissolve back into the blood lusting blade.

With a final breath the girl collapses onto her knees, it's clear that she's in need of medical attention, but knowing that the women managed to escape was the only true silver lining.

Without another word she crawls into the shadows, roaming through the town in search of medical supplies to patch herself up before she heads out once more.

13. - Top - End - #163

Great Tree

While the nightmare would ensure that Astrana wouldn't fall off, the warlock did not expect the ride to be gentle considering what the spirit would drive Willa to do. But she wouldn't complain as this would increase her chance to survive this sudden attack.

After Willa have covered quite a distance, and Astrana no longer could see the beast, she recalls the nightmare, leaving Willa free from its influence. She would now be able to see clearly again without being driven mad by fear.
    Last edited by Shadowcaller; 2017-06-30 at 01:02 AM.

14. - Top - End - #164
    Ogre in the Playground

Great Tree

Willla blinks, shaking her head as it clears from the nightmare's influence. She looks at Astrana and drops the tiefling unceremoniously, hopefully on her feet.
    "You've got some nerve, lady. I outta whack you one for messing with my head." she growls, just for a second that western accent of Libra's crawling back into her voice.

15. - Top - End - #165

Great Tree

Astrana lands on her feet this time, she had been ready for this. "I just saved us both, that is worth a small sacrifice, no? A life is worth more than a moments loss of self-control." She replies, putting her hands on her hips. "I'm just hoping Hastur was as lucky as us. That beast was a nasty piece of work."

16. - Top - End - #166
    Ogre in the Playground

Great Tree

"You're suggesting I couldn't have done all that on my own. You possess me and then you insult me? You owe me one, lady." grumps the centaur, crossing her arms under her chest.
    "Your monster is fine. We'd hear him if he was wounded." Willa then suggests.

17. - Top - End - #167
    Pixie in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Celticbear View Post
    Right, Fen, I got ourselves a plan, starts Kurrack, quietly of course.

I'm going to go over yonder, far away from this crater, and activate my chainsword while you sneak down the side of the crater and snatch that artifact. It'll be risky, which is why I am currently praying to the ancestors that these birds of prey will see a kinship in me. If you find anything bigger than an elephant, book it. You said you had experience before this, so if there is something small and handle-able, I trust you to take care of it. Any questions?
    'Right' says Fendrick, more to himself than to Kurrack; it seems he is trying to prepare himself for the task ahead.

Fendrick then can use his gladius to cut through any foliage that may get in his way. Also, he lowers himself onto all fours to enable him to be stealthier and reach through smaller gaps. He starts through the foliage, on the look out for any opposition.

18. - Top - End - #168

Great Tree

"With all due respect, miss, I don't believe a life or death situation like that calls for pride. I wouldn't want to take that risk simply for the opportunity for you to prove yourself. For aiding you escape, I don't owe you anything." Astrana argues calmly. "And again, that monster was more than capable of killing Hastur, and us, instantly, giving us little chance to make sounds. Hence why I considered of utter importance to get out of its reach as quickly as possible."

She looks in the direction they come from. "But it appears he is fine. Lucky me." The tiefling remarks as they can see the huge hyena coming towards them.

Mysterious Crater

Once Fendrick starts climbing down the crater, he will be met of the smell of decay. There is something foul hiding underneath all this foliage. Not only that, but he hears the sound of insects too, flies to be exact. As he starts descending the trees, the start to swarm around him. They're not really attacking him though, they're simply landing upon him and walking over his armor, clothes and skin, which is a uncomfortable feeling all on its own.

Further down he can see the rotting bodies of gigantic beasts that were hidden by the foliage. The flies are swarming these dead cadavers, building nests and laying eggs in them, creating a intense buzzing that will ring in his ears as he climbs further down. It is at this point he might notice that these enormous rotting bodies have attracted other creatures as well. Massive hyenas the size of horses are walking around on the ground underneath him, gnawing on the ancient bones of titans.

He might need to consider some kind of plan before he gets down on the ground, that is a lot of scavengers....

19. - Top - End - #169
    Ogre in the Playground

Great Tree

"Well it didn't actually do anything, so I don't know how you know....but fine. We'll just start fresh. I'm Willa. Herd shaman." Willa says, trying her best to be civil to the lady that is clearly much better at doing spirit-related things than she is. The centaur extends a hand to the tiefling.

20. - Top - End - #170
    Ogre in the Playground

Mysterious Crater

Krrack runs slightly away from the crater and unsheathes and activates his chainsword. He then yells at the top of his three lungs (alien), Hey animals of all walks of life! I am alone and afraid. It would be a shame if a pack of wolves or a murder of crows suddenly decides to eat my defenseless hide!
    "I'M just a guy with a boomerang... I didn't ask for all this flying... and MAGIC!!!" -Sokka

Quote Originally Posted by Wuff View Post
    the biggest nerd ever who transforms into BEAR is of course alluring.

21. - Top - End - #171

Quote Originally Posted by LordDeathkeeper View Post
    Great Tree

"Well it didn't actually do anything, so I don't know how you know....but fine. We'll just start fresh. I'm Willa. Herd shaman." Willa says, trying her best to be civil to the lady that is clearly much better at doing spirit-related things than she is. The centaur extends a hand to the tiefling.
    Great Tree

"I didn't, but I refused to take that chance." Astrana replies, she does not take the centaurs hand however. "Let's introduce ourselves somewhere safer though. I am not planning to stay around here." She gets up on Hastur and starts riding in the direction of huntside itself. Only behind those walls would she feel safe after that attack.

22. - Top - End - #172
    Ogre in the Playground

[Great Tree]

Willa looks back at the town.
    "Yeah, point taken..." she mutters. With a groan, she follows after Astrana. She doesn't even really know why, but she hadn't been going to stick around Huntside anyway. She'd gotten what she came for and had just been stopping to eat.

23. - Top - End - #173

Great Tree==>Mess Hall

She should have eaten inside the walls instead, monsters apparently lurk everywhere around here.
    Astrana swings the door open as she enters the mess hall, her tail moving back and fourth as she saunters over to the cleanest unoccupied table in the place. "So, you wanted to introduce yourself to me? I am Astrana Tyamera, and I work for MERC." She claims, offering her hand across the table.

24. - Top - End - #174
    Ogre in the Playground

Mess Hall

Unfortunately the tables at the Mess Hall are rather traditional tables and benches. Willa sits down next to the table since she can't use the seats. And even then the boards are not very comfortable on her knees.
    "I'm Willa. I just became shaman for my herd. So...yeah." she explains, taking her hand.

25. - Top - End - #175
    Pixie in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcaller View Post
    Mysterious Crater

Once Fendrick starts climbing down the crater, he will be met of the smell of decay. There is something foul hiding underneath all this foliage. Not only that, but he hears the sound of insects too, flies to be exact. As he starts descending the trees, the start to swarm around him. They're not really attacking him though, they're simply landing upon him and walking over his armor, clothes and skin, which is a uncomfortable feeling all on its own.

Further down he can see the rotting bodies of gigantic beasts that were hidden by the foliage. The flies are swarming these dead cadavers, building nests and laying eggs in them, creating a intense buzzing that will ring in his ears as he climbs further down. It is at this point he might notice that these enormous rotting bodies have attracted other creatures as well. Massive hyenas the size of horses are walking around on the ground underneath him, gnawing on the ancient bones of titans.

He might need to consider some kind of plan before he gets down on the ground, that is a lot of scavengers....
    Mysterious Crater

Krrack runs slightly away from the crater and unsheathes and activates his chainsword. He then yells at the top of his three lungs (alien), Hey animals of all walks of life! I am alone and afraid. It would be a shame if a pack of wolves or a murder of crows suddenly decides to eat my defenseless hide!
    Mysterious Crater

Fendrick pauses, and looks about at the flies in disgust. He hates flies. Also, he's not keen on dead rotting corpses, either. Fendrick doesn't think he's been noticed by the giant hyena beasts yet... he stays still for now so not to draw their attention. He hears Kurrack's cry and waits to see what the response will be.

26. - Top - End - #176
    Ettin in the Playground

Forest

Just like the blink hounds in Faerun! thinks Ne-Gok-Sa.

Hounds, give chase! Aim for the head, do not ruin the edible meat! telepathically order Ne-Gok-Sa, as he leads them in the way he thinks the blink bunny went.
    The bunny sees the dogs and blinks back out of existence...and right back into its burrow.
    Hail to the Lord of Death and Destruction!
    CATNIP FOR THE CAT GOD! YARN FOR THE YARN THRONE! MILK FOR THE MILK BOWL!

27. - Top - End - #177

Mysterious Crater

The closest of the giant vultures look up as they hear the sound of the chainsword. The sound of it combined with the shouting is causing some of them to take off and circle in the sky above Krrack. But they do not attack him, they are scavengers after all, not predators.

However, Krrack might notice that some of the foliage near him have started moving. It would seem something else have been attracted by all the noise he's making.

Down in the crater, the hyenas look up towards the sound, causing a momentary distraction. However, it will still be difficult to sneak past all these animals. Though considering there seem to be hyena pups around here, they are unlikely to want to leave this area easily.

Mess Hall

Her 'herd'? Did these centaurs actually want to get confused with animals? That was just an awful name for a group of people, it was like gnolls calling themselves a 'pack', or merpeople calling themselves a 'shoal'. Just becase there was a group of animals that were similar to them, should they actually name themselves after them? Simply terrible.

Astrana does not let any of these thoughts come to the surface though, she just smiles at the so-called shaman. "Shaman, you say? Are you native to these lands then, or are you a newcomer like myself?"

28. - Top - End - #178
    Ogre in the Playground

[Mess Hall]

"I was born out in the country, but I moved to where the Black herd resides now when they adopted me. Well, my family. I'm still new to most of it. I don't think I ever wore scarves before this, let alone just them." Willa explains, adjusting her scarf which got rather right around her neck when she was galloping around the town.

29. - Top - End - #179

[Mess Hall]

"Uhu." Astrana replies, glancing at the scarf which had to hold some particular importance as Willa had just brought it up. Some bizarre tradition she supposed considering magic was employed to uphold it. "So why were you granted this role then? Do you have any inherited abilities?"

30. - Top - End - #180
    Ogre in the Playground

[Mess Hall]

"It's tradition for centaurs with opposite color hair like I do to take the role as shaman. It was also because I had used borrowed magic before, so I had aptitude to learn magic. Even though the herd's scrolls weren't horribly descriptive and I haven't figured it out all that well yet." Willa admits with a slightly embarrassed shrug.