New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 24 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Banned

Default Re: Villainous Competition XVI: Burn Baby Burn

Well, I'm just going by what previous judges have done, which is penalising non-compliant entries in the area of Elegance.

Not to mention that since 'mechanically pretty' partly refers to the following of D&D 3.5 RAW, and the contest's rules should be taken as hard-and-fast as aforementioned RAW in context of the competition, 'mechanically pretty' could, conceivably, apply to how well a given entry follows both RAW and requirements.

2. - Top - End - #212

i changed phoenix and that guys scores, by the way
    Last edited by Ywvbevlin; 2016-11-17 at 11:01 PM.

3. - Top - End - #213
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ywvbevlin View Post
    i changed phoenix and that guys scores, by the way
    It's been edited. My intention for future scores changes in this regard is to re-check the scores after a round of disputes go by.

Currently Recruiting WW/Mafia: Logic's Deathloop Mafia and Cazero's Graduates Of Hope's Peak - Danganronpa Mafia

Quote Originally Posted by Xumtiil View Post
    An Abattoir Vecna, if you will.
    My Homebrew

4. - Top - End - #214
    Banned

Can't wait for the disputes. I haven't submitted any myself but I always find them interesting to read.

5. - Top - End - #215
    Barbarian in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by remetagross View Post
    I'd suggest Creation Gone Horribly Wrong! I can envision many different ways to interpret this theme, and it is a staple of villains too :)
    Ooooh...that sounds really cool...

Mwahahaha...
    Last edited by The_Iron_Lord; 2016-11-17 at 10:41 PM. Reason: Typo
    Quote Originally Posted by Segev View Post
    English is actually a very precise language in a lot of ways, and American English in particular has a habit of following other languages down back alleys, clubbing them over the head, and rifling through their lexicons that I think is very healthy for its evolution.
    My extended signature!

My PbP info

78% of DMs started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% who didn't, copy/paste this into your sig.
    Mine started in the battle arena of the capital city

6. - Top - End - #216
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

I'd like to see an awful lawful (lawful neutral) Round.

7. - Top - End - #217

Can I ask if judges MUST respond to dispute?

8. - Top - End - #218
    Titan in the Playground

Thumbs up Re: Villainous Competition XVI: Burn Baby Burn

"Must" is a fairly strong way to word it, but it's generally considered good form to reply to disputes.

9. - Top - End - #219
    Banned

Devil

You sign up for being a judge, you should be aware that an appeal process is there, and it's your responsibility to actually respond to those events. You're free not to, we can't literally come and force you to respond to the appeals, but just because the entrant questions your rulings, doesn't mean you have to change them either.

Thurbane is being generous when he say's it's good form. I argued against sideliners thinking that they have something worthwhile to say when they're unwilling to give up their time to judge, and critique someone elses judging without doing so themselves. That's unfair on the judges. However, a judge has to be aware that they may not always be completely correct with some of their judgings, and should be prepared to address the concerns that a contestant has with their score.

I'm not going to lie, though, that unless in the discussion that comes forward, a judge shows further misunderstanding of the rules to which you're referring, there shouldn't be a continuation of the appeal. You should only have a single appeal for your scores, and after that, any further misunderstanding is as a result of the appeal process not being completely explicit in laying out everything it does. This includes proper sourcing, and ELI5'ing for the obscure tricks you're pulling. And in regards to this competition, where you have explicit requirements like fire subtype and an at will fire damage, do me a favour and tell me where you get that from. Please source properly, and by that, I mean a list of non-core books/Wizards Archive Articles used to make your build, with each bit of content taken from it listed alongside.

The judge has the responsibility to ensure that things are kept fair, and the appeal process allows that. This is a social situation, and you wouldn't dictate to your social circle/gaming group "This build is not powerful enough, this build is inelegant, this build doesn't do what I asked you to, this build is unoriginal and boring af" and then have someone try to discourse with you, and then ignore them.

They are real people on the other side of the screen. Everyone should respect that.

10. - Top - End - #220
    Banned

What a well-written and stirring defense of the judging and dispute systems, Vaz. I would clap for you if you could hear it.

How's your judging coming along?

11. - Top - End - #221
    Titan in the Playground

Ooze round sounds fun, but lawful round does too. Villainous doesn't necessarily mean evil, does it?

Also, I'm not too sure how to react to the judging. When each aspect of my build is getting a single line of text, it's very hard for me to find something to respond to. I don't know what the judge's reasons for giving my build these specific scores are, so for any meaningful criticism I'd first need to know why I was given them.
    Last edited by Inevitability; 2016-11-18 at 02:47 AM.
    Creator of the LA-assignment thread.

Come join the new Junkyard Wars and build with SLAs and a breath weapon!

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

12. - Top - End - #222

Quote Originally Posted by Dire_Stirge View Post
    Also, I'm not too sure how to react to the judging. When each aspect of my build is getting a single line of text, it's very hard for me to find something to respond to. I don't know what the judge's reasons for giving my build these specific scores are, so for any meaningful criticism I'd first need to know why I was given them.
    While I'm all for only having one round of disputes - I've judged before, so I know the pain and the lengths that some may go to - I feel there are some circumstances in which extra rounds are justified. In this case, if Ywvbevlin feels like responding to disputes, I wouldn't consider it unreasonable to spend one round clarifying and a second round "disputing" (if there's something to dispute).

As long as it doesn't become a five-round long process of "yes it does work, no it doesn't," I don't see why one should have to sacrifice their chance to dispute just because a judge failed to elaborate on an issue they had with the build.
    The Forsaker: A 3.5e revamp.
    Spoiler: CharOP
    Show
    IC 56: Bolivar d'Kundarak (Silver)
    IC 76: Xander Marchand (Silver)
    IC 82: North and East and Gripp (Tied for Gold!)
    VC 17: Liridon (Silver)
    JW 5: Nyan (Gold)
    ZS 24: Isabel (Gold)

13. - Top - End - #223
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Muggins View Post
    As long as it doesn't become a five-round long process of "yes it does work, no it doesn't," I don't see why one should have to sacrifice their chance to dispute just because a judge failed to elaborate on an issue they had with the build.
    Well, in the case of rules interpretation disputes, it's probably best that the Chairman give a ruling and have everyone stick to that.

14. - Top - End - #224
    Bugbear in the Playground

For the next Competition if i may make a suggestion
    Justified evil, i go to hell and back. ideally the character has something traumatic happen in his life and he is out for revenge
    Quote Originally Posted by Flappeercraft
    NAAARUUUUTOOOOOOOO

15. - Top - End - #225

I would like oozes and creation gone wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    Imagine how many problems you can solve, how many ways you can help your friends, when not constrained by paltry morality! Imagine how much good you can achieve when you're willing to go to any length to achieve it! Imagine the monsters you can slay when you are the greatest monster of them all!
    Company Website: http://lernaeanstudio.com
    PF 3pp Subreddit I Mod: r/Pathfinder3pp

16. - Top - End - #226
    Banned

I would like not oozes, because I really don't want to have to waste build resources doing nothing but trying to give the damned thing an intelligence score, and I don't really like the concept anyway. An ooze isn't a villain: it's a big dumb block of goop that you fight once and soon wish you hadn't.

17. - Top - End - #227
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jormengand View Post
    I would like not oozes, because I really don't want to have to waste build resources doing nothing but trying to give the damned thing an intelligence score, and I don't really like the concept anyway. An ooze isn't a villain: it's a big dumb block of goop that you fight once and soon wish you hadn't.
    Agreed; even if you just say that it's awakened, there's not much to do with a living block of Jello.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

18. - Top - End - #228

Seconding not oozes. I mean, I'm sure some people here could do some really cool stuff with them, but they'd probably be in the minority.
    Creation going horribly wrong is pretty cool, but I have to wonder exactly what the requirements would be.
    That's all I can think of, at any rate.

All hail the mighty Strigon! One only has to ask, and one shall receive.

19. - Top - End - #229
    Banned

Devil

No oozes, please. There are 2 PrC's, and the rest are mindless. They're bad guys at best, neutral opponents at worst. Villain is pushing it.

20. - Top - End - #230

Quote Originally Posted by Vaz View Post
    No oozes, please. There are 2 PrC's, and the rest are mindless. They're bad guys at best, neutral opponents at worst. Villain is pushing it.
    Sentry ooze could work.
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    Imagine how many problems you can solve, how many ways you can help your friends, when not constrained by paltry morality! Imagine how much good you can achieve when you're willing to go to any length to achieve it! Imagine the monsters you can slay when you are the greatest monster of them all!
    Company Website: http://lernaeanstudio.com
    PF 3pp Subreddit I Mod: r/Pathfinder3pp

21. - Top - End - #231

Creation gone wrong sounds interesting. I completely agree on the Ooze dislikes. Earth themed villain could be interesting as in must be able to manipulate earth and stone. I'd avoid the earth subtype though.

22. - Top - End - #232
    Banned

I don't think we should have two elementally-themed rounds in a row.

23. - Top - End - #233
    Dwarf in the Playground

What about some weird alternative themes like sound? Have a silence theme for a villain the makes no noise and is out to silence the rest of the world. Or a loud theme bring the boom to as many ears as they can reach.

Sound may be to broad of a category though, but just a thought for a variation.

24. - Top - End - #234
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ezekiul View Post
    What about some weird alternative themes like sound? Have a silence theme for a villain the makes no noise and is out to silence the rest of the world. Or a loud theme bring the boom to as many ears as they can reach.

Sound may be to broad of a category though, but just a thought for a variation.
    Well, the broader the theme, the better, really. Of course, there will invariably be mechanical restrictions, but generally there will be a varied turnout anyway.

I'm curious as to what you mean by 'alternative themes'.

25. - Top - End - #235
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tiri View Post
    Well, the broader the theme, the better, really. Of course, there will invariably be mechanical restrictions, but generally there will be a varied turnout anyway.

I'm curious as to what you mean by 'alternative themes'.
    Maybe alternative wasn't the best word to use.

Maybe just less cliche themes, but a sound villain is a little cliche too.

26. - Top - End - #236

If we do sound, I have what might be my best idea ever.
    That's all I can think of, at any rate.

All hail the mighty Strigon! One only has to ask, and one shall receive.

27. - Top - End - #237
    Ogre in the Playground

How bout an "unexoected" Villain Theme?
    Fluff, Classes, etc usually very much not Villain Material used for ....bad (if not EVIL) ends?

Otherwise the Creation gone horribly wrong works too (even if that would be better regarding moddability with pathfinders ARG Rules^^).

Also: wow, didnt expect that many entries.
    A neutron walks into a bar and says, “How much for a beer?” The bartender says, “For you? No charge.”

01010100011011110010000001100010011001010010000001 10111101110010001000000110111001101111011101000010 00000111010001101111001000000110001001100101001011 100010111000101110

Later: An atom walks into a bar an asks the bartender “Have you seen an electron? I left it in here last night.” The bartender says, “Are you sure?” The atom says, “I’m positive.”

28. - Top - End - #238
    Banned

Devil

"Less cliche" becomes a Cliche all of its own.

29. - Top - End - #239
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by GrayDeath View Post
    How bout an "unexoected" Villain Theme?
    Fluff, Classes, etc usually very much not Villain Material used for ....bad (if not EVIL) ends?
    The problem with that is that classes that would be unusual for a villain usually have alignment restrictions that prevent them being used as villains anyway.

30. - Top - End - #240
    Ogre in the Playground

That depends on the Definition of Villain.
    Of course if this includes "Must be Evil" then....well, out of luck. Yet with the right way of looking a things (or heck, not knowing what bad things happen because of it) even a Paladin can be a great Villain.
    After all:

"The Greatest Evil is not comitted by a Devil, or a Demon. It is comitted by a Saint."
    Last edited by GrayDeath; 2016-11-18 at 01:10 PM.
    A neutron walks into a bar and says, “How much for a beer?” The bartender says, “For you? No charge.”

01010100011011110010000001100010011001010010000001 10111101110010001000000110111001101111011101000010 00000111010001101111001000000110001001100101001011 100010111000101110

Later: An atom walks into a bar an asks the bartender “Have you seen an electron? I left it in here last night.” The bartender says, “Are you sure?” The atom says, “I’m positive.”