Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default The Roleplaying Things That Shall Not Be Named

TRPGs are great. They make a great pastime, way to socialize, and a good thing to make a forum about.

However, there are controversial/bad/embarrassing things this medium cooked up. Let's mention what those things are!

Book of Erotic Fantasy: Although I have never read this book, I know enough about it to stay away in order to avoid criticism. (Please mention more if you have read it)

Alignment: we all have our opinion on it, but talking about it starts wars.

AD&D Paladin item limits: "Hey fighter, can you carry this dancing vorpal short sword +3 for me?"
    I'm a Lawful Good Human Paladin
    Justice and honor are a heavy burden for the righteous. We carry this weight so that the weak may grow strong and the meek grow brave
    The Acts of Iomedae, Pathfinder
    Quote Originally Posted by Quibbilcious View Post
    I lost my artistic license after getting stuck in a poetry jam.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: The Roleplaying Things That Shall Not Be Named

F.A.T.A.L.

Manual of Exalted Power: Infernals Chapters 1-2.

Black Tokyo

Cthulhutech

Wraethu (I think thats the name, though I might've forgotten)

Samuel Haight from World of Darkness

Encyclopedia Arcane: Nymphology

all I can really remember. I'm not gonna go into why, just give you fair warning that you might not want to look any of these things up.
    My Fan Fiction:
    To Catch A Mew
    A Kalos based pokemon fan fic. Now up to Chapter 25! I'm also on discord as "raziere".

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Harlequin (Shadowrun), Drizz't (Forgotten Realms), and other narrative Mary Sues and Marty Stus.
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince Zahn View Post
    Warning! The typical D&D game concerns itself with and may contain racial and class-based stereotypes, poaching, xenophobia, religious fanaticism, mindless violence, illegal behavior, frequent bard-on-tavernmaid action, and animal cruelty. Player discretion is advised.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Drizz't comes to mind. Not solely for being marty sue, but because he is oh so awesome...as a CR 20 that fights cr 1/2s a lot and is good at it. He has had all of like 1 encounter with something I would consider CR appropriate from what I read, in which chaotic evil stupid is beaten by marty stu, with lulz as his win con. I have no problem with high level characters, buts regular orcs at CR 20 are not a threat.

FATAL
    CTECH's problem of combining everything, and having 3 entirely different combat systems that are supposed to somehow play nice and all be equally relevant.

Quintessential Temptress should be forgotten. BoEF and nymphology have some stuff that is actually good.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Post Re: The Roleplaying Things That Shall Not Be Named

Most things I was gonna mention have been named so I'll go with...

Munchkins (the actual kind, not the card game)
    Professional Sorcerer Advocate.

Winner of the Base Class Contest XXXX 'Happy Little Accidents'
    Winning Entry: The Antiquarian (Artifacts, Options).
    Runner Up for Base Class Context XXXXI 'It's In Our Nature'
    Entry: The Egregore (Vermin Companion)

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

"But that's what my character would do!" following a certainly dickish manuever.
    Warlock Poetry?
    Or ways to use me in game?
    Better grab a drink...

Currently ruining Strahd's day - Avatar by the Outstanding Smuchsmuch

First Ordained Jr. Tormlet by LoyalPaladin

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

d20 Re: The Roleplaying Things That Shall Not Be Named

The World of Synnibar (seriously, this game is terrible... even if it's not quite as bad as FATAL)

RP Snobs- "What, you guys actually entered combat!? But, that, like, means you actually used your dice! You're a ROLLplayer!!!1!11!!!!1one!!!1!!!!onehundredandeleven!!!!!"

Disruptive players who seem to only be able to have fun by spoiling other people's (such as deliberately seeking ways to break the DM's story/ world)

Pedantic rules lawyers (especially the ones who only engage in pedantry when it is to their PC's benefit, and keep silent if enforcing the RAW would hinder them)

Drown-healing

AD&D 1E's artwork

Edition wars
    Last edited by Batou1976; 2016-10-31 at 04:36 AM. Reason: st00pid monkey >:\
    Mean People Suck

The Lord of the Rings is not a trilogy; words have meanings, and cannot be arbitrarily redefined just because you're lazy and/or careless. Or, put another way: Infer we shoe to gobble the blueberry jazz musician? Spleen! Water crackers pontificate when sebum roasts merrily for the lagoon.

You can either roll a DIE (singular), or multiple DICE (plural).

Association for Renaissance Martial Arts

8. - Top - End - #8

Devil

Palladium's Megaverse and Paizo's Pathfinder. More like legal code than game systems.

Table Jedi who preach the only proper way to game is their way.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Knitifine View Post
    Most things I was gonna mention have been named so I'll go with...

Munchkins (the actual kind, not the card game)
    Those little donuts? I love those!

Last edited by Vizzerdrix; 2016-10-31 at 01:35 PM.
    ,,,,^..^,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by Haldir View Post
    Edit- I understand it now, Fighters are like a status symbol. If you're well off enough to own a living Fighter, you must be pretty well off!

10. - Top - End - #10
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 8BitNinja View Post
    Book of Erotic Fantasy: Although I have never read this book, I know enough about it to stay away in order to avoid criticism. (Please mention more if you have read it)
    Of the various "adult" third-party rules supplements, the BoEF is probably the least offensive. I've actually incorporated a few things from it into my Pathfinder campaign.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Halfling in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Batou1976 View Post
    AD&D 1E's artwork
    Hey, what's your beef with AD&D art? I like it even more than the 3.5 art. It makes for fun charcoal sketching.

As for the BoEF, it's pretty tasteful. The first couple of chapters talk about the sexual habits and reproduction cycles of D&D races, including kobolds, goblinoids, minotaurs, and other less-thought-about races. It includes a few deities, some for sex, marriage, and a goblin procreation goddess, as well as an evil rape god. There's also prices for prostitution, which comes in handy for post-adventure revelry, and a chastity feat that gives a +2 to any stat. Oh, and the disrobe spell is both funny and can cause defeat-by-modesty. Beyond that, the rules it adds are nonsensical or would be uncomfortable in the typical D&D group. So, a mixed bag, but it has some useful info.
    Where's what's-her-name, the chick with the pigtails?
    Jirix: Tsukiko? She was here when the sewer team reported in...
    Anyone seen her since?
    Jirix: No.
    No.
    Demon Roaches: No. Nope.
    Not since I brutally murdered her ten minutes ago, no.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

I liked 1E artwork. Amateurish lineart, particularly for monsters, has sort of a "field guide made by some in-universe adventurer" feel. I miss charmingly-bad art.

However, I'd call 5e's halfling art a Thing That Shall Not Be Named. It's not charmingly-bad, it's outright uncanny-valley disturbing.
    Spoiler: Playground Quotes
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Safety Sword View Post
    JAL_1138: Founding Member of the Paranoid Adventurer's Guild.
    Quote Originally Posted by TeChameleon View Post
    - If it's something mortals were not meant to know, I've already found six different ways to blow myself and/or someone else up with it.
    Gnomish proverb

I use blue text for silliness and/or sarcasm. Do not take anything I say in blue text seriously, except for this sentence and the one preceding it.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Batou1976 View Post
    Drown-healing
    I have no idea on what that is and I'm scared to "Google" it.

AD&D 1E's artwork

No it's 2e that should be ashamed!

What with its gaudy color and those dang-blast-it horned helmets!

Edition wars
    But there so fun! Half the fun of dimly remembered perfect games is ragging on currently actually played games, dagnabbit!

Quote Originally Posted by PinkSpray View Post
    Palladium's Megaverse and Paizo's Pathfinder. More like legal code than game systems.
    Preach it!

Table Jedi who preach the only proper way to game is their way.
    Well isn't it?

Extended Sig
    D&D Alignment history
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    Does the game you play feature a Dragon sitting on a pile of treasure, in a Dungeon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    You're an NPC stat block."I remember when your race was your class you damned whippersnappers"
    Snazzy Avatar by Honest Tiefling!

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

In before the lock!

However, there are controversial/bad/embarrassing things this medium cooked up. Let's mention what those things are!
    Does it have to be things in books? Because if not, 'gamers with Issues with women' springs immediately to mind as a topic that could fill this entire thread forum.

AD&D2's Complete Book of Elves, aka the Elven Master Racebook. (Short form: "Elves are better than you. Period.")

Lots of game cover art. Especially the cover of Exalted's Savant and Sorcerer. 9_9

If just plain bad stuff counts, we could fill the thread with shovelware, failed attempts at exhaustive realism, and reams of boring backstory.
    Imagine if all real-world conversations were like internet D&D conversations...
    Protip: DnD is an incredibly social game played by some of the most socially inept people on the planet - Lev
    I read this somewhere and I stick to it: "I would rather play a bad system with my friends than a great system with nobody". - Trevlac
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    That said, trolling is entirely counterproductive (yes, even when it's hilarious).

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by JAL_1138 View Post
    I liked 1E artwork. Amateurish lineart, particularly for monsters, has sort of a "field guide made by some in-universe adventurer" feel. I miss charmingly-bad art.

However, I'd call 5e's halfling art a Thing That Shall Not Be Named. It's not charmingly-bad, it's outright uncanny-valley disturbing.
    I'm inclined to agree. Later-edition art, in my opinion, often suffers from "awesomeness inflation," with the exception of 5e halflings, which go in the opposite direction of "incredibly creepy."

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    I have no idea on what that is and I'm scared to "Google" it.
    In 3e, drowning creatures had their HP set to 0 when they started to drown. So if they were at negative HP, you could "heal" them up to 0HP by drowning them. It was quite silly.

No it's 2e that should be ashamed!

What with its gaudy color and those dang-blast-it horned helmets!
    2e art was hit-or-miss. When it tried for realism or seriousness (particularly realism and seriousness), it usually missed pretty bad. But when it got Tony DiTerlizzi's storybook-esque sketches and watercolors, it knocked it out of the park. Toss-up between him and Erol Otus (B/X and some early-ish 1e era) as to who did the best D&D art, to me.

Quote Originally Posted by VoxRationis View Post
    I'm inclined to agree. Later-edition art, in my opinion, often suffers from "awesomeness inflation," with the exception of 5e halflings, which go in the opposite direction of "incredibly creepy."
    "Awesomeness inflation" is a good term for the issue I have with a lot of it. It tries too hard to be cool or badass or amazing or what-have-you and ends up feeling overblown.
    Last edited by JAL_1138; 2016-10-31 at 05:13 PM.
    Show

- If it's something mortals were not meant to know, I've already found six different ways to blow myself and/or someone else up with it.
    Gnomish proverb

I use blue text for silliness and/or sarcasm. Do not take anything I say in blue text seriously, except for this sentence and the one preceding it.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Halfling in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

D&D 4E.

It's not bad (depending on who you ask, of course), but is certainly controversial. While I wasn't around personally for the edition wars, I've heard it was entertaining to sit back and watch the flames.

18. - Top - End - #18

ElfRangerGuy

I'm of the feeling that 4e had its place. Namely, as a tactical, gridded, turn-based wargame. As far as balance for balance's sake, 4e was fantastic; it just pushed the "tactical combat" aspect so far that comparing it to the (relatively) more open and role-play focused other variants is simply not fair. 4e is not bad, it's just a different game than every other edition.
    Last edited by Rerem115; 2016-10-31 at 06:14 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19

Devil

Forgot: the Storyteller v. Power Gamer conflict that makes no sense.

It's the same thing people. It is ok to have different playstyle if the group embraces that.

20. - Top - End - #20

ElfRangerGuy

Quite possibly the greatest enemy of TTRPGs: the dreaded Schedule Monster. In my experience, work, exams, significant others, and illnesses have killed far more parties than the villains ever have.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rerem115 View Post
    Quite possibly the greatest enemy of TTRPGs: the dreaded Schedule Monster. In my experience, work, exams, significant others, and illnesses have killed far more parties than the villains ever have.
    Amen to that. I havent gamed in a few years now, but not from lack of trying. Just hard to find a group that A-plays in the mornings after I get out of work, and B- likes to play optomized games.

And I have tried to do pbp, but I find my ability to tacticly respond is greatly deminished when things arent flowing at a faster pace.
    ,,,,^..^,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by Haldir View Post
    Edit- I understand it now, Fighters are like a status symbol. If you're well off enough to own a living Fighter, you must be pretty well off!

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PinkSpray View Post
    Palladium is mostly garbage for rules, but they had great settings. but Pathfinder's not nearly on that level.

As for what's not to be named?

"I Iron Heart Surge Gravity"
    "And if you don't, the consequences will be dire!"
    "What? They'll have three extra hit dice and a rend attack?"

Factotum Variants!

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rerem115 View Post
    Amen to this. There's a reason that I don't even try to run games that last longer than 1 semester anymore, because if you've got more than one student in the group scheduling tends to explode the instant schedules get swapped - and that's without getting into cases like "people with kids".
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

24. - Top - End - #24

Actually, the book itself is rather mature about it's fluff content. It takes a very mature worldview on the ideas of sexuality, consent, and what degree of sexuality you want to have in your games. it talks about the things that most manuals are just too embarrassed to talk about, and does so in a very serious manner.

And then you get to the crunch, and there is a lot of stuff that is just comical in its kinkiness.

That said, there are actual things in it worth using. The Appearance stat as separate from Charisma is a nice option, and there are some good concepts addressing things that could actually come up, not the least of which is pregnancy.

As for things that shall not be named: Weapon vs armor types/Weapon initiative modifiers from 1st edition. Just. Wow. Just in case you were having fun, BRING OUT THE CHARTS AGAIN!

Then again, to this day I am STILL not certain how initiative and combat order works in first edition.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ellindsey View Post
    Of the various "adult" third-party rules supplements, the BoEF is probably the least offensive. I've actually incorporated a few things from it into my Pathfinder campaign.
    Book of Vile Darkness: All players have at least heard of it. No one dares to use contents in their campaigns. And my group is WAY beyond the age limitations.
    Until further notice 21st of October, please DM me for important stuff, and let the game master control my characters

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Stealth Marmot View Post
    Actually, the book itself is rather mature about it's fluff content. It takes a very mature worldview on the ideas of sexuality, consent, and what degree of sexuality you want to have in your games. it talks about the things that most manuals are just too embarrassed to talk about, and does so in a very serious manner.

And then you get to the crunch, and there is a lot of stuff that is just comical in its kinkiness.

That said, there are actual things in it worth using. The Appearance stat as separate from Charisma is a nice option, and there are some good concepts addressing things that could actually come up, not the least of which is pregnancy.

As for things that shall not be named: Weapon vs armor types/Weapon initiative modifiers from 1st edition. Just. Wow. Just in case you were having fun, BRING OUT THE CHARTS AGAIN!

Then again, to this day I am STILL not certain how initiative and combat order works in first edition.
    2e had weapon vs armor (affected THAC0, IIRC, but I didn't use it much so I might be off) and weapon speed modifiers, which were added to your d10 initiative roll (lowest went first in 2e initiative). Essentially straightforward.

But 1e threw "segments" in there and did some other weird stuff with bizarre surprise rules and I have no idea how it worked; I never could figure it out either. Whenever the groups I played with ran 1e modules, we used 2e combat rules.
    Last edited by JAL_1138; 2016-11-01 at 01:43 PM.
    Show

Gnomish proverb

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

Tom Baxa's Dark Sun art. In fact, most of Tom Baxa's Art. I actually liked most of the 2nd Edition art (although it's not quite as fun as the 1st Edition stuff).

The cover art of the Thri-Kreen of Athas. These are supposed to look like giant preying mantises, not... ant men. At least Tom Baxa could draw a decent Thri-Kreen.
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

28. - Top - End - #28

The charts in Anima: Beyond Fantasy

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JAL_1138 View Post
    But 1e threw "segments" in there and did some other weird stuff with bizarre surprise rules and I have no idea how it worked; I never could figure it out either. Whenever the groups I played with ran 1e modules, we used 2e combat rules.
    1e AD&D was actually easy all you had to do was.... throw up your hands in confusion, and use the rules from the Basic set instead.
    See easy!

Extended Sig
    D&D Alignment history
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    Does the game you play feature a Dragon sitting on a pile of treasure, in a Dungeon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    You're an NPC stat block."I remember when your race was your class you damned whippersnappers"
    Snazzy Avatar by Honest Tiefling!

30. - Top - End - #30

1e AD&D was actually easy all you had to do was.... throw up your hands in confusion, and use the rules from the Basic set instead.
    See easy!

Step 3: PROFIT!