Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: House of Glass (Dark Heresy IC)

Mouse

Spoiler
    Show
    "He should be back soon." The woman took the gunbelt and put it on a side table, out of easy reach. She stood next to it, facing Mouse, and waited. The silence, if Mouse didn't break it, stretched on.

Soon, the door mechanism clicked and Inquisitor Arcturos entered. He looked much like he had when they had left him on Landunder. "Ah," he said, when he saw the adept waiting for him. "Took the message to heart, then, after all. Or at least, I assume that's why you're here? It's not like Valle to send somebody to gloat."

Joss and Annie

Spoiler
    Show
    "Some time, some time. Why?"

If Annie was any judge, the voice's owner knew perfectly well why they were asking, but wanted to hear them say it.
    I do LP's sometimes! I'm currently on hiatus for college purposes.

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:
    The Great Divide Dark Heresy - Finished
    They All Uprose Dark Heresy - Finished
    Dead in the Water Dark Heresy - Finished
    House of Glass Dark Heresy - Deceased

We All Fall Down Dark Heresy - Ongoing

Sea of Stars Rogue Trader - Ongoing

2. - Top - End - #122
    Titan in the Playground

Annie shrugged, suspecting that Valdemar could see them as well as hear them. "As you know, 'e's under investigation. We figgered as an' old friend of 'is, you'd be the one who knew most about 'im. Whether 'e could 'ave done, or would 'ave done, what they said 'e's done."

3. - Top - End - #123
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: Joss and Annie
    Show
    Joss shifted his gaze to the pict recorder in the corner of the room and nodded in agreement with Annie.
    ~Amor Vincit Omnia~
    I have a Youtube Channel
    I write and draw occasionally: Have a look.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Titan in the Playground

Joss and Annie

Spoiler
    Show
    "I'm sure there are others who know him better than me." The voice said. "Still, I'm the one you came to. But you'll have to be a little more specific. He could have done many things, just like you could have done many things. With any number of justifications for them, no doubt. Suppose I think you're chasing shadows, well, people chase shadows all the time, don't they?"

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

5. - Top - End - #125
    Titan in the Playground

Annie and Joss
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Well yeah, 'f course 'e has closer friends." Annie said idly. "Thats why yer gettin' us. Monkeys' steadve the organ grinders. But yer name came up in the paperwork so, 'ere we are."

"You ain't been told what e's done? Illegally researchin' xenos. Seditin' and treasin' an' heresy. If you want ter be like "well we all do that" then maybe don't do that at 'is trial, aye?"

6. - Top - End - #126
    Ogre in the Playground

Mouse

Spoiler
    Show

"Hello, Inquisitor. In part, yes. That is why I am here."
    Mouse says, finally breaking her silence as she'd have just let it drag on instead. "Though while my Mistress hasn't sent someone to gloat, she does understand that I am here and why." She explains. "I do not believe she cares for the thought of possibly being in error on these claims, but she has agreed to allow my assistance to be extended in attempting to prove them false. The question is, of course, whether you wish my help and to explain everything to me, or not. If the latter, well, then I shall not attempt to waste anyone's time more than I have."

7. - Top - End - #127
    Titan in the Playground

Joss and Annie

Spoiler
    Show
    "Paperwork, paperwork.." the voice muttered. "Yes, well. Did I say we all do that? Hm? No, no I don't believe I did. But we've yet to see what your Lady Valle classifies as all of those things, and how that's to be interpreted. That's the sticking point. So, how about you let me in on what you're saying he's done, and then I can pass some judgement."

Mouse

Spoiler
    Show
    "How interesting," Arcturos said, hanging up his coat and moving to his small kitchen. "Can I offer you something to drink?" He asked, taking down a bottle and a glass for himself and pouring. "This is something of a curious position we find ourselves in. But for your actions, I imagine none of us would be here, and yet, here you are offering to plead my case. Aren't you also part of the opposing side's case? Though, unless I miss my guess..." he shrugged. "Never mind, that. Let's assume I accept for now. What did you have in mind?"

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

8. - Top - End - #128
    Ogre in the Playground

Mouse

Spoiler
    Show

"Warm water would be fine, thank you."
    Mouse says, still not caring for anything alcoholic or more stimulating than ReCaff. She chooses to let his unfinished comment go, but she purses her lips in thought. "I suppose we should start with the beginning of things. The reason I am willing to give you a chance is because I find that perhaps some of this feels too convenient for my liking, nor do I consider you a man who would be caught so off guard by this." She explains before looking up at him from her seat. "So I shall be frank even though I do not expect to get much of a response. What is your plan, my lord?" She asks respectfully. "Surely you have one, innocent or otherwise. I do not expect that you'd return here without either an escape plan in mind or proof that you are indeed innocent of the crimes being presented. To save time, I won't ask for details on the former as you would never say, but I do wonder about the latter. What is your proof? If it is verifiable and solid enough, then perhaps we can put this entire ordeal behind us far faster than we would dare hope."

9. - Top - End - #129
    Titan in the Playground

Joss and Annie
    Spoiler
    Show
    Annie hesitated, not least because she had only skim-read the briefing. "Funnelin' 'is money ter unsavery causes, shall we say. Xeno-research an' heretechical stuff. Surprised yer didn't know, really."

She threw that last sentence out casually. Go on, take the bait...

10. - Top - End - #130
    Titan in the Playground

Joss and Annie

Spoiler
    Show
    "I saw the same missive you did, I'm sure. I'm aware of the basic outline. Details is what I'm after, Miss Lee. There's a thousand kinds of heresy out there."

Mouse

Spoiler
    Show
    "Water, then." The Inquisitor gave Mouse a glass of water and took a seat, folding an arm across his chest. "There's a saying in the Inquisition; 'Innocence proves nothing.' Did Inquisitor Valle explain the purpose of the conclave? I'll do my best to fill in the gaps, if that would help. This isn't like anything the Arbites would dream up. It's maybe a little like what the Mechanicus goes through, but I can't say I'm privy to the details of what a Magos typically talks about, so I don't know that for sure. The conclave is politics, simply. One Inquisitor thinks another has passed beyond the pale, and wants to jockey for position, or favour, or what have you. It's true enough that launching one requires a good deal of evidence gathering, but the result isn't just about fact."

He paused, swirling his glass and taking a sip. "Think about how many things you've seen in your work that would justify execution for an average Imperial citizen. I'm sure there's a few. One at least that I was there for."

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

11. - Top - End - #131
    Titan in the Playground

Joss and Annie
    Spoiler
    Show
    Annie resisted the urge to curse, as her carefully dangled hook was ignored. "Oh? Well, does it seem like 'quister Arcturos is capable of what it says in the missive, then?"

12. - Top - End - #132
    Ogre in the Playground

Mouse

Spoiler
    Show

"I am familiar with the proverb."
    Mouse says, taking a sip of her water. "And even if this is more political than criminal, something has still occurred that is far more serious than simply jockeying for favor for an occasion like this to be summoned." She points out. "And perhaps the nature of this is political, but if it is, I do not believe my Mistress would be the one to turn it into such. You may know her greater than I, but I have not come to view her as a political animal or someone who seeks favor. I'm fairly certain she couldn't care less about how others really view her at all, despite her expensive body, provided they remain effective and don't get in her way." She adds as she sets her water aside for a moment.

"But as I said, something has indeed happened and regardless of the reasons why this event was called, you are here to defend yourself. Before, you seemed to allude to my Mistress and you being compatriots, perhaps even friends, before. What happened to drive you two apart? If there is bad blood tainting this investigation, then it would be best to clear the waters before they get even bloodier."

13. - Top - End - #133
    Titan in the Playground

Joss and Annie

Spoiler
    Show
    "Capable? Capable of what? Heresy? As I said, that's rather general. You're probably capable of heresy, if it were the right kind. Again, I'd be able to provide a better answer if you were a little more specific."

Mouse

Spoiler
    Show
    "No, you're right on that. The Lady Valle is often very straightforward in her beliefs. It's something I rather respect her for, and is decidedly less than common in the Inquisition. Nevertheless, she stands to lose a great deal of clout should the case swing my way rather than hers. Not just from the Inquisition, either." The Inquisitor paused to look at Mouse for a moment. He seemed to be searching for something in her expression.

"You noted her rather expensive augmetics. She's in quite deep with the Mechanicus, and a number of the things she's accusing me of involve xenos technology. That could be at the heart of this. Valle has always been rather hardline, but after the incident, and her rebuilding, she got even more set in her beliefs. She's not the same person as she used to be. Now, we never moved in exactly the same circles, but I believed that there was healthy respect between us. If she feels I've betrayed the Inquisition's ideals, or those of the Mechanicus, I'd not be surprised she's so vehement."

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

14. - Top - End - #134
    Ogre in the Playground

Show
    "Let's start at the begining." Joss suggests. "He is accused of financing Xenos research conducted by a rogue Magos of the Mechanicus. I believe he has the means to do this, but does he have motive?"
    ~Amor Vincit Omnia~
    I have a Youtube Channel

15. - Top - End - #135
    Firbolg in the Playground

Spoiler: Did we ...
    Show

Split the party too hard? It seems everyone went off on their own and never got back =)

16. - Top - End - #136
    Ogre in the Playground

Mouse

Spoiler
    Show

"I would not think it would be a simple matter of slighting the Mechanicus to draw her ire. We both know that there are many Mechanicus who would wish someone executed for not issuing the right rites before a person can relieve themselves. She feels more reasonable than that." Mouse points out, not above taking shots at those she readily affiliates herself with. "As you've just admitted, she would not do this without considering the consequences one way or the other. The question is, however, what did you do that was perceived to be so great a threat or heresy as to draw even her into a Conclave?" Mouse asks, looking over at the Inquisitor in genuine curiosity. "You have seen the charges lain against you and yours, including the one about Xenos technology. You will be forced to explain your actions regardless, but you may as well start with someone who is not likely to fly into a rage or draw a gun in anger." Mouse points out.

"After all, I am unarmed and here to listen to whatever you have to say. Though I do feel that I should mention that I do not believe my opinion matters at all in this case. I am simply here for the facts of the issues at hand and if those facts sway people one way or another, then so be it. As disrespectful as it is to simply demand however, I feel like I must."
    She pauses for a moment, taking a sip of the warm water once again before looking over at the Inquisitor once more.

"Are you guilty of the charges laid out?"

17. - Top - End - #137
    Titan in the Playground

Joss and Annie

Spoiler
    Show
    "Well, Xenos research, rogue magos... Means, yes. Certainly. Inquisitors have means beyond most. Motive depends on what was being researched, and why. What was the Magos doing?"

Mouse

Spoiler
    Show
    "Nothing so simple as a slight, no, but pedantry is at the core of it. The Credo Omnissiah forbids a great many things. Amongst those things is, as noted, the use, study, etc etc of Xenos technology. This doesn't stop many of the Mechanicus from engaging in it, of course, but when they do get discovered they're usually censured at best. I simply feel this is a foolhardy stance, and that there is nothing inherently wrong with many Xenos inventions. You've seen my sword." The blade was still at his side, its hilt still wrapped in cloth to hide its nature. Arcturos sighed.

"I believe I shall answer your question with one of my own. When the law is unjust, what does that say about the allegedly guilty?"

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

18. - Top - End - #138
    Ogre in the Playground

Mouse

Spoiler
    Show

"I cannot claim to be an Arbitrator, but the law is the law. Just or unjust or otherwise."
    Mouse points out before looking up at the Inquisitor from her seat. "But as I learned rather quickly, those of us who work for the Inquisition have a certain amount of discretion when it comes to following the norms of society and the judicial system. Provided, of course, that we can justify ourselves." She adds, giving the sword a particularly meaningful glance.

19. - Top - End - #139
    Titan in the Playground

Annie looked to Joss for confirmation: the feral worlder bore the scars of that encounter, which she hadn't been at.

20. - Top - End - #140
    Ogre in the Playground

Show
    Joss actually hadn't been there for that particular adventure either, and the feudal worlder wracks his brain to recall what the others had told him about the encounter.

"He had been creating genetically altered monstrosities. His experiments were funded by Inquisitor Remus Arcturos."
    ~Amor Vincit Omnia~
    I have a Youtube Channel

21. - Top - End - #141
    Titan in the Playground

Mouse

Spoiler
    Show
    "Well, there it is. Justifying it. I believe I can do that, if nothing else. I assure you that the entire time my motive has been the betterment and protection of humanity, as is my duty."

Joss and Annie

Spoiler
    Show
    "Allegedly." The voice carried a hint of amusement. It wasn't immediately obvious why. "Genetically engineered monstrocities certainly sound like heresy. I don't suppose you know what they were for? I'll have to go dig up whatever got saved from that mission in the archives. I'm sure I can find it, since Valle was helpful enough to attach file numbers to the missive." There was a pause, followed by some humming and the sound of a quill scratching. After a moment or two, the voice came back.

"I notice you're still there. Do you know what they were for? It'd save me a trip."

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

22. - Top - End - #142
    Titan in the Playground

Joss and Annie
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Archives?" Annie mouthed at Joss.

23. - Top - End - #143
    Ogre in the Playground

Show
    Joss shakes his head and shrugs. Probably some secret Inquisitorial archive. "I... don't." He admits to the Inquisitor. "We... could go there for you, if you'd like?" The assassin offers.
    ~Amor Vincit Omnia~
    I have a Youtube Channel

24. - Top - End - #144
    Ogre in the Playground

Mouse

Spoiler
    Show

"I see." Mouse states, finishing her last sip of water before setting the glass on the table. "I thank you for the water, Inquisitor, but I think that perhaps it is best that I go. I may not have gotten the answers I wished for, but I have learned quite a lot for the time being. It has been a most informative meeting, but should either yourself or your acolytes wish to speak with me, I am certain you'll find a way to get a message to me." She says, standing up and giving a small bow to Remus. "Unless there is something else you wish to tell me, I shall take my leave."

25. - Top - End - #145
    Titan in the Playground

Joss and Annie

Spoiler
    Show
    "No, that's fine." The speaker fell silent, and it seemed like the interview was over, for now.

Mouse

Spoiler
    Show
    "Nothing for the moment." Mouse left without incident, though she did catch the bodyguard watching her as the door to the apartment shut behind her.

Everyone

The day was drawing to a close by the time the group met back up, at least according to the chronometers mounted around the place. The palace didn't have much in the way of windows, so day was rather a nebulous thing, here.

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

26. - Top - End - #146
    Titan in the Playground

Annie seemed bad-tempered even by her own standards. "E' din't have nuffink useful ter say, and 'e weren't even listnin' enough fer us ter make 'im turn on 'is buddy. 'E did mention, like, archives, though. Do we know about them?"

27. - Top - End - #147
    Ogre in the Playground

Joss shook his head. "No, but the inquisitor might. We shall have to ask Lady Valle on the morrow. It's getting late now." The feudal worlder sighed, missing the sunsets from Acreage. There were times when the forest was so thick, you couldn't see the sun through the trees, but you could still feel it, in the way the air cooled, and how the animals reacted. There were no such cues here in the hive world.

"We should see what the others have discovered." He suggests, turning back towards their quarters.
    ~Amor Vincit Omnia~
    I have a Youtube Channel

28. - Top - End - #148
    Ogre in the Playground

Mouse

When Mouse arrives back at her quarters, the others might find her looking thoughtful as she wanders back and forth the rooms in thought. "Do be careful. We might be under observation still." She remarks whenever the others have all gathered. "I destroyed one microphone, but it would be best if we are careful regardless." She adds before heading to her room to pull out the privacy field she had requisitioned for such times as this. She'll take however long she needs to in order to turn it on and activate it. Only when it activates will she seem to relax in the slightest.

29. - Top - End - #149
    Firbolg in the Playground

Arriving trailing long sheets of fax and piles of data slates, Phaela looks about as if shocked: Observation? You really think so? She smiles at the others, hoping this will discreetely convey the fact that she isn't actually that naive.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

It's been so long that I only now noticed that Phaella was lost in the mythweaver crash. I shall have to remake her =(
    Last edited by Kaptin Keen; 2017-04-14 at 03:29 AM.

30. - Top - End - #150
    Titan in the Playground

Annie glowered suspiciously into the corners of the room, as if expecting to spot with squinted eyes what Mouse had not managed with technology. "pparently there's information bout the past missions 'gainst Arcturos in the archives. Reckon someone should go dig'em up."