New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: House of Glass (Dark Heresy IC)

"Our contingency plan is, if 'e tries anythin', we shoot'im." Annie said cheerfully. "Or, like, I shoot'im, Joss stabs'im, an' Phaella bores'im to death."

"You think it's likely 'e'll kick off?" she asked. "Like, is that what usually 'appens?"

2. - Top - End - #182
    Ogre in the Playground

Joss smiled a bit at the compliment, but after some thoughtful chewing, he frowns. "I can handle myself in a fight, but if we don't have the advantage over the Inquisitor and his cadre, I don't think I will last long." The assassin had seen Arcturos go toe-to-toe with a daemon, and while he had stood by his side in that fight, he did not relish the idea of fighting the man.
    ~Amor Vincit Omnia~
    I have a Youtube Channel
    I write and draw occasionally: Have a look.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Banned

Not being counted among the combat capable is a tiny, secret triumph for Phaella. While doing her best to look as if she's trying not to show annoyance at this dismissal of her abilities - in reality she's suppressing a smile at being underestimated.

4. - Top - End - #184
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Destro_Yersul View Post
    Mouse

Spoiler
    Show
    "That could be." Valle's expressionless mask was impossible to read. "Many Inquisitors do not like the Mechanicus' secrecy. I will notify Carthus to include this in his searches. I must be prepared with counterarguments. What do you plan to do now?"
    Mouse

Spoiler
    Show

"I was actually hoping to try and find out more about that blade of his, if I would have your permission to do so."
    Mouse requests, bowing her head slightly to acknowledge that what she asks is perhaps severe. "He seems to hold it...almost dearly I would venture. Perhaps it might simply be his affection for a weapon, but given its xenos make it would be best if perhaps we learn if there was a deeper meaning behind it. If it has a religious or ceremonial connotation to it, then that would bring further light that perhaps he may have been swayed away from the Imperium's proper path. If nothing else comes of this trial, perhaps we could get it wrested away from his possession and either destroyed or locked away." She explains.

"While I cannot doubt its effectiveness against the warp entity my fellow acolytes and he fought in Landunder, I feel that allowing it to stay within his possession will tarnish his soul. I do not claim to be the most zealous or pious individual that follows the Omnissiah, but even I fear that items of xenos manufacture most likely bear a cost that cannot be calculated in thrones. I understand that Inquisitors are allowed a large degree of freedom when it comes to their duties, but even as he claims that the Mechanicus might hold influence over you, such a blade or its makers could very well have such an influence over him if we are not careful."

5. - Top - End - #185
    Titan in the Playground

Joss and Co.

"You hear Carthus? Everyone tries something, or almost everyone. It doesn't usually work, but the key word there is usually." Stanford gestured with his fork, indicating the group. "Look, I don't know Arcturos personally, but I've heard of him, here and there. This is a man who plans for bloody everything. I picked up two things in the guard; first, plan more than the enemy. Second, your plans are all going to hell, so make contingencies for when they do."

The inquisitor put his utensils down, his food gone. "You've seen him fight, so your estimate is better than mine on that. I agree that we should look for every advantage we can find. Do you know anything about the capability of his subordinates?"

Mouse

Spoiler
    Show
    "His sword, yes. I saw your report. Xenos equipment is, I admit, not my primary field of study. The Mechanicus teaches that all such items are heresy, which is likely why he hides it." Valle considered for a moment. "Permission granted. I will provide restricted access to archival data. Removal of the sword might prove difficult, but getting it away would severely limit his response options when he loses."
    I used to do LP's. Currently archived here:

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:
    The Great Divide Dark Heresy - Finished
    They All Uprose Dark Heresy - Finished
    Dead in the Water Dark Heresy - Finished
    House of Glass Dark Heresy - Deceased

We All Fall Down Dark Heresy - Finished

Sea of Stars Rogue Trader - Ongoing

6. - Top - End - #186
    Ogre in the Playground

Joss thinks back to Landunder and those who he's met. "There's a woman who barely leaves his side, she dresses in black armor. A bodyguard, I presume. There's another man, small unassuming, probably a hiver. Very dangerous, in my estimation. I think he has a psyker working for him as well. I don't believe we met him, though." The assassin frowns. "Lady Phaella, did you do any research into his cadre, yesterday?"
    ~Amor Vincit Omnia~
    I have a Youtube Channel

7. - Top - End - #187
    Banned

Phaella digs out a dataslate, reads for a moment, then says:

They are, respectively, Magda, ex-arbites, Bronn, ex-guardsman, Amos, presumably an adept, and Morbent, on whom I could dig up nothing. I have service records for the first two, academic papers for Amos, and Morbent is basically a clean slate. No data on him other than the name.

It's all detailed on the data slates I gave you yesterday.

Magda was ... notoriously dirty. Dishonorably discharged, and by my estimate dodging actual prosecution and possible execution by the breadth of a hair.

8. - Top - End - #188
    Titan in the Playground

For the first time in Phaella's presence, Annie looked genuinely impressed. "Bloody 'ell, where'd you dig that up?"

9. - Top - End - #189
    Banned

Phaella gives the tiniest of smiles. Everywhere, she says, then counts off on her fingers, on-site data,
    off-site data, social engineering, extortion, coercion, persuasion, negotiation, haggling.

I'm not happy with it. This is by far the hardest security I've had to try to circumvent, and I've gotten less that I expected. In a way I suppose that's comforting.

10. - Top - End - #190
    Titan in the Playground

"Hmm." Stanford listened to the list of acolytes Arcturos had without expression. "None of those sound like psyker, except maybe Morbent. I've got higher access than you do, maybe I'll do some digging of my own. Could also lean on a few old guard friends, get something else on Bronn. There's a lot that doesn't go into service records, things you'd only learn from comrades. They'll talk to me. It is good to hear that the Tricorn's security holds up in the face of..." a glance at Phaella "...rather determined inquiry. I'll forward you what I find, if it's not too heavily classified."

Carthus returned shortly after Stanford finished talking, dropping back into his seat with a satisfied smile. "Made a couple calls," he told them. "The Magos file's been reserved for you, and I've temporarily increased the access on your tokens to viridian. You'll find a few more doors are open, now."

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

11. - Top - End - #191
    Ogre in the Playground

"Morbent would be the dangerous little man. Likely an assassin like myself," Joss surmises.

When Carthus returns, the feudal-worlder is surprised by the upgrade to their security clearances. "Thank you, Inquisitor."
    ~Amor Vincit Omnia~
    I have a Youtube Channel

12. - Top - End - #192
    Ogre in the Playground

Mouse

Spoiler
    Show

"Then by your leave, I shall head immediately to the archives and begin research. I do gather the sense that somehow he will squirm out of this conclave, but I will try my hardest to make sure he does so with less than he had before." She swears. If given permission to leave, she'll head to the archives just as she said she would. Even though she heads right to it, she takes a leisurely pace in doing so in order to give her Mistress time to update her security clearance.

When she gets to the archives, she takes her time researching. The saboteur goes through both tomes and electronic databases, starting with a basic search for blue crystal swords of xenos manufacture and following up by refining it with details like the purple oval gems and sigils.

13. - Top - End - #193
    Titan in the Playground

Joss and Co.

"You're probably right," Stanford said, in response to Joss' assessment. "Well. Now that you've got somewhere to be, suppose it's off to the races, eh?"

Spoiler: OOC:
    Show
    Feel free to ask more questions/whatever of the Inquisitors here. Otherwise...

Everyone

Leaving the commissary behind, Joss' party headed for the archives. As they got close, they spotted a familiar figure by the door. Mouse, it seemed, had the same idea as them. Both Mouse and the acolytes reached the door at about the same time, entering together. The archivist was hovering around the front desk, clearly waiting for someone.

"You're Valle's party?" He asked. "Inquisitor Carthus voxxed ahead. I've had the materials you requested fetched up, they should be here momentarily. Viewing room Gamma, if you would. Is there anything else I can do for you?"

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

14. - Top - End - #194
    Ogre in the Playground

"I don't believe so." Joss rasped. But this was the work for the more wordy members of the team, like Mouse and Lady Phaella, not for 'dumb muscle' like him.

"Perhaps I should try to track down some of Arcturos' acolytes. I feel useless here." He suggests to the others.
    ~Amor Vincit Omnia~
    I have a Youtube Channel

15. - Top - End - #195
    Titan in the Playground

"Need a 'and?" Annie asked. "Not my place either, an' Mousey 'ere don't need bodyguardin'"

16. - Top - End - #196
    Banned

It might be prudent to stick together at least long enough to figure out a clear next objective. I found, among other things, a number of references to artifact hunters that ... well, to be honest I don't quite know where that might lead, but potentially to whatever it is Arcturos holds. Might be nice to know.

17. - Top - End - #197
    Titan in the Playground

"'Unting down 'is pals sounds more fun but whatev'r."

18. - Top - End - #198
    Banned

Well in principle I entirely agree, but once you find them, what are you going to do with them? Small talk about the weather?

19. - Top - End - #199
    Titan in the Playground

In response, Annie gave Phaella a hard look and gestured at her panoply of pistols.

20. - Top - End - #200
    Banned

Well yes - obviously. But in this setting, a pre-emptive first strike might not be the most desirable of ideas. I believe it will work better if we have a reason for confrontation, first.

21. - Top - End - #201
    Titan in the Playground

Annie gestured at the archives. "Get on with it, then."

22. - Top - End - #202
    Banned

Alright - let's go.

Phaella leads the crew into viewing room Gamma, there to review the new materials made available.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Lemme know if any rolls are required.

23. - Top - End - #203
    Ogre in the Playground

Mouse frowns when she sees the others arrive at the same time and her mouth twitches slightly when she's informed they were all given the same room. Her hand reaches out, snagging Joss' clothing however when he tries to leave. "Pardon me." She asks the one who assigned them rooms and such. "I am not certain the others have been cleared for what I have been asked to look into. Is there a way I can have another chamber? I also require this man to be with me. He was witness to what I am looking into."

24. - Top - End - #204
    Ogre in the Playground

Joss was a little surprised to be pulled aside by Mouse, but didn't object. He wonders what she was investigating that he had been witness to.
    ~Amor Vincit Omnia~
    I have a Youtube Channel

25. - Top - End - #205
    Titan in the Playground

Joss and Mouse

Spoiler
    Show
    Mouse recieved clearance from the archivist for a second viewing room, and immediately set to work, with Joss watching. The room was small, with a single plain metal table in the center. Another door stood opposite the one they had come in, leading deeper into the archives. Beside it was a terminal, activation rune glowing softly, that allowed the occupants to request material from the archive to be delivered by filing servitors. Set into the wall on one side were a pair of matte black cogitator consoles, their casing marked with the sigil of the Inquisition.

While one of the cogitators booted up, Mouse selected a few likely looking volumes from the terminal. They were delivered shortly, the door sliding open to admit a servitor with a stack of books and files held in delicate brass manipulator arms. It deposited them on the table and left. The work was slow going, but with Joss' help - the warrior recognised some of the symbols from the sword - Mouse was able to narrow things down. For one thing, the symbols and runes appeared to be Eldar in origin. Similarly, the purple gemstones were likely spirit stones - the tome containing this information was sealed with many chains, though Mouse's upgraded access token proved sufficient to unlock the tiny maglock holding them shut. Gradually, based on fragmented reports and a handful of sketches, the picture came together; Arcturos' weapon was very likely a power sword of Eldar manufacture. Given the nature of the Eldar, it was possibly psychically reactive in nature, though the Inquisitor himself hadn't demonstrated any psychic abilities that they had seen. One of the digital entires, created by Inquisitor Al-Subaii, noted that the Eldar seemed particularly attached to such weapons, and often went to great lengths to recover them.

Annie and Phaella

Spoiler
    Show
    Viewing Room Gamma looked like it had been built to standardised specifications. There was a terminal for ordering materials, another door to access the archive proper, and a pair of cogitators for electronic research. In the center of the room was a plain steel table, on which had been placed one rather thick file folder. It was stamped with numerous seals denoting the contents as Proscribed Knowledge, for academic purposes only. The first two pages consisted of nearly identical form statements from the Calixian Inquisition and Mechanicus, detailling all of the very unfortunate things that would happen to anyone who tried putting it from theory to practice.

The remainder of the folder was filled with notes, anatomical drawings, equipment lists and research data. It expounded, in great detail, the process of creating something the author had named Eradicae: genetically-engineered killing machines, created from numerous biological samples taken from Deathworlds located within the Calixis Sector. Though largely fragmentary in nature, the notes suggested that the Magos responsible for creating the things, Moreus, had intended them as frontline war-beasts.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    You can roll a few different things. Logic would help you figure out the leaps made in deciding that this was a good idea. Trade (Copyist) would allow for some basic handwriting analysis. Literacy would help decipher any sections written in a particularly illegible manner. I'm open to other suggestions as well.

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

26. - Top - End - #206
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: Joss and Mouse
    Show
    "So... the Eldar are likely searching for this weapon?" Joss frowned behind his scarf. "Should a human be able to wield an Eldar blade? Might it reject them?"
    Last edited by Artemis97; 2017-06-28 at 11:28 PM.
    ~Amor Vincit Omnia~
    I have a Youtube Channel

27. - Top - End - #207
    Titan in the Playground

Annie and Phaella
    Spoiler
    Show
    Annie was not of significant help to Phaella, and before long both women were dearly wishing she had accompanied Joss and Mouse.

"So if we can prove he actually made these things, he's in the cacky?" Annie asked. "Or if we can prove 'e actually planned ter use them? Dint Mousey get messed up by summat like this?"

She tapped the paper. "This Moreus bloke is the Magos they dealt with, right? Not some other bugger we can track down?"

28. - Top - End - #208
    Ogre in the Playground

Show

Mouse leans back in her hair after she looks through the general information she and Joss had been able to pick up. "I would not be sure if you had not seen him wield the blade against the warp entity. What concerns me isn't that the Eldar are looking for it, or even the blade itself." She explains before leaning back forward to put her fingertip on a drawing of a soulstone. "It is these. If they are what the name itself implies, then he might have...what? A number of their souls in his literal grasp? Who knows what sort of effects those might inflict upon him." She reasons before sighing and picking up the tomes to look through them again for more in-depth information on the soulstones themselves. "Search for any other drawings like those stones, would you Joss?" Mouse asks as she gets back on task.

29. - Top - End - #209
    Titan in the Playground

Joss and Mouse

Spoiler
    Show
    More information on the spirit stones was little, and far between. They seemed to be some sort of Eldar soul receptacle, made by the Eldar themselves, but Mouse couldn't find anything that explained why. She found plenty of documentation regarding experiments the Imperium had performed on captured ones, some of which had come from other sectors. Strangely, Eldar sightings in Calixis seemed to be far lower than even in the neighboring Koronus Expanse. The gems themselves were, reportedly, inert even when occupied. Not even trained Psykers had been able to find a way to reach the souls within. That the souls existed had been hotly debated for some time, according to some conversation transcripts Mouse dug up. It was now generally accepted that they did, though again, nothing Mouse could access explained why.

In the end, Mouse was left with a lot of unanswered questions, and the vaguely unsettling feeling that there might be some things no human had answers for.

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

30. - Top - End - #210
    Ogre in the Playground

Show
    "You think he may be being manipulated by the stones?" Joss asks as he searches. "Is that possible? Would a Psyker be able to detect its influence? Perhaps we can order some sort of test to be done?" The assassin frowns. Inquisitor Arcturos had always seemed in control, but perhaps it was all a facade.
    ~Amor Vincit Omnia~
    I have a Youtube Channel