New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default What should an extra-scary spear look like?

So I officially have an extra-scary looking longspear for my character. I'm debating what a scary spear should look like. I want an obsidian blade, but I'm not sure what else to do. Any ideas? Has to be reasonably practical, in the sense of being able to actually stab someone without spikes or something getting in the way.
    Hail to the Lord of Death and Destruction!
    CATNIP FOR THE CAT GOD! YARN FOR THE YARN THRONE! MILK FOR THE MILK BOWL!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: What should an extra-scary spear look like?

The biggest things would be to have it show signs of obvious heavy use and obvious maintenance, thus conveying that whoever has been using it has been doing so for a while and successfully.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Knaight View Post
    The biggest things would be to have it show signs of obvious heavy use and obvious maintenance, thus conveying that whoever has been using it has been doing so for a while and successfully.
    Despite, I suppose, the fact that I probably couldn't hit the broadside of a magic castle with it?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

I would recommend a harpoon-style barb or two sticking out from the back of the spear head. Just to make it certain it'll REALLY hurt coming back out. Also, maybe coat the 2-3 feet of shaft behind the head in steel?
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Big blade with runes shining when blade is freshly bloodied and blade color is obiously black

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

Serrated blade.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Living eye in cross guard

8. - Top - End - #8
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Going with the obsidian blade theme, how about obsidian shards down the next couple feet of shaft?

Also, consider wrapping the shaft in something that cries "bad-ass"... reptillian hide, even if it's not actually a dragon, is pretty cool. Or Wyvern hide, with a wyvern barb as the blade.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    Going with the obsidian blade theme, how about obsidian shards down the next couple feet of shaft?

Also, consider wrapping the shaft in something that cries "bad-ass"... reptillian hide, even if it's not actually a dragon, is pretty cool. Or Wyvern hide, with a wyvern barb as the blade.
    Hmm...I kinda want to go with a nature-y feel. Alligator hide would be cool though. Or eelskin.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

If it's supposed to be practical then don't use obsidian. Obsidian is glass, it's brittle and will shatter if you hit a hard surface like metal armor. Use steel and paint it black.

You could have skulls on the lower parts of the fasting and evil looking runes painted along the shaft.
    The spear could have a skull shaped pommel.
    Black text is for sarcasm, also sincerity. You'll just have to read between the lines and infer from context like an animal

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Maybe give the spear some sort of mystical aura? Not something that actually does anything, just have some magical energy dancing around the shaft or something.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground
    Protecting my Horde (yes, I mean that kind)

You can always go with the Japanese version, and just give the a great big spear head covered in written prayers.

Tonbokiri wielded by Honda Tadakatsu

And this thing: https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E5%BE...89%8B%E6%9D%B5

13. - Top - End - #13

The 'moving eyeball on the haft of a blood-red blade' is, of course, always a classic, but can end up a bit silly looking.

If you want to go the understated route, a fun one might be a spear that looks utterly, forgettably generic... except for the still-beating heart of, say, an Archdevil or some variety of Celestial (depending on alignment) jammed just below the blade, and the attendant sheen of ichor a short distance down the shaft.

Or just one that was black. Not painted black, or anything, but pretty much a spear-shaped hole in the air.

14. - Top - End - #14

The tonbokiri, and naginatas/yaris in general are glaives not spears. They function as a sword blade on an extended handle. Definitely very good looking weapons.

For more fearsome looking true spears.

Boar spears - extra large leaf shaped heads.
    Partisans/ranseaurs - have protrusions from the base of the spear head to assist parrying.

Although to be honest I really dislike the inflatable weapons that you see in most fantasy art. I think some discrete decoration on a functional weapon that other people will recognize is sufficient.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

RangerGuy

conventional wisdom is that the scariest spear is the one flying directly towards you
    Warning, this poster makes frequent use of jokes, snarks, and puns. He is mostly harmless and intends no offense.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TeChameleon View Post
    Or just one that was black. Not painted black, or anything, but pretty much a spear-shaped hole in the air.
    I like this one.
    Hill Giant Games
    I make indie gaming books for you!
    Spoiler
    Show

STaRS: A non-narrativeist, generic rules-light system.
    Grod's Guide to Greatness, 2e: A big book of player options for 5e.
    Grod's Grimoire of the Grotesque: An even bigger book of variant and expanded rules for 5e.
    Giants and Graveyards: My collected 3.5 class fixes and more.

Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    Grod's Law: You cannot and should not balance bad mechanics by making them annoying to use

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by eru001 View Post
    conventional wisdom is that the scariest spear is the one flying directly towards you
    Well, it's a longspear, so it's not exactly meant to go flying. And it needs to have some oomph beyond just a normal weapon, but without being too over the top. It's not magic, just scary-looking.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by WarKitty View Post
    Well, it's a longspear, so it's not exactly meant to go flying. And it needs to have some oomph beyond just a normal weapon, but without being too over the top. It's not magic, just scary-looking.
    Something like a boar spear, perhaps? Some extra fancy spiky bits to stop people from sliding down the shaft after you stab 'em?
    Hill Giant Games
    I make indie gaming books for you!
    Spoiler
    Show

STaRS: A non-narrativeist, generic rules-light system.
    Grod's Guide to Greatness, 2e: A big book of player options for 5e.
    Grod's Grimoire of the Grotesque: An even bigger book of variant and expanded rules for 5e.
    Giants and Graveyards: My collected 3.5 class fixes and more.

Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    Grod's Law: You cannot and should not balance bad mechanics by making them annoying to use

19. - Top - End - #19
    Barbarian in the Playground

Imp

Maybe it's not te spearhead that looks particularly intimidating, it's just very sharp blade. The shaft, however, is a bit thicker than normal and carved with screaming mouths/intestines/republicans. And maybe it's varnished but looks like it's been haphazardly splashed and stained with some sort of dark ichor? I think people are too focused on the pointy bit.

Does it smell odd?

Doesnt a weapon evoke fear as an intrinsic quality anyways? I mean, they are tools of endin lives. Kindof a scary situation if you're being threatened with one.
    Quote Originally Posted by TuggyNE View Post
    That's a RAW abuse. Fortunately, like many RAW abuses, it has its counter built in by way of more stupid RAW: tripping does not, in fact, cause you to fall.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Deaxsa View Post
    Maybe it's not te spearhead that looks particularly intimidating, it's just very sharp blade. The shaft, however, is a bit thicker than normal and carved with screaming mouths/intestines/republicans. And maybe it's varnished but looks like it's been haphazardly splashed and stained with some sort of dark ichor? I think people are too focused on the pointy bit.

Does it smell odd?

Doesnt a weapon evoke fear as an intrinsic quality anyways? I mean, they are tools of endin lives. Kindof a scary situation if you're being threatened with one.
    Well, in game terms, the weapon provides a +2 bonus to intimidate checks. It's meant primarily for intimidating in combat and providing a bonus over and above what a normal weapon would, albeit a small and non-magical one.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Well, in game terms, the weapon provides a +2 bonus to intimidate checks. It's meant primarily for intimidating in combat and providing a bonus over and above what a normal weapon would, albeit a small and non-magical one.
    Is this a magic bonus or purely from the appearance?
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

The Worldbuilding Forum -- where realities are born.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    Is this a magic bonus or purely from the appearance?
    This is a purely non-magical bonus. It's just a scary-looking spear. For 3.5 players, it's basically a masterwork tool, only instead of buying a new tool I put the cost on and added it to a spear.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

Perhaps a ranseur instead of a standard spear?

Spoiler: ranseur
    Show

Spoiler: Playground Quotes
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Safety Sword View Post
    JAL_1138: Founding Member of the Paranoid Adventurer's Guild.
    Quote Originally Posted by TeChameleon View Post
    - If it's something mortals were not meant to know, I've already found six different ways to blow myself and/or someone else up with it.
    Gnomish proverb

I use blue text for silliness and/or sarcasm. Do not take anything I say in blue text seriously, except for this sentence and the one preceding it.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Perhaps it has some sort of doodad that makes an ominous sound when you move the spear?

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

The scariest spear looks like just any other spear - until you find out it's shaft has grips made of human skin.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thrudd View Post
    The scariest spear looks like just any other spear - until you find out it's shaft has grips made of human skin.
    Ok, new caveat: we're trying not to be evil.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Firbolg in the Playground

The base of the spear portrays the face of the Gorgon, or, even better, Charles Bronson giving dirty looks to your enemies.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Ok, new caveat: we're trying not to be evil.
    Ok, then it's got a tassel, Chinese style, that is made of the rattling teeth and finger bones if your enemies. Just teeth, that's not so evil, right? ;)

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Flumph

It has illustrations of pairs of evil eyes on both sides of the blade. They're those optical illusion eyes that seem to follow the observer, and can be unnerving at times.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

There's only so scary you can make an mundane weapon before you make it so obviously useless as an actual weapon that it's no longer scary.

A sort of "uncanny valley" of weapon design.
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

The Worldbuilding Forum -- where realities are born.