New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Unusual TWF

1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

PirateGuy

Default Unusual TWF

The swashbuckler in my game is going for TWF. She wields a rapier in one hand and a light mace in the other.

Something about this just cracks me up - the idea of a rapier-twirling gentleman (the general character concept) feinting, parrying, doing all these flashy fencing maneuvers, and then BAM! he socks you with a mace.

Any other unusual TWF combinations? Monkey grip cheese, etc. welcome.
    My Red Hand of Doom campaign journal: Part I, Part II
    Love the Third Amendment?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Unusual TWF

Quote Originally Posted by kjones View Post
    the idea of a rapier-twirling gentleman (the general character concept) feinting, parrying, doing all these flashy fencing maneuvers, and then BAM! he socks you with a mace.
    I don't really have anything that's been used in a game of mine, but what I quoted really reminds of the three stooges. "Watch the birdie rapier..." *WHAM!*
    *Evil grin* "Snip snip."
    Kayru, City of Ancients (OOC)

Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Arbitrarity View Post
    The wizard sleeps the fighter, and/or greases him for sneak attack, and/or uses color spray. And/or makes him too weak to use his armour. And does the laundry.

Avatar by Starwoof! Thank you kind sir!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Imp

Something about this just cracks me up - the idea of a rapier-twirling gentleman (the general character concept) feinting, parrying, doing all these flashy fencing maneuvers, and then BAM! he socks you with a mace.
    Tee hee, I can just picture this guy in the typical fencing pose; one hand behind back (secretly holding the mace there), parrying etc. Then, just as he disarms his foe or gets his guard down somehow, the mace comes out to crack him round the head...lol...come to think of it, that should be a Weapon Style Feat (ala Complete Warrior); if you trip or disarm a foe when using the rapier, you get a free attack with the mace for which your foe is treated as flat-footed.
    I apologise if I come across daft. I'm a bit like that. I also like a good argument, so please don't take offence if I'm somewhat...forthright.

Please be aware; when it comes to 5ed D&D, I own Core (1st printing) and SCAG only. All my opinions and rulings are based solely on those, unless otherwise stated. I reserve the right of ignorance of errata or any other source.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

I have a character who Dual Weilds whips, dunno if thats unusual, but it is awsome
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

5. - Top - End - #5
    Halfling in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I had a 2nd ed Ranger duel weld a short spear and a hand ax.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Bloddyredcommie View Post
    I have a character who Dual Weilds whips, dunno if thats unusual, but it is awsome
    That it is... I've drawn up a couple different characters who used that style, but never actually got to play them. How well does he/she work?
    Pokemon friend code : 3067-5701-8746

Trade list can be found on my Giant League wiki page, all pokemon are kept in stock with 5 IVs, most with egg moves, some bred for Hidden Powers. Currently at 55 in stock and counting.

Padherders for my phone and my tablet!

7. - Top - End - #7

The cohort of a high-level character weilded a sword of the planes in one hand and a holy light mace in the other. Combined with Favored Enemy (Outsider (evil)) and 9 or so levels of cleric, she was a pretty effective demon-hunter.

Luckily for me, the DM didn't quite realize this until after she started wailing on the final BBEG of the campaign.
    Last edited by adanedhel9; 2007-07-12 at 08:33 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8

BlueKnightGuy

I had a monk w/ Monkey grip that duel wielded quarterstaves. (yeah, our DM was new to the game, why do you ask?)
    Last edited by PhallicWarrior; 2007-07-12 at 08:34 PM.
    Before you ask, I didn't know what it meant when I put it in my username. Do NOT ask.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

Imp

TWF builds that involve wielding a melee weapon in one hand and a ranged weapon in another is something I've often considered playing (like a rapier in one hand and a hand-crossbow in the other)...not actuall ygot round to it yet though..
    I apologise if I come across daft. I'm a bit like that. I also like a good argument, so please don't take offence if I'm somewhat...forthright.

Please be aware; when it comes to 5ed D&D, I own Core (1st printing) and SCAG only. All my opinions and rulings are based solely on those, unless otherwise stated. I reserve the right of ignorance of errata or any other source.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by JellyPooga View Post
    TWF builds that involve wielding a melee weapon in one hand and a ranged weapon in another is something I've often considered playing (like a rapier in one hand and a hand-crossbow in the other)...not actuall ygot round to it yet though..
    How about a TWF rogue with a rapier in one hand and a wand in the other?
    Click the spoiler to see all the great games I design:
    Spoiler
    Show

Who Beats Who? the hilariously geeky game of hypothetical battles.

Who has two thumbs (up) and a board game coming out from Rio Grande? This guy. Gladiators (Rio Grande)

PIZZA IN SPAAAAACE! Cambridge Games Facotry and Spoiled Flush Games Cosmic Pizza coming soon.

Matrix Solitaire, likely the best Solitaire game you will ever play.
    Spoiled Flush Games

Twitter... where I talk about game design and beer.

11. - Top - End - #11

GreataxeFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Gaurd Juris View Post
    How about a TWF rogue with a rapier in one hand and a wand in the other?
    Or dual wand weilder rogue with a wand of grease and a wand of ray of frost --> ranged sneak attack every round*.

*for enemies without 5 ranks in Balance or immunity to sneak attack

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

My old ranger/barbarian/whatever I think fits him best used to TWF with either longsword/light mace or morningstar/shortsword.

But my real favorite is I once drew up a gnome ranger who used a hook and a hammer, thought that was pretty unsual (I have seriously never even seen a gnome hooked hammer in game, ever, not in a weapon shop or on an NPC or used by any PC ever in my entire gaming life... ever... anywhere).
    Lantanese gnome avatar by the talented Honest Tiefling.

Don't call it a rework - 5e Ranger optional class features

13. - Top - End - #13

My last character OTWF'ed two bastard swords... May not have been the most optimal thing in the world, but heck if it wasn't FUN. Of course, he was a minotaur (see sig), so part of the fun of it was the fact that it was visually rather impressive. I miss playing him...
    Spoiler
    Show

Zöe Althira in When On Olympus
    Ratri Aeval in Double Major
    Mercedes Swift, Scion of Hermes, in ???
    Haiiro Mariko in The Scarlet Shadow
    Kris "Krash" Ashton in Colony
    Karen Mallory in Changing Breeds

Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #14

I like TWFing identical light weapons for the mental image, and so I can finesse'em. Dont know how common that is.
    Da Dominion: blog of belly laffs and a GM (Gamer Media) podcast. Sharp Humor for a Dull World.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

I had a ranger once who dual-wielded light maces. I thought it was pretty hilarious.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

That doesn't generally work out unless they're thrown weapons - while hand crossbows and light crossbows can be fired with one hand, they still take two to load. And they take a feat to load as a free action.

A fun build (and by "fun" I mean "tends to one-round anything susceptible") is the two-weapon fighting Rogue - that uses flasks of Acid, Alchemist's Fire, and UMD's high caster level wands of low-level spells (Druid's Produce Flame & Flame Blade, Sor/Wiz Chill Touch). Low attack bonus due to the two-weapon fighting, but all attacks are touch attacks, and thus don't have a hard target AC. Works both in melee and ranged.

It gets mildly pricy (you're looking at about 10, 15, or 20 gp per attack; less with Flame Blade), but works from level 3 on; you get Two-Weapon Fighting at 1st, Quickdraw at 3rd, Weapon Finess at 6th, Improved Two-Weapon Fighting at 9th, and Greater Two-Weapon Fighting at 15th (12th and 18th level feats open, as well as possible human bonus), but it gets pretty good pretty fast with the sneak attack on top; at 20th, you're looking at six attacks per round (seven, with haste) at about 11d6 touch attacks each - and you can still draw two shortswords if you run out of charges/flasks.
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

MonkGuy

The swashbuckler in my game is going for TWF. She wields a rapier in one hand and a light mace in the other.

Any other unusual TWF combinations? Monkey grip cheese, etc. welcome.
    Dunno, but I read this, and got this mental image :

*Two guys fighting, one of whom is this swashbuckler. Swashbuckler fights with his mace hidden behind his back.*
    Swashbuckler : "I have something to tell you." *Uses a fancy disarm, enemy's weapon goes flying*
    Enemy : "Oh? What's that?"
    Swashbuckler : "I.. am not left handed." *Socks enemy in the face with his mace*
    Last edited by Quietus; 2007-07-12 at 10:15 PM.
    Pokemon friend code : 3067-5701-8746

Trade list can be found on my Giant League wiki page, all pokemon are kept in stock with 5 IVs, most with egg moves, some bred for Hidden Powers. Currently at 55 in stock and counting.

Padherders for my phone and my tablet!

18. - Top - End - #18

Quote Originally Posted by Diggorian View Post
    I like TWFing identical light weapons for the mental image, and so I can finesse'em. Dont know how common that is.
    When I did medieval reenactment fencing, I used to love fighting with two daggers. Then I was a quick little bugger, though. All you've gotta do is get the opponent's blade out of the way and run up really close, and you're practically impossible to parry.

Of course, anybody with any skill moved backwards quickly enough to deny me my glory, but I was 15. *Shrugs* What are ya gonna do?
    *Evil grin* "Snip snip."
    Kayru, City of Ancients (OOC)

Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Arbitrarity View Post
    The wizard sleeps the fighter, and/or greases him for sneak attack, and/or uses color spray. And/or makes him too weak to use his armour. And does the laundry.

Avatar by Starwoof! Thank you kind sir!

19. - Top - End - #19

Quote Originally Posted by psychoticbarber View Post
    Of course, anybody with any skill moved backwards quickly enough to deny me my glory, but I was 15. *Shrugs* What are ya gonna do?
    Throw a dagger at'em and quickdraw another as you close? Had a halfling ranger that did that with Throw Anytthing and Quickdraw.
    Da Dominion: blog of belly laffs and a GM (Gamer Media) podcast. Sharp Humor for a Dull World.

20. - Top - End - #20

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Diggorian View Post
    Throw a dagger at'em and quickdraw another as you close? Had a halfling ranger that did that with Throw Anytthing and Quickdraw.
    This reminds me of a KoDT quote:

"He had me in a Morganstern throatlock, but I countered with a reverse elbow slam to the Adam's apple."
    "Dude, you should have gone with a rabbit punch to the kidneys. +2 to yer next to-hit."
    "What? This wasn't in game, this was real life!"

Anyway, what about somebody who duel-wielded a chainsaw and shotgun? Oh wait...
    My Red Hand of Doom campaign journal: Part I, Part II
    Love the Third Amendment?

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by psychoticbarber View Post
    When I did medieval reenactment fencing, I used to love fighting with two daggers. Then I was a quick little bugger, though. All you've gotta do is get the opponent's blade out of the way and run up really close, and you're practically impossible to parry.

Thats why you wield a longer blade on one hand, like a rapier or a longsword, and a dagger in your off hand. The dagger is quick and easy to parry with while the larger blade makes the attacks.

For a long time I played a rogue who used a whip dagger in one hand, and a hand axe in the other, it's sort of a variant on the ranged weapon/melee weapon thing.
    Last edited by TheOOB; 2007-07-12 at 11:15 PM.
    "Sometimes, we’re heroes. Sometimes, we shoot other people right in the face for money."

-Shadowrun 4e, Runner's Companion

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

I had a character who wielded rapier and kukri, which is a bit odd in origin oanm style.

He was a horizon walker, so I wanted some very different weapons to reflect the eclectic influences.

IRL, I personally like sword and axe, to hook shields if we're going medieval style or rapier and buckler if we're looking more Renaissance fencing.
    Last edited by Mike_G; 2007-07-12 at 11:54 PM.
    Out of wine comes truth, out of truth the vision clears, and with vision soon appears a grand design. From the grand design we can understand the world. And when you understand the world, you need a lot more wine.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Pixie in the Playground

MindFlayer

See Drow of the Underdark for the feat Versatile combatant. Very useful

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

I have a gestalt bard-fighter who used a warhammer and a sickle. And no, I was NOT thinking communism when I made her. Weird, huh?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Iames Osari View Post
    Translation [of "Stop Posting"]: I don't know how to argue against this, so I'm just going to tell you to shut up in attempt to make it look like the counterargument is so blatantly obvious that I don't even need to explain it in a suitably condescending tone.
    Quote Originally Posted by .... View Post
    The proper way to run a fight at ECL90 gestalt is to line up and kick each other in the genitals. The first one who falls over loses and his character's soul is devoured by the winner.
    FREE video game and anime music!

25. - Top - End - #25

Quote Originally Posted by Dementrius View Post
    Or dual wand weilder rogue with a wand of grease and a wand of ray of frost --> ranged sneak attack every round*.

*for enemies without 5 ranks in Balance or immunity to sneak attack
    Heh, that just reminds me of this.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Simth View Post
    That doesn't generally work out unless they're thrown weapons - while hand crossbows and light crossbows can be fired with one hand, they still take two to load. And they take a feat to load as a free action.
    Not if you have the Ghostly Reload spell available...

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dr.cello View Post
    I had a ranger once who dual-wielded light maces. I thought it was pretty hilarious.
    Should go with Lightning Mace feat next time you try that. Anywhere from 0.05-infinity extra attacks per round is fun.

I've always pondered making like a Marilith with as many of the weapon-style feats from Complete Warrior as possible(sans Bear Fang, because any style that requires you to let other people have a chance to pick up your weapon blows big time).

For the record, those style feats were: Anvil of Thunder, Crescent Moon, Hammer's Edge, and High Sword Low Axe..
    Last edited by AtomicKitKat; 2007-07-13 at 11:39 AM.
    President of the Society for Hobgoblin Equality in Level Adjustment(SHELA)

Glowing Kitty from Lilly
    Wren Worgatar by Mephibosheth
    The Living Bullet!
    Unusual Inner Animal Avatar from Quincunx.
    Whenever you mention Pun-pun*SQUELCH!*, Ao kills another Kobold.
    Everytime someone says "Pazuzu" twice, Ao erases them on the next "Pa". Then he undeletes them so he can wipeinfo them from the multiverse.
    Everytime you kill a catgirl, I get more company.

28. - Top - End - #28

I got a reserve PC I played once that goes into the very unusual Five-WF.

Thri-kreen ranger + weapon finesse + improved natural attack + double bladed gythka + poisonous bite + ???? = lots of blood ... dinner ... and profit

29. - Top - End - #29

I made a Half-Giant who dual weilded Bastard Swords. And used Monkey Grip. Those were some big swords, though the off-hand one had to be normal size (large, in this case)
    If there's a rule, there's someone out there trying to figure out how to get around it just to piss off his DM.

Spoiler
    Show
    - The Jack-signal. Thanks Jokes!

Avatar created by Yeril, who made it look awesome.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PhallicWarrior View Post
    I had a monk w/ Monkey grip that duel wielded quarterstaves. (yeah, our DM was new to the game, why do you ask?)
    Sounds like your new to the game.

Monkey grip, never a good choice.
    == sarcasm in Shoe lingo.

You're the only one who can hold your head up high, Shake your fists at the gates saying:
    "I've come home now!
    Fetch me the spirit, the son, and the father. Tell them their pillar of faith has ascended.
    It's time now!
    My time now!
    Give me my, give me my wings!"

Tool - 10,000 days (wings part 2)